The Pakistani (or desi) superstitions thread

Muslims were controllers of the World, before the West came and immersed them in dancing and drinking and alcohol and Muslim downfall started.

200 years later...

West is still making sure Muslims don't succeed in any field of life.

Muslims were controllers of the World, before the West came and immersed them in dancing and drinking and alcohol and Muslim downfall started.

200 years later...

West is still making sure Muslims don't succeed in any field of life.

That's on oversimplification but not far from the truth in some regards ;)

One I've been taught was not to share your nightmare with anyone.

hen your palm(hand) felt itchy, that meant you were going to get a big amount of money from someone

Do not walk over someone, that person lying down will forever remain short

Cover your mouth when yawning or shaitan will enter :inti

Theories/ Rumors taught to you as a kid

Again, it is amazing to see how almost everyone of us has been brought up into some of these theories.

New Born Babies are picked up from a river as they are carefully placed in floating wooden box. (The story of prophet Musa (as))

I initially believed that till age 5 or 6 but had my suspicions, till finally one day I heard my aunt answering to her kids, the question, " How do we know between different animals whether they lay egg or give birth?
The answer was, generally animals with visible ears give birth, and those with no visible ears lay eggs.

I immdiately thought about humans and did not ask her about that. I thought it would be awkward and embarrassing.

But quietly I had gotten my answer. :)

In the Bollywood film 'Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya?' (2005), a kid asks the same question to Sushmita Sen. She was on about how an angel drops from the heavens to hand them over to the parents, when the kid suddenly says to his sibling, "Auntie ko tou kuchh pata hee nahi´n hai."

One I've been taught was not to share your nightmare with anyone.

That´s a superstition that I believe at a personal level, and the background of this are bad experiences. Hence, I keep my nightmares to myself, even though they feel like a heavy burden.

I remember, in our childhood me and my brother would sometimes jump over each other while playing, that one would sit on the ground while the other would run and jump over him taking him a hurdle . But then some would say " nhi baeta, aesa nhi krta bhai chota rah jae ga !"

It always remained a puzzle for me that i did not know who would remain shorter than the other since we both used to take turns.

Lol nice resurrection of a legendary thread.

Anybody been told not to put both your hands on the back of your head, as it is bad luck?

Also any truth to the shaving of children's head to stop baldness?

One more thing which i hated was a glass of milk during my bedtime.

Some times my mother would awake me the moment i closed my eyes , i would have no other option and would drink it up but leave a small amount in it. At this she would say, " saari barkat issi ghoontt mein hai "...

Another puzzle which always confused me.

As my grand mother used to say, don't travel or start any business on Tuesday. Mangal thanda din hunda ai! :sanga

I know I aint Pakistani but I feel like asking something

Anyone else ever been told that breaking a mirror leads to 7 years of bad luck???

Anyone else ever been told that breaking a mirror leads to 7 years of bad luck???

You're an honorary Pakistani now.

If I'm not mistaken, in our culture breaking glass of any sort is actually a good omen. I'm not sure if different rules apply for mirrors.

I used to routinely smash vials, thimbles, spectacles, car windows etc to be on the safe side.

One more thing which i hated was a glass of milk during my bedtime.

Some times my mother would awake me the moment i closed my eyes , i would have no other option and would drink it up but leave a small amount in it. At this she would say, " saari barkat issi ghoontt mein hai "...

Another puzzle which always confused me.

I don't know about milk, but there were guys who would insist on smoking cigarettes right down to the filter. There was an apocryphal saying attributed to Hitler, of all people, about that last drag right before the filter being worth a hundred kisses.

Personally I hated it. The first drag is the best. Besides, I don't know if Hitler smoked, and if he did, all those WWII movies show people smoking filterless cigarettes. Did Hitler singe his fingers just to experience the equivalent of a hundred kisses?

Lol nice resurrection of a legendary thread.

Anybody been told not to put both your hands on the back of your head, as it is bad luck?

Also any truth to the shaving of children's head to stop baldness?

The shaving the head cure is executed by overzealous, trigger-happy barbers on adults too.

When the hair grows back, it is thicker, because that's how hair is: it is thicker at the root and then tapers out as it grows longer. And they would point out how thick the "new" hair was, and insist on more tinds to really consolidate the improvement.

The other cure they insist on is frequent oiling. One venerable old nai once gave me a detailed description of a hair's anatomy: apparently there's a hole at the end, which allows the hair to "drink" the oil, and it goes down along the length of rge shaft of the hair, eventually saturating the root. He said some recalcitrant hair refuse to "drink" the oil. The remedy was to force them to. In his words, "nahein peetey to zabardasti pilaao." That would be a great line for a bartender.

Lol as far as i know if a glass breaks it means that you warded off the evil spirit or sth :))

Dont know about mirrors.

The shaving the head cure is executed by overzealous, trigger-happy barbers on adults too.

When the hair grows back, it is thicker, because that's how hair is: it is thicker at the root and then tapers out as it grows longer. And they would point out how thick the "new" hair was, and insist on more tinds to really consolidate the improvement.

I dont think this is true at all. My friend got screwed because of this advice lol.

He had bit of a receding hairline and the naai suggested to shave it off and it would grow better as a result like you also mentioned. He took the risk of shaving the whole thing and the hair never grew back even half of his original length. He is forced to keep a buzz cut now. He is 23 but looks 45 lol!!

We've all given him a lot of greef over the past few years :)))

I dont think this is true at all. My friend got screwed because of this advice lol.

He had bit of a receding hairline and the naai suggested to shave it off and it would grow better as a result like you also mentioned.

No that's what I meant, it isn't true. But the nais swear by it.

Wasn´t this actually related to sneezing? That´s the version that I know at least.

The sneezing version is by far the most prevalent.

The roots of it are in Sufism I believe. I've actually read a Sufi booklet where this is mentioned, although I forget the name of the booklet. It was one of those sold at roadside bookstores for peanuts.

The soul, it said, even in people not spiritually advanced, is still aware enough of the connection it has with other souls. So when some other soul thinks of it, it can trigger a response like a sneeze. Or a reciprocal thinking of that other soul. It's uncanny how, when one is thinking of someone, the phone rings or the doorbell rings, and it is that person.

Wallahu Alam, as MalikMohsin would say ;)

As my grand mother used to say, don't travel or start any business on Tuesday. Mangal thanda din hunda ai! :sanga

This is interesting. There are also beliefs (I hesitate to say superstitions, because they too are derived from Sufi beliefs) about lunar calendar days on which travel shouldn't be initiated.

The Pakistani Superstition thread

The sneezing version is by far the most prevalent.

The roots of it are in Sufism I believe. I've actually read a Sufi booklet where this is mentioned, although I forget the name of the booklet. It was one of those sold at roadside bookstores for peanuts.

The soul, it said, even in people not spiritually advanced, is still aware enough of the connection it has with other souls. So when some other soul thinks of it, it can trigger a response like a sneeze. Or a reciprocal thinking of that other soul. It's uncanny how, when one is thinking of someone, the phone rings or the doorbell rings, and it is that person.

Wallahu Alam, as MalikMohsin would say ;)

Interesting. Sometimes I get myself to believe in such lovie-dovie concepts just for the sake of saying, "You missed me? I was sneezing whole day."

Remember telling [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] bhai about it some 23 months ago, when I felt for Ellyse Perry, making the poor girl sneeze whole days.

So yeah, false or not, I stick to any such superstitions which can have possible romantic interpretations.

Leaving from home for a journey and just when you reach your outside door, any one of your ammi, behn, khala, naani, daadi, phuppi, taayi, or biwi will call you and say, "Dahi to khata ja!". Perplexed, with your stomach about to explode due to lunch stuffed up to your throat, wondering how exactly dahi is going to benefit or safeguard you during your travel, you mutter up courage to respond to their utter non-sense and say, "Ghar se nikalte waqt peechay se awaz nahi dia karein, ab zaroor kuch bura hoga mere saath!!!".

during my paranoid days I would read sinister meanings in anything. like just boarding delta airways flight, i would notice that the letters DIE are hidden in the airlines names.. same with Etihad, and I would think is that destiny telling me something.

Thread of the week! Have heard about eighty percent of the superstitions mentioned here.

*Sweeping with a Jhaarru around at the time of Maghrib Salaat is a bad omen.

*One shouldn´t look into the mirrors once it´s dark outside. The ghosts feel being invited:))).

*Making a baby look into the mirror causes diarrhea.

Thank God our family isn´t quite interested in all these superstitions.

Really?? Never heard that one.

I am going to do this first thing when its dark today.

The Pakistani Superstition thread

Really?? Never heard that one.

I am going to do this first thing when its dark today.

It´s 22:02 PM, in case you live in Pakistan. Leave your room with a mirror and get the experiment done.

Should you succeed, convey my warm regards to the ghost, irrespective of its gender, ethnicity, religion or country. Say no to discrimination!

And, please don´t scream too loud if it scares you, or else I will have to delete your post.

I don't know about milk, but there were guys who would insist on smoking cigarettes right down to the filter. There was an apocryphal saying attributed to Hitler, of all people, about that last drag right before the filter being worth a hundred kisses.

Personally I hated it. The first drag is the best. Besides, I don't know if Hitler smoked, and if he did, all those WWII movies show people smoking filterless cigarettes. Did Hitler singe his fingers just to experience the equivalent of a hundred kisses?

How cigarette and kiss are related ?

Sensation may be?

This thread will steal the thunder of the Great Pakistani Superstition thread. I must bump that one.

Need to be merged. This needs to be merged with that.

The original and the best.

Spotting a black crow sitting on the wall of your home means a guest is on its way directed towards you :D

Bum.

Sorry, bump.

The new thread on superstitions reminded me of this one: at one time, and that time wasn't so long ago, this thread was considered a worthy accompaniment to the Jinn thread, before it fell into oblivion.

There are some good superstitions here, my favorite being drinking raw milk after committing murder.

Another merger on the cards.

Acquisition, not merger.

Merger would suggest a union of equals, which would be incorrect, given how this thread is older, established, and higher on the post count statistic.

Can the acquisition be hostile? That would spice things up a bit.

Never pay someone by keeping a note between your index and middle finger, apparently your wealth will decrease. LOL.

Don't walk over someone, he/she will not grow in height.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Acquisition, not merger.

Merger would suggest a union of equals, which would be incorrect, given how this thread is older, established, and higher on the post count statistic.

Can the acquisition be hostile? That would spice things up a bit.

I prefer murder and execution over merger and acquisitions.

All acquisitions are hostile. There can be no other way!

Yes so as I was saying,

There is apparently an old saying that if you put a roti or naan on top of a kebab then someone in your house will die.

I was mid sip of a lassi when someone blurted it out at an extended family gathering, nearly spat it out.

my father's side of the family seems to have a lot of these random superstitions, another of them being that don't eat a white colored desert when you visit someone's house, it will have bad omens in it which you will consume.

Also remember one being don't shake your legs when sitting on a chair or stool, when I asked why I just got a cold stare, so I don't even know at this point.

Oh and, put away your toys which have faces at night, because you know, they'll come to life.

Will post more when I remember the rest lol. :asif

Last edited:
Yes so as I was saying,

my father's side of the family seems to have a lot of these random superstitions, another of them being that don't eat a white colored desert when you visit someone's house, it will have bad omens in it which you will consume.

Also remember one being don't shake your legs when sitting on a chair or stool, when I asked why I just got a cold stare, so I don't even know at this point.

Oh and, put away your toys which have faces at night, because you know, they'll come to life.

Haha. Somebody's been watching way too many Toy Story type movies.

Yes so as I was saying,

:))

The shaking legs one is because it is as if you are giving Shaytan a ride. :moyo

if you have had an accident don't meet with the new people especially women.

1. If you keep extending your index finger while eating, you will separate from your family. (I did it and still do it).

2. If you trip anywhere while going outside, you should sit down and have a drink (preferably water). Otherwise some untoward things may happen to you.

3. You should never ask someone where he is going when he is leaving for a task. (I always used to ask my dad and got told off by my parents. Finally I started asking them from where they will be coming from).

4. Never use your left hand while getting something from someone (I always used to do it).

5. Never shake your legs while sitting. It will bring trouble to your home.

6. Women shouldn't take part in prayers while they are in their periods. They are deemed "dirty" during that phase. This is something practised unanimously in all religions.

7. The dark cats thing where they are subjected to racism.

8. Never sleep when the lamps are alight. That symbolises death.

9. Never cut nails on tuesday and saturday. Don't ask.

10. You shouldn't cross over someone's extended legs. If you do that, you should cross it again in the opposite direction to reverse the jinx. If you do it thrice, you should once again cross it in the other direction. The key is to not do it at all or do it in even numbers.

Do not come home directly after visiting a graveyard. A "roh" might find out where you live.

Do not sit underneath tall/old trees after dusk. Jinns live in them and one of them may possess you.

If you find an eyelash fallen on your cheek/face, hold it up, make a wish and blow away the eye lash. Your wish will come true :facepalm:

If you use scissors in the air without cutting anything, bad things may happen to you and your family..

Rather interesting. I am still not sure whether she's a Jinn or a cat. It's going to take time till I figure that one out. Meanwhile, I might just buy budgies and sell my cat now that you freaked me out. :79:

Might as well, to stay on the safe side. That said, since it's a Jinni and not a Jinn, you may want to keep her around.

Essentially if I am having cat meat, I am enjoying a Jinn meat special, is that correct? If so I am on the next flight to China.

Not necessarily. Cats are a frequent vehicle for Jinn, but not all cats are Jinn. Feast away.

Get a cat and dunk it in Beefeaters.....

Oh sorry, it is Jinn and not Ginn, hehe :)

Rather interesting. I am still not sure whether she's a Jinn or a cat. It's going to take time till I figure that one out. Meanwhile, I might just buy budgies and sell my cat now that you freaked me out. :79:

Look into cat's eyes closely, you will know either it's Jin or cat.

[MENTION=22846]Nostalgic[/MENTION] - I want to personally thank you for making me feel scared every time I see my cat. :bow:

:42:Why is a Jinni less harmful than a Jinn?

Because when Jinni falls in love with males, at least they don't hurt them :))

Actually in the Jinn thread, we've dwelt at length on human-Jinn(i) liaisons. They're mentioned in literature, both fiction and non-fiction.

Jinnis are known to be passionate, as opposed to their more calculating male counterparts. Proceed with caution.

Leaving from home for a journey and just when you reach your outside door, any one of your ammi, behn, khala, naani, daadi, phuppi, taayi, or biwi will call you and say, "Dahi to khata ja!". Perplexed, with your stomach about to explode due to lunch stuffed up to your throat, wondering how exactly dahi is going to benefit or safeguard you during your travel, you mutter up courage to respond to their utter non-sense and say, "Ghar se nikalte waqt peechay se awaz nahi dia karein, ab zaroor kuch bura hoga mere saath!!!".

Just wanted to quote this post. Every time I go through this thread, this one strikes me as the most hilarious.

"Dahi to khaata jaa!"

[MENTION=22846]Nostalgic[/MENTION]: Are you for real dude? -.-
[MENTION=140316]IslamabadUnited[/MENTION]: Please don't give away your cat over this nonsense.

Back