[VIDEO/PICTURES] Mayank Yadav, another speed gun from India a.k.a The New Delhi Express

He is a slightly faster version of Jofra Archer. I like the length at which he bowls with such pace... Look at his impressive match figures tonight 4 overs 14/3.. bowled a devastating spell.

Jofra in his prime was express, faster version of him.....

Except Kohli and Ganguly , i haven't seen any Indian captain back FAST Bowlers.

Mayank was in the nets of CSK, they didn't even bid for him. That's Dhoni for you.

Less said about Dravid, the better.
It’s called short term thinking, it’s unfortunately how it is. Kohli’s captaincy brought about changes in fast bowling culture and Dada’s.

Dhoni benefitted with Zaheer Ishan Irfan due to Dada, Current Indian setup benefitted with Bumrah Shami Siraj due to Kohli-management

The fastest ball by an Indian is 157kph by Umran in 2022 IPL.

Mayank has hit 156.8kph.

Can he go past Umran?

Then can he go past Tait's 157.7kph to register the fastest ball in IPL history?
Did he bowl this today? Like after his first game?

That is some SERIOUS aag.

He needs to wrapped in a cotton and even needs rest between the hectic IPL season.

That was Marco Jansen ?

Only Rauf, Lockie and Wood bowled quicker than Coetzee in the recent World Cup.
I think Jansen was sixth, and Coetzee did bat at seven?

He has the ability to bat decently well, not as good as Jansen obviously but can improve in the future.

Good talent nonetheless, I hope South Africa take care of him.

LSG next match is vs GT.

GT should play Kane williamson. It will require a batsman of that quality to keep Mayank at bay and we will get to watch a great contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it.
Express bowlers are like horses. The only get faster as they gain rhythm. He’s already gained on his previous best and I bet his average pace was probably higher too. He isn’t superhuman that he will be bowling at 180 KPH like Jeff Thomson ;) but he is not far from 160.

Even an old Shoaib hit 159 in 2011 as the tournament progressed. Express bowlers are different breed.

This IPL season is genuinely exciting because of the pace. So many saffers up there too. Where is Nortje?

Express bowlers are like horses. The only get faster as they gain rhythm. He’s already gained on his previous best and I bet his average pace was probably higher too. He isn’t superhuman that he will be bowling at 180 KPH like Jeff Thomson ;) but he is not far from 160.

Even an old Shoaib hit 159 in 2011 as the tournament progressed. Express bowlers are different breed.

Oh yes and 190 kph like Frank Tyson :yk

But seriously, there have only been 3 guys to ever breach it - Akhtar , Tait and Lee.

2 were slingers - Akhtar had ridiculous levels of hyperextension and Tait had the strength of an NFL player.

Lee was also a supreme athlete who trained with a sprint coach etc. and bowled with close to THE perfect action which no one else has really replicated.

Mayank is no Lee and he's not a slinger.

So, I'm not sure he can

How is Umran getting on this season? @cricketjoshila

Why is he not in the top 5? Has he already started to lose pace?

He has played only one game. Bowled only one over. It was during that run fest between MI and SRH.

In that one over he clocked 149.xx

Since Tom moody, Kane Williamson and Dale Steyn have left SRH, Umran hasn't got the required backing.

Apparently the team management of SRH is now obsessed with Spinners and cutter bowlers.

But seriously, there have only been 3 guys to ever breach it - Akhtar , Tait and Lee.

2 were slingers - Akhtar had ridiculous levels of hyperextension and Tait had the strength of an NFL player.

Lee was also a supreme athlete who trained with a sprint coach etc. and bowled with close to THE perfect action which no one else has really replicated.

So, I'm not sure he can

Starc has also breached 160kph.

So, I'm not sure he can
For your sake, I hope he does.

Also, Sami was not a slinger but was consistently express for a few YEARS. I’m pretty sure he got VERY close to 160. Yadav is playing in the age of technology and Uber athleticism AND he has at his disposal the power of the IPL who will leave no stone unturned even if it means hiring the Ian Pont. ;)

This IPL season is genuinely exciting because of the pace. So many saffers up there too. Where is Nortje?

He is with Delhi.

Kartik Tyagi of GT can hit 150ks.

KKR have a net bowler who is apparently bowling rockets in the nets.

Did he though? He hit it. Breaching is something different.

Also, I am not one for conspiracy theories but I doubt it’s authenticity because it happened once and he never again or before got even close.

GOAT WC bowler though.

This guy is ridiculously fast. Feels like every ball is near 150 KPH or higher.

Excited to see how his career progresses, unfortunately seen too many amazing fast bowlers not live up to their potential due to injuries so I hope he’s managed really well.

Kind of insane that these 3 were playing near the same time and no one has been as consistently fast as they were since their careers ended.
Sami was also playing in the same era and was ridiculously fast. Faster than any bowler today on an average pace standard. The guy used to hit 150 occasionally in his 40s.

Sami was also playing in the same era and was ridiculously fast. Faster than any bowler today on an average pace standard. The guy used to hit 150 occasionally in his 40s.
Yeah you’re right, he was also consistently very very fast. I had high hopes for the guy, but he also never lived up to his potential.

He had a good T20 record though, I think he could have had a decent career if he was coming up now as mainly a T20 only bowler.

There’s nothing as exciting in cricket as a deadly express fast bowler.

Every single ball feels like an event. The fear in the batsmen, the excitement in the crowd, nothing beats it.

Kind of insane that these 3 were playing near the same time and no one has been as consistently fast as they were since their careers ended.
It is such a thankless job. You need extraordinary level of fitness and motivation to maintain speed over after over, match after match.

For your sake, I hope he does.

Also, Sami was not a slinger but was consistently express for a few YEARS. I’m pretty sure he got VERY close to 160. Yadav is playing in the age of technology and Uber athleticism AND he has at his disposal the power of the IPL who will leave no stone unturned even if it means hiring the Ian Pont. ;)

Sami was not quicker than 156 kph , dodgy readings apart.

There is an elite bracket (157-161) kph where only Lee, Tait and Akhtar have been timed at more than a few times .

The problem with Starc was that although he did hit 160 +, he was never timed in this bracket multiple times .

He would drop back to 155 and below.

Closest I have seen was when Fidel Edwards burst into the scene and threatened to break 158 kph with consistent speeds leading upto it.

That last 3-4 kph has eluded every bowler apart from those 3.

There is an elite bracket (157-161) kph where only Lee, Tait and Akhtar have been timed at more than a few times .

The problem with Starc was that although he did hit 160 +, he was never timed in this bracket multiple times .

Closest I have seen was when Fidel Edwards burst into the scene and threatened to break 158 kph with consistent speeds leading upto it.

Once again his release speed was fast. But he also lost pace after pitching. His full balls were effective. I remember one ball that castled Dinesh Karthik for 93 or so. Ball just zipped of the turf after pitching full. But whenever he pitched on a length he was thrashed around as he didn't get much out of the pitch like Akhtar as he relied more on his arm speed rather than shoulder.

It is such a thankless job. You need extraordinary level of fitness and motivation to maintain speed over after over, match after match.
Yeah absolutely. But if you do it right, you can really become a star. There’s something that’s in us that just makes this type of bowling so exciting. I still remember the competition that was going on between Brett Lee and Shoaib to see who could be the fastest.

I mean today was the first time I’ve ever watched a full spell of bowling in IPL and it was solely so I could see Mayank Yadav bowl. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very early still and he has a ways to go. The danger of this kind of fast bowling is it’s also easy to get hit for boundaries as well if you miss your length even a bit because the ball absolutely flys off the bat.

But I gotta say, he looked very impressive. I don’t know how he will fair in ODI and Test yet, but you guys might have an amazing T20 bowler at the very minimum - if he can stay healthy and is nurtured right. From what I understand this pitch today is also usually hard for bowlers so 3/14 is even more impressive and he took out Maxwell and Green so international standard batsmen.

Sami was consistently over the 150s and yes, unofficial readings even have him bowling over 160. But I really wonder how much slower he would’ve been when he clocked 164. Pure hypotheses but I doubt that it was 10 KPH faulty. Would’ve been 4-5 KPH less.

It’s been many years, so my memory could also just be a bit faulty in this regard but what I remember about Sami is he had spells with many balls over 150+ which I find that more impressive than just a singular really fast ball. Because we have seen bowlers who can really ramp it up for an effort ball, Rauf included. I’ve seen Rauf hit 154 twice in the PSL, but Sami had spells where almost every ball was near that 150+ mark.

Today it felt like Mayank Yadav was hitting 150+ at will.

Sami was consistently over the 150s and yes, unofficial readings even have him bowling over 160. But I really wonder how much slower he would’ve been when he clocked 164. Pure hypotheses but I doubt that it was 10 KPH faulty. Would’ve been 4-5 KPH less.
Rauf bowled an exceptionally fast spell against England recently, but I still think his average pace is below Sami.

Even yesterday in the IPL, there was a 16 kph faulty reading which was corrected by HawkEye. In 2004, it was a pretty obvious error

I saw those deliveries by Sami and it did not rush the batters anywhere close to a 155 kph delivery let alone 160 +

It’s been many years, so my memory could also just be a bit faulty in this regard but what I remember about Sami is he had spells with many balls over 150+ which I find that more impressive than just a singular really fast ball. Because we have seen bowlers who can really ramp it up for an effort ball, Rauf included. I’ve seen Rauf hit 154 twice in the PSL, but Sami had spells where almost every ball was near that 150+ mark.

Exactly my point. Sami could bowl in excess of 150 more consistently than most bowlers I have ever seen. Hard to believe that 156 was his ceiling.

This is true. He was consistently quick in that season, bowling high 140's and into the 150's.

Yaar, as a diehard fan of Pakistani cricket I’m gonna be in an awkward spot as I can’t help but root for this kid :ROFLMAO:

Even yesterday in the IPL, there was a 16 kph faulty reading which was corrected by HawkEye. In 2004, it was a pretty obvious error

I saw those deliveries by Sami and it did not rush the batters anywhere close to a 155 kph delivery let alone 160 +
Very hard to tell with the naked eye - as people are doing quite a lot with Yadav in this thread too. I do understand where you’re coming from - I’m just saying purely on conjecture that it is hard to believe that a guy that was consistently one of the fastest ever in terms of average speed capped at 156.

But then again, those last few Ks are very hard to get too.

Yaar, as a diehard fan of Pakistani cricket I’m gonna be in an awkward spot as I can’t help but root for this kid :ROFLMAO:
Quite a few likeable cricketers in India that makes me root for them. People like Jaiswal, Bumrah, Kohli and this guy. As long as they don’t do well against Pakistan, I’m all for it.

Then there’s the likes of Pandya, Shami and even Gill that I don’t like. Makes me cringe to see some Pakistanis simping over Shami just because he’s Muslim.

I’ve also seen Ihsanullah hit 150+ multiple times. He seemed like he had quite a bit left to develop as well, but unfortunately it seems like his rehabilitation from his injury has been all over the place.

Wasim Akram also criticized how PCB has managed Ihsanullah’s injury and subsequent rehab.

Very hard to tell with the naked eye - as people are doing quite a lot with Yadav in this thread too. I do understand where you’re coming from - I’m just saying purely on conjecture that it is hard to believe that a guy that was consistently one of the fastest ever in terms of average speed capped at 156.

But then again, those last few Ks are very hard to get too.

Watch his spells from 2003- early 2005.

That was when he was at his fastest. PAK tour of England 2003, IND tour of PAK 2004 are the ones that stand out for speed .

He never hit those speeds consistently from 2005 onwards. Lost his action.

Quite a few likeable cricketers in India that makes me root for them. People like Jaiswal, Bumrah, Kohli and this guy. As long as they don’t do well against Pakistan, I’m all for it.

Then there’s the likes of Pandya, Shami and even Gill that I don’t like. Makes me cringe to see some Pakistanis simping over Shami just because he’s Muslim.
Yeah it’s hard to root against Bumrah to be honest.

I think Shami is a great a bowler, but to me he kind of continues in the line of the Indian bowlers that came before him with his skill and seam presentation.

Bumrah on the other hand seems like an alien from outer space. Strange action, unlike any previous bowler India has produced, but incredibly effective.

I’ve also seen Ihsanullah hit 150+ multiple times. He seemed like he had quite a bit left to develop as well, but unfortunately it seems like his rehabilitation from his injury has been all over the place.

Wasim Akram also criticized how PCB has managed Ihsanullah’s injury and subsequent rehab.
Ihsanullah was not only fast but also a genuinely good bowler. I really hope he comes back stronger than ever and I am kind of glad he hasn’t been rushed back into cricket - so you never know, he could still have his pace.

Incredibly annoying personality though. He is perhaps the most ungroomed cricketer to be playing professional cricket right now.

Pandya is very easy to dislike.

But why Shami?

LSG next match is vs GT.

GT should play Kane williamson. It will require a batsman of that quality to keep Mayank at bay and we will get to watch a great contest.
Hasn't Kane struggled vs top teams and bowlers in his whole career? Check his numbers vs Aus, Ind etc.

Ihsanullah was not only fast but also a genuinely good bowler. I really hope he comes back stronger than ever and I am kind of glad he hasn’t been rushed back into cricket - so you never know, he could still have his pace.

Incredibly annoying personality though. He is perhaps the most ungroomed cricketer to be playing professional cricket right now.
He had the aggression that I think you can’t really teach a fast bowler. Some players just have that built in desire to bully the batsmen. I still remember the brutal short delivery he gave to Najibullah first up which made him retire hurt after the first ball.

Steyn had that amazing ability to fire himself up and produce a brutal spell late in the day. Shoaib had that aggression as well.

Pandya is very easy to dislike.

But why Shami?
Wife beater, awkward personality and doesn’t really have nice things to say about Pakistan.

Don’t want to start a debate so just sharing my opinion but I think the latter could be because he’s trying to prove his loyalty to India.

On his day, he is a fine bowler though.

Hasn't Kane struggled vs top teams and bowlers in his whole career? Check his numbers vs Aus, Ind etc.

He has. But he is still a very good batsman with solid technique.

Once a bowler is consistently hitting 95mph and more, your plant the foot and hit the ball batsmen go out of the game.

He had the aggression that I think you can’t really teach a fast bowler. Some players just have that built in desire to bully the batsmen. I still remember the brutal short delivery he gave to Najibullah first up which made him retire hurt after the first ball.

Steyn had that amazing ability to fire himself up and produce a brutal spell late in the day. Shoaib had that aggression as well.
And some serious pace. That one season he played, he was among the wickets and the fastest bowler on display every time he played. Great height too.

A vegetarian fast bowler from India who bowls at 157 kph. Who would have thunk it !!

Funny enough, I actually like Pandya.

I’m not super impressed by his bowling, more so impressed by his batting, but he has that super star sort of flair.

If he had half the talent and performance that he tries to showoff, he would have been a great cricketer.

He is a greedy.powe hungry person with a superiority complex.

If he had half the talent and performance that he tries to showoff, he would have been a great cricketer.

Maybe I don’t follow Indian cricket enough but he seems to always fire when playing Pakistan? He was the only saving grace in the CT final and has done quite well after that too. Getting Babar bowled ruined the match for me in the WC.

Ahh I see. We had our fair share of those in Pakistani cricket, particularly in the 2010s.

Similarly, I root for Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah except against India. I also like to watch Shaheen Afridi and Babar in their full flow.
On the dislike list, I probably don't like only Sadab. In fact, it is hard to dislike anyone in the PCT. PCB board officials, ex cricketers are different matter BTW.

Similarly, I root for Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah except against India. I also like to watch Shaheen Afridi and Babar in their full flow.
On the dislike list, I probably don't like only Sadab. In fact, it is hard to dislike anyone in the PCT. PCB board officials, ex cricketers are different matter BTW.
The personality of the recent group of Pakistani players is pretty different than the ones who came before I believe. We don’t have too much bad blood against any team right now.

Nothing wrong with rivalry and competition, but unfortunately a lot of our ex players love to go on the media and give out outlandish and ridiculous statements.

The personality of the recent group of Pakistani players is pretty different than the ones who came before I believe. We don’t have too much bad blood against any team right now.
100%.
Nothing wrong with rivalry and competition, but unfortunately a lot of our ex players love to go on the media and give out outlandish and ridiculous statements.
I agree. We too have our own set of annoying ex players who want to be in limelight somehow.

People rooting for him to be fast tracked should know, Dravid will pick Sandeep Sharmas and the Chahars before a fast bowler get a chance.

People rooting for him to be fast tracked should know, Dravid will pick Sandeep Sharmas and the Chahars before a fast bowler get a chance.
Ever since Dravid became the coach, Knuckle ballers, tuktukers started returning in the name of experience. I can't wait to see the end of the management. No guarantee who will be. But this one is a highly defensive, conservative management.

He will add variety to the bowling attack so you can't completely rule him out to be a part of the Indian national squad after the IPL.

Back