[VIDEO] Ex-Pakistan Opener Saeed Anwar "Shaitan Hindu sai bhee bhag gaya"

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/kmi69o" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Below article is from Zee News but watch the video and make up your mind as to what he actually said

Former Pakistan Cricket captain Saeed Anwar has made a stinging attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi for stopping his speech during ‘Azaan’ (call to prayer for Muslims) and described him as a devil (Shaitan). The former Pakistani cricketer has also slammed Union Home Minister Amit Shah who also briefly halted his speech out of respect for ‘Azaan’ while addressing an election rally last year.

A video has been shared by a verified Twitter handle Pakistan Untold which shows Anwar delivering a sermon before a huge gathering at an unknown location and taking a swipe at PM Modi and Shah for their past gestures of stopping their speech which coincided with Azaan.

In the video, Anwar can be heard saying, "It doesn't matter how many times you stop your speech for Azan, you will remain a Satan-possessed Hindu."

The tweet, which comes at a time when Pakistan has been grappling with a serious economic crisis and acute food shortage, has evoked sharp reactions from Twitter users, who have slammed the former Pakistani cricketer for insulting PM Modi – a democratically elected leader.

PM Narendra Modi, who had earlier refused to wear a skull cap offered by some Muslim leaders, had paused his speech after hearing the call for ‘Azaan’ from a nearby mosque while addressing a rally in Gujarat.

Similarly, Union Home Minister Amit Shah also briefly stopped his speech during a rally in Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla district as 'Azaan' (Muslim call to prayer) was going on at a nearby mosque last year.

Both PM Modi and Shah were hailed by the public, attracting a huge round of applause from them and chanting of slogans for stopping their speech after hearing the Muslim call for prayer.

Saeed Anwar, a prolific left-handed batsman, is a retired former Pakistani captain for Tests and ODIs. An opening batsman and occasional slow left-arm orthodox bowler, Anwar played international cricket between 1989 and 2003.

https://zeenews.india.com/india/wat...-narendra-modi-calls-him-shaitan-2580485.html

Last edited:
In the video, Anwar can be heard saying, "It doesn't matter how many times you stop your speech for Azan, you will remain a Satan-possessed Hindu."

Speaks all there is needed.

Was a great Cricketer and then went sideways once he found the jamat. Has terrible views on women

I think there is a misunderstanding in terms of what he said.
"Azan, Shaitaan Hindu se bhi bhagha" means that even the devils leaves hindus when hearing the azan. Muslims believes that there are many shaitaans (devils/spirits) that whisper evils in your ear to do sins, he pointed out that Modi did something good while hearing the azan and this was due to the azan taking away the shaitaans that would whisper evil, and without that he did something good.

He wasn't calling Modi The Devil (Iblees).

Awful stuff right there. You can target Modi or BJP but why target a religion? Wonder how educated people in Pakistan tolerate such nonsense in 21st century? Then when others target Islam for being so insensitive towards else's faith, they get termed as Islamophobes.

If these people can't tolerate Hindus in India and call them Satan Possessed, just imagine the state of minorities actually living in Pakistan. What hell they may go through on a daily basis :facepalm:

A lesson for our Indian liberal brothers too who were jumping like boomerang during NRC and crying why Muslim's were excluded from the bill.

Just to additionally point out, any person with basic hindi and urdu comprehension can tell he was clearly saying that the "shaitaan ran away from the hindu", not "you will remain a satan possessed hindu". Its very clear and it appears that Indians have translated wrong on purpose to create controversy to fuel their Islamophobic tirade.

OP I suggest you add that this is fake news and correct the translation or more importantly give more context to the video as no where did Saeed Anwar say those words that have been written in the article.

Awful stuff right there. You can target Modi or BJP but why target a religion? Wonder how educated people in Pakistan tolerate such nonsense in 21st century? Then when others target Islam for being so insensitive towards else's faith, they get termed as Islamophobes.

If these people can't tolerate Hindus in India and call them Satan Possessed, just imagine the state of minorities actually living in Pakistan. What hell they may go through on a daily basis :facepalm:

A lesson for our Indian liberal brothers too who were jumping like boomerang during NRC and crying why Muslim's were excluded from the bill.

So one random ex cricketer is now ‘Pakistan’?

Want people to share quotes from some elected Indian representatives?

Just to additionally point out, any person with basic hindi and urdu comprehension can tell he was clearly saying that the "shaitaan ran away from the hindu", not "you will remain a satan possessed hindu". Its very clear and it appears that Indians have translated wrong on purpose to create controversy to fuel their Islamophobic tirade.

OP I suggest you add that this is fake news and correct the translation or more importantly give more context to the video as no where did Saeed Anwar say those words that have been written in the article.

Shaitaan ran away from Hindu, is that how he says about Muslims and Christians too?

It would be interesting to know how he says that phrase, and if its Shaitaan ran away from Muslim, then fair to Anwar he has been misquoted and he just likes to use religious terms.

Also it was Amit Shah’s PR brain that stopped, he saw the opportunity and took it , not the Azaan did anything for that man.

Last edited:
I met him once in Toronto in 90s.He was with his wife. They were walking holding hands and his wife wasn't in purdah either.

Later on i learnt that he was married only a some months back. Infact his and his wife's photos were on Indian cricket magazines that covered the series. I remember telling my friends about meeting him and showing that photo and the photo i took.

He came across as a very good natured educated person. Spoke good English, when i told him i am from India he spoke in urdu.

What happened to him?

I met him once in Toronto in 90s.He was with his wife. They were walking holding hands and his wife wasn't in purdah either.

Later on i learnt that he was married only a some months back. Infact his and his wife's photos were on Indian cricket magazines that covered the series. I remember telling my friends about meeting him and showing that photo and the photo i took.

He came across as a very good natured educated person. Spoke good English, when i told him i am from India he spoke in urdu.

What happened to him?
I believe you meet him before him joining the jamat. Yes I believe he has a degree in engineering . His daughter died and he found peace in religion. Then the jamat got a hold of him. . One hell of a cricketer

Only if listening to Azaan could fix Amit Shah or Nawaz Shareef… Saeed Bhai has lost his logic too.

Shaitaan ran away from Hindu, is that how he says about Muslims and Christians too?

It would be interesting to know how he says that phrase, and if its Shaitaan ran away from Muslim, then fair to Anwar he has been misquoted and he just likes to use religious terms.

Also it was Amit Shah’s PR brain that stopped, he saw the opportunity and took it , not the Azaan did anything for that man.

Muslims believe that everyone has a shaitaan (there being an individual shaitaan for each person that is living) whispering in your ears regardless if your Muslim or not. This shaitaans purpose is to pull on your desires to do misdeeds. Anwar's point seems to be that the Azan has effects on all shaitaan regardless if they are attached to hindus or muslims. That is why there was an emphasis on the hindu.

This seems to be context to his words, this is different to calling someone a shaitaan. He did not call Modi a shaitaan possessed hindu but merely someone that was not influenced by their shaitaan due to the azan.

What happened to him?

Tableeghi Jamat brainwashed him.

Saeed Anwar's daughter had passed away in the late 90s and the Tableeghi Jamat exploited his emotional vulnerability by brainwashing him.

Pakistan has many fake Mullahs and he's one of them.

What happened to him?

He became a Moulana.

Only if listening to Azaan could fix Amit Shah or Nawaz Shareef… Saeed Bhai has lost his logic too.

If only Modi and Amit Shah could understand Arabic. All they hear is someone singing in a language they don't understand. Completely flies above their head.

The 'shaitain' use is in these terms is common among muslims.

I.e during Ramadan we believe that Shaitain is chained and thats why we are able to do good deeds.

Or the Shaitaan runs from a house where the Quran is recited etc

Or Shaitan flows through the blood of all humans is a commonly quoted hadith.

Or people will say when a muslim misses fajr prayer the shaitan urinates in his ear.

Finally it is Islamic belief that when the Shaitan hears the azaan he flees. Anwar was only talking about the power of Azaan not belittling any Hindu.

Shame on Indian media for deliberately distorting Saeed.

It's one thing to call Modi a shaitan but a 'shaitan possessed Hindu' seems to be a slur against the larger hindu community. :98:

He is talking about the power of Azaan, not calling Modi a "Shaitan" or a "Shaitan posessed Hindu".

Don't have any time for these guys, Tableegh are the sort of organisation that put a nation to sleep.

wrong translation but it does not take away from the fact this was a demeaning comment about Hindus.

but thats how religious people are. You listen to the Evangelical christians talking in the US and it seems they only have two views, either you are a Jesus loving Christian, or you are a Godless hopeless person. There is no middle ground.

Religion preaching folks are extremists in my view, be it any religion. Their whole schtick is my God is right and what you believe in is wrong. So how do you expect them to be more civil towards other religions?

In the 90s Pakistan was much superior to India cricket. Then in 2001 Saeed Anwar joined with Tablighi and the Islamization of Pakistan team started with full support of other seniors like Inzamam , Saqlain Mushtaq, Mo Yousuf, Moin Khan, Shahid Afridi. The whole team started showing off their religiosity in public very frequently. Every tv interview wud be peppered with " Inshallah , Mashallah ". Players started growing big beards and praying on cricket grounds before matches

That was also the point when India started getting better than Pakistan in cricket. The tables started to change and H2H started to move in India's favour.

Wonder if it pure coincidence or the excessive religiosity within the Pakistan team also played a part ?

wrong translation but it does not take away from the fact this was a demeaning comment about Hindus.

but thats how religious people are. You listen to the Evangelical christians talking in the US and it seems they only have two views, either you are a Jesus loving Christian, or you are a Godless hopeless person. There is no middle ground.

Religion preaching folks are extremists in my view, be it any religion. Their whole schtick is my God is right and what you believe in is wrong. So how do you expect them to be more civil towards other religions?

This is true

Only thing is USA is mature society. Nobody cares about these evangelists. even Christians look at them as a nuisance

In the subcontinent with minority persecution a major issue - its better to avoid comments like these. It only emboldens extremists on both sides. Pretty sure most Pakistanis will be offended if Sachin or Ganguly makes similar comments on Islam

So celebrities need to be careful about their words

+1

If someone is going to preach religion, then person is extremist by default. They can hardly be expected to be civil towards other religion.

+1

If someone is going to preach religion, then person is extremist by default. They can hardly be expected to be civil towards other religion.

Except, he didn't say anything insulting about Hinduism, he was referring to the power of Azaan ( the Muslim call to prayer) chasing away the Shaitan (demon) from people.

Its funny we have people saying its wrong for Anwar to say what he said based on a mistranslation and acting as if he demeaned hindus.

Yet in their replies they denigrate Islam by implying that Anwars religiousity was a backward step, he was a better person when he had no beard and spoke English, how Islam is contributing to the downfall of Pakistan team and generally tarnishing religion with a bad brush.

You can't have it both ways.

I think there is a misunderstanding in terms of what he said.
"Azan, Shaitaan Hindu se bhi bhagha" means that even the devils leaves hindus when hearing the azan. Muslims believes that there are many shaitaans (devils/spirits) that whisper evils in your ear to do sins, he pointed out that Modi did something good while hearing the azan and this was due to the azan taking away the shaitaans that would whisper evil, and without that he did something good.

He wasn't calling Modi The Devil (Iblees).

The takeaway from this incident is the respect shown to another religion. That’s how logic dictates to look at it.

Say a Muslim/Christian goes to a Hindu persons house they will take out their shoes if they are in any religious space as that is a mark of respect in Hindu culture. That’s being respectful to the other person. Not because they are overwhelmed by Hinduism.

Saeed Anwar is a radical preacher type now. He used to be my fav Pakistani batsman during his time, anyway glad he found his peace as long as he doesn’t provoke others to disrupt it with such divisive statements.

Last edited:
came here wondering what this was about, heard the video and got even more confused.

ironic indians like to trumpet urdu as an indian language (which it is), but then have no understanding of the language at all.

for those interested, the excerpt in English would read:

"the indian prime minister put his mic down and stopped his speech for the azaan, the devil ran from the hindu, the devil ran from the prime minister"

he's implying the power of the azaan even made a hindu do something which was good from an Islamic pov.

hes not criticising anyone per se.

Except, he didn't say anything insulting about Hinduism, he was referring to the power of Azaan ( the Muslim call to prayer) chasing away the Shaitan (demon) from people.

I have no comment on Anwar.

I was just agreeing with a fellow poster about having a realistic expectations from religious preachers in general.

This is poor stuff from Anwar.

He was a great person, he is also educated, I believe has is a computer science engineer.

I believe you meet him before him joining the jamat. Yes I believe he has a degree in engineering . His daughter died and he found peace in religion. Then the jamat got a hold of him. . One hell of a cricketer

Saeed Anwar's daughter had passed away in the late 90s and the Tableeghi Jamat exploited his emotional vulnerability by brainwashing him.

I met him during the Sahara Cup in Toronto. We had travelled from India to watch the matches. This was in 1997 i think.

Isn't this jamaat banned in Saudi and some other Islamic countries? No wonder.

Poor Saeed. People took advantage of his emotional vulnerability.

May he see the true light of his religion.

This is true

Only thing is USA is mature society. Nobody cares about these evangelists. even Christians look at them as a nuisance

In the subcontinent with minority persecution a major issue - its better to avoid comments like these. It only emboldens extremists on both sides. Pretty sure most Pakistanis will be offended if Sachin or Ganguly makes similar comments on Islam

So celebrities need to be careful about their words

While I agree on principle, it wont happen. IN fact, I would suggest celebrity or not, there is nothing noble or civil about demeaning a fellow human being's belief like that. But in Pakistan, our society is too closed off, too homoegeneous (from the religious POV) and too rigid when it comes to religion. There is increased social awareness of such sort in countries that are more diverse because you live together.
Having said that, even celebrities have bashed other religions in countries other than Pakistan. Celebrities/political leaders/fundamental preachers, etc. If it aids their POV, they do it all the time.

For instance, before the 2016 election an AMerican GOP presidential candidate, Dr. Ben Carson openly stated that there should not be a muslim candidate for the US presidency because Islam does not align with America.
How does that speak to millions of Muslims who live in the US as its citizens? doesnt that open the door for minority persecution? He was rightly bashed for it.

Back in 2008, they "accused" Obama of being a Muslim. ANd the media kept their focus on how he was a christian and not a muslim and nobody dared even say "So what if he is Muslim, so what? what difference does that make?"

Saeed Anwar is a nobody honestly when it comes to naional exposure in pakistan. American, European and even iNDian politicians have done far far worse for minorities.

I met him during the Sahara Cup in Toronto. We had travelled from India to watch the matches. This was in 1997 i think.

Isn't this jamaat banned in Saudi and some other Islamic countries? No wonder.

Poor Saeed. People took advantage of his emotional vulnerability.

May he see the true light of his religion.

YOU obviously need to be a bit more educated

Tagleegh means "preach".
Tableeghi jamat means a group of preachers. It is a very generic term used for a number of outfits who preach Islam in and outside Pakistan, the most well known being an outfit based out of Raiwind, near Lahore. They are not banned anywhere, least of all SA. Their people come to our masjids here in the USA on tours as well.

Mostly they are soft spoken but as I stated before, the nature of their work means by default their rhetoric would be demeaning towards NON MUSLIMS. Look up CHRISTIAN evangelicals and study their rhetoric. You will get the point.

His daughter passed away in 2001.

His rebirth gradually took place after 2001, yes. Met him in 2002 and he was already working on converting Yousaf.

Saeed Anwar refuses to talk about Cricket and neither does he want anything to do with the game anymore.

His fellow Tableeghs like Mushtaq, Saqlain, Inzamam have still kept in touch with the game and work in it but he has totally moved on. He has refused many cricketing interviews.

Aamir Sohail who apparently is his best friend requested him that the fans were demanding that they do a joint YouTube video together but Saeed refused but was kind enough to leave a message to his followers

Tagleegh means "preach".
Tableeghi jamat means a group of preachers. It is a very generic term used for a number of outfits who preach Islam in and outside Pakistan, the most well known being an outfit based out of Raiwind, near Lahore. They are not banned anywhere, least of all SA. Their people come to our masjids here in the USA on tours as well.

Mostly they are soft spoken but as I stated before, the nature of their work means by default their rhetoric would be demeaning towards NON MUSLIMS. Look up CHRISTIAN evangelicals and study their rhetoric. You will get the point.

For your information, KSA has banned TeJ and branded it 'Gate to Terrorism'.

Many people after engaging in every immoral activity in their young years join Tableegh-e-Jamaat to whitewash their misdeeds and portray themselves as pious. This whole task of going around and preaching is absolute bonkers and it provide many with an escape from family responsibilities. It is a way of escapism, away the parental responsibilities.

i think people are misquoting what he said. read the above reply.

Disgusting stuff.

It’s tragic and heart breaking as a 90s kid to watch one of your heroes devolve into this. I’d like to think the person who played those glorious cover drives is not the same person as the one spewing this bigotry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tagleegh means "preach".

Can you pass this education to Saudi Arabia? They banned Tablighi Jamaat.

While I agree on principle, it wont happen. IN fact, I would suggest celebrity or not, there is nothing noble or civil about demeaning a fellow human being's belief like that. But in Pakistan, our society is too closed off, too homoegeneous (from the religious POV) and too rigid when it comes to religion. There is increased social awareness of such sort in countries that are more diverse because you live together.
Having said that, even celebrities have bashed other religions in countries other than Pakistan. Celebrities/political leaders/fundamental preachers, etc. If it aids their POV, they do it all the time.

For instance, before the 2016 election an AMerican GOP presidential candidate, Dr. Ben Carson openly stated that there should not be a muslim candidate for the US presidency because Islam does not align with America.
How does that speak to millions of Muslims who live in the US as its citizens? doesnt that open the door for minority persecution? He was rightly bashed for it.

Back in 2008, they "accused" Obama of being a Muslim. ANd the media kept their focus on how he was a christian and not a muslim and nobody dared even say "So what if he is Muslim, so what? what difference does that make?"

Saeed Anwar is a nobody honestly when it comes to naional exposure in pakistan. American, European and even iNDian politicians have done far far worse for minorities.

You cannot compare USA & Pakistan ( or India )

Irrespective of what people say about Obama - the thing is USA have a strong law & order system. People can say whatever they like in the USA but if they try to do any harm to any minority - the police and courts swing into action

In Pakistan the rule of law is very thin. You can see a recent video where a mob is vandalizing a Ahmediyya mosque and the police is just watching as mute spectators. That does not happen in the US. So USA can afford morons like Ben Carson or Ann Coulter but the subcontinent cannot !

This is why its more important for celebrities in India / Pakistan to be more careful with their words. Again like you mentioned - a hardline preacher like Anwar is never going to act rationally. They will always be extremists

You cannot compare USA & Pakistan ( or India )

Irrespective of what people say about Obama - the thing is USA have a strong law & order system. People can say whatever they like in the USA but if they try to do any harm to any minority - the police and courts swing into action

In Pakistan the rule of law is very thin. You can see a recent video where a mob is vandalizing a Ahmediyya mosque and the police is just watching as mute spectators. That does not happen in the US. So USA can afford morons like Ben Carson or Ann Coulter but the subcontinent cannot !

This is why its more important for celebrities in India / Pakistan to be more careful with their words. Again like you mentioned - a hardline preacher like Anwar is never going to act rationally. They will always be extremists

my comments were along the lines of "why are you so shocked" and not meant as a tool of defense. I also made an observation this is normal behavior in "any" part of the world in a religious setting, and such occurences are not predicated upon the law and order situation of the setting.

There are very few "preachers" who teach tolerance and respect of every faith in the world because if they do so, then what is the point of their existence and who will listen to them? Its an existential question for them.

Back