[VIDEO] Humza Yousaf resigns as Scotland's first minister before facing confidence votes [Post Updated #80]

He should have had face no confidence votes like Imran Khan did.

Correct me but IK didnt actually faced no confidence isn't it and abstain from Parliament?

On topic, good riddance as far Yousaf is concerned. Need a patriot rulling in Scotland.

Aww sad!
Here I was, hoping that the Indian Origin Rishi Sunak and the Pak origin Hamza Yousaf would be negotiating the partition of Scotland from the UK. Would have been nice poetic justice after 1947. Looks like it won't happen.

The right wing nutters who are cheering for his resignation don't understand he went against 2 policies the puberty blockers and the 2030 climate targets .

So damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Hamza Yousuf is a woke liberal. This dude was complaining that there were too many white people holding positions of power in Scotland.

He is a big time snake. Good riddance to this wokester.

Aww sad!
Here I was, hoping that the Indian Origin Rishi Sunak and the Pak origin Hamza Yousaf would be negotiating the partition of Scotland from the UK. Would have been nice poetic justice after 1947. Looks like it won't happen.

Momentum for Scottish independence has run dry. The SNP is the main driver of it, but the party has been ideologically splintered and is also mired in an ongoing police investigation for alleged internal corruption and embezzlement. Yousaf’s failed premiership hasn’t helped at all either. Scotland is going to be a part of the UK for a long time.

'It's on me' - Humza Yousaf gives first interview since resignation​

Scotland’s first minister says ending his power sharing agreement with the Scottish Greens was the right thing to do, but the way he did it meant he paid the price with his job.

In his first interview since announcing his resignation on Monday, Humza Yousaf tells the BBC’s Scotland Editor James Cook “it’s on me”.

He said he had believed the Bute house agreement was going to come to an end anyway in a matter of days or weeks but that he accepted the manner in which he acted to end it clearly caused upset “and I paid the price for that”.

He said he would not endorse either of the potential SNP leadership candidates John Swinney or Kate Forbes.

BBC

Deal with Greens was coming to an end anyway - Yousaf​

The first minister says it was clear to him that the SNP's power-sharing deal with the Scottish Greens was "coming to an end anyway" after the Green Party's decision to put a vote on its future to their members.

Humza Yousaf tells the BBC's Scotland Editor James Cook: "In my mind, whether it was a matter of days or weeks, the Bute House agreement was coming to an end.

"That’s why I say that ending the Bute House agreement was the right thing to do for the party and the country.

"But I accept fully the manner in which it was done clearly caused upset and therefore I’ve paid the price of that"
Yousaf adds that he doesn't regret ending the deal, but "I just regret the manner in which I ended it".

BBC

Outgoing First Minister Humza Yousaf has told Sky News the SNP and independence movement would be harmed by a toxic leadership contest.

Mr Yousaf, who this week announced he was standing down as SNP leader and Scotland's first minister, refused to be drawn on his party's future direction, and said any suggestion of him being forced out of office to make way for John Swinney was "complete and utter rubbish".

The departing leader refuted that Scottish independence was further away than ever before but admitted there's no "shortcut" to Indyref2.

And having "reflected" on his role in last year's bruising leadership campaign, Mr Yousaf is urging potential candidates to support each other rather than talk each other down.

In an interview with Sky's Scotland correspondent Connor Gillies, Mr Yousaf said he expects a "rollercoaster of emotion" over the coming weeks and months.

He said: "I will certainly be regretting the way it ended."

Mr Yousaf was forced to resign following the breakdown of the Bute House Agreement.

Within hours of the power-sharing deal with the Scottish Greens coming to an end, Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross announced he would be bringing a motion of no confidence in the first minister.

Angry over the way the party was dumped from government, the Scottish Greens announced its MSPs would be backing the motion.

Source: Sky News

Kate Forbes has been named as the new Deputy First Minister of Scotland

Sky News

Yousaf recalls fear of ‘revenge’ for family in Gaza after condemning Hamas​

Former first minister Humza Yousaf has told how he and his wife wrestled with decisions on public statements when their relatives were trapped in the Gaza Strip.

Mr Yousaf said they feared possible “revenge” by Hamas against his in-laws due to his condemnation of the militant group’s October 7 attack on Israel.

His wife Nadia El-Nakla’s parents became trapped in the Palestinian enclave during the opening weeks of the Israel-Hamas war and Mr Yousaf – who was first minister and SNP leader at the time – spoke publicly about their plight.

In a podcast discussion, Mr Yousaf also spoke about his attempts to bring Scotland’s Jewish and Muslim communities together in the wake of the October 7 attack.

He appeared on an episode of A Muslim And A Jew Go There, hosted by Baroness Sayeeda Warsi and David Baddiel.

"For a pretty high-profile Muslim to unequivocally condemn them (Hamas) and their attack, the way they would get their revenge could well be to take it on my mother-in-law and father-in-law", said Hamza Yousaf

Mr Yousaf told how his family members – who had travelled from Scotland to Gaza to visit relatives prior to the conflict – experienced the opening days of the war, seeing rockets being fired into Israel and the bombardment of Gaza.

At one point they were left “wandering the streets” as they had been told a neighbour’s house would be destroyed in an Israeli air strike and they had to flee their home.

For the first 24 hours, he said, he did not publicly discuss his family’s situation due to concerns about reprisals from Hamas – though there was “no doubt” he would condemn the group.

Mr Yousaf said: “I had to speak to Nadia and get her understanding that the moment I condemn Hamas there is a possibility that Hamas are going to take reprisal in retaliation against her mother and father.

“Hamas – and this is the understatement of the century – are not good people.

“Hamas will take revenge where they need to take revenge.

“For a pretty high-profile Muslim to unequivocally condemn them and their attack, the way they would get their revenge could well be to take it on my mother-in-law and father-in-law.”

In November, the couple returned safely to Scotland after being permitted to leave Gaza via the Rafah crossing, but some of their family remain there.

Mr Yousaf also said he shared moment of grief during a service in a synagogue with Irene Cowan, whose son Bernard was killed in the October 7 attack.

The MSP said he feared tension between Scotland’s Muslim and Jewish communities would rise due to the events in the Middle East.

He said he wanted to bring prominent Scottish imams and rabbis together.

While he was able to have them agree on a joint statement, he said there was reluctance for them to appear in photographs together.

Mr Yousaf told the podcast: “It wasn’t because they had enmity towards each other, they said the backlash from our communities could be quite something.”

He praised the Church of Scotland’s “mediation” role on the issue and a number of imams and rabbis later took part in an iftar (breaking of the fast) event during Ramadan at Bute House.

Humza Yousaf questions future in UK after riots

Former First Minister Humza Yousaf has said he questions whether he and his family have a future in Scotland or the UK following days of violent riots.

Violent disorder took place in cities across England and in Northern Ireland over the weekend.

The BBC understands some groups have planned protests and counter protests in Scotland in the coming weeks.
Police Scotland said any disorder will be "identified quickly" and "responded to immediately".

Speaking to the News Agents podcast, Mr Yousaf said he was "as Scottish as they come" but he didn't know if he saw a future here for his wife and three children.

The MSP for Glasgow Pollok said: "I was born in Scotland, raised in Scotland, educated in Scotland, just welcomed my third child here in Scotland. Was leader of the Scottish government for just over a year, leader of the Scottish National Party.

"You cut me open and I’m about as Scottish as they come but the truth of the matter is I don’t whether the future for me, and my wife and three children is going to be here in Scotland, the United Kingdom or indeed in Europe and the west."

He said he had been concerned about the rise of Islamophobia for some time.

"We are now seeing the culmination of not years, actually decades of anti-migrant, anti-Muslim rhetoric being normalised in our political discourse now playing out in the most violent way possible," he added.

Mr Yousaf became the first ethnic minority leader of a devolved government and the first Muslim to lead a major UK party when he became first minister in March 2023.

Humza Yousaf issues warning to Elon Musk after billionaire brands ex-FM 'super, super racist'

Humza Yousaf has issued a warning to tech billionaire Elon Musk after he called the ex-first minister a “super, super racist”.

X owner Musk used his own social media site to brand the Glasgow-born politician a bigot for a speech Yousaf made in the Scottish Parliament about racial injustice and lack of diversity.

The Tesla boss, who is facing accusations of stoking far right violence on Britain’s streets by suggesting civil war was “inevitable”, told his 193million followers the SNP MSP “loathes white people”. The Sunday Mail understands Yousaf has not ruled out legal action and is “considering all options”.

His lawyer Aamer Anwar said: “Anybody who goes on social media, even if they own the platform and thinks that free speech is absolute whether in the UK or USA, needs to think again. Free speech carries responsibility and if you break the law there are consequences, as we have seen in recent days.

“Elon Musk has effectively painted a target on Humza Yousaf’s back with his completely unacceptable, untrue and inflammatory comments.”

In an interview with the Sunday Mail the day before Musk’s post, Yousaf accused the South African-born tycoon of repeatedly amplifying the views of racists.

Yousaf has accused Musk of repeatedly amplifying the views of racists

He said: “It is probably the first case of someone being radicalised by himself on his own platform. Musk uses his billions and his intellect to amplify hateful ideology and cause division. He is promoting white supremacists by engaging and indulging in their conspiracy theories.

“These are people sitting in their mothers’ basements in their Y-fronts eating spaghetti hoops out of a can, then Musk amplifies their nonsense to his 193million followers. That then spreads like wildfire.

“He seems to be hoping for civil war in the UK, he has used those words time and again, almost instigating it. I think he is one of the most dangerous men on the planet.”

Musk has been spreading hateful ideology on his platform

Anwar added: “Humza has chosen to stand up against racism and prejudice and hate, no matter the community or individual being targeted. There has been a concerted attempt over a number of years to paint a target on Humza’s back and nobody understands more than him and his loved ones the strain that causes – genuinely having to wonder whether every day could be your last day.

“The primary issue that may arise from the postings of Mr Musk is how others choose to ride on the back of the fire he is clearly igniting. If others choose to incite racial hatred against Humza or others, they should expect multiple years in prison. Social media is not a law-free zone and where actions are criminal and harmful you can expect the full force of the law.

"Wannabe Tommy Robinsons and Elon Musk's need to realise words carry consequences, no different to those Islamic hate preachers face for domestic terrorism.”

Humza Yousaf

Musk first commentated on the 2020 speech, which the then Justice Minister made in Holyrood’s debating chamber, last year calling him ”a blatant racist”. We understand that Yousaf chose to ignore Musk’s social media post.

As race riots took place in English towns last week Met police chief Mark Rowley warned “keyboard warriors” offences of incitement and stirring up racial hatred will be prosecuted, with several people already handed jail terms. Musk, 53, who controls Tesla and SpaceX and is estimated to be worth £200billion, has also attacked Keir Starmer and UK immigration policy.

His championing of far right politics and sharing of controversial, often false, material on X has seen advertisers abandon the platform. He also declared support for the Republicans in the US presidential race, will interview Donald Trump on X on Monday. Yousaf, born in Rutherglen, is the son of parents who immigrated from Pakistan.

He has urged people in Scotland to demonstrate peacefully against racism and bigotry. He launched a scathing attack on Tommy Robinson who has been accused of instigating riots in England that have seen attempts to burn immigrants alive in hotels, cars overturned in the street and mobs attacking police.

Yousaf said: “Tommy Robinson is a hate preacher and should be treated the way other hate preachers are. He is a convicted criminal and before Musk provided him with a platform his reach was dwindling. I feel sorry for his followers, he is taking them for fools.

“Glasgow has a very strong tradition of opposing racism. I support anybody who wants to peacefully stand up and say this city is our city.”

Met Commissioner Rowley warned “keyboard warriors” are not exempt from the law. He said: “There are numerous terrorist offences regarding publishing material online if people are provoking hatred and violence on the street and we will come after them.”

Any legal action against Musk may prove problematic as a 1964 landmark US Supreme Court decision, known as Sullivan, ruled that the protection of freedom of speech limits the ability of public officials to sue for defamation.

SOURCE: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/humza-yousaf-issues-warning-elon-33438292

Back