The Sri Lanka Cricket Thread

Danyaalr01

First Class Player
Runs
Sri Lanka is definitely starting to recover from the losses of Sangakkara, Jayawardena and Dilshan. They started by upsetting South Africa in South Africa in the recent test series, they then upset England in the world cup, and now they have white washed the number 1 T20I side Pakistan. They have taken down heavyweights in all three formats this year.

All three series showed us the talent they have. The South Africa series showed us Vishwa Fernando, Oshada Fernando and Kusal Perera again drew comparisons with Sanath Jayasuriya. Dimuth Karunaratne is one of the best test openers these days and also showed us he can be a good ODI player in the World Cup.

In the World Cup Avishka Fernando was looking extremely fluid, looked extremely classy and is definitely one to look out for in the future. Malinga showed us the value of experience with his deadly yorkers.

In the recently concluded T20I series between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka looked like they had a plan, were able to execute their plans and were so much structured than Pakistan. Wanindu Hasaranga's googly's were almost impossible to pick for the Pakistan batsmen and he clearly out foxed them. Oshada Fernando again showed us what a talent he is. Bhanuka Rajapaksa is definitely one for the future with his clean strking of the ball. Many of the players from this series look a lot better than the players in the current 'full strength' Sri Lanka line-up.
Sri Lanka out played Pakistan with bat, ball, planning and in the field.

Another reason Sri Lankan cricket is again on the rise is because the selectors are giving chances to youngsters who perform in domestic, this is soemthing Misbah-Ul-Haq should learn from. These youngsters are really taking their chances and not disappointing the selectors.

Need to see more results and then we can talk about a new era etc.

Need to see more results and then we can talk about a new era etc.

Exactly, first need to see their performance against top teams like india, australia and england. Not to take any credits away from this young sri lankan side but Pakistan were utterly pathetic this series thanks to misbahs old age defensive mindset being enforced upon our team.

SL performed better in T20 against Pak. They were not that good in ODI. Their future matches will tell whether they were better or Pak team made a mess of themselves.

How is Sri Lanka producing such aggressive and dynamic batsmen?

The likes of Avishka Fernando, Oshada Fernando, Niroshan Dickwella, Gunatilaka, minod bhanuka, bhanuka rajapaksa, kusal perera, shanaka and many others have shown their ability to play shots fearlessly and go at a healthy strike rate whilst playing modern day shots.

Furthermore, if you look at the domestic stats of batsmen like angelo perera, samarawickrama, munaweera and isuru Udana you will see that even in 4 day cricket their strike rates are close to 80.

I find all this interesting as i was under the assumption that Sri Lankan domestic cricket is of a worse standard than even Pakistan Cricket. But i wonder how Sri Lanka is producing such aggressive and dynamic batsmen. Are the pitches conducive to strokeplay back home? Or is it natural ability formed thorough following legends like Jayasuriya?

The results haven't come yet, but Sri Lanka are finally producing decent players now, otherwise they were going through a phase where they were recalling old players or the new players weren't doing anything.

Organized School cricket. They are coached properly from young age so whoever makes debut for them is almost already a finished Product.

All countries produce dynamic batsmen, especially for the shorter formats of the game.

Pakistan is the only one who does something special to keep churning out dulcet, one-paced players one generation after another.

Because none of coaches in the domestic have proper coaching background. Prime example is Misbah and Waqar. They got the job based on few months coaching training session. That's it. These people were never passionate about coaching skills to develop. What they do just tell players play straight, take single, some big talks and then sit on their comfort couch and chitchat. To be a proper coach you need more than that.

Simply, they are playing the right brand of cricket and enforcing the current crop of domestic players to bat in accordance to the modern game.

With Misbah on the other hand we have no hope - after all he was on 17 off 42 balls in the Mohali game and continued to bat for himself in the first half of the 2010s.

By the time of next WC, I expect SRL to be a strong contender. They were struggling with the chaos in their system and obviously loss of few world class players.

Their weakness is pace attack for white ball but have spinners for India and they do have some of the most exciting young batsmen coming through again. Couple of young players made their mark in this series and there are couple of outstanding kids playing in junior ranks (Pathum Nissanka, Kamindu Mendis, Priyamal Perera, Ashen Bandara.....). What they need is some consistency in terms of captaincy & coaching staff with a long term focus.

All countries produce dynamic batsmen, especially for the shorter formats of the game.

Pakistan is the only one who does something special to keep churning out dulcet, one-paced players one generation after another.

The problem is our domestic wickets have not been up to international standard for the last decade. We are churning out batsmen with limited stroke play and timing problems

Pakistani bowlers own their own upcoming batsmen in domestics. The ownage is so bad that it carries on even after these batsmen make international debut. Once timid, always timid.

Blame the Pak bowlers.

Was about to write exactly this. Every country bar Pakistan has recognised the game has moved on from the 90's. It's just a general mind shift. England is the best example I can think of, overnight they decided they were going to get rid of the defensive mindset and go for broke. Probably the advent of KP helped.

I said it for months not to write off Sri Lankan cricket. They will be back. They have talented players.

Hilarious how our fans called them minnows and they beat so called best T20 team in the world.

Ashantha de Mel, Sri Lanka’s chief selector, heaped praise on the national team’s youngsters, who came to the fore to deliver a 3-0 win in the T20I series against world No.1 Pakistan.

Sri Lanka travelled to Pakistan for a full series for the first time in a decade, but without several key players, who pulled out of the tour. However, their young brigade came together, often pulling the team out of tough situations, to sweep Pakistan in their own backyard.

De Mel was especially impressed with Bhanuka Rajapaksa, who made his international debut in this series, Oshada Fernando and Wanindu Hasaranga.

"What I was impressed with the youngsters is that they took the opportunity they were given with both hands," de Mel said. "Bhanuka was debuting, and Oshada was debuting as well, and they played out of their skins. We have watched these players, but to really come out and perform against the best T20I side in the world - their bowling is one of the strongest - for the way they played, it was amazing."

Rajapaksa made scores of 32, 77 and 3 in the three-match series. The second of those was a 48-ball effort, featuring four fours and six sixes, and lifted Sri Lanka to 182/6. Oshada played only at the start and end of the tours. After being dismissed for 1 in the second ODI, which was the first game in the tour to take place, after the first was washed out, Oshada was brought in for the final T20I, where he made over 50% of Sri Lanka’s runs, scoring 78 of their 147 runs. Hasaranga played a defining part through the series, picking up eight wickets in three games at an average of 9.87.

We have watched these players, but to really come out and perform against the best T20I side in the world - their bowling is one of the strongest - for the way they played, it was amazing.
Ashantha del Mel

"He [Oshada] took no risks. He reminded me of Mahela, just placing it over extra cover, very risk-free batting," de Mel said. "As a chief selector, I was happy because we were able to give these guys a chance. Because sometimes what happens is we take them on the tour but we're not able to actually give them a chance.

"For me, Wanindu is the most improved player that I've seen this year. Whether it's batting, bowling, fielding, the confidence he has is now fantastic."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1437342

Good to see a couple of talented faces but they were up against a deeply mediocre team. Beating Pakistan means nothing anymore.

They still have a long way to go before they can compete with and beat the top teams.

I think they have a pretty decent chance of making the WTC Final as well, they could easily whitewash us, England and Bangladesh in spin friendly conditions, their only tough test will be in South Africa.

The success behind Wanidu Hasaranga de Silva is that he used to bowl very tidy spells of leg spin consistently that earned him wickets in almost every match he played and was a big success in local tournaments taking wickets regularly.

But because of the senior players in the national team his selection was often delayed and now it seems that he has come to stay and all cricket fans will agree to this and wish him well in the future too.

The 22-year-old Hasaranga played so well in all three T/20 matches against Pakistan that he deservedly won the man of the match as well as the man of the series awards after the third match in Lahore. His leg spin and googly deliveries had the Pakistani batsmen in all sorts of trouble.

“My wrong one is what I use to get wickets with and try to instill pressure by bowling as many dot balls as possible. I always believe I have got enough variations to pick up wickets,” said Hasaranga the find of the Pakistan tour. He took eight wickets in the three T-20 match series with best figures 3 for 21 in the last game.

Hasaranga is a product of Richmond College who entered the international arena in 2017 at a one day game against Zimbabwe at the Galle international stadium where he had a memorable debut by taking a hat-trick making him the third debutant to take a hat-trick in ODI history.

He started his club cricket career at Ports Authority and then moved to CCC that won the Premier league championships last season.

He displayed his all round abilities at the National under-19 side before qualifying to the Sri Lanka ‘A’ side. However, he was most disappointed when he was named stand-bye player for the last World Cup as most of the cricket experts said he deserved to be in that squad ahead of Jeewan Mendis and Jeffry Vandersay.

“I worked hard on my game with an idea to enter the national team again. I not only dedicated my work at domestic level but also with the emerging team and the Sri Lanka ‘A’ team as an all rounder.

This helped my way to the national side again,” said Hasaranga.

“Sometimes when I get the chance to bowl during the power play, I always plan to bowl dot balls to put the pressure on the batsmen. I always varied my bowling and this is the success of my bowling.”

“During practices I always concentrated a lot on my fielding too. I always enjoyed my fielding and expect the ball to come in my direction at any time. I also keep my fitness level very high and be prepared for a game at any time. I obtained a lot of opportunities and exposure during the local tournaments,” noted Hasaranga.

Dhammika Sudharshana the Richmond College coach and present CCC coach Tharanga Dhammika said that Hasaranga has a good future with his all round skills.

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2019/10/13/sports/bowling-non-scoring-balls-my-strength-says-hasaranga

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is believed to be making efforts to rope in the services of Brett Lee and Jonty Rhodes as the bowling and fielding coach respectively for the men’s senior national team.

According to Ceylon Today, a local daily in the island nation, SLC have set out a vision to regain their lost cricketing prowess and are thus trying to acquire the services of the two legends of the game.

Rhodes was in the country recently to coach some school teams, while Lee is likely to join forces with another bowling great Wasim Akram, who showed interest to help the Lankan bowlers. However, the report contained no further information regarding the Pakistan legend’s appointment.

https://www.thestatesman.com/sports...ng-coach-respectively-reports-1502809441.html

SL definitely surprised me with their recent performances. Their win against England in the World Cup came out of nowhere. They also beat India in CT 2017.

I think SL just needs to be consistent and they can go back to their glory days.

Are he highlights worth watching ? Did Pakistan play mediocre or SL played well ? SL and Sanath was my 2nd favourite growing up, loved the late 90s early 2000s SL team that had Ranatunga, Sanath, De Silva, Murali and so on. I heard Banuka guy is like Sanath but there are like two of them lol. I want SL, South Africa and West Indies to be like how they were before.

Agree. Wins against Sri Lanka finally have started to matter and losing to them is no longer a shame.

On the other hand, South Africa has been going down rapidly as pointed out in another thread. Wins against them hold little importance, if any.

Sri Lanka name squad for Australia T20Is – Rajapaksa and Fernando retained

the 16-man squad, led by Lasith Malinga, sees the return of many experienced players to the side after Sri Lanka's 3-0 series victory in Pakistan.

After a young squad achieved a whitewash of Pakistan in the T20I series played as part of the return of international cricket to the country, Sri Lanka have returned to many of their more experienced players for their three-match series in Australia. Some of the best performances from that tour of Pakistan have been rewarded however, with Bhanuka Rajapaksa and Oshada Fernando retaining their spots after both making their debuts in Pakistan.

Rajapaksa earned headlines with a stunning 48-ball 77 which flattened Pakistan in the second T20I to secure a series victory. Fernando, on debut, then lit up the final match of the series with an unbeaten 78, also from 48 balls.

The squad also marks the return to captaincy for Malinga. The veteran had opted out of the Pakistan tour, and Dasun Shanaka captained the side in his stead. Other senior players who are returning to the squad after opting out of the last tour are Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Perera, and Kusal Mendis. Only two players are missing from the squad that hosted New Zealand a little over a month ago – Akila Dananjaya and Lahiru Madashanka. Dananjaya was suspended after appearing against New Zealand pending remedial work on his bowling action, while Madashanka failed to impress during his appearance in the Pakistan series.

Sri Lanka will travel to Australia this weekend ahead of the three-match series beginning on 27 October in Adelaide.

Squad

Lasith Malinga (c), Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis, Danushka Gunathilaka, Avishka Fernando, Niroshan Dickwella, Dasun Shanaka, Shehan Jayasuriya, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Oshada Fernando, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lakshan Sandakan, Nuwan Pradeep, Lahiru Kumara, Isuru Udana, Kasun Rajitha.

In the end it was a good thing for Sri Lanka that their "main players" declined the tour to Pakistan.

At a time when the cricketing fraternity is divided over top teams playing day-night Tests, former Sri Lanka batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan is against the idea of playing Test cricket under lights.

The 43-year-old was also not in favour of the International Cricket Council's (ICC) introduction of jersey numbers in Test cricket.

"I don’t think you should play Day-Night. Test cricket should be played only in daylight and in full whites, without numbers on the back. That’s a personal view. We should keep it simple. It’s the main format," Dilshan said on the sidelines of the Road Safety World Series on Thursday.

“I feel Test cricket should be played in the traditional way, just like the gentleman’s game,” he said.

He also believes that Test cricket has ‘definitely been impacted’ with the advent of T20s.

“Early on in my career, we used to play a lot of one-dayers besides Test cricket. Some countries have now reduced number of Test matches to make way for more T20 and ODIs, so it has affected Tests, but ICC should push Test cricket more,” Dilshan, who played 87 Tests for Sri Lanka, said.

“If you ask any cricketer - even now - and they will say they love to play Test cricket the most. That’s where the real talent is tested. More spectators are attracted towards T20 and one-days. Around 2005, it was feared people were moving away from cricket grounds, but then the World T20 and the IPL happened and it changed,” Dilshan said.

Talking about the current situation of Sri Lankan cricket, the former captain said: “We have a lot of young talent coming through. In the last series against Pakistan, we played a lot of good cricket. Lot of young guys played really well. Hopefully we can keep improving till the 2023 World Cup. With the experience of the likes of Lasith and Angelo, a lot of youngsters are coming through and fingers crossed, they can do a better job than what we did in 2011.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...numbers-sri-lanka-cricket/article29726786.ece

The schedule for England Men's two-Test tour of Sri Lanka in March 2020 has been confirmed.

The two Test matches will form part of the ICC World Test Championship, and as such will each be worth 60 points.

The first Test will be played at the Galle International Stadium, the second in Colombo at the R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium.

Prior to the Test Series there will be two warm-up fixtures, a three-day full squad participation warm-up match and a four-day First-Class match. Both matches will be against the SLC Board President’s XI.

Joe Root's side currently sit fifth in the ICC World Test Championship table, on 56 points, after drawing the Specsavers Ashes series 2-2 this summer.

England tour of Sri Lanka 2020

Saturday 7 March-Monday 9 March: Three-day warm-up v SLC Board President's XI - Katunayake, CMCG

Thursday 12 March-Sunday 15 March: Four-day First-Class warm-up match v SLC Board President's XI - Colombo, P Sara Oval

Thursday 19 March-Monday 23 March: 1st Test v Sri Lanka - Galle, Galle International Stadium

Friday 27 March-Tuesday 31 March: 2nd Test v Sri Lanka - Colombo, R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium

The schedule for England Men's two-Test tour of Sri Lanka in March 2020 has been confirmed.

The two Test matches will form part of the ICC World Test Championship, and as such will each be worth 60 points.

The first Test will be played at the Galle International Stadium, the second in Colombo at the R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium.

Prior to the Test Series there will be two warm-up fixtures, a three-day full squad participation warm-up match and a four-day First-Class match. Both matches will be against the SLC Board President’s XI.

Joe Root's side currently sit fifth in the ICC World Test Championship table, on 56 points, after drawing the Specsavers Ashes series 2-2 this summer.

England tour of Sri Lanka 2020

Saturday 7 March-Monday 9 March: Three-day warm-up v SLC Board President's XI - Katunayake, CMCG

Thursday 12 March-Sunday 15 March: Four-day First-Class warm-up match v SLC Board President's XI - Colombo, P Sara Oval

Thursday 19 March-Monday 23 March: 1st Test v Sri Lanka - Galle, Galle International Stadium

Friday 27 March-Tuesday 31 March: 2nd Test v Sri Lanka - Colombo, R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium

Advantage to Sr Lanka. England have really been struggling in Test cricket at home and away. Big opportunity for Sri Lanka to take advantage of that, also a chance for England to turn their luck around.

At this stage England aren't going to well in the test championship at all.

Right now India are clear leaders. The other finalist I reckon is going to be New Zealand or maybe even Austalia.

The other test playing nations have fallen way behind.

Exactly, first need to see their performance against top teams like india, australia and england. Not to take any credits away from this young sri lankan side but Pakistan were utterly pathetic this series thanks to misbahs old age defensive mindset being enforced upon our team.

watching the performance by sri lankan side against aussies currently, it seems like in our series, it was more of pakistan team absolutely pathetic rather than sri lankans playing amazingly well. I fear for what kind of psychological effect our t20 series against Aussies will have on Babar Azam.

Kasun Rajitha against Pakistan: 4-0-17-1 Wanidu Hasaranga against Pakistan: 4-0-21-3
Kasun Rajitha against Australia: 4-0-75-0 Wanidu Hasaranga against Australia: 3-0-42-0

Just lost t20 match by 134 runs to aussies, I guess that put the rise of sri lanka debate to rest, for now.

Told ya'll shouldn't hype them too much based on their wins against Pak.

Please tell me why this guy is not in the team ?

Also why is Avishka Fernando dropped ? His century vs West Indies was top notch. These guys should be playing Test cricket and gain experience. How long is Sri lanka going to persist with Dickwella and other guys who are very inconsistent ? no wonder SL is going down hill.

Sri Lanka chief selector lashes out at players after Test series defeat in Pakistan

Ashantha de Mel, Sri Lanka’s team manager and chief selector, has chastised Niroshan Dickwella, Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandimal for their performances in the second Test in Karachi, which Sri Lanka lost by 263 runs this week to concede the two-match ICC World Test Championship series 1-0 to the hosts.

There was also scrutiny of the batting techniques of Kusal Mendis and Mathews by de Mel, who said both players had technical flaws.

“When you bowl a side out for 191 you can’t get 270, you must put up something like 450 plus on the board,” de Mel lamented in an interview with Sri Lanka’s Daily News.

“We could have easily batted that one and a half days. I didn’t see anything wrong with the pitch. For the time they had on their hands I actually thought we could chase the target of 476.”

Sri Lanka’s chief selector was incensed by Dickwella’s shot selection at a crucial period in the Karachi Test.

“Look at the way (Niroshan) Dickwella got out,” he said. “I told him you have 35 Test matches under your belt and you have never scored a hundred.

“He goes and plays a reverse sweep after scoring 65. At least make a fight and take the match till the end. If he scored a double hundred on that day we might have had a chance to win. How many shots he was playing?

“When did Angelo score his last hundred? In New Zealand in December 2018. When did Chandimal score his last hundred, in West Indies in June 2018. He (Chandimal) batted well in the first innings, but scoring 74 in these kind of games is not going to serve the purpose, unless you bat and put runs on the board you can’t defend. We don’t have a world beating bowling side.

“A person like Dhananjaya (de Silva) scored a hundred. He gives a catch to the previous ball and next ball he plays a loose shot and gets out […] It’s the mindset, it’s all wrong. They’ve got to know how to build an innings and have patience. Test cricket has a lot of aspects not only your talent, how to apply yourself. See how the Pakistani batsmen batted. During difficult times they hung in and they ran well and rotated the strike.”

Sri Lanka’s new batting coach Grant Flower, de Mel said, will be working alongside the recently-signed head coach Mickey Arthur to mend technical issues Sri Lankan top order batsmen have displayed.

“What the coach wants is excellence,” de Mel said. “You can’t have these performance of scoring in one game and going on that laurel for the rest of the series.

“They are comfortable just cruising along with mediocre performances and the coach has emphasized that very strongly. They have to be told if you are mediocre you will not play. That kind of message must go through.”
https://www.islandcricket.lk/news/f...-lashes-out-test-series-defeat-2019-pakistan/

Not showing the same intensity that they showed in T20s against Pakistan. Looks like the old Sri Lanka again.

I think that was Pakistan who made SL look good. SL played like a proper minnow, poor shot selection, poor strike rotation, poor line and length. The SL batsmen couldn't even sustain vs Shardul and Sundar. This team is a legit minnow team. I doubt SL will beat Afghanistan in a 3 match T20 or 3 match ODI series.

I see a few people here are dismissing Sri Lankan cricket team as a very bad team. Sure, they have lost to Australia and India recently. But they have also won against Pakistan not too long ago. The team has some promising aggressive batsmen, two high quality wrist spinners in Hasaranga, and Sandakan. And a couple of very good all rounders in Mathews and Dhananjaya. It is a good fielding team as well. These are ingredients to reemerge as a premier limited overs team. I expect them to do well in the upcoming years. If their batsmen don't get settled before 2020 T20 World Cup, by the 2021 T20 World Cup, they will a big force especially in the subcontinent.

I don't believe Malinga can do any more wonders. I would rather choose a youngster for the captaincy or even Angelo Mathews till 2021 World Cup.

Sri Lanka still have a lot of work to do- Pakistan made them look better than they actually are.

As I said earlier, never judge a team for beating Pakistan. Performances against Pakistan don’t count anymore.

Holy moly. My brain nearly exploded watching this minnow Srilankan team. After all those hypes. Nearly all the players played brainless cricket. I don't see this Sri lankan team beating Afghanistan in a 3 match ODI or T20 series at all. Only Danajaya and Mathews played well. Danajaya is already 28 years old, I thought he was some 20 year old kid lol.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#55357;&#56882;&#55357;&#56882;&#55357;&#56882; We don’t even play enough international cricket or domestic first class cricket in the existing stadiums we have ... Do we need another one? &#55358;&#56614;*♂️ <a href="https://t.co/8CgmgiDyy1">https://t.co/8CgmgiDyy1</a></p>— Mahela Jayawardena (@MahelaJay) <a href="https://twitter.com/MahelaJay/status/1262057471734153219?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Clarification pertaining to the proposed International Cricket Stadium in Homagama

18th May, 2020

Clarification

We wish to issue this clarification pertaining to several media reports published regarding the proposed International Cricket Stadium in Homagama, which may have created misconceptions in the minds of the readers, which are detrimental to the image of both the Government and the SLC. As such, we earnestly request you to publish the following in clarifying the misunderstandings and misapprehension which may have been created therewith.

SLC wishes to state that the renowned R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium in Khettarama has been obtained for a 30-year lease from Sugathadasa Sports Complex Authority of Sri Lanka in 2006 and SLC is proud to say that a substantial amount of Cricket has been played in the stadium annually and it is now designated as the High-Performance Centre for Cricket with a view to raise the game to the next level.

For a considerable period of time, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has been on the watch and was exploring possibilities in acquiring a suitable land closer to Colombo to build a fully-fledged International Cricket stadium with a view to accommodating 40,000 spectators, as the need has arisen with the popularity of the game of Cricket and to best suit the demands of the World Cricket.

In the meantime, the proposal was extended to SLC by the Government of Sri Lanka allocating 26 Acre land in Homagama in order to build an international Cricket stadium at SLC’s cost. In view of the diverse climate and bio conditions in the Country, SLC has invested in International Level Cricket Stadiums around the country, which is aimed at playing in different seasons in consideration of the respective weather conditions.

SLC having discussed the Homagama International Cricket Stadium project, called for an Expression of Interests from reputed Audit Firms in Sri Lanka to carry out a feasibility study on the finances associated with the project along with repayments of the capital expenditure to be staggered for a period of 15 years.

In view of the increasing demand for the game and especially due to the popularity of the short formats of the game, the need has arisen to cater to large crowds with easy access in an urban environment. It should also be noted that ICC has now afforded the opportunity for member countries to express the Interest in staging the World Cup series in the respective countries for which it is expected to have at least five international level cricket stadiums in the country with a seating capacity of around 25,000 – 40,000.

It is undoubted that Cricketing events of such magnitude will bring massive foreign currency inflow to the Country which is an essential fact in today’s economy standpoint. Further, it is important to note that Sri Lanka Cricket has also expressed interest in the ICC’s request to host two ICC World Cup events which are scheduled to be held in the year 2023 to 2031.

Taking all aspects into consideration and after evaluating the completion of a comprehensive study on the project’s operational aspect and its financial feasibility, the Executive Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket will decide on how to proceed with investing in this project as the sole investor.

It also should be noted that financial feasibility should assure the non-hindrance to the operational and other development projects which are currently engaged by SLC due to the commencement of the Homagama International Cricket Stadium project.

As such, this project will be an absolute and private investment of Sri Lanka Cricket and no government funds will be utilized and/or will be sought at any stage of the construction.

Ends
Sri Lanka Cricket

18th May, 2020

http://cricket.lk/2020/05/clarifica...ed-international-cricket-stadium-in-homagama/

Sri Lanka's prime minister Thursday scrapped plans for a $40 million cricket stadium after local legends of the game warned it would end up a white elephant.

Former captains Sanath Jayasuriya and Mahela Jayawardene slammed the proposed grounds near the capital Colombo, saying the money would be better spent supporting young players.

"It was decided at a meeting with former top players today that instead of the proposed Homagama stadium it was better to spend money on building school cricket," the PM Mahinda Rajapaksa's office said in a statement.

Information and Higher Education minister Bandula Gunawardana had proposed the controversial stadium, which was to be built in his local constituency.

The governing body Sri Lanka Cricket had backed his plan and there was speculation it could fund the project using international loans.

During strongman Rajapaksa's decade as president between 2005 and 2010, he built a 35,000-capacity international cricket stadium in his home constituency of Hambantota.

But the arena in the south of the island nation has become a white elephant, with no Test matches played on the grounds.

The stadium, named after him, hosted a one-day international between Sri Lanka and West Indies in February after Rajapaksa became prime minister in November under his president brother Gotabaya

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/s...ket-stadium-on-advice-of-top-players-20200521

I don't think they are rising. They have been quite inconsistent.

They have some promising players but they still have a long way to go.

Shehan Madushanka, the Sri Lanka fast bowler who made headlines by grabbing a hat-trick on international debut, has been detained by Sri Lanka Police on a charge of possession of heroin.

As per the officials, approximately 2.5 grams of heroin was found with Madushanka when he was stopped by the police for driving around the town of Pannala with another person on Sunday, at a time when a nationwide curfew has been imposed. He will be kept in custody for a period of two weeks, sentenced by a magistrate.

The rookie fast bowler was selected in Sri Lanka’s squad for the tri-series featuring Bangladesh and Pakistan due to his promising pace. In fact, prior to his ODI debut against Bangladesh, Madushanka had played just three First-Class and three List-A games.

His international debut was during the final of the tri-series where Madushanka dismissed Mashrafe Mortaza, Rubel Hossain and allrounder Mahmudullah off three successive balls to close out the tournament.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...n-of-heroin/story-sLJkJqy1J439JUGkj8QRxJ.html

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is planning to suspend the contract of medium-pacer Shehan Madushanka after he was arrested for possessing heroin. SLC CEO Ashley de Silva said, "We have not been officially informed on this yet. He is a contracted player. We will take action to suspend his contract if he carries a drug charge." Madushanka's arrest was the first time a contracted player was remanded over a drug charge. The cricketer and his friend were arrested on May 23 for possessing heroin. The magistrate at Kuliyapitiya in the north-western province ordered him to be remanded till June 2.

The 25-year-old broke into the international scene in early 2018 with an ODI hat-trick on debut against Bangladesh, making the fourth player in one-day history to achieve the feat.

His international appearances have been limited to his debut ODI and two T20 internationals, also against Bangladesh.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/sri...shankas-contract-2235234?pfrom=home-sshowcase

COLOMBO, May 26 (Reuters) - Sri Lanka fast bowler Shehan Madushanka has been suspended from all forms of cricket with immediate effect after he was arrested for alleged possession of illegal drugs, the country’s cricket board said on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old took a hat-trick in his first one-day international against Bangladesh in January, 2018, in Dhaka and played two more Twenty20 internationals on that tour before being sidelined with injuries.

He was caught with 2.7 grams of heroin by police on Saturday and then remanded in custody till June 2, Sri Lanka police said.

“The decision to suspend will remain intact until a full inquiry is conducted by the SLC into the matter,” Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement.

https://in.reuters.com/article/cric...fast-bowler-after-heroin-arrest-idINL8N2D838M

they have failed to replace every single world class player they had. the future does not look bright at all for sri lanka atm.

the fact that the last international quality all format seamer they had was vaas says everything (malinga dont count since he retired after 30 odd tests), looks unlikely they will replace him, let alone murali, sanath, dilshan, herath, sanga, mahela, samaraweera. the only test quality players they have, matthews and karunaratne are the wrong side of 30 too now.

Sri Lanka Cricket wishes to announce that none of the current national players are under investigation by the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit and neither the ICC has informed SLC of such an investigation carried out against any of the current players, as reported by several media institutions.

The particular story has been published based on a statement made by the Minister of Education, Sports and Youth Affairs Honorable Dullas Alahapperuma, during an event held yesterday (02nd June), where Sri Lanka Cricket granted a one-time payment for School Cricket Coaches, who were financially affected by the Covid – 19.

SLC strongly believes that, what the Honorable Minister actually mentioned was about an investigation launched by the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit against 03 former Sri Lanka players and not the current national players.

http://cricket.lk/2020/06/none-of-t...zuxKxxMfEqkCGdHcKyp1-49_5hcdhyHF17DesRJZO1Uyz

Sri Lanka’s Twenty20 captain Lasith Malinga will not be part of the team’s second residential training camp, starting June 22 in Kandy, as a 24-member squad was announced on Thursday.

A six-member unit of coaches and other support staff will work with the players at the Pallekele stadium.

“The arrangements for the next camp are aimed at becoming the best prepared international team post COVID—19 and to be ready to play at any given time,” said Mickey Arthur, the head coach of the team.

The squad members will continue to follow the health procedures, followed during the first camp, conducted earlier this month in Colombo.

Sri Lanka’s next scheduled international engagement, the tour by India later this month, has been canceled while the Bangladesh tour scheduled for late July is still doubtful.

The squad for camp

Dimuth Karunaratne, Dinesh Chandimal, Lahiru Thirimanne, Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Danushka Gunatilaka, Kusal Janith Perera, Dilruwan Perera, Suranga Lakmal, Dhananjaya De Silva, Niroshan Dickwella, Dasun Shanaka, Vishwa Fernando, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Nuwan Pradeep, Isuru Udana, Wanindu Hasaranaga, Lakshan Sandakan, Lasith Embuldeniya, Oshada Fernando, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Mendis and Bhanuka Rajapaksa.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...mickey-arthur-sports-news/article31860658.ece

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) wishes to announce that none of the contracted players of the SLC have sought permission to take part in a contest ‘PDC T10 League’ nor Sri Lanka Cricket has endorsed a tournament called ‘PDC T10 League’

COLOMBO (Reuters) - Domestic cricket in Sri Lanka will resume on Tuesday without spectators, the country’s cricket board said on Wednesday.

Lockdown and curfews have ceased in Sri Lanka, where the total number of infections was reported to be 2,084 on Wednesday.

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) organised two residential training camps for the national team squad last month and action would resume next week with an inter-Club Twenty20 cricket tournament, which was halted by the pandemic in mid-March.

SLC chief executive Ashley de Silva said the tournament would adhere to health ministry instructions on the safety of the players and officials.

“The SLC has taken steps to commence these activities under the guidance of the sports and health ministries as the country is gradually recovering from the coronavirus,” de Silva said.

England, India and Bangladesh have postponed their tours of Sri Lanka because of the pandemic.

The SLC has offered to stage this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL), which has been jeopardised by the pandemic which has claimed more than 20,000 lives in India, the third most affected country.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-h...cket-minus-spectators-next-week-idUKKBN24925U

When will Sri Lanka become no.1 ranked team in test cricket?

With NZL now becoming the no.1 ranked team in test cricket, Sri Lanka is now the only major team who haven't been ranked no.1 in test cricket ever in their history. So the question is when will Sri Lanka become no.1 ranked test side? Will they ever become one or is it just beyond them ?

If they get another quality spinner, the likes of Kusal Mendis and Chandimal become more consistent and they stop playing India at home, they can become number 1.

Basically the Pakistan model of 2014-2016. They found Yasir, Younis and Misbah were very consistent and they didn’t play India in UAE.

That day will not come , Lanka do not have the quality to excel to that extent in Test Cricket

Reaching #1 rank isn't the ultimate achievement. Retaining it for at least an year or two is.

Same goes for batsmen, bowlers who reach #1 rank for short spans.

On topic, I hope that Sri Lanka becomes no.1 in test cricket soon, they are a great cricketing nation with rich history. Will be great for test cricket if they become no.1. And I think if NZ can become no.1 with their limited resources SRL surely can.

That day will not come , Lanka do not have the quality to excel to that extent in Test Cricket

I disagree, if NZ can manage to become no.1 with their limited resources, SRL surely can do the same. They should take inspiration from NZ's rise.

Do you think that Lanka can become no.1 in test cricket ?

No.

They are competing however with Pakistan, Bangladesh and West Indies for the coveted #6 rank amongst Tier 3 teams

No.

They are competing however with Pakistan, Bangladesh and West Indies for the coveted #6 rank amongst Tier 3 teams

Well Bangladesh shouldn't be considered, they are a distant 10th ranked even below Afghanistan. Between, Pak, SL and WI, its close though.

In 2018, they were 13-3 and still drew a game in NZ .

Still doesn't make them better than Sri Lanka overall.

Bangladesh even lose to Afghanistan and Zimbabwe at home.

Still doesn't make them better than Sri Lanka overall.

Bangladesh even lose to Afghanistan and Zimbabwe at home.

Sri Lanka are the ones who did that. That should have been on your list.

National player Shehan Jayasuriya, who represented Sri Lanka in both ODIs and T20i formats have informed SLC, that he will no longer be available for the selection of domestic or international cricket tournaments with immediate effect.

Jayasuriya has taken this decision, as he has decided to relocate to United States of America with his family to settle in that country.

Whilst announcing his decision, Shehan thanked Sri Lanka Cricket for the opportunities provided to him, during his time as a national player.

SLC whilst thanking Jayasuriya for the services he has rendered to Sri Lanka Cricket as a player, take this opportunity to wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

SLC wishes to announce the appointment of Grant Luden as the Physical
Performance Manager of Sri Lanka Cricket, with effect from 11th January 2021.

Luden, a specialist in the area of strength and conditioning, will focus on developing
the Elite Players of Sri Lanka and will be in charge of the overall Strength and
Conditioning program of the SLC.

Before joining Sri Lanka Cricket, he has worked as a strength and conditioning and
fielding coach at the Pakistan Cricket Board, spanning from the year 2014 to 2019,
whilst, Luden has also worked as a strength and conditioning Coach at the
Bangladesh Cricket Board, spanning from 2008 to 2013.

Luden has also held stints with the South African First-Class System, working for
Nashua Titans, and also as the Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Dhaka
Gladiators of Bangladesh.

A Degree holder in Sports and Exercise Technology, he has obtained his Level 3
Cricket Coaching certificate from Cricket South Africa.

“We welcome Luden into our system and confident that he can add the extra
dimension needed to enhance the strength and conditioning aspects of the National
and the emerging Players of Sri Lanka,’’ said Mr. Ashley De Silva, CEO of Sri Lanka
Cricket.
Luden will be based at the High-Performance Center of the SLC.

The Chairman of the Sri Lanka Cricket Selection Committee Mr. Ashantha De Mel resigned from the Selection Committee with immediate effect, citing personal reasons.

'We respect Ashantha’s decision and thank him for the services he rendered to Sri Lanka Cricket during his tenure as the Chairman of the Cricket Selection Committee’’ said Mr. Ashley De Silva, CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket.

The whole Pakistani coaching staff of 2016-19 minus Azhar Mahmood is now SL's staff. Ominous signs for SL.

Mickey Arthur, Steve Rixon, Grant Flower, Grant Luden.
Flower and Luden are hapless and Mickey's stiff ideology can never work in Asian conditions.

Better change the coaching staff.

The only good think they'll get out of this is they might develop 2 or 3 youngsters. That's only what Mickey is good at.

Back