[VIDEOS] Pat Cummins - The Mega Discussion

Most Australians liken Cummins more to Lillee than McGrath.

Both started as absolute tearaway quicks. Had back injuries. Came back as much more nuanced bowlers with slightly different actions, still capable of serious heat (145k+) but more willing to throttle back & use other methods if needed. Both got that x factor you just want to watch.

Lillee was possibly the more aggressive but Cummins bowls some brute balls, just doesn't bristle with machismo all the time like Lillee.

I would not be surprised at all if in 10-15 years some people are picking Cummins over Lillee as the genuine quick in their ATG Oz teams, even if just for recency bias. But I think he is that good it is a seriously close conversation.

Lillee inspired likes of Clive Lloyd / Imran Khan.

In a way Lillee is the icon of fast bowling. He was a role model to a generation (70s/80s/90s) of fast bowlers.

I don't think it is fair to call it "machismo".

On thread topic, at this rate Cummins might end up as the greatest Aussie pacer of all time.

What a legend.

He might get away with these stupid decisions in this series. But will pay for it when facing good teams like India.

Even if he loses I will praise him for bold declaration and for winning mentality.

It’s not winning mentality, it’s just confused knowing how they blundered in the last game by not enforcing follow on. It seems like a declaration made out of boredom

No not fair really, after 41 matches their stats are:

Cummins 194 wickets @ 21.48

Steyn 174 wickets @ 22.44

What is fair is to say would be Cummins is an excellent bowler and leave Steyn out of it.

Are you sure these are the correct figures for Steyn? Cause I remember pretty well Steyn had 239 wickets in 46 Tests at 23 avg and SR 39. Steyn couldnt have taken 65 wickets in the next 5 tests.

Cummins is the best fast bowler in the world atm heck his spell in that t20 WC sf was Heroic :malik

I know you don’t care about what I think, but still I’ll tell you anyways,

I think Cummins told the batsmen to bat at a much faster pace than what they did in the 3rd innings. He wanted them to attack a lot more but some batsmen were clearly playing for averages. Hence, Cummins decided to declare just so that these batsmen can get all the flack from the media if Australia go on to lose this Test.

I know you don’t care about what I think, but still I’ll tell you anyways,

I think Cummins told the batsmen to bat at a much faster pace than what they did in the 3rd innings. He wanted them to attack a lot more but some batsmen were clearly playing for averages. Hence, Cummins decided to declare just so that these batsmen can get all the flack from the media if Australia go on to lose this Test.

That's conspiracious chance of a revolt in Aussie camp :malik
Pitch is too slow to bat at a brisk pace

Fantastic bowler. Has the full set of skills as well as a good cricket brain, and in addition to the excellent statistical figures he also has the knack of bowling a “big spell” which affects the direction of the match. There is nobody better at the moment; Australia will be delighted to have Pat.

Aus were 135/1 after 40 overs. Adding 92/2 in the next 20.

4.6 is a good scoring rate if you're looking to declare but I fail to see why Aus would rather finish 227/3 instead of 250/9. To me it looks like declaration wasn't communicated. If it was you'd definitely ask your batters to go into full t20 mode in the last 8-10 overs, whereas Aus just merrily scored at a safe 4 rpo.

At the end of Aus innings you'd say Aus were far ahead, but 27 overs of batting from Pak and the contest is suddenly just 60-40 in favour of Aus.

To me that is a monumental lapse by leadership team (Warner, Cummins and Coach) for having lack of awareness and communication.

I know everyone loves to rave about Cummins but he is human and he definitely got this one wrong.

[MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] after 41 test
Steyn - 211 wickets, avg 23.12 , sr 39.21

Given what is on stake, it was absolutely shocking decision. There is only one day of cricket left to make whatever you have to of this whole test series, Cummins and Australia should have really buried the chances of a Pakistan win by batting for an hour more( especially considering Travis Head was in full swinging mood) and then make Pakistan survive a nervy final hour with 390 runs target.

This is what everyone does in these situations. There is simply no point of trying to be too cute. You just can't afford to lose a series here. 270 in a 98 over game with all wickets in hand is very much chaseable.

Last edited:
Jees I'm glad he's gone for the win.

YOu blokes might be happy watching negative captains bore their way through a series. -in fact you're really not, go a read any thread criticising Babar's negativity...

But when someone DOES take an aggressive option, he cops it too.

He's backed his bowlers to do it.

He's challenged Pakistan to take the target on.

You don't instill confidence in players by sending the message they can't.

YOu do it by sending the message they can.

He has definitely made a fan in me by declaring here! What a brave decision and he's a world class fast bowler!

very calculated, you will see that after couple of wickets - bunker mode alert after that for survival. If they get babar early, game over for Pakistan possibly before even tea.

All depends on the first hour of the game today

Last edited:
He is giving Mark Taylor vibes as a captain.

I don’t think so. The 2nd test was a big miss for him. Not enforcing the follow on, and not bowling himself and Starc to the tail.

Sporting and positive declaration here, so he may be learning but at the same time he was lucky our players are so useless, otherwise this would have been a drawn match too.

Just thought I'd drop by and say to the declaration doubters, I told you so.

Great bowler, hope he stays fit for the remainder of his career just to see how good he can be.
Good declaration, showing some promise as a captain but still think Smith has a big say.
As good as he was in the 1st innings, i thought that Starc's spells was arguably more crucial.
He opened up the game at a time when Pakistan looked fairly comfortable.

Solid leadership with brains
Did not feel like he was making any mistakes with decision making or changing bowlers or when to take new ball

Had it to for dropped catches and gifts from Steve Smith ; this series would have been 2-0 in Australia favor.. The most concering thing was in this series Australians were not in their ruthless mode (and for some reason made it look a friendship series) No mind games, no game plans, no sledging, no tries of bowling bouncers
Looks like it was a smooth ride for them baring Karachi test where they kept dropping catches at crucial times to keep the match interesting

They have good future , but Swepson is not a very good spinner (still early days)
Cummins made a mistake by not playing Ashton Agar;

I don’t think so. The 2nd test was a big miss for him. Not enforcing the follow on, and not bowling himself and Starc to the tail.

Sporting and positive declaration here, so he may be learning but at the same time he was lucky our players are so useless, otherwise this would have been a drawn match too.

It was dropped catches that helped us draw that match; And no captain plans for missed opportunities on the field
Wd should thank Steve Smith to not make this series look like 2-0

Wonderful player and leader , a charismatic one too, like Imran Khan was .

Potential to become one of the great captains of Australia in recent times.

Ashes victory overseas win in alien conditions Cummins on the path of ATG he really has an aura of his own

Wonderful player and leader , a charismatic one too, like Imran Khan was .

Potential to become one of the great captains of Australia in recent times.

Ashes victory overseas win in alien conditions Cummins on the path of ATG he really has an aura of his own

That declaration decision gave him an Imran Khanesqu aura.

I hardly ever like any Australian cricketer but Pat is an exception.

A very intelligent cricketer with controlled emotions, and brave and charismatic personality. An intimidating leader.

I don’t think I have seen much of him indulging into cheap tactics of sledging (an Australian trademark) which makes him not only a great fighter but also a true gentleman of the game.

We need more cricketers like him.

Cummins is a beast, what he's done here is going to be remembered for a long time.

If Australian's followed cricket as much as South Asians do, Cummins would undoubtedly be getting Sarfaraz treatment once he landed in Sydney.

Australian captain Pat Cummins has broken the record of former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram. The right-arm pacer picked up 12 wickets in the three-match Test series against Pakistan.

It is to be noted that no fast bowling captain has taken more wickets in a three-match away series. The former Pakistan left-arm pacer Wasim Akram who bagged 12 wickets in a three-match Test series against England in 1996 is the other fast bowling captain to achieve the feat.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/pat-cummins-equals-wasim-akrams-27-year-old-record

Perfect modern game Legend still remember his T20 WC SF Spell completely out of context

I’ve made it clear of my disagreement with Pat’s approach to the second half of the second Test match and I maintain that he captained too conservatively in this game and made some mistakes, but in effect yesterday settled that memory (which now goes down as a learning experience) — because he got this final Test absolutely spot on throughout. A truly supreme declaration, perfectly timed to secure the series win. Well done him.

Taking nothing away from Cummins, he not only played and captained superbly in the series but there needs to be recognition for the other players in the team. Everyone did their job and made it easy for Cummins and he had 10 other players executing his plans without fuss. It was a team effort and I'm sure Cummins will be aware of that.

In captaincy or bowling, a truly elite cricketer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pat Cummins will play his first ODI in 18 months on Tuesday and safe to say, he is KEEN <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SLvAUS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SLvAUS</a> 🙌 <a href="https://t.co/seRsPugf50">pic.twitter.com/seRsPugf50</a></p>— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1536302359260778496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 13, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pat Cummins needs three more wickets in Galle to join the 200 Test wicket club.

Pat Cummins to lead Australian men's one-day international side

Pat Cummins has been chosen to captain the Australian men’s one-day international side.

The Cricket Australia Board endorsed Cummins to become Australia’s 27th ODI captain, taking over from Aaron Finch who retired from the format last month.

NB: Australian men’s Chair of Selectors George Bailey and Pat Cummins will be available to the media at the National Cricket Centre (NCC) at 10.00am today.

Ben Oliver, Cricket Australia’s EGM of High Performance and National Teams, said: “We are very fortunate to have a number of high-quality leaders and senior players across all formats.

“The Board and selectors agree Pat is the ideal choice to lead the ODI team through the next period including the 2023 World Cup."

Chair of Selectors George Bailey said: “Pat has done an excellent job since taking on the captaincy of the Test side and we look forward to him leading the one-day team to the 2023 World Cup in India.”

Cummins said: “I have thoroughly enjoyed playing under Finchy and have learnt an enormous amount from his leadership. They are significant shoes to fill although we are extremely fortunate to have a one-day squad with a huge amount of experience.”

Lowest averages for bowlers with 200 or more Test wickets:

Marshall: 20.94
Garner: 20.97
Ambrose: 20.99
Trueman: 21.57
McGrath: 21.64
Cummins: 21.67

Phenomenally good. He just doesn't ever have a bad day. And when he's really "on" he can tear through a side too.

His action is lovely. Ball after ball, over after over, just runs in at a modest pace and keeps sending them down. He makes Test match bowling look incredibly easy. Which it is, of course, not!

Phenomenally good. He just doesn't ever have a bad day. And when he's really "on" he can tear through a side too.

He's almost another Lillee. I'd say he was Lillee 2.0 if he didn't have that kink in his delivery stride.

ustralia captain Pat Cummins has stressed the importance of his team qualifying for this year's ICC World Test Championship final and revealed which team he is excited about potentially facing in London.

Cummins' side currently leads the World Test Championship standings and can confirm their place in June's final with a victory in the third and final Test of their ongoing series against South Africa at the SCG this week.

World Test Championship Standings
If Australia fail to clinch a series sweep against the Proteas then they still have another chance to book their place in the decider during the four-match Test series in India that commences next month.

And it's India that could potentially prove Australia's opponent in June's final, with Rohit Sharma's side well-placed in second place on the standings ahead of the home series against the Aussies during February and March.

Cummins said the prospect of playing a World Test Championship final this year had been a major motivation for his team and the chances of taking on India at a neutral venue has him even more excited.

"It's been a big driver for us over the last couple of years," Cummins told reporters at the SCG on Tuesday.

"I think playing in London (in) a final against India, say, at a neutral venue, that's really exciting."

Ironically, it was India that Australia was playing at the MCG in 2020 when they were docked four points for a slow over rate and narrowly missed out on qualifying for the 2021 World Test Championship final.

It meant the Kiwis snuck into the decider and beat India to claim the inaugural World Test Championship title and Cummins said the importance of keeping an eye on how quickly his team bowls their overs is always at the forefront of his mind.

"It was still a new concept so even things like over rates – it wasn't really spoken about as importantly as perhaps what we think about it now," Cummins noted.

"Every point is vital. (Now there is) lots of communication with the umpires, they are always keeping us abreast of where we are.

"I think we got down to nine minutes down at one stage (in a recent Test match) so we just made sure we had Trav Head or 'Smithy' (Steve Smith) as an option and we got back basically within a couple of overs.

"Having just missed out on the World Test Championship final last cycle, that was always going to be a big goal."

And on current form, it appears that spot in the final should be a foregone conclusion, with Australia having won all four of their home Tests against the West Indies and South Africa so far this summer.

"I think we've been playing fantastically, we've put ourselves in that position to earn that spot early which is a huge driver for us," Cummins added.

"It's always exciting going to England and playing an Ashes series, but adding in a World Test Championship final (prior to the Ashes) is huge."

ICC

Pat Cummins' Mother Maria Dies, Australian Players Sport Black Armbands On Day 2
Maria Cummins, mother of Australia Test captain Pat Cummins, has died after battling a prolonged illness

Maria Cummins, mother of Australia Test captain Pat Cummins, has died after battling a prolonged illness. Cricket Australia (CA) confirmed the news through a tweet on Friday morning, ahead of the start of Day 2 of the ongoing fourth Test between India and Australia at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. CA also confirmed that the Australia players will don "black armbands as a mark of respect" for Pat Cummins and his family.

Cummins had flown back home to be with his ailing mother, who was placed into palliative care, following the conclusion of the second Test in Delhi last month.

"I feel I am best being here with my family. I appreciate the overwhelming support I have received from Cricket Australia and my teammates. Thanks for your understanding," Cummins said, while explaining his decision to leave India.

The 29-year-old had revealed that his mother, who was sadly first diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2005, had been battling a serious illness in recent weeks.

NDTV

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia captain Pat Cummins has revealed he wants to play on until he is 35 as he continues to try and get the balance right between his playing commitments with the national side and family life at home.

Cummins departed India midway through Australia's tour of the sub-continent in February to return home and be alongside his sick mother and the recently turned 30-year-old is sitting out this year's Indian Premier League ahead of a hectic upcoming schedule that includes next month's ICC World Test Championship final and the five-match Ashes series against England.

The Australia fast bowler provided tremendous insight into the rigours of being a professional cricketer when speaking with former England footballer Rio Ferdinand on 'WeAre8’s Get Real with Rio program' and said only recently is he working out the right balance in his life.

"Cricket's basically 12 months of the year; there's always a cricket game going on somewhere, and I played non-stop for a year or two," Cummins said.

"This is about four or five years ago, (when) I kind of just came back from injuries. And I was just spent, like burnout and I just remember thinking 'geez I'm 25 here but I want to do this until I'm 35' I've got to find a way to balance all these different things."

The ability to return home midway through a tour earlier this year helped Cummins spend additional time with his family and be alongside his mother before she passed away in March and the move received plenty of support.

Renowned England supporter group, The Barmy Army, posted a touching tribute to Cummins' mother just after she entered palliative care, while Australia great Ricky Ponting said he reached out to the Australia captain at the time.

“When I first heard that he was making the trip home between Test matches, I had a pretty good understanding of what that was – his mum hasn't been well for a few years now, so I thought that might have been the reason. I reached out to him there and then," Ponting said on The ICC Review in March.

“I think we've seen as well just how small and how tight the cricket world can be. I'm sure that he would've received a lot of well-wishes from all parts of the world, the cricket-loving fraternity, that would've sent some messages of support to him and the rest of his family in obviously what is a really difficult time for them."

Cummins said he was grateful for the opportunity to return home midway through the Border-Gavaskar series against India as it allowed him to spend more time with his family and gain further perspective on his priorities in life.

"It's still pretty raw at the moment but the last few months been luckily enough to spend loads of time with mum," he said.

"But (also) us as kids, and (with) dad, and just sharing all those memories together.

"I think it hits home the kind of person you want to be, the kind of father you want to be. So from that side, it's been quite good.

"Lots of memories. But in terms of the grief I guess we'll keep working through that."

Cummins will depart Australia later this month to join up with his teammates ahead of the World Test Championship final against India that commences at The Oval on June 7, with the first Ashes Test to start on June 16.

ICC

Patrick James Cummins. Champion bowler, champion captain, champion batter

CHAMPION!

Australia captain Pat Cummins has given every indication he will be fit for this year's ICC Men's Cricket World Cup by declaring his injured wrist is recovering well and he is on track to return prior to the six-week tournament in India.

Cummins fractured his wrist while batting during the final Ashes Test against England at The Oval last month and was initially diagnosed to be sidelined for up to six weeks ahead of Australia's first game at the World Cup against hosts India on October 8.

Surprises galore as Australia name preliminary World Cup squad
But Cummins has allayed any fears that he will be battling to prove his fitness prior to that clash, with the fast bowler aiming to travel to South Africa next month to join up with his teammates during their five-match series against the Proteas and then return to playing during the three-game series against India at the end of September.

"I'll head over to South Africa at the back-end of that leg," Cummins said on Tuesday.

"But we're probably looking more at those one-dayers (against India) ahead of the World Cup.

"It shouldn't be too bad. Another few weeks and it (his wrist) will be right."

Australia are the only team to have announced their squad for this year's World Cup so far, with the five-time champions showing their hand early when releasing a preliminary 18-player squad for the tournament earlier this month.

That squad will need to be reduced to 15 prior to the cut-off date on September 28, but Cummins was named captain of the side and is certain to lead Australia into battle at the World Cup should his wrist injury heal in time.

But just who captains the side during the South Africa series remains unclear, with chief selector George Bailey recently indicating that the captaincy might be shared around during the five matches in the absence of Cummins.

Steve Smith, Josh Hazlewood and Alex Carey all have experience captaining Australia's 50-over side previously, while all-rounder Mitchell Marsh is also in the mix after he was recently named as skipper for the T20I portion of the South Africa tour.

Cummins threw his support behind the appointment of Marsh and believes the in-form 31-year-old is a natural leader that can prosper in the role on a long-term basis if awarded more captaincy roles.

"The good thing is we've got a few options (for South Africa)," Cummins posed.

"But (Marsh) is probably the most obvious one if he's doing the T20s as well.

"He's always been a huge member of the team, a real leader.

"As a captain, that's what you want, a guy that's going out there, taking the game on, someone we can all get behind.

"Off the field, he's just a great people-person. His energy's infectious, he's great to hang around with, always good fun."

Australia's preliminary World Cup squad: Pat Cummins (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tanveer Sangha, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

What a innings by pat Cummins 12 off 68 stood hard infront of wicket while maxwell was doing the job

Cummins is real clutch. Not a great white ball bowler by any stretch. But he is a clutch cricketer, terrific leader and one of the all time greats of the game because he is having a legendary test career.

Cummins only have one plan atm, bowlers clicking and one of the batsman plays a blinder so far its ticking, Warner v Pak, Head v NZ, Maxwell twice against minnows

Ironic for a man named Patrick Cummins to have shown such remarkable holding power at the other end yesterday. He even invoked the flamingo 🦩 to defy Afghan bowlers.

Probably just 30 mins away from etching his name in history books as a world cup winning captain! Massive respect for the guy. Champion bowler.

There was a time when he couldn't remain fit enough for one series. Went 6 years between his debut and second test!

Ricky Ponting "if you think back 6 weeks ago, Australia's campaign was hanging by a thread. Questions were being asked of this group. Pat Cummins has come of age through this World Cup. There had been some criticism of his captaincy & leadership, but not any more"

1949F1EB-C0F5-4D02-A90A-11AE6B029801.jpeg

Compare this to our players who play in almost every league around the world whilst also playing 3 formats for Pakistan.

Pat Cummins I salute you, to win a World Cup in subcontinent against this giant Indian side is one mammoth task. But as they say, persistence hardwork and genuinety has no alternative , you did it by your actions . This man's body language oozed confidence backed by some World class players. Kudos to CA and the think tank who saw Cummins as leader ! Short of words for you Sir,

With this WC triumph Cummins join elite company of Clive Lloyd, Kapil Dev, Allan Border, Imran Khan, Arjuna Ranatunga, Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting, MS Dhoni, Michael Clarke & Eoin Morgan

He is officially the first premier fast bowler captain to win the World Cup speaks volume of his fitness professionalism and integrity

Captained his team to test championship and world cup what a legend

Turned out to be a very stupid declaration that lost him the test game against WI

Back