[VIDEO/PICTURES] Pakistan-West Indies 3-match ODI series in Multan (2022)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan-West Indies ODI series shifted to Multan

Lahore, 30 May 2022:

The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League One-Day Internationals between Pakistan and the West Indies have been shifted to Multan. The games will take place on the dates announced earlier i.e. 8, 10 and 12 June, with the matches starting at 1600 PKT time.

The training camp of the Pakistan cricket team will be held in Lahore from 1-4 June before the squad will move to Multan on 5 June. Haris Rauf and Shadab Khan, who are presently playing county cricket in the United Kingdom, will arrive on 1 June and will join the camp from the next day.

The West Indies squad will arrive in Islamabad on 6 June and will travel to Multan on a charter flight.

Series schedule with umpire and match referee appointments:

8 June – 1st ODI, Multan Cricket Stadium. Aleem Dar and Ahsan Raza (on-field umpires), Rashid Riaz (third umpire) and Faisal Khan Afridi (fourth umpire); Mohammad Javed (match referee)

10 June – 2nd ODI, Multan Cricket Stadium. Aleem Dar and Asif Yaqoob (on-field umpires), Ahsan Raza (third umpire), Faisal Khan Afridi (fourth umpire); Mohammad Javed (match referee)

12 June – 3rd ODI, Multan Cricket Stadium. Aleem Dar and Rashid Riaz (on-field umpires), Asif Yaqoob (third umpire), Faisal Khan Afridi (fourth umpire); Mohammad Javed (match referee)

Pakistan squad for West Indies ODIs:

Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan (vice-captain), Abdullah Shafique, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imam-ul-Haq, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Haris (wicketkeeper/batter), Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan (wicketkeeper/batter), Mohammad Wasim Junior, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shahnawaz Dahani and Zahid Mahmood.

Player Support Personnel: Mansoor Rana (manager), Saqlain Mushtaq (head coach), Shahid Aslam (assistant to head coach), Mohammad Yousuf (batting coach), Shaun Tait (bowling coach), Cliffe Deacon (physiotherapist), Drikus Saaiman (trainer/strength and conditioning coach), Abdul Majeed (fielding coach), Ahsan Iftikhar Nagi (media and digital manager), Col (retd) Muhammad Imran (security manager), Dr Najeeb Soomro (team doctor), Talha Ejaz (analyst) and Muhammad Imran (masseur).

Sensible decision and also a good venue for future such series.

Hottest season in one of the hottest places on earth, wow , what a venue and what a weather. Seriously worried about players health. Even at 4 PM , sun is very strong .

I hope no player ends up collapsing due to the severe heat in Multan.

Hottest season in one of the hottest places on earth, wow , what a venue and what a weather. Seriously worried about players health. Even at 4 PM , sun is very strong .

Good thing it's such a widely anticipated series then.

On a serious note, let's hope for some rest and rotation for all involved. Shaheen having 3 opening bowling spells in the 1st innings doesn't bear thinking about.

Temperatures in Multan can routinely reach 45 degrees at this time of year.

Manageable for cricket? Or legitimately dangerous?

Match timings shift to 4pm Pak time so should help.

I’ve just been to Pakistan and experienced this heat…even at 4pm, it will be unbearable to play any sport. It’s only really bearable after dark.

Yes, I imagine it will still be 40 degrees even at 4pm. It is bordering on dangerous to be playing cricket in this weather. They will need a drinks break every 10 overs probably.

It would be tough in the initial couple of hours of the match but, should get better when sun settles down. Ice packs, other such facilitators and even more frequent drinks intervals will have to be considered.

Eleven groundsmen and a dozen of ground staff are working day and night to prepare two international pitches and a lush green outfield for the three-match Pakistan-West Indies ODI series at the Multan Cricket Stadium (MCS) on June 8, 10 and 12.

The stadium will host matches after 14 years as the last match was played between Bangladesh and Pakistan in 2008.

Khwaja Muhammad Anees, chairman of the South Punjab Cricket Association (SPCA), told Dawn it would be a great opportunity for cricket fans of south Punjab to see matches here. The stadium has a seating capacity of 22,000 with more than 12 enclosures. It hosted the 2019 PSL matches.

Head Groundsman Muhammad Riaz said they had to get the ground and pitches ready by June 6 because both teams would hold a two-day practice session at the venue.

The SPCA has identified six fast bowlers and as many spinners who will give net practice to both Pakistan and West Indies players.

CCTV screens will be installed both inside and outside the venue and a central security room will be established.

Sources say security arrangements will be done by police, law enforcement agencies and the Pakistan Army.

Locals say there is a lot of enthusiasm for cricket in south Punjab, which will attract spectators to watch day and night matches at the stadium.

Published in Dawn, June 1st, 2022

Babar Azam in a presser:

"The matches will not be taken lightly, the series in the ICC World Cup League is important and will try to get all the points."

"No doubt that it will be very hot in Multan but we have tried to get accustomed to the weather in the conditioning camp. The aim of starting training sessions late afternoon to ensure that playing in Multan does not become more difficult"

While terming the extremely hot weather currently prevailing in Multan a challenge for the players during the forthcoming ODI series against West Indies, Pakistan skipper Babar Azam on Wednesday said he was targeting a clean sweep against the Caribbean side whom he called dangerous.

“Definitely it [hot weather] will be a challenge in Multan where we have played T20 games in the past. The present temperature there is 1-2 degrees higher than what we have in Lahore these days,” Babar said in a media interaction, organised by the Pakistan Cricket Board separately for print and electronic media on Wednesday, ahead of a three-day training camp starting in Lahore on Thursday.

“We have played in similar conditions in Dubai where the temperature sometimes touches 45 degrees Celsius. Being professionals, we have to manage things under such situations anywhere in the world. Therefore, we are well prepared [for the games in Multan],” the Pakistan skipper added.

“The West Indies also play under such hot weather conditions as their home temperatures generally remain around 40. Yes, they will get only a few days to acclimatize themselves to the local conditions but they must be having some plan to handle this situation. Therefore, I don’t think Pakistan will get any significant edge due to the hot weather factor,” said Babar under whose captaincy Pakistan have played 12 ODIs matches so far winning six and losing five while one ended in a tie.

Keeping the ICC World Cup Super League in mind, the 27-year-old batting sensation said he was aiming to sweep the West Indies series so that Pakistan could get maximum points.

“Definitely, as captain, I always wish to make clean sweep in every series and the target would be the same against the West Indies. However, their team is not easy to beat; they have some dangerous players who have the talent to upset any team on a given day,” the right-handed Babar, who has featured in 86 ODIs, maintained.

As captain, Babar said, he was fully satisfied with his team members who he said were taking responsibility and following the strategy adopted to dominate the game.

Regarding the pitches to be used for the ODIs in Multan, Babar said he could say something only after watching the tracks.

Commenting on the likely opening pair for the West Indies series, Babar said consistency in selection could be vital in building a strong team.

“Fakhar Zaman and Imam-ul-Haq as openers are my first priority as both are in nice form, but we have a talented upcoming opener in Abdullah Shafique too,” the skipper remarked.

“I always try to field the best available XI because only consistency in selection can build our team. If we want to raise the world’s best team we have to give chances to [promising] players, rather than dropping them for one or two bad performances,” he said.

Building big partnerships and developing strong communication on the crease were the key areas in batting department, he said.

“With long partnerships, a team can push back the opponents as we did against a strong Australian team during the last home series.”

Babar welcomed back two spin all-rounders — his deputy Shadab Khan and Mohammad Nawaz — for the West Indies series after recovering from injuries. Both the players due to injuries missed the home series against Australia as well as some matches of the last HBL Pakistan Super League.

“Shadab and Nawaz are my main players and their absence disturbed our ODI combination. Both can bat at different positions effectively and I get confidence from the fact that they complete our batting and bowling departments,” the captain said.

“They have the talent to finish the game batting at number five and six. They way Nawaz did it against South Africa was impressive. Moreover, when your vice-captain makes a comeback it definitely gives you a lot of confidence,” Babar said.

Commenting on Iftikhar Ahmed whose batting has come under criticism, Babar while admitting he could not play a long innings due to having less number of overs, said the all-rounder had the potential to play with defence and aggression.

Babar negated the impression that Pakistan bowlers in death over were conceding too many runs.

“Pakistan have the best bowling attack for death overs. If we failed in a couple of [ODI] matches against Australia, there are many other games in which we bowled very effectively in the end,” the captain emphasised.

After arriving in Islamabad on June 6, the West Indies squad on the same day will proceed to Multan on a chartered flight.

The Pakistan squad after ending the camp in Lahore will leave for Multan on June 5.

The matches will be played on June 8, 10 and 12 with each game starting at 4:00pm.

Published in Dawn, June 2nd, 2022

Should be very challenging for West Indies. A good Pakistan team and the hot weather.

Pictures (courtesy of the PCB) of Pakistan squad practicing ahead of the 3-match ODI series against the West Indies

FUQQtcOXEAA9vb2.jpgFUQQtb6XwAAtWj-.jpgFUQQtbaXEAQRkcL.jpgFUQQtbGX0AMFCcW.jpgFUQGkLDXwAAMl-T.jpg
APP59-020622Lahore.jpg

Last edited:
Lahore, 2 June 2022: Shadab Khan, the vice-captain of Pakistan’s white-ball sides, is gearing up to mark his return to the national side in the upcoming three-One-Day International series against the West Indies in Multan.

The all-rounder began his preparations for what is an all-important assignment, as the three matches are part of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League, on Thursday with the beginning of a three-day camp in Lahore.

Shadab last turned out for Pakistan in a T20I series against the West Indies in Karachi in December. Pakistan brushed aside the tourists comfortably with a 3-0 win and Shadab played a crucial role in helping the hosts achieve the scoreline.

The 23-year-old was the player of the match in the second T20I following his all-round efforts that included a quickfire 28 not out off 12 at the back of a four and three sixes and his economical returns of none for 22 in four overs.

Speaking to PCB digital, Shadab, who recently turned out for Yorkshire in the ongoing Vitality blast and arrived in Pakistan earlier in the day, said: “I am very delighted to be back in the side and be amongst my friends as I had played the last for Pakistan in December.

“It is a different feeling altogether to play for your country, which makes coming back to this dressing room even more exciting.”

Pakistan are currently placed ninth in the Super League rankings with 60 points – one place above the West Indies – and a series win – whether 2-1 or 3-0 – will see them jump to the third spot.

Shadab, who had to be withdrawn from the three ODIs and one-off T20I against Australia in Lahore earlier in the year because of an injury, has his eyes set on the 8, 10 and 12 June matches, and is eager to make an impact.

He said: “The upcoming series is quite significant for me as I have not played any international and much domestic cricket recently, and I am making a return after injury. Another reason which makes this series important is that we are playing it in our country and in Multan.”

“I am looking forward to doing well for my team as these three ODIs are very important because of the Super League points. I am sure fans will get to see a good series and we will continue the Australia series momentum.”

https://www.pcb.com.pk/blog-detail/eager-to-make-an-impact-in-west-indies-odis-is-shadab-khan.html

Hope Abdullah gets a chance in these matches. He can be a very good player for Pakistan in ODI cricket.

So the matches will finish at midnight, maybe later.

Hardly great for the public.

Is this really such a good idea in this weather?

The matches are scheduled at 4pm. Its freaking scorching outside at that time. And its only by 5pm that things get somewhat bearable these days.

Also, the matches are in Multan(!!!) This is madness lol

Last edited:
So the matches will finish at midnight, maybe later.

Hardly great for the public.

On top of that two of matches are scheduled on weekdays, while the third one is scheduled on a Sunday.

It's like they want people to not come.

If he doesn't bat in the top 4 then he shouldn't play.

Yes but I don't think we have any player who can bat at 4. Rizwan is a total flop batting wise in ODI's

I would love if Pakistan try him as an opener but top 3 is settled & they will never change.

1. Imam
2. Fakhar
3. Babar
4. Abdullah
5. Rizwan
6. Khusdil
7. Shahdab
8. Nawaz
9. Dahani
10. Haris
11. Shaheen

Hope Abdullah gets a chance in these matches. He can be a very good player for Pakistan in ODI cricket.

He'll be hoping he does. Can't imagine WI bowlers steaming in during such treacherous conditions.

Yes but I don't think we have any player who can bat at 4. Rizwan is a total flop batting wise in ODI's

I would love if Pakistan try him as an opener but top 3 is settled & they will never change.

1. Imam
2. Fakhar
3. Babar
4. Abdullah
5. Rizwan
6. Khusdil
7. Shahdab
8. Nawaz
9. Dahani
10. Haris
11. Shaheen

Who would you drop becouse Imaam and Fakhar have been good players it would be harsh to drop any of them.

Who would you drop becouse Imaam and Fakhar have been good players it would be harsh to drop any of them.

No I don't want to drop them but it's West Indies we're up against so maybe we can just try something different.

Match scenario practice underway at the LCCA Ground

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/esnrjs" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Pictures (courtesy of the PCB) of the ongoing scenario-based practice by the Pakistan ODI squad at the LCCA

cb0626fc-7db9-45b2-be54-128fa81a37f2.jpg548eeb01-1bdd-4a2c-8de8-67adb8c02e84.jpg886ce0c3-74d9-40b6-9065-bbe6d840f13c.jpg0efaecaf-bb06-4dfa-a42d-50ced2761ab4.jpg79c5ba9d-2458-414b-8724-f0c00ec5dbff.jpg

FUVbSkZXwAIdVD_ (1).jpgFUVbSoAWIAAvX-V.jpgFUVbSlsX0AA4V1H.jpg

Last edited:
ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Cricket West Indies (CWI) have confirmed that Rovman Powell and Romario Shepherd are unable to take part in the ongoing One-Day International Series (ODI) against the Netherlands due to visa delays.

They travelled to London immediately following their participation in the Indian Premier League (IPL), as their visa interviews could not have taken place in India due to the IPL bio-secure protocols. Despite having the interviews the day after their arrival, they are both still in London awaiting the appropriate visas to be able to travel to the Netherlands.

With the final match to be played at the VRA Cricket Ground, Amstelveen on Saturday, Shepherd and Powell will now fly directly to Pakistan to join the ODI squad for the three-match series. West Indies have an unassailable 2-0 lead following wins by seven wickets on Tuesday and by five wickets on Thursday. The West Indies had 13 players available for the first two matches and will have the same squad now for the final contest.

The West Indies Squad will travel from Amsterdam to Pakistan on Sunday for matches at the Multan Cricket Stadium on June 8, 10 and 12.

ODI Squad to Pakistan: Nicholas Pooran (captain), Shai Hope (vice-captain), Nkrumah Bonner, Shamarh Brooks, Keacy Carty, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Shermon Lewis, Kyle Mayers, Anderson Phillip, Rovman Powell, Jayden Seales, Romario Shepherd, Hayden Walsh Jr.

Saqlain Mushtaq:

“The West Indies team will come fully prepared. We have not done all the work on them yet but are hopeful of defeating them 3-0"

“The players are working hard and training is going on as per plans. There is no doubt that it is hot but the support staff is making the strategy as per the strength of our players"

The international cricket will return to the City of Saints – Multan – after more than 14 years next week when Babar Azam’s side will lock horns with the West Indies in three ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League matches at the Multan Cricket Stadium from Wednesday.

The MCS has been host to some memorable contests since it first staged an international match in 2001 when Pakistan defeated Bangladesh by an innings and 264 run in a Test that began on 29 August. The three ODIs between Pakistan and the West Indies promise to add more to the legacy of the iconic venue.

Pakistan arrived in Multan on Sunday and the West Indies will fly in on Monday for what promises to be an exciting and action-packed series with 30 points up for grabs.

When Nicholas Pooran leads his men out on the field on 8 June, it would mark the second instance of a West Indies side taking the field at the MCS in ODIs. The two sides last played at the MCS on 13 December 2006 with Marlon Samuels’ breezy 100 not out off 99 balls securing a seven-wicket win for the tourists.

The picturesque stadium has hosted seven ODIs with Pakistan winning four. In its inaugural ODI, Pakistan defeated Bangladesh by 137 runs in September 2003. The two sides also played the last ODI at the venue to-date, which the hosts won by seven wickets.

In the second ODI here on 30 September 2004, Pakistan had recorded the biggest win, in terms of runs, at the venue when they defeated Zimbabwe by 144 runs.

India and South Africa are the other two sides to have played here. Both came out victorious with India recording a five-wicket win in February 2006 and South Africa winning by seven wickets in October 2007.

Opener Yasir Hameed has scored the most runs at this venue, smashing 197 runs in four innings, followed by former Pakistan captain and local star Inzamam-ul-Haq (178).

Including Samuels, four batters have scored centuries at the MCS. The other three are Pakistan’s Abdul Razzaq and Yasir Hameed, and Bangladesh’s Shakib-ul-Hasan.

While spinners Shoaib Malik and Shahid Afridi, with six wickets each, have the most scalps in international 50-over contests at the MCS, India’s RP Sing – with four for 40 – has the best bowling figures for a fast bowler here.

Sehwag’s 309, Lara’s 216

The MCS has hosted five Tests from August 2001 till November 2006. Of the four Tests to have ended in results, Pakistan have won three.

Pakistan defeated Bangladesh twice in August 2001 and September 2003, and England in November 2005, while India have won the only Test to be played here between the two sides. The last Test at the stadium – between Pakistan and the West Indies – ended in a draw.

Pakistan batting coach, Mohammad Yousuf, has the most Test runs at the venue (517 at a staggering 86.16) and is the only batter to hit three centuries.

Virender Sehwag’s epic 309 in India’s win remains the highest score and the only tripe-century at the venue and Brian Lara (216 in 2006) has made the only double hundred at the MCS.

Danish Kaneria has spun the web around 22 batters in five innings at 20.13 runs per wicket. He has three five-fers and one match haul of 10 wickets.

About the stadium

The MCS, boasting a capacity of 35,000, is located off Vehari Road, in the suburbs of Multan. The stadium plays host to country’s top-level domestic cricket regularly.

The most recent high-profile cricket matches here were the three HBL Pakistan Super League matches in February 2020. Multan Sultans, the home side, won all the games, defeating Peshawar Zalmi (by six wickets), Karachi Kings (by 52 runs) and Quetta Gladiators (by 30 runs).

Deputy Commissioner (DC) Tahir Wato on Sunday said that security personnel would remain red alert from June 5 to 12 in connection with One-Day International cricket series between Pakistan and West Indies going to be started from June 8.

During his visit of Multan Cricket Stadium along with police officers to review arrangements for the cricket series here, he said that more than 6000 officials of police, army and rangers would be deployed on security duty to avoid any untoward incident.

DC said that parking has been made at Fatima Jinnah Town and added that free shuttle service would be offered to citizens from parking stands to stadium.

Speaking on the occasion, the City Police Officer (CPO) Khurram Shahzad Haider said that he himself was monitoring the security arrangements. He said that officials of police, traffic police, elite force, rangers, special branch and other law enforcement departments would be deployed on security duty at stadium, airport, route, parking points, hotels and other places.

He urged masses to bring their national identity card adding that weapons, toy guns, match box, fireworks, cigarette and other sharp edged weapons would be prohibited in the stadium. He said that banners with hatred words would also be banned adding that strict action would be taken against violators.

On the other hand, the city traffic police has finalized traffic plan for public facilitation, CTP spokesman Muhammad Adnan said.

He said that the entry for the people coming from Vehari would be Gate No 5 of Fatima Jinnah Town and Gate No 1 was fixed for locals.

The CTP urged citizens to cooperate with the traffic police and asked them to not bring food items, polythene bags and other unnecessary items with them.

https://www.brecorder.com/news/40178059/security-tightened-for-cricket-series-in-multan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pakistan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Pakistan</a> here we come <a href="https://t.co/N3NFI2MsjZ">pic.twitter.com/N3NFI2MsjZ</a></p>— NickyP (@nicholas_47) <a href="https://twitter.com/nicholas_47/status/1533575855720607747?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It will be really hot there. The match will be played on a dust bowl it seems. Afterwards the West Indians can visit the many Sufi shrines nearby:inzi2

Welcome to Multan!

The West Indies ODI squad has arrived in the City of the Saints to play 3-match series

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/8lxeir" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.833%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/k44evh" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
Practice at the Multan Cricket Stadium:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/uzqkbb" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Pakistan squad practices in Multan

FUlNJ6FXEAAqPGU.jpgFUlNJ6IWUAMuXI5.jpgFUlNJ6FWAAER5UC.jpgFUlNJ6EXoAIksUY.jpg

Babar Azam and his men ready to brave West Indies challenge

6GqFmOI.png

Multan, 7 June 2022:

When Pakistan and the West Indies meet in Multan tomorrow (Wednesday) it will mark beginning of a new era for Pakistan cricket with the city hosting international cricket after 14 long years.

The three One-Day Internationals are part of the Super League cycle and both sides are eager to secure crucial points to advance their chances for direct qualification in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.
The two teams enter the series high on confidence.

Babar Azam’s side defeated Aaron Finch’s men 2-1 in March in Lahore in what was Pakistan’s first ODI series win over Australia in 20 years. This is Pakistan’s fifth Super League series. They have defeated Zimbabwe, South Africa and Australia, and lost to England.

It is the captain himself who has been at the forefront of Pakistan’s successes. Babar, who is number one in the ICC ODI Player rankings for batters, leads the batting charts with 902 runs at a stratospheric average of 90.20. He is the only batter to have smashed five centuries in the ongoing cycle, with Ireland’s Paul Stirling being the second best with three. The right-handed stylish strokemaker has dispatched exactly 100 balls towards the fence for four.

Pakistan’s second best batter in the cycle has been Imam-ul-Haq who enters the series at the back of a scintillating Australia series in which he struck two consecutive centuries and a breezy 89 not out, playing an integral role in his side’s historic win. The southpaw has scored 598 runs at 54.36, and along with the two centuries has also struck five half-centuries.

Fearsome pacers – Haris Rauf and Shaheen Shah Afridi – are the leading wicket-takers for Pakistan in the Super League with 19 scalps apiece. Haris’ average of 28.73 is a shade better than Shaheen’s 29.52.

The West Indies added 30 more points to their tally during their stopover in Netherlands, defeating the hosts 3-0, on their way to Multan. Nicholas Pooran’s side currently sits on the fourth spot with eight wins from 18 matches.

Pakistan with six wins in 12 matches are 10th with 60 points.

Pakistan captain Babar Azam: “It is a really exciting moment for me to lead Pakistan in Multan for this all-important series. Multan is home to passionate cricket fans and it is great to be here. I am looking forward to the fans cheering the return of international cricket after a lengthy gap, and I am sure they will get to see some great cricket at the beautiful Multan Cricket Stadium.

“This is an important series for us as it holds important Super League points. The players have been putting in a lot of effort to prepare themselves for the West Indies challenge and we are eager to win another series and bag maximum points to consolidate our chances for direct qualification in the 2023 World Cup.”

West Indies captain Nicholas Pooran: “It feels good to be here. I have confidence in our guys after we did well in Netherlands and we are hoping to continue our good performances here in Pakistan.

An ODI win in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League fixture adds 10 points to a team’s tally.

The three ODIs will be played on 8, 10 and 12 June with the matches beginning at 1600 (local time).

Last edited:
West Indies ODI squad in their only practice session ahead of the 1st game tomorrow

BB45ocN.png

XblEYe0.png

HXgNKj5.png

I5H44F5.png

Last edited:
Pakistan ODI squad practicing ahead of the series opener in Multan

zSbAqNw.png

MMjFIfn.png

yXQaZht.png

o0UnLHU.png

Last edited:
MULTAN, Pakistan (AP) — Intensive heat will test the fitness of players when Pakistan hosts the West Indies in the three-match limited-overs international series starting Wednesday.

The temperature is expected to top 45 degrees Celsius (113 F) this week in Multan, and organizers have pushed back the starting time for games to 4 p.m. local time to offer some respite.

Players will be given ice collars and vests during stoppages in play, and extra water breaks to keep them hydrated.

“We’ll try to make the guys understand what they have to do personally to hydrate themselves properly both before, during and after the games,” West Indies coach Phil Simmons said Tuesday.

“The heat is going to be extreme, (but) Pakistan are playing in the heat, too, so it’s going to be an even contest when we start the day. How we deal with it before, during and after is going to help us a lot.”

The Pakistan Cricket Board relocated the series to Multan from Rawalpindi last week because of the uncertain political situation in the country. The opposition, led by former Prime Minister Imran Khan, is planning rallies in the federal capital Islamabad, which is adjacent to Rawalpindi.

West Indies are coming off a 3-0 series win over Netherlands last week at Amstelveen, where their top order scored prolifically. Shamarh Brooks, Shai Hope and Kyle Mayers scored centuries while Brandon King made 91 not out in the second game.

The spinners -- Akeal Hosein and Hayden Walsh Jr -- took the bulk of the wickets, combining for 12.

West Indies will be strengthened by the return of Rovman Powell and Romario Shepherd, who both missed the series against the Netherlands because of visa issues. Both players were to join the team in Multan late Tuesday.

“That series was good in a way because it gave guys a chance to settle in as a team,” Simmons said. “It’s a young team. It’s a case where we needed to play properly. We needed to keep improving and we did that during the series, so it was a good preparation.”

The ODI series in Pakistan was postponed last year after a COVID-19 outbreak in the West Indies squad during the preceding Twenty20 series.

Pakistan has spent a week in Lahore, where the weather is similar to Multan. Captain Babar Azam hoped the players were well prepared.

“Definitely, it is hot, but we are having a conditioning camp and acclimatising to the weather,” Babar said. “As a professional, you have to handle these situations. We do go out to other countries to play, and even during our time in the UAE, we used to face similar temperatures. I think it won’t be a problem.”

Pakistan has a strong top order with the likes of left-handers Imam-ul-Haq and Fakhar Zaman opening the innings. Babar, in the middle order, is in the form of his life and has scored prolifically in all the three formats of the game.

Vice-captain Shadab Khan and allrounder Mohammad Nawaz are returning to the ODI team from injuries. Pakistan also has a formidable fast bowling attack with Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf and Hasan Ali all performing well in the English county championship.

“We already have openers who are doing well and they are the priority, and you always make your best ones your priority,” Babar said. “These games are crucial for us, and to build a team you have to give players consistent chances.”

AP

Keemo Paul added to ODI squad for West Indies tour of Pakistan

ST JOHN'S, Antigua - The Cricket West Indies (CWI) Selection Panel has added allrounder Keemo Paul to the squad for the upcoming One-Day International Series in Pakistan. The West Indies arrived in Multan on Monday, after the impressive 3-0 series win in The Netherlands. They will now prepare to face Pakistan at the Multan International Cricket Stadium on June 8, 10 and 12.

Lead Selector, the Most Honorable Dr. Desmond Haynes said: “Keemo Paul has been kept out in the recent past due to injury and we view the management of his body as paramount to his success, not only when on West Indies duty but also when he is with his regional franchise. We have watched him perform in the recent West Indies Championship Four-Day Competition for the Guyana Harpy Eagles and we think he is ready to come back into the fold.”

During the first-class tournament Paul was the leading fast bowler and second highest wicket-taker overall. He ended the five matches with 20 wickets at an average of 22.8 runs per wicket. He had best figures of 6-50. He was also among the leading allrounders with 169 runs including a highest score of 73.

The West Indies tour of Pakistan will bowl off on Wednesday, June 8. First ball is 4pm PKT time (7am Eastern Caribbean/6am Jamaica). The series will also form part of the ICC ODI Super League, where the team will have the chance to earn points as they try to secure automatic qualification to the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in India.

FULL SQUAD

Nicholas Pooran (Captain)

Shai Hope (Vice Captain)

Nkrumah Bonner

Shamarh Brooks

Keacy Carty

Akeal Hosein

Alzarri Joseph

Brandon King

Shermon Lewis

Kyle Mayers

Keemo Paul