The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

i know this is off topic but i don't want to create a new thread but whats up with umar gul he was bowling at munaf patels pace

even the sri lankans were putting more effort in

umar gul is lazy.
when he feels like he can crank up over 90mph but doesnt put much effort otherwise.
he gives it all in icc tournaments

umar gul is lazy.
when he feels like he can crank up over 90mph but doesnt put much effort otherwise.
he gives it all in icc tournaments

he shouldn't play test than

wahab riaz can come in for him

Misbah is the best thing that has happened to Pakistan cricket in recent years, as they say you can't go wrong with a MBA.

NOT PICKING MALIK despite political pressure takes some guts, kudos to Misbah, we all know Afridi would have played Malik in fear of losing the captaincy.

I would call this as a Luck for Misbah. Cuz everytime Lightning doesnt strikes the same place twice....... I think first time we saw a good batting side just bombed by our bowling on such flat track and got them out under 200 runs.....Remember what hapned against SA last year when Misbah did the same?

Not everytime will he be succesfull but guess after today he will more often go for bowl first if he wins. i mean in a test match, who goes for bowl first on flat tracks??????? thats totally stupid imo. No offense to misbah but i dont like the defensive mind set of him.

but congrats to where its due......good work.nowplease win us the test match and series

how is bowling 1st on a so called flat track a defensive mindset? its an indication that team wants to take 20 wickets and try and win a match!

:)))

Misbah fanboys having a field day, conveniently forgetting that his decision to bowl first in Zimbabwe almost cost us when they put up 412!!!

but I'll give credit where it's due, the bowlers vindicated his decision today so I'll gladly eat my words when I criticized him during beginning of the day...

oh am sorry aint that a test match we won? :)))

Can we safely say that if there was no spot fixing misbah would have been a manager at some bank at the moment (remember , he was going to burn his cricket kit). I remember an ayat from Quran "tu'izzu man tashaau wa tuzillu man tasha" . Allah jise chahta he izzat deta hai aur jise chahta he zillat deta he. (someone translate it).

no one questions misbah captaincy and performance in test matches its the limited over format which is a big question mark????

can we afford to have younis and misbah in the same odi team???? i dont think so

younus looks to me a much better odi player then misbah, instead of misbah in odi its time for a youngster to groom most likely fawad alam

Yes good after the 7th wicket to fell @ 114 , the field setting was just a bit timid. He Let Lankan's tail enders get far too many IMO.

no one questions misbah captaincy and performance in test matches its the limited over format which is a big question mark????

can we afford to have younis and misbah in the same odi team???? i dont think so

younus looks to me a much better odi player then misbah, instead of misbah in odi its time for a youngster to groom most likely fawad alam

Actually i think you are a bit off. It's our strategy and batting order that is absolutley skewed in ODIs. Misbah has two ways of playing either tuk tuk or all out aggressive. That is not a game that is suitable for a number four batsman at all.

But that sort of game is really suitable for a number 6 guy. If the top order collapses he is there to bat with the tail and play the defensive game (which he can do really well) or he can just come in and smash it out (which he can also do).Have him swap with Umar Akmal coming in at 4 and Asad Shafique at 5 in ODIS and you have got yourself an excellent ODI batting set up.

Don't know why they can't get this through their thick brains, it's really not that hard.

Usual hate for Misbah coming out here. He is a very good captain who has delivered consistent results for Pakistan and massively strengthened the batting which was a huge problem.

If only he hit a six, went out next ball, gave four interviews bagging his teammates and retired on the second day of the Test would half of PP be pleased.

Usual hate for Misbah coming out here. He is a very good captain who has delivered consistent results for Pakistan and massively strengthened the batting which was a huge problem.

If only he hit a six, went out next ball, gave four interviews bagging his teammates and retired on the second day of the Test would half of PP be pleased.

:)) :)) well said

Misbah has led the team well. The only glitch I saw was his field placings when Matthews was batting with the tail. Apart from that, he didnt put a foot wrong

Brave, aggressive captaincy and decision making

He continues to defy the critics, one of which has sometimes been me. Brilliant work again.

He has done a solid job, much better than expected. We have done well in the tests and odi's, but remember, most of the wins were against bad teams.

I like misbah simply because he brings a touch of class, respect and gentlemeness to the pak side which has been missing for a while. I hope he remains as test captain for a while so that it rubs off on the younger players.

Is he the best captain after imran khan? i havent seen any pakistani captain better than him.

I agree.

Seems like you got your assessment right very early on when everyone else was mocking you.

Misbah ul-Haq Will Not Lead Us to Victory Against Strong Teams

Don't be fooled by the recent series in which tuk saahib has been captain. If he continues with the current approach, be certain that we will struggle against the Top 4. To win against them is to play genuinely aggressive and positive cricket with the bat, ball and on the field.

Misbah himself exemplifies this boring, losing, negative approach. He had a strike rate of 68 in ODIs last year. Almost at the bottom of anyone who played a respectable amount of ODIs.

This is not a hate thread but just a wake up call to let PPers lower their expectations because playing average opposition on placid pitches is not a great indicator of success. A lot of people are under the impression that these victories have something to do with Misbah being a revolutionary captain. Incorrect.

We need players like Umar Akmal and Younis Khan (Tests) and the type of cricket they play to really have a chance of becoming a leading cricketing super power. Positive, not tuk tuk.

a.jpg

become a leading super cricket power..hahahhahah @ this thread..

we don't even have international cricket being played in Pakistan.. and you go attacking a winning captain who wins back to back series abroad..

emotional Pak fans *facepalm*

Close Thread.. Mods

How much success the the teams with the so called "positive approach" had against the teams that we have beaten under Misbah. Wait until we face one of those top 4 opposition before giving your nonsensical opinion. Kids these days.

Did we not draw with the Saffers Beat Sri Lanka in the UAE and beat New Zealand at home?

The last time we played NZ 2009 we had a stronger team we only drew.

Stop hating the man for no reason. Its quite pathetic that some fans are never happy.

I think England will do us really bad if he dosent change his attitude. He needs to change gears Even Wasim said that.

How much success the the teams with the so called "positive approach" had against the teams that we have beaten under Misbah. Wait until we face one of those top 4 opposition before giving your nonsensical opinion. Kids these days.

What are you talking about? Positive approach isn't about trying to hit every ball for six, no one in their right minds is asking for that. Its the simple concept of always trying to be on top of the opposition and not allow them to settle into a game plan. Imran Khan would be ashamed had his team played like this current lot.

The last time we played NZ 2009 we had a stronger team we only drew.

No we didn't. On what basis was it "stronger"? No Younis, openers were Salman Butt and Farhat, Amir didn't even have full control over his bowling. The major positive of that team was Asif.

As for the OP, I understand exactly where he's coming from. I do think Misbah can lead us to wins against stronger opponents but we'll never be a top 3 team with his attitude. A top tier team seeks to dominate its opposition, Misbah doesn't.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate his captaincy or that I'd change captains - but it's just my opinion on the matter. The best captain we could have had was Younis but that boat has sailed.

Bowling was stronger and Amir was swinging the ball like crazy.

Ajmal didn't play the latest series. We didnt have Younus but we had Yousuf in 09.

Are people making these kinda threads just so they can say I told you so if we lose to England?

Give the team a chance and get behind them.

Are people making these kinda threads just so they can say I told you so if we lose to England?

Give the team a chance and get behind them.

No not really. I want Pakistan to do really well against every team inshaAllah. But in my honest opinion I do not see them doing well if they play like they do. I could be wrong, I accept that.

Seriously there are some pathetic pakistan fans on here. Im sure there are quite a few the OP, Savak and probably a host of others that are hoping and praying pakistan lose to england so they can call Misbah a **** captain.

Its a pathetic situation when fans are pretty much hoping the team loses so they can vent their personal vendettas at players they dont like.

For those so called einsteins out there why dont you name the so called agressive captain that pakistan should have then. We are playing england and last time i checked andrew strauss wasnt exactly aggresive captaincy material.

Either get behind the team and quite moan or seriously get lost and go support India or some other side. We dont need "so called fans" who pretty much want the team to do badly so they can make themselves come across as so called "Know it alls"

Don't be fooled by the recent series in which tuk saahib has been captain. If he continues with the current approach, be certain that we will struggle against the Top 4. To win against them is to play genuinely aggressive and positive cricket with the bat, ball and on the field.

Misbah himself exemplifies this boring, losing, negative approach. He had a strike rate of 68 in ODIs last year. Almost at the bottom of anyone who played a respectable amount of ODIs.

This is not a hate thread but just a wake up call to let PPers lower their expectations because playing average opposition on placid pitches is not a great indicator of success. A lot of people are under the impression that these victories have something to do with Misbah being a revolutionary captain. Incorrect.

We need players like Umar Akmal and Younis Khan (Tests) and the type of cricket they play to really have a chance of becoming a leading cricketing super power. Positive, not tuk tuk.

a.jpg

Go support India or bangladesh, we dont need plastic fans like yourself.

Seriously there are some pathetic pakistan fans on here. Im sure there are quite a few the OP, Savak and probably a host of others that are hoping and praying pakistan lose to england so they can call Misbah a **** captain.

Its a pathetic situation when fans are pretty much hoping the team loses so they can vent their personal vendettas at players they dont like.

For those so called einsteins out there why dont you name the so called agressive captain that pakistan should have then. We are playing england and last time i checked andrew strauss wasnt exactly aggresive captaincy material.

Either get behind the team and quite moan or seriously get lost and go support India or some other side. We dont need "so called fans" who pretty much want the team to do badly so they can make themselves come across as so called "Know it alls"

All right AJ, so this is like a dictatorship in which people are not allowed to show dissent if they genuinely feel like the team isn't heading in the right direction. Cool.

Like I said, I fully support Pakistan and want them to win every match, regardless of Misbah being the captain or not. Its sad how some posters get riled up because people have different opinions.

:)) I like how in the OP you mention "losing approach"

What have we lost lol?

I don't understand why ppers always attack the OP, everyone is entitled to their views.

Misbah hasn't had a chance against one of the best teams. Let's face it Lanka were a depleted unit even though the win was a good one for Pakistan. Let's see how he captains the team against England and we'll know more about him.

He's a defensive player but not necessarily a defensive captain since he does change the field around and usually has catchers in the right place.

i don't understand one thing. if #1 ranking side beat #6, whats the big deal. isn't it same as #6 (Pakistan) beating #10 (Bangladesh). i don't mean to say that pakistan is a mediocre as bangladesh but what i am trying to say higher ranking team is expected to beat lower ranking team. thats why when lower ranking team beat a higher ranking team, its called upset. pakistan can still be beaten playing their best cricket. yes if they beat or even drew with england that will be something.

All right AJ, so this is like a dictatorship in which people are not allowed to show dissent if they genuinely feel like the team isn't heading in the right direction. Cool.

Like I said, I fully support Pakistan and want them to win every match, regardless of Misbah being the captain or not. Its sad how some posters get riled up because people have different opinions.

Am not saying you cant voice your opinion.

So your saying Misbah is a defensive captain. So please then tell me who in the pakistan set up right now is out there to be an aggresive captain?

Secondly, i think its time you had a bit of a reality check! Ive watch pakistan play since 1987 and il let you this for free in terms of talent resources the current pakistan team is probably one of the poorest interms of world class batsmen/bowlers compared to previous pakistan teams ive seen however. This team is playing as a unit and probably over-acheveing in terms of results. We dont have the players in current sqaud set up or outside to go all guns blazing against side and play exiciting cricket.

Ideally id love to see Umar akmal at number 6, but you tell me otherwise what other batsmen would exactly add extra value and flare to the pakistan batting line up.

Same goes for the bowling. We have lost two world class bowlers in Asif/Aamer for whatever wrong reasons and under the circumstances weve had to reform the bowling attack interms of a discaplined unit. Il be quite frank the way pakistan is playing isnt exactly getting my heart racing however!

Under the circumstances we currently have we have the best possible captain in place and we are playing the only way we can get results, or would you rather we fill the team with flair players and go back to getting hammered all the time?

Inzi,

In your mind Misbahs a defensive skipper?

Why because pakistan isnt scoring at 4 runs an over in test matches? Because he doesnt have 5/6 slips in place for fast bowlers etc...?

Misbah isnt some inbred idiot like some of the captains weve had in the past and i wont mention any names. To Win test matches you have to set them up and be in the game 1st.

Ask yourself why before misbah took over pakistan werent winning test series and at best just drawing them? The number of times pakistan gave away Massive leads etc.. based on 1st inns etc... is a major reason why pakistan would struggle to compete in games.

You look now and Misbah puts alot of emphasis on ensuring albeit anoying slow at times that when we bat in 1st inns we are either on level terms or we gain a lead on 1st inns in a test Match. On the high majority of occasions where we have gained leads they have ended up be very substantial as come the 3rd Inns of a test match weve managed to take a foot hold in games in win them! The one game where we didnt match up on 1st inns against an oppostion in recent times was 1st test v W.I which we lost!

Misbahs approach is to make sure we are on level terms at half time! Yeah its not exicting but with our current resources we cant afford to be giving the Oppostion heads starts etc... I think you need to start looking at the context of games weve played in a little more. Yeah it Maybe safety 1st cricket, but as postive results come along confidence increases and with it a team becomes more expressive. Pakistan is still a team building to go forward and someone expecting us to be all out agressive like the great Aussies/W.I sides when we dont have such resources is seriously kidding themselves.

Its better to look at the glass as half-empty rather than half-full.

OP is not telling them to hit 4 or a 6 in every over. Batters should keep rotating the strike. SINGLES!!! They go into hiding and they don't show much of a positive approach. There is absolutely no problem in tuk tuking in a Test match but please don't overdo it.

SR of under 45 is criminal and our batters are struck in 30's.

When Australia dominated the world, their 1st day score was used to be 330+.

Even commentators get fed of their batting approach.

Last edited:
If we lose, it's because England has a world class test team that's better than ours, not Misbah's 'defensive' strategies which are actually decently attacking when you take a moment to properly analyze.

Stop fantasizing over run rates on dead slow no bounce wickets in comparison to Aus's prime when they also had a world class team and played on bouncy fast tracks, which are inductive to scoring.

Also, people fail to remember that Pakistan's strength has always been their bowling, if that remains, all we have to do is be solid with the the bat, not spectacular. Our weakness has always been our stupid collapses, that have cost us countless matches in the past.

Hater's gonna hate however, but Misbah deserves some credit.

I've been following PP for a while now and you sir are arguably one of my favorite posters on here. Hit the hammer on the nail.

In response to the OP, Misbah is getting the results and most importantly is the best candidate for the job. There is no player in the team who is likely to be a better captain.

Let's accept that he will get found out by top quality opposition as captain - who do you suggest should lead us then?

After the controversies of the last half decade, we should be happy that we are winning and being consistent with the captaincy. That will build the foundation the right way for us to be more attacking and flair like of old but let's do it properly this time with consistency.

Misbah ul-Haq Will Not Lead Us to Victory Against Strong Teams

Give him a chance. Its not like we were sweeping the floor with the strong teams prior to his captaincy!!

:misbah and the middle order needs to be a little more positive. Its not about big shots. It's about rotating the strike better. Pakistan middle order should be scoring at 60 strike rate ..... that would be good. No one is telling them to be run a ball.

Positive but not reckless.

Attitude like this always been costing pakistan in longer run. pakistan fans and team are happy beat the crap the out weaker team.pakistan been beating srilanka, newzland bangladesh for more then 20 years nothing new. but since imran left most of the time i've been seeing this attitude. that's the reason record is so so bad against SA and AUS for last 15 years or so ( and recently against india and England). with little better attiude pakistan could've won the WORLD CUP. but NO pakistan team and fans are happy " we've made it to semifinal" our job done. for these who's saying pakistan could just drew the series in 2009 in newzland. The pitch were much harder then the 2010 series. and shand bond was playing who is one of the hardest bowler ( in test history while playing)to face in newzland. no body wants to watch beating weaker team all the time that too most boring way ( even one flatter pitch) just win one test in series and other are dull boring test. if they play with this attitude it will back fire against england.

Wow can't believe that you guys have no faith in ur own captain. :facepalm:

typical pakistani cricket fans.

Stupid OP.

UNDER MISBAH'S CAPTAINCY SOUTH AFRICA SERIES ENDED AS A DRAW. SOUTH AFRICA WAS NO.2 BACK THEN IN THE TEST RANKINGS. SO YEAH THEY WERE A TOP TEAM.

PAKISTAN RECENTLY BEAT SRILANKA, THE WORLD CUP RUNNERS UP. WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT??????????????

Last edited:
I think England will do us really bad if he dosent change his attitude. He needs to change gears Even Wasim said that.

so just coz wasim said that, does that mean he is correct? just like me and you wasim has opinion and thats it...true a great player and thats it..

I actually like misbah as a captain in tests. Yes, he does have a deficiency in that he has a difficulty scoring singles and doubles and rotating the strike, but thats his batting flaw not his captaincy flaw.

He's getting u the results, he has established a decent team and gets everyone to work. Good Enough!

Does Misbah not know how to shuffle the batting order?

I have not seen Misbah shuffle the batting order a single time. Not saying that he's a bad captain, he's exactly what this side needs and this team is doing well under him, but it's just yet another example of his defensive, pre-planned captaincy. It seems that just about every move of his is planned before the game with the coach.

100 to win, a required run rate of above 3. Absolutely no way Pakistan can lose this. Okay, fine, open with Hafeez and Taufeeq, they can give us a solid start at a decent rate.

Hafeez goes out there and plays the opposite of his natural game.

Taufeeq goes out there and plays the opposite of his natural game too, gets out slogging.

Azhar Ali (?!?!?! out of all people!?) is now in, and is playing the opposite of his natural game, coming down the ground and slogging the ball randomly.

The light is deteriorating as every minute passes, and there are high chances of this game being ended before the scheduled time for stumps.

Does Misbah not understand the concept of shuffling the batting order according to the situation? This is not the first time something like this has happened. Why not send in somebody like Adnan Akmal, who is (arguably) the quickest player in our team, to come in and score quick runs? The ball is new, the field is in, there are boundaries to be made.

Just a bit of a shame that we're struggling to score a 100+ total to win a game against the worst international cricket team.

P.S., we might still win this game (chances are we will, unless we bat even slower than this and light fades all of a sudden), but I'm just saying, Misbah should be a bit more spontaneous and be ready to try out new things. He lacks the X-factor all winning captains have.

Who else do you want to come in? It's not like Asad Shafiq and Younis Khan are natural sloggers of the ball either

:)) and Azhar has a score of 8 runs from 9 balls.

Azhar ali is a better Limited Over player then test player

How do you think it affects the confidence of a man by saying, 'you need to be moved down the order because you can't hit at 4rpo'.

:facepalm: this thread is just a dig at Misbah.

Honestly, from these 4, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan, Misbah Ul Haq, Asad Shafiq, Adnan Akmal

Who would you send up to bat from the 5 above??

we don't have any batsman like that

even if misbah wanted, i.e if he ever

:facepalm: this thread is just a dig at Misbah.

Mind reading the OP again? I wrote..

"Not saying that he's a bad captain, he's exactly what this side needs and this team is doing well under him, but it's just yet another example of his defensive, pre-planned captaincy."

^ pay attention to the part in bold?

Honestly, from these 4, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan, Misbah Ul Haq, Asad Shafiq, Adnan Akmal

Who would you send up to bat from the 5 above??

Adnan Akmal, followed by YK, then Misbah. Asad and Azhar are the two slowest scorers in our Test team, I believe.

I'm just saying we lack the killer instinct, we lack the skill to finish games off. Which is also because of the fact that our captain lacks the X-factor.

Again, if you think I'm 'hating' on Misbah, you should re-read my OP.

Mind reading the OP again? I wrote..

"Not saying that he's a bad captain, he's exactly what this side needs and this team is doing well under him, but it's just yet another example of his defensive, pre-planned captaincy."

Adnan Akmal, followed by YK, then Misbah. Asad and Azhar are the two slowest scorers in our Test team, I believe.

I'm just saying we lack the killer instinct, we lack the skill to finish games off. Which is also because of the fact that our captain lacks the X-factor.

Again, if you think I'm 'hating' on Misbah, you should re-read my OP.

Adnan Akmal, :))really?

Let me tell you that the reason why Adnan Akmal was dropped from ODI's was cause of his poor batting. He can't hit shots. He is just another version of Fawad Alam.

Azhar Ali is a better Limited Over player then Test Player. His Average in List A is better then First Class cricket. One could say why he isn't selected for ODI's

Misbah could go ahead, as he is able to hit the ball for boundaries easily, only if he wants

i guess some 'supporters' preferred it when we were losing match after match.

grow up

Back