Talent Spotter: Umaid Asif

violet_may

ODI Debutant
Runs
PakPassion.net continues to bring its members and guests information on the best upcoming talent in Pakistan, with another in the Talent Spotter Series

Name: Umaid Asif

Place of Birth: Sialkot, Punjab

Height: 6 ft 5 in

Major teams: Sialkot Stallions, Water and Power Development Authority, National Bank of Pakistan

Batting style: Right-hand bat

Bowling style: Right-arm medium-fast

Stock Ball: My natural ball is the inswinger but I can also bowl the outswinger.

Early Inspiration: Imran Khan was my favourite ever since the 1992 World Cup. After that, I saw Waqar and Wasim bowl and I perceived these two as legends. So after watching these players quite a few times, I began to think that yes, I have to do something for Pakistan as well.

Then in the 1996 World Cup when we lost against India, I cried a bit [chuckles] and thought to myself that this shouldn't have happened. I decided in my heart then that I wanted to play for Pakistan.

Emergence into cricket: I wasn't completely sure about cricket because I used to think that I am not even that tall, plus my family wanted me to focus on studies. Hence, I went to Lahore and did my A-levels. There, I started playing with tape ball cricket and then in the school team I began playing with the hard ball.

Secondly, because I had a good height, people started saying that why don't you start bowling? So when I started bowling, then Masha'Allah my natural action was quite good. Furthermore, I wasn't a part of any club teams yet and my uncle helped me in this regards. He told me to come to the nets and when I delivered the first ball, he said you bowl exceptionally well so you should join a club team. When I joined the club though, I told everyone at home that I am playing cricket. However, my studies were also at a crucial stage so I was told to finish my studies first and then start playing cricket again.

Regardless, I kept on playing cricket side by side although my father never really came to see me play. Then when I stopped studying and my mother passed away, it was after this that I really started to concentrate on cricket.

Getting selected for First-class cricket: For the first two years or so, there was no one there to tell me how much effort is required in club cricket and what one needs to do. Later, I found out that some WAPDA coaches had their eyes on me and I am really grateful to Amjad Saddiq (WAPDA coach) for noticing me. He called me up for trials as the First-class season was about to begin (around 2008). I showed up for the trials, did some bowling and there, they stopped me and said we will have you play in First-class cricket.

First-class Debut: Yes, you could say that perhaps my debut into First-class cricket (in the year 2009) was a bit delayed but since I was busy with studies, I couldn't play earlier. You know, age doesn't really matter as long as you are fit and you have enough talent to play cricket. When I joined some did say that it is a bit too late for you, but then again Rana Naved was playing, Misbah-ul-Haq was playing, so I said why not? Therefore, I kept on working hard and Masha'Allah, I received the rewards of my efforts as I played for WAPDA, bowled well against National Bank and as a result, they offered me a contract for this year and now I am playing for them.

Top Bowling Speed: I didn't know about my own speed but other people who have seen me, such as Shabbir Ahmed from WAPDA, he used to say that you seem to possess a pretty good amount of speed [and appear to be quick]. I asked him how fast do I seem and he said that my speed was probably around 90 mph, or it was 88+ and around 88 mph or 89 mph. It hasn't been checked with a speed gun yet so let's see.

Bowling action: People say that my action is similar to Abdul Razzaq. It is a high arm action.

Cricketing role model: Imran Khan, without a doubt.

Experience with international players: You get to learn a lot from international players, such as about confidence. For instance, when Rana Naved was the captain, from him, I learned about the importance of aggression and maintaining focus. They all provide guidance to me and obviously, because the international players have already been through the process, they know what the up and coming players need to do in order to make it through.

So they have helped me a lot. In addition to this, when I came to National Bank, the international players here further instilled a sense of belief in me because the main thing is about one's level of confidence. They said that the difference between you and the international players is that of confidence and luck. If you work hard then luck will be with you but you have to acquire the confidence yourself.

Shabbir Ahmed, Khurram Manzoor and Kamran Akmal [in the role of captain] are some international players who have helped me in this regards (i.e. confidence).

Toughest opponent: In the last season, I found Habib Bank's left-handed opening batsman Shan Masood a bit difficult in getting out. He has a great temperament and I recall that last year, from the 27 overs that I bowled to him, he remained not out for 25 overs. I found that he was a good player technique wise. In this season though, I didn't find anyone too tough to face.

I don't think to myself that a certain batsman is a tough opponent but rather, my efforts are always geared towards the thought that I am a bowler and as such, I have to dismiss whichever batsman is put in front of me.

Memorable performances: A memorable performance for me occurred in this season against ZTBL, where I obtained a five-for in the second innings of the match. The thing was that they had obtained a lead and we had to get them out quickly in order to win. So when we bowled them out in the second innings, my figures were that of 5-39 (including wickets of international cricketers such as Imran Nazir and Yasir Hameed) and we won that match.

I felt good bowling them out. The aim was that I had to get Imran Nazir out because yes, there is a bit of 'fear' in every bowler when one bowls to him. However, Kamran Akmal said that he is a bit weak when it comes to playing inswing, so I kept on bowling that and he kept on getting beaten and while Imran Nazir did try to hit the ball, luckily those shots didn't transpire and he subsequently got out.

In terms of a memorable batting performance, while playing in the second match of the First-class cricket season (against Habib Bank Limited), I scored 67 runs at the number nine position. Also in that match, a lot of good bowlers were playing such as Umar Gul, Sarmad Anwar, Danish Kaneria, Abdur Rehman and Fahad Masood. So against them I scored 67 runs.

Bowler or All-rounder: I want to develop in to a valuable all-rounder because that is an aim for me. Imran Khan is the ideal role model for this since he too was a bowling all-rounder and therefore, my aim is to follow the same route.

Future goals: The objective is to play for Pakistan and nothing else. From the very beginning I had this desire that no matter what, I have to do something for my country in any way possible. A lot of people nowadays will say go abroad somewhere, but I believe in staying here because one can contribute through whatever field they are in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although he went for runs he looked quite impressive for :ss in the FB Super 8 T20 last year.

Not sure about Razzaq, he reminded me a lot more of Ishant Sharma in terms of bowling style.

Good luck to him!

I felt good bowling them out. The aim was that I had to get Imran Nazir out because yes, there is a bit of 'fear' in every bowler when one bowls to him. However, Kamran Akmal said that he is a bit weak when it comes to playing inswing, so I kept on bowling that and he kept on getting beaten and while Imran Nazir did try to hit the ball, luckily those shots didn't transpire and he subsequently got out

LOL!! Imran Nazir.. bachay bachay ko pta hai nazir ki weakness :p

Seen him bowl in the T20 cup........Seems to have alot of potential and is very tall which is an advantage......Should be groomed and encouraged.

27 perhaps, but age is just a number. :cheema

I am not sure about him playing in Yorshire. Perhaps someone else knows? Haven't heard about this.

They all claim they can swing the new ball both ways, but when it comes to international matches they somehow lose the ability.

That's what we can read on his FB fan page

Musbah-ul-haq praising umaid,s pace on geo super. Watch opinion from a cricket expert

He's defo. phast.

He was definitely bowling pretty fast at the FBT20 sadly the ball was going to the boundary even faster :sami

I have seen him in league cricket.He plays for Treeton cc in south yorkshire cricket league.very Tall fast bowler with great bounce and can bat as well,Has potential to be a very good all rounder.

I have seen him in league cricket.He plays for Treeton cc in south yorkshire cricket league.very Tall fast bowler with great bounce and can bat as well,Has potential to be a very good all rounder.

yes has got quite a few quick runs for treeton cc. He wasnt playing when i faced treeton cc however the club and rest of league spoke highly of him. However is he international class? im not sure tbh

If he is good, he should be tried for LOI's ASAP. I don't want him to be another Cheema or Tanveer Ahmad.

We will see him when he is out of form and rubbish(Abdul Rauf) not when he is quick and confident.

What's the point PP doing all these talent spotters if the PCB are going to ignore these young lions and pick grandfathers like Cheema constantly

i think he can a regular 140kph if given some attention and a chance at the international stage. He got the ball to swing a bit also. Unfortunately our retarded selectors will only look at his stats for the match which in the end didn't turn out to be as good as how good the guy bowls.

i think he can a regular 140kph if given some attention and a chance at the international stage. He got the ball to swing a bit also. Unfortunately our retarded selectors will only look at his stats for the match which in the end didn't turn out to be as good as how good the guy bowls.

Dave Whatmore, Saleem Jaffar and Azhar khan are in the stadium and looking for the new talent. A good sign for Pakistan cricket.

He has re-signed to play for Treeton CC (South Yorkshire Cricket League)

top class bowler and much better than whole bunch of our national team bowlers.

give the guy a chance. At 27, he easily has another 5-7 good years of medium fast/fast bowling left in him. He could turn out to be very useful, especially when we play south africa. Give cheema rest for a while, then give gul rest for a while so Umaid can get a fair number of chances. Even if he is 30, he still deserves a shot.

can he out swing ?

after i saw recording of india vs pak recent and the final ... noticed serious lack of out swing .

He's really having a stunning season. Did well in National T20 Cup and Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and now today put in another great all-round performance.

Took 3/47 (8 overs) as the opponents made 272/7 in 43 overs.

Then came in and hit 34 off 13 with 4 sixes at the back end to help his side register a last-ball victory.

He's really having a stunning season. Did well in National T20 Cup and Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and now today put in another great all-round performance.

Took 3/47 (8 overs) as the opponents made 272/7 in 43 overs.

Then came in and hit 34 off 13 with 4 sixes at the back end to help his side register a last-ball victory.

Also looks quite fit for his age, decent fielder too.

Joins PZ as cover for Hasan who is still recovering from injury.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Alhumdulillah. Glad to be the part of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/YellowStorm?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#YellowStorm</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HBLPSL?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HBLPSL</a>. Would like to thank <a href="https://twitter.com/PeshawarZalmi?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PeshawarZalmi</a> management for giving me this opportunity. Would try my best to exceed your expectations. JazakAllah. Request for prayers. <a href="https://t.co/wgVf5cnXDn">https://t.co/wgVf5cnXDn</a></p>— Umaid Asif (@Oomad_A) <a href="https://twitter.com/Oomad_A/status/964137893265592320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This guy should have been playing when Pakistan were struggling in the pace department when Asif and Amir were banned

About 10kmh more and this guy is someone you can take to South Africa to cause havoc

Assalamoalaikum. Dear bro how are you ?

Bro Rana what were his speeds like on average ? Top speed ?

I didn't note the speed closely but saw a few in the early 130s and one a couple at 135/136. Don't think he bowled faster than 136 with most in the early 130s. I could be wrong as I said I didn't pay close attention to his pace.

Assalamoalaikum. Dear bro how are you ?

Bro Rana what were his speeds like on average ? Top speed ?

Wasalam brother, I'm well Alhamdolillah

I would say he's averaging 130kmh, the odd 135 and sometimes 129. Not threatening pace but he makes the most out of his height and lovely action by hitting good areas.

A poor man's Morne Morkel so far

Could do well for Pakistan in Test cricket. Has an Ambrose like bowling action with a high arm and seams the ball.

Tamim Iqbal denying him a 5fer on debut. Regulation catch dropped

Surprised to see he is nearly 34 but has only played 54 FC matches. Where was he all this time?

I didn't note the speed closely but saw a few in the early 130s and one a couple at 135/136. Don't think he bowled faster than 136 with most in the early 130s. I could be wrong as I said I didn't pay close attention to his pace.

JazaakAllah brother. He deserved this PSL. Happy for his success uptil now.

Wasalam brother, I'm well Alhamdolillah

I would say he's averaging 130kmh, the odd 135 and sometimes 129. Not threatening pace but he makes the most out of his height and lovely action by hitting good areas.

A poor man's Morne Morkel so far

Good to know about your well being. Alhamdoulillah.

Good insight bro :)

Surprised to see he is nearly 34 but has only played 54 FC matches. Where was he all this time?

Education meant late start. Than regional politics plus he did not put attention on his fitness followed by domestic ban due to doping. (It was a mistake wrt prescription as per him)

JazaakAllah brother. He deserved this PSL. Happy for his success uptil now.

Good to know about your well being. Alhamdoulillah.

Good insight bro :)

Education meant late start. Than regional politics plus he did not put attention on his fitness followed by domestic ban due to doping. (It was a mistake wrt prescription as per him)

Shame. He could have been a real asset but 34 is far too late for a fast bowler to make it at the international level.

Happy for him. Tbf he hadn't done much last few seasons but this season he's been amazing so can't really say Pakistan missed a chance. Tbf, if he carries on doing good he could get a spot in the Pakistan team for even 1-2 years on merit.

Umaid Asif First Impression

Nice tall guy
Excellent action
Good pace
Good matured line and length

Today was the debut match for him in PSL 3 and he took 4 good wickets with great bowling

Video of his four wickets

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x6f8jx3" allowfullscreen allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Kept working hard to get my chance: Umaid

A spectacular exhibition of fast bowling by a not-so-young debutant combined with a teenager wrist spinner's daring to toss his leg breaks gave mighty former champions a humbling experience in the fourth match in the third edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

The greenish Dubai International Cricket Stadium square was a surprise even for the Peshawar Zalmi pace bowler who wrecked former champions Islamabad Zalmi. "I have played in the past in Dubai but this was for the first time I saw green top," Umaid Asif, who took four wickets in 11 balls, said at a post-match media briefing.

"The pitch had a good carry," opined the 33-year-old bowler, who was not picked in the original draft despite taking most wickets (14 from nine matches) in Pakistan's domestic T20 tournament. After being ignored by the franchises, Umaid had tweeted about his disappointment after not being picked even as a 21st player but later deleted the tweet. "Yes, I was disappointed but not disheartened and kept working hard to get my chance," he said, adding that he hopes to do play and do well for Pakistan.

Islamabad United head coach Dean Jones praised the bowler for his performance that dealt a dedly blow for his team in their first match of the season. "Rusty. I'm keeping it clean. As is everyone. That is the worst performance Islamabad has played in three PSLs," he reasoned in a post-match interaction with journalists. "It can only go upwards," he wished and conceded that his bowlers didn't bowl well. "They (Zalmi) took their chances, Akmal played really well. We didn't hit our defensive lines and lengths early," he explained the underperforming bowlers' short comings in the match.

"At 100 off 10, you are pushing it from there. The bottom line is, four for 25 in four, the game is over in the 24th over. We are better than that," he added. He also agreed that Islamabad were never good starters from first season. "We are normally not the greatest starters in the world. We take a while to get ourselves ready and wound up. But I remind you, it is not what you do at the start, it is what you do at the end."

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/cricket/kept-working-hard-to-get-my-chance-umaid

Pakistan Super League: A tale of two brothers

Dubai: Umaid Asif, who stunned Islamabad United with a deadly four wicket spell in his Pakistan Super League debut match for Peshawar Zalmi, has made his elder brother and UAE batsman Faizan Asif very proud. Interestingly, Umaid had often flown in his brother many times to play in UAE’s domestic cricket for Ibsons Cricket Club and he had even bagged the best bowler award in the third edition of the SuperStars T20 tournament here.

Although extremely talented and consistent in Pakistan’s domestic cricket, the 33-year-old Umaid never got a break. He was the highest wicket-taker in Pakistan’s National T20 tournament in November last year. He got picked for Islamabad as replacement for Hasan Ali, who incurred an ankle injury. Umaid grabbed his first chance with both hands to prove that he is a deadly match winner.

Speaking to Gulf News, Faizan said: “I am so proud of my brother. He has shown that working hard is the best way to achieve one’s goals and he is an example of not giving up despite the toughest of circumstances.”

Faizan, who is a fine left-handed top order batsman, is one who never gave up his dreams of playing international cricket despite having to leave Pakistan to earn a living and is employed with Emirates Islamic Bank here. “Being a full-time banker it was not easy to play like a professional cricketer while managing a full-time job but my passion towards the game gave me the chance to represent UAE in Twenty20 2015 World Cup squad,” said Faizan who plays for Eurocon Alubond in UAE now.

Umaid too never gave up his studies for cricket and is a Chartered Accountant and works for the State Bank of Pakistan. When Umaid was sought after by journalists to learn more about him, he said: “I came to Lahore [from Sialkot where he was born] and while pursuing my studies for chartered accountancy I played club cricket, too. I feel my performance against Islamabad is the result of working hard and performing well in the ground.”

Faizan described his brother’s traits: “Umaid has been always been very determined and focused from a very early age. He has grown up seeing cricket within our family and started his club cricket in Lahore. He is labelled as a genius in cricket circles due to his intelligence, strong determination and hard work, something I believe can work towards achieving goals. For me, my brother has been a source of motivation and whenever we meet we motivate each other as it has never been as easy journey for us and we had to face lot of hardships.”

So after his deadly spell when Umaid was asked whether he hopes to play for Pakistan one day, he said: “I will take one game at a time and give my best. I will stick to my natural variations in bowling, like I did in the Pakistan National T20 tournament, to pick up wickets.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/h...super-league-a-tale-of-two-brothers-1.2178946

Seems like a well-educated player as he has done A-Levels and then CA. A rare commodity in Pakistan cricket.

[MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION] do you see umaid succeeding in England?

[MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION] do you see umaid succeeding in England?

Sorry I haven’t seen his PSL exploits yet.

I think Waqas Ahmed deserves it on merit. He is 5 to 8 kph quicker, younger and has had an excellent season. I hope he is reading and loses some weight in the upcoming months.

But after a talent drought I am really happy to see a lot of players coming up thanks to Honest diligent intelligent sharp Najam Aziz Sethi at the helm of affairs. [MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] bro will be in total agreement :)

Sorry I haven’t seen his PSL exploits yet.

I think Waqas Ahmed deserves it on merit. He is 5 to 8 kph quicker, younger and has had an excellent season. I hope he is reading and loses some weight in the upcoming months.

But after a talent drought I am really happy to see a lot of players coming up thanks to Honest diligent intelligent sharp Najam Aziz Sethi at the helm of affairs. [MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] bro will be in total agreement :)

Najam Sethi has done an excellent job so far regarding PSL,The next thing he has to do is to arrange regular A tours and upgrade domestic pitches as you people always say.
Waqas guy was good in a clip who was moving it both ways but Umaid has height on his advantage.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New-style celebration by Umaid Asif <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSL2018?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PSL2018</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PZvQG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PZvQG</a> <a href="https://t.co/LF3wexSEkS">pic.twitter.com/LF3wexSEkS</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/976155978398945280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New-style celebration by Umaid Asif <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSL2018?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PSL2018</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PZvQG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PZvQG</a> <a href="https://t.co/LF3wexSEkS">pic.twitter.com/LF3wexSEkS</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/976155978398945280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 20, 2018</a></blockquote>

That one is weird.

His other celebration is better (similar to Kaka)
isoqrRSt_400x400.jpg

I know some people don't like him much, but his attitude is fantastic. That along with his bowling can get him in the team and I won't mind.

Back