[VIDEOS] Babar Azam vs Virat Kohli at the ICC World Cup 2023

LOL, his best ever inning.... Pakistan was 100+ for 1 in 20 over and plays 70(90) kind of knock against Afg. I am sure he has better knocks.
It wasn’t the easiest of wickets to bat on and he sucks against spin. Taking that into consideration, I rate this innings higher than some 100 he scored against New Zealand C side at home.

It wasn’t the easiest of wickets to bat on and he sucks against spin. Taking that into consideration, I rate this innings higher than some 100 he scored against New Zealand C side at home.
Considering how poor he is against spin, it was a decent knock. I don't follow all games, but I think he has better knocks against spin that this. He was going no where and just before getting out he hit 6.

Considering how poor he is against spin, it was a decent knock. I don't follow all games, but I think he has better knocks against spin that this. He was going no where and just before getting out he hit 6.
His strike rate wasn’t the best but at least he didn’t get out early. Had he got out early, Pakistan would have been all out for under 220.

The bar is low for Babar when it comes to good innings. For someone like Virat Kohli, this 70(90) innings would be considered below average, but for someone like Babar, it is a good innings.

No. A team has to perform in league matches first to reach knockouts. Kohli's inning against Aus and NZ is one of the main reason that India is almost in semis now. He has single handedly taken team to semis with his batting.

Even if he fails in KOs, it should be responsibility of guys like Gill, KL, Iyer, Rohit etc to win the match for India.

Btw he scored crucial 35 when India was 2 down in 2011 final, top scorer in 2013 CT final, top scorer 77(58) in 2014 T20 final which India lost due to poor batting of Rahane. Yes he has fare share of failure in knockouts but has played important part in last 2 ICC trophies of India.

We all want him to perform in knockouts of 2023 WC but if any batsman who shouldn't be criticised in case of failure in KOs of 2023 WC, it's Virat Kohli.

True that. Really well said. Agree 100%

@Mobashir

According to your selfish-o-meter, how selfish was Babar’s innings against India, Afghanistan and South Africa?

Dismissed almost immediately after getting to his milestones at a slow SR. All three knocks had zero impact on the match.

I want to hear your thoughts.
All three innings had negative impact on the game. They were too slow and all three opponent teams showed that the pitches were pretty batting friendly

Name
Matches
Runs
Avge
Strike rate
4s
6s
Babar Azam​
6​
207​
34.50​
79.00​
19​
2​
Virat Kohli​
5​
354​
118.00​
90.53​
29​
6​
Using simple ratio proportion :), Babar has actually matched Virat's boundary hitting. But the difference in S/R and runs shows how poor he has been in rotating the strike or running twos. It also means he has allowed bowlers to bowl with their cliched rhythm and maybe even caused the batsman at the other end to take chances.

Name
Matches
Runs
Avge
Strike rate
4s
6s
Babar Azam​
6​
207​
34.50​
79.00​
19​
2​
Virat Kohli​
5​
354​
118.00​
90.53​
29​
6​
You are seeing just stat , Yesterday when Babar made 50 That wicket was proper 5th day test wicket so his 50 are more valuable than 150 run knock and when he made 50 against Afganistan that wasn't less than 100* against that no 1 spin attack and against India who has best attack so far his inning worth 150 run. Don't compare so just stat ,Babar was king and will remain 👑Best batsman of era.

Name
Matches
Runs
Avge
Strike rate
4s
6s
Babar Azam​
6​
207​
34.50​
79.00​
19​
2​
Virat Kohli​
5​
354​
118.00​
90.53​
29​
6​
Actually, even these stats don’t tell us how bad Babar has been, an avg of 34 seems decent on paper but he has had no positive impact on any game .

Poor inning today. He needs to improve his game against spin bowling.

No comparrision with virat, he knows how to absorb pressure at bigger events.

He knows his strength and plays his game accordingly while babar azam is all over the place these days.

Change of mind. I suggested Rizwan vs Babar. Change it to Shafique vs Babar. Similar style of accumulation. So far Shafique is doing very well.

Virat improved his game against swing , Babar has regressed massively against spin.

there really isn't any comparison to be fair its not always about rankings averages or strike rates what matters is who is a match winner for their team.

Kohli missed 3rd century in this World Cup.
I hope he will score a century against South Africa on his birthday on November 5th.

Babar Azam - 7 (innings); Runs - 216; Ave - 30.85; SR - 77.69; 100's - 0; 50's - 3

Virat Kohli - 7 (innings); Runs - 442; Ave - 88.40; SR - 89.47; 100's -1; 50's - 4

Kohlis strike rotation, running between the wickets, converting ones into twos, twos into threes, release shots for 4's, walking down the pitch to change the length of the bowler has been the difference.

Babar is a very predictable stale batsman. He has also wasted 3 free hits this tournament. It won't be long before the PCB gives him the Angelo Mathews treatment

Babar Azam - 7 (innings); Runs - 216; Ave - 30.85; SR - 77.69; 100's - 0; 50's - 3

Virat Kohli - 7 (innings); Runs - 442; Ave - 88.40; SR - 89.47; 100's -1; 50's - 4
Ang guess what? :ashwin

Kohli is yet to be dismissed by a spinner in this world cup.
Babar has been dismissed by spinners 5 times.

Babar Azam, despite being in the infancy of his career in 2019 batted better than his more accomplished rival at the last world cup.

InningsInningsRunsAverageHighest Score100s/50s6s/4s
Babar Azam847467.71101*1/32/50
Virat Kohli944355.37820/52/38

Can Kohli finally have a world cup to remember and prove his superiority once and for all? Or will Babar show that he is in fact, the best ODI batsman of all time by defeating Kohli at the scoring charts yet again?

We will find out soon enough.

You conveniently decided not to display their strike rates. Instead you put up their 6s/4s to make Babar look like the more dynamic batsman but Kohli's strike rate was significantly higher.

Be honest with your analysis rather than trying to act superior from a belief perspective.

Okay, so Pandya is superior to Babar now. Pandya is not a number 3 player, to be honest. He is more of a lower-order batsman with the ability to finish games which he has not done yet. No comparison for me between these 2 players.

Give me Pandya over Babar and Imam (combined) in ODIs any day of the week.

Kohli has crossed the 500-run mark in this World Cup.
Currently, he is in the number 2 position with 543 runs, just behind QDK who has scored 550 runs.
Difference is 7 runs.

Babar Azam, despite being in the infancy of his career in 2019 batted better than his more accomplished rival at the last world cup.

Can Kohli finally have a world cup to remember and prove his superiority once and for all? Or will Babar show that he is in fact, the best ODI batsman of all time by defeating Kohli at the scoring charts yet again?

Virat Kohli 8 Inns 543 runs 108.60 avg SR 88.29

Babar Azam 8 Inns 280 runs 40.28 avg SR 82.69

unless Babar scores a 300 in the match against England, don't see any chance of Babar overtaking Virat.
Kohli had a WC to remember whereas Babar has flopped big time in crunch games and moments.

So, Have we found out what you were looking for? Which is that Virat is superior to Babar in all aspects and Babar can never be the best ODI batsman of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:

unless Babar scores a 300 in the match against England, don't see any chance of Babar overtaking Virat.
Kohli had a WC to remember whereas Babar has flopped big time in crunch games and moments.

So, @Bilal7 @Mobashir @Mamoon Have we found out what you were looking for? Which is that Virat is superior to Babar in all aspects and Babar can never
be the best ODI batsman of all time.
He isn’t even among the top 50 ODI batsman of all time.

Babar is dravid level player in ODIs minus the mental strength that Dravid possessed.

The main lesson here is that stats built up by players against minnows can fool the less discerning fans into believing that average players are good, and the good great.

I’ll tell you this - in less than a year, OP or some other fan will come back again with the same arguments and the same past statistics to ‘show’ how Babar was a better player.

It’s ok Babar and Rizwan will remain undisputed champions of KO ..

Babar is dravid level player in ODIs minus the mental strength that Dravid possessed.
Dravid was so good in his debut WC considering different eras and conditions in England in the 1999 vs 2019. He scored 461 vs 474 of Babar.
In 1999 the weather was all rainy and ball swung a lot. Babar would have been back in the hut pretty quickly in such conditions

The main lesson here is that stats built up by players against minnows can fool the less discerning fans into believing that average players are good, and the good great.

I’ll tell you this - in less than a year, OP or some other fan will come back again with the same arguments and the same past statistics to ‘show’ how Babar was a better player.
Well the stats and all is fine, but if you look at the table he presented he deliberately listed the number of 4s and 6s instead of Strike rate. Virat's strike rate is always higher then Babar. That is intellectual dishonesty and trying to prove a fallacy based on data elimination. Basically fallacy of data driven analysis. He had made up his mind about the conclusion, so he just presented it in such a way.

Well the stats and all is fine, but if you look at the table he presented he deliberately listed the number of 4s and 6s instead of Strike rate. Virat's strike rate is always higher then Babar. That is intellectual dishonesty and trying to prove a fallacy based on data elimination. Basically fallacy of data driven analysis. He had made up his mind about the conclusion, so he just presented it in such a way.

Good catch.

If I see an obviously ridiculous statement or point of view - the Babar versus Kohli debate started by OP in this case - I don’t even engage.

So I didn’t even bother to read that analysis, because I knew it was made to fit a predetermined conclusion.

Thag way I avoid heartburn and avoid wasting time :)

Last edited by a moderator:

So, Have we found out what you were looking for? Which is that Virat is superior to Babar in all aspects and Babar can never be the best ODI batsman of all time.

Million dollar question is. is he the best batsman in his own team? I can say atleast 4 guys outperformed him.

Dravid was so good in his debut WC considering different eras and conditions in England in the 1999 vs 2019. He scored 461 vs 474 of Babar.
In 1999 the weather was all rainy and ball swung a lot. Babar would have been back in the hut pretty quickly in such conditions
Dravid Improved after 97 in odis.Till then he is a pure accumulator at 50 strike rate.Independence cup match against sl was a prime example of torture. I think he scored 70 of 140 balls.

@Bilal7

I worked out very early that you only followed cricket a week or two maybe before the World Cup and wasn’t following it before.

Should be careful about what you post with a limited view on cricket.
But he wasn't the only one who was claiming such ridiculous things. There are about a dozen fanboys who were singing the chorus of Babar the 🐐 not so long ago. What do you have to say about them? Do all them have limited knowledge? Or they are just too young & immatured to realize their delusion? Finally how long will this farce continue? Before every tournament he gets overhyped to the moon & then he fails miserably on everyone of them & the fanclub goes into hibernation.

9 matches, 320 runs, Average 40, 4 half centuries

Babar Azam’s final figures at the World Cup. At present he’s #21 among batters at the CWC 2023

He didn’t have a disastrous World Cup but he should have had a much better World Cup given the conditions were very good for batting.

He did score 4 half centuries, should have converted a few of them to big scores. The game vs Bharat he missed our, should have gone big vs Aussies.

It is like comparing a chess grandmaster with a chess master. There is a big gulf in quality between the two categories, but why let that come in the way of making odious comparisons ?

Finishing 21st after 9 matches in a batting World Cup is quite sad for a player of his calibre.

He would have to have a phenomenal 2027 World Cup to recover from this.

The league stage has ended. And here's how they both stand -

Babar Azam - 9 (innings); Runs - 320; Ave - 40; SR - 82.90; 100's - 0; 50's - 4

Virat Kohli
- 9 (innings); Runs - 592; Ave - 99; SR - 88.75; 100's -2; 50's - 5

Kohli is currently the highest scorer in this World Cup.

It's a comparison between a player who performs 99% times in big matches / tournaments whenever his team needs him most with a player who surrenders 99% times in big matches / tournaments.

And this is why I refuse to open my mouth before my desired results actually happen on the field. I made the mistake of opening my mouth during the Pak vs New Zealand match after the 1st innings, and ended up with humble pies.

Complete failure in patta wicket...even rachin ravindra surpassed him in this wc

Forget Rachin, Ibrahim Zadran and Azmatullah have had better tournaments than Babar.

Even old man Mahmudullah has in his dotage outplayed Babar with one match less played.

Babar fans want to talk about Kohli, lol first let Babar surpass Mahmudullah's world cup record.

Forget Rachin, Ibrahim Zadran and Azmatullah have had better tournaments than Babar.

Even old man Mahmudullah has in his dotage outplayed Babar with one match less played.

Babar fans want to talk about Kohli, lol first let Babar surpass Mahmudullah's world cup record.
LOL, he is not even half the batsman that Sourav Ganguly was.

Remember how a certain Babar fan was claiming before the World Cup that he is already better than 99% of all Indian batsmen till date, and that only Sachin and Kohli were ahead of him among all Indian batsmen till date? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Comparing Babar to Kohli is like comparing Rizwan to Dhoni, an absolute joke

One is a match winner who has played innings most players dream about, and he has repeated these innings mulitple times. The other one is a serial match loser who could have been a decent player if he focused on his batting rather than trying to turn a once good, soon to be great cricketing Xi into a friendship club which excludes anyone on merit.

Remember how a certain Babar fan was claiming before the World Cup that he is already better than 99% of all Indian batsmen till date, and that only Sachin and Kohli were ahead of him among all Indian batsmen till date? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Hibernation period for most of them. Being a fan is fine as long as there is some rationality in comparison.

Some seriously emotional posts from pakistani fans. Because Babar did not match Kohli's peak does not mean he's not been great and invaluable to his team.

I am trying to imagine the state of Pakistan's batting for the last 5-6 years without Babar in it - it'd be shambles. To me, he gets extra points for propping up a wet noodle of a batting line-up. Kohli never had to face this in his career - always had Dhoni, Rohit, KL, Dhawan holding up the other end.

The league stage has ended. And here's how they both stand -

Babar Azam - 9 (innings); Runs - 320; Ave - 40; SR - 82.90; 100's - 0; 50's - 4

Virat Kohli
- 9 (innings); Runs - 592; Ave - 99; SR - 88.75; 100's -2; 50's - 5

Kohli is currently the highest scorer in this World Cup.

Kohli’s output has been almost double

This is quite crazy

On behalf of all Bharatiya fans, Thank you so much for opening this thread. 🤗

That does not take away the fact that Babar is the best batsman in the current Pakistani lineup especially in SENA

Don't pls don't compare him with others.

Back