The Ashes | First Test | Brisbane | Day 1 | 25-Nov-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
So a green Seamer expected at the Gabba as the holders England try to retain the Ashes and also win their 1st series in Australia since 1986/7. The Gabba is an absolute Fortress for the Aussies so if England can win here it may break the Aussies from the start.

The toss will be crucial and i think Conditions would say Bowl 1st but make the most of it with the new ball when you can.

Good luck to both teams!

If England win this match I think they will retain the Ashes. A draw or an Aussie win and the series is on.

I so wish Eng wins the toss and puts Australia in. We need a 2005-like Day1 of the Ashes series

I would be bricking it if we put the Aussies in, but perfectly happy if we lose the toss and bowl. does that sound weird? I just think that history has taught us how a botched decision at the toss can have a huge impact on the rest of the series, psychologically as well as physiologically.

Very sunny first thing, now clouded over. Some mositure in the wicket. Bit of humidity. Challenging decision for skipper who wins toss.
from markgoutbatch BBC

i dont know why but im actually pretty excited about this

i mean im a Pakistan fan but i never actually sat down and watched the Ashes

dont really have a rooting interest but it will be fun

I would be bricking it if we put the Aussies in, but perfectly happy if we lose the toss and bowl. does that sound weird? I just think that history has taught us how a botched decision at the toss can have a huge impact on the rest of the series, psychologically as well as physiologically.

doesn't sound weird at all

that's how i see it and hence my question in the other fred. If i was a captain this is definitely one toss i would want to lose :)

If England win this match I think they will retain the Ashes. A draw or an Aussie win and the series is on.

Brisbane has always been the marker for the Aussies in many a home series and in particular the Ashes.

16 wins and 5 draws in last 21 Tests! Most of those wins have been empathic as well. Either by an Inns, 10 wkts or 100+ runs Margin!

England won here last time in 86/7 so that maybe a good omen for ashes of they do it again!

Micheal Slater spanking england around in 94/5 always reminds etched in the mind from the past!

Its a weird one....but I feel the same sometimes!! If you put a team in to bat the onus is on you to back it up!! If they choose to bat its just business as usual.

when Australia win the first test at Brisbane against any opponent, they usually win the series. it is 55 years since a team came back from 1-0 down at Brisbane (it was England :D )

Australia 0 all out and England 300/0 at the close.

82 actually :D been waiting all day and sleepy now...

Looking forward to this. I hope the aussies have pulled themselves together. Is clarke playing? Or is khawaja going to play the first test?

Luckily its evening time in the states and i dont have to waste my whole night watching it. Win win

think I'll nap at lunch...at 2am GMT :|

need to order a pizza for the night's munch before all the takeaways close though

hate Ashes series in Aus, bloody match starts at 4 am local time :yawn: :yawn:

hate Ashes series in Aus, bloody match starts at 4 am local time :yawn: :yawn:

ours goes 12am-7am! living in England and getting up for the various series in the subcontinent is easy - anyone can be up and about at 4-5AM if they get to bed early the previous night. for England fans, the Australasian tours are strictly for men only! :D

what with 15 wickets falling?

something close :D

I've been hearing a lot about the bowling conditions in Brisbane, but I guess it'll be there for the first session only. Will Ponting had the guts to bat first here after the Sydney test? :asif:sami

Ponting will probably never bowl again after Edgbaston '05. Even though his batsmen flopped in Sydney and Leeds, he is still petrified of inserting the opposition. and who can blame him? it always has the potential to go embarrassingly wrong. on the other hand, I would not be surprised if Strauss chooses to bowl.

Meat feast pizza I reckon :batman: ...hungry already, just a matter of resisting picking up the phone for as long as possible.

Meat feast pizza I reckon :batman: ...hungry already, just a matter of resisting picking up the phone for as long as possible.

Just do it. :asif

Now I'm having pizza thoughts as well...

More than anything. I'm just happy we're back to Sky's cricket coverage. :rondu

People here pumped up more than a pak match. Does this have anything to do with supporting australia over england after what happened this summer?

haha, this stock analysis is pretty clever by Sky Sports. :))

9.10 The toss is 20 minutes away and the Gabba is buzzing. It's a sellout today and almost sold out for days two and three. Today the conditions are hot and humid - though there could be the odd short shower.

Gonna be a fun series

Give me test cricket in Australia or England anyday over flat crap pitches of India and Pak

After the events of the summer I will totally supporting Australia...I want broad to cry swann to be hit all over the park and Trott to run back to South Africa :p

please stop asking for online streams.

please go search for them yourself, they are not that hard to find.

why are my posts being deleted!! i like to watch cricket as much as u do :p

is it wrong as a Pakistani that im thinking about rooting for Aus?

my cousins in England are all obviously supporting Engalnd

i just dont know why im rooting for them..might be cuz they are the underdogs

Class as usual from Sky Sports. Superb coverage! :)

Ponting walking out with the team sheet in hand...

England win the toss and elect to bat first

Good toss to lose for the Aussies. Hilfun could do some serious damage in the first session.

Australia would have batted first as well

Ponting: I have a really good feeling about the next few weeks :don

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Collingwood
Bell
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson