[VIDEOS] Pat Cummins - The Mega Discussion

I know lillee struggled in Pakistan. Enough to write him off.
Cummins struggled a little in India but not as bad as Lille did in Pakistan.

Cummins is playing alongside goat Smith though.
Lille had not much help.

I still believe Cummins is the more complete bowler easily.

I actually believe that McGrath > Lillee, but you can't say you are 100% sure when you never saw him play

Pat Cummins.

He’s done it again.

A brilliant spell of 4-13 in 8 consecutive overs of pace and just enough movement to get the edge. The way it should be, Mitchell Starc, take notes!

I have always found something special about Cummins that neither Starc nor Hazelwood have. He’s the perfect combination of the two. The pace and fire of Starc with the line and length of Hazelwood.

He was the highest wicket-taker in the Ashes, had a fantastic ODI series where he outshined everyone, and is doing the same again in the current Test series in SA.

Here’s to hopes that he remains injury free and takes heaps of wickets.

Well done and long may it continue.

And continue it has. What a champ. What a beast.

Should be the VC permanently.

If he maintains this performance for next 6-7 years, he will be a GOAT test bowler. An extraordinary test bowler, averages 20 in England and South Africa as well.

Smith GOAT test batsman and Cummins GOAT test bowler, yet they aren't even the best team in the world.

If he maintains this performance for next 6-7 years, he will be a GOAT test bowler. An extraordinary test bowler, averages 20 in England and South Africa as well.

Smith GOAT test batsman and Cummins GOAT test bowler, yet they aren't even the best team in the world.
Seems like you have'nt seen Bumrah "at his best"

One poster was comparing Gillespie with Cummins. LOL.
You really need to be high on nostalgia to even think something like this.

One poster was comparing Gillespie with Cummins. LOL.
You really need to be high on nostalgia to even think something like this.
Probably because of the action and similar speeds. Cummins is way ahead of Gillespie though. He's in the zone like Mcgrath right now. Cummins has better speed & a better bouncer than Mcgrath as well. But we all know that Mcgrath was an anomoly. He just knew how to get people out in every conditions. So would be interesting to see Cummins bowl in Sub-continent.

Cummins is much better than McGrath in my opinion, like I said Cummins is already a great and a heart and soul player, and his fielding alone is awesome.

Cummins is much better than McGrath in my opinion, like I said Cummins is already a great and a heart and soul player, and his fielding alone is awesome.

Can't say much better, although Cummins is looking to be the best test bowlers of his generation

Much better in terms of viewership. In terms of wicket taking ability worldwide, Mcgrath is still the goat.

Pat Cummins has potential to reach the height of McGrath/ Steyn.. He is that good atm.

He is really pleasing to watch.

During his wilder years, I thought he may not ever play a test again. And now, he is literally bossing it.

Biggest box office pacer in the world right now.

The Quiet Eye: Allan Border Analysis on Pat Cummins

So I found this very interesting actually. Allan Border mentioned an article that he read somewhere about a theory in relation to Elite Athletes known as the Quiet Eye whilst analysing the relentlessness of Pat Cummins when it comes to line and length.

Border uses the example of Rogerer Federer (citing the article that he read) and explains how Federer is known to be a player who is the only one to remain focused on the connection of his back hand shot and the perfection of the execution of this shot longer than any other men’s Tennis player. Similarly, Cummins is a bowler who is highly focused on the spot that he wants to hit for the longest part of his run up and release point. They also used Mitchel Starc as a comparison, with Cummins still focused on the spot with the ball released, whereas Starc blinks or loses focus around the very last point.

To further explain this theory of the quiet eye, l did do some reading and found an article which Border May have cited, however the article focuses more on Serena Williams instead of Federer. However some very interesting snippets of the article that are relatable to sports in general:

“ Psychologists and neuroscientists have now identified some of the common mental processes that mark out elite athletes such as Williams. And one of the most intriguing aspects appears to be a phenomenon known as the “quiet eye” – a kind of enhanced visual perception that allows the athlete to eliminate any distractions as they plan their next move. Intriguingly, quiet eye appears to be particularly important at times of stress, preventing the athlete from ‘choking’ at moments of high pressure. It may even lead to the mysterious ‘flow state’.”

Furthermore, the article states:

“There is a small window of opportunity for the motor system to receive information from the eyes,” explains Sam Vine at the University of Exeter. “And experts have found a better way to optimise that window and to keep that window [open], which helps their movements to be really accurate and really precise.”

This quote from Sam Vine is supportive of Border’s argument when he applies it on Cummins. They also used Cummins’s pitch map from throughout the series and showed how Cummins hardly bowled anything on leg stump in the 4 Tests which was phenomenal!

To further quote the explanation provided by Border, he explains how Cristiano Ronaldo is more focused on the connection of his shot and keeps his gaze set on this connection rather than where the ball is heading as a result of it, because he already knows where the ball is heading (on target and in the goal).

I think this quiet eye theory is a brilliant spot by Border. It’s something that I hope can be relayed to the Pakistani think tank when preparing our bowlers and even batsmen really. It also shows the importance of sports scientists in your think tank/coaching staff who can pick up on these very intricate yet highly useful detail.

I will share the article for all to read. It also argues that this is something that can be taught to amaeur sportsmen and just think about how useful information like this can be for coaches who are training young amateur cricketers.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180627-is-quiet-eye-the-secret-to-success-for-athletes

It was Kerry O'Keeffe, not Border.

Right, I thought it was border in the comm box with Warne. My mistake, maybe mods can edit the title and also wherever I have written Border to O’keefe.

However the argument itself is still standing

His endurance is frightening. Just keeps coming hard session after session and that's despite playing all formats, IPL etc. Not a single bowler in the world who can do it like that.

Just a machine
No bowler I can remember could bowl so much at such a high quality

Those I know who saw him say it's just like watching Lillee again- aggression (in full length also, not just short but aggression in trying to take a wicket- being "at the batsman"), speed, similar skills, bowl all day and just have that x-factor. Complete fast bowler.

Cummins tried his heart out. Sadly let down by the likes of Starc, Lyon and Green. There is only so much one can do against a quality opponent

Hats off to Pat Cummins the superman

Kept on trying his best, maximum effort and full of skills. Did not get support from other teammates especially Starc
Hats off to him.
True champion🙏

Former Australia captain Michael Clarke said that fast bowler Pat Cummins is the ideal candidate to take over as the team’s skipper in all formats of the game. The post of Australia’s captain has been in the news recently due to batsman and former skipper Steve Smith saying that he is ready to take up the responsibility whenever he is required to. “Just because Cummins isn’t out there saying I should be the next captain and I’m ready… it doesn’t mean he’s not a good leader,” Clarke told Big Sports Breakfast.

“I’ve made it clear what I think about Pat Cummins. I think he’s shown he’s fit and strong enough to play all three formats now, he’s done that for the last few years. His captaincy I’ve watched tactically for New South Wales he’s been pretty good,” said Clarke.

Australia have been led by Tim Paine in Tests and Aaron Finch in limited overs since Smith was ousted from the post in the wake of the 2018 ball-tampering scandal. Clarke said that while Cummins, 27, is young and inexperienced as a leader, he will have experienced players around him to help him out, including Smith.

“Yes he’s young and inexperienced as a leader but he’ll have good senior players around him so to me I do believe Pat Cummins is the right guy to take over the leadership in all three formats at the right time. Of course, he will need a good vice-captain. An example of that — if (current Test captain) Tim Paine retires then someone like Alex Carey comes in, who has captained South Australia, captained (in) the BBL (Big Bash League), been vice-captain of Australia.

I think he would make a very good vice-captain. You’ve got the likes of Steve Smith, David Warner, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne. All these guys have got leadership experience as well. They can help Pat Cummins,” he said. Clarke, who captained Australia in 47 Tests, 74 ODIs and 18 T20Is between 2007 and 2015 and led Australia to victory in the 2015 World Cup, said that regardless of whether Smith becomes captain of the team again or not, the talismanic batsman will always have an important role to play in the dressing room.

“You don’t necessarily need to have the captain or vice-captain armband to be a leader and I feel like I say that every single day. Smithy is going to play a huge role in the Australian team moving forward, whether he takes over the captaincy or not, his leadership is going to be important,” said Clarke. “If Pat Cummins gets the job, (Smith) is the first guy I would be going to and speaking to. He’s going to need his support. I think Australia does have options, they are in a wonderful place. They’ve just got to have the confidence to pick the right person, back him, and put some support around him,” he added.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...-captain-across-formats-michael-clarke-975904

In a question and answer session on his YouTube channel, the pacer listed the battles he enjoyed against several batsmen from around the world.

“These are the best in the world and are the obvious ones as they don’t have any weaknesses. Each team has a couple of batters that are toughest to bowl to, but you want to face those challenges as it is most rewarding,” Cummins said.

“You talk about Joe Root and Ben Stokes from England. Then obviously, Pujara and Virat [Kohli] from India. You have got Kane Williamson and Babar Azam. In South Africa, there was AB de Villiers and Faf [du Plessis] is there. Every team has a couple of guys who are the prized wickets,” he added.

He is a wonderful bowler. More suited to Test Cricket than LOIs.
The only thing I would like him to add would be the 10fers. Rabada who has played 10 more tests than him has 4 10fers already while Cummins has just 1.

In a question and answer session on his YouTube channel, the pacer listed the battles he enjoyed against several batsmen from around the world.

“These are the best in the world and are the obvious ones as they don’t have any weaknesses. Each team has a couple of batters that are toughest to bowl to, but you want to face those challenges as it is most rewarding,” Cummins said.

“You talk about Joe Root and Ben Stokes from England. Then obviously, Pujara and Virat [Kohli] from India. You have got Kane Williamson and Babar Azam. In South Africa, there was AB de Villiers and Faf [du Plessis] is there. Every team has a couple of guys who are the prized wickets,” he added.

No surprise there. Pujara is undoubtedly the second most prized wicket in Indian team.

Big praise by Cummins but then he mentioned quite a few names in his list! Guess doesnt hurt to do that as it will pick him more YT subs

Needs to keep his options open with PSL in the future

Smart work Patty

Kolkata Knight Riders player to let go of his million-dollar contract, will skip 2nd phase of IPL 2021: Report

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Saturday (May 29) confirmed shifting the remaining matches of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 to UAE. The IPL 2021 was suspended earlier this month due to 6 COVID-19 cases in different camps. The board was confident of resuming the league later and thus decided to postpone it.

The remaining 31 matches of the tournament will be played in the month of September-October. The availability of foreign players will be one of the biggest headaches as a few national teams have a packed schedule going ahead. The franchises will likely be allowed to pick replacements for the players who will pull out.

While English players are confirmed to skip the league, it has also been reported that Kolkata Knight Riders' pacer Pat Cummins will also give the tournament a miss. As per the Sydney Morning Herald, Cummins has already said that he will not return to IPL 2021
The Australia pacer had created history in IPL 2020 auction by bagging a contract worth Rs 15.5 crore. It was the biggest bid drawn by any overseas player in the history of the league then (the record was broken by Chris Morris in IPL 2021 auction).

Cummins didn't have a great run in IPL 2020 last year as he scalped 12 wickets, 4 in the last league stage game, in 14 matches. In IPL 2021, he had dismissed 9 batsmen and scored 93 runs in 7 matches before the tournament was suspended.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/kolkata-knight-riders-player-to-let-go-of-his-million-dollar-contract-will-skip-2nd-phase-of-ipl-2021-report/763740

Mark Waugh said Pat Cummins is favorite to be the next captain of Australian Test team, Steven Smith should be as Vice Captain.

Pat Cummins is the best bowler in the world but he will not be suited to captaincy of Australian team. They are too nasty a team to be lead by a babyface like Cummins or a Disney Princess like Mitchel Starc.

DUBAI, Oct 21 (Reuters) - Fast bowlers will need a varied skillset to conquer the “tired” pitches in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Australia’s Pat Cummins said ahead of their Twenty20 World Cup opener against South Africa on Saturday.

The pacers would be a worried lot heading into the World Cup looking for ways to master the dry and slow pitches in the UAE which has split warm-up matches with Oman but hosts the rest of the tournament from Saturday.

The UAE also hosted the second leg of the Indian Premier League (IPL) which concluded on Friday, meaning fast bowlers face the prospect of toiling on wornout pitches in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.

“A couple of wickets have been tired and a couple times you get some really good wickets,” Cummins told a virtual news conference on Thursday sharing his warm-up match experience.

“In Twenty20, you got to have a few different varieties. Bowling with a new ball up front is going to look quite different to how you bowl in the end.

“So you’ve got to be able to adapt and have two or three different spells within the 20 overs...”

The 28-year-old, who is returning to competitive cricket after more than five months, felt conditions in the UAE would significantly differ depending on match timing and bowlers would needed to adjust accordingly.

“The night games tend to be a bit more batter-friendly. There’s a bit of dew around and the ball skids on whereas the day games are a bit drier.”

“I think the biggest difference is when we talk about it being dry. That kind of brings in the slower balls.”

“Night games, if they start sliding on, you’ve got to look at other options. Maybe it’s yorkers, bouncers, and try different deliveries where the pitch is friendly for us bowlers.”

Dismissal of Nissanka in Dubai today:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/c28z95" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Wicket of Shanaka today, deceived by Cummins:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/xof9hg" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Cummins varying his release point for the wicket of Hameed today:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/javpee" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Cummins has 57 wickets in eleven Ashes tests.

That’s Dennis Lillee territory.

Great start to his captaincy reign.

A 5-0 win (which is likely) can give him a dream start as the captain.

Cummins is a future ATG and on his way already. Just a matter of playing more Test Matches.
Awesome bowler, Awesome team man. Never gives up and keeps hitting back, not matter what the situation. Even with Bat he can contribute in the lower order.

A safe as houses debut Test as captain for Pat Cummins. Absolutely terrific performance and leadership.

He already is based on the quality of his bowling. He is nearly as good as McGrath. It’s only a matter of him playing enough matches.

And you considered Archer a better bowler than him so Archer is better than ATG?

And you considered Archer a better bowler than him so Archer is better than ATG?

Archer is incredible. In my opinion, if you take all three formats into consideration, a fit Archer is the best bowler in the world. He is a joy to watch. Spectacular.

One could imagine how great he would have been under Lloyd and Viv on those Caribbean wickets. He is in the same class as the likes of Holding and it is terribly sad that he is being held back by injuries so much.

Purely in Test cricket though, you have to give Cummins a slight edge because he is just a perfect, almost perfect Test bowler.

There are so many wonderful fast bowlers today and they are as good as anyone who has ever played the game. That is why it is total rubbish when people stuck in the past and enslaved by their nostalgia claim that the quality of cricket has gone down.

Archer is a LO bowler, not a test match bowler. I have lost patience with his medium pace displays in tests. Wood has far more guts, he will fly in at 90 mph all day. If only Root would give Wood the new ball.

Cummins is approaching Lillee level and I can’t give higher praise than that.

Archer is incredible. In my opinion, if you take all three formats into consideration, a fit Archer is the best bowler in the world. He is a joy to watch. Spectacular.

One could imagine how great he would have been under Lloyd and Viv on those Caribbean wickets. He is in the same class as the likes of Holding and it is terribly sad that he is being held back by injuries so much.

Purely in Test cricket though, you have to give Cummins a slight edge because he is just a perfect, almost perfect Test bowler.

There are so many wonderful fast bowlers today and they are as good as anyone who has ever played the game. That is why it is total rubbish when people stuck in the past and enslaved by their nostalgia claim that the quality of cricket has gone down.

I agree that the fast bowlers of today are actually ahead of their contemporaries. The challenges for bowlers are far greater and the likes of Cummins, Anderson, Steyn should be help in the same league as the greats comfortably.

But that's precisely why it makes no sense for you to rate someone like Archer so highly, who has no performance to show for it. You could argue that he is exciting and has the POTENTIAL, but to say outright he's the best (even in your opinion) has no credibility. How can he be when he's performed brilliantly in his first 1 or 2 test matches and been completely rubbish in the rest. When he has played only a handful of ODIs and t20s.

Cummins did not look like a world beater and arguably was less impressive than the likes of Pattinson or even Starc initially. But his performance makes him a great. Archer has been around for 2 and a half years and even if we ignore his repeated injuries and bubble breach etc, he has been absolutely trash in most of the matches he has played. Completely untested in different conditions against different oppositions. How then exactly does that put him ahead of Cummins overall? Or even Bumrah, Rabada, Starc, Hazlewood. Even newer bowlers such as Shaheen, Shami, Hassan have performed over a period of time.

You talk about Hassan's phainty in the Asia cup forever but not Archer's in his away tests?

Archer is a LO bowler, not a test match bowler. I have lost patience with his medium pace displays in tests. Wood has far more guts, he will fly in at 90 mph all day. If only Root would give Wood the new ball.

This is based on what though? Wood is not a new ball bowler and has never been one.

<B>Top bowlers of this generation:</B>

1. James Anderson( ATG)
2. Ravi Ashwin( on verge of ATG)
3. Pat Cummins( potential top 5-10 of all-time)
4. Jasprit Bumrah( potential ATG)
5. Kagiso Rabada( potential ATG)

After these 5, you have :-

Josh Hazelwood, Stuart Broad, Trent Boult, Mitchell Starc, Mohammad Shami, Nathan Lyon and Tim Southee at about same level.

Then comes the youngsters tier which includes players with tally of around 25 to 75 test wickets and have huge potential. It includes Shaheen, Siraj, Jamieson and Archer.

1. James Anderson( ATG)

Josh Hazelwood, Stuart Broad, Trent Boult, Mitchell Starc, Mohammad Shami, Nathan Lyon and Tim Southee at about same level.

Then comes the youngsters tier which includes players with tally of around 25 to 75 test wickets and have huge potential. It includes Shaheen, Siraj, Jamieson and Archer.

After these 5 yasir shah should be included.

1. James Anderson( ATG)

Also Hassan Ali should be in the list of after these.

"Incredible" average of 31 even after playing the majority of his cricket in bowler friendly England.

Never have I seen a more overrated bowler in Archer. The Australian commentators were talking about missing Archer as if he's some ATG level bowler, although he's been quite mediocre in test cricket.

If he played this tour, he'd probably do well in the first innings of the tour because he'd be "fired up", then the rest of the tour would go like how it did in NZ... Average of 102.

Following in the steps of McGrath. I believe I heard McGrath say in an interview that he rates Pat Cummins as the best bowler from those currently playing (this was like 2 yrs ago?).

Most Australians liken Cummins more to Lillee than McGrath.

Both started as absolute tearaway quicks. Had back injuries. Came back as much more nuanced bowlers with slightly different actions, still capable of serious heat (145k+) but more willing to throttle back & use other methods if needed. Both got that x factor you just want to watch.

Lillee was possibly the more aggressive but Cummins bowls some brute balls, just doesn't bristle with machismo all the time like Lillee.

I would not be surprised at all if in 10-15 years some people are picking Cummins over Lillee as the genuine quick in their ATG Oz teams, even if just for recency bias. But I think he is that good it is a seriously close conversation.

I remember a very young Pat Cummins gleefully ripping his way through a particularly strong South African batting lineup away from home, will have been many years ago now — might even have been his debut. It was clear then that if he steered clear of injuries (which he eventually managed to do) that he would be a world class quick and an extremely successful cricketer for Australia. He is by far the best bowler in the world right now. Has a knack of breaking big partnerships which is an absolutely critical attribute in Test cricket.

Ending weeks of speculation, Australia skipper Pat Cummins has confirmed his participation in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022. There were doubts over some England and Australian players due to the bio-bubble fatigue as both the teams will continue to take part in international cricket following a busy summer in Australia.

While the likes of Ben Stokes and Joe Root have confirmed that they won't be part of the league, Cummins will be up for grabs in the IPL 2022 mega auction.

"I've signed up for the auction at this stage. At this stage, I plan to do the IPL. (I have) no advice for anyone else. I think you've got to be aware of (workloads), it could be a lot of time on the road, some people manage that better than others, you have to know what you're signing up for," Cummins has said.

"It could be a long-ish winter but the last couple of winters have been quiet at home. The traditional tours are still a little way away, it will be bubbles for a little bit longer. Everyone has to be aware of it."

The Australia Test skipper has been a regular in the league in past few years. He emerged as the top pick in the IPL 2020 auction and joined Kolkata Kight Riders for Rs 15.5 crore. Though he didn't have a memorable season and only managed 12 wickets in 14 matches.

Despite his below-par run, he was retained by the Eoin Morgan-led side ahead of IPL 2021. Cummins only played the first half of the league and decided against landing in UAE for the 2nd half. The right-arm pacer remains to be one of the most sought-after players and is expected to bag a huge contract again.

Meanwhile, Mitchell Starc hasn't confirmed his participation yet. The left-arm pacer last played for Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2015. He was set to make his comeback in IPL 2018 but was ruled out of the season due to an injury.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...culation-confirms-participation-in-ipl/851395

Decent bowler this fella. To think some people thought that he would struggle in Asia despite being the best pacer on show in his comeback series 5 years ago

Unquestionably the best bowler in the world. He is the most efficient bowler I have seen in a long time. Always so accurate with his line and length and can also get it to move every which way.

There are only bowlers in history who have taken more wickets than him at a better average:

Joel Garner, Curtly Ambrose and Malcolm Marshall.

I was genuinely hoping for him to get a five wicket haul and I am glad he did. Amazing bowler.

Fair to say he is the best test seamer since steyn?

No not fair really, after 41 matches their stats are:

Cummins 194 wickets @ 21.48

Steyn 174 wickets @ 22.44

What is fair is to say would be Cummins is an excellent bowler and leave Steyn out of it.

Yes he is that classic no nonsense skipper and amazing bowler fit for all forms

No debate on his bowling as he the best going at the moment. But is he a good captain or still a bit naive?

He's let Pakistan into the series a number of times and all his hard work could be undone ( potentially) if somehow Pakistan chase this down tomorrow.

Pakistan should have been dead and buried twice in this series.

If Pakistan win then he should be the highest honor come next Pakistan day nonetheless he is class apart as already mentioned that classic old school skipper vibes

Even if he loses I will praise him for bold declaration and for winning mentality.

Poor captain.

I dont blame him for what happened in the last test as that was just pure class from babar. However in the last test the mistake he made was taking the new ball early and than giving it to the spinners. Should had continues one or two overs with the same old ball as wicket had just fallen with that ball and it was a new batter on crease.

This time around, he declared too early and has given pakistan hope. He doesnt have the spinners for it and has to rely on the pacers.

He has put the whole series on the line...

This is stupidity and nothing brave here..

Even if pakistan losses, this is too much of a risk he is taking

A massive blunder. Pakistan has no right winning the series and he has offered Pakistan an opportunity on a golden plater.

They have slogged their way to 425 runs lead without losing any time. Is he going to get bonus points for keeping 7 wickets in hand.

Back