Vernon Philander Discussion Thread

Great start to his Test Career. Well done!

Having said that he has been bowling on very good bowler friendly wickets. His real Test will be when he bowls on flatter tracks.

He keeps taking wickets.

Bowling average - 13

Very good performance from Vernon to limit New Zealand. Most importantly, it came alongside the typical non-performance of Tahir and the untypical non-performance of Steyn. I always think coming to the party on an ordinary day at the office for the other bowlers is the mark of quality.

Philander should thrive in conditions in Kiwiland, his 1st inns bowling spell was excellent. Good control and pretty much troubled all the batsmen he bowled to.

He is much better than Morkel for sure.

He will play Test cricket for a good 4 or 5 years.

His method of working Batsmen out kind of reminds me of Asif

Great bowler to watch. On paper SA should be unbeatable to be honest

Could this guy do the unthinkable & keep his average down at 13-15 for a whole career?

Could this guy do the unthinkable & keep his average down at 13-15 for a whole career?

Nah I think the law of averages will catch up with him. If he keeps this up for another year or so though, then he should finish with a career average of 20-25.

What I think is good for the team is that there is now competition for wickets between Steyn, Morkel and Philander. Since Philander started he's been leading the way, which would force Steyn and Morkel to up their performances.

Steyn seems to be the one missing out on the big hauls lately.

His average now is excellent , but realistically that average would go up .... as he continues playing more test matches. There is no doubt about the fact that he cannot maintain that kind of average after say 30 Test Matches.

first time ive seen non highlight bowling of vernon philander and agree with people he is very similar to asif, wobbly seam, line and length bowling at 80 odd mph.

will be a handful on friendly wickets, still think he lacks the pace to be truly penetrative on flat asian pitches. very good bowler and amazing prospect though.

Well he's picked up 4 more wickets today. Both pitches so far in this series have been flat and dead.

the series in england is gonna be a cracker,,
both sides hve the best bowling attacks in the world

The Vern has 6 in this match so far, a few more and he might reach 50 in the next match.

I said from the First Test match this guy was a special Test bowler.

He reminds me very much of Pollock/Asif type of bowler - accurate on off-stump as well as getting the ball to nip both ways.

Really enjoy watching his bowling.

hasnt proven me wrong yet. his average might take a beating in sc but still 40 odd wkts in 6 tests. who needs luck? #ishant

The last team any fast bowlers performances should be judged against is the Kiwis. They are pretty **** poor at playing pass bowling.

In saying that philander has been impressive will be interesting to see how he goes against england this summer.

Well he has played OZ, SL and Kikiwis now. That is a pretty good sample.

5th 5-fer and 2nd 10-fer in 6 matches. Well done to the Vern.

South Africans, give this guy to India for the sake of Gandhi-Mendela connection :23:

This guy's a gem.

Needs 5 more wickets to be the fastest to reach 50 in over a hundred years the all time fastest is 6 matches and 2nd fastest is 7 matches. But they were done when test matches started being played over 100 years ago

Lets see how he does on non green pitches. In UAE, Pakistan & especially Hafeez exposed Steyn shamelessly.

Lets see how he does on non green pitches. In UAE, Pakistan & especially Hafeez exposed Steyn shamelessly.

Nobody cares how he bowls on the subcontinent except people from the subcontinent. When Ajmal was destroying England, nobody was saying "let's see how he bowls in England, Aus and SA". And that goes for any good spinner from the subcontinent.

I can't believe this is the same guy who was being whacked in the 2007 T20 WC (the first time I saw him). Is he on track to become the fastest bowler to take 50 Test wickets?

All these helpful wickets and then he goes to England where it may be even better for him :O

. When Ajmal was destroying England, nobody was saying "let's see how he bowls in England, Aus and SA". And that goes for any good spinner from the subcontinent.

There are plenty of people who were saying exactly that.

Reminds me of Mohd Asif with his tight line & length...

lol@ all the comments of him being average on the first page.

It's pretty obvious this guy is a quality bowler. Brilliant control, exceptional line and length, decent pace, swings it both ways, reverse swings it and has a good cricketing brain.

He also looks a strong chap who can bowl 25 overs in a day steaming in. He's also a decent lower order batsmen.

The second test pitch wasn't exactly a green top, it was a good batting surface but he still ripped through the kiwi's taking 6 wickets.

If he finds swinging conditions in England he will destroy the England batting line up or any other line up for that matter in such conditions.

Reminds me of Mohd Asif with his tight line & length...

Asif proved himself all over the world ...lets see how Philander does outside his comfort zone of green pitches...will he turn out to another Dale Steyn who was thrashed like a rag doll by Pakistan in UAE and averaged 45+

Asif proved himself all over the world ...lets see how Philander does outside his comfort zone of green pitches...will he turn out to another Dale Steyn who was thrashed like a rag doll by Pakistan in UAE and averaged 45+

can't judge Steyn in one series. Steyn averages 20 in India, same as Mc Grath. The guy can play on all surfaces.

I don't believe Philander will get tonked in the sub-continent as some are saying. This guy has a tremendous bowling attitude. The reason for his extraordinary low bowling average is not just his ability to bowl wicket-taking deliveries in every spell, but his ability to not bowl boundary balls which release pressure. He'll keep it there on that good/back of a length just outside off stump and plan a set of balls coming in and going away. Eventually he succeeds.

Asif had the capability to bowl some magical deliveries that maybe Philander doesn't. But IMO Philander's control + ability to move the ball both ways has been better than anyone since the great Mcgrath.

Last edited:

your statement is as silly as someone saying asif was rubbish because he averaged 40+ in pak. Asif never bowled in tests in india, bangladesh or the west indies, so again your statement about him proving himself all over the world is rubbish.

the point is asif was a great bowler becaused anyone who saw him bowl could tell he was, like steyn, not because they found one statistical weakness and inferred he was a green track bully like you are implying about steyn.

Having looked at his first class career it's shocking this guy didn't make the team earlier.

Check these out. :O

77 matches

307 wickets

Average 18.91

20 - 4 wicket hauls, 14 - 5w, 2 - 10w.

Last edited:

Says an Afridi fan :facepalm:

Warne was terrible in India..what have you got to say about that? Yet he is still considered the best spin bowler in the world- and rightly so.

Asif averaged 42 in Pakistan and 35 in Australia. I guess that must make him crap.

^ I don't think he understands any point actually. He is spreading propaganda only :D

Trying to see Philander off is batting suicide. And for those saying he is not going to make it in the sc, i think only time will tell. But he has a good skillset already.

Seems good at the moment but would be interesting to see how he fairs in sub-continent conditions/pitches.

Already picked up 3 of 4 Kiwi wickets

Unbelievable career so far. 48 wickets at under 14.

Whever you see him bowl he looks good but not anything special but his record is extraordinary and he has done it consistently enough now for it not to be a fluke or flash in the pan

Stunning! He is the best bowler in South Africa apart from Steyn. I agree that Dale hasn't been up to the usual super-fantastic standards of late but his record has still been rock solid, he's just been unusually overshadowed by the extraordinary performances of Philander. They'll make a great duo in the English summer and might just win South Africa the series.

Yet another 5 wicket haul.

51 wickets in 6.5 matches at 13. Unbelievable.

He is getting so many wickets, its not easy , other bowlers are also bowling on those surfaces.

Stunning! He is the best bowler in South Africa apart from Steyn. I agree that Dale hasn't been up to the usual super-fantastic standards of late but his record has still been rock solid, he's just been unusually overshadowed by the extraordinary performances of Philander. They'll make a great duo in the English summer and might just win South Africa the series.

I don't think so! If south Africa are to win the series in England, one the big guys will have to do it for them: Smith, Kallis, Steyn.
Philander will be taken apart by KP!

The guy is officially a freak! Six 6wkt hauls in 7 matches??!!

Well done to the Vern! If he keeps going at the same rate then he'll become the fastest to 100.

Incredible record. All comments asking for him to perform in the SC before he can get praise are in bad taste. His bowling philosophy is one which should should apply in all countries against all opposition in test cricket. Even if it doesn't, the fact that he's been outshining Steyn and Morkel for 7 consecutive matches should provide enough reason to praise him.

philander will get wickets even inthe sub contient as he bowls line n length

Incredible record. All comments asking for him to perform in the SC before he can get praise are in bad taste. His bowling philosophy is one which should should apply in all countries against all opposition in test cricket. Even if it doesn't, the fact that he's been outshining Steyn and Morkel for 7 consecutive matches should provide enough reason to praise him.

Perfectly surmised.

I also disagree with the user that said KP will take Vernon apart. KP is a very good player of seam bowling but, if anything, it is the metronomes rather than the speedsters he can struggle against. KP isn't patient enough. Asif and Stuart Clark gave him plenty of issues.

Last edited:
Why would he care about playing in the subcontinent. He is SA if he plays 100 matches 50 will be in SA out of the remaining 50 about 35 will be in Eng, Aus, NZ, Zim, Bangladesh and WI where he will get wickets either because of conditions or weak opposition. So that leaves 15 matches against Pak, Ind, SL out of that he will take wickets against us on dead tracks.

He is competing with 19th century cricketers in terms of stat's at the moment no body has that.
Spofforth, Lohman,Grimmet etc.

Back