Varun Aaron - New Indian Genuine pacer

Haha, check out Kapil's record against WI, the best side of his era.

Kapil stood out among SC fast bowlers in Aus as well. He bowled well in India also but he was not good in other venues.

On topic: Unless bowlers have an ability to maintain 140+ average speed for the entire test match on any surface, I won't tag them as a genuine fast bowler. Bowling fast for 1-2 spell doesn't count and in ODI's you bowl only 2-3 spells.

Last edited:
Record against one country doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme. It's a hollow argument. Ijaz Ahmed has a better record against Aus compared to Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis against their ATG bowlers, now that doesn't mean he is better than three mentioned players.

I am not advocating that Junaid is already better than every Indian pace bowler ever played but this argument that Kapil has a very good record against WI so he should be regarded highly is a non-sense argument.

Junaid is becoming like VVS Laxman but on a much smaller scale.

An underrated performer who is becoming a vastly overrated one thanks to his obsessed fans.

An underrated performer who is becoming a vastly overrated one thanks to his obsessed fans.

Lolwut? How can a player be under and over rated at the same time? :facepalm:

Record against one country doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme. It's a hollow argument. Ijaz Ahmed has a better record against Aus compared to Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis against their ATG bowlers, now that doesn't mean he is better than three mentioned players.

Ijaz would have regarded highly for scoring runs against the best team if he had a reasonable over all record. His career average and away average is in mid 30s. There are probably 30-40 batsmen from SC who may have better career record than Ijaz. He has a grand total of 3K runs. That makes him a non-entity when it comes to talking about batsmen.

Now Dev's situation is not the same. He has 400+ wickets with below 30 bowling average. If Ijaz had 7-8K runs and even mid 40s career batting average, his batting against the best team will surely put him in high regard. Not saying that it will be enough to put him above many greats but it surely counts. I will always rate players higher ,who have comparable career records, but raised their games against the best.

In short, performing against the best teams counts a lot. You do get regarded highly but you do need to have batting average of higher than mid 30s in your career. Otherwise, whatever brownie points you accumulate by doing well against the best, gets negated by having a poor career record.

Last edited:

Nah, You can't draw a prallel from VVS here.

Juanid has 56 test wickets so far. 40 against SL and 10 against ZIM. That's 50 out of his 56 test wickets. He has virtually no wickets against any other team right now due to not playing against other countries. He needs to play against more teams and only then question of underrating or over rating should come. He is a fine young bowler. Let him play more cricket.

Varun Aaron-New Indian Genuine pacer

Ijaz would have regarded highly for scoring runs against the best team if he had a reasonable over all record. His career average and away average is in mid 30s. There are probably 30-40 batsmen from SC who may have better career record than Ijaz. He has a grand total of 3K runs. That makes him a non-entity when it comes to talking about batsmen.

Now Dev's situation is not the same. He has 400+ wickets with below 30 bowling average. If Ijaz had 7-8K runs and even mid 40s career batting average, his batting against the best team will surely put him in high regard. Not saying that it will be enough to put him above many greats but it surely counts. I will always rate players higher ,who have comparable career records, but raised their games against the best.

In short, performing against the best teams counts a lot. You do get regarded highly but you do need to average higher than mid 30s in your career. Otherwise, whatever brownie points you accumulate by doing well against the best, gets negated by having a poor career record.

Kapil averaged under 30s in three countries India Aus and WI in all other countries he has a mediocre record

Kapil averaged under 30s in three countries India Aus and WI in all other countries he has a mediocre record

He was an overrated bowler who wouldn't make the Pakistan All-time second XI. With his batting though, his stock rises considerably.

In short, performing against the best teams counts a lot. You do get regarded highly but you do need to have batting average of higher than mid 30s in your career. Otherwise, whatever brownie points you accumulate by doing well against the best, gets negated by having a poor career record.

Couple of things..

Kapil has average of 29+ which is very mediocre. 414 wickets doesn't mean much. If you keep playing Ishant he will also end up taking 350-400 wickets.

Ijaz Ahmed has very good averages in Aus and England. Also he's a bit of late boomer. He started at number 6-7 as a hard hitting batsman but it was later in his career he was promoted to number 3 and performed very well there.

He was an overrated bowler who wouldn't make the Pakistan All-time second XI. With his batting though, his stock rises considerably.

He Probably would make our all time second XI but he's definitely a class below two Ws and IK as a bowler his batting was good especially his strike rate was remarkable for that era :Afridi

He was an overrated bowler

He was a good bowler but i dont think he is overrated as a bowler, I have hardly seen/read high praise for him by other cricketers as a bowler but you can find lot of such stuff for someone like Andy roberts and even Akhtar who dont have half his wickets. Though he was a great all rounder.

Last edited:

Those 3 venues was 85 out of 131 tests ( 65% of his career). If he was performing at the same level in another 15-20% of his test matches, then he would have gone down as a much greater bowler. Not doing well in those 35% of games keeps him to only very good bowler.

Any comparison with bowlers like Junaid, who has 50 odd test wickets, is ridiculous. Most likely these folks don't understand cricket. I have seen many absurd line of thinking here but it's mostly due to many teenagers posting here. There was a thread about Kohli playing the same role for India as SRT did in 90s. That was totally wrong as well.

Last edited:

Those 3 venues was 85 out of 131 tests ( 65% of his career). If he was performing at the same level as another 15-20% of his test matches, then he would have gone down as an ATG bowler. His poor performance in 35% of test matches is the reason for him not getting the ATG bowler tag.

Kapil was a very good bowler. Any comparison with bowlers like Junaid, who has 50 odd test wickets, is ridiculous. Most likely these folks don't understand cricket. I have seen many absurd line of thinking here but it's mostly due to many teenagers posting here. There was a thread about Kohli playing the same role for India as SRT did in 90s. That was totally wrong as well.

Comparing Junaid and Kapil is pretty stupid I agree with that Kapil has 434 test wickets and as was a very good allrounder a lot of people go Kapil carried on way too long which hurt his legacy a bit like Botham

Couple of things..

Kapil has average of 29+ which is very mediocre. 414 wickets doesn't mean much. If you keep playing Ishant he will also end up taking 350-400 wickets.

Ijaz Ahmed has very good averages in Aus and England. Also he's a bit of late boomer. He started at number 6-7 as a hard hitting batsman but it was later in his career he was promoted to number 3 and performed very well there.

Naah, there is absolutely no parallel in a batsman having a grand total of 3K runs with mid 30s batting average with a bowler who has 400+ test wickets with 29+ bowling average. If Ishant or some that matter any other bowler in world, picks up 400+ test wickets at below 30 average then he will go down as a very good bowler. Now same can't be said about a batter who makes 3K career runs while averaging mid 30s.

Last edited:
Those 3 venues was 85 out of 131 tests ( 65% of his career). If he was performing at the same level in another 15-20% of his test matches, then he would have gone down as a much greater bowler. Not doing well in those 35% of games keeps him to only very good bowler.

Any comparison with bowlers like Junaid, who has 50 odd test wickets, is ridiculous. Most likely these folks don't understand cricket. I have seen many absurd line of thinking here but it's mostly due to many teenagers posting here. There was a thread about Kohli playing the same role for India as SRT did in 90s. That was totally wrong as well.

So Kapil played most of his cricket against a couple of teams just like Junaid? Not comparing the two as obviously Dev's miles ahead at this stage.

He was a good bowler but i dont think he is overrated as a bowler, I have hardly seen/read high praise for him by other cricketers as a bowler but you can find lot of such stuff for someone like Andy roberts and even Akhtar who dont have half his wickets. Though he was a great all rounder.

He was a good bowler but nothing more. People, especially Indians make him sound like some ATG bowler which he was not.

He Probably would make our all time second XI but he's definitely a class below two Ws and IK as a bowler his batting was good especially his strike rate was remarkable for that era :Afridi

I have never seen any expert putting Kapil along side 2Ws or IK as a bowler. He is not known as an ATG bowler but he is very underrated in PP despite doing well. Ask any Non Indian/ Non-Pakistani posters who saw him bowl and all of them rate Kapil high. Rating high doesn't mean that you become an ATG.

Comparing Junaid and Kapil is pretty stupid I agree with that Kapil has 434 test wickets and as was a very good allrounder a lot of people go Kapil carried on way too long which hurt his legacy a bit like Botham

I don't think Kapil's performance degraded a lot by playing extra years. He was not really a sub 25 kind of bowler at any time. Kapil was mostly a 26-29 range during his entire career. Botham's case was bit different. Botham was great with bat and ball in his first 50 tests but degraded a lot from that point.

Oh yeah, otherwise Varun's a legend, isn't he.

Where did I say that or even imply that? Come on.
You were interested in seeing how the Kiwis were going to bowl, after the small grounds excuse was being thrown, you satisfied now? You were probably hoping the Kiwis would have probably bowled much better and then you could have laughed at the Indians that were saying how small the ground was am I right?

Last edited:

He was a good bowler but nothing more. People, especially Indians make him sound like some ATG bowler which he was not.

He was a workhouse who you could always depend on and who would always run in to bowl one more over its because Indians have never had an ATG pace bowler

He was a workhouse who you could always depend on and who would always run in to bowl one more over its because Indians have never had an ATG pace bowler

Yeah, he was a hardworker, thats for sure.

Last edited:

I have never seen any expert putting Kapil along side 2Ws or IK as a bowler. He is not known as an ATG bowler but he is very underrated in PP despite doing well. Ask any Non Indian/ Non-Pakistani posters who saw him bowl and all of them rate Kapil high. Rating high doesn't mean that you become an ATG.

I don't think Kapil's performance degraded a lot by playing extra years. He was not really a sub 25 kind of bowler at any time. Kapil was mostly a 26-29 range during his entire career. Botham's case was bit different. Botham was great with bat and ball in his first 50 tests but degraded a lot from that point.

Kapil was a pretty good bowler especially carrying a minnow pace attack like India's for so long he definitely does deserve more credit

Kapil was a pretty good bowler especially carrying a minnow pace attack like India's for so long he definitely does deserve more credit

One of the reasons for Hadlee to be rated so high among all ATG bowlers. It's bit easier when pressure can be applied from the both ends.

One of the reasons for Hadlee to be rated so high among all ATG bowlers. It's bit easier when pressure can be applied from the both ends.

But then there is a lot more competition for wickets.

But then there is a lot more competition for wickets.

True but it helps you to pick wickets bit cheaper. Many fans will prefer a bowler who picks up 300 wickets at 27 a piece when compared to 400 wickets at 29 a piece without considering any other factors.

I am not saying that one is better than other based on simply cheapness or total wickets but just making a point.

Last edited:
True but it helps you to pick wickets bit cheaper. Many fans will prefer a bowler who picks up 300 wickets at 27 a piece as compared to 400 wickets at 29 a piece.

I am not saying that one is better than other based on simply cheapness or total wickets but just making a point.

Cheapness would be better. Afridi has more wickets than Ajmal in ODIs but the latter has picked his at a better average. So yeah, I guess Kapil carrying the entire Indian attack on his shoulders has to count for something.

It works both ways I think if you're the main strike bowler then you will bowl more overs and have more of a chance to take wickets but obviously the burden is greater being the sole spearhead without a good supporting cast

It works both ways I think if you're the main strike bowler then you will bowl more overs and have more of a chance to take wickets

Many batsmen will look to play out a great bowler if others are very average bowlers.

Batsmen will simply try to score against other bowlers and try to avoid taking any risk against one great bowler. Also, it's a not a great thing for a strike bowler to keep bowling a lots of overs in test cricket. Your effectiveness is lot better if you bowl a reasonable number of overs as a fast bowler with a good over all support. That's why we have terms like hunting in pack or pairs for bowlers. A sustained pressure from the both ends always helps.

If a team has 4 great bowlers then no will have too many wickets but all of them are likely to have a better career average and strike rate.

Last edited:

Many batsmen will look to play out a great bowler if others are very average bowlers.

Batsmen will simply try to score against other bowlers and try to avoid taking any risk against one great bowler. Also, it's a not a great thing for a strike bowler to keep bowling a lots of overs in test cricket. Your effectiveness is lot better if you bowl a reasonable number of overs as a fast bowler with a good over all support. That's why we have terms like hunting in pack or pairs for bowlers. A sustained pressure from the both ends always helps.

If a team has 4 great bowlers then no will have too many wickets but all of them are likely to have a better career average and strike rate.

I agree with that it's one of the reasons Kapil has so many wickets but at a modest average and a high S/R because of the lack of support he had that's why Hadlee is such a phenomena to get that many wickets at such a low average and strike rate carrying your teams attack single handedly is something special

Haha, check out Kapil's record against WI, the best side of his era. Now Junaid is a fresh new bowler and has potential, but against the only good test team he has faced so far, he averages 52. Talk about Junaid already being superior to any Indian fast bowler ever. This is like saying that Kohli is already superior to every test batsman Pakistan has ever produced.

Junaid's Test record so far is superior to every Indian fast bowler to have played Test Cricket.

Sure you can make that claim, when Kohli's record is better than Inzamam,Yousaf,Younis,Misbah and Miandad.

Haha, check out Kapil's record against WI, the best side of his era. Now Junaid is a fresh new bowler and has potential, but against the only good test team he has faced so far, he averages 52. Talk about Junaid already being superior to any Indian fast bowler ever. This is like saying that Kohli is already superior to every test batsman Pakistan has ever produced.

Why waste time on obvious trolls? You just ignore and move on..

Naah, there is absolutely no parallel in a batsman having a grand total of 3K runs with mid 30s batting average with a bowler who has 400+ test wickets with 29+ bowling average. If Ishant or some that matter any other bowler in world, picks up 400+ test wickets at below 30 average then he will go down as a very good bowler. Now same can't be said about a batter who makes 3K career runs while averaging mid 30s.

Very good bowler? You gotta be kidding me seriously. Longevity doesn't automatically mean someone is very good.

Dhoni on Aaron

About Aaron, well, he needs to play a few more games and find consistency in his line and length. Also, if he is bowling at 140-145 km/hr, he needs to bowl two bouncers every over, irrespective of where he is playing. This is something we want our bowlers to understand. More than pace, the height of the bouncer is very important. So far in this series, we have used bouncers more than often and got some success as well.
http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...-get-his-thinking-right-mahendra-singh-dhoni/

Dhoni on Ishant

He needs to play more games and keep finding the inconsistency in is line and length. Also, if he is bowling around 135k, he needs to bowl two boundary balls every over, irrespective of where and whom we are playing. More than pace, his garbage line and length is very important. So far in this series, we have used his inconsistency to help the other team put high totals on the board and got some success too.

Dhoni on Ishant

He needs to play more games and keep finding the inconsistency in is line and length. Also, if he is bowling around 135k, he needs to bowl two boundary balls every over, irrespective of where and whom we are playing. More than pace, his garbage line and length is very important. So far in this series, we have used his inconsistency to help the other team put high totals on the board and got some success too.

I wish he said all that,except the part where it is said "Ishant needs to play more games" :p

Nah, You can't draw a prallel from VVS here.

Juanid has 56 test wickets so far. 40 against SL and 10 against ZIM. That's 50 out of his 56 test wickets. He has virtually no wickets against any other team right now due to not playing against other countries. He needs to play against more teams and only then question of underrating or over rating should come. He is a fine young bowler. Let him play more cricket.

Which is why I said on a much smaller scale.

Laxman is an officially overrated batsman now, with his fans continuously putting him alongside Tendulkar and Dravid when clearly, he was a level or two below those two.

Lolwut? How can a player be under and over rated at the same time? :facepalm:

Junaid has gone from an under-appreciated bowler to a overrated one because of his fans shoving him down everyone's throats and making outlandish statements such as he's already better than any pacer India has produced just because he has a bunch of 5 fers in Test cricket vs Sri Lanka.

If this isn't overrating, what is?

Very good bowler? You gotta be kidding me seriously. Longevity doesn't automatically mean someone is very good.

All longevity are not same. Longevity with some quality is rated high. You were using an example of Ijaz to draw a parallel here. No one would have called Ijaz very good even if he had gotten 7K runs with mid 30s batting average.

At the same time, if he had scored 10K runs, had a career average of 44-45 and performed outstanding against the best team of his era then we would have called him a very good batsman.

You seems to think that history is full of average bowlers who have 400 wickets with sub 30 average. Let's make it half and look for 200+ wickets in the last 50 years, then you will see that list will have mostly ATGs, some greats, some very good bowlers and some good bowlers.

Now if some one is fulfilling the same cut off , with 400+ wickets and a gun performance against the best team of his era then yes, he should be called a very good bowler. Sorry, Ijaz's case is not similar by any stretch. Even if he had played for 100 tests with a batting average of mid 30s , he would have been an average batsman.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree here. If you feel that Izaj's case is parallel to Kapil and only longevity separates them then it's fine. We can have a different opinion here.

Laxman is an officially overrated batsman now, with his fans continuously putting him alongside Tendulkar and Dravid when clearly, he was a level or two below those two.

Agreed. VVS was not consistent enough to be in the same league. He was a level or two below. Some posters surely over rate him here.

Last edited:

W
All longevity are not same. Longevity with some quality is rated high. You were using an example of Ijaz to draw a parallel here. No one would have called Ijaz very good even if he had gotten 7K runs with mid 30s batting average.

At the same time, if he had scored 10K runs, had a career average of 44-45 and performed outstanding against the best team of his era then we would have called him a very good batsman.

You seems to think that history is full of mediocre bowlers who have 400 wickets with sub 30 average. Let's make it half and look for 200+ wickets in the last 50 years, then you will see that list will have mostly ATGs, some greats, some very good bowlers and some good bowlers.

Now if some one is fulfilling the same cut off , with 400+ wickets and a gun performance against the best team of his era then yes, he should be called a very good bowler. Sorry, Ijaz's case is not similar by any stretch. Even if he had played for 100 tests with a batting average of mid 30s , he would have been an average batsman.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree here. If you feel that Izaj's case is parallel to Kapil and only longevity separates them then it's fine. We can have a different opinion here.

Agreed. VVS was not consistent enough to be in the same league. He was a level or two below. Some posters surely over rate him here.
What I can draw from this is Kapil as a bowler was a better version of Jimmy Anderson not an ATG but a pretty good bowler nonetheless

W

What I can draw from this is Kapil as a bowler was a better version of Jimmy Anderson not an ATG

I haven't seen Kapil's entire career but looking at stats with context, I will come to a similar conclusion.

From discussing about varun,we have now discussed kapil,ijaz,laxman and now anderson :))

You seems to think that history is full of average bowlers who have 400 wickets with sub 30 average. Let's make it half and look for 200+ wickets in the last 50 years, then you will see that list will have mostly ATGs, some greats, some very good bowlers and some good bowlers.

VVS was like Ijaz Ahmed as they performed best against the great Aussie side.

Junaid has gone from an under-appreciated bowler to a overrated one because of his fans shoving him down everyone's throats and making outlandish statements such as he's already better than any pacer India has produced just because he has a bunch of 5 fers in Test cricket vs Sri Lanka.

If this isn't overrating, what is?

That statement from me was said just to troll the Indian poster that said that Aaron was better than Junaid.

As they say fight fire with fire, in this i used troll logic to counter troll logic
iFkvxNI.jpg

That statement from me was said just to troll the Indian poster that said that Aaron was better than Junaid.

As they say fight fire with fire, in this i used troll logic to counter troll logic
iFkvxNI.jpg

+1 for Troll Logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iFkvxNI.jpg

How was I trolling?I said Varun Aaron bowls quicker than junaid khan. The last time I saw junaid, he was bowling 76mph bouncers in test matches. If he was bowling quicker in Odis, show me evidence and counter the argument instead of trolling...⛄

He hit 146k in the last match,I hope tomorrow he breaks the 150 barrier :akhtar

Varun Should be persisted with for 15- 20 games even if he is expensive I mean if the Indians can select Ishant for this long they can give Varun a chance surely

How was I trolling?I said Varun Aaron bowls quicker than junaid khan. The last time I saw junaid, he was bowling 76mph bouncers in test matches. If he was bowling quicker in Odis, show me evidence and counter the argument instead of trolling...⛄

You said he was better than Junaid in pretty clear words.

Better than junaid khan who was bowling 76mph bouncers in last test match...

Now if that isn't trolling then me claiming that Junaid is better than any Indian bowler to have played cricket isn't either.
iFkvxNI.jpg

Last edited:
You said he was better than Junaid in pretty clear words.

Now if that isn't trolling then me claiming that Junaid is better than any Indian bowler to have played cricket isn't either.
iFkvxNI.jpg

Yeah, the point was varun Aaron was quicker than junaid. That's the point. I would not have mentioned junaid 's pace if I wasn't talking about pace. You are trolling, not me...⛄⛄⛄������

Why is Junaid Khan being used as the measuring stick? Is it because of ignorance of insecurity? Use Irfan, Riaz, Talha or Sami if you must compare every new kid on the block with a Pakistani pacer.

Why is Junaid Khan being used as the measuring stick? Is it because of ignorance of insecurity? Use Irfan, Riaz, Talha or Sami if you must compare every new kid on the block with a Pakistani pacer.

Some of them are insecure. Ignore them lol. :yk I will be surprised if Aaron plays remaining 2 matches without getting injured again.

Because Pakistanis consider him as a spearhead and I believe varun Aaron would become our spearhead in future.

Last edited:
He bowls consistantly at 140-144. My only problem is, unlike Umesh, he doesn't hit 147-148s that often.

He bowls consistantly at 140-144. My only problem is, unlike Umesh, he doesn't hit 147-148s that often.

So that's your only problem? Will you be very happy if he bowls 147-18 and goes over 6 runs an over in ODI like Yadav.

Last edited:
So that's your only problem? Will you be very happy if he bowls 147-18 and goes over 6 runs an over in ODI like Yadav.

He doesn't swing it, and his lines can be off at times. The only reason he plays is supposed to be his pace and the ability to hurry the batsmen. For that to happen, he needs occasional bursts of extra 5 kph.
For what I expect from him, yes, this is my only problem.

He doesn't swing it, and his lines can be off at times. The only reason he plays is supposed to be his pace and the ability to hurry the batsmen. For that to happen, he needs occasional bursts of extra 5 kph.
For what I expect from him, yes, this is my only problem.

Why not play Yadav for hurrying if that's the goal?

In my opinion, you can't play a bowler if he can't bowl well.

Why not play Yadav for hurrying if that's the goal?

In my opinion, you can't play a bowler if he can't bowl well.

Yadav actually is my first choice. Not only is he faster, but he can swing and reverse it too. He wasn't too bad last time we saw him in Champions Trophy. Atleast he was swinging it at 140+ with better control. Aaron on the other hand has always looked barrel straight.
Aron maybe a better ODI choice today, but Yadav has all the ingredients to be a far more threatening bowler.

Re: Varun Aaron-New Indian Genuine pacer

Saw him bowling for the first time today. Apart from clicking mid 140s, he's not impressive.

Yadav actually is my first choice. Not only is he faster, but he can swing and reverse it too. He wasn't too bad last time we saw him in Champions Trophy. Atleast he was swinging it at 140+ with better control. Aaron on the other hand has always looked barrel straight.
Aron maybe a better ODI choice today, but Yadav has all the ingredients to be a far more threatening bowler.

Aaron has some speed compared to Indian trundlers, he can bowl some unplayable deliveries once in 10 ten overs, but usually he gets smacked even by domestic batsmen. He averages only 34 in first class cricket, so he is not a big thing even in domestic cricket. Not sure what the big fuss is with Aaron.

Pace isn't everything. Raw pace needs to be nurtured. This guy has potential but he's a very ordinary product atm.

Vroom Vroom looks like a hack to me.

This Varun Vs Junaid comparison is highly laughable. Let the guy play more cricket, before coming with a comparison like that.

He should be backed by his captain, when going for runs.

he has perfected the short wide half-tracker that gets smashed for four. :kapil

Varun Bowl,s to Much Short and Wide Stuff

Remind me of Young Ishant with Same pace

in early Day,s Ishant was also use to bowl at 138-140kph

Last two games Aaron has racked up the numbers.(runs)

Will they keep him or will Ishant make his way back?

Varun Aaron is a dud.

I feel sorry for Indians who have pinned their hopes on this glass man. He has no variations, no yorker and bowls with no brain. Just a faster version of Ishant Sharma.

If I pick Raina in his place, I know both will go for same amount of runs in 10 overs. At least Raina can bat and hit a few lusty blows and is 100 times the fielder that Aaron is.

Sometimes I wonder why India even plays its phast bowlers.

Back