The Ashes | 4th Test | MCG | Day 1 | 26/12/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
that was a lovely length with a touch of away movement. This guy is one quality bowler..Tremlett

It was pretty much suicide to make a greentop against England though, Australia have made their own bed.

for me, SA and England the top 2 test sides at the moment...England have a top attack with good bech strength. All they need is an all-rounder and they are the complete team.

Feel sorry for the Australians amongst the 90,000+ people.

all 10 caught, so annoyed I cannot see this. Stupid cable walas. Why cant they show supersport

Very well bowled by Jimmy and Tremlet, England will probably give them a lead of 300+, Ashes will be retained by the English, what a terrific Test series this has been. Not expecting fireworks from the Aussie bowlers but from Cook's batting

what the hell has happened? woke up and aussies 98 all out.

in tremlett and bresnan are england modelling their upcoming bowlers on asif??!

Just saw Clarke's wicket on replay - a typical Clarke dismissal, have seen him get out just prodding on the walk like that a lot of times.

Very well bowled by Jimmy and Tremlet, England will probably give them a lead of 300+, Ashes will be retained by the English, what a terrific Test series this has been. Not expecting fireworks from the Aussie bowlers but from Cook's batting

It's not over yet. Not an easy pitch to bat on, I don't think.

This should pan out a bit like PakAus Headigley but I expect England to get a huge lead. Innings win should be on the card unless Australia pull off a miracle.

Yeah its not an easy pitch to bat on, wouldn't be surprised to see England losing early wickets as well.

Some Aussie shock jock on the radio has said oz are favorites and have been as soon as they batted first. Apparently chasing even a small total on these drop-in pitches at the MCG in the 4th innings is impossible.
England need a healthy lead.

Some Aussie shock jock on the radio has said oz are favorites and have been as soon as they batted first. Apparently chasing even a small total on these drop-in pitches at the MCG in the 4th innings is impossible.
England need a healthy lead.

Why Aussies worry about 4th innings when they won't be able to make the poms bat in the 4th inns

Man, Aussies have gone too soft and weak.

After the WACA, they should have lifted the pitch from WACA and put it in the MCG.

seriusly, whatever happened to home team advantage

98? is that all you can manage? No steyn and yet you couldn't even cross 136? :D

To say heads will roll after the Ashes as far as Australia is concerned is a serious understatement.

Well, this is a surprise. The simple application of the heavy roller appears to have completely transformed the pitch, doesn't it? Not sure what that says about the pitch preparation...

I don't think there is that much in the pitch, we just batted badly yet again. All 10 wickets caught....

Siddle bowling well, everyone else bowling rubbish. Epic defeat coming up I fear.

fell asleep at lunch again, I always miss the best bits.

erm.

WOW.

almost got the lead for no wickets lost here.

pinch me.

Official attendance just under 85,000. I doubt even half of those are still in the ground. Talk about fickle!

Listen to the crowd.

Whenever we've played well then it has been practically like a home game - at least 3 out of 4 tests, then.

If Australia don't stay disciplined this could turn into an absolute rout tonight.

what does everyone reckon is the magic number we have to make to retain the Ashes? I say 400. 300 would be nice too.

It's not over yet. Not an easy pitch to bat on, I don't think.
It's a typical MCG pitch. You could argue that cloud cover helped the English bowlers but some of the shots were not good. England won't lose this opportunity to get a lead in the series.

in the space of two sessions, the biggest test match of the year has turned into a chance for England batsmen to boost their averages!

To say heads will roll after the Ashes as far as Australia is concerned is a serious understatement.

Or even after this game, if they lose.

The cosy home wicket at Perth aside, the real Australia has been on display at Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne and has been getting worse every time.

Must be the worst first day of a test match EVER in the history of Australian Cricket. They literally could not have done worse

From what I can see, England have just been playing normally.

Leave the ball outside the off stump, and cut or pull the bad ball when it comes.

98 all out is a joke I'm afraid.

in the space of two sessions, the biggest test match of the year has turned into a chance for England batsmen to boost their averages!

Could'nt agree more with you. Sad to watch from a neutral's perspective as well.

From what I can see, England have just been playing normally.

Leave the ball outside the off stump, and cut or pull the bad ball when it comes.

98 all out is a joke I'm afraid.
I'm glad England are winning, but Australia getting out for 98 in just over 40 overs is I agree a joke.

I wanted an epic test match, but now what will happen is England will bat and get a score of 400, maybe 500, and leave Australia to try and bat out the remaining days (which is near impossible).

I'm very disappointed really. The all out 98 was exciting, but now it's pretty boring (especially watching cook bat lol). England look untroubled here, and Australia pretty much think they've thrown it away.

The England bowlers bowled well (look what happens when all the bowlers keep up the pressure lol), but this pitch isn't that hard to bat on. All England are doing is batting with patience and milking the runs.

I thought Eng were supposed to be intimidated by 91000 people at the MCG...............looks like its the Aussies that have been intimidated by their own crowd :)))

Listen to the crowd.

I could hear Billy the Trumpet player doing "The Johnson Family" song.

Unfortunately (for himself) Mitch blamed his poor performance in the 2009 Ashes series on his mind being distracted by a bitter spat between his wife and his mother. Not very wise.

Now England fans taunt him with a song to the tune of The Adams Family:

"Your mother hates your missus,
Your missus hates your mother,
You all hate each other,
The Johnson Family!"

Not very nice I suppose, but mild stuff compared with the "mental disintegration" the Aussie players have prided themselves on over the years.

The exodus of fickle, disloyal Aussie supporters has left Mitch and his chums at the mercy of the Barmy Army!

^ The English fans will be happy but this is terrible for test cricket. Australia ought to have put up a good fight today. It sucks that Australian bowlers now need favourable conditions to be effective

I'm glad England are winning, but Australia getting out for 98 in just over 40 overs is I agree a joke.

I wanted an epic test match, but now what will happen is England will bat and get a score of 400, maybe 500, and leave Australia to try and bat out the remaining days (which is near impossible).

I'm very disappointed really. The all out 98 was exciting, but now it's pretty boring (especially watching cook bat lol). England look untroubled here, and Australia pretty much think they've thrown it away.

The England bowlers bowled well (look what happens when all the bowlers keep up the pressure lol), but this pitch isn't that hard to bat on. All England are doing is batting with patience and milking the runs.

With the very generously prepared English summer wicket, the overhead conditions and the Barmy Army, we are pretty much playing a home game here. Can barely believe our luck.

50 for Strauss. Been a reasonably good series for him as a batsman, but more so as a captain. Pleasantly surprising.

A coming-of-age tour for Alistair Cook.

Another top class England opener in the making.

Just don't burden him with the captaincy when the time comes.

I hope Alaistar Cook scores another double century and increases his average to 50. Such a classy stylish player

Official attendance just under 85,000. I doubt even half of those are still in the ground. Talk about fickle!

Why should they waste their holidays watching a bunch of millionaries who are on every advertisement on TV deliver **** like this?

Just not an acceptable performance by anyone's standards.

Australia don't even look like taking a wicket.

honourable mention - 16 scalps at 26 with econ of under 3 and bowled a ton of overs. Anderson a strike bowler, who'da tunk it?

BBC Test Match Special's Jim Maxwell
"This is the most one-sided first day of a Test that I've ever seen - even including games with Bangladesh or Zimbabwe."

ouch.

BBC Test Match Special's Jim Maxwell
"This is the most one-sided first day of a Test that I've ever seen - even including games with Bangladesh or Zimbabwe."

ouch.

True. I can't remember any worst first day of a test match as this. I feel sorry for Aussie fans. They deserved better on boxing day

True. I can't remember any worst first day of a test match as this. I feel sorry for Aussie fans. They deserved better on boxing day

Dead right. 80,000 tickets at $50 each = $4 million dollars of cricket fan's money spent to watch a totally unacceptable performance from the start to the finish of the day.

We should sack the coach, the bowling coach, the batting coach, the captain, the vice captain and a few others just for the hell of it. Oh yeah and every single selector should be shot out of a cannon.

Normally cricket doesn't bug me too much but that is just pathetic. These guys don't deserve to represent my country on that performance.

Dead right. 80,000 tickets at $50 each = $4 million dollars of cricket fan's money spent to watch a totally unacceptable performance from the start to the finish of the day.

We should sack the coach, the bowling coach, the batting coach, the captain, the vice captain and a few others just for the hell of it. Oh yeah and every single selector should be shot out of a cannon.

Normally cricket doesn't bug me too much but that is just pathetic. These guys don't deserve to represent my country on that performance.

Imagine having a smiliar feeling for most part of the year since the last quarter of a decade or so. Tough being a supporter isn't it!

Shockingly one-sided stuff.

Makes for great drama, but my oh my - how the mighty have fallen!

Now you sound like a real PakPassioner :asif

With the very generously prepared English summer wicket, the overhead conditions and the Barmy Army, we are pretty much playing a home game here. Can barely believe our luck.

England bowled really well. Ponting has done himself not many favours losing the toss so often. He was lucky to get away with it at the WACA as Hussey saved them but I reckon he would have bowled first there too and likewise today.

Same thing happened to him at Sydney vs us, nice green wicket and we rolled them up. Unfortunately, we also rolled up ourselves in the 4th innings lol.

I think England will be no.1 Test Team soon, they have the bowlers, Tremlet, Anderson, Broad and Swanny, they also have backup bowlers in Finn, Bresnan whereas South Africa only have Steyn. If Steyn flops in one match, Saffers are doomed.

England's got 5 world class batsmen to back up their bowlers, Strauss, Cook, Petersen, Bell and Trott, they surely will be no.1 and hold the position in the coming years.

Last edited:
Why should they waste their holidays watching a bunch of millionaries who are on every advertisement on TV deliver **** like this?

Just not an acceptable performance by anyone's standards.

Very rare when you see an Aussie sound just like a typical Pakistan team fan :)))

I think England will be no.1 Test Team soon, they have the bowlers, Tremlet, Anderson, Broad and Swanny, they also have backup bowlers in Finn, Bresnan whereas South Africa only have Steyn. If Steyn flops in one match, Saffers are doomed.

England's got 5 world class batsmen to back up their bowlers, Strauss, Cook, Petersen, Bell and Trott, they surely will be no.1 and hold the position in the coming years.

No.. don't go by the looks of this match.. by preparing a green wicket (melbourne bounce is traditionally less and similar to england pitches) aid by overcast conditions helped england a great deal. Only one team in the world to make the most out of such situation and that is england. Australia made a big mistake by preparing a seaming track.

If there is one team which can win anywhere then that is SA. Gritty openers, top class batsman in Kallis (also world's best all rounder), future world number ones in De Villiers, Mr. Consistent Amla, best wicket keeper in boucher, best opening pair in bowling in the form of steyn and morkel.. variety in the form of parnell or tsotsobe.. If there is one weak area, then that is spin, but other areas are too strong.. Only SA has the potential to dominate like what aussies did during the late 90s and early 2000s

Australia don't even look like taking a wicket.

honourable mention - 16 scalps at 26 with econ of under 3 and bowled a ton of overs. Anderson a strike bowler, who'da tunk it?

England just have to bat normally for a day now. The wicket will probably get flatter so the OZ will bat better in the second dig. They have to - there are careers and honour on the line.

Utterly stupid to create an English-style wicket for Jimmy and Trem. They have both done so well, and Trem's career figures suddenly look world-class!

Gobsmacked by the performance of Bres too - I thought he would have been whacked on the up, but once again England made the right choice for this deck, with Bres keeping it tight for the strike bowlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back