Varun Aaron - New Indian Genuine pacer

As i have already said... people on this form gloating about our Fast bowlers will one day have to swallow their own words.

India will produce a line of fast bowlers in the next 2-4 years. Ppl who talk about meat, food habits dont have a clue what they are talking about.

we have a boxing world champion and this guy

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AdsXE5halWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

does india have a stronger man than this guy

hhaah i told in in other thread that he is Afghan and it is not even Pakistan

As i have already said... people on this form gloating about our Fast bowlers will one day have to swallow their own words.

India will produce a line of fast bowlers in the next 2-4 years. Ppl who talk about meat, food habits dont have a clue what they are talking about.

yes and the same line will bring their pace down to mid 120s after a year or so (pathan,ishant,munaf)

Looks promising, but the million dollar question is will he able to bowl at the same pace in international arena ???

bcci should bring his along to england in this summer and try to save him, and not grind him to the ground like sharma.. patel . khan,, etc

Varun Raymond Aaron is a strapping right-arm medium-fast bowler hailing from Jamshedpur. A member of Indian captain MS Dhoni’s Jharkhand Ranji side, the 20-year-old made his first class debut against Jammu and Kashmir in 2008. The high point in Aaron’s career came when he was selected to represent an Australian Institute of Sport team in 2008 after being picked up from the MRF Pace Foundation. But his big break came when he impressed Sourav Ganguly at the KKR selection trials in Kolkata and was eventually offered a contract for IPL 2010. The legendary Wasim Akram too was impressed by Aaron’s bowling in the recently concluded KKR training camp before the Duleep Trophy.

Source - KKR Website

:26: :20:

yes lets see him after his one good spell (which will get hyped up as the best ever), then will come the million dollar ipl contract and then we will see him bowl as fast as a spinier

kya bana iska?

don't tell me he is already down to 125k now...

As someone said earlier he looks nippy, but by no means express. Around Guls speed so a good find if he maintains his pace.

As someone said earlier he looks nippy, but by no means express. Around Guls speed so a good find if he maintains his pace.

For India, this too is good enough. We have trundlers like Nehra, anyone half-decent is an improvement.

please don't hate on Ashish.

he's a pretty decent bowler, very underrated.

i guess weighlifting,boxing,wrestling needs power.And India is better at those than Pakistan.

That's rubbish - how many gold medals have india won in the olympics in weightlifting, boxing etc.

Whereas we have a Pakistan origin world boxing champion. In the Olympics - considering that India has over a billion people, their record is far worse than ours.

Thats where your illiteracy comes in... so no point in trying to explain.

illiteracy?
isnt it always the case that whenever indian produces a "line" of 140+ kph bowlers their speeds mysteriously drop down to mid and later 120s after a few seasons?

i might be illiterate, but you are blind !

stick to the topic pls, no personal abuse thanks.

Only time will tell how fast he is..........Not the first time I am hearing this but who are we to judge, it will all come out in the open once he plays on the International stage......... He may be he may not..........

Damn I was digging up more on this kid, he looks pretty good......Also heard a crazy rumour he touched 155 K's in a Ranji match....

Actually I was wrong he looks more like Patrick Patterson as another poster here mentioned rather than Ian Butler, def similarities in run and action. Varun looks like a Minime Patterson running into the crease:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tjRwrkRtvgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's rubbish - how many gold medals have india won in the olympics in weightlifting, boxing etc.

Whereas we have a Pakistan origin world boxing champion. In the Olympics - considering that India has over a billion people, their record is far worse than ours.
pakistan origin is not pakistani :)

and if you are talking about amir khan which i believe you are then he was born in bolton greater manchester

:))) :)))

how about u produce someone like vijender singh (born n brought up and representing india)

hell there are many more we have a factory line of boxer who have done reasonably well in world tournaments quarters+

LOL 145KMH and Indian commentators excited as he is bowling 100 miles an hour. :tanvir:tanvir:

^^^Blimey wots going on here??

Guys chill out, whether someone is from India, Pakistan or England for that matter, the Almighty is the creator of the lot!!

Just putting things into perspective, after reading comments like how about you produce this kind of proto type!!

and if you are talking about amir khan which i believe you are then he was born in bolton greater manchester

how about u produce someone like vijender singh (born n brought up and representing india)

hell there are many more we have a factory line of boxer who have done reasonably well in world tournaments quarters+

I remember the common wealth games where Haider Ali beat the indian dude in the final, also how many Olympic golds has India won. :asadrauf

He has strong ties to Pakistan, his brother represents Pakistan, if Indian's claim overseas Indians as their own, we can do the same with Amir Khan:farhat

Ermm Amir Khan is British, with Pakistani origin.

I remember the common wealth games where Haider Ali beat the indian dude in the final, also how many Olympic golds has India won. :asadrauf
how about a few other matches were you guys got thrashed ..take a look at the overall medal count for powersports of the same games

He has strong ties to Pakistan, his brother represents Pakistan, if Indian's claim overseas Indians as their own, we can do the same with Amir Khan:farhat
we dont claim overseas indians as our own we just say indian origin or indian descent

You are talking about the Beijing Olympics? or Olympics in general?
Either ways, let me assure you Pakistan doesn't have a record to be proud of. Neither does India. But the latter has performed much much better. Lets not get into this territory. :kami

we have a boxing world champion and this guy

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AdsXE5halWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

does india have a stronger man than this guy

does pakistanis have a gutsy sport like this? i was searching in youtube and came across this sport. it stunned me. can pakistanis play this gutsy sport like these south indians???
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv2iqzJPSYM&feature=related

Last edited:
Why can't we just keep this to Varun Aaron, please? Personally, I am glad to see this lad bowl at 90+ mph. I remember Ashish :nehra used to bowl between 85-90 mph, but sad to see his pace drop. No need to bring in wrestling, olympics, bla bla bla into it... Too many thread's being closed on PP these days. It is usually my job to write stupid posts that get's deleted, look's like a lot of people wan't to istep in for me now :)

yes please, stick to discussing Varun Aaron, not kabaddi or the great Khali.

hhaah i told in in other thread that he is Afghan and it is not even Pakistan

Actually it is very rare footage of Michael Waugh performing his daily morning "light" cardio workout.
The proper one in said to involve bulldozers, tanks firing live ammunation and mortars invoving squirrels. Although this has never been confirmed.

lol, ek to yeh Micheal Waugh har jaga pohonch jaata hai :))

AfghanCricketFan: I have heard through an anonymous source that this gentlemen in the above video (who should remain unnamed) consumed two whole LIONS before taking part in this competition. Is it true?

Last edited:

Keep dreaming :gul

Varun Aaron - yet another future Indian genuine spinner. A billion plus people and yet not even a single bowler who can bowl faster than 150kmh. They have to rig the speed guns in order to appease the public and feel better about themselves. I am confident in my prediction that this Varun lad will end up in the high 120s in a few years. Keep on dreaming our friends to the east.

Varun Aaron - yet another future Indian genuine spinner. A billion plus people and yet not even a single bowler who can bowl faster than 150kmh. They have to rig the speed guns in order to appease the public and feel better about themselves. I am confident in my prediction that this Varun lad will end up in the high 120s in a few years. Keep on dreaming our friends to the east.

What's the use of 150Kmh when you can't stick to line and length?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AaR9Su1Va0

his bowling action permits pace by the looks of it...looks like a very good prospect

michael waugh would be proud

the quickest bowler at our cricket club here sure is indian :)...easily early 80s and its uni cricket also hes only 18

Last edited:
Michael waugh wont be happy with anything under 165KPH..once this deamon makes his international debut and is measured

no speedgun in the world can measure michael waughs speed though? him bowling was the cause of the big bang!

no you cant measure michael waugh. but you can measure his protege aka Varun Aaron

well lets hope he can deliver the goods...we dont want him to conveniantly <b>"dissapear" </b> like atul sharma ( michael waugh was displeased and disposed of him or so the skies screeched )

my first question is why isant tape ball cricket popular in india

and secondly why cant you produce 1 fast bolwer (145+) ?

i will answer it myself you say that it has nothing to do with genes but it must come on you cant produce 1 fast bowler yet have a population of 1.2 billion and the most money in the cricketing world.

all im asking for is one fast bowler yet a population of 1.2 billion cant evan produce one fast bowler just one

it must be something to do with genes

not every indian kid wants to be a batsman im sure at least a million want to be bowlers

a million is nothing out of 1.2 billion evan new zealand can produce fast bowlers with a population of 4 million or so

Firstly a large part of the population is female.
Out of the males, a very large number live in poverty, I think becoming the next daay bowling sensation is the last thing on their mind. Then the people who can afford it have parents who want to ensure their child is a doctor, engineer or some I.T. nerd, so they very rarely will be playing cricket or taking it seriously, so let's dispel this 'not a single bowler in this 1.2m population' nonsense

my gues would be that he will be similar bowler to a sreesanth in terms of speed for longer period.

He does not seem to have a frame that would sustain fast bowling for too long.

He just needs to stay away from MRF Academy and IPL to keep up and improve on the hunger for pace and speed. MRF Academy will mess up his action by slowing him down and make him concentrate on lame line and length and IPL will mess up his head with all the money and disco.

If I am not mistaken, Munaf and Ishant were bowling in mid 140k too early in their careers, but what happened later was the typical trend of Indian bowlers.

It's not the meat, it's not the tape ball, it's not the idolizing batsmen like Sachin for not producing genuine quickies, but simple hunger for pace, determination and hard work which always seems lacking in Indian pacers.

my gues would be that he will be similar bowler to a sreesanth in terms of speed for longer period.

He does not seem to have a frame that would sustain fast bowling for too long.

What do you call Malinga then ?

his bowling action permits pace by the looks of it...looks like a very good prospect

michael waugh would be proud

the quickest bowler at our cricket club here sure is indian :)...easily early 80s and its uni cricket also hes only 18

same, had a Punjabi bloke in our univ days, was built like an ox, and was damn quick.

One thing I dont understand, Why people so much emphasize and make hue and cry on pace. Its all about accuracy,wicket taking abilities and above all ,a good cricketing brain.
What is the use of Pace when a player has to retire without showing his full potential or he can not play all the formats of the game or he is dropped from his team for fitness issues/inaccuracy. Unfortunately the list goes on and on with names like Brett Lee,Shaun Tait,Shane Bond,Shoaib Akhtar, Mohd. Sami etc.

History is full of those successful bowlers in the likes of Glenn Mcgrath,Wasim Akram,Chaminda vaas,Jason Gillespie, Shaun Pollock, Makhaya Ntini etc. who were moderate in pace but accurate and efficient enough to rule the batsmen

An article on him:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/th...-wi.../758491/

Kicking up a puff of dust, the leather tore through the top soil, fizzing its way past the batsman for a dot ball. But somewhere down his lengthy follow-through, Varun Aaron knew that he had done something bordering on the incredible. While the rest of his Jharkhand team-mates walked back to their fielding positions in anticipation of more action from the next delivery, the fast bowler stared long and hard at batter Niraj Patel, who smiled back in approval.

Later in the evening, Patel would be told that he had faced the fastest ball bowled by an Indian, ever.

Patel’s shouldering arm routine may not have done much to justify the feat, nor did the widish line of the ball outside off-stump from Aaron. But in front of a spectator-less Holkar Stadium in Indore during the Vijay Hazare Trophy final between Jharkhand and Gujarat — with the overshadowing cricket World Cup as the backdrop — the 21-year-old tear-away quick had kicked up more than just a puff of dust. It was a storm gathering at 153 kmph.

“From the moment I released it, I knew I had done something special. It was fantastic to get the speed gun’s approval. The others may be shocked at the 153 kmph speed, but it wasn’t much of a surprise to me. I constantly bowl above the 140 mark,” says Aaron.

Parthiv Patel, who was captaining Gujarat in the game, agrees. “He is a fiercely quick bowler, as fast as any I’ve faced at the international level. Niraj, who faced the ball, was quite amazed. It’s hard to bowl that fast consistently, but Varun constantly zips it in the high 140s,” says Parthiv, who recently faced Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel at their peak in South Africa.

But could the speed gun have doled out a wrong reading? “Those who were bowling at 120 were recorded at 120. It didn’t go wrong with the spinners or the medium pacers, so why should it only go wrong with Aaron? There’s always room for scientific error, but the speed gun was accurate,” reasons Amitabh Choudhary, president of the Jharkhand State Cricket Association.

Registered at 95.63 mph, Aaron is still a few miles short of the mythical three-figure barrier, but the strapping lad has come closer to it than any other Indian bowler — past, present, domestic or international — has before. He may not be in the same bracket as the Taits, Akhtars and Lees of the world, but with age on his side, Aaron is a mouth-watering prospect for the speed-starved Indian fans.

And unlike the many who promised much and delivered at the low 130s, the Jharkhand lad has the guarantee of a speed-gun reading. While the likes of Munaf Patel, VRV Singh, Umesh Yadav, Abhimanyu Mithun and Jaidev Unadkat (to name a few) smacked the spotlight for being reported to have cometed furious speeds at nervous batsmen in the domestic circuit, a stint with international cricket more or less brainwashed them into concentrating on the dreaded ‘line and length.’ But Aaron swears that he is not going to go down the same path. Speaking in a tongue reserved for tearaway quicks, the confident Aaron says: “Fast bowling is my strength and nothing is going to stop me from bowling faster. I’m not going to make the mistake of forgetting my strengths when I’m under pressure for a place in the team. If I really had to concentrate on line and length, I would have done it last year after suffering two stress fractures to my back. I wouldn’t have pushed myself despite the injuries if I wanted to be a control bowler.”

The signs are all there. The early age stress fractures are the scars of any genuinely quick bowler, if Pakistan bowling coach Aaquib Javed is to be believed. “The positives of getting a stress fracture at an early age for a quick bowler is that once the player has recovered, he will only grow from strength to strength as his body develops. That’s what I told Mohammad Amir when he recovered. Any great bowler that Pakistan has produced has dealt with it early in life,” says Javed.

By conventional wisdom, Aaron claims he has already taken the requisite technical steps to ensure the stress fracture doesn’t recur. “I used to tilt to my left during the run-up. The load on one side caused the damage. Now I’ve corrected it, and run absolutely straight towards the popping crease,” he assures.

The corrective measures, though, were a tad too late as far as IPL III was concerned, as the injuries saw him miss out on playing for the Kolkata Knight Riders—a dream for the Jamshedpur-born boy whose parents moved to the steel city from Bangalore in the 80s.

While he may have missed grabbing onto the eye-catching platform (surely would’ve been a greater advertisement for his art than his 25 wickets from 11 first-class games) Aaron did manage to turn the important heads of consultant Wasim Akram, coach Dav Whatmore and assistant coach Vijay Dahiya, just like he had in the MRF Pace Academy and the Australian Institute of Sports in 2008 with his high energy bursts during net sessions. TA Sekhar, who worked with Aaron at MRF, is also amongst his long list of fans. “I was the one who selected him at a very young age. He was less than 15 then, and was very quick for his age. Initially, he had a bit of a mixed action, which was open at the hips but closed at the shoulders. I helped him correct that, and now he bowls front-on,” says Sekhar. While wrapping Aaron in cotton wool is one option, unleashing him on opponents is another. Indian skipper and Jharkhand state-mate MS Dhoni is a believer in the latter. “I haven’t seen much of him, but from what I’ve heard, Aaron is great news for Indian cricket. It is also satisfying to know that Jharkhand has now produced a fast bowler of quality. The future is a bright one for Aaron,” says Dhoni.

An article on him:

Kicking up a puff of dust, the leather tore through the top soil, fizzing its way past the batsman for a dot ball. But somewhere down his lengthy follow-through, Varun Aaron knew that he had done something bordering on the incredible. While the rest of his Jharkhand team-mates walked back to their fielding positions in anticipation of more action from the next delivery, the fast bowler stared long and hard at batter Niraj Patel, who smiled back in approval.

Later in the evening, Patel would be told that he had faced the fastest ball bowled by an Indian, ever.

Patel’s shouldering arm routine may not have done much to justify the feat, nor did the widish line of the ball outside off-stump from Aaron. But in front of a spectator-less Holkar Stadium in Indore during the Vijay Hazare Trophy final between Jharkhand and Gujarat — with the overshadowing cricket World Cup as the backdrop — the 21-year-old tear-away quick had kicked up more than just a puff of dust. It was a storm gathering at 153 kmph.

“From the moment I released it, I knew I had done something special. It was fantastic to get the speed gun’s approval. The others may be shocked at the 153 kmph speed, but it wasn’t much of a surprise to me. I constantly bowl above the 140 mark,” says Aaron.

Parthiv Patel, who was captaining Gujarat in the game, agrees. “He is a fiercely quick bowler, as fast as any I’ve faced at the international level. Niraj, who faced the ball, was quite amazed. It’s hard to bowl that fast consistently, but Varun constantly zips it in the high 140s,” says Parthiv, who recently faced Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel at their peak in South Africa.

But could the speed gun have doled out a wrong reading? “Those who were bowling at 120 were recorded at 120. It didn’t go wrong with the spinners or the medium pacers, so why should it only go wrong with Aaron? There’s always room for scientific error, but the speed gun was accurate,” reasons Amitabh Choudhary, president of the Jharkhand State Cricket Association.

Registered at 95.63 mph, Aaron is still a few miles short of the mythical three-figure barrier, but the strapping lad has come closer to it than any other Indian bowler — past, present, domestic or international — has before. He may not be in the same bracket as the Taits, Akhtars and Lees of the world, but with age on his side, Aaron is a mouth-watering prospect for the speed-starved Indian fans.

And unlike the many who promised much and delivered at the low 130s, the Jharkhand lad has the guarantee of a speed-gun reading. While the likes of Munaf Patel, VRV Singh, Umesh Yadav, Abhimanyu Mithun and Jaidev Unadkat (to name a few) smacked the spotlight for being reported to have cometed furious speeds at nervous batsmen in the domestic circuit, a stint with international cricket more or less brainwashed them into concentrating on the dreaded ‘line and length.’ But Aaron swears that he is not going to go down the same path. Speaking in a tongue reserved for tearaway quicks, the confident Aaron says: “Fast bowling is my strength and nothing is going to stop me from bowling faster. I’m not going to make the mistake of forgetting my strengths when I’m under pressure for a place in the team. If I really had to concentrate on line and length, I would have done it last year after suffering two stress fractures to my back. I wouldn’t have pushed myself despite the injuries if I wanted to be a control bowler.”

The signs are all there. The early age stress fractures are the scars of any genuinely quick bowler, if Pakistan bowling coach Aaquib Javed is to be believed. “The positives of getting a stress fracture at an early age for a quick bowler is that once the player has recovered, he will only grow from strength to strength as his body develops. That’s what I told Mohammad Amir when he recovered. Any great bowler that Pakistan has produced has dealt with it early in life,” says Javed.

By conventional wisdom, Aaron claims he has already taken the requisite technical steps to ensure the stress fracture doesn’t recur. “I used to tilt to my left during the run-up. The load on one side caused the damage. Now I’ve corrected it, and run absolutely straight towards the popping crease,” he assures.

The corrective measures, though, were a tad too late as far as IPL III was concerned, as the injuries saw him miss out on playing for the Kolkata Knight Riders—a dream for the Jamshedpur-born boy whose parents moved to the steel city from Bangalore in the 80s.

While he may have missed grabbing onto the eye-catching platform (surely would’ve been a greater advertisement for his art than his 25 wickets from 11 first-class games) Aaron did manage to turn the important heads of consultant Wasim Akram, coach Dav Whatmore and assistant coach Vijay Dahiya, just like he had in the MRF Pace Academy and the Australian Institute of Sports in 2008 with his high energy bursts during net sessions. TA Sekhar, who worked with Aaron at MRF, is also amongst his long list of fans. “I was the one who selected him at a very young age. He was less than 15 then, and was very quick for his age. Initially, he had a bit of a mixed action, which was open at the hips but closed at the shoulders. I helped him correct that, and now he bowls front-on,” says Sekhar. While wrapping Aaron in cotton wool is one option, unleashing him on opponents is another. Indian skipper and Jharkhand state-mate MS Dhoni is a believer in the latter. “I haven’t seen much of him, but from what I’ve heard, Aaron is great news for Indian cricket. It is also satisfying to know that Jharkhand has now produced a fast bowler of quality. The future is a bright one for Aaron,” says Dhoni.

Excellent hopefully we will see him in Indian colours soon..

An article on him:

tiiPatel’s shouldering arm routine may not have done much to justify the feat, nor did the widish line of the ball outside off-stump from Aaron. But in front of a spectator-less Holkar Stadium in Indore during the Vijay Hazare Trophy final between Jharkhand and Gujarat — with the overshadowing cricket World Cup as the backdrop — the 21-year-old tear-away quick had kicked up more than just a puff of dust. It was a storm gathering at 153 kmph.

too much hype around the guy..its just one bowl at 153 amidst others at 138-145

people need to lay of him and stop with the hype

Im always up for an express pace bowler regardless of his nationality.

Im pretty sure that Varun has been overhyped by Indians and wont be a regular 150+kmh bowler but Ill be happy if we can get to see a 145k bowler atleast. For me there's no better sight in cricket than an express pacer shattering the stumps after delivering a breathtaking yorker.

I just hope that IPL Tmasha and over coaching on the part of the Indian management does not turn this exciting talent into another military medium line and length trundler which the Indian team is so gloriously blessed in

hes not what they think he is..but lets hope he is..at max he will be umar gul speed. however if he can swing it as well india will be well served

@pakprince he is just 21 and has bowled 153.aamir too bowled 151 but that was in australia where everyone clocks fast.he is not in umar gul category.he is consistently faster than styen, morkel and malinga. today his average speed was 144 kph, fastest 148

hes not what they think he is..but lets hope he is..at max he will be umar gul speed. however if he can swing it as well india will be well served

Umar gul rarely bowl 145. varun consistently bowls at that speed

5/47 in a domestic one dayer today. The lad is slowly ticking all the right boxes.

Needs to remain fit, focussed and keep working hard on his bowling. He is another few good performances away from a place in the national team.

Will play for Delhi Daredevils in the IPL post the WC. I hope Sehwag encourages him to go flat out without worrying about anything. He needs encouragement not to curb his natural strength which is to bowl fast and try to improve on the speed.

Last edited:
@indiancricketfan yeah..He must try to bowl as fast as he can and get his line and length with that pace because that is the way to improve on his pace..If he will control himself he jay not improve on his speeds..I would want hom to bowl more 95.63 mph's

Look forward to see more of him. Maybe we'll be finding a genius young batsmen soon :ahmed

@pakprince he is just 21 and has bowled 153.aamir too bowled 151 but that was in australia where everyone clocks fast.he is not in umar gul category.he is consistently faster than styen, morkel and malinga. today his average speed was 144 kph, fastest 148

aamir bowled 151 at the age of 17 would have been faster at 21

Gul has also bowled at 150kph speed several times he can clock 145kph consistently when he wants

but i agree this guy looks quicker than gul but i dont think he's quicker than steyn who has hit 156 in this world cup and has been bowling 145-150 through out his career varoon has bowled only one 153k delivery its not like he has been clocking 153k consistently

Last edited:
My dream of an Indian Shoib,, well closer to anyway..

doesnt look even close to that speed

he's 140-150k bowler at his peak

shoaib was 150-160k at his peak

he's infact a bit slower than Mohammad sami (at his peak)

doesnt look even close to that speed

he's 140-150k bowler at his peak
shoaib was 150-160k at his peak

he's infact a bit slower than Mohammad sami (at his peak)

Sambhal ke bhai, the lad is starting out, is some time away from his peak!! :sami

Sambhal ke bhai, the lad is starting out, is some time away from his peak!! :sami

well most of the bowlers specially indian bowlers are at their peak (pace wise ) when they are starting

one more thing express pace is not a thing that can be taught if you read my post carefully i have said he is quick without any doubt but he will never be in the same bracket as lee , tait or akhtar

Sami was at least 150-155 at his peak and was consistently 145k+ si ithink this guy is a bit slower than that

NOTE: he is quite quick but not quick enuff to be compared to Akhtar , lee , tait or even sami (pace wise) . I dont mean to say sami was a good bowler

Back