Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
14 wickets in 2 tests

Just got another 5fer, his second in two tests. Good find for South Africa :19:
139348.jpg

Last edited:
Line and length bowler, reminds me of Asif.

Here is what Bumble thinks:

Philander and Praveen Kumar very similar ...good, repeating actions and accurate

Philander would be hammered outside SA. He is good only when ball is moving.... a poor mans anderson at the most.

enjoy it while lasts Verne, you won't get pitches like these ever again.

credit to him though, bowled well in the series.

Hardly a discovery, he played ODIs for them a few years back.

Has come leaps and bounds since then by the looks of things though.

enjoy it while lasts Verne, you won't get pitches like these ever again.

credit to him though, bowled well in the series.

I recall people saying that about Steyn, while hyping up Mitchell Johnson, yet look at where they are now.

It's a bit too early to tell now, but he's improved a lot since he played those ODIs a while back. He's developed into a Shaun Pollock-type allrounder, and he's been the leading wicket-taker in domestic cricket for the past 2 years.

Unexpected performance from philander.well bowled:14:

Last edited:
He bowled well in admittedly helpful conditions. I remember Philander's two dropped catches v India in the 2007 WT20--South Africa and Pakistan had looked the best sides but that drop helped turn things India's way :pissed:

his going to be hand full in the future,
i think he has what it takes to be a decent successfull bowler

Good performance but pitch has had a lot in it Lets c how he performs outside sa

^Non sense or whatever, we beat you at it and in a thumping manner. 3-0 in bowl out was probably the greatest moment in Indo-Pak Cricket for me :kapil

No you beat us once, the other one was a tie(the bowl out nonsense doesn't count)

LK ..

that bowl out is one of the funniest thing in our rivalry :))).
When Sehwag opened, we were like wth and why not the bowlers,
and all were shouting when uthappa came to bowl but he did hit the stumps:D

but on the other hand :arafat:gul:afridi

LK ..

^Non sense or whatever, we beat you at it and in a thumping manner. 3-0 in bowl out was probably the greatest moment in Indo-Pak Cricket for me :kapil

We have bigger hearts thats why we let you win in the bowl out:afridi

he looks like carlton from fresh prince....he is mediocre imo

LK ..

it is etched in the record books as a tie. As LK have said, we let you win the bowl-out coz we have bigger hearts :afridi

As for Philander, he certainly look vastly improved bowler but it remains to be seen how well he bowls in less helpful conditions. He has certainly sealed his spot ahead of Tsotsobe

I recall people saying that about Steyn, while hyping up Mitchell Johnson, yet look at where they are now.

It's a bit too early to tell now, but he's improved a lot since he played those ODIs a while back. He's developed into a Shaun Pollock-type allrounder, and he's been the leading wicket-taker in domestic cricket for the past 2 years.

don't see that special ability in him to be quite honest.

will get absolutely murdered on Asian wickets.

Not sure Why some are saying he is mediocre him as he is accurate and hits the seam regularly. I think at Test level he should will be a good asset for SA for a few years to come.

don't see that special ability in him to be quite honest.

will get absolutely murdered on Asian wickets.

Didn't say that he was special, just that he's improved a lot. He bowls with great seam movement too, constantly hitting the deck off the seam.

Send him over to sub continent and will see how good he is when ball doesnt bounce or move around as much as in S.A

Mediocre?
Decent figures for a mediocre bowler. Wasn`t Aamer hyped to the hilt by bowling in similiar conditions in England?
I agree greater tests remain but looks decent on tracks with a bit of juice.

He swings the ball nicely, surely better than Tsotsobe but then they're attack might become one dimensional with no leftie. Should probably drop Tahir and bring in Harris back.

Hasn't he promised that he will get a 5er in every game he plays?

Love the arrogance.

Looks like Ntini (or am I being racist)?

I don't like Philander (comes across as way too cocky for one thing) but I have to admit he's a good bowler, especially in helpful conditions; he averages below 20 in FC and South Africa's standards are quite telling too.

He's also a good solid batsman, can give the ball a whack but is strong in defence as well. I miss Andrew Hall/Lance Klusener/Shaun Pollock though, I liked them a lot.

so much nonsense being spewed over here. he is a good bowler has done well and people questioning his attitude.

i dont care if he is like tiger woods outside offthe field. he is a good bowler. lets see what he does on flatter terrains. but for the time being very promising.

Third 5fer in as many tests. One for the future surely! Steyn, Morne, Philander, deadly trio in tests at least!

Don't rate him.

15 wickets in 3 test matches against top opposition (10 vs AUS)

still not rate him :yk

If he was Pakistani there were would have been 100 threads on him and ppl would have call him the next Akram or Bradman of balling :yk

Best bowler by far on show today, was excellent with his length...deserved 5fer.

He's bowling on green tops, will reserve my judgement until he bowls in a test match away from SA

he seems to be one of those bowlers who seem easy and look non-threatening when they are bowling but always end up with wickets at the end of the innings!

It doesn't matter if he bowls on green tops - you still have to hit the seam regularly and bowl good lines and lengths. Hes got 5 wickets again today - he will be tested on flatter tracks but I reckon he will do reasonably well.

Just because he doesn't have pace, one can't call him mediocre!! :facepalm:

If he can reverse swing it, he will be still very vital in SC.

He doesnt need to bowl at pace cause he has other attributes to get him wickets.

Pace is way over rated these days.

He doesnt need to bowl at pace cause he has other attributes to get him wickets.

Pace is way over rated these days.

Yup, exactly.

Even Dale Steyn doesn't averages 145+km/hr where his 135-140 km/hr outswingers from middle to off are unplayable. (may be with only that speed perfect outswinger can be bowled.)

A seriously impressive start, but the greatest tests always come away from home.

He actually bowls with decent pace 140-145, swings it both ways, v.good control and runs in hard all day long. Very good inclusion by the Saffers, far better than Ttosobe.

He has that attribute that does look impressive to the viewer from afar like the Dali, the mustache not the guy. From afar it looks like a normal good length delivery\handle bar mustache (if you are still following the metaphor) but once you get into close proximity of the beast you realize what was not visible to you before. It nibbles (both the ball and the mustache).

looks good so far and consistent performances against good/better batting teams

Lets get him on a nice flat pancake in India or in UAE and will see how much venom hes got. Excellent start to his career but lets not get carried away here!

S.A Bowlers like Ntini looked world class in S.A conditions but were mediocre away from home in past. So lets see if philander is any different?

He's certainly pushed out Tsotsobe for the position of third seamer.

So why are people criticising Philander, but praising England's bowlers despite not proving themselves in the subcontinent either?

Just taken the wicket of Matthews, bowling pretty well here. Just squared up Matthews. 3-23 for Philander now. I like the look of him on SA pitches however I do think on sub-continent pitches in India/SL he will not have a fraction of the success he has had so far.

He gets a lot of movement. Could he get another 5-fer? Currently got 3 wickets + can anyone show me the interview where he said he wants to get a 5-fer EVERY single game he plays?

let us see what he does in subcontinent. but methinks, he will be fine. maybe average 27-28. he has excellent control. i wish him the best of luck..except vs the kiwis.

Philander will be the next big thing in cricket after steyn. This guy totally has it.

Why does everyone keep bringing in the subcontinent argument - obviously the pitches will be dead as pancakes (in some cases they are graveyards for fast bowlers) so he will not get the same movement but he does get bounce and he is very accurate..

I will tell you 1 thing, already he is a class above the over rated Morne Morkel.

He looks ok, but something missing in his bowling, I think he will soon be found out like Mendis was...

there is no mystery in his bowling. just good line and length bowling with decent pace and some movement.
he is like a faster praveen kumar. nobody knows how these dudes get wickets but boy are they good.

^ more than a little movement I'd say, seaming it all over the place.

^ more than a little movement I'd say, seaming it all over the place.

yeah in helpful conditions, he is even more lethal much like pk. but even without much help, he would be a handful.

Well done Vernon! Probably the best test career start as a Saffer by far. One thing I love about sport is that you can fail first time around (e.g. Vernon didn't do that well at ODI) and go back and sort things out and play at provincial level until you are ready to try again. Com ing back and debuting at tests he has been brilliant.

Amla did the same thing with his test career and is a star.

Mohammed Asif v2? Also delivers with a wobbly seam, hence hard to pick up.

Back