The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

This guy's superseding my expectations. He's not a very aggressive captain, but his mixture of defense and attack is perfect for the bowling lineup we have. Plus, his batting's been a revelation too. I wouldn't bash YK because of how well Misbah's doing though. All for the team.

Wonderful field settings by :misbah for Abdur Rehman. At one stage he had a back pad, short cover, slip, leg slip and shortish midoff. :bow:

Wow we need this guy to replace Afridi in the LOIs as soon as possible, then we might have a chance for the World Cup!

brilliant captaincy, if we win the tests, the odi captaincy has to go to him. afridi can continue losing us t20's

Misbah is the only Pakistani test captain who has won a test but have not lost any!

Loving his captaincy, no major issues, adapts well to different situations. Loving the way he handles his bowlers, and his field settings are good as well. The only major issue I had with him being handed over the captaincy was his own personal performance and whether or not he warrants a spot in playing 11. But 4 50s in 5 innings says otherwise.

Looks like he's got a good cricket brain and the players enjoy playing under him. Shame about his age though; after the tour of the West Indies we've got very little cricket left so this will turn out to be another short-lived captaincy stint.

Misbah Ul Haq - the Captain

Is he the best captain after imran khan? i havent seen any pakistani captain better than him.

The only thing he has going for him is his own current form. Otherwise he has phattu mentality. Don't compare such people to Imran Khan.

Well he isn't captaining the fixers, so that's a big plus for him. Younis Khan captained bunch of fixers and paindos.

Well he isn't captaining the fixers, so that's a big plus for him. Younis Khan captained bunch of fixers and paindos.

so misbah deserves no credit?? he is just lucky to have good team?

2 test series makes him the best captain ever?

Consider the fact that our bowling was very very weak compare to previous test matches/series.

So Misbah still managed to lead us to victory with second/third string bowling attack.

he is an extremely negative capgtain. we should be aggressive but misbah is so defensive that its unbelievable.
we should have won the south africa series 1-0.we had 6 wickets in hand and were chasing 100 in 15 overs in the last session but misbah didnt press on
similar story today

so misbah deserves no credit?? he is just lucky to have good team?

He deserves the credit for his batting performance. Captaincy was very average. I don't how how differently others would've captained. All Pakistani captains have been the same pretty much.

Overall batting performance was good in the series, so that's what saved him from losing this series.

Last edited:
he is an extremely negative capgtain. we should be aggressive but misbah is so defensive that its unbelievable.
we should have won the south africa series 1-0.we had 6 wickets in hand and were chasing 100 in 15 overs in the last session but misbah didnt press on
similar story today

its all about confidence and self belief of the team. there are some young blokes in it. It will take time. once it is a good team then it will acquire that killer instinct to win matches all the time.

Consider the fact that our bowling was very very weak compare to previous test matches/series.

So Misbah still managed to lead us to victory with second/third string bowling attack.

but our batting was very very strong compare to previous test matches/series.

and Pakistan bowling was still decent. not bad at all.

Last edited:
No. He's better them Imran Khan. His batting trumps Imran's. His tactics are out of this world. He leads from the front! Sets an amazing example

He just won a series against one of the best NZ sides ever in NZ, 1-0. Stunning captain, stunning batsmen. He should be captain in the world cup, coming one down to bat since he is our best player.

He will lead us to world cup glory. Imran just fluked his world cup win. Misbah will do it the real way!

No. He's better them Imran Khan. His batting trumps Imran's. His tactics are out of this world. He leads from the front! Sets an amazing example

He just won a series against one of the best NZ sides ever in NZ, 1-0. Stunning captain, stunning batsmen. He should be captain in the world cup, coming one down to bat since he is our best player.

He will lead us to world cup glory. Imran just fluked his world cup win. Misbah will do it the real way!

Thankyou for letting out my disgust in a nice manner!

there are many younis khan for president threads and i made one misbah ul haq thread and people have problems with it.

there are many younis khan for president threads and i made one misbah ul haq thread and people have problems with it.

Imran is the greatest captain in cricket history in most Pakistani's opinion. Don't compare him to Misbah.

The Younis praise is over the top as well. But he's one of our greatest batsmen ever. He won us a WT20 and he's one of the best 4th innings pressure players I have seen.

Imran is the greatest captain in cricket history in most Pakistani's opinion. Don't compare him to Misbah.

The Younis praise is over the top as well. But he's one of our greatest batsmen ever. He won us a WT20 and he's one of the best 4th innings pressure players I have seen.

i am not comparing misbah with imran. i am comparing misbah with all other captains after imran khan. because after imran we had "kachra" left and this guy as soon as he because captain has lifted the team for a win in NZ just by himself. minus misbah against SA and NZ and see where we stand.

Hmm, so Inzamam, Moin, Latif, Wasim and Waqar were actually kachra.

Misbah is from Mianwali and he is Niazi. Imran Khan's dad is from Mianwali and he is NIAzi as well..... maybe Misbah is destined to win us world cup if given a chance...... Misbah for ODI captain as well!!! :)

as captains yes, pretty much. wasim was bit better than that. but they were brilliant individual players.

Wasim was way better.

Inzamam is arguably one of the great captains we have had. Under him we were near untouchable, more so then Imran statistically.

We didn't have a bad reign under Waqar either.

Misbah on the other hand has won 1 test match in 4, that too against one of the weakest NZ sides I have ever seen.

Wasim was way better.

Inzamam is arguably one of the great captains we have had. Under him we were near untouchable, more so then Imran statistically.

We didn't have a bad reign under Waqar either.

Misbah on the other hand has won 1 test match in 4, that too against one of the weakest NZ sides I have ever seen.

earlier captains had wasim, waqar, inzi, shoaib playing as players. pak were one of best teams of 90s and on pure talent best. A good captain would have achieved much better from that team at that time but now we dont have as much talent so captaincy is difficult now.

Misbah is not a great captain. Just started recently. Let him captain this side against 1st Tier teams then only we can assume things. He has done a decent job, but Pakistan should have won the series 2 - 0. Misbah is batting well. He is averaging around 42 so far, he should end his carer with an average of around 45. He needs to convert 50s into 100s.

then people say we almost go to limit and compare Afridi with Imran.
:facepalm:

Misbah has good start, but problem is, the good start is only going to be start, as he is 36, his end is near, so thats why wee need to look for better options around him for future :afridi

When he was not captain, he couldn't perform. Reason is very simple. He was scared to be dropped. Once he became captain. Fear of losing his place gone and he started performing.

Misbah is ont of the finest captains I have seen. I think to some extent much better than Imran Khan. JEEO MISBAH JEEO!!

He gets us into winning positions but then doesn't cross the finish line. Kind of like the T20 WC final.

Misbah has become a strong contender for the captaincy in the Odis , I Hope Misbah leads the team in the world cup. Cant even imagine Misbah and Younis playing under a fluke cricketer like Afridi

Misbah should be captain of T20, ODI and Tests for the next 3-4 years at least.

His defensive tactics in the final session today, showed the whole world about how aggressive he can be in ODIs.

Remember in test if you are defensive you can get away with a draw but in ODIs if you are defensvie you simply loose the match. thats it.

:facepalm: knee jerk

these are typical reactions from pak fans my friend.. they exaccerbate the problems we have in the team when it comes to selection matters. One/Two performances and instantly the past is quickly forgotten so we can crown our new hero as "one of the best" :facepalm:

His defensive tactics in the final session today, showed the whole world about how aggressive he can be in ODIs.

Remember in test if you are defensive you can get away with a draw but in ODIs if you are defensvie you simply loose the match. thats it.

Did you even check the scorecard?? We lost 3 quick wickets...we had no choice but to be defensive :facepalm:

Did you even check the scorecard?? We lost 3 quick wickets...we had no choice but to be defensive :facepalm:

I am refering to the instance when Misbah even farmed the strike for the entire over instead giving YK the strike who was aggressive, even the balls consumed by both Yk and misbah tell the story, YK 155 approx and Misbah 227 approx, YK even outscored Misbah by playing 70 less balls. How can you justify that Misbah is not slow for ODIs.

similar story today

mate don't take this personal but you don't understand test cricket
at all.

its not one day cricket or 20/20 were you have the white ball were anythings possible chasing 100 from 15 overs.

this is test cricket 1 wicket changes the whole game had we lost one wicket south africa would have been all over us so misbha made the right dicsion try to understand test cricket before you make these idotic usumptions.

I am not very sure how to really rate Misbah, yes its appreciable that his batting form has improved big time since he took on the captaincy and we drew a very hard series against a stronger South African team. But things have worked in his favor too, we were facing a New Zealand team really short of confidence and with so many losses under their belt. Against the South Africans, we could have gone for the kill in the first test on the last day but he chose safety out of fear of a batting collapse, he did the same today as well when we could have forced for a victory.

Defensive captaincy at the end of the day is defensive captaincy, why sell urself short on the international stage? Besides, i still cannot forget how pathetically he performed as a player when Malik, Younis, Yousaf were captain and his frequent innings of 80 balls for 7-8 runs, his constant tuk tuking, slowing up the run rate in ODI's. Now that he has been appointed captain, he has started performing and batting much more positively? Why couldnt he do it as a normal player for the others when it really mattered for the team?

Its too early to tell whether he is the right man for the job in the long run, its just been 2 series, is he going to play in the next series? Didnt he say he will hang up his boots after this world cup?

I don't get the polar extremes on Misbah.

He's no Imran Khan, but he's not a daft idiot either. It's to early to rate him properly as it's been only 4 tests.

However what it is clear is he has the mindset to be a captain. He stays cool, calm and preforms under the pressure of captaincy. People say look at his age, well Imran Khan was 39 when he won the WC for Pakistan as captain.

You are supposed to get wiser with the years. Misbah is showing signs of a decent captain. He may be defensive with his approach to Pakistan's batting, but that may not be a bad thing. Pakistan is known to panic once they lose wickets. Better to be defensive and bat out the 5 days then be aggressive and lose in 3 days.

Misbah was one of the best batsmen we had in 2007, under Malik. I don't think it's him under performing under other captains, Misbah just lost his form and confidence. He needed the time out and to play well domestically to regain form.

I thought about going the sarcasm route like others but I'll be more direct...

I want what OP is smoking

How the hell can you even rate Misbah after 2 series on flat pitches? How can you compare a captain for a month against a captain for years? Idiotic is such an understatement here for this moronic thread.

His outlook is completely different to Imran Khan. Imran played attacking cricket, set out to win each game and would constantly attack the opposition. By contrast, Misbah seems more conservative in his outlook but you get the impression that he has a calming influence that is the ideal foil for the inexperienced batsmen they are developing.

In the circumstances, Misbah has made an impressive start, and if he had the services of a Mohammed Amir or a Mohammed Asif, this could have developed into a formidable outfit.

Misbah for president!
He has an MBA degree, and the country should really make use of it :zardari

Wah kya post hai!!! :misbah

Really, Misbah is by far the most great cuptaan after Imran Khan, he should be made ODI and T20 cuptaan as well, and be appointed coach instead of Vicky bhai :ahmed

Wah kya post hai!!! :misbah

Really, Misbah is by far the most great cuptaan after Imran Khan, he should be made ODI and T20 cuptaan as well, and be appointed coach instead of Vicky bhai :ahmed

I am thinking of giving my daughter's hand in marriage to him :misbah

misbah+copy.jpg

Oooooooooooohh yeeeah :misbah :misbah :misbah :misbah :misbah :misbah :misbah :misbah :misbah

Last edited:
he is actually captaining a team that has less talent than what malik and yk had.he has workhorse bowlers and not the special duo of aamir and butt that butt could go to.

Misbah is Dhoni of Pakistan......he deserves captaincy in all formats...... ice cool calm personality and level headedness.

it's too early to say whether he is a better captain than Imran but he's definitely better than Afridi

he is actually captaining a team that has less talent than what malik and yk had.he has workhorse bowlers and not the special duo of aamir and butt that butt could go to.

I think he has won the series against the very weak NZ team.
And drawn the series against SA on the best batting tracks.

He doesn't have the special talent in the team your are talking about. But he also don't have the deliberate underperformers in the team :yk

Misbah is Dhoni of Pakistan......he deserves captaincy in all formats...... ice cool calm personality and level headedness.

it's too early to say whether he is a better captain than Imran but he's definitely better than Afridi

I believe you are saying that Misbah should be the captain of the ODI side by judging from his performances v SA and NZ, right?

But the thing is that test cricket is completely different to ODI - so that means Misbah will not be able to use to approach towards the bowlers he has been using v SA and NZ in the upcoming ODI matches which could be a problem for Misbah as it's clear that the longer format of the game suits his style of play perfectly.

Yes he has been a good captain but the only way he can the captain in my books would be IF he performs well in the upcoming ODI matches v NZ with a good strike rate, and if he can perform well on pitches where it suits the bowlers most with a healthy strike rate then I guess he would do better on sub contintent pitches.

Back