Sri Lanka (240/9) stun India (208) in 2nd ODI by 32 runs and gain 1-0 lead in three-match series

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Following an exciting tie in the first ODI, Sri Lanka and India are set to clash again in the second match of the three-game series today, Sunday, August 4, at R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.

The series opener saw both teams finishing their innings at 230, marking only the second tie in their ODI history.

weXpbx7.png

Squads:

Sri Lanka
Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka(c), Janith Liyanage, Dunith Wellalage, Akila Dananjaya, Mohamed Shiraz, Asitha Fernando, Jeffrey Vandersay, Chamika Karunaratne, Kamindu Mendis, Nishan Madushka, Maheesh Theekshana, Eshan Malinga

India Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Arshdeep Singh, Rishabh Pant, Khaleel Ahmed, Riyan Parag, Harshit Rana

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Want another tie game. I guess India should go ahead with full force and win this one.

Toss update:

Sri Lanka have won the toss and have opted to bat

Teams:

Sri Lanka
(Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka(c), Kamindu Mendis, Janith Liyanage, Dunith Wellalage, Akila Dananjaya, Asitha Fernando, Jeffrey Vandersay

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Arshdeep Singh

In Previous game, Gill's ridiculous 16(35), somehow was swept under the carpet. Very interesting to see how he does today

All Sri Lanka needs to do is produce a pitch like this and hope for a lucky toss to be competitive, as the crack is wide open and will worsen as the match progresses. And they’ve done their job.

I will just tune in later to see Rohit bat. No other interest for me in this match

I will just tune in later to see Rohit bat. No other interest for me in this match
They are developing a back up for Pandya by giving Dube a ball on a turning wicket. Won't be helpful. But they are keen on experimenting which is okay in bilaterals.

So SL has not beaten India in a bilateral series in 27 years? what i am surprised. I thought Jayasuriya had our number a few times.

This was given out and Kusal Mendis took more than 10 seconds to review it

1722767923986.png

Washington Sundar is in the form of his life!

Dismissed Avishka, Mendis & Asalanka - all set batters.

Gautam has done it all in his first 5 games as coach.

Gill bowled an over, rinku, SKY and now Rohit.

UIknnGS.png

Gautam has done it all in his first 5 games as coach.

Gill bowled an over, rinku, SKY and now Rohit.

UIknnGS.png
That is the idea. They have to start using bilaterals to shore up their depth. Cannot keep on playing one-dimensional team which find themselves short in crunch times.

So SL has not beaten India in a bilateral series in 27 years? what i am surprised. I thought Jayasuriya had our number a few times.
true...
dude was beast...especially when playing us...i remember that 150 odd in mumbai - watching live in stadium....his fore arms glistening and pumping like pistons...but i guess as the 2000's turned over-we've hardly lost to sl - anywhere...in any format....from memory - we pretty much blanked them in 2017 sl tour...winning all there was

Bilaterals were rare. Those days it was almost always a tri series which we used to keep losing.

i remember Rohit was part time bowler, why did he stop bowling?
onset of buddhapa...reco time is more once you bowl....
not the fittest going around - and does not look like he's let too many 2nd helpings of bombay vada paav, paav-bhaji and Poona missal pass him...
having said that as long as it does not affect his batting/6 hitting ability/fielding - am sure 90 pc of indian fans are ok with hitman being himself...:)

If we went onto lose this series, we will not play our CT matches here in SL and brother Jay Shah need to find a new venue :srini

Very 90s style ODI cricket this series...low scoring games.

I wish India batted first here...probably would have seen 300+ game

Innings Break

SL 240/9 (50)

Sri Lanka’s lower-order batters have helped them set a competitive total on the board

Can India chase it down?

Sri Lanka lower order is saving face against Indian bowlers in this series

Sri Lanka in this ODIs series against India

Top 6 batters: 2 inns, 256 runs, 4.0 rpo, 21.3 avg, 14.8 BPB
7-11 batters: 2 inns, 214 runs, 6 rpo, 42.8 avg, 9.3 BPB

First ODI
Top 6: 120/6
7-11: 110/2…

We're so lucky to have the best ODI batter in the world in Rohit and that he's willing to hold off his retirement. Just an incredible opener.

We're so lucky to have the best ODI batter in the world in Rohit and that he's willing to hold off his retirement. Just an incredible opener.

Very unselfish player. He is the reason we did so well in both of the recent world cups.

However, on tough days his unselfish nature costs us as well. Imagine he didn't play that shot against Maxwell, we will be champion in both ODI and T20 WC by now. It still hurts man, we were cruising.

Rohit Sharma & Shubman Gill partnerships against SL in ODIs since 2023

143 - Guwahati, 2023
33 - Kolkata, 2023
95 - Thiruvananthapuram, 2023
80 - Colombo, 2023
4 - Mumbai, 2023
75 - Colombo, 2024
53* - Colombo, 2024

Always! They're the best opening partnership in ODI cricket today and have been for more than a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very sold on Gill TBH. I think Jaiswal can do better job as ODI opener.
He has an average of 60 and a strike rate over 100. He's doing fine. It may very be the case that Gill-Jaiswal is our opening partnership at the next world cup. We'll have to wait and see.

Why are Lankan's crying?

Inside edge meaning you can't be LBW. Simple

Rohit - Gill last six partnerships in ODIs
62(35)
100(71)
71(50)
30(26)
75(76)
97(81)

And some people are want to Break this partnership to accomodate tuktukraj.

SL has never beaten India in bilateral ODI series if I am not worng.

Can anyone confirm?

SL has never beaten India in bilateral ODI series if I am not worng.

Can anyone confirm?
last time Sri Lanka beat India was in 1997. indian star players Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli were in school back then and Shubman Gill was not even born yet

Shivam Dubey should be kicked off immediately… there are thousands of good batsman in waiting

Kl gone.time to throw both iyer and kl.kohli should be given a warning shot .

What an spell by Vandersay . This is remind me Anjanta Mendis spell against India

Kl gone.time to throw both iyer and kl.kohli should be given a warning shot .
Kl can get you 30 runs usually. His only issue is pressure. He can’t handle it.

Iyer is never reliable. His only skill is batting and he is average at it. Does not deserve a spot in the team.

Kl can get you 30 runs usually. His only issue is pressure. He can’t handle it.

Iyer is never reliable. His only skill is batting and he is average at it. Does not deserve a spot in the team.
We need players with clutch mentality not a forever mental midget. We have pant, jurel as back up .If kl can't handle srilanka, how can he get the job done against good teams

Very good match. This is a wake up call for India to cleanse the team. Iyer, KL, Dube have no reason to be in the team. Kohli is also struggling against good spin forever and hasn’t been able to improve. Only Rohit seems to be top class but continues to give back the initiative.

Vandersay's 6-fer against India!

10th occasion when a spinner took 5 wickets or more at R.Premadasa (Colombo) in ODIs - Joint most with Harare Sports Club.

Now that Sri Lanka is back, super quality spinners, for which they have been known for

Vandersay still has 3 overs left. He has already taken 6 wickets. Can he reach Chaminda Vaas's 8-fer?

Back