There's a clear problem in how people from ethnic minorities are treated at some stadiums in England

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Saj Sadiq describes his recent uncomfortable experiences as an accredited journalist during the recently concluded England versus Pakistan series

b02bf2d1-4389-4d6b-b8af-72d9e78cdd77.jpg

My earliest memory of international cricket goes back to July 1987 at Leeds and being in absolute awe of Imran Khan running in from the Kirkstall Lane end at Headingley and destroying the England batting line-up. His run-up, the jump just before he delivered the ball, his bowling action, charisma, his aggression, the way he led his team, it was a sight to behold from close quarters and I was hooked. Pakistan thanks to Imran, was definitely my team for the future.

Back then as a teenager, if somebody had said to me that one day, I would get the opportunity to interview Imran Khan and many other legends of Pakistan and international cricket, I would have said that they were talking absolute nonsense.

My love for the game, especially Pakistan cricket developed through the late 1980s and 90s. One thing I did realise even back then was that following Pakistan cricket was not for the faint-hearted. The highs were unparalleled, the lows were devastating, controversies plenty and there were rarely any quiet days.

In 1999 I stumbled across a website called PakPassion where a handful of people were discussing the crazy world of Pakistan cricket. I joined the site and to my amazement a few weeks later I was contacted by the owners asking to take over the running of the site as they no longer had the time to oversee the site administration. They informed me that if I didn’t take over then that would be the end of the website, which saddened me as I thought the website had potential. I said that I would try it for a couple of weeks and see how things went – well 22 years later I am still there as the site owner, although PakPassion of today is a different beast and a much better-known website and forum than it was back in 1999. To quote my wife “you spend more time working on that damn website, than you do with me.” She’s probably right, it’s a labour of love.

My first experience of press accreditation came in 2009 with the ICC World Twenty20 tournament in England. What an introduction, what a tournament, what an experience, oh what memories. I attended nearly all of Pakistan’s matches in that tournament culminating in a memorable final at Lord’s. I had to pinch myself when I was at the packed post-match press conference asking a Pakistan-flag draped Younis Khan a question. It will always be a moment to savour and appreciate.

The ICC and the ECB have always been good to me and I have never had any problems in receiving accreditation, because I have never messed them around and always attended the matches that I have said that I will. They don’t ask for much, other than adhering to their rules and guidelines, being professional and I have always done that.

Every year since 2009, I have applied for and been granted accreditation by ECB or ICC, sometimes both depending on the scheduled fixtures. The 2017 Champions Trophy tournament is a competition that will always be close to the heart for obvious reasons. Attending the post-final press conferences at The Oval after the final will always be cherished memories. The 2019 World Cup tournament was also an interesting competition for many reasons. Pakistan’s tours of England are of course always fascinating and enjoyable to cover for so many different reasons.

Over the years I have been lucky enough to write for some great platforms such as Sky Sports Cricket, Wisden, The Cricketer, The Cricket Paper, INews and more. I have also had the honour and privilege to appear on Radio and Television, including TMS, BBC World Service, TalkSport, Sky Sports and others. I’ve made some great friends in the media and sitting alongside and chatting with some of the world’s leading cricket journalists has been a real pleasure.

There has been the occasional incident since 2009 at various grounds where I have come across an individual or two who has been a bit difficult to deal with and rather rude. But I have always put that down to job pressures, or perhaps them being new to their respective role. However, this year where I attended 4 matches between England and Pakistan was on a different level altogether and I felt I needed to speak up about my experiences.

Things didn’t get off to a great start at the first match I attended. My parking was supposed to have been organised but upon arrival I was hastily told that I wasn’t allowed in the car park as I didn’t have a pass. I informed the attendant that I had an email which confirmed my parking approval, which he simply would not accept. I showed him the email several times, but it may as well have been written in some obscure language. After going around in circles with him I asked him to phone the ECB contact to check, which for some unknown reason he was reluctant to do. I was then asked to pull my car over to the side and told that I would have to turn around and park elsewhere as it was not their problem. Frustrating, unnecessary, you bet! Anyway, to my amazement I heard another parking attendant say to his colleague, let him in, he has the email which shows he has approval, we’ve done that for others. Finally, some belated consistency and much-needed common sense and I was let in, but not before some glares, checking, re-checking of my press pass and head-shaking from the parking staff. It was almost as if this brown man with his press pass was breaking their parking rules.

Match 2 that I attended was even worse. I approached the media car park only to be told from a distance that I couldn’t park there and that I needed to quickly turn my car around. I approached the car park staff member and told him that I had received confirmation via email that I was allowed to park in this car park. The attendant said that can’t be right as I wasn't in the media. How he could tell I wasn’t media from such a distance was beyond me. I moved my car closer to him and showed him the email from ECB regarding my parking and then also showed him my press pass. His immediate response was “your press pass looks fake and I could easily make such a press pass at home.” At first, I laughed as I thought the gentleman was just joking, but the look on his face suggested otherwise. I was absolutely gobsmacked with his attitude and his tone. He then took a long and hard look at my press, presumably in the hope that he could spot a flaw in it. I showed him the email from ECB again which he scrutinised and even then, he wasn’t convinced. Eventually he reluctantly said he would let me in this time, but that I needed to be more careful next time. More careful of what, I am not sure of. I guess this was a case of the brown man with his ‘fake’ pass parking where he shouldn’t be.

I walked to the ground with my head still a bit frazzled after the earlier events and thought maybe the parking attendant was just having a bad day. But then another incident took place after taking my seat in the press box. One of the members of staff from the County was sitting in the press box and I noticed he was looking regularly in my direction. Initially I thought maybe he wanted to discuss something but he remained silent. I got up a few times ahead of play to walk out of the press box and I noticed he was really scrutinising the press pass that I was wearing around my neck. By the third time I purposely slowed right down as I walked past him and raised my press pass in his direction to show that it was genuine and that I had every right to be sat in the press box. He seemed a bit embarrassed that I had to do this, but at least this had the desired effect of the funny looks and curious stares stopping. I suppose this was a case of why is this brown man sat in our press box.

So, we come to my third England versus Pakistan match this summer. By this time, I was getting used to some of the strange looks and incidents, but hoped that there wouldn’t be any more and that things would run a lot smoother. Well, this time there were no issues with the parking, but when I came to enter the stadium, I was asked to show that I had a negative Covid-19 test within the last 24 hours. I produced my phone and showed the member of staff a text confirming this. To my surprise the member of staff said this was not acceptable and I needed to show another proof of a negative test or I will not be allowed entry to the ground. I then showed the staff member an email confirming the negative test. Once again, the member of staff stated this wasn’t acceptable. I explained that at every other ground I had shown either the text or the email which clearly stated who I was, when the test was taken and whether it was negative or not, and this was acceptable. He wasn’t having any of it and at one point took my phone off me. It was a stalemate and I suggested he call his supervisor to intervene, because I had the necessary evidence to show my negative Covid-19 test and didn’t really know what else I could do to prove this to him. He asked me to step aside and not dare to enter the ground, but then for some unknown reason he had a change of heart, probably because he didn’t want to look like a buffoon in front of his supervisor. He offered no apology for his rude tone or delaying me. Anyway, I started to enter the ground and whilst my bag was being checked I noticed right behind me others showing exactly the same text message and emails that I had shown as proof of a negative test, being allowed into the ground by the same member of staff, with the words “please come through sir, please go through madam.” I guess this was the case of the brown man with his dodgy Covid-19 result.

But things didn’t end there during the third match. I approached the media entry area and noticed members of staff sat outside with a list of names. I gave them my details and the response was the now all too familiar “you are not on the list, so you cannot enter the media area.” Deep breath and once again get the phone out to show that I am accredited media and entitled to enter the media centre. After several minutes of discussions, going around in circles, explaining the same things again and again and again, I was reluctantly allowed to enter the media centre, but not before the words, “can you be more careful next time with this” were said in a rather patronising tone in my direction. I’m not quite sure what I needed to be more careful of if I’m being honest. I guess this was the case of the brown man with his dodgy accreditation not being careful enough.

And so we thankfully came to the final match between England and Pakistan this summer. By now I approached the car park and media area with trepidation given the events of the previous days. Nothing would have surprised me any more and to be honest it was getting rather frustrating, tiresome and predictable. Once again it was the expected strange looks and the “you are not on the list, are you really media” comments which you sort of get used to and have to bite your lip at. For the umpteenth time, I pointed in the direction of my pass on display around my neck, my phone came out, evidence was produced to show my accreditation, evidence to show that I had a parking spot at the ground. This was followed by the usual checks, strange looks, more checks, discussions amongst colleagues, a few whispers in my direction and then the reluctant, you can go through. I guess this was the case of the brown man not on the list, but we have to let him in.

As if things couldn’t get any worse at this particular venue, I was walking around the ground in the stands taking pictures and videos well before the start of play as I always do. At one point I was approached by a steward who said I couldn’t stand where I was. I was standing out of the way, not blocking anyone’s view, not posing any sort of safety risk to anyone so I was a little confused why he was suggesting what he was. I politely asked him why I needed to move, his response, because you don’t belong in this stand. I pointed to my media accreditation and explained to the steward that the pass allowed me to be where I was at that time, which I thought had resolved the misunderstanding on his part. Anyway, a few minutes later the steward returned with a burly and rather intimidating member of security staff by his side. I heard the words, “he is claiming to be media, but I don’t believe him.” The security staff member approached me and even before asking to see my accreditation, said “you are claiming to be media, but you need to move from there, as you are not media.” I responded by stating what I had earlier to his colleague, that my press pass allowed me to be where I was at that time. The member of security staff then started to glare at my pass and at me as if he wanted some sort of reaction. I calmly carried on taking my pictures and videos before leaving the area. I guess this was the case of the brown man being told off for standing in an area of the ground that he was allowed to be in.

I’m not saying that every journalist of colour necessarily goes through the same issues I have this year and I’m not saying that every incident or issue was definitely due to the colour of my skin. But 4 matches on the bounce with some pretty unnecessary, distasteful and derogatory comments is not just coincidental and something had to be said about it. In the past I may have let this go, but given that there is so much talk and several initiatives about encouraging people from ethnic minorities to participate in all aspects of cricket, I feel that the message is a hypocritical one. There is a clear problem in how people from ethnic minorities particularly in areas of cricket where they are underrepresented are treated at some stadiums and it needs addressing.

Do those who are running cricket in England and the people in charge of these stadiums genuinely want more people from ethnic minorities to get involved in the sport? Do they condone such behaviour again and again from their employees or contractors? Will something be done about it, or will such behaviour just be brushed under the carpet and allowed to continue as if nothing ever happened?

Last edited:
I think you have an experience 4-5 times across different grounds and with different members of staff there is a clear and obvious issue.

The ECB are doing a tremendous job with ethnic minority representation infront of the camera but it seems a lot has to be done behind the scenes still.

Maybe you could write to the ECB with your experience so they are aware of the issues you have been having? Even this article on your experience may be sent.

Your whole experience remind me of Sunil Gavaskar who had at least one similar experience in getting into a ground when he visited England as a player many years ago.

Last edited:
Went to trent bridge and the stewards have a power trip.

My friend had all the necessary Covid clearance and showed it to the steward for him to put the wrist band on him. But the Steward just shook his head. So my friend said very clearly. " Instead of shaking your head at me can you please let me know what I need to do or am missing, shaking your head at me isn't helping anyone" to which another steward came and said what you have is fine and put the wrist band on him. Figure that one out!

At the end of the game we went to quickly pray Maghrib before Isha entry time. We lost a couple of people we went with and because of stadium signal couldn't get through on the phone.
Anyway I didn't leave the vicinity of Trent bridge and popped my head out the entrance to see if any of them were there. When I turned round I had a steward square up to me and say where do you think your going.
urrrmmm i am going to watch the game mate! you know the one that has just finished and I have decided to sneak in now of all times. Bearing in mind I never actually left the stadium.
Anyway I politely told the steward to get out of my face :) . So I just stood on the border of the entrance to the ground and said I am not in the ground and managed to spot my mate and shout him.

Its a High Viz jacket thing - they have some sort of power trip.

What has happened this year? You have been going to grounds all these years and it was never so blatant.

Clearly a situation where staff are untrained in basic etiquettes and have to say it, as Saj put it, not able to swallow the fact that someone from an ethnic minority is doing better than them in that sense.

It all comes down to the mindset of the average person. England is known for encouraging separation, even their public schooling system is vicious in that regard from what I have seen and heard.

Heck, just look at the abuse that Rashford, Sancho, and Saka copped on the internet, and in-person from these English supporters.

It's sad to see [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] get this type of disrespect in a nation where most of the team is not even English.

Minorities living in England are going to be under scrutiny more times than others.

Hopefully, the ECB looks into this atrocious behavior.

this is just an unfortunate part of the western world, reminds me of a story from usman khawaja when he went to one of the aussie grounds to play against pak, he asked for entrance to the changing room and the security went and opened the pakistan room and told him to go in, they thought he was having them on when he said he was an aussie.

This is horrendous Saj. I was literally fuming when reading your piece.

I probably would have done the complete opposite. I would remain calm but insist on speaking with a superior and making my point clear to them. I would also take it to the highest level.

Unless we, POC, actually stand up for what is right those that discriminate will never stop.

Stewards are generally just low level employees who don't have much training I expect. When they're not working they are probably reading the Daily Mail. Unfortunately we are still dealing with the consequences of dog whistle news channels today, we have empty shelves because of shortage of lorry drivers thanks to Brexit, and a service industry on it's knees.

Clearly a situation where staff are untrained in basic etiquettes and have to say it, as Saj put it, not able to swallow the fact that someone from an ethnic minority is doing better than them in that sense.

Was this published in one of the papers? Hope it gets picked up and discussed.

Really sad to read through your experiences Saj. Definitely needs to be flagged up with the ECB and relevant authorities. You should also hopefully have noted the names of all those stewards and personnel involved as they obviously need retraining or to be moved to alternative employment.

Was this published in one of the papers? Hope it gets picked up and discussed.

It's on the social media and am sure the relevant people are reading it. Whether they choose to anything about it is more of a reflection on them than anyone else!

I felt horrendous reading this account. It's no shock though given how race baiting has become commonplace in certain circles over the past five years. That genie is not going back in the bottle.

The only thing one can do is keep shouting it from the rooftops and keep creating a fuss about it. Eventually it'll translate into some form of token action from the authorities.

England has had a few incidents with poor stewards etc and one most infamous incident is the
Lords Test 1990 England v India involving Indian Legend Sunil Gavaskar.

Gavaskar had been denied entry to Lord's. The stewards (not among the politest) did not allow him through Grace Gates. Gavaskar surrendered his MCC membership as a result. Sunil made a big fuss rightly and it took the late Sir Colin Cowdrey (I don't know after how many years) to get Sunil to take up the MCC membership again.

Another incident in Australia where Usman Khawaja was trying to get into the players area (obviously a player) but was shown the door to the Pakistan dressing room. The official / steward could not believe he was Aussie.

I am absolutely shocked by the events you experienced on four different occasions.

No one should face such humiliation and discrimination. I am usually very cautious of seeing everything from a lens of racism but these events seem to have happened too frequently to be considered as mere coincidence.

Could one explanation for their skepticism be that you weren't part of "well-known" media groups like BBC, Sky sports etc.?

I am absolutely shocked by the events you experienced on four different occasions.

No one should face such humiliation and discrimination. I am usually very cautious of seeing everything from a lens of racism but these events seem to have happened too frequently to be considered as mere coincidence.

Could one explanation for their skepticism be that you weren't part of "well-known" media groups like BBC, Sky sports etc.?

As in not part of the cabal of known non POC faces?

This is exactly what Saj is pointing out. How can people not from the "select" group ever be part of this with this sort of behaviour.

It's always the less educated with overt racism, the more educated ones are either enlightened or masked. I'm sorry that you had to go through this @Saj. No ones deserves it! I'm sure many of us can relate to your experience and are angered by it.

Sorry to say this Saj bhai but this is nothing compared to the lower league footie grounds across England.

Me along with many afro-car lads were tormented to some of worst abuse you could think of like getting peed on whilst walking through the tunnel, banana skin thrown at us, monkey chants just to name a few.

It’s sad to hear your experience but when you have a buffoon of a MP who calls every muslim women who wears a nikab a letter box what do you expect.

Was there something different this year as Pakistan have been come 7 or 8 times since you have had accreditation in 2009?
Maybe use of more untrained staff due to covid perhaps, and genuinely more stressed out staff ( not making an excuse just thinking why this year may have been different) @saj

If there was systematic racism Saj should have had experienced this before as a journalist. Are you sure this wasnt due to some enhanced covid related protocol?

They have all the respect and mannerism for the people of their own colour, but when it comes to BAME, they need conscious, repetitive and persistent drilling in their mind, lessons of respect, humanity, humility for all human being regardless of their colour, gender and creed.

Maybe you could write to the ECB with your experience so they are aware of the issues you have been having? Even this article on your experience may be sent.

Your whole experience remind me of Sunil Gavaskar who had at least one similar experience in getting into a ground when he visited England as a player many years ago.

I sent the article to the ECB. This is their response. I am more than happy to provide them with more details........if they really want them.

Dear Mr Sadiq,

Many thanks for your email.

I’m really sorry that you have experienced this inside of cricket. Your uncomfortableness is absolutely clear and it must have felt quite incessant this year.

You haven’t yet given any specific details, but it would be good to understand if you would like us to explore or investigate this matter further?

We have recently begun the rollout of a new EDI strategy, with education at the heart of it. It may sound like a trite response to your experience, but we do believe that a focus on education, across the game, will start to see more positive experience for any person of colour (or indeed any other protected characteristics). I do not underestimated how much work remains, but we are conscious of the experiences that have been shared with us over the last 12-18 months and we know we have a long way to go as a game still.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Went to trent bridge and the stewards have a power trip.

My friend had all the necessary Covid clearance and showed it to the steward for him to put the wrist band on him. But the Steward just shook his head. So my friend said very clearly. " Instead of shaking your head at me can you please let me know what I need to do or am missing, shaking your head at me isn't helping anyone" to which another steward came and said what you have is fine and put the wrist band on him. Figure that one out!

At the end of the game we went to quickly pray Maghrib before Isha entry time. We lost a couple of people we went with and because of stadium signal couldn't get through on the phone.
Anyway I didn't leave the vicinity of Trent bridge and popped my head out the entrance to see if any of them were there. When I turned round I had a steward square up to me and say where do you think your going.
urrrmmm i am going to watch the game mate! you know the one that has just finished and I have decided to sneak in now of all times. Bearing in mind I never actually left the stadium.
Anyway I politely told the steward to get out of my face :) . So I just stood on the border of the entrance to the ground and said I am not in the ground and managed to spot my mate and shout him.

Its a High Viz jacket thing - they have some sort of power trip.

My symapthies with you and I'm not surprised at all.

If people stay quiet, don't mention this, then it will continue to happen to certain sections of the public.

This is horrendous Saj. I was literally fuming when reading your piece.

I probably would have done the complete opposite. I would remain calm but insist on speaking with a superior and making my point clear to them. I would also take it to the highest level.

Unless we, POC, actually stand up for what is right those that discriminate will never stop.

As soon as you ask for a supervisor or manager, the standard response is, they are busy or not available. They want you to just turn around and accept everything they are saying and go away.

Really sad to read through your experiences Saj. Definitely needs to be flagged up with the ECB and relevant authorities. You should also hopefully have noted the names of all those stewards and personnel involved as they obviously need retraining or to be moved to alternative employment.

A lot of them, in fact most, don't have name badges or any ID and that's part of the reason why they behave as they do. Because they know they can and that there is no accountability for their actions.

Over the years there have been the occasional incident here and there which you sort of bite your lip at and move on. But this time it was every ground and something had to be said and done about it.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I wasn't working for BBC or Sky, but I'm not sure that would have made any difference as the fake press pass incident confirms, where the car par steward basically saw me and immediately thought 'brown man, not allowed into the car park'

If there was systematic racism Saj should have had experienced this before as a journalist. Are you sure this wasnt due to some enhanced covid related protocol?

I have experienced it before, but not as bad as this time.

Nothing at all to do with covid - apart from the incident which I have written about, wherein the steward wouldn't let me in even though I had the negative test confirmation on both email and by text.

They have all the respect and mannerism for the people of their own colour, but when it comes to BAME, they need conscious, repetitive and persistent drilling in their mind, lessons of respect, humanity, humility for all human being regardless of their colour, gender and creed.

As this clearly confirms:

Well, this time there were no issues with the parking, but when I came to enter the stadium, I was asked to show that I had a negative Covid-19 test within the last 24 hours. I produced my phone and showed the member of staff a text confirming this. To my surprise the member of staff said this was not acceptable and I needed to show another proof of a negative test or I will not be allowed entry to the ground. I then showed the staff member an email confirming the negative test. Once again, the member of staff stated this wasn’t acceptable. I explained that at every other ground I had shown either the text or the email which clearly stated who I was, when the test was taken and whether it was negative or not, and this was acceptable. He wasn’t having any of it and at one point took my phone off me. It was a stalemate and I suggested he call his supervisor to intervene, because I had the necessary evidence to show my negative Covid-19 test and didn’t really know what else I could do to prove this to him. He asked me to step aside and not dare to enter the ground, but then for some unknown reason he had a change of heart, probably because he didn’t want to look like a buffoon in front of his supervisor. He offered no apology for his rude tone or delaying me. Anyway, I started to enter the ground and whilst my bag was being checked I noticed right behind me others showing exactly the same text message and emails that I had shown as proof of a negative test, being allowed into the ground by the same member of staff, with the words “please come through sir, please go through madam.” I guess this was the case of the brown man with his dodgy Covid-19 result.

A lot of them, in fact most, don't have name badges or any ID and that's part of the reason why they behave as they do. Because they know they can and that there is no accountability for their actions.

Sounds like the ECB or the various grounds are doing things on the cheap. Hiring nobodies who do not have any sort of guidance or training on how to do their job. Ideally each steward present should have a unique id (if not a name badge) where they can be identified. Until this happens I fear this will be a repeat occurence.

Over the years there have been the occasional incident here and there which you sort of bite your lip at and move on. But this time it was every ground and something had to be said and done about it.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I wasn't working for BBC or Sky, but I'm not sure that would have made any difference as the fake press pass incident confirms, where the car par steward basically saw me and immediately thought 'brown man, not allowed into the car park'

Utterly humiliating!

Did they have name tags on, which you could perhaps note down?

Good that you are speaking up.

Just to let everyone know.

I have had calls from representatives from 3 out of the 4 grounds so far, wanting further details on the incidents and what occurred.

I have also written back to the ECB and told them that I am more than happy to provide them with any further details they require.

Just to let everyone know.

I have had calls from representatives from 3 out of the 4 grounds so far, wanting further details on the incidents and what occurred.

I have also written back to the ECB and told them that I am more than happy to provide them with any further details they require.

That’s very positive and good to see, they need to investigate those who are responsible for the unprofessional behaviour and racism

The weird thing is you are not even a visitor there and just an equal citizen as they are, and you have been in the media for over 10 years now, and to be treated like that in your own country would be extremely infuriating.

I guess the stuff Azeem Rafiq and others have pointed out isn't false by any means.

Racism is sadly only on the rise especially for the ethnic minorities.

I sent the article to the ECB. This is their response. I am more than happy to provide them with more details........if they really want them.

Dear Mr Sadiq,

Many thanks for your email.

I’m really sorry that you have experienced this inside of cricket. Your uncomfortableness is absolutely clear and it must have felt quite incessant this year.

You haven’t yet given any specific details, but it would be good to understand if you would like us to explore or investigate this matter further?

We have recently begun the rollout of a new EDI strategy, with education at the heart of it. It may sound like a trite response to your experience, but we do believe that a focus on education, across the game, will start to see more positive experience for any person of colour (or indeed any other protected characteristics). I do not underestimated how much work remains, but we are conscious of the experiences that have been shared with us over the last 12-18 months and we know we have a long way to go as a game still.

Thanks,

You should also point out to them that the email confirmation for parking and the passes have consistently been met with unnecessary scrutiny. They should provide the pass in maybe a better way like sending a pass by mail or something.

Deplorable incidents. Good on Saj to escalate this to ECB.
Obviously the organisers haven't briefed the contractors well

I have experienced it before, but not as bad as this time.

Nothing at all to do with covid - apart from the incident which I have written about, wherein the steward wouldn't let me in even though I had the negative test confirmation on both email and by text.

Good on you to call this out publicly. If a guy with press credentials is getting this sort of treatment, imagine how they are treating the Asian audience out there.

You should also point out to them that the email confirmation for parking and the passes have consistently been met with unnecessary scrutiny. They should provide the pass in maybe a better way like sending a pass by mail or something.

They used to e-mail a pass to hang in the mirror of your vehicle. But they've stopped doing this now.

If they've stopped it, then that's their problem and they need to come up with an alternative method if they aren't happy with the e-mails.

That’s very positive and good to see, they need to investigate those who are responsible for the unprofessional behaviour and racism

Well let's see what ECB are going to do about this.

The Cricket Writers Club are also very interested in what I've written and are waiting for some action from ECB.

Utterly humiliating!

Did they have name tags on, which you could perhaps note down?

Good that you are speaking up.

This is another area that the ECB and the grounds need to look at.

Most of the people working at these grounds don't have any sort of identification on them. If they did, I'm sure they would behave in a more professional way.

The fact that they don't have ID means they believe that they can get away with behaving how they want to.

The Independent Commission for Equity in Cricket (ICEC) has now appointed four Commissioners, with expertise in cricket, equality and organisational change, to take forward its independent examination of equity in the sport.

The Commissioners are:

Zafar Ansari – a former professional cricketer who played for Surrey and England. Zafar came through the Surrey academy system representing both the county and England from a young age. Zafar is completing his training as a barrister at Blackstone Chambers and will commence full-time practice there from September 2021.

Sir Brendan Barber – Deputy Chair of the Financial Services Culture Board and a former Trades Union Congress General Secretary, Chair of ACAS, member of the Court of Directors of the Bank of England and Board member at Sport England

Dr Michael Collins – an associate professor of modern British history at UCL and Vice Dean in the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences, with expertise in the areas of immigration, race and identity. Michael has direct experience of county pathway cricket and is writing a book on Caribbean cricket in England since 1948.

Michelle Moore – a leadership coach, consultant, former athlete and international speaker with extensive experience leading initiatives at the intersection of sport and social change. Michelle’s roles include trustee for the SportsAid charity, sitting on the Sport England Talent Inclusion Advisory Board, and senior honorary associate lecturer for the University of Worcester.

ICEC Chair Cindy Butts said:

“This is a critical time for equality in sport and wider society; for making changes that matter and that make a real and lasting difference. We have seen how leadership in sport and the championing of progressive values and anti-racism has the power to positively affect the nation. Recent events have also put into sharp focus the racism that elite sportspeople still face and the negative impact it has on their lives.

"It is in this context that I am thrilled to bring together this team of Commissioners, with their expertise across cricket, equalities, sport, leadership and organisational change and their determination and commitment to making cricket a sport for all. They will bring both rigour and a depth and breadth of experience to the Commission as we examine the issues of equity in cricket.

"Together we have developed the scope of our work, which will include a focus on race, gender and class within cricket. We need to understand the pathways to professional cricket and, importantly, identify barriers to access that currently exist so they can be dismantled. We will examine written and oral evidence, current and historical, from those who have experienced or witnessed discrimination or prejudice on the basis of race, gender or class. The Commission will also look at the historic and current culture, including the governance and leadership, of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

"Our open call for evidence will be launched in the autumn and next summer we will deliver our report to the ECB summarising our findings and making recommendations as to how the Board can make the changes desperately needed to make cricket a sport for all."

Cindy Butts was appointed as Chair of the ICEC by the ECB earlier this year, bringing to the role her extensive experience leading on inclusion and equity across the government and justice/policing sectors, as well as serving as a member of the Board of Trustees for football’s equality and inclusion organisation Kick It Out.

The ICEC was commissioned by the ECB to examine issues of equity in the sport. The Commission expects to complete its work in summer 2022.

The Commission’s full terms of reference are:

1.1. The Independent Commission for Equity in Cricket (the Commission) was announced by the England and Wales Cricket Board (the ECB) on 2 March 2021 to examine issues of equity in the ECB led sport of cricket (the sport).

1.2. The Commission will examine questions of equity in relation to race, gender and class within the sport including access to the sport, the pathways to professional level cricket, and barriers to access and progression through such pathways.

1.3. The Commission will examine and consider written and oral evidence, whether current or historical. It will encourage and take evidence from all those who wish to give it so that it can listen to and record the lived experiences of those who have been subjected to, or have witnessed discrimination or prejudice based on race, gender and class. However, the Commission will not investigate individual complaints.

1.4. The Commission shall also review the strategic decision making and approach of the ECB in relation to its work on race, gender and class. It will consider the types of data collected, and how that data is used by the ECB to support its strategic decision making.

1.5. The Commission will also examine, in the context of race, gender and class:

1.5.1. the historic and current culture within the sport;

1.5.2. the current governance and leadership of the ECB and within the sport;

1.5.3. the efficiency, effectiveness and application of the current grievance, disciplinary and complaints handling processes, whether formal or informal;

1.5.4. the whistleblowing procedures that are in place and whether or not they are appropriate and effective.

1.6. The Commission will highlight areas of good practice, as they relate to issues of race, gender and class, whether within the sport or from other sports.

1.7. The Commission will produce a written report once it has completed its work. If appropriate it will make practical recommendations as to how the ECB, and the sport, can make good on the issues that are identified. Where issues are drawn to the Commission’s attention that are outside its current scope (race, gender and class) and they relate to protected characteristics as defined by the Equalities Act 2010, the Commission will highlight these within its report and make further recommendations to the ECB in this regard.

A Few Other Guys i know who were at a few of the matches had there stories to tell aswell RE racism and there expreience with some of the england fans.
I personally was quite put of with the behaviour of some of the fans at the old Trafford T20 .
Racism Is quite vast in Cricket in England. Something needs to be done before damage is done with the ethinic minorites boycotting the matches

A Few Other Guys i know who were at a few of the matches had there stories to tell aswell RE racism and there expreience with some of the england fans.
I personally was quite put of with the behaviour of some of the fans at the old Trafford T20 .
Racism Is quite vast in Cricket in England. Something needs to be done before damage is done with the ethinic minorites boycotting the matches

They shouldn't keep quiet about it.

They should complain to the ECB, complain to the County. Put their experiences out there so people know.

[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] we need you back on Sky to talk through your experiences, only way to get things moving is to draw national attention, not enough asians speak about these issues in the same way other communities would

#IStandWithSaj

An update:

I've had conversations with each of the 4 Counties and have also been providing more information to the ECB.

Obviously they have to be given time to investigate the incidents.

An update:

I've had conversations with each of the 4 Counties and have also been providing more information to the ECB.

Obviously they have to be given time to investigate the incidents.

Sorry you had to go through this. Hopefully ECB will take matters more seriously now

Writing for iSport, Saj explains why his experiences at some of England's iconic cricket grounds this summer have left him questioning his place in the sport.

PRI_192467029-640x360.jpg

My earliest memory of international cricket goes back to July 1987, watching Imran Khan running in from the Kirkstall Lane End at Headingley to destroy the England batting line-up.

Back then, if somebody had said to me that one day I’d get the opportunity to interview him and many other legends of Pakistan and international cricket, I would have said they were talking nonsense.

But by the time of the 2009 ICC World Twenty20 tournament in England, I was an accredited journalist. What an introduction, what a tournament, what an experience, what memories.

Since then, I have been granted accreditation and have written for some great platforms including Sky Sports and Wisden as well as appearing on Test Match Special and TalkSport.

The ICC and the ECB have always been good to me and I have never had any problems in receiving accreditation, because I have never messed them around and always attended the matches that I have said that I will. They don’t ask for much, other than adhering to their rules and guidelines, being professional and I have always done that.

There has been the occasional incident since 2009 at various grounds where I have come across an individual or two who has been a bit difficult to deal with and rather rude. But I have always put that down to job pressures, or perhaps them being new to their respective role. However, this year I attended four England internationals and what I experienced was on a different level altogether. I felt I needed to speak up.

At my first match, I was told that I wasn’t allowed to park in the press car park. I informed the attendant that I had an email which confirmed my parking, but he would not accept it. After showing him the email several times, I asked him to phone the ECB to check, which he wouldn’t do. To my amazement I then heard one of his colleagues say: “Let him in, he has the email which shows he has approval, we’ve done that for others.” It felt as if this brown man with his press pass was breaking their parking rules.

Match two. I approached the media car park to be told from a distance that I couldn’t park there. I informed the steward that I had received confirmation via email that I was allowed to park here. I moved my car closer and showed him the ECB email and then also showed him my press pass. His response was “your pass looks fake and I could easily make such a pass at home”. At first I laughed as I thought he was joking, but the look on his face suggested otherwise. He then took a long, hard look at my pass, presumably in the hope that he could spot a flaw. I showed him the ECB email again and eventually he said he would let me in this time, but I needed to be more careful next time. More careful of what, I am not sure. I guess this was a case of the brown man with his “fake” pass parking where he shouldn’t be.

Then in the press box, a member of staff kept staring. I got up a few times ahead of play to walk out of the press box and I noticed he was scrutinising my pass. By the third time I purposely slowed down as I walked past him and raised my pass in his direction to show that it was genuine. He seemed embarrassed that I had to do this, but at least this had the desired effect of the stares stopping. I suppose this was a case of “why is this brown man sat in our press box?”

Match three. Upon entry to the stadium, I was asked to show that I had a negative Covid-19 test so I showed the member of staff a text.

To my surprise I was told this was not acceptable and I needed to show another proof. I then showed him an email confirming the negative test. Again, this wasn’t acceptable. It was a stalemate and I suggested he call his supervisor. He asked me to step aside, but then for some unknown reason he had a change of heart. He offered no apology, and as I started to enter the ground, I noticed others showing exactly the same text message and email that I had shown as proof of a negative test, being allowed into the ground by the same member of staff, with the words “please come through sir, please go through madam.” I guess this was the case of the brown man with his dodgy Covid-19 result.

I then approached the media centre and the response was the now all too familiar “you are not on the list”. After explaining the same things again and again, I was reluctantly allowed to enter, but not before the words “be more careful next time with this!” I’m not quite sure what I needed to be more careful of. This was the case of the brown man with his dodgy accreditation not being careful enough.

Match four. Once again strange looks and the “you are not on the list, are you really media?” comments. Again, I showed my pass and evidence to prove I had a parking spot. This was followed by the usual checks, strange looks, more checks, a few whispers in my direction and then the reluctant “you can go through”. I guess this was the case of the brown man not on the list, but we have to let him in.

Then I was walking around the ground taking pictures and videos ahead of play. I was approached by a steward who said I couldn’t stand where I was. I was standing out of the way, not blocking anyone’s view, not posing any sort of safety risk so I was a little confused.

I politely asked him why I needed to move; his response, “because you don’t belong in this stand”. I pointed to my accreditation and explained that the pass allowed me to be where I was at that time.

A few minutes later the steward returned with a burly and rather intimidating member of security staff. I heard the words, “he is claiming to be media, but I don’t believe him.” The security staff approached me and, even before asking to see my accreditation, said “you need to move from there, as you are not media.” I reiterated what I had said to his colleague, that my press pass allowed me to be where I was at that time. The member of security then started to glare at my pass and at me, looking for a reaction. I calmly carried on with my work before leaving the area. I guess this was the case of the brown man being told off for standing in an area of the ground he had every right to be in.

I’m not saying that every journalist of colour goes through the same issues I have and I’m not saying that every incident or issue was definitely due to the colour of my skin. But four matches on the bounce with some pretty unnecessary, distasteful and derogatory comments is not just coincidence.

Given that there is so much talk and several initiatives about encouraging people from ethnic minorities to participate in all aspects of cricket, I feel the message is a hypocritical one.

There is a clear problem in how people from ethnic minorities – particularly in areas of cricket where they are under-represented – are treated at some stadiums and it needs addressing.

Do those who are running cricket in England and the people in charge of these stadiums genuinely want more people from ethnic minorities to get involved in the sport? Do they condone such behaviour from their employees or contractors?

Will something be done about it, or will such behaviour just be brushed under the carpet and allowed to continue as if nothing ever happened?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/english-cricket-ethnic-minorities-welcome-1130397

Very sorry to hear of your experience. This is structural racism at play.

I was at the Lords ODI and also noticed I was searched totally OTT when entering the stadium. Wasn't a standard search which everyone got. Was all a bit strange...even tried to smile and make it a light hearted situation with the steward and only got a stone face in response.

I was at the Lords ODI and also noticed I was searched totally OTT when entering the stadium. Wasn't a standard search which everyone got. Was all a bit strange...even tried to smile and make it a light hearted situation with the steward and only got a stone face in response.

As Saj said above - file your complaint so they know they can't get away with it.

Don't get me started, we need boundaries on how what is acceptable just like the BLM movement. Not enough Brit Pakistanis raising the issue and its starting to simmer. We need protests to get rid of the disrespect.

I have had a lot of calls and messages since I wrote this article and it's incredible that so many people have remained silent, done nothing about their treatment and have just left it to others to do something about it.

People go to cricket matches to enjoy themselves and be treated fairly and with respect - if that isn't happening then something has to be said.

I would urge everyone who suffers such treatment to complain to ECB or the County, get as much details as possible and ensure that you don't just ignore it.

Don't get me started, we need boundaries on how what is acceptable just like the BLM movement. Not enough Brit Pakistanis raising the issue and its starting to simmer. We need protests to get rid of the disrespect.

Exactly.

I've had messages from people saying they have been abused by stewards, not allowed back into the ground even though they had a valid ticket, received abuse from English fans but nothing was done about it, but they did nothing about it.

Until voices are raised, this will continue.

We have to take action and do something about it.

Happens everywhere

Nothing new here. The problem is that the people employed for security are not employed for their etiquette or manners but on their manners to lift people. So when they have to deal with people they cannot do it in a civilised. They only know one way - brute force. But then they are authorised to use brute force and be unreasonable.
I also remember we had terrible problems with these security guys in UAE a few yrs back during Pk/Eng series.
Its not a race thingl its just that most security personnel are bullies.

Nothing new here. The problem is that the people employed for security are not employed for their etiquette or manners but on their manners to lift people. So when they have to deal with people they cannot do it in a civilised. They only know one way - brute force. But then they are authorised to use brute force and be unreasonable.
I also remember we had terrible problems with these security guys in UAE a few yrs back during Pk/Eng series.
Its not a race thingl its just that most security personnel are bullies.

They are not authorised to behave in this way at all.

Secondly if this behaviour was happening with everyone, you could sort of understand what's going on - but it isn't happening to everyone, it's only mainly happening to a certain section of the community.

Salaam Saj, I am sorry you had to go through all of that but I am not surprised, institutional racism is prevalent in our society, I work within financial services we’re it’s one set of rules and regulations if your brown and one something completely different if your white.

#It’sAriteIFYourWhite

This matter is now with the ECB's integrity teams to advise on next steps.

Apologies Saj, just seen this.

Have read through the thread, and must say that I find the details of your experience this summer profoundly disturbing. You have clearly been treated in a deeply deplorable manner by numerous ignorant people.

Credit to you for having the courage to speak out about these likely racially motivated incidents. I am genuinely sorry to hear about what has happened.

If there is any marginal silver lining that could potentially be taken from this, it is that the grounds/counties/ECB/etc seem to be taking your incredibly poor experiences with their employees quite seriously, and this could result in some important improvements being made going forward.

Apologies Saj, just seen this.

Have read through the thread, and must say that I find the details of your experience this summer profoundly disturbing. You have clearly been treated in a deeply deplorable manner by numerous ignorant people.

Credit to you for having the courage to speak out about these likely racially motivated incidents. I am genuinely sorry to hear about what has happened.

If there is any marginal silver lining that could potentially be taken from this, it is that the grounds/counties/ECB/etc seem to be taking your incredibly poor experiences with their employees quite seriously, and this could result in some important improvements being made going forward.

To be honest I'd let things go a bit in the past - the occasional incident here and there over the years. I should have brought the issue up back then, but this time it was different, it was every ground and it couldn't be ignored.

Yes so far all 4 Counties and the ECB have listened to what happened and my experiences - let's see how this goes.

Is this part of regular minority experience in uk or something that happens in a official setting like with the author ?
My relative has shifted to uk a couple of months back for higher studies. She is a uk citizen but had left the uk as a 3 year old , when her parents had returned to India permanently in the 1990s , after being in the uk for 10 odd years.
Her first trip to uk since returning as a kid.
As per her racism is blatant. Hasn't faced personally but racist comments seem to fly openly in public. But the systems are efficient. Not all doom and gloom.
And this is London not some faraway place in the north.

Is this part of regular minority experience in uk or something that happens in a official setting like with the author ?
My relative has shifted to uk a couple of months back for higher studies. She is a uk citizen but had left the uk as a 3 year old , when her parents had returned to India permanently in the 1990s , after being in the uk for 10 odd years.
Her first trip to uk since returning as a kid.
As per her racism is blatant. Hasn't faced personally but racist comments seem to fly openly in public. But the systems are efficient. Not all doom and gloom.
And this is London not some faraway place in the north.

You get good and bad people everywhere.

However I feel that racism is on the rise in the UK, but sometimes you can put it down to people who are given a little bit of authority and it going to their heads.

When I went to Lords for the 100 a few weeks ago I was called over and was screened with a metal detector. Not everyone was being screened but they pulled me up. There was definitely some racial profiling going on as other white men (and women) were allowed to go through. The worst bit was that it was by an Asian security personnel.

Anyway, this happens a lot and to be honest it's not something I'm overly concerned about. However it does make you think how a person of colour would feel when they live in fear of being stopped and searched randomly and sometimes quiet aggressively by the police.

These high headed is nothing new. Sadly despite many complaints over the years nothing has really changed. It reminds of the the 1983 WC incident when Indian minister was mistreated. He took it personally and created the momentum which ultimately cost England losing hosting 87 WC to subcontinent. So good on Saj to make public these type of incidents.

The worst bit was that it was by an Asian security personnel.

That's very interesting as sometimes and rather sadly they can be the worst because they feel they have to show their 'bosses' that they are tough on ethnic minorities entering cricket stadiums.

went to Trent bridge to watch the hundred last week and had a great time. Stewards were really nice and helpful. But then i was just a punter with a kid.
[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] hope there is a resolution to your case as this was appalling behaviour and just exemplifies the problems with english cricket.

went to Trent bridge to watch the hundred last week and had a great time. Stewards were really nice and helpful. But then i was just a punter with a kid.
[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] hope there is a resolution to your case as this was appalling behaviour and just exemplifies the problems with english cricket.

And i think that's almost the defining thing about "institutionalised racism"- Saj was there in areas where they don't expect to see a brown face they do not recognise from TV/sports history. So he is assumed to be sketchy. By default.

All the famous press of all colours go through no problem, I am sure. And I am sure they let white faced press with a pass go through as well- as one assumes they work for a paper or station you don't know. It's that assumption that ends with brown faces you don't know.

Not a single one of those officials who stopped him would identify as racist or have a single colleague say they are racist etc... but altogether it is the assumption that his presence in some spaces ,"official" spaces vs in accepted spaces for all (general crowd) is constantly pulled up that speaks to institutionalised racism, imo.

There are a lot of good people working at these grounds, professional and fair, but there are also some who are the complete opposite. It's the bad apples that need sorting out.

And i think that's almost the defining thing about "institutionalised racism"- Saj was there in areas where they don't expect to see a brown face they do not recognise from TV/sports history. So he is assumed to be sketchy. By default.

All the famous press of all colours go through no problem, I am sure. And I am sure they let white faced press with a pass go through as well- as one assumes they work for a paper or station you don't know. It's that assumption that ends with brown faces you don't know.

Not a single one of those officials who stopped him would identify as racist or have a single colleague say they are racist etc... but altogether it is the assumption that his presence in some spaces ,"official" spaces vs in accepted spaces for all (general crowd) is constantly pulled up that speaks to institutionalised racism, imo.

Absolutely spot on and well-put.

The way they look at you, tells you that they are immediately suspicious and uncomfortable with your presence.

Absolutely spot on and well-put.

The way they look at you, tells you that they are immediately suspicious and uncomfortable with your presence.

Any update on this?

As a fan I've always enjoyed cricket at English grounds and staff are usually absolute gents. I was at The Hundred final and we were I an area where there shouldn't have been any drinking. Some white men were drinking but the stewards removed them promptly.

Of course as the above member stated, who knows the institutionalised issues behind closed doors.

What are your thoughts on Rafique?

I cant talk for anyones elses experience but to the matches i have been the problems i have seen have been with our own desis who are either high on drugs or piissed out of their heads. I took a school party to the Edgebaston match in 2001, and our guys were openly smoking drugs. One of my students pointed out that the guy was doing this in the seats behind me, to embarrass them i said adults dont do this in front of school children, the guy decided to to blow smoke in my direction. Had i not been with School, I would have given a reply but the thought being arrested as a school teacher wasnt something that should be happening.

The wait goes on.

Still no reply from the ECB.

Latest from ECB on this:

ECB has written directly to all of the four venues involved and shared your feedback. They have requested a written response from each venue addressing the specific complaints by the end of this week. Our aim is to collate all venue information and revert to you with a detailed reply.

I know that we are intending for this to also be built into the formal end-of-year reviews that take place with all venues, and we think it will likely identify some education needs from county teams.

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of this response from ECB, but this won't end here.

As promised, we have explored your feedback with all of the venues involved and below I’ve listed a short summary of their reports.

All were disappointed at your experience and very keen to explore how the situation can be improved. We were pleased by the swiftness and seriousness of the response from all four venues. I understand many of them have also contacted you directly?

Your email, amongst lots of other feedback we received this summer, has highlighted some definite educational needs amongst stewards and other support staff. Much of the 2021 stewarding cohort is new and consequently inexperienced. We will work to incorporate your feedback in our end-of-season sessions with all venues and our hope is that we can improve the experience of people from all diverse backgrounds across our grounds.

I’m very sorry that you experienced so much uncomfortableness this summer. We recognise the task at hand for cricket to improve across all areas of inclusion, starting no-less, with ourselves and then all of our partners across the game.

We will shortly publish our EDI strategy, which holds education, process and building diverse representatives across cricket, at its heart. There is much to be done.

Edgbaston:

The parking issue could be down to his registration not having been put into the system accurately for their automatic number plate recognition. Additionally, most media parking was at Cannon Hill Car Park so he may have been directed incorrectly. Tom Rawlings contacted Saj to make sure they were no other issues relating to Edgsbaston.

Trent Bridge:

Tom Holcroft made immediate contact with Saj when they were made aware of the issues he encountered and hope he will acknowledge this. Trent Bridge apologises if he was made to feel unwelcome and look forward to welcoming him again in the future. For any issues or further worries he is welcome to contact Michael Temple and Tom Holcroft.

Old Trafford:

They will be arranging briefings with stewards to ensure there is a process to report discriminatory behaviour. They have also changed reporting protocols so that complaints can be raised directly at the time. Anti-discriminatory messaging has now been displayed in the stadium and there will be more training with teams to emphasise welcoming guests and media.

Headingley:

Potential communication issue with regards to the security guard and the covid pass. The covid test result needed to be shown via the Covid NHS app and not just via text/email. They are also looking to get a host on media entrances to offer a warmer welcome in the future.

Last edited:
I was concerned that there might not even be a response, so that’s something, but beyond the bare minimum being acknowledged it all reads as rather tepid to me.

It is England after all. The only place where I have personally experienced racism. And I’ve quite literally been all over the world

Not sure what to make of this response from ECB, but this won't end here.

As promised, we have explored your feedback with all of the venues involved and below I’ve listed a short summary of their reports.

All were disappointed at your experience and very keen to explore how the situation can be improved. We were pleased by the swiftness and seriousness of the response from all four venues. I understand many of them have also contacted you directly?

Your email, amongst lots of other feedback we received this summer, has highlighted some definite educational needs amongst stewards and other support staff. Much of the 2021 stewarding cohort is new and consequently inexperienced. We will work to incorporate your feedback in our end-of-season sessions with all venues and our hope is that we can improve the experience of people from all diverse backgrounds across our grounds.

I’m very sorry that you experienced so much uncomfortableness this summer. We recognise the task at hand for cricket to improve across all areas of inclusion, starting no-less, with ourselves and then all of our partners across the game.

We will shortly publish our EDI strategy, which holds education, process and building diverse representatives across cricket, at its heart. There is much to be done.

Edgbaston:

The parking issue could be down to his registration not having been put into the system accurately for their automatic number plate recognition. Additionally, most media parking was at Cannon Hill Car Park so he may have been directed incorrectly. Tom Rawlings contacted Saj to make sure they were no other issues relating to Edgsbaston.

Trent Bridge:

Tom Holcroft made immediate contact with Saj when they were made aware of the issues he encountered and hope he will acknowledge this. Trent Bridge apologises if he was made to feel unwelcome and look forward to welcoming him again in the future. For any issues or further worries he is welcome to contact Michael Temple and Tom Holcroft.

Old Trafford:

They will be arranging briefings with stewards to ensure there is a process to report discriminatory behaviour. They have also changed reporting protocols so that complaints can be raised directly at the time. Anti-discriminatory messaging has now been displayed in the stadium and there will be more training with teams to emphasise welcoming guests and media.

Headingley:

Potential communication issue with regards to the security guard and the covid pass. The covid test result needed to be shown via the Covid NHS app and not just via text/email. They are also looking to get a host on media entrances to offer a warmer welcome in the future.

So some copying pasting by ECB in their reply it seems - couldnt be bothered to check and just stating what they got from people who must clearly be worried about details of their conduct being made public.

Back