The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

From what i understood, i think OP wants Pakistan to dominate games instead of waiting for things to happen and when batting, try to be "bit more positive" than this, if thats what you are talking bout Op then i'm with you on that. Having said that, you need to realise that Pakistan is not a POWER house right now, It is building a new team and they are on the right track, you dont become a Champion team over night, it takes time and young players are getting confident, Do you see that?

They are alot better than what they were couple of years ago and i hope that positive results would help them improve, but for now, some of the batsmen are very limited, poor strike rotation and sometimes they give you an impression that they could either "Hit out" or grind it out, they need to find a balance and should concentrate on rotating the strike because lets say, in couple of years if we keep moving like this, we might be in a position to challenge the top dogs and we will need a team who knows how and when to sieze the moment, but we should be happy with the current results and it'd only confuse/pressurize them if we ask them to Act like top dogs when in reality they are not.

Give me a winning so called boring captain over an exciting losing one any day!

1000x.jpg

Seriously there are some pathetic pakistan fans on here. Im sure there are quite a few the OP, Savak and probably a host of others that are hoping and praying pakistan lose to england so they can call Misbah a **** captain.

Its a pathetic situation when fans are pretty much hoping the team loses so they can vent their personal vendettas at players they dont like.

For those so called einsteins out there why dont you name the so called agressive captain that pakistan should have then. We are playing england and last time i checked andrew strauss wasnt exactly aggresive captaincy material.

Either get behind the team and quite moan or seriously get lost and go support India or some other side. We dont need "so called fans" who pretty much want the team to do badly so they can make themselves come across as so called "Know it alls"

Horribly Malicious stuff, when have i ever wished for the team to lose ever? And Yes Misbah is the worst thing to have ever happened to Pakistan Cricket period, dont be fooled by his inconsequential efforts with the bat in meaningless non pressure situations, he is going to pull off yet another Mohali when it really matters, its in his destiny.

The team is winning inspite of him not because of him. Nothing gives me more pleasure to see Pakistan win and Misbah fail.

Horribly Malicious stuff, when have i ever wished for the team to lose ever? And Yes Misbah is the worst thing to have ever happened to Pakistan Cricket period, dont be fooled by his inconsequential efforts with the bat in meaningless non pressure situations, he is going to pull off yet another Mohali when it really matters, its in his destiny.

The team is winning inspite of him not because of him. Nothing gives me more pleasure to see Pakistan win and Misbah fail.

What if he leads Pakistan to victory against England and produces with the bat?

Seriously there are some pathetic pakistan fans on here. Im sure there are quite a few the OP, Savak and probably a host of others that are hoping and praying pakistan lose to england so they can call Misbah a **** captain.

Its a pathetic situation when fans are pretty much hoping the team loses so they can vent their personal vendettas at players they dont like.

For those so called einsteins out there why dont you name the so called agressive captain that pakistan should have then. We are playing england and last time i checked andrew strauss wasnt exactly aggresive captaincy material.

Either get behind the team and quite moan or seriously get lost and go support India or some other side. We dont need "so called fans" who pretty much want the team to do badly so they can make themselves come across as so called "Know it alls"

Give me a winning so called boring captain over an exciting losing one any day!

Great posts, I'm sick of flashy cricket that entertains the fans for a few hours then we end up losing. This steady approach throughout the 5 days of a Test match has worked well, hence we have not lost a series under Misbah's captaincy.

We have rightly gone back to basics, get the players to put a price on their wicket, hit the bad balls and to take your time. Some fans here should cast their mind back to the England tour last summer where getting even 200 was a struggle, let alone the 470 we scored in this Test. There is no rush in a Test match and no need to be looking at the strike rates all the time. As confidence develops amongst the younger batsmen then the runs will flow more easily and Pakistan will accelerate if needs be. Don't get me wrong, constructive criticism is fine but some fans here are scrutinising Misbah for everything he does, and are not giving credit where it is due.

Last edited:
The Magical 10 Wicket Session and The Emergence Of Misbah's Captaincy One Year On

This day last year Pakistan's test team got back on track, we bowled out New Zealand in a session to win by 10 wickets inside 3 days, Rehman was MOM, Misbah had his 1st test win as captain and then the news came through a few hours later that they were considering carrying on with Misbah as captain instead of Afridi going into the World Cup and Waqar was in favour of Misbah doing the captaincy - I remember the 2nd test of the series and many fans were hoping for a Pakistan defeat because of that which Pakistan ended up drawing with Misbah being MOM for 99 and 70*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-TC_i52CyoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

one year later most acknowledge there is no better man to lead the Pakistan Team than the Misbah

Misbah 1 v 0 Strauss

Any morons wish to comment on our defensive skipper now? :)))

Winning against big teams, no matter how ugly, is high profile and raises interest in cricket. Great for promotion to youngsters back in Pakistan. Haters are free to hate.

Misbah is a strange character.

In another time, if things had gone his way he could have been a star for us.

Misbah is one of the very few educated people in Pak cricket (has an MBA). He obviously has a brain and is not thick.

When he has captained he has done a good job in the field. At least that will be an improvement on previous captains in that department (most of which didnt have a clue how to set fields!)

As a player, he has shown over a 2 year period around 07, that he was good. He showed good mental strength, playing well in extremely tough situations.

It looks to me like he is a form player. Ie when he is doing well, he looks great, but when is performing badly looks extremely bad.

While he is obviously a short term solution both as captain and batsman, I hope that he does well (for Pakistans sake!). He looks on form domestically - so hopefully he can translate that to test cricket.

My biggest concern is that he is old and thereofore probably past it. He was also one of the Group of people that ganged up against Younis (which means I dislike him!)

It looks like :ibutt :107: is trying to rub salt into the wounds of Younis Khan.

I think this was my first post on Misbah.... in Oct 2010.

Now that I know him, I doubt he ganged up on :yk

Last edited:
Shows how important leadership is....

I hope Pakistan itself can now have an excellent leader too....

Any haters left? Savak you ready to bow to the Master Misbah? :)))

He's a very good captain, I think most importantly he's got the field right against every English batsman. The angles are perfect, there's always a player where they hit the ball.

I think Nasser said something along the lines of how he sort of 'understands' Misbah's approach now...sth like that he said me thinks.

This guy does his hmwk and keeps it together in pressure situation. Respect. :misbah

'Mohail Mourners' (as one user nicely put it) will keep on mourning, let 'em be Amjid. :yk

Last edited:
Along with Imran khan and Inzi hes got the best out of the pakistan team hes been given!

excellent captain! Instills so much belief into his team which is why we are playing so well.

Along with Imran khan and Inzi hes got the best out of the pakistan team hes been given!

excellent captain! Instills so much belief into his team which is why we are playing so well.

Agree 100%.

shame he is 37/38.

Just saw Misbah's celebration of the last wicket. :)))

Yes.. you can punch now. :waqar

Mistake Misbah makes

1. Misbah plays to defensive he should play aggressive.

2.Misbah Field Setup is poor and he give to much gap and put the fielder back for the opposition to make easy run (they not going to smash the ball instead they do single ..basically the batting side like that kind of field setup ......remember every run is important

3.If Misbah is the last batsman with a tailender then misbah should take strike all the time because the opposition want the tailender on strike and get out

4. Should do dot ball the way Misbah field setup is it more likely singles flow (England 2nd ODI did 90+ singles and those singles should have been dot ball)

5. Misbah has a big tank of good bowlers but does not setup good field setup for them

6. Misbah not good at making a batting lineup

Misbah Default batiing lineup for ODI (not aranged good)
--------------------------
M Hafeez
I Farhat
Azhar / Asad Shafiq
Younus Khan
Misbah Ul Haq
Umar Akmal
Shahid Afridi
A Rehman
U Gul
S Ajmal / Wahab Riaz
A Cheema / Junaid Khan / Wahab Riaz

Should be like this
--------------------------
M Hafeez
I Farhat
Azhar / Asad Shafiq
Younus Khan
Misbah Ul Haq
Umar Akmal
Shahid Afridi
Umar Gul
Saeed Ajmal
Aizaz Cheema / Wahab Riaz
Abdur Rehman / Junaid Khan

You can see i made the hard hitting Umar Gul bat at no 8
you can see i made the run making saeed Ajmal bat at no 9
Aizaz Cheema and Wahab Riaz is better batsmans than Abdur Rehman and Junaid Khan so Aizaz and Wahab bats at no 10

Abdur Rehman is probably the worst batsman ever so he should not bat no 8 and should bat at no 11

Junaid Khan bats at no 11 because of he limted shot like Abdur Rehman

Thats how misbah is going to get the most out of his batting lineup

Misbah done this mistake over and over again he should have learn from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Misbah played at the striek rate of 80... That's not defensive... That's the kind of rate you play at when you are making a partnership... Problem is that there is no one in our team who could make a paretnership with someone, only Misbah could do that...................

But morale of this thread.... It was all Misbah's fault......... While what Afridi and Younis Khan did, are not to be blamed......

Misbah played at the striek rate of 80... That's not defensive... That's the kind of rate you play at when you are making a partnership... Problem is that there is no one in our team who could make a paretnership with someone, only Misbah could do that...................

But morale of this thread.... It was all Misbah's fault......... While what Afridi and Younis Khan did, are not to be blamed......

what good is a sr 80 if he can`t hit 4s and 6s willingly basically he does quick singles thats why he got sr 80

The only part I would blame Misbah for (apart from his poor field placings) is when he was batting with Umar in the powerplay (batting too slow) and also when he was batting with Afridi (again was batting pretty slow), which put pressure on these two batsmen to go for runs...

Though Afridi and to some extent Umar are also be blamed, due to their poor shot selection.

250 run could have been 170 runs if those easy single were dot balls that why i don`t like misbah field setup of puting the field back SOMEONE HAS TO TELL MISBAH THAT\

hope you reading this misbah

Last edited:
what good is a sr 80 if he can`t hit 4s and 6s willingly basically he does quick singles thats why he got sr 80

It's not always about 4s and 6s... Plz take alook at COOK's strike rate..... That is how you build a partnership... You don't have to hit 6s and 4s to mkae a partnership......

Problem is.....misbah usually finishes his innings at the strike rate of 80.....but scores at around 50 in the beginning n middle of the innings....which time n time again has destoyed the tempo of the case and puts too much pressure on the team n other bats around him. He is the worse chasing captain playing odi cricket atm....by far. With him, well never chase anything over 240 against a decent attack

When i say misbah is defensive it means he is a defensive captain not a agressive captain look at Alastair Cook captaincy he was being agresive and had a good field setup that why it was hard to do easy single for Pakistan

When i say misbah is defensive it means he is a defensive captain not a agressive captain look at Alastair Cook captaincy he was being agresive and had a good field setup that why it was hard to do easy single for Pakistan

plz define Defensive captain....................

What about the 6 bowls that Afridi completly missed???

yes you are right then he accelerated and made runs quickly by sadly after he looked good he got out Even England commentor (Pakistan fielding) said that whats going on why misbah made a defensive field setup it more easy for england to make single in every ball .

Last edited:
Last few odi series, i dont remember Misbah has played any winning Role in it???

He is good for test matches but not for ODi. Make Lala captain for Odis..... Misbah is hell defensive...... i think LALA should be captain

Defensive captain is someone who only relies who just sits back and wait for the opposition to make mistakes.

Defensive field set up or aggressive field set up, is something else.... Just because your field is defensive doesn't mean that you are defensive captain, same for aggressive.

Last few odi series, i dont remember Misbah has played any winning Role in it???

He is good for test matches but not for ODi. Make Lala captain for Odis..... Misbah is hell defensive...... i think LALA should be captain

:))) :)))) :))))

Bro, have you ever watched Afridi captain his team??? Afridi might be a aggressive bowler and batsmen, but he is one of the most defensive captains...........

Ok i think people have started to call Misbah a defensive captain only based on his batting... Not on his captaincy :facepalm:

but i don`t want afridi to be captain he turn out like a tilkaratine dilshan and i don`t want that to happend so far misbah has not lost us any series yet but Misbah is a handy player hope fully Pakistan will mak the series 2-2

:))) :)))) :))))

Bro, have you ever watched Afridi captain his team??? Afridi might be a aggressive bowler and batsmen, but he is one of the most defensive captains...........

Ok i think people have started to call Misbah a defensive captain only based on his batting... Not on his captaincy :facepalm:

no i like misbah batting and i like him occupieng the crease when required but misbah is a defensive captain becuase he make defensive decision and make defensive field setup

England got 70 extra runs because of misbah defensive field setup

no i like misbah batting and i like him occupieng the crease when required but misbah is a defensive captain becuase he make defensive decision and make defensive field setup

England got 70 extra runs because of misbah defensive field setup

Tell me the defensive decision he makes....

Bro, defensive field set up is actaully a good thing... When your field set up is defensive, you save alot of singles and doubles...

Unless you are saying he should have had a aggressive fielding, which is when you fielders are normally standing on the boundary ropes

Last edited:

Bro, defensive field set up is actaully a good thing... When your field set up is defensive, you save alot of singles and doubles...

Like he diside to play slow (for India vs pak WC2011) he dision was to play defensive and give pak dot in the matches you must have watched PAKvs Ind semi final

Misbah supoose to do a atacking field setup

attachment.php

thesse arrow indicate easy runs

Attachments

• ccxc.jpg
    ccxc.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 253

Unless you are saying he should have had a aggressive fielding, which is when you fielders are normally standing on the boundary ropes

are you telling me misbah should not save easy single and make it easy for the batsman to nudge one run or two

Like he diside to play slow (for India vs pak WC2011) he dision was to play defensive and give pak dot in the matches you must have watched PAKvs Ind semi final
So if a player plays slow, that doesn't mean that his CAPTAINCY is defensive..........

Though, COOK had a batting strike rate of 84, while Misbah had a battin strike rate of 80............ Innings builder.... Partnership...

are you telling me misbah should not save easy single and make it easy for the batsman to nudge one run or two

He should offcource..... BUt ENgland's field setting was no different from what Pakistan had set up..... Our wickets fell due to some foolish shots played by our batsmen.

He should offcource..... BUt ENgland's field setting was no different from what Pakistan had set up..... Our wickets fell due to some foolish shots played by our batsmen.

Use your eye look again and at england field setup because it is way better than PAK Field setup comentator even said that why misbah you should making a attacking field setup comentator didnt say much bad thing about eng field setup

it takes 2 players to make partnerships

so who is the other mystery batsman?

there is none -face the facts dude the reason we lose chasing is lack of anyone at the other end who can hold a bat under pressure

Guys, it not just Misbah's fault. We simply do not have the batting talent to put pressure on the opposition. We have grafters who may at times do well in tests.

You guys don`t understand i said if the easy single were dot balls then it would have been 200- run chase for pak it just our bowler are owfull

You guys don`t understand i said if the easy single were dot balls then it would have been 200- run chase for pak it just our bowler are owfull

against any other attack England would have scored more in both matches

Your batting cany chase 250 -thats the issue

it takes 2 players to make partnerships

so who is the other mystery batsman?

there is none -face the facts dude the reason we lose chasing is lack of anyone at the other end who can hold a bat under pressure

exactly.... Younis Khan's bad performance plays a big role here...

The biggest problem is Misbah cant find a partner to hold the wicket on the other end. All Misbah wants is a partner. Umar Akmal hit a few boundaries and got out, Afridi hacked a bit and got out, and lo behold tail exposed.

Misbah used to have a good partner Asad shafiq and Younus Khan but not any more

Defensive captain is someone who only relies who just sits back and wait for the opposition to make mistakes.

And that's exactly what Misbah was doing... He was giving away really easy singles in attempt to stop boundaries and yet the boundaries where coming... Basically he was hoping for the batsmen to make a mistake (i.e. hitting the ball straight in the air to long-on or long-off)...

Did you not watch the match? When Bopara came on to bat the field was spread out instead of attacking. This way he got easy singles and the pressure was relieved. Same for others. This is 100% Misbahs fault. Please stop posting nonsense.

Also, since the beginning of last year Misbah's ODI Strike Rate has been 68. I would like to hear your views on this. Is this an acceptable ODI strike rate for a number 5 batsman?

Misbah needs to realize his mistakes/blunders or else he should quit LOI cricket. Simple.

Did you not watch the match? When Bopara came on to bat the field was spread out instead of attacking. This way he got easy singles and the pressure was relieved. Same for others. This is 100% Misbahs fault. Please stop posting nonsense.

Also, since the beginning of last year Misbah's ODI Strike Rate has been 68. I would like to hear your views on this. Is this an acceptable ODI strike rate for a number 5 batsman?

thas what i told everyone and by the way Misbah sr is 75 check it in cricinfo

Nasser hussain kept saying in the commentry that pakistan is giving easy singles to england. At one point he said " their you go another single, and again and again"! It seemed liked he wanted to just go there and change the field for misbah!

Where as when pakistan team were batting, the field set up was as such that pak batsman couldn't score those singles. Therefore, they had to try and hit 4s and 6s which brought their downfall.

Another mistake of his is that he is persisting with u.akmal as the keeper which is hurting our team aswell as umar.

Another mistake of his is that he is persisting with u.akmal as the keeper which is hurting our team aswell as umar.

Problem is his the only wicket keeper we got that performs with the bat

we have wicket keeper Safraz Ahmed, Adnan Akmal, Mohammad Salman , Kamran Akmal

but problem is Safraz Ahmed and Adnan Akmal and Mohammad Salman don`t perform with the bat but good wicketkeeper

Kamran Akmal is a good batsman but a catch droping machine so he no good hes to Fat

He is not good enough as a captain in odi. His tactics r always defensive. He replaced shafiq with Azhar ali.If U and Younis r already in middle order than how can u go for Azhar ali in an odi match. Non sense.
He must not be a captain in odi.

Problem is his the only wicket keeper we got that performs with the bat

we have wicket keeper Safraz Ahmed, Adnan Akmal, Mohammad Salman , Kamran Akmal

but problem is Safraz Ahmed and Adnan Akmal and Mohammad Salman don`t perform with the bat but good wicketkeeper

Kamran Akmal is a good batsman but a catch droping machine so he no good hes to Fat

How is he fat?

Nasser hussain kept saying in the commentry that pakistan is giving easy singles to england. At one point he said " their you go another single, and again and again"! It seemed liked he wanted to just go there and change the field for misbah!

Where as when pakistan team were batting, the field set up was as such that pak batsman couldn't score those singles. Therefore, they had to try and hit 4s and 6s which brought their downfall.

Nas and Waqar I believe who agreed with him, were spot on.

What Nas just could not fathom was how this same attack were given license to attack by Misbah on the same pitch, same ground, same conditions a week or so ago.

Yet here they had to bowl to really defensive fields - Point being that Misbah's mindset for the ODI's scrambled his tactics.

If it worked on the same pitch, in the same conditions in the same ground with the same bowlers against the same team (- a few players) a week or so ago in Tests, then why not start the ODI using that?

If it doesn't work fine; But at least you tried what worked - not doing a passive:inzi as captain impression or worse...

Doing a :moyo...

Last edited:
He is not good enough as a captain in odi. His tactics r always defensive. He replaced shafiq with Azhar ali.If U and Younis r already in middle order than how can u go for Azhar ali in an odi match. Non sense.
He must not be a captain in odi.

So if Misbah switches a player how is that defensive then?????

Din't Azhar Ali show a decent performance.

Back