[VIDEOS] Pakistan to host Champions Trophy 2025

How about PAK co host CT with UAE? ONLY India matches in UAE even Pak v Ind in Dubai. Rest of the matches in Pakistan.

How about PAK co host CT with UAE? ONLY India matches in UAE even Pak v Ind in Dubai. Rest of the matches in Pakistan.
Why would we do that? If paksitan team can go to India there are no excuses anymore either you come and play in pakistan or forfeit the tournament

Without India CT will lose most of its revenue. PCB needs to find a way to make up this revenue shortfall.

They should ask the government for help. Reach out to all Pakistani corporates to chip in.

Raise money via subscription.

If PCB is able to make up the revenue shortfall, CT will be held in Pakistan.

Threats of boycott won't work with BCCI. BCCI has long insulated itself from Pakistan Cricket.

So PCB must convince the ICC members that the losses will be made up by PCB.
Absolutely, thats a reasonable suggestion.

I guess mostly India will forfeit the tournament if it's held in Pak. There should be no change of venue.

Looks like Afg has qualified for that already now. England or Bangladesh whoever finishes 9th can get that spot in place of India.

I guess mostly India will forfeit the tournament if it's held in Pak. There should be no change of venue.

Looks like Afg has qualified for that already now. England or Bangladesh whoever finishes 9th can get that spot in place of India.
Fair suggestion. Its fine if India does not want to come. Completely within their rights. This will also give England the chance to qualify which i am happy about. And also Pakistan should also from thereon not visit India.

Fair suggestion. Its fine if India does not want to come. Completely within their rights. This will also give England the chance to qualify which i am happy about. And also Pakistan should also from thereon not visit India.
Yes
They should have forfeited this wc but pcb is just mehh

No one should be bullied for change of venue like this everytime

That is forfeit. Afghanistan/ England can replace us
For all the emotional or sarcastic responses above - the fact is that there will be no CT without Ind participation. Ind being there probably generates 90% of the CT revenue. If Ind forfeits , there is no CT. And PCB is not cancelling the CT due to emotional outbursts here. PCB will bend over backwards to the BCCI to accommodate their request irrespective of the public bravado. ( again correct or not , right or wrong that is beyond the scope here above my pay grade - an just stating the ground realities) . After all bills have to be paid and expenses taken care of. For all the song and drama , the most probable outcome is a hybrid games with Pak games in Pak and Ind games in Dubai ; mix of other games in Pak and Dubai, 1 sf Pak , 1sf Dubai , final dubai. Or maybe it will be Bang or SL like last time. Now that I think about it , as it's in Feb which is not monsoon time in SL or Bang - it will be a hybrid model between Pak & SL/Bang.

For all the emotional or sarcastic responses above - the fact is that there will be no CT without Ind participation. Ind being there probably generates 90% of the CT revenue. If Ind forfeits , there is no CT. And PCB is not cancelling the CT due to emotional outbursts here. PCB will bend over backwards to the BCCI to accommodate their request irrespective of the public bravado. ( again correct or not , right or wrong that is beyond the scope here above my pay grade - an just stating the ground realities) . After all bills have to be paid and expenses taken care of. For all the song and drama , the most probable outcome is a hybrid games with Pak games in Pak and Ind games in Dubai ; mix of other games in Pak and Dubai, 1 sf Pak , 1sf Dubai , final dubai. Or maybe it will be Bang or SL like last time. Now that I think about it , as it's in Feb which is not monsoon time in SL or Bang - it will be a hybrid model between Pak & SL/Bang.

I think Pakistan and UAE would be a bad decision. It can cause too much traveling for certain teams.

Better to host in Pakistan and SL/BD.

I think Pakistan and UAE would be a bad decision. It can cause too much traveling for certain teams.

Better to host in Pakistan and SL/BD.
Yeah Pak & SL/Bang is the best option. Total 15 games in CT , so if you take 3 Ind league games, 1sf, 1 final - thats a total of 5 games in SL/Bang. And Pak has 10 games left that can be played in Pak.

I am not comfortable with Bharat sending its team to Pakistan for as long as the political situation doesn’t get any better. Sports is good but the country should always come first and we in Bharat stand by our nation proudly.

I am not comfortable with Bharat sending its team to Pakistan for as long as the political situation doesn’t get any better. Sports is good but the country should always come first and we in Bharat stand by our nation proudly.
Bhaijaan- ind team will be fine in pak security wise.. they will get presidential level security.. the issue is political. Ind gov will not send ind team to pak unless their relations improve. It is what it is.
Pak has no option but to send their team to ind or else their finances will take a hit. Again it is what it is. Pak gov gave clearance to pcb to play in Ind. Ind gov will not give clearance to bcci to play in pak. It is what it is..pcb has to work within these parameters . It's just a logjam..

Bhaijaan- ind team will be fine in pak security wise.. they will get presidential level security.. the issue is political. Ind gov will not send ind team to pak unless their relations improve. It is what it is.
Pak has no option but to send their team to ind or else their finances will take a hit. Again it is what it is. Pak gov gave clearance to pcb to play in Ind. Ind gov will not give clearance to bcci to play in pak. It is what it is..pcb has to work within these parameters . It's just a logjam..

It’s not that.
I know that the security and the hospitality will be good.

It’s just that i am not blinded by sports to forget what is happening in the real world.

I WANT the two nations to have cordial relationship and afterwards we should have trade , sports and everything going.

Until then, it feels wrong to be playing cricket and engaging in fun when in actual the two nations are international foes.

It’s not that.
I know that the security and the hospitality will be good.

It’s just that i am not blinded by sports to forget what is happening in the real world.

I WANT the two nations to have cordial relationship and afterwards we should have trade , sports and everything going.

Until then, it feels wrong to be playing cricket and engaging in fun when in actual the two nations are international foes.
Ok.. Why doesn't India boycott playing against Pakistan in ICC events?

Why do they get engaged in fun specifically in all major events?

Isn't this the height of hypocrisy?

Ok.. Why doesn't India boycott playing against Pakistan in ICC events?

Why do they get engaged in fun specifically in all major events?

Isn't this the height of hypocrisy?
That is the get around. Ind plays pak in "icc" events like WC, ct or "acc" events asia cup because these involve multiple teams and it's a global event and not a mutual bilateral. These events are not just about ind or pak but multiple other teams as well. And it works well for all as there's an icc or acc event year now and ind pak will get to play a game every year. A work around compromise between bcci and ind gov. If ind gov says no cricket with pak even in icc or acc events - bcci has no choice but to to withdraw from these.
And without ind none of these events are financially profitable. A compromise for all that everyone can live with - pcb bcci , other boards - and ensure the viability of the game of cricket. That's all it is.. a compromise till both Gov relations improve which may take decades, generations or maybe never... its what it is just the reality..

Let's be honest, politics is a matter of convenience between these nations.

The average person shouldn't read too much into these things or get riled up. It's obvious both nations' governments do as they please and twist things to fit their political/financial goals.

The best example is India hosting Pakistan for the WC and then making the Ahmedabad game a Super Bowl (American football) type event. They literally sent BCCI officials to Lahore before the tournament to keep things positive. If there was proper hatred at the political level, a Pakistani would never have been allowed to step on Indian soil and India would rather have forfeited its hosting rights or split the hosting with another nation to keep Pakistan outside the country.

It's obvious that didn't happen because $$$ always wins. A game in India was a much bigger spectacle with improved ad rates and marketing potential.

Also got to realize that cricket is played only by a handful countries unlike soccer and is dominated especially financially 90 % by one country unlike soccer. And these other nations get their most revenue only when ind is involved. So I would say it is ind duty to play pak in icc or acc events as other countries will otherwise be affected for no fault of theirs. And cricket needs to grow..

One instance I will mention here is the Russian athletes or sportspersons not allowed in global events like Olympics or tennis events or other multi nation global event. These are just individual normal people if Russia who participate in a global event. So it's unfair to ban them. But no country needs to individually engage Russia in a bilateral sports event...its a global event where all countries are participating. Heck US will not engage Iran in bilateral soccer but played Iran in the world cup soccer as it's a global event and not just about US or iran.

it depends on whether they can build Rafi Stadium on time. Speaking of this new stadium, I’m surprised no one mentions it on PP.

Let's be honest, politics is a matter of convenience between these nations.

The average person shouldn't read too much into these things or get riled up. It's obvious both nations' governments do as they please and twist things to fit their political/financial goals.

The best example is India hosting Pakistan for the WC and then making the Ahmedabad game a Super Bowl (American football) type event. They literally sent BCCI officials to Lahore before the tournament to keep things positive. If there was proper hatred at the political level, a Pakistani would never have been allowed to step on Indian soil and India would rather have forfeited its hosting rights or split the hosting with another nation to keep Pakistan outside the country.

It's obvious that didn't happen because $$$ always wins. A game in India was a much bigger spectacle with improved ad rates and marketing potential.

I respectfully disagree with you.
I love sports and I love fierce rivalries like what we have with Aussies and English at present. With Pakistan however, the situation is such that we have no political relationship. Imran Khan has for 2 years straight called our Pre Minister every derogatory thing he could. We have had Uri incident where our soldiers died due to a terrorist attack. We had Mumbai terrorist attack in 2010 where so many people died.

To seek pleasure in some sport when all this is happening simultaneously is just wrong , sports are meant to played fiercely but between friendly nations.

I absolutely want political tensions to be resolved but until we achieve it, we don’t have an ideal situation to engage in sports.

People already complained about hostility from Ahmedabad crowd and the derogatory chants hurled by groups of fans. This cannot be stopped practically given the political situation. We don’t want this in sports and we also cannot stop people because their actions are also somewhat understandable.

PCB must emphasis from now on that whole tournament must have been played in pakistan.

They should not accept hybrid model.

PCB must emphasis from now on that whole tournament must have been played in pakistan.

They should and probably will accept any hybrid model if presented to them. There wouldn’t be a Champions Trophy without India and India’s govt’s stance is well-known.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afghanistan qualifies for CT25. This means last 2 spots are still up for grabs between Netherland, Sri Lanka, England, and Bangladesh.

Of these, Bangladesh is the only team that looks in danger of losing the spot, at the most they can get is 6 points (at the end of the league stage) where as Netherlands and Sri Lanka already have 4 points with 2 games to go while England has 3 games to go with 2 points in hand.

Afghanistan qualifies for CT25. This means last 2 spots are still up for grabs between Netherland, Sri Lanka, England, and Bangladesh.

Of these, Bangladesh is the only team that looks in danger of losing the spot, at the most they can get is 6 points (at the end of the league stage) where as Netherlands and Sri Lanka already have 4 points with 2 games to go while England has 3 games to go with 2 points in hand.

Bangladesh are most likely to miss it.

It looks like it.

It will be a shame, though.

I believe ICC tournaments need all big teams participating with great fan following.

Only realistic way Bangladesh can pull it off is if these two things happen:

1) BD beating Sri Lanka by a good margin.
2) SL and Netherlands not winning any further game and losing badly.

If these two things happen, all 3 teams would be tied to 4 points. BD can then go through if NRR is good enough (all 3 now have poor NRRs).

I am all for a Champions Trophy being played without India. But then ICC and PCB are not there for charity or for spreading cricket globally. They are there to make money and 90 % of money comes from India. Let them for once walk the talk and organise a tournament without Indian participation.

Great news for Afghanistan as they are now assured of a place in the Trophy

That's not possible. Broadcasters will never accept an ICC tournament without India

So we will be left with 2 options:
1) hybrid with the final in the UAE
2) Boycott

That is why I strongly feel we should have boycotted a meaningless tournament such as the Asia Cup. It would have sent out a message to ICC and BCCI that if you unfairly take a tournament away from Pakistan, then Pakistan has the guts to boycott.

But now, all is lost.

BCCI are clever, they would start off by demanding the whole tournament being shifted out of Pakistan, so getting the hybrid model accepted would seem like a win for the PCB.

Boycott Champions trophy if it's not hosted completely in Pak.
Asia cup is past but PCB can still sent out message to the world that Pakistan has guts to boycott.

Boycott Champions trophy if it's not hosted completely in Pak.
Asia cup is past but PCB can still sent out message to the world that Pakistan has guts to boycott.
We get 35 million dollars every year from the ICC. This money is vital in sustaining the cricket ecosystem in our country.

Boycott is easier said than done.

That's not possible. Broadcasters will never accept an ICC tournament without India

So we will be left with 2 options:
1) hybrid with the final in the UAE
2) Boycott

That is why I strongly feel we should have boycotted a meaningless tournament such as the Asia Cup. It would have sent out a message to ICC and BCCI that if you unfairly take a tournament away from Pakistan, then Pakistan has the guts to boycott.

But now, all is lost.

BCCI are clever, they would start off by demanding the whole tournament being shifted out of Pakistan, so getting the hybrid model accepted would seem like a win for the PCB.

We get 35 million dollars every year from the ICC. This money is vital in sustaining the cricket ecosystem in our country.

Boycott is easier said than done.
Pak cant boycott bcos of the financial revenue. Also Asia cup , CT etc is not just about the host Pak. Its the revenue that goes to other countries as well. So if Pak demands 100% CT in Pak and if BCCI pulls out , all the other countries will pull out as well. As long as Pak gets most of the games except the Ind games - it's helpful for other countries. Hybrid model is the best..For all the bravado here from the posters and the PCB on Asia cup - ultimately Ind didnt tour Pak and Pak only got few games. FWIW - Rameez Raja is now commentating in Ind and Zaka Sharif wined and dined with BCCI officials with no care for the gullible Pak supporters..If any Pak supporters issue should be with PCB if they want Pak to boycott CT and not at BCCI or other countries.. Associate countries get their only revenue from these ICC events.
Pak needs to be smart and try to get all non Ind games this time for CT.

Their is no way India will come . So 9th team in this WC will replace them . Pakistan can’t do a hybrid model here. They have to go ahead without India . India will accept not playing this tournament.

Enough of this . First of all ICC should make it clear with India are they coming or not before giving any hosting rights to Pakistan . It becomes messy and this isn’t WC Pakistan can go ahead and host without India . But not accept any co hosting model . Asia cup was different story cause India is the Asian giant . But here Australia kiwis SA can light up tournament still .

Some interesting news - from a Guardian Report:

There is also the question of what this would do to the 50-over format, the future of which was already the source of some debate before this current World Cup. With men’s Champions Trophies slated for 2025 and 2029, and men’s T20 World Cups down for 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2030 – plus Twenty20 being the chosen format for the 2028 Olympics – even further saturation would result.

As one broadcast insider put it, this would likely “kill off” the one-day format, even with 50-over World Cup rights already sold in some territories for both the 2027 edition in South Africa and 2031 in India and Bangladesh. Bilateral ODIs would certainly be further diminished, with countries likely to prioritise the shorter white-ball game during the gaps between the global events.

A source at the global governing body has said “nothing formal” has been put to its board. But then Disney Star, paying $3bn (£2.44bn) to screen global events between 2023 and the end of 2027 in India, are the governing body’s ultimate masters. And the men’s Champions Trophy, first staged in 1998 as the ICC KnockOut trophy, has always chiefly been about revenue.

Working on the basis it will survive untouched, the 2025 Champions Trophy – due to be hosted by Pakistan, albeit with the United Arab Emirates possibly staging India matches – has cricketing benefits and not least for a side like England. This current World Cup is likely to be followed by a changing of the guard, with the next generation of white-ball players needing tournament exposure given the lowly status of domestic 50-over cricket.

Eventually the ODI format will be consigned into the dustbin.

There is no demand for more ODI cricket in the cricketing calendar. Conversely leagues are taking up more and more space. There’s only so much cricket to go around. Something has to make way.

It just depends on whether the ICC wants to let 50 over cricket fade out gradually or force it out of the door.

Absolutely.. odis have been a drag and the viewership is less. And an fyi- I for one used to watch 5 day test cricket and odis- so am not a odi hater. But yeah even I find odis a drag. And my generation wants to take kids and family to t20s. Odis are too long and one sided.. whereas t20s are close games - and one sided games are way less. Evens up the game even for Associates. 1 odi WC every 4 years is all that should be. All other icc events should be t20 only. T20s are the present and future and the only way to grow the game.

Firmly believe this ct should be a t20 format.

Now I'm excited to see how Pakistan will manage to make this mega event exciting for all of us.

And I hope to see our team lifting the ICC cup on home soil.

PCB signs ICC Champions Trophy hosting rights agreement with ICC

The Pakistan Cricket Board signed the ICC Champions Trophy 2025 hosting rights agreement with the International Cricket Council (ICC) in Dubai on Friday.

Chairman PCB Management Committee Mr Zaka Ashraf was joined by ICC General Counsel Jonathan Hall in the signing of the hosting rights to Pakistan at the ICC headquarters.

The PCB in its capacity has already intimated the government to provide foolproof security to visiting international teams for the Champions Trophy. Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar in a recent meeting with Chairman PCB Management Committee assured the security agencies’ cooperation in the successful hosting of the ICC Champions Trophy 2025.

A remarkable achievement for Pakistan. A massive congratulations to the people of Pakistan. Let's make this event memorable.

Great achievement today, Alhamdulillah. Cant wait for Pakistan to host the tournament and for Pakistani people to finally enjoy a global tournament in their country. Really happy!

Wow that’s big news, the hosting agreement will give them massive leverage if the BCCI acts up.

Take a look at the PSL 2024 schedule that has been released.

PCB has 4 stadiums in 4 cities, yet they are having difficulty in having a home and away schedule where games can be played simultaneously in 4 cities that they decided to divide the tournament in two legs.

First 16 matches are to be held in Lahore and Multan. The next 14 matches are to be held in Rawalpindi and Karachi. While 4 play off games (eliminators and final) are in Karachi alone.

PCB knows that it is the host for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025, and I thought that they were going to host it in Pakistan, they could had used this PSL to practice hosting a tournament in the whole country at the same time, instead of hosting in two cities and than moving after 20 days.

This is not how sports games are hosted. It seems that PCB will most likely host Champions trophy in UAE as they have shown that they dont have the capability to host in Pakistan

PCB policy is always subjective we all knew how they were humiliated as Asia Cup host and at 11th hr farcical arrangements were made, same will happen for CT25, All we should hope is that Pakistan cricket to stay relevant and show good performances

CT 2025: New PCB chairman Naqvi wants 'participation assurance' from BCCI at Dubai Meet

Newly appointed PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi would be eyeing an assurance from BCCI secretary Jay Shah on India's participation in next year's Champions Trophy in Pakistan during next week's ICC Meeting in Dubai but is unlikely to make headway as of now.

The ICC Executive board will meet in Dubai next week and Naqvi plans to speak to the global body's brass as well as Indian board's top boss Shah on the sidelines but for a tournament scheduled in February-March of 2025, there is no way that Indian board will right away make any commitments of travelling to Pakistan with nearly one year left.

While Champions Trophy is an ICC tournament and with every other cricketing nation travelling to Pakistan, the BCCI will not entirely close its door but any clearance from the government of India will not come at least weeks before the tournament commences.

"The biggest worry for the PCB is whether India will send its team to Pakistan and there is no repeat of last year’s Asia Cup issues," a PCB source said, citing the 'Hybrid Model' that was used last year. Last year, PCB was forced to agree to a sharing formula under which it hosted four games of the Asia Cup and the rest were held in Sri Lanka since the BCCI made it clear that it cannot send its team to Pakistan because of non-clearance from its government.

"This is an ICC event and Pakistan went last year to India for the World Cup. Naqvi will try to convince the ICC and BCCI that they need to confirm that India will be coming to Pakistan as early as possible as it will help promote the CT for them," the source added.

"Naqvi will try to assure the BCCI representatives that with elections (in Pakistan) completed and a new government in place, there will be no security or other concerns for them to play in Pakistan." The last time India toured Pakistan was back in 2008 when it played in the Asia Cup and since Pakistan has thrice been to India for the ICC World Cup events in 2011 (ODI World Cup), 2016 (T20 World Cup) and 2023 (ODI World Cup).

The source said Naqvi will also brief the ICC board about the upgradation of stadiums in Karachi, Lahore and Rawalpindi and the Pakistan government's stance on India playing in Pakistan.

When a BCCI source was asked, he gave a standard reply.

"Playing in Pakistan is something that only Indian government can decide and BCCI will have to follow the government diktat. Also it is too early to even ask for government's permission and if their new chairman is expecting some kind of assurance in March 2024 for a tournament in Feb-March 2025, he is mistaken," the BCCI source said.

Not looking this at all!

==

A 'hybrid model' to host next year's Champions Trophy in Pakistan remains an option as India's participation cannot be decided by the ICC if there is a government policy against it, a source in the governing body's all-powerful executive board told PTI on Friday. The ICC board meeting is currently underway in Dubai.

The Champions Trophy, which will be held in February-March 2025, is not on the agenda but newly-elected PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi has stated that he wants to speak with his BCCI counterpart Jay Shah as well as ICC bigwigs on the sidelines, seeking some kind of assurance.

However, an ICC Board member, who is privy to the developments, feels that any decision by BCCI, will only be taken closer to the tournament and once again, the idea of using UAE as a potential venue cannot be entirely discarded.

"Every member can raise concerns for discussion at Board meetings and then it would go to a vote. But if the government (of a member nation) expressly say that they can't play there, ICC would need to look for an alternative," a veteran administrator, who has attended multiple board meetings, told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

"....because ICC Board's position remains that it doesn't expect its members to go against any policy/instructions issued by its own government," he said.

Teams from England, Australia, New Zealand have all travelled to Pakistan in recent past and the BCCI will also be under pressure to visit the strife-torn country for the multi-nation engagement.

Asked if any hesitation from India would lead to a vote against the country, the source said such a situation would not arise if there is a government directive.

"Don't forget threat perception for an Indian cricket team would always be higher compared to Australia, England and New Zealand," said a former BCCI office-bearer, who is aware of the inner workings of the global body.

Will diplomacy work?

In January-February, the Indian Davis Cup team was in Islamabad for its World Group Play-off tie and the players as well as the support staff were satisfied with the security arrangements.

However, the stakes are considerably higher when it comes to the Indian cricket team featuring superstars like Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah and Rishabh Pant.

"The BCCI would obviously be compelled to look at it from the point of view that Pakistan government allowed its team to play in the World Cup in India last year.

"So, this being a global event and not a continental one like Asia Cup, the Indian government might take a softer stance. BCCI president Roger Binny and VP Rajiv Shukla had travelled to Pakistan during the Asia Cup," hoped the ICC board member.

Hybrid Model

The Champions Trophy, which originally started in 1998 as the 'Mini World Cup', is played between top eight teams in the ICC ODI Rankings. The last edition was held in 2017 in England and Wales and in the interim, ICC couldn't fit the tournament in an already packed calender for top cricket boards, who also now own lucrative T20 leagues.

In 2023, after the Indian government didn't allow its team to travel to Pakistan, it was held in 'Hybrid Model' with India playing all their matches, including both against Pakistan, in Sri Lanka.

With February and March being two ideal months to play cricket in the UAE and three international stadiums ready for use, it could well be the second country in a 'Hybrid Model' in case India doesn't want to travel to Pakistan.

The eight teams are expected to be divided into two groups and India's group matches could well be held in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.

I feel more confident with Naqvi at the helm. He is a capable guy unlike the clowns before him.

Not looking this at all!

==

A 'hybrid model' to host next year's Champions Trophy in Pakistan remains an option as India's participation cannot be decided by the ICC if there is a government policy against it, a source in the governing body's all-powerful executive board told PTI on Friday. The ICC board meeting is currently underway in Dubai.

The Champions Trophy, which will be held in February-March 2025, is not on the agenda but newly-elected PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi has stated that he wants to speak with his BCCI counterpart Jay Shah as well as ICC bigwigs on the sidelines, seeking some kind of assurance.

However, an ICC Board member, who is privy to the developments, feels that any decision by BCCI, will only be taken closer to the tournament and once again, the idea of using UAE as a potential venue cannot be entirely discarded.

"Every member can raise concerns for discussion at Board meetings and then it would go to a vote. But if the government (of a member nation) expressly say that they can't play there, ICC would need to look for an alternative," a veteran administrator, who has attended multiple board meetings, told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

"....because ICC Board's position remains that it doesn't expect its members to go against any policy/instructions issued by its own government," he said.

Teams from England, Australia, New Zealand have all travelled to Pakistan in recent past and the BCCI will also be under pressure to visit the strife-torn country for the multi-nation engagement.

Asked if any hesitation from India would lead to a vote against the country, the source said such a situation would not arise if there is a government directive.

"Don't forget threat perception for an Indian cricket team would always be higher compared to Australia, England and New Zealand," said a former BCCI office-bearer, who is aware of the inner workings of the global body.

Will diplomacy work?

In January-February, the Indian Davis Cup team was in Islamabad for its World Group Play-off tie and the players as well as the support staff were satisfied with the security arrangements.

However, the stakes are considerably higher when it comes to the Indian cricket team featuring superstars like Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah and Rishabh Pant.

"The BCCI would obviously be compelled to look at it from the point of view that Pakistan government allowed its team to play in the World Cup in India last year.

"So, this being a global event and not a continental one like Asia Cup, the Indian government might take a softer stance. BCCI president Roger Binny and VP Rajiv Shukla had travelled to Pakistan during the Asia Cup," hoped the ICC board member.

Hybrid Model

The Champions Trophy, which originally started in 1998 as the 'Mini World Cup', is played between top eight teams in the ICC ODI Rankings. The last edition was held in 2017 in England and Wales and in the interim, ICC couldn't fit the tournament in an already packed calender for top cricket boards, who also now own lucrative T20 leagues.

In 2023, after the Indian government didn't allow its team to travel to Pakistan, it was held in 'Hybrid Model' with India playing all their matches, including both against Pakistan, in Sri Lanka.

With February and March being two ideal months to play cricket in the UAE and three international stadiums ready for use, it could well be the second country in a 'Hybrid Model' in case India doesn't want to travel to Pakistan.

The eight teams are expected to be divided into two groups and India's group matches could well be held in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.
Honestly India won't come ever, a hybrid model is fine but if I'd try to propose Pakistan and uae as uae is also nearby making travel easy, plus uae is still viewed as Pakistan's 2nd home so Pakistan cam still function as hosts that way.

Please God as long as its not in Sri Lanka again.

Pakistan should 100% host CT in Pakistan.

If India don't want to play in Pakistan, they can sit out and let Sri Lanka play.
Fair enough. But the question arises whether the official broadcaster is ok with reduced revenues? In turn, is the ICC ok with reduced revenues? This would continue the domino effect with less $$$ available for distribution among the boards. Will the boards be ok with that?

The 'P' in PCB stands for punching bag, which the BCCI uses on an annual basis.

Why not just arrange the champions trophy without a team that is not willing to play in a specific country because of their political interference. Why pakistan has to suffer every time.

The Indian Government will decide the fate of CT25. Unless there is a dramatic uptick in relations between Pakistan and India in the coming year or so, the tournament will either be held on a hybrid basis or moved out of Pakistan. The rest is simply noise.

Why not just arrange the champions trophy without a team that is not willing to play in a specific country because of their political interference. Why pakistan has to suffer every time.

India/BCCI has so much power because other boards are spineless and focus on short-term gains.

I refuse to believe an ICC event can't be hosted without Indian money. The reason why India has so much leverage is because other boards allow it.

A question that must be posed to the ICC.

India/BCCI has so much power because other boards are spineless and focus on short-term gains.

I refuse to believe an ICC event can't be hosted without Indian money. The reason why India has so much leverage is because other boards allow it.
Sounds like you are saying there is a full on greed party going on between the ICC and other boards for BCCI $$$.

Then ICC should just merge with BCCI. No need for ICC when they cannot be independent and is controlled by just 1 board. This monopoly has to end now.

Then ICC should just merge with BCCI. No need for ICC when they cannot be independent and is controlled by just 1 board. This monopoly has to end now.
For this happen, other boards need to develop a backbone. Not just the boards, the ICC as well. I do not see it happening. This includes ECB and CA.

I think "shortsightedness" is the right word.

Other boards are shortsighted.
Though shortsightedness is a good description, the more apt description would be greed and selfishness. Plus thrown corruption in the mix.

Hybrid model is nonsense. If India doesn't fulfil its obligation, strict action must be taken by ICC.

No matter how powerful, no country should be allowed to dictate terms to ICC. If economic powerhouses like England, Germany, Spain, France, Brazil can't get special favors from FIFA, if Russia can be banned by IOC, no need to bow before a bully like India. I understand that in this case, BCCI is not making the decision, the Indian government is. BCCI would love to cash in on more Indo-Pak games, as any board would. But government wants an enemy nation in Pakistan, for polarizing the Indian voters.

Even though I am an Indian fan and missing an ICC tournament will be disappointing, I won't mind if 8 other teams play the CT. I will pay money to get subscription for those games, even if India doesn't play because sport is bigger than any one nation. For once I hope other boards show spine and do what is right, enough of short term gains and greed.

Back