The Ashes: England v Australia | 2nd Test | Lord's | Jun 28-Jul 02 | Day 1

You are cherrypicking matches to suit your argument.

Maybe you didnt watch when India were 242-3, then Lyon destroyed the batting line up claiming 7 wickets? Aus ended up winning the match by 43 runs.

Even Root has taken a couple of wickets here on day 1. Lyon will be a terror on day 5. Poor selection from England, too arrogant.

Fully agree. Having watched last half an hour I am convinced Aus are much ahead in the game. It will both reverse and spin. England's decision at the toss likely to haunt them for the remainder of this game

You are cherrypicking matches to suit your argument.

Maybe you didnt watch when India were 242-3, then Lyon destroyed the batting line up claiming 7 wickets? Aus ended up winning the match by 43 runs.

Even Root has taken a couple of wickets here on day 1. Lyon will be a terror on day 5. Poor selection from England, too arrogant.

Australia has won only 2 tests in India with Lyon in the side. One was Okeefe test where he outbowled Lyon comfortably. Other one was the low scoring Indore pitch where every spinner took wicket. He didn't destroy anyone on a normal pitch. For example 4th test India piled up 571 runs. He took 3 for 151.

Fully agree. Having watched last half an hour I am convinced Aus are much ahead in the game. It will both reverse and spin. England's decision at the toss likely to haunt them for the remainder of this game

I missed the most of the day, why did Stokes field? Was it green with thick overhead conditions? Only reason to ever field first at Lords.

Pitch has no pace. that is going to be a problem. Most of the balls just die before getting to the keeper. We have to wait and see whether Starc can extract something out of it. Although i must say Broad looked penetrative in the morning with little luck.

339 for 5.

Aussies will take that any day of the week.

Day 1 to the tourists.

Australia had the opportunity to completely bat England out of the game. I can forgive Head's shot as he has no defensive technique against spin. But Green's dismissal was stupid.

Australia has won only 2 tests in India with Lyon in the side. One was Okeefe test where he outbowled Lyon comfortably. Other one was the low scoring Indore pitch where every spinner took wicket. He didn't destroy anyone on a normal pitch. For example 4th test India piled up 571 runs. He took 3 for 151.

India produce low and often flat pitches which do often turn but you need runs on the board. OF course Indians along with Pakistanis are the best players of spin but Lyon overall has a good record v India. Taking 121 wickets in 27 matches at an avg around 30.

If you think this is poor v India, you are not giving enough credit to your own batsmen. :sachin

More than everyone else combined in India in that period though

A lacklustre display from England and an ominous unbeaten 85 from Steve Smith gave Australia much the better of the first day of the second Ashes Test at Lord's.

After England won what appeared to be a crucial toss in dank conditions, their bowling lacked penetration and fielding again included costly errors.

And Smith, looking determined after missing out in both innings of Australia's victory in the first Test, capitalised to move Australia to 339-5.

David Warner made 66 before Smith added 102 with Marnus Labuschagne and 118 with Travis Head, who swatted 77 from 73 balls.

Josh Tongue, on his Ashes debut, was the pick of the England attack, bowling each of Warner and Usman Khawaja with lethal movement down the Lord's slope.

Joe Root at least removed Head and Cameron Green in the same over late in the day, but Smith's continued presence is a huge danger to the home side.

On a day where an attempt at disruption by Just Stop Oil protestors was largely thwarted, England's Ollie Pope suffered a shoulder injury and spent most of the last two sessions off the field.

And by the end, England were left needing a swift turnaround on day two to get back into this Test and the series.

India produce low and often flat pitches which do often turn but you need runs on the board. OF course Indians along with Pakistanis are the best players of spin but Lyon overall has a good record v India. Taking 121 wickets in 27 matches at an avg around 30.

If you think this is poor v India, you are not giving enough credit to your own batsmen. :sachin

Not the current Indian line up. Current Indian line up is one of the worst against spin. Axar patel showed with his batting. He outbatted everyone from the top order. Didn't you see India was 74/7 against Bangladesh at Mirpur chasing 145 in 4th inning?

Not to digress, the match is still not over one way or the other. I mean i won't say it will certainly end in A ustralian draw or England loss yet. We have to wait and see tomorrow. Only reason i can predict that England is out of the game because i expect England's bowling to be even worse in the 2nd innings.

I missed the most of the day, why did Stokes field? Was it green with thick overhead conditions? Only reason to ever field first at Lords.

Overhead conditions but not a speck of grass on the pitch. If there's no rain this pitch will definitely help lyon a lot

339 for 5.

Aussies will take that any day of the week.

Day 1 to the tourists.

Another excellent day of test cricket.

Aus will be looking for another 100 runs.

England bowlers will have stiff legs but must run in with aggression.

Not the current Indian line up. Current Indian line up is one of the worst against spin. Axar patel showed with his batting. He outbatted everyone from the top order. Didn't you see India was 74/7 against Bangladesh at Mirpur chasing 145 in 4th inning?

Yes, not sure what has happened to the Indian batting line up but this is for another thread.

How many wickets do you predict Lyon taking in this match? I think he will pick up 6/7.

Overhead conditions but not a speck of grass on the pitch. If there's no rain this pitch will definitely help lyon a lot

It is still terrible show by ENgland given that they have bowled tailor made for this condition. Atleast India had the excuse that they mostly had hit the deck bowlers.

Yes, not sure what has happened to the Indian batting line up but this is for another thread.

How many wickets do you predict Lyon taking in this match? I think he will pick up 6/7.

5 wickets minimum given the bazball approach of England. If England wants to draw the test they can certainly do. But i don't think they will do. They will either blaze away or committ harakiri and play catch up game.

Then shocking decision to bowl first.

Australian batting is full of confidence as they chased down one of their highest targets ever. Sure some were not at their best but you dont give them bat again when they so up and high. England could have batted them out of the game, put their bowlers under pressure and tired them out. This will cost them the match imo and possibly the Ashes.

It is still terrible show by ENgland given that they have bowled tailor made for this condition. Atleast India had the excuse that they mostly had hit the deck bowlers.

Agree. There was enough on offer especially for first 40 overs but England's pacers looked under pressure to deliver and justify stokes decision at the toss. They could not bowl consistent lines n lengths as a result

5 wickets minimum given the bazball approach of England. If England wants to draw the test they can certainly do. But i don't think they will do. They will either blaze away or committ harakiri and play catch up game.

5 min agree. England dont have the best players of spin, apart from Root.

Crazy by England to not pick a spinner. Even if not Ahmed, Will Jacks would be better than another seamer. He took 6fer in Pakistan.

5 min agree. England dont have the best players of spin, apart from Root.

Crazy by England to not pick a spinner. Even if not Ahmed, Will Jacks would be better than another seamer. He took 6fer in Pakistan.

Most definitely not a 4 seamer pitch like the good old leeds pitch. If their 1000 wicket takers can't use this pitch who else can use. Tactical error. Australia thrives on good batting tracks and against crappy bowling. THey rarely make errors. If at all they wanted a seamer they should have gone for the variety of Sam Curran or Woakes assuming he is fit. He can bat too.

I wonder if this Ashes Series will be the one series to much for Broad and Anderson. One is about to be 38 years old and the other is touching 40. Father time catches up to everyone. If these guys aren't taking wickets then they are being useless and putting pressure on the others

Bit of a throwback to the 90s England today.

One of the worst days for our team since Baz took over. Looked like an overly casual, sloppy and unfocused bunch out there, with numerous weaknesses and cracks appearing in the side.

They’ve had a brilliant 12 months, but the next 12 months could be a lot tougher if they don’t analyse their shortcomings and adapt their approach.

Very poor performance from england considering the ball was moving throughout the whole day. England need to get Aus out for under 420 and hope it is sunny when they come out to bat. Root saved England from embarrassment with his 2 quick wickets

England desperately need mark wood in their attack.

Seems like the last series for Anderson. Rare to see him go wicketless in 3 consecutive innings

Highlights of Day 1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hql2PzKGX2A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcimg-00db55b6-2829-4b9f-8f6b-cedc45fa2f98.jpg

lcimg-629c1675-5ee8-4a0e-ad85-34c0ce4ee627.jpg

Last edited:
Then shocking decision to bowl first.

Australian batting is full of confidence as they chased down one of their highest targets ever. Sure some were not at their best but you dont give them bat again when they so up and high. England could have batted them out of the game, put their bowlers under pressure and tired them out. This will cost them the match imo and possibly the Ashes.

To be fair, both teams wanted to bowl first.

The dropped catches in the first-hour sort of took the wind out of their sails and then the bowling became far too timid. This is one of those situations where the bowling attack is just not good enough regardless of the conditions right now.

Seeing Robinson roll up bowling multiple 77 MPH lollipops isn't going to cut it.

Match not over yet…. :)

But I’m not optimistic…. :(

Lol.

England are still in the game purely because of the toss. The Aussie attack would not have wasted those conditions, Cummins would have been walking off holding the ball by stumps.

If you can skittle them for under 400 tomorrow, Bazball can still save the match. But that missing spinner will haunt you guys I reckon, considering Joe Root was the bowler with the standout figures on Day 1.

The dropped catches in the first-hour sort of took the wind out of their sails and then the bowling became far too timid. This is one of those situations where the bowling attack is just not good enough regardless of the conditions right now.

Seeing Robinson roll up bowling multiple 77 MPH lollipops isn't going to cut it.

Ok thanks. Didnt see the morning play.

Agree, the bowling was poor esp Robinson who was very vocal in the last test but cant run in hard now.

This Ashes could still be one of the greatest series but if Aus go 2-0 up they could walk it 4-1 or something.

Warner sweeping Robinsons 73 mph fast bowl summed up Englands day.

Amazing to think that England have taken 20 wickets in almost every Test they’ve played under Baz. And then I look at the bowling attack today, which was very close to their first choice lineup, featuring the bowlers who have had that success. It felt like an incredibly substandard group — like a county side playing against Australia.

Couple of new factors in play: Australia are clearly a strong team — and, no Jack Leach, who despite always having his critics has been a steadfast contributor.

But there can’t be such a sudden and large drop-off in performance without some serious cracks having emerged, possibly very recently. Maybe Broad and Anderson (particularly Anderson) were just having their last hurrahs over the previous 12 months, and they’re basically done at the top level now.

Anderson is on his last legs here — needs some wickets in this game desperately, or he could get dropped, and that could then be his career done.

Bit of a throwback to the 90s England today.

One of the worst days for our team since Baz took over. Looked like an overly casual, sloppy and unfocused bunch out there, with numerous weaknesses and cracks appearing in the side.

They’ve had a brilliant 12 months, but the next 12 months could be a lot tougher if they don’t analyse their shortcomings and adapt their approach.

They are facing an inform quality team for the first time. Other teams lacked something or the other. All said and done if you want to beat Australia aggressive approach is the only working way. So i won't question that. There is a fine line between aggression and craziness.In the first test England clearly took a crazy punt and declared when they had a chance to bat Australia out of the Test. England should have tired them out and that would have had a cascading effect. They could have drawn the first test or even won it. A tired Aussies would have struggled in this Test. Instead despite aggressive batting of England, Australia bowled lesser overs in the first Test. England bowled a lot of overs. Purpose of scoring quick had a reversing effect physically. Stokes has clearly over-rated his bowling attack.

Kevin Pietersen during the tea break:

"It's been shambolic, absolutely shambolic. You have overcast conditions, you have a wicket that suits your bowlers and you've got bowlers running in at 78, 79, 80 mph.

"It's one thing walking in here, swanning around and saying 'hey, this is a wonderful team to play in, we're creating the best environment', but this is not Ashes cricket.

"The Australians here were outside to bat before the English bowlers [after a rain break]. The English bowlers this morning should have been on those stairs saying 'we want to bowl at Australia, we're desperate to bowl at Australia'.

"These two Australian batters [David Warner and Marnus Labuschagne] were out there waiting for England. They are the ones who should have been in the room saying 'no, hold on, we don't want to bat'. It's all too easy and it's all too nice.

"Are you telling me Ricky Ponting in 2005 is going to be talking to Geraint Jones. You think Michael Vaughan is going to be standing next to Justin Langer and saying, 'hey man, what a cool day, what an awesome day and environment here at Lord's?'

"Are you joking? Are you absolutely joking? I just hope they're in their dressing room now and the England coach [Brendon McCullum] is giving them the biggest hammering and saying it's not good enough. It's absolutely not good enough.

"You cannot declare for 390. You think Australia are declaring today? You think Australia are getting 390 today and saying 'England, go have a bat'? No chance."

Andrew Strauss at stumps:

"Usually Stokes is very proactive, trying different things, prising the batsmen out. I suppose his attitude today was 'let the pitch do it for us'.

"There was enough for that to be a sensible tactic. The problem was England's bowlers expected it to happen and perhaps didn't put enough into it. I thought they were a little wayward, looked like they lacked a bit of zip.

"They will be bitterly disappointed as they had a great opportunity and they fluffed their lines. Those two wickets from Root at the end of the day rescued England from it being a truly awful day to just a bad one.

"Australia dealt superbly with the first hour where the conditions were very much in England's favour and very much earned the right to get on top in the second half of the day."

England only have themselves to blame by not looking after their actual pacemen in Archer and Wood

Enjoy Robinson fruit juice bowler now!

England only have themselves to blame by not looking after their actual pacemen in Archer and Wood

Enjoy Robinson fruit juice bowler now!

Craig Robinson averaged 21 in Pakistan
He also averaged 33 in NZ
He averaged 25 in OZ

Problem is he is effective only when their main bowlers click.

His speed over entire Old Trafford Test = 83 mph
Today's morning session = 79 mph.

Dude can't afford to drop his pace too much. 4mph in average pace is massive.

Michael Vaughan:

"I worry about England, I see too much casualness."

"They switched off last week at Edgbaston and today when it has really mattered, England haven't been switched on quick enough and hard enough to win the moment."

"It has cost them."

"Some of the messages, particularly after the loss at Edgbaston, were very positive, almost as if England had won that Test match. They hadn't, they'd lost."

"If you are going to talk the talk, you have to walk the walk."

"I just get the sense that it's just another game of cricket. The Ashes is not just another game of cricket."

"You can be as casual as you like against many other sides, but I'm afraid this is when it matters. Against Australia, this is what defines you."

People would not have taken a dig at this bazball if only the ex England cricketers did not brag about this approach. Let us see what Harry Brook does now.

Maybe Australia batted well, maybe the batsmen were too good for the bowlers.

Back