[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Pakistan Women's performance discussion

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Lahore, 1 October 2020:

Australia-based David Hemp has been appointed as the head coach of the Pakistan women’s national cricket team following a robust and transparent recruitment process.

Hemp, who turns 50 next week, has previously coached the Melbourne Stars’ and Victorian women's cricket teams in Australia’s Women's Big Bash League between 2015 and 2020, and is also a former Bermuda and Glamorgan captain.

Hemp played 271 first-class matches and scored over 15,000 runs for Glamorgan, Free State and Warwickshire. He also represented Bermuda in 22 one-day internationals from 2006 to 2009, scoring 641 runs with a century and four half-centuries.

Hemp is a qualified UK level four coach who has had a coaching role with Australia’s team for cricketers with an intellectual disability; Premier Cricket’s Prahran and was the director of coaching at Scotch College.

Urooj Mumtaz, Acting Head of Pakistan Women’s Wing and Chair of women’s selection committee: “The PCB is pleased to have appointed David Hemp as Pakistan national women’s team head coach. David brings with him wealth of experience and knowledge, more importantly around women’s cricket development, which is extremely critical to our strategy as part of our endeavour to increase the pool of cricketers and also help them top rise to the level of the front-running international sides.

“David has worked for five years in Australia with the Melbourne and Victoria women’s sides and he is a perfect fit for the role we were looking for as he will be able to use that experience and knowledge to translate into our system that will ultimately benefit Pakistan women’s cricket.

“I am sure our players will make optimum use of David’s expertise and strict work ethics, while I am sure David will have an enjoyable time when he relocates to Pakistan to join the elite company of illustrious coaching staff of Atiq-uz-Zaman, Grant Bradburn, Mohammad Yousuf, Mohammad Zahid and Saqlain Mushtaq at our National High Performance Centre.”

David takes over from Iqbal Imam, who had succeeded Mark Coles. Pakistan will feature in the ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier next year for the event proper that will take place in New Zealand in 2022.

The PCB had advertised for the role on 18 August and a total of 38 coaches, including 18 foreigners from various Test playing countries had expressed their interests. The final interviews were carried by Wasim Khan (PCB Chief Executive), Urooj Mumtaz and Grant Bradburn (Head of International Coach Development) last week.

Why can’t PCB exchange the roles - Misbah for ladies team and this UK Level Four Coach for men’s team?

Now that is someone with prior experience and a qualified level 4 coach. Looks a good choice as per CV.

So our women team is so lucky enough to get such a high profile coach where our men team is so unfortunate to have unskilled and clueless coach Misbah.

A total of 38 coaches, including 18 foreigners from various Test playing countries had expressed their interests.

So if Wasim Khan acted honestly we could easily get a high professional, skilled foreign coach for men team.So neither money nor security is a high issue to get a good coach.

PCB announces women’s High Performance Camp in Karachi from 8 October

• 27 invited players and player support personnel to be in bio-secure bubble

• Announcement of women’s camp completes PCB’s full resumption of cricket activities in the 2020-21 domestic season under Covid-19 protocols

Lahore, 2 October 2020:

Three days after the Pakistan Cricket Board’s 2020-21 domestic cricket season got under way in Multan, the Pakistan Cricket Board announced a 27-player High Performance Camp that will be staged at the Hanif Mohammad High Performance Centre and National Stadium in Karachi from 8 to 31 October.

The announcement of women’s High Performance Camp has completed a slow but careful and strategic resumption of all cricket activities. The 2020-21 season had begun on 30 September with the National T20 Cup and the six Cricket Association U19 squads were named on Thursday for the three-day and one-day National U19 Tournaments, which will be played from 13 October to 29 November.

The 27 cricketers invited for the High Performance Camp are: Aiman Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Bismah Maroof, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana Khan, Iram Javed, Javeria Khan, Javeria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Kaynat Hafeez, Maham Tariq, Muneeba Ali, Nahida Khan, Najiha Alvi, Nashra Sandhu, Natalia Pervaiz, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Rameen Shamim, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz and Syeda Aroob Shah

As part of the PCB Covid-19 protocols, all 27 players and player support personnel will undergo first round of testing at their residences, the cost of which will be reimbursed by the PCB. Players and player support personnel with negative tests will then assemble in Karachi, where they will undergo the second round of tests before being allowed to integrate with the larger group.

During the camp, the players and player support personnel will undergo third round of testing to ensure their health and safety. During the training period, the players and player support personnel will follow the bio-secure protocols while being stationed at a hotel in Karachi.

The High Performance Department will appoint the player support personnel, who will be announced in due course.

Meanwhile, Lahore-based cricketers have been visiting the NHPC and taking advantage of the presence of experienced coaches in Atiq-uz-Zaman and Mohammad Zahid. The two coaches have split their time between men and women cricketers, while giving them the required attention and training as per their requirements.

Atiq-uz-Zaman: “I have been impressed with their fitness standards. Despite the Covid-19 lockdown, the girls have maintained good fitness, which reflects their positive and professional approach. Fitness is the key, which specially helps in fielding and I am pleased with the dedication these girls are showing to further hone their skills. They are willing to go an extra yard to improve something which hasn’t been traditionally a hallmark of our cricket.”

Mohammad Zahid: “Fast bowling is all about rhythm and the quickies are not too far from the top flight. The more these girls will bowl in the nets, the better they will get. Our objective is to help them rise to the standard where they play and perform in competitive cricket.

“David Hemp’s appointment is a decision in the right direction. He is an experienced coach and understands the psyche, dynamics and requirements of women cricketers. All the coaches at the NHPC look forward to welcoming him in Lahore and will support and assist him in any way we can.”

Wicketkeeper-batter Sidra Nawaz said: “It is very refreshing to be at the NHPC, which provides the cricket atmosphere and encourages professional cricketers to get actively involved and utilise the facilities. We have been missing this environment for nearly six months but with the opening of the NHPC and availability of renowned coaches, it is helping all of us to cover up for the lost time.”

All-rounder Aliya Riaz said: “I know our domestic season has not been announced though the High Performance Camp has been unveiled, but we are taking this period as pre-season training and preparation so that they are not rusty when our cricket resumes. It is a blessing to have such outstanding training facilities with qualified coaches also available to us. We are thoroughly enjoying these training sessions and hope hard work in these sessions will pay off when our cricket commences.”

So our women team is so lucky enough to get such a high profile coach where our men team is so unfortunate to have unskilled and clueless coach Misbah.

A total of 38 coaches, including 18 foreigners from various Test playing countries had expressed their interests.

So if Wasim Khan acted honestly we could easily get a high professional, skilled foreign coach for men team.So neither money nor security is a high issue to get a good coach.

How many applied for the mens coaching position which misbah got ?

How many applied for the mens coaching position which misbah got ?
Not many because the advertisement was deliberately misleading and there was a rumor even before the advertisement that Misbah will be the next coach

Not many because the advertisement was deliberately misleading and there was a rumor even before the advertisement that Misbah will be the next coach

But the fact is why were thier many applicants for the wo ens coaching position but only a few for the mens even if misbah new he would be the next coach

I believe PCB care for women cricket more than men cricket.

Coach for women: level 4 (UK)
coaching experience: 5 years

Coach for men's team: level 2 (Pak)
Coaching experience: Zero

I think PCB believes our women team puts more hard work and has better potential than our male team. Also we have too many leeches cling to our current male team and Wasim Khan is waiting these leeches drop out due to old age. Once we get rid of these old fat leeches nay be PCB will get rid of the leeches' nest king Misbah.

But the fact is why were thier many applicants for the wo ens coaching position but only a few for the mens even if misbah new he would be the next coach

Because its easier to dictate female than our male team. Players like Hafeez, Malik, Sarfraz and formers like Razzaq, Tanvir, Latif are really stressful o deal with.
There were some foreigners applied but most of them are not qualified just like Misbah or slightly better than him.

There should be thorough enquiry about appointing of Misbah if PCB wants to go forward.

Because its easier to dictate female than our male team. Players like Hafeez, Malik, Sarfraz and formers like Razzaq, Tanvir, Latif are really stressful o deal with.
There were some foreigners applied but most of them are not qualified just like Misbah or slightly better than him.

There should be thorough enquiry about appointing of Misbah if PCB wants to go forward.

But the pcb made that decision to hire misbah who does enquiry on the pcb imran khan ?

What's the fees between the two

What's the fees between the two

Well to be honest, don't know what this Hemp guy is charging. But it will be interesting to know whether is charging less or more than Misbah. My guess is he is charging less.

Well to be honest, don't know what this Hemp guy is charging. But it will be interesting to know whether is charging less or more than Misbah. My guess is he is charging less.

Defo would be guess but u never know

Bismah Maroof, Javeria Khan eager to return to cricket with National High Performance camp

• “There is a lot of excitement amongst the players to get back together after seven, eight months. Everyone, says Bismah Maroof

• “I am very, very excited to get back and feel blessed to be taking the field again to play the sport, which I love, says Javeria Khan

Karachi, 6 October 2020:

Pakistan women’s national team will resume their cricketing activities when their High Performance Camp begins on Thursday in Karachi. A total of 27 players will undergo a 24-day-long camp between 8-31 October at the National Stadium and Hanif Mohammad High Performance Centre during which they will work on their skills, fitness and play practice matches.

Bismah Maroof, the captain of the women’s team, feels the players are excited to get together as a group after a gap of more than seven months, when they played the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia earlier this year, and are looking to make the most of the camp.

Bismah Maroof, who has captained Pakistan in 38 ODIs and 18 T20Is, told pcb.com.pk: “There is a lot of excitement amongst the players to get back together after seven, eight months. Everyone is looking forward to making the most of this camp by working on their skills and fitness.

“It is going to be a bit difficult to carry the rhythm from where we left but the aim should be to work hard and achieve it. We are looking forward to working with David Hemp, the newly appointed head coach, and try to get the best out of ourselves.

“I spent a lot of time with my family during the lockdown and I enjoyed it. I spent my time with my husband and in-laws, with whom I had not been able to spend time much because of cricket. As a professional, I had to maintain my fitness to ensure I stay ready to hit the ground running whenever the opportunity arose. So, I focused on fitness work as I used to do running and cardio workouts at sunrise.”

“As a captain, my aim is to take this team into the top four and this team has that potential. But, we need to work hard to achieve and fully utilise it, which is our focus over the next year so we can prepare ourselves for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand in 2022.”

For Javeria Khan, who has donned the golden star in 204 international matches, this camp serves an opportunity to get back her batting form through the practice matches. During the pandemic-induced lockdown days, the top-order batter returned to the hobbies she had as a student.

Javeria Khan: “I am very, very excited to get back and feel blessed to be taking the field again to play the sport, which I love. This is a new beginning of sorts as we have a new head coach joining us and the players are getting together after a long time. We will try to enjoy our time together to the fullest.

“It is great that we are having this camp at the start of our season as we can get in the rhythm. I will try to make the most of it and get back my batting form.

“It was quite a tough challenge to cope with the halt that Covid-19 had brought. You enjoy breaks of two, three days, but when there is no end to such a long break in sight, you have to find different ways to motivate yourself to keep going. So, I picked up the hobbies, which I had left during my school days. I painted and sung, a little bit. I gave time to my family, which was nice.

“We could not compromise on our fitness during this time and this lengthy break provided everyone an opportunity to strengthen their basics in regards to fitness. So, my aim was to enhance my fitness levels so I am ready both physically and mentally for the on-field challenges.”

More to do with Misbah's closeness to PMIK. PCB wanted to give MA another chance, but then you know what Misbah came up with

Australia-based David Hemp, the new coach for the Women Cricket team, will be arriving Pakistan on October 18th.

Karachi: Pakistan women’s team newly-appointed head coach David Hemp has aimed to take Pakistan in the top four teams in the world under his mentorship.

Ex-Bermudian cricketer, who is set to arrive in Pakistan on October 18, talked exclusively in the Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) recent podcast and stated his ambitions with the side.

“I want to see consistency in performances, making individuals improve their games and personal stats. Apart from stats, I want to see the change in character too,” Hemp said.

“I wish to improve the rankings and aspirationally feature in the top four sides in the world. When we take part in the world cups, opposition and media are talking about us,” he added.

The 49-year-old revealed that he decided to take up the role after witnessing women’s team in the T20 World Cup held in Australia earlier this year.

“I got the idea of squad’s talent from that tournament and when the opportunity arrived to coach international team, it was a straight-forward decision,” he maintained

“I am excited to work for the next two years and hopefully adding some value collectively and individually,” he added.

https://arysports.tv/hemp-aim-take-pakistan-to-four-teams-world/

Karachi: Hailed from Bermuda, Pakistan women’s national team newly appointed head coach David Hemp shed light on local talent which inspired him to become a part of cricket-loving nation.

During his first appearance before journalists as national team’s head coach at National Stadium on Thursday, Hemp talked about what attracted him to apply for the vacant position.

“I think it was Pakistan’s exciting talent which impressed me a lot and here I am as a national women’s team coach,” said the former Bermuda cricketer.

“I saw these girls playing in T20 World Cup earlier this year in Australia. They have the determination to become one of the top sides and I hope they become very soon,” he added.

Coaching Experience

Hemp, who has a vast 30 years of experience on coaching side, said he brings all his experience of 30 years by coaching several teams in Australia, UK, and Bermuda. The 49-years-old believes by the time he will be able to gell with the team and achieve his prime target which is to let them this team find its place into top four.

“I am here to coach these girls and all the experience I have is for them. But, things can’t be changed immediately and we obviously need some time to understand each other. It is better to sit and talk with different perspectives to plan things with a smooth command. I hope with such an approach we will be able to achieve our goals,” he said.

Power-hitting issue

During the presser, hemp was asked to share his thoughts on existing power-hitting issues in the women’s team. “For me, it is not important for a player to hit only sixes. If they can clear the boundary, that’s enough. We want runs and I think fours can do the work. Power-hitting is important nowadays but then as I said, it needs a lot of power, and when players utilize their power, injury risk increases. So, my plan is to work with players to make them capable of hitting the ball hard and not only sixes,” he highlighted.

Ultimate Goal

Hemp said he is all set to plan things through conversating with players and selectors including Urooj Mumtaz and Marna Iqbal. “I think only through conversation we can get the things falling on the right track. I have already discussed a few things with Urooj and Marina and I am really looking forward to working with mutual understanding,” he said.

“I see potential in this team and I want them to become one of the top teams around the world. Currently, England and Australia are the top two women sides and what makes them prominent is consistency. The same thing we will try to bring in this team and that is only possible when we work together,” he concluded.

https://arysports.tv/pakistani-talent-excites-womens-team-new-head-coach/

Seems like David hemp had a good mind set and good head on his shoulders agree with what he says

I think the power hitting issue is something that needs to be addressed and love how he will try to approach it
Not just about hitting sixes but to see if they can find the boundaries and to hit hard along the ground to conveys 1 run into 2 and etc... Hopefully the women's team can achieve good things under him

Good luck mr hemp and to the girls in green all the best

Pakistan women cricketers to tour South Africa next month

• To play three ODIs and three T20Is in Durban and Pietermaritzburg from 20 January to 3 February; ODIs to be broadcast live by SuperSport, T20Is to be live-streamed

• 27 women cricketers invited for a training camp to be held in a bio-secure environment in Karachi from 20 December

• Tour to ensure focus remains on women’s cricket during the difficult Covid-19 times and also help to prepare the Pakistan side for the ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier 2021

• The two sides had featured in a nail-biting series when they last met in South Africa in May 2019

• “The PCB created activities and held a domestic event for the women cricketers to attract and inspire them to remain connected with the game during these challenging times, but nothing can replace international cricket,” says Urooj Mumtaz

Karachi, 14 December 2020:

Pakistan women’s national cricket team will tour South Africa for three ODIs and three T20Is, which will be played in Durban and Pietermaritzburg from 20 January to 3 February, the Pakistan Cricket Board announced today.

In consultation and discussions with Cricket South Africa, the series has been finalised to ensure women’s cricket continues to build on the momentum and successes following the trailblazing ICC Women’s Championship 2017-2020, ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 and the ICC Women’s T20 World Cups 2018 and 2020.

This additional series has also been organised to help both Pakistan and South Africa prepare for the upcoming assignments, in particular Pakistan, who will feature in the ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier in July 2021 for the event proper to be held in New Zealand in early 2022. South Africa, along with world champions England, Australia, India and hosts New Zealand, have already qualified for the World Cup after securing top positions in the ICC Women’s Championship 2017-20.

The series will start and finish in Durban with the first ODI on 20 January and the third T20I on 3 February. Both matches will be played under lights. Durban will also stage the second ODI on 23 January before action will move to Pietermaritzburg where the third ODI and opening two T20Is will be played on 26, 29 and 31 January, respectively.

To prepare and select the best available side and in continuation to the Women’s High Performance Camp and the National Triangular T20 Women’s Cricket Championship, the women’s national selection committee has invited 27 women cricketers for a training and preparation camp, which will be held at the Hanif Mohammad High Performance Centre in Karachi from 20 December.

From the start of the training camp until the side’s departure for Durban on 11 January, the women cricketers will remain and train in a bio-secure environment, besides undergoing routine testing in line with the PCB Covid-19 Protocols. Prior to joining the camp, each cricketer will require a negative test and another negative test after reporting for the camp before being allowed to integrate with other members of the group.

The tour to South Africa will also be the first official assignment of head coach David Hemp and bowling coach Arshad Khan. While Hemp joined forces in October, Arshad was appointed in November. Mohammad Kamran Hussain will be the assistant coach at the training camp.

This will be Pakistan women’s side’s second tour to South Africa within 18 months. In May 2019, Pakistan and South Africa featured in one of the most thrilling, keenly contested and exciting women’s series to date.

The three ICC Women’s Championship ODIs ended in a 1-1 draw when the 12 May third ODI ended in a tie after Nashra Sandhu scored seven runs off the final two deliveries to help Pakistan reach 265 for nine in 50 overs. In the five-match T20I series, Pakistan took a 2-1 lead before South Africa bounced back to clinch the series 3-2.

Women’s chief selector and head of the women’s cricket, Urooj Mumtaz: “It is critical for women’s cricket that we continue to invest in the game in these difficult times, otherwise all the efforts and hard work that have gone recently in building the profile, enhancing the standard and generating fan interest and following will be wasted.

“I am delighted that Cricket South Africa have agreed to host us for a full tour despite having already qualified for the ICC Women’s World Cup 2022. This is yet another indicator and reflection of our relationship with the Member boards who are willing to help and support each other in any possible way.

“The PCB created activities and held a domestic event for the women cricketers to attract and inspire them to remain connected with the game during these challenging times, but nothing can replace international cricket. In this background, it is great that our women cricketers will reap the benefits of their loyalty and commitment to the game by getting an opportunity to play international cricket against a quality side.

“South Africa are ranked above us, both in the ODI and T20I formats and, as such, I am sure this series will go a long way in not only assisting us to further improve our standards but also prepare for June’s ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier 2021 as we aim to finish in the top three and progress to event proper in early 2022 in New Zealand.”

27 probables for the South Africa tour are (18-player squad expected to be announced on Thursday, 31 December 2020 at the National Stadium press conference room early afternoon):

Aiman Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Bismah Maroof, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana Khan, Iram Javed, Javeria Khan, Javeria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Kaynat Hafeez, Maham Tariq, Muneeba Ali, Nahida Khan, Najiha Alvi, Nashra Sandhu, Natalia Pervaiz, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Rameen Shamim, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz and Syeda Aroob Shah

Tour schedule:

11 Jan – Departure for Durban
13-19 Jan – Training, practice and intra-squad matches, Durban
20 Jan – 1st ODI (d/n), Kingsmead Stadium, Durban
23 Jan – 2nd ODI (d), Kingsmead Stadium, Durban
26 Jan – 3rd ODI (d), Pietermaritzburg Oval, Pietermaritzburg
29 Jan – 1st T20I (d), Pietermaritzburg Oval, Pietermaritzburg
31 Jan – 2nd T20I (d), Pietermaritzburg Oval, Pietermaritzburg
3 Feb – 3rd T20I (d/n), Kingsmead Stadium, Durban

Cricket South Africa is pleased to announce the much-anticipated resumption schedule for the Momentum Proteas starting with the arrival of Pakistan in January 2021.

The South African ladies side will be back to playing international cricket after a coronavirus-forced hiatus with a One-Day International and T20 series against Pakistan Women at the start of the year. The month long tour will consist of three ODI’s and three T20 Internationals that will be held under a bio-safe controlled environment, and CSA has pitched these to the government through the Ministry of Sports, Arts and Culture and have been given the green light.

The tour will begin with a warm-up match at Durban’s Chartsworth Oval on January 16 against the South African Emerging squad before the ODI series commences at the nearby Hollywoodbets Kingsmead.

All matches will be played in the KwaZulu-Natal province with the Momentum Proteas kickstarting their summer with a three-match One-Day series, starting on January 20 in Durban. The series-opener will be followed by two ODI matches on January 23 and January 26 at Kingsmead and Pietermaritzburg Oval respectively.

Three T20 Internationals will then follow in umGungundlovu (29 and 31 January 2021) with the last fixture taking place in Durban’s Kingsmead grounds on the 3rd of February 2021.

While the men’s Proteas have made a welcome return to international cricket, CSA Director of Cricket Graeme Smith is confident the Momentum Proteas home series against Pakistan Women will be a successful one for the game in our country.

“We are thrilled as Cricket South Africa to be making this announcement that our Momentum Proteas are heading back to playing competitive cricket again, given the uncertainty and difficulties over the past six months,” Smith said.

“Hosting this tour of Pakistan Women is incredibly important to us as this will give our Protea Women much needed game time and also bring in revenue that funds the entire game of cricket especially during these difficult times. We enjoy a very good working relationship with the Pakistan Cricket board and we look forward to hosting their ladies side in what promises to be an exciting tour in the new year.” he added.

This series will also see the CSA official broadcast partner SuperSport broadcast live all the ODI Matches. SuperSport, who own the rights to broadcast all cricket in South Africa will provide cricket fans with the opportunity to enjoy the much anticipated white-ball action between the two sides live on the World of Champions, a major boost for the women’s game.

Bismah Maroof withdraws from South Africa tour

Lahore, 30 December 2020:

Pakistan national women’s cricket team captain Bismah Maroof has withdrawn from next month’s tour to South Africa due to family reasons.

Bismah had participated in the training camp in Karachi since 20 December, before returning to Lahore on Wednesday to rejoin her family.

Urooj Mumtaz, head of women’s wing and chief selector: “Bismah approached us with a request to be exempted from next month’s tour to South Africa for family reasons, which we have accepted. She was obviously disappointed to miss the series, but family always has to come first.

“When we’ll announce the 17-player squad on Thursday, we’ll name the stand-in captain as well for the South Africa tour, which comprises three ODIs and three T20Is.”

Previous media release on the South Africa tour is available here.

The women national selection committee announced a 17-player squad for ODI and T20I series against South Africa, which will be played in Durban and Pietermaritzburg.

Javeria Khan will take the captaincy responsibilities in the absence of Bismah Maroof.

Urooj Mumtaz-led selection committee, which also includes Asmavia Iqbal and Marina Iqbal, considered on-field performances in the National Triangular T20 Women’s Cricket Championship, played from 22 November until 1 December in Rawalpindi, along with form and fitness of the players in the High Performance and probables camp while finalising the squad.

Ayesha Zafar, Kainat Imtiaz, Nahida Khan and Nashra Sandhu return to the women’s national team for the tour in which they will play the hosts in three ODIs and as many T20Is.

Nahida Khan finished the National Triangular T20 Women’s Cricket Championship as the leading run-scorer with 154 runs at an average above 51 from her four outings. Her PCB Dynamites teammate Ayesha Zafar was the fourth best batter in the tournament with 111 runs.

All-rounder Kainat Imtiaz was awarded player of the tournament award as she scored 111 runs from four outings, getting dismissed once, and took three wickets, while left-arm spinner Nashra Sandhu finished as the joint leading wicket-taker in the tournament with four wickets at 25.

When the team takes the field for the first one-dayer at Kingsmead Stadium, Durban, on 20 January, it will mark their return to international cricket after over 10 months due to the Covid-19-enforced hiatus.

After the second one-dayer at the same venue on 23 January, they will move to Pietermaritzburg where they will play the third ODI on 26 January and first two T20Is on 29 and 31 January.

For the last T20I on 3 February, which will also be the last match of the tour, the team will return to Durban.

Urooj Mumtaz, the chair of national women selection committee: “The squad has been selected after closely observing the players in the recent High Performance and probables camps and the National Triangular T20 Women’s Cricket Championship. We have seen significant improvement over the last three months in the intent and mindset of the players and the team is shaping up well for the upcoming series. The squad is well balanced and possesses a good blend of youth and experience for what promises to be an exciting tour.

“Javeria Khan is an experienced campaigner and has the desired understanding of the game which is necessary to lead the national women’s team. She has undertaken this responsibility in the past and I am certain she will rise to the occasion and inspire the players.

“Our last tour to South Africa in 2018 produced high-quality cricket and we are looking forward to yet another competitive tour, which will be instrumental for the new head coach David Hemp as well as in our preparations for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers.

“Selecting a squad is never a stroll in the park and naming 17 players for this tour was no different. David and I have identified key areas of the game where these players must continue to improve. We will be having honest conversations with the players who were unable to make it this time, as they remain an integral part of our plans.”

The 17-player squad will continue to prepare for the tour in the bio-secure environment, which was set up on 20 December for the probables camp, in Karachi before their departure on 11 January.

Squad (for ODIs and T20Is)

Javeria Khan (c), Aimen Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Kainat Imtiaz, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Nawaz (wk) and Syeda Aroob Shah

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) today confirmed that England Women will tour Pakistan in October, taking part in two IT20s and three ODIs.

Heather Knight's team will be making their first-ever trip to Pakistan, and will be alongside the England Men's white-ball team, with the two IT20s played as double-headers in Karachi on 14 and 15 October.

England Women will then stay in Karachi to compete in three ODIs on 18, 20 and 22 October.

ECB Managing Director of Women's Cricket, Clare Connor, said: “We are absolutely delighted to be making this historic announcement today. The England Women’s cricket team has never toured Pakistan before so this is another important step in our history and journey.

"Not only will this be a cricket tour that provides valuable competitive opportunity to both teams, it should also serve as another powerful and positive message as we drive forward our equality ambitions for more women and girls to derive empowerment through the sport.

"I was in Pakistan last year and I know the impact that a women’s tour such as this can have and how memorable an experience it will be for our players and staff.”

PCB Chief Executive, Wasim Khan, said: “World champions England accompanying their men’s side for their first-ever tour to Karachi is an extremely powerful and strong announcement for Pakistan, our women’s cricketers as well as for the global sport.

“This announcement reflects the confidence, trust and relationship the PCB enjoys with the England and Wales Cricket Board, and is an acknowledgement for the successful delivery of international and domestic cricket in the challenging and difficult 2020.

“Women’s T20Is taking place before the men’s matches at the iconic National Stadium will mean more eyeballs will follow these matches than ever before. While this presents a great opportunity for the PCB to showcase the image and profile of women’s cricket, it is a chance for the women cricketers to demonstrate their talent and skills, and play their part in attracting, inspiring and motivating the next generation of women cricketers so that they can also fall in love with this great sport.

“The three ODIs against the world champions will assist the Pakistan women’s side to access, gauge and fine-tune their ICC Women’s World Cup 2022 preparations as they aim to produce improved performances than in the past.

“Like the England men’s side, I am confident the women’s tour will open up opportunities for their future tours that will further contribute in promoting women’s cricket in Pakistan and helping our national side to narrow the gap with the leading nations.”

Series schedule

14 October: 1st IT20, National Stadium, Karachi
15 October: 2nd IT20, National Stadium, Karachi
18 October: 1st ODI, National Stadium, Karachi
20 October: 2nd ODI, National Stadium, Karachi
22 October: 3rd ODI, National Stadium, Karachi

South Africa-bound women’s national team clear pre-departure Covid-19 testing

Karachi, 10 January 2021:

All 24 squad members – 17 players and seven officials – of the women’s national cricket team for the South Africa tour have cleared the pre-departure Covid-19 testing.

The women’s team will depart for Durban, South Africa, on 11 January.

The Javeria Khan-led side will play three One-Day Internationals and three Twenty20 Internationals on the tour.

Cricket South Africa have implemented time and venue changes to the upcoming Pakistan Women inbound tour that is poised to begin this month.

CSA, along with Pakistan Cricket Board have confirmed the fixture list and schedule for the tour of South Africa, which will feature three ODI’S followed by as many T20 internationals, starting January 20.

Durban will now host all of the six matches of the two limited-overs series with all matches confirmed as day matches due to the South African curfew regulations.

The Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Ground will be the venue for all matches with ODI’S commencing at 10h00, while the T20I will now start at 15h30 with all matches broadcast live on SuperSport.

Hilton Moreeng’s charges have settled in the bio secure environment as they near the start of their first series in ten months. The Proteas will play an internal squad game on Thursday, 14 January in Pietermaritzburg to sharpen up their readiness for the all important series against a competent Pakistan outfit.

Full Fixture list:

ODI

20 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (10h00)

23 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (10h00)

26 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (10h00)

T20I

29 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (15h30)

31 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (15h30)

3 Feb 21 - Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (15h30)

Momentum Proteas‚ the senior women’s national cricket team‚ will host Pakistan for a six-match limited-overs series without captain Dane van Niekerk and her deputy Chloe Tryon due to injuries.

The South Africans will be back playing international cricket after the coronavirus-forced interruption with three ODIs and three T20 matches to be held in a bio-secure controlled environment.

The tour will begin with a warm-up at Durban’s Chatsworth Oval on Saturday against the SA Emerging squad before the start of the ODI series at the Kingsmead Stadium on January 20.

Team doctor Tshegofatso Gaetsewe said the two all-rounders are in advanced stages of rehabilitation after sustaining injuries late in 2020.

“With regards to captain Van Niekerk and Tryon, both of them sustained lower back injuries in December and both are currently in different phases of rehabilitation‚” said Gaetsewe during a virtual media briefing on Monday with head coach Hilton Moreeng.

“They are doing well. It is just that they are not eligible for this tour. But everything about their rehab is on track and we are satisfied and hopeful they will join us for the next tour.”

Gaetsewe said another crucial member of the team, Marizanne Kapp‚ who was in hospital after a heart scare while playing for the Sydney Sixers in a Women’s Big Bash League match in November‚ is with the squad and in good health.

“Kapp is currently with us in Durban, so she is part of our camp and our play group‚” said the doctor.

“She is in good condition. Her health issues that we encountered in Australia have been taken care of and anything she needs subsequent to that she will get. For now, for this tour everything is OK. She is in good health and I don’t anticipate any problems.”

Gaetsewe also revealed there had been positive cases of Covid-19 among the staff and playing squad since the team reported for the bio-secure environment on Friday, but said the positive cases were asymptomatic.

“From the contingent of players and management‚ the first tests [for Covid-19] came out with two positive results. Forty-one people were tested and one member of staff and one player tested positive. Neither of them were ill and neither of them had symptoms‚” said Gaetsewe‚ adding that the positive cases were isolated.

“They are now doing well in isolation and will join the bio-safe environment at a later stage if deemed necessary.

“Since we arrived in Durban‚ our venue and training facility and subsequently the match venues will also adhere to bio-secure regulations that have been set out by the ministry of health and Cricket SA.”

Gaetsewe said a second round of testing produced negative results and he confirmed there will be another round of testing on Wednesday.

“The players are currently divided into small groups and they will train in those small groups until we do our next test on January 13.

“Our camp is a month long so we are going to do a number of serial tests just to make sure we do not miss the number of symptomatic cases that can potentially spread.”

All matches will be played in KwaZulu-Natal.

The series opener will be followed by two ODIs on January 23 and 26 at Kingsmead and Pietermaritzburg Oval.

The three T20s will then follow in uMgungundlovu on January 29 and 31, with the last fixture taking place at Kingsmead on February 3.

Moreeng is happy with how preparations have gone‚ despite the circumstances‚ with the team having been inactive for more than 10 months.

“I think for us, as the doctor has highlighted‚ it has been a challenging environment‚” he said.

“You can call it a new norm for us but what is most important is that we make sure we get an opportunity to play cricket because it has been almost a year since we last played cricket as a team.”

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/s...oteas-to-face-pakistan-without-their-captain/

DURBAN: Cricket South Africa Women’s Under-19 and Women’s National Academy coach, Dinesha Devnarain is pleased with the work the Momentum Proteas players have put in their pre-tour camps and believes that effort has fulfilled the team’s objectives in preparing for their home tour against Pakistan starting in Durban on Wednesday 20 January.

The Proteas women side have been in camp for the past five days, refining their game ahead of their first competitive international cricket in ten months. The last bit of action the ladies saw was the T20 Women Super League that was held in Cape Town during the month of December 2020 and Devnarain believes this series on home soil is an ideal opportunity for her academy youngsters and those who performed admirably in the T20 tournament to show their performance at the international stage.

“We were blessed enough to host a lot of camps leading up to this series that has helped our preparations to go well now and hopefully we can have a good showcase of cricket,” says the young mentor at the team’s training base in Kingsmead.

“We have quite a few of the young academy players here and now It is a great opportunity for them and the players who have done well in the WSL (Women Super League) to take that performance to international cricket. I just hope they go out there with a fearless brand of cricket and hopefully can be match winners for their country, especially with a few of our senior players missing out due to injury.”

The Pakistan tour includes three One-Day Internationals and three T20 internationals.

The former Proteas player, is delighted with the matches taking place in her home city of Ethekwini and is hoping to use her knowledge of home conditions to good use and is cautiously optimistic of the team’s chances against the visitors.

“Luckily, I am from Durban and in terms of acclimatizing I can give the girls few tips here and there. However, that alone will not give us the edge, at the end of the day we have to play a good brand of cricket that will show how far we have come as a team and be cognizant that Pakistan are a very good side that will give us a good run for our money.” said Devnarain.

The first ODI will be played at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead with the match live on SuperSport from 10h00. The entire Pakistan tour to South Africa will be live on the premier sports channel with exclusive content of the proteas players in the BSE (Bio Secure Environment).

Full Fixture list:

ODI

20 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (10h00)

23 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (10h00)

26 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (10h00)

T20I

29 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (15h30)

31 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (15h30)

3 Feb 21 - Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women Kingsmead (15h30)

DURBAN: Momentum Proteas youngsters Faye Tunnicliffe and Nondumiso Shangase are both hoping to make their mark for South Africa when they take on Pakistan during their home tour starting in Durban next week.

Hilton Moreeng’s girls will face the Asian side in a three-match One-Day International Series followed by a three-game Twenty20 International sequence, all in BSE (Bio Secure Environment) in the coastal city.

The matches will be the first for the hosts since their exciting performance at last year’s ICC T20 Women’s Cricket World Cup where they were narrowly beaten by hosts Australia in the semi-finals on March 5 at Sydney.

The world has changed since then following the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic, prompting no cricket for the rest of 2020, apart from the Women’s Super League (WSL) that was held in Cape Town last month.

Tunnicliffe impressed with the bat and ended as the third-highest run scorer behind established players Sune Luus and Laura Wolvaardt.

She was rewarded for her form by being named in the squad for the tour. Others that made an impact at WSL 3.0 have also earned national call-ups, amongst them being uncapped quartet - Nobulumko Baneti, Evodia Yekile, Jenay Winster and Khayakazi Mathe.

All of them will be bidding to carry their form into the Pakistan series, where they will be aiming to make a big impression.

“Coming into an environment like this is an amazing opportunity to learn,” Western Province batter Tunnicliffe said. “I think now is really a good time for us youngsters to step up and really prove to the older players or the more senior players that once they leave the system then we’ve got their backs and we can sort of fill that gap.

“We really want to just instil that trust within them and I think that is very important for us as youngsters.”

The 22-year-old, who has already earned 11 caps for South Africa in limited-overs cricket, says that the rookies have also been learning from the senior pros in the squad.

“We’re learning from them by just watching and chatting to them here and there, asking them for tips on our own games, whether it’s batting or bowling or even fielding, those small pieces of advice really help.

“There’s been times in the past where I think nerves would sort of get to us, but now is the time to keep our heads strong on our shoulders and really just take the opportunities that we get. We’re looking forward to it.”

Shangase too is looking forward to the opportunity to continue her growth on the biggest stage.

The KwaZulu-Natal spinning all-rounder says the camp in Durban, which began last week, has gone excellently thus far.

“Training from day one until today has been really good,” she said. “The break (that came because of the virus) was really long and now we cannot wait to get going again. We spent enough time at home over the last few months, but now we just want to play.”

The 24-year-old is also trying to remain calm ahead of more possible opportunities to play for the Momentum Proteas during the series.

“I’m just going to try and keep it simple because if we can get the basics right then everything else will fall into place,” she added.

The series begins with 50-over action and the first ODI that takes place next Wednesday. All the matches during the tour will be broadcast live on SuperSport.

Momentum Proteas squad for the training camp: Lizelle Lee (North West), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Trisha Chetty (KZN Coastal), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Shabnim Ismail (KZN Coastal), Sune Luus (Northerns), Ayabonga Khaka (Gauteng), Maria Klaas (North West), Nadine de Klerk (Western Province), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Sinalo Jafta (Western Province), Lara Goodall (Western Province), Andrie Steyn (Western Province), Robyn Searle (Gauteng), Nonkululeko Mlaba (KZN Coastal), Faye Tunnicliffe (Western Province), Tazmin Brits (North West), Anneke Bosch (North West), Nondumiso Shangase (KZN Coastal), Nobulumko Baneti (Border), Khayakazi Mathe (Border), Evodia Yekile (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Jenay Winster (SWD), Kirstie Thompson (Gauteng)

Full fixture list

ODI

20 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

23 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

26 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

T20I

29 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

31 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

03 Feb 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

DURBAN: Cricket South Africa have named a 18-strong player squad to take on Pakistan Women in the three One Day Internationals and three T20 matches as they look ahead to making a strong comeback to international cricket.

The first of the three-match one-day series will commence on January 20th at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead stadium.

Northerns all-rounder Sune Luus has been named the Momentum Proteas captain, standing in for Dane van Niekerk who is missing out due to injury. The 25-year-old Luus has been confirmed to lead the side in both formats.

MOMENTUM PROTEAS ODI & T20 SQUAD

Sune Luus ©️

Laura Wolvaardt

Trisha Chetty (w/k)

Mignon du Preez

Shabnim Ismail

Lizelle Lee

Ayabonga Khaka

Masabata Klaas

Nadine de Klerk

Tumi Sekhukhune

Sinalo Jafta

Marizanne Kapp

Lara Goodall

Nondumiso Shangase

Nonkululeko Mlaba

Faye Tunnicliffe

Anneke Bosch

Tazmin Brits

SUPPORTING STAFF

Hilton Moreeng (Head Coach)

Dillon du Preez (Assistant Coach)

Sedibu Mohlaba (Team Manager)

Tshegofatso Gaetsewe (Team Doctor)

Abram Ramoadi (Performance Analyst)

Dinesha Devnarain (Women’s High-Performance Coach)

Molebatsi Theletsane (Physiotherapist)

Zane Webster (Strength and Conditioning)

Koketso Gaofetoge (Media Manager)

Proteas Coach Hilton Moreeng said: “I’m excited about this group we have selected, and the players have a great opportunity to continue with the great strides they have made at this level and also opportunities to the young ones.

“Many in the squad have international experience including our captain Sune who has lead us with composure in the past and hopefully will do likewise on this tour. There are several talented youngsters who show exciting potential and giving some of them an opening will not only increase the squad’s depth but increase competition for places.”

Full fixture list

ODI

20 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

23 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

26 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

T20I

29 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

31 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

03 Feb 21 – Momentum Proteas v Pakistan Women – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

Pakistan women’s national cricket team will be in action after a gap of over 10 months when they step out on the field at Kingsmead Cricket Stadium for the first of the three one-day-internationals against South Africa on Wednesday.

The national women’s team played their last international game during the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 in Australia before the Covid-19 pandemic brought an abrupt halt to sporting activities across the globe.

Javeria Khan who is the joint leading run-scorer for her side against South Africa captains Pakistan for the series. The right-handed top-order batter has scored 377 in 14 innings and has struck the most fours (41) for her side.

Her batting average of 48 is the best for a Pakistan batter against South Africa in South Africa.

The 17-member line-up also boasts all-rounder Nida Dar, who has the best bowling average of 18 and the second best economy rate of 3.07 amongst the Pakistan bowlers who have bowled 60 or more overs against South Africa.

Pakistan’s last tour of South Africa in May 2019 resulted in one of the most thrilling ODI series played in the history of the women’s game. The three-match ODI series, part of ICC Women’s Championship, ended in tie with the 1-1 scoreline. That the series finished that way was because of left-arm orthodox Nashra Sandhu, who dazzled with the bat scoring seven runs off the last two balls of the final match.

This series also serves as a platform for the women’s team to begin their preparations for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers which will be held in July this year.

All three ODIs and the three T20Is, which follow them, will be played at the Kingsmead Cricket Stadium and this will mark the first instance of the side playing at this venue.

Javeria Khan: “We are absolutely delighted to be in South Africa to resume international cricket after a long gap of 10 months. We have been eagerly waiting for this moment and since now it is here, every player is excited and looking forward to making it memorable.

“This squad has been sweating it out and have put in the hard yards in the last three months. Despite Covid-19 pandemic, we were fortunate enough to have a strength and conditioning camp, a three-team domestic T20 tournament and a pre-departure camp in which we got the desired match practice.

“This series is of great significance for us as it not only allows us to play a better-ranked side but it also serves as a platform to kick off our preparations for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers later this year. We have had competitive training sessions since our arrival here and they have helped us in acclimatisation.”

Pakistan and South Africa have played 21 ODIs against each other. Pakistan have won four, while South Africa have won 15.

Pakistan squad:

Javeria Khan (c), Aimen Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Kainat Imtiaz, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Nawaz (wk) and Syeda Aroob Shah

Tour schedule (all matches at Kingsmead Cricket Stadium, Durban):

20 Jan – First ODI, 1pm (PST)
23 Jan – Second ODI, 1pm (PST)
26 Jan – Third ODI, 1pm (PST)

29 Jan – First T20I, 6.30pm (PST)
31 Jan – Second T20I, 6.30pm (PST)
3 Feb – Third T20I, 6.30pm (PST)

DURBAN - With the ICC Women’s World Cup a year away from now, what better way of preparing than getting back to ODI action against a competitive Pakistan Women side?

The Momentum Proteas have three ODI games against Pakistan Women starting with tomorrow’s opener at the Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium.

Team captain Sune Luus knows all about playing Pakistan, having gone into battle with them two years ago on home soil and drawing the ODI series in what was a well fought series. This time around the skipper believes the Proteas Women will have to stamp their authority from the first ball as they look to assert themselves with distinction in the ODI format.

“We love playing against Pakistan as they test us in all areas of our game,” says the 25-year-old captain.

“The last time they were here in South Africa they gave us a good run for our money and that is the kind of competition we are looking for as a team. The goal for us is to go out tomorrow and make our mark from the first ball because we do not want a repeat of the last time they were here where we allowed them to assert themselves on our home conditions. We have grown as a team since and have worked extremely hard to get our ODI game into a position where we can be a force to be reckoned with, especially with an eye on next year’s World Cup.”

Luus knows that every match against Pakistan is tough, especially with the Proteas gunning for top spot in the ODI format.

“We know when we play against Pakistan that we are in for a real battle. Our rivalry has grown over the years and whilst we have had the edge over them historically, we have had some great, challenging series against them and have no doubt this one will be just as competitive.”

The young skipper noted that the recent national team schedule had kept the players busy and ready for the upcoming challenge.

“If we look back to our season, we have not had a lot of International cricket due to the pandemic, however management have arranged camps and the WSL (Women Super League) T20 to get us to this stage where we feel we are ready for the big stage. The players have had a great deal of net sessions and in time in the middle, so we are happy with our preparation leading into the match tomorrow.

“This is a key series to lead into. It will a good indication to see where we are at as a team. Our return to international cricket campaign plan has been well thought out and after this series we will review and look at what we need to fine tune.” concluded Luus.

The first ball will be at (10:00am SA Time) at the Hollywoodbets Cricket stadium.

MOMENTUM PROTEAS ODI SQUAD
Sune Luus ©, Laura Wolvaardt, Trisha Chetty (w/k), Mignon du Preez, Shabnim Ismail, Lizelle Lee, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Nadine de Klerk, Tumi Sekhukhune, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp
Lara Goodall, Nondumiso Shangase, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Faye Tunnicliffe, Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits

Fixture list

ODI

All players and officials of the Pakistan women's national team have cleared their third Covid-19 testing.

Previously, they had cleared the on-arrival and second testing conducted on 12 and 15 January

The three-match ODI series between South Africa's and Pakistan's women's sides begin today.

Last edited:
Toss update - First ODI, Pakistan women have elected to bowl first after winning the toss

South Africa
1. Lizelle Lee
2. Laura Wolvaardt
3. Sune Luus (c)
4. Lara Goodall
5. Mignon du Preez
6. Marizanne Kapp
7. Nadine de Klerk
8. Trisha Chetty (wk)
9. Shabnim Ismail
10. Tumi Sekhukune
11. Nonkululeko Mlaba

12. Nondumiso Shangase (12th)
13. Tazmin Brits (13th)
14. Faye Tunnicliffe
15. Anneke Bosch

b4ad2951-14c8-4384-94a3-d67ced1e9606.jpg

South Africa take the victory in the final over - 197/8 after 50 overs

MOMENTUM PROTEAS BEGIN THEIR ODI CAMPAIGN WITH A NARROW THREE-RUN WIN

Wednesday, 20 January 2021

DURBAN: The Momentum Proteas got their campaign off to good start with a narrow three-run win in the first One-Day International (ODI) against Pakistan Women at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium, in Durban.

After Pakistan won the toss and elected to bowl first the Proteas were restricted to a modest 200/9 in their 50 overs with Marizanne Kapp and Laura Wolvaardt the standout batters with scores of 47 and 40 respectively.

The visitors got two early wickets through their seam bowler Diana Baig to put the hosts on the back foot with the wickets of Lizelle Lee (0) in the opening over and that of captain Sune Luus (12) who was clean bowled leaving the Proteas reeling on 24/2 after five overs.

Instead of crumbling under pressure, Wolvaardt and Lara Goodall stabilized the innings with a partnership of 60 until the latter tried to sweep one off Nashra Sandhu’s bowling only to be clean bowled. Despite her usual busy self with three boundaries in a composed 40 off 62 deliveries Wolvaardt soon followed, trying to get a quick run that led to a brilliant run out from the visitors.

With the hosts on 88/4 Mignon du Preez and Marizanne Kapp were left with the responsibility of rebuilding again and their 5th wicket stand of 64 pushed the Momentum Proteas to a respectable score of 200.

In their response chasing 201, Pakistan failed to get any partnerships going as the Proteas took no mercy with the ball as they claimed key wickets in the first 10 overs without conceding many runs. Shabnim Ismail was the first to strike with the wicket of Muneeba Ali caught behind for a single run. Next to follow was Nahida Khan (13) who was run out by Ismail.

Javeria Khan was the third to fall also caught behind off the bowling of debutant Nonkululeko Mlaba with the scoreboard on 42 at the tenth over, before Omaima Sohail compiled 37 off 67 balls and Sidra Nawaz was soon out LBW from the bowling of Tumi Sekhukhune for a single run.

Omaima Sohail (37 off 67) and Nida Dar steered Pakistan in the right direction before Sohail was run out. Ismail got back in on the action and took two more wickets to seal victory for the Proteas.

Toss: Pakistan wins the toss and elects to bowl first in 2nd ODI vs SAW

32cec5ac-e8e5-4e86-a0cb-f2fe0f934041.jpgCapture.JPG

Pakistan women cricket team’s tour of Africa was extended after it was agreed that they will play three 50-over matches and two T20Is in Zimbabwe after their tour of South Africa.

The women’s side will play their last match against South Africa in Durban on 3 February, and will travel to Harare for five additional matches, which will be played from 11-20 February.

The 50-over matches will be non-ODIs as Zimbabwe does not have an ODI status, but the 20-over games will be internationals. These additional matches have been scheduled to help both Pakistan and Zimbabwe to prepare for the ICC Women’s World Cup 2021 Qualifier, which is expected to be staged in July.

Pakistan women cricket team’s head coach David Hemp: “This is an excellent news for our team as we need sufficient competitive matches so that we go into the World Cup qualifiers as best prepared as practically possible in these difficult times.”

This will be Zimbabwe women cricket team’s first series since May 2019.

Series schedule

11 Feb – first 50-over match, Harare Sports Club
13 Feb – second 50-over match, Harare Sports Club
15 Feb – third 50-over match, Harare Sports Club
18 Feb – 1st T20I, Harare Sports Club
20 Feb – 2nd T20I, Harare Sports Club

Pak women lose 2nd ODI as well.

EsbUuylXEAATCIx

Pak women lose 2nd ODI as well.

EsbUuylXEAATCIx

DURBAN - The Momentum Proteas produced a fighting performance with the ball to edge Pakistan Women by 14 runs in a nail-biting 2nd One-Day International (ODI) at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on Saturday to earn an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match ODI series.

Marizanne Kapp scored her ninth ODI half-century and took three wickets to help the Proteas beat Pakistan and jolt their Black Day ODI on a positive note in what promises to be a thrilling marque event for the side.

Pakistan captain Javeria Khan won the toss and elected to field and South African batters reacted with a score of 252/7 with Kapp sparkling with a well-played 68 off 45 balls.

The other Proteas batters managed to get starts however failed to convert after a reasonable start for the openers who managed a partnership of 52 runs. Laura Wolvaardt was the first to fall cheaply for 27 off 34 balls with a run out after a miscommunication with her opening partner Lizelle Lee. The third wicket partnership of Lara Goodall and Lee managed to add 37 until Lee was caught behind off the bowling of Sadia Iqbal.

After Lee’s dismissal, Goodall and Sune Luus went on a rebuilding mission and they put together a partnership of 52 that left a foundation for the resolute Kapp.

The all-rounder arrived at the crease with the score on 141/4 after 34 overs and was instrumental in the Proteas posting an imposing 252/7 batting first on a rather slow Kingsmead wicket.

Pakistan Women could only muster 239/8 with the duo of Nida Dar and Aliya Riaz with a record fifth wicket stand of 111 runs. Unfortunately for the visitors the stand between Dar and Riaz was not enough to secure victory as the hosts fought back with the ball.

Ayabonga Khaka made a welcome return as she was the standout bowler with figures of 4/43 while Kapp came through with the ball as she picked key three wickets.

Apart from the middle order duo with the record stand and Omaima Sohail (41 off 33), no other batter was able to convert their knocks for the visitors.

The hosts will take more positives from their two games given this was their fifth consecutive win and will want to continue on that winning streak.

Pakistan on the other hand will be aware they have plenty of work to do in the 50-over format after being surpassed by the Proteas outfit missing captain Dane van Niekerk and Chloe Tryon.

The last ODI match of the series will be played on Tuesday, 26 January.

Pakistan women cricket team faced another marginal defeat on Saturday against South Africa as the hosts went 2-0 up in the three-ODI series. In their pursuit of 253 under at sweltering Kingsmead Cricket Stadium, Pakistan, led by all-rounder Aliya Riaz, staged a remarkable comeback after being five down for 73 in 18 overs. The tourists, however, fell 13 runs short of the target.

Aliya, playing her 29th ODI, scored career-best 81 – the best score in the match for both sides. Her knock was studded with seven fours and a one gigantic six off Marizanne Kapp.

She made history during her 95-ball stay as she recorded the best partnership – in terms of runs – for the sixth-wicket for Pakistan with Nida Dar, who with an 89-ball 51 scored second half-century on trot and sixth overall, and the fourth highest in the history of the women’s ODI as the two all-rounders contributed 111 runs. Prior to her batting exploits, the 28-year-old had sent down five economical overs, which leaked 23 runs.

“We knew the South Africa series was going to challenge us,” Aliya, who joined Nida on the wicket at the fall of the fifth wicket, told PCB Digital. “They are a good team and the conditions here can be tough for the Subcontinent teams. We are returning to cricket after a 10-month-long gap. In the two matches, we have won small battles, but it is about crossing the line where we need to improve ourselves.

“This is where the recently announced Zimbabwe series will come in handy as we will get more matches under our belts ahead of the all-important ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers later this year.”

The third and final ODI between the two teams will be played on Tuesday, 26 January. Aliya says her side will be making the most of it to strengthen team combinations and get the momentum ahead of the three-match T20I series between the two sides that will be played from 29 January until 3 February at the Kingsmead Cricket Stadium.

“The series is settled with South Africa as the winners but any team, any player will take 2-1 as a scoreline rather than 3-0. We are looking at the third match as another opportunity to go out and express ourselves and hopefully end the series on the winning note, which will get us the desired momentum ahead of the three T20Is.”

Pakistan squad: Javeria Khan (c), Aimen Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Kainat Imtiaz, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Nawaz (wk) and Syeda Aroob Shah

I was watching the match highlights, the umpire was incredibly, incredibly biased. There were two wickets (one in each match) where it was very clearly sliding down leg but given lbw.

I’ll post pictures in some time when I can. These were absolute screamers. Is there no DRS in women’s cricket?

It's always nice to see women also playing cricket and giving their 100% best.

One thing I noticed in Pak womens cricket a long while back was that they struggle to hit out as they barely manage to hit out of the circle and like the mens team, play lots of dot balls.

Bismah is missing badly!!!! She is 50% of our team. Sidra is just another parchi player and needs to be kicked.

DURBAN: The Momentum Proteas will be bidding for a series sweep when they face Pakistan in the final One-Day International (ODI) at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on Tuesday.

The hosts won the first two matches by three and 13 runs respectively but are seeking a more clinical display in match three, especially after a less than impressive performance in the field during Black Day where they spurned several catches.

In fact, their failure to hold on to catches almost came back to haunt them in that game and opener Lizelle Lee says they are determined to do much better than what the results have been showing.

“I think the team is in a good space, but to be honest we haven’t done what we set out to do,” she lamented. “I think there is still a lot of hard work that needs to be done.

“Pakistan has given us some tough times on the weekend, and we expect them to come back really hard in this last game, especially because they will have something to prove and there’s no way we can sit back and expect that things are just going to happen for us.

“We’re going to have to work hard and make sure we get those basics right which we had set out to do in the beginning of the tour.”

South Africa are also bidding to extend their winning streak to six matches in a row after they beat New Zealand 3-0 in their last ODI series prior to the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Since then they have had a number of their tours cancelled, but Lee says that that sloppiness during the first two games should not be blamed on the 11-month hiatus.

“We’ve been out for 11 months but that’s no excuse for not being good in the field or being unable to execute some skill sets,” she said. “At the end of the day we still had a lot of time to train and prepare.

“So there’s no excuses for the things that we did. Hopefully we can try and set that right in the next game.

The 28-year-old, who will win her 85th ODI cap for her country if she plays on Tuesday, recorded a duck in the opening match, before bouncing back with 47 in the second game.

She is hoping to at least cross the half-century mark in the final game as she aims for more consistency at the top of the order.

“I’ve been hitting the ball extremely well in the nets and it’s sometimes a struggle to carry that into a game,” Lee added. “I’m very disappointed with how I got out the other day.

I think if look back we’ll see it wasn’t a great ball. I think that’s the thing with our batting line-up, there’s been a lot of soft dismissals.

“On a personal note as well, I think to be a good player you have to be consistent. It’s something I’ve struggled with in the last two years and it’s something I’ll be hoping to improve on.”

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has congratulated the Momentum Proteas for winning their Women’s One-Day International Series against Pakistan on Tuesday.

South Africa completed a 3-0 series sweep when they won the final match by 32 runs at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium in Durban.

Hilton Moreeng’s charges won the previous two games by three and 13 runs respectively – the second match of the contest being the first-ever Black Day outing theme that saw the hosts play in a black strip to raise awareness for the fight against Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in South Africa.

“I big message of congratulations to the Momentum Proteas for claiming an outstanding 3-0 series win,” stated CSA Director of Cricket Graeme Smith. “Coming back to play competitive cricket after such a long time is never easy, but the players showed total professionalism and focus.

“The past year was not easy with the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic, which forced many series to be postponed, but the head coach Hilton Moreeng and his coaching staff kept the players well drilled through the various training camps they held. Their efforts have been well rewarded.

“It must also be noted that regular captain Dane van Niekerk could not play due to injury, but Sune (Luus) did an excellent job as stand-in skipper. Overall, the Momentum Proteas continue to show great progress. This was their sixth WODI win in a row and that in itself is a massive achievement.”

Head of Momentum Metropolitan Sponsorships and Events, Carel Bosman, added: “To the Momentum Proteas, congratulations on a great win. You stepped up and have been successful in your first series since the return of international cricket.

“From all of us at Momentum a warm congratulations, and we wish you all best for the next series and your build-up to hopefully a World Cup in 2022.”

South Africa women defeated Pakistan women by 32 runs in the third and final One-Day International at Kingsmead Cricket Stadium on Tuesday and sealed the series 3-0.

In pursuit of 202, the tourists were bowled out for 169.

Pakistan were off to a shaky start as opener Nahida Khan (three off 11) and one-drop Omaima Sohail (two off seven) made their way to the pavilion early in the chase with the scorecard reading 12 for two in 4.4 overs.

Kainat Imtiaz, making her come back, scored 16 off 46 balls, after coming out to bat at number four, before she was caught off South Africa captain Sune Luus.

Nida Dar, who had scored back-to-back half-centuries in the previous two ODIs, was South Africa captain’s next wicket as she fell for 26-ball 14. In her next over, the 26th of the innings, she dismissed her Pakistan counterpart, Javeria Khan, who scored 33 off 61 balls.

A 39-run partnership for the sixth-wicket between Aliya Riaz – who finished the series as the highest run-getter from both sides with 136 runs, including her career-best 81, at 45.33 – and Sidra Nawaz (25 off 35) ensued. That the partnership does not pose any threat to the hosts was ensured by Ayabonga Khaka who caught and bowled Sidra.

Aliya, after scoring 41-ball 27, followed Sidra 12 runs later.

Diana Baig coming to bat at nine, scored 21 off 24 balls, which included two boundaries.

The tourists were bowled for 169 in 48 overs.

Earlier, Diana’s career-best four for 30 helped Pakistan restrict the hosts to 201 in 50 overs despite a solid start. The right-arm pacer finished as the highest wicket-taker in the series, taking nine wickets at 13.22 runs per dismissal.

Openers Lizelle Lee and Laura Wolvaardt added 79 runs for the first wicket after Javeria opted to bowl after winning the toss for the third time in the series.

Nashra Sandhu broke the opening partnership in the 18th over as Lee (49 off 68, seven fours) fell one run short of what would have been her 19th half-century.

Wolvaardt scored 58 – the right-hander’s 17th half-century – before pacer Diana accounted for her in the 28th over, which turned out to be double-wicket maiden as Lara Goodall (0 off three) followed Woolvardt back in the pavilion three balls later.

Luus (15 off 34) became off-spinner Omaima Sohail’s second ODI wicket in the 31st over and Nashra, the left-arm orthodox, took her second wicket in the 32nd over as she sent debutant Tazmin Brits back to the pavilion.

Except for Trisha Chetty (34 off 43), no South Africa batter challenged the Pakistan bowlers as the tourists put a lid on the flow of runs.

Anam Amin, bowling for the first time in ODI cricket since October 2018, got the wicket of Anne Bosch (15 off 25) as she returned one for 39, which included a maiden, before Diana struck again to reduce the hosts to 157 for seven with the wicket of Shabnim Ismail (one off four).

Diana’s fourth wicket of the innings came on the first ball of the last over as Chetty was caught by Nahida Khan.

South Africa and Pakistan will now lock horns in a three-T20I series, which commences from 29 January, at the Kingsmead Cricket Stadium before they fly to Harare to play Zimbabwe women in three 50-over matches and two T20Is.

Scores in brief:

South Africa women beat Pakistan women by 32 runs

South Africa 201 all out, 50 overs (Laura Wolvaardt 58, Lizelle Lee 49, Trisha Chetty 34; Diana Baig 4-30, Nashra Sandhu 2-31)

Pakistan 169 all out, 48 overs (Javeria Khan 33, Aliya Riaz 27, Sidra Nawaz 25, Diana Baig 21; Shabnim Ismail 3-22, Ayabonga Khaka 3-29, Sune Luus 3-35)

Player of the match – Shabnim Ismail

Player of the series – Shabnim Ismail

Pakistan women’s T20I series against South Africa begins on Friday

Durban, 28 January 2021:

Pakistan women’s national cricket team will face South Africa in a three-match T20I series, which will be played at Durban’s Kingsmead Cricket Stadium from Friday. This will be the national side’s first international T20I format assignment since the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia last year.

Pakistan have played eight T20Is in South Africa to date and faced South Africa in six of them. The tourists have won two - all in the last tour in 2019 – and lost four.

Nida Dar was the leading run-getter (192 runs) and highest wicket-taker (five wickets) when Pakistan toured South Africa in 2019.

In the recently concluded three-match ODI series, the 34-year-old scored back-to-back half-centuries in the first two matches and finished as the third best batter with 124 runs.

Aliya Riaz topped the batting charts as she scored 136 runs – which included her career-best 81 in the second ODI. The all-rounder enjoys a healthy 71.50 batting average against South Africa in T20Is – the third best for the batters, who have scored more than 100 runs in the format against them.

Pakistan captain Javeria Khan says her side is well equipped to challenge the hosts in their conditions. “It is a new series and presents us an opportunity to bounce back on the tour,” she told PCB Digital. “We have some exciting cricketers in our ranks who can leave a mark and they are eager to make the most of this series.

“All-rounders Nida Dar and Aliya Riaz have been in good form and their ability to hit the ball hard and contribute with the ball in the crucial middle overs provide good balance to the side. Diana Baig, who is on her first tour of South Africa, turned out to be the most successful bowler in the ODI series, which is a good sign for us and the presence of Aiman Anwar provides depth to our pace bowling department.

“We have impressive spinners in Anam Amin, Nashra Sandhu and Sadia Iqbal and I have no doubts that these players will raise their hands when the situation demands from them.”

In the recently concluded ODI series, Pakistan lost to the hosts by the margins of three runs, 13 runs and 32 runs and Javeria is hopeful that her side will learn from the mistakes.

“We played good cricket in chunks but squandered opportunities to grab the game. We needed our batters to provide us solid starts, which was not the case, and we unfortunately also let go of crucial chances while fielding.

“Batting in South Africa can be difficult. That our batters have been exposed to these conditions and have played three matches at the venue where we will be playing the T20I series, I am hopeful they will respond to the demands of the matches in T20I series accordingly.”

Pakistan squad:

First T20I - Toss Update: Pakistan women have won the toss and elected to bat against South Africa

43760f61-238f-4465-a76a-7d433b61d15f.jpg

South Africa women defeated Pakistan women by eight wickets in the first T20I at Kingsmead Cricket Stadium on Friday and took 1-0 lead in the three-match series.

The home team chased down the 125-run target for the loss of two wickets in the 19th over. Opening batter Tazmin Brits top-scored with an unbeaten 52 off 54 balls, which included three boundaries.

For Pakistan women, Aimen Anwar took two wickets for 29 runs in four overs.

Earlier, Ayesha Naseem top-scored for Pakistan with 31 off 25 as the tourists managed 124 for eight after captain Aliya Riaz, who took over the responsibilities due to a right hand index finger injury to Javeria Khan, elected to bat.

The 16-year-old Abbottabad-born Ayesha hit two fours and struck a crucial 43-run partnership for the sixth-wicket with Nida Dar, who returned unbeaten on 15-ball 22 that included two fours.

Kainat Imtiaz, who last featured in a T20I in October 2019 in Lahore against Bangladesh, posted the second best score of the innings with a 23-ball 24 (two fours), while Muneeba Ali, batting at three, made a 26-ball 21.

All-rounder Marizanne Kapp was the pick of the bowlers with three for 24 in four overs. The 31-year-old right-arm pacer provided an early breakthrough to the hosts as she bowled Omaima Sohail (10 off 11) on her first ball, which was the first ball of the third over, and later sent back Nahida Khan (1) and Ayesha Naseem.

South Africa pacer Shabnim Ismail accounted for Ayesha Zafar (8) and Aliya (2).

Both teams will now meet at the same venue on 31 January for the second T20I match.

Scores in brief:

Pakistan Women 124-8, 20 overs (Ayesha Naseem 31, Kainat Imtiaz 24, Nida Dar 22 not out, Muneeba Ali 21; Marizanne Kapp 3-24, Shabnim Ismail 2-20)

South Africa Women 125-2, 19 overs (Tazmin Brits 52 not out, Marizanne Kapp 28; Aimen Anwar 2-29)

Player-of-the-match – Tazmin Brits

Last edited by a moderator:
South Africa Women took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match T20I series against Pakistan Women with an 18-run win in the second match played at the Kingsmead Durban on Sunday.

Set a 134-run target, Pakistan finished their 20 overs at 115 for seven. Pakistan’s chase got off to a poor start as the first four wickets fell with just 20 runs on the board in six overs. Pacer Shabnim Ismail was the star performer for South Africa in their bowling effort as she took five wickets for 12 runs in her four-over spell.

Ismail took the wickets of Ayesha Zafar, Muneeba Ali and Nida Dar in her opening spell and then added the scalps of captain Aliya Riaz and Ayesha Naseem to complete her five-wicket haul.

Pakistan had slumped to 48 for five in 12.2 overs, the chase was revived by Aliya and Ayesha Naseem, the pair added 65 runs for the sixth-wicket but their effort went in vain as the asking rate kept climbing with the target eventually going out of Pakistan’s reach.

Aliya top-scored with 39 off 40 balls (three fours, one six), Ayesha scored 33 off 22 balls with the help of two fours and a six.

Earlier, Pakistan restricted South Africa to 133 for five following Aliya’s decision to bowl first.

Pakistan bowled tight lines and denied the hosts scoring opportunities as 22 out of the 36 powerplay deliveries were dot balls. Anam Amin, the left-arm orthodox, bowled 12 of them as her three overs from the first six brought her one wicket – of Lizelle Lee, who made six off 12 – for just nine runs.

Pacer Diana Baig provided the support from the other end as her two overs allowed South Africa to get only eight runs. By the end of the powerplay, the hosts were 22 for one.

They, however, staged a fight back, thanks to Tazmin Brits, who scored her second consecutive half-century. Brits smashed eight fours and a six in her 58-ball 66, before she was dismissed on the first ball of the 20th over by Aimen Anwar (one for 23 in four overs).

It was the right-handed batter’s 35-run stand for the third-wicket with Laura Wolvarrdt (13 off 10) that set the stage for the hosts to take 90 runs off the last 10 overs, 49 of which were made in the last five.

Anam returned to deliver her final over – 17th of the innings – and induced a leading edge off Mignon du Preez after conceding 12 off the first four balls to finish off with two for 21.

Alike Aimen, Aliya and Nashra returned one for 23. While Aiman delivered four overs, Aliya bowled two and Nashra bowled three.

Scores in brief:

South Africa beat Pakistan by 18 runs

South Africa Women 133-5, 20 overs (Tazmin Brits 66; Anam Amin 2-21)

Pakistan Women 115-7, 20 overs (Aliya Riaz 39, Ayesha Naseem 33; Shabnim Ismail 5-12)

Player-of-the-match – Shabnim Ismail

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has congratulated the Momentum Proteas for winning their Twenty20 International Series against Pakistan.

The three-match sequence concluded on Wednesday with the visitors winning the final match by eight runs on the Duckworth/Lewis Method – their first win of the tour.

South Africa took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series after winning the first two matches by eight wickets and 18 runs respectively.

All the matches during the series were played at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium with both teams playing within a bio-secure environment (BSE) in Durban.

“CSA would like to congratulate the Momentum Proteas for yet another series win, commented CSA Director of Cricket Graeme Smith. “They once again displayed the quality they have by playing outstanding cricket throughout the T20 series.

“We saw some excellent performances from several players in the group and I would like to commend all of them for their efforts. A special mention must also be made of Shabnim Ismail, who became the first Protea - male or female - to reach 100 T20 International wickets.”

Hilton Moreeng’s charges also won the One-Day International leg of the tour with a 3-0 whitewash of the tourists.

“All in all we are very proud of head coach Hilton and his team,” Smith added. “The women’s game is continuing to make great strides and this is really exciting for all South Africans.

“Finally I must also thank the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for undertaking the trip to our country during these difficult times. As we have seen with Covid-19, the sporting landscape has changed dramatically and we feel honoured to have hosted them during an incident-free tour.”

DURBAN: Fit-again captain Javeria Khan recorded Pakistan’s first half-century of the tour as they ended their trip to South Africa with an eight-run Duckworth/Lewis Method victory over the Momentum Proteas after a rain-affected final Twenty20 International at Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on Wednesday.

The right-hander, who missed the first two games due to a finger injury, struck an unbeaten 56 off 50 balls (5 fours) to help her side post 127 for six after they lost the toss and were put in to bat first.

Kainat Imtiaz (29) also fired as the Asians posted their highest score of the series. South Africa’s reply did not go too well at the start, and even though they recovered to reach 68 for four, they were behind the run rate when the second rain disruption of the match occurred handing victory to their opponents.

Hilton Moreeng’s charges had already wrapped up the series with victory in the first two games and they headed into match three by giving some of their fringe players an opportunity.

The bowlers initially fired too with Nondumiso Shangase (3/20) and Tumi Sekhukhune (2/15) both returning career-best efforts, the former beating her two for none against India at Surat last year and the latter improving on her two for 27 versus West Indies at Tarouba in 2018/19.

Their early wickets left Pakistan in a fix on 66 for five in the 13th over, but Khan and Imtiaz lead a fine recovery with their 61-run sixth-wicket partnership that propelled their side to a 128 target.

Faye Tunnicliffe and Marizanne Kapp (both 1) then fell inside the first 14 deliveries to leave the South Africans in a fix on four for two.

Anneke Bosch (13) and Lara Goodall (11) tried to rebuild, but they too succumbed cheaply leaving the home side on 45 for four in the 10th over.

Mignon du Preez (24*) and Sune Luus (10*) then consolidated nicely to get the chase on track, but they could not beat the rain as Pakistan edged to a consolation win.

The Momentum Proteas squad: Sune Luus (capt), Laura Wolvaardt, Trisha Chetty, Mignon du Preez, Shabnim Ismail, Lizelle Lee, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Nadine de Klerk, Tumi Sekhukhune, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Lara Goodall, Nondumiso Shangase, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Faye Tunnicliffe, Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits.

Support Staff: Hilton Moreeng (Head Coach), Dillon du Preez (Assistant Coach), Sedibu Mohlaba (Team Manager), Tshegofatso Gaetsewe (Team Doctor), Abram Ramoadi (Performance Analyst), Dinesha Devnarain (Women’s High-Performance Coach), Molebatsi Theletsane (Physiotherapist), Zane Webster (Strength and Conditioning), Koketso Gaofetoge (Media Manager).

Full fixture list

ODI

20 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas beat Pakistan Women by 3 runs – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)
23 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas beat Pakistan Women by 13 runs – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)
26 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas beat Pakistan Women by 32 runs – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (10h00)

T20I

29 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas beat Pakistan Women by 8 wickets – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)
31 Jan 21 – Momentum Proteas beat Pakistan Women by 18 runs – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)
03 Feb 21 – Momentum Proteas lost to Pakistan Women by 8 runs (DLS) – Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium (15h30)

Pakistan women’s national cricket team’s preparations for all-important ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers – to be held later this year – will continue from Tuesday (today) when they take on Zimbabwe Women in the first of the three 50-over matches at the Harare Sports Club.

The contest will also mark the first instance of a Pakistan women’s side playing on Zimbabwe soil. The three one-day matches – to be played on 9, 12 and 14 February – will be followed by three T20Is, which will see the two sides come face to face for the first time in international cricket.

Pakistan enter the series on the back of a limited overs tour of South Africa, where they played three ODIs and three T20Is. In their first series in the post-Covid-19 era, the Javeria Khan-captained team produced some fine individual and collective performances despite finishing on the losing side in both series.

All-rounder Aliya Riaz ended the ODI series as the highest run-getter from both teams with 136 runs in three matches – which also included her career-best 81 – while right-arm pacer Diana Baig took nine wickets – including her best figures of four for 30 – on what was her first tour of the country.

They capped off the tour with an impressive win in the third and final T20I, thanks to Javeria, who scored a brilliant 56 not out on her return to the side after sustaining a finger injury which restricted her to the dugout in the first two T20Is.

Javeria says the team’s aim in this series is to build on the win in Durban and ingrain consistency and favourable results. While speaking to PCB Digital, she said: “This series is a great opportunity for the side to make the most of the victory in the final T20I and develop it into a habit.

“Everyone in the team is excited to be in Zimbabwe and to play six matches over the course of the next two weeks at the historic Harare Sports Club in a time when not many women’s matches are happening around the world.

“Zimbabwe are one of the 10 teams who will be present at the World Cup Qualifiers and playing them ahead of the all-important event gives us crucial match practice. At the same time, this series will help us provide opportunities to exciting young cricketers in the ranks in competitive matches and gauge how they react.”

The six matches will be live-streamed in Pakistan through Zimbabwe Cricket’s official YouTube channel and Facebook page. The one-days and T20Is will begin at 12pm and 1pm (Pakistan Standard Time), respectively.

Pakistan squad:

Fixtures (all matches at Harare Sports Club)

9 Feb – first 50-over matc

12 Feb – second 50-over match

14 Feb – third 50-over match

17 Feb – 1st T20I

19 Feb – 2nd T20I

20 Feb – 3rd T20I

Solid half-centuries by Pakistan captain Javeria Khan and all-rounder Aliya Riaz set a strong 178-run victory for Pakistan Women over Zimbabwe Women in the first 50-over match at the Harare Sports Club on Tuesday.

The two contributed a brilliant 157 for the fifth wicket that lifted them to 255 for six after the tourists were put into bat by Zimbabwe captain Mary-Anne Musonda.

Javeria and Aliya came together with the scorecard reading 82 for four after 18.3 overs after Nida Dar (15 off 12) was trapped in front of stumps by off-spinner Tasmeen Granger.

Pakistan lost both openers – Muneeba Ali (four off 10) and Ayesha Zafar (14 off 24) – inside the first powerplay and before Nida’s dismissal, Omaima Sohail (29 off 41) was run out in the 16th over.

Javeria top-scored in the match as she made 81 off 116 balls. Her 26th List ‘A’ half-century was studded with eight boundaries.

Aliya crunched six fours and smoked a six in her 87-ball 74. This was her fifth half-century.

Zimbabwe’s Nomvelo Sibanda took two wickets for 28 runs and was the pick of the bowlers for her side.

Pakistan bowlers dominated the second half of the match, denying any run scoring opportunities to the hosts.

The opening spells of Diana Baig and 19-year-old Fatima Sana brought three wickets for 36 runs as the two bowled seven overs for one for 16, including a maiden, and six overs for two for 16, respectively.

Nida’s impeccable further aggravated the situation for the hosts as her off-spin accounted for wicketkeeper-batter Modester Mupachikwa and Josephine Nkomo. She ended-up with match figures of two for nine runs in seven overs, which included three maiden overs.

Nashra Sandhu dismissed Pellagia Mujaji, the highest run-getter for Zimbabwe in the match with 16 off 40 balls – which left the hosts reeling at 44 for six by the completion of the 21st over.

The hosts were bowled out for 77 in the 35th over. Javeria for her match winning innings was named the best player-of-the-match.

Scores in brief

Pakistan Women beat Zimbabwe Women by 178 runs

Pakistan Women 255-6, 50 overs (Javeria Khan 81, Aliya Riaz 74, Omaima Sohail 29; Nomvelo Sibanda 2-28, Esther Mbofana 2-42)

Zimbabwe Women 77 all out, 34.1 overs (Pellagia Mujaji 16; Sadia Iqbal 2-8, Nida Dar 2-9, Fatima Sana 2-16)

Player-of-the-match – Javeria Khan

Pakistan Cricket Board and Zimbabwe Cricket have mutually agreed to end Pakistan women’s national cricket team’s ongoing tour to Harare due to the latest travel policies of the visiting side’s carrier – Emirates Airlines.

Pakistan won the opening 50-over match on 9 February and were due to play the second 50-over match on Friday with the final match of the tour on 20 February. The side was originally scheduled to depart on 21 February.

However, following Emirates Airlines’ announcement of their flight operations suspension on the Harare-Dubai sector from 13 to 28 February, both the boards have decided to end the tour after the first match with the Pakistan women’s national cricket team now scheduled to return to Pakistan on Friday, 12 February.

PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan: “It has been a difficult decision considering Zimbabwe Cricket had put in place excellent arrangements for the series. But the decision by the Emirates Airlines to suspend all flights to and from Harare from 13 February to 28 February has meant that we have to bring the squad back in the next 24 hours.

“We thank Zimbabwe Cricket for their understanding and support, and hope to return at some stage to complete this additional tour.”

Pakistan men’s national cricket team’s tour of Zimbabwe in April as part of the Future Tours Programme (FTP) for two Tests and three T20Is remains intact, though the PCB will continue to monitor the flight and Covid-19 situation. The side is scheduled to arrive in Bulawayo on 17 April.

From PCB release:

The BoG also noted with satisfaction plans put in place to prepare sides for this year’s ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier in New Zealand and next year’s ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup in the West Indies. The Pakistan U19 camp concluded yesterday in Lahore following the postponement of Bangladesh tour due to the rise in Covid-19 cases, a couple of women’s international tours in the build up to the qualifiers are being discussed and finalised that will contribute further in the side’s preparations for the 10-team qualifier in New Zealand. The women’s side is presently in Karachi for a high performance camp.

Pakistan Women's team qualifies for the T20 tournament at the Commonwealth Games (2022)

Wonder which team we will be allowed to send as we have qualified for these games

==

CRICKET FIRST SPORT TO ANNOUNCE QUALIFIERS FOR COMMONWEALTH GAMES

Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, and a country from the West Indies join England in qualifying for Birmingham 2022; Qualifier to determine the final participant

Cricket is the first discipline to announce qualifying teams for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games as the sport makes a landmark re-entry to the prestigious multi-sport event scheduled from 28 July to 8 August next year.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) made the announcement on Monday as women’s cricket features in the Games for the first time in 22 editions and cricket for only the second time ever, the first occasion being a men’s ODI competition in Kuala Lumpur in 1998, which was won by South Africa.

The six qualifiers who join home team England in the eight-team Twenty20 competition are Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, and a country from the West Indies. They have secured qualification as a result of their standings in the MRF Tyres ICC Women’s T20I Team Rankings on 1 April 2021.

As per the qualification process, the winner of a designated Qualifying event will determine which country from the Caribbean region gets to participate as athletes will be representing their individual countries and not the West Indies as they would at ICC events.

The last participating team will be decided through a Qualifying tournament to be held by 31 January 2022, details of which will be announced in due course.

The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games will see 4,500 athletes from 72 nations and territories compete across 11 spectacular days of sport. Birmingham 2022 will be the first major multi-sport event in history to award more medals to women than men.

The Commonwealth Games cricket tournament will take place at the iconic Edgbaston Stadium, with tickets set to go on sale later this year.

ICC Acting Chief Executive Geoff Allardice: “We are incredibly proud and excited to be part of Birmingham 2022 and it is a fantastic opportunity for us to continue to grow the women’s game globally.

“We are committed to maintaining the momentum that saw 86,174 fans packed into the Melbourne Cricket Ground for the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup last year and Birmingham 2022 gives us another global stage on which to showcase the women’s game.

“On behalf of the ICC and its Members, I thank the Commonwealth Games Federation for their support and look forward to seeing some superb cricket at Edgbaston.”

Commonwealth Games Federation President Dame Louise Martin: “It is an exciting milestone to be announcing the first teams to qualify for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. Cricket is a sport that is synonymous with the Commonwealth and we are so excited to have it back in the Games for the first time since the men’s competition at Kuala Lumpur 1998.

“The debut of women’s T20 cricket will be a historic moment for Commonwealth Sport and a wonderful showcase for women’s sport across the world. Congratulations to the teams that have now booked their spot to compete at the iconic Edgbaston Stadium for what I am certain will be an unforgettable tournament.”

England captain Heather Knight: “We’re really excited about hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2022 and it offers a big opportunity for women’s cricket, both in England and Wales and around the world.

“With direct entry into the competition confirmed, we’re one step closer to being on the pitch in Birmingham, and the prospect of potentially winning a medal is something that will be at the back of our minds across the next 12 months.

“It’s going to be a fantastic competition, a real chance to showcase the women’s game to a huge audience and it’s one we’re thrilled to be taking part in.”

India captain Harmanpreet Kaur: “It’s great to be confirmed a place in the Commonwealth Games. We are raring to go, confident of doing well after having made the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia last year.

“It is an awesome opportunity for both the women’s game and cricket to make a mark at the prestigious multi-discipline Games and we hope to return with loads of good memories.”

South Africa captain Sune Luus: “Participating in the Commonwealth Games will be an awesome experience for the teams and a tremendous opportunity to take cricket to new audiences.

“We have been constantly improving as a side and will go into the event hoping to emulate our men’s team, which won gold the only previous time cricket featured in the Games.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia’s qualification for Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games confirmed

The Australian Women’s Team is set to compete in Birmingham next year following Commonwealth Games Australia’s acceptance, with the agreement of Cricket Australia, of the qualification place from the Commonwealth Games Federation.

Women’s T20 cricket will make its debut at the Commonwealth Games with Australia automatically qualifying due to their No. 1 world ranking as at April 1, 2021.

The cricket program begins on July 29, 2022 and concludes with the gold medal match at Edgbaston on August 7, 2022.

Meg Lanning, Australia’s captain, said the team were excited to compete for gold in Birmingham.

“Representing Australia at the Commonwealth Games will be an incredible experience and the team can’t wait to take the field in Birmingham next year,” Lanning said.

“It was already shaping up as a huge year with a home Ashes and a World Cup in New Zealand, and a Commonwealth Games takes it to another level.

“The ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in 2020 showed the world just how entertaining and competitive women’s 20-over cricket is and the Commonwealth Games will be another opportunity for teams to showcase their talent and determination in front of a global audience.”

The six qualifiers who will join home team England in the eight-team competition are Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa and a country from the West Indies who have all qualified as a result of their standings in the ICC Women’s T20I Team Rankings as of 1 April 2021.

As per the qualification process, the winner of a designated Qualifying event will determine which country from the Caribbean region gets to participate as athletes will be representing their individual countries and not the West Indies as they would at ICC events.

The remaining place will be allocated to the winner of a Qualifying tournament on January 31, 2022.

Australian team Chef de Mission Petria Thomas said it was exciting to begin the team qualification announcements with the world’s number one, in an event that will make its Commonwealth Games debut.

“Confirmation of Australia’s qualification for the inaugural women’s T20 cricket tournament at the Commonwealth Games is an important milestone in the countdown to the Birmingham Games,” Thomas said.

“This is our first qualified team and we couldn’t be more excited that it’s in an event which will make its Commonwealth Games debut.

“We know our all-conquering women’s cricketers have a massive year in 2022 – Ashes, World Cup and Commonwealth Games – so it’s truly a bumper year of sport for them.”

Cricket has featured once before at the Commonwealth Games, albeit in the 50-over format. On that occasion, Australia claimed the silver medal at Kuala Lumpur in 1998 under the captaincy of Steve Waugh.

Last edited:
PCB delighted at women team’s qualification for Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

• Wasim Khan: “Commonwealth Games will provide a once in a lifetime opportunity to our players to interact and learn from professional athletes from other sports during their time in the athletes’ village”

• Nida Dar: “We play this great game to represent our country at the highest platform and in women’s cricket, there is no bigger stage than the multi-sport Commonwealth Games in which we can show our prowess and talent”

Lahore, 26 April 2021:

Pakistan Cricket Board has congratulated the Pakistan national women’s team on their direct qualification for the eight-team T20 event in the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, which will be held from 28 July to 8 August.

This is the first time women’s cricket event has been included in the Commonwealth Games and Pakistan is one of the seven sides, which has qualified directly. England, being the host nation, have progressed automatically, while the other six sides, as per their T20I rankings, are: Australia, India, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies and Pakistan.

Since athletes from the Caribbean will be representing their countries and not the West Indies (as they are affiliated with the ICC), the winner of a designated qualifying tournament will decide which country gets to compete. The eighth side – winner of the qualifying tournament, will qualify for the Birmingham event from the Commonwealth Games Qualifier, deadline of which is 31 January 2022.

Pakistan women’s cricket team previously featured in two Asian Games, winning gold in Guangzhou, China, in 2010 and in Incheon, South Korea, in 2014.

PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan: “The Commonwealth Games provide Pakistan women’s cricketers with the opportunity to play against the best, in front of a global audience. This will not only give our national team a worldwide recognition but it will also enable us to use this profile and exposure to inspire and attract more young girls to take up the game in Pakistan.

“Besides enhancing the profile of our women cricketers, Commonwealth Games will provide a once in a lifetime opportunity to our players to interact and learn from professional athletes from other sports during their time in the athletes’ village.

“The PCB will now work with its women’s cricket team management and put together a robust training and practice schedule so that our girls are best prepared when they enter the Birmingham event in 15 months’ time.

“I want to compliment the ICC and its ICC Women’s Committee for aggressively and proactively working on the inclusion of women’s T20 in the Commonwealth Games. I also want to thank the Commonwealth Games Association of Pakistan for supporting the inclusion of the Pakistan women’s side’s by accepting the invitation from the event organisers.”

Pakistan all-rounder Nida Dar, who won gold in Guangzhou and Incheon: “I am super excited about this opportunity. We play this great game to represent our country at the highest platform and in women’s cricket, there is no bigger stage than the multi-sport Commonwealth Games in which we can show our prowess and talent.

“I can’t wait to get to Birmingham to demonstrate to the world what we are capable of in one of the most competitive, demanding and skilful sports. Obviously, there is another incentive of meeting my favourite players and athletes from around the world besides top cricketers from other sides, which further increases my excitement.

“Women’s cricket has been one of the most affected sports in the post Covid-19 era. It is appropriate that women’s cricket bounces back strongly in 2022 with two big and high-quality events – the 50-over ICC Women’s World Cup in New Zealand and the T20 event in the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

Would be amazing if the womens can get a medal in this event but will be very very hard for them i wish them luck and hope for good result

PCB to begin search for Head of Women’s Cricket

Lahore, 19 May 2021:

The Pakistan Cricket Board announced today that it will advertise the post of the Head of Women’s Cricket on Thursday.

The person who qualifies for the post after undergoing a robust recruitment process will be primarily responsible for the short-term and long-term planning for the growth of women’s cricket, ranging from grassroots to top-level, implementation of the strategy to develop an effective domestic structure at the Cricket Association, City Cricket Association and club level.

The role also requires the person to provide guidance in the scheduling and execution of international fixtures of women’s sides across different levels.

Urooj Mumtaz previously held the position since September 2019 as an additional charge along with her national women’s chief selector duties.

Urooj Mumtaz: “It has been an absolute pleasure to serve as an interim head of women’s cricket. Being a former player and captain of the national women’s team, I am extremely passionate about the women’s game and have served the role with utmost dedication with an aim to positively impact and drive a change in women’s cricket in the country.

“Overall, Pakistan women’s cricket has made significant strides in the right direction and I look forward to work in unison with the upcoming head of women’s cricket, in my role as a chief selector, to further enhance and uplift the sport. I will continue to inspire and encourage more sport participation, whereby increasing our player pool and providing opportunities at the international and domestic level to deserving cricketers.”

Twenty-six cricketers have been invited for a Women High Performance Camp in Multan, the Pakistan Cricket Board announced today.

The 25-day camp will begin on 29 May during which they will undergo skills and fitness training at the Inzamam-ul-Haq High Performance Centre and will play as many as seven practice matches.

This camp is another step in the board’s efforts to provide quality facilities to the national women’s team to continue their preparation for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers later this year and the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in early 2022.

The camp will be held in a bio-secure environment. The players and support staff will undergo pre-arrival Covid-19 tests today. Those testing negative will assemble at the National High Performance Centre in Lahore for their departure to Multan via road.

The players and support staff will be tested on their arrival in Multan and will undergo isolation.

Those who test negative will commence training in groups from 31 May. The groups will be allowed to train together as a unit subject to testing negative for the third time in the 4 June test.

The camp will conclude on June 22.

National Women’s Chief Selector Urooj Mumtaz: “The Pakistan Cricket Board continues to invest in the women’s game and has provided the desired platform to our elite women cricketers to continue their preparations in a competitive environment for the upcoming ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier and the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup next year.

“Our players enter this camp on the back of an intense training camp in Karachi that concluded earlier this month. During the camp, they were pushed to their limits for improvement in all facets of the game. The group remains focused and is eager to continue to train with the same intensity and making the most of this opportunity, as we collectively aim to become strong contenders on the world stage.”

Players invited for the camp:

Aliya Riaz, Aiman Anwar, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Iram Javed, Javeria Khan, Jaweria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Kaynat Hafeez, Maham Tariq, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Nahida Khan, Najiha Alvi, Nashra Sundhu, Natalia Parvaiz, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Rameen Shamim, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz and Syeda Aroob Shah

The Women’s High Performance Camp has been moved to Karachi’s Hanif Mohammad High Performance Centre from Multan. The camp was in progress in Multan since 29 May, while the Karachi camp will start on Wednesday, 9 June.

After spending the last week at the Inzamam-ul-Haq High Performance Centre, the players will spend 18 days in Karachi as part of the originally designed 25-day camp, which is scheduled to conclude on 22 June. The team will based in a local hotel during their stay.

The pitches and the two grounds at the Hanif Mohammad High Performance Centre, which were undergoing maintenance work, are now ready to host the women players as part of their preparations for the upcoming international assignments, including the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers later this year and the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in early 2022.

Like the Multan camp, the camp will be held in a bio-secure environment. The camp participants including the coaching staff and management will travel to Lahore on Tuesday morning, before taking a later afternoon flight to Karachi to be in the metropolitan city in time for Wednesday’s resumption.

Women’s national cricket team head coach David Hemp: “We had a very good outing in Multan in terms of the players and staff coming together and understanding the training plans. We were given some excellent facilities and accommodation which greatly helped in the last one week.

“The idea was always to move to Karachi once the pitches and grounds were ready for us at the Hanif Mohammad High Performance Centre. The conditions in Karachi are always good for cricket, we will get some game time too which will be hugely beneficial for the girls besides the opportunity of working on their skills.

“We have some important assignments coming-up hence we want to have the girls fully prepared for the challenges with their fitness levels at their best. A lot of skill work was done in the earlier camp as well as in Multan and we will proceed with the same plans in Karachi.”

Players participating in the camp:
Aliya Riaz, Aiman Anwar, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Iram Javed, Javeria Khan, Jaweria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Kaynat Hafeez, Maham Tariq, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Nahida Khan, Najiha Alvi, Nashra Sundhu, Natalia Parvaiz, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Rameen Shamim, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz and Syeda Aroob Shah

Pakistan Cricket Board today announced its women’s national and ‘A’ teams will tour the West Indies for a series of white-ball matches. The touring party will depart for Antigua, where all matches will be played, from Lahore on 23 June. The national side will play the West Indies in three T20Is and five One-Day Internationals, while the two countries’ ‘A’ sides will compete in three T20s and as many one-day matches.

This is the national women’s team third international tour in the last four months after they played three ODIs and as many T20Is against South Africa in Durban before traveling north to Harare to play Zimbabwe, a tour that was cut short due to flights restrictions.

Despite travel-related limitations around the world due of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the PCB has continued to arrange the tours to provide its national women’s team competitive cricket to prepare for this year’s ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier, followed by next year’s ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup and the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

Pakistan and West Indies are ranked seventh and sixth in the ICC Women’s Team Rankings for ODI and T20I, respectively. Prior to this tour, the national women’s team has played three ODI series, two T20I series and featured in two ICC Women’s T20 World Cups in 2010 and 2018 in the Caribbean.

The last time these two sides faced off in bilateral series was in early 2019. Pakistan came back from behind in the United Arab Emirates to win the three ODIs 2-1 and the T20I series, played in Karachi, was won by West Indies 2-1, with the second match of the series going down the wire and the touring party winning it in the Super Over.

The two teams last met in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 and the group-stage match was won by Pakistan as they comfortably chased down 125 with eight wickets and 10 balls spare.

That the ‘A’ side will travel to Antigua with the national side – the first instance of the two teams traveling together – provides further boost to the women’s game in the country. The players who have remained on the fringes of the national side will have an opportunity to impress the national selectors and the high-profile coaching staff ahead of the important global events.

This will also be the first tour that the ‘A’ side will undertake in the post-Covid-19 world. They last travelled to Sri Lanka in October 2019 for the ACC Emerging Women’s Asia Cup.

PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan: “We are glad to announce that our senior and ‘A’ women teams will be traveling to the West Indies for competitive series in a year in which they have to feature in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers.

“This tour presents a great opportunity to our players to further strengthen their skills by getting the desired match practice – against a quality side – under their belts and utilise it for their preparations for the World Cup qualifiers and the main event early next year that will be followed by the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

“Developing our women cricketers and providing them the required opportunities to develop themselves into world-class athletes is one of the key strategic objectives of the PCB, which we announced last year.

“Our players have put in hard yards in the recent High Performance camps in Karachi and Multan and I am hopeful that they will deliver favourable results under the able guidance of head coach David Hemp.”

The touring contingent will arrive in Lahore on Monday from where they will depart for Antigua.

Tour itinerary:

23 June – Departure for Antigua
24-27 June – Room Quarantine
28-29 June – Practice
30 June – 1st T20I between national sides and 1st T20 between ‘A’ teams at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
2 July – 2nd T20I between national sides and 2nd T20 between ‘A’ teams at Coolidge Cricket Ground
4 July – 3rd T20I between national sides and 3rd T20 between ‘A’ teams at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
7 July – 1st ODI between national sides at Coolidge Cricket Ground
9 July – 2nd ODI between national sides at Coolidge Cricket Ground
10 July – 1st one-day between ‘A’ sides at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
12 July – 3rd ODI between national sides at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
13 July – 2nd one-day between ‘A’ sides at Coolidge Cricket Ground
15 July – 4th ODI between national sides at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
16 July – 3rd one-day between ‘A’ sides at Coolidge Cricket Ground
18 July – 5th ODI between national sides at Coolidge Cricket Ground
19 July – Departure for Pakistan

ST JOHN’S, Antigua - Cricket West Indies (CWI) today announced an eight match white-ball series between the West Indies Women and Pakistan Women and a historic six match white-ball series between the West Indies Women A Team and Pakistan Women A Team, with both series taking place in Antigua from June 30 to July 18. The Tour will see the return of Women’s international cricket to the Caribbean for the first time in nineteen months due to the impact of COVID-19.

Pakistan will arrive in the Caribbean on June 23 ahead of the T20 International (T20I) Series, which starts on June 30. The T20Is and T20 A Team matches will be played on the same day and at the same venues as “double-headers”. The teams will then switch gears as they head into a five-match CG Insurance One Day International (ODI) Series and three-match CG Insurance A Team One-Day Series starting on July 7 and 10 respectively. All matches will take place at the two ICC accredited grounds in Antigua, the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium and the Coolidge Cricket Ground. The ODI series will be vital preparation for both teams as they will face each other in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers that are due to take place in Sri Lanka in December for one of the three remaining qualifying spots for the Cricket World Cup in New Zealand, 2022.

CWI’s investment in Women’s cricket is one of eight key initiatives within CWI’s strategic plan, designed to develop the next generation of women cricketers, increase participation in the sport and generate additional opportunities for competition at the highest level.

CWI’s Director of Cricket Jimmy Adams said: “This is a very significant home tour for our women and we are delighted that our counterparts at the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) have worked with us to arrange these two series despite all the challenges we face with COVID-19. CWI continues to invest in our international Women’ program by hosting extended High-Performance camps between tours, two of which have already been held this year. In addition, the opportunity to host our first ever ‘A” Team Series is brilliant, as it means that our developing players will get the chance to compete against high-quality international opponents and push for selection to the senior team. The series is also an important part of our preparation for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers in December. Our goal post this Pakistan series, is to have our squad play against more international opposition and take part in our Regional Tournament before heading to the Qualifiers in Sri Lanka at the end of the year.”

The West Indies Women last played in the Caribbean in a bilateral series against India in November 2019, following which all home cricket was postponed in 2020 due to the impact of Covid-19. The West Indies Women last played on the Sandals West Indies Women’s Tour to England in September 2020 in a five-match T20I Series.

The national women’s selection committee today announced a 26-player squad from which the national and ‘A’ teams will be selected for white-ball matches on the tour of the West Indies.

Javeria Khan, who has an experience of 208 international matches and is the leading run-getter for Pakistan in ODIs, will lead the national side. Rameen Shamim, who has played two ODIs and four T20Is, will captain Pakistan Women’s ‘A’ in the three one-dayers and wicketkeeper Sidra Nawaz, with the experience of 98 internationals, will lead the ‘A’ side in the three T20s.

Pakistan squad for the tour:

Javeria Khan (captain, national team), Rameen Shamim (One-Day captain, ‘A’ team), Sidra Nawaz (T20 captain, A team), Aliya Riaz, Aiman Anwar, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Iram Javed, Jaweria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Kaynat Hafeez, Maham Tariq, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui (wk), Nahida Khan, Najiha Alvi (wk), Nashra Sundhu, Natalia Parvaiz, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Amin, and Syeda Aroob Shah

The Pakistan national women’s team will play West Indies in three T20Is and five ODIs and the ‘A’ side will take on their counterparts in three one-day matches and three T20s. All 26 players will be available for selection for 14 matches.

Urooj Mumtaz, the chairperson of national women’s selection committee, said: “This is an historic occasion in the history of Pakistan women’s cricket as for the first time national side and the ‘A’ team are traveling together.

“The Caribbean tour presents a phenomenal opportunity to our core group of cricketers to showcase their performances and further cement places for the 2021-22 season, which promises to be an exciting one for women’s cricket.

“These 26 players have been involved in all our high performance camps over the past nine months and have put in the hard yards under the national coaching staff led by David Hemp. The group has prepared with high intensity and purpose. They remain focused and determined to put up winning performances.

“The ‘A’ team matches are a great incentive and motivation for the players at the periphery to stake a claim in the national side, as exceptional performances will be rewarded by players getting bumped up to the national side and those who are unable to perform at the top can continue to get competitive matches in the ‘A’ side.

“Our last bilateral series with the West Indies produced quality competitive cricket. The closely fought T20I series was witnessed by a passionate crowd of young girls in Karachi. We then went on to record a historic 2-1 ODI series win with an extraordinary fight to comeback from behind. I am hopeful that there will be quality cricket on display as we aim to further improve our world standing and continue to push to become top contenders on the world stage.”

The 26-player contingent, the coaching staff and the team officials, arrived in Lahore in morning today. They will depart for Antigua via London in the wee hours of Wednesday, 23 June.

The touring contingent will undergo pre-departure Covid-19 tests by Monday afternoon and those testing negative will board the plane. Upon their arrival in Antigua, the players and officials will be tested twice in five days, during which they will be under room isolation.

Team management: Aisha Jalil and Fizza Abid (managers), David Hemp (head coach), Arshad Khan (bowling coach), Kamran Hussain and Waqar Orakzai (assistant coaches), Drikus Saaiman (strength and conditioning coach), Zubair Ahmed (analyst), Rabia Siddiq and Saima Naseem (physiotherapists), and Ahsan Iftikhar Nagi (media manager)

Tour itinerary:

23 June – Departure for Antigua
24-27 June – Room Quarantine
28-29 June – Practice
30 June – 1st T20I between national sides and 1st T20 between ‘A’ teams at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
2 July – 2nd T20I between national sides and 2nd T20 between ‘A’ teams at Coolidge Cricket Ground
4 July – 3rd T20I between national sides and 3rd T20 between ‘A’ teams at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
19 July – Departure for Pakistan

Correction:

Sidra Nawaz to lead national women's A cricket team in T20 series *

ST. JOHN'S, Antigua – The Cricket West Indies (CWI) Women’s Selection Panel has named the West Indies Women’s Senior and ‘A’ Team squads for the T20 International (T20I) Series against Pakistan Women.

The West Indies Women’s Senior team will play three CG Insurance T20Is against Pakistan Women from June 30 to July 3, with the West Indies Women’s ‘A’ Team also playing their historic, first ever three-match T20I Series on the same dates. Antigua’s Coolidge Cricket Ground and Sir Vivian Richards Stadium will host the Series with the ‘A’ Team matches preceding the Senior team matches in back-to-back “double header” fixtures.

Lead Selector for Women’s cricket, Ann Browne-John said, “This series against Pakistan has come at an opportune time because the West Indies players have not been able to face international opponents since September 2020. It’s exciting that not only will the senior team be in action, but for the very first time a West Indies ‘A’ Team will have the opportunity to compete against international opposition.”

Mrs. Browne-John added: “As we prepare for the upcoming five CG Insurance ODI match series, these three T20Is will enable the senior team to ease themselves back into the international arena. The ‘A’ team matches are an excellent chance for some of the younger players who have not been able to find a place in the senior team to show their skills.”

The CG Insurance T20I and One Day International (ODI) series will allow for all 28 players to be eligible for selection on both teams. Stafanie Taylor, one of the greatest allrounders of all-time, will again captain the senior team while Reniece Boyce, the experienced wicket-keeper/batter, has been named to lead the ‘A’ Team. The two young players from the Windward Islands - 16-year-old left-arm medium pacer, Zaida James and 17-year-old right-arm medium-pacer, Jannillea Glasgow - both called up for the first time to the West Indies Women’s training squad, have now been selected in the ‘A’ team squad after impressing during the pre-series camp.

The West Indies Women’s teams return to the field in the Caribbean after a 19-month absence due to the impact and effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The West Indies Women last played an international match against England in September 2020.

West Indies women’s team head coach Courtney Walsh will be using the upcoming home series against Pakistan to remove any residual rust and to see how far his players have come since their previous international outing in England nine months ago.

Walsh, speaking to the media during a Zoom call yesterday, said the team was building up to the World Cup qualifiers and the series against Pakistan will provide them with an opportunity to test their progress and a chance to regain some confidence and start building some momentum.

He insisted that while winning is important, his team will be aiming to play a brand of cricket that the Caribbean fans will be proud to associate with.

“We want to play good cricket and a West Indies brand of cricket,” stated Walsh.

“The thought process is that we want to go out there and win as many games as possible. We want to play a brand of cricket that the Caribbean people will be proud of and give the selectors a headache when it is time to pick the team. That is what I am asking them to do. To make sure when it is time for selection, they are competing well and if that happens it means we will be in a healthy position,” he explained.

High-performance camps

Walsh also noted that while the players’ confidence may not be at its highest right now, he believes the high-performance camps have helped to get them back on track.

“Obviously not playing enough cricket is going to take away some of the confidence because if you are not playing, you are not sure how you are going to perform,” said Walsh.

“But I think the camp has helped us to come together. We had some good practice sessions and practice matches, so it gives you a feel of things, so it is not going to (be) as rusty as before. But everybody knows the main test is when you are in the middle and when you are competing. Pakistan is not a walkover team; no team in international cricket is. So it is going to be a good test for us,” he added.

Asked what he hoped to get out of the series, the West Indies head coach said: “I am looking for all-round performances and improvement in all departments. It has been a while since the England tour which was played last September, and we have had two camps since then and we sort of put some stuff together.

“We want to see how well we have improved in terms of getting ready for international cricket again. Obviously, there will be a bit of rust, but we will try to get rid of that as early as possible and try to improve in all departments...The batting might not have been up to par but I think the all-round cricket has not been up to par as far as we are concerned and we are very happy with the opportunity to have so much cricket being played with the “A” team also on show,” he continued.

“We want to win the series but that is not the be all and end all. A level of consistency in performance and improvement in all departments is what I will be using as my yardstick. Winning is contagious and you want to get that momentum and boost confidence, but we will be looking at performance at some of the targets we might have set and the approach to the game. Game awareness has to come into play as well. Yes, we want to win but it is not the end of it. For me it is the consistency of performance and the brand of cricket we want to play and how we approach to get that done in the build-up looking down the road to the World Cup qualifiers coming up,” Walsh concluded.

West Indies will face Pakistan in three T20Is and five ODIs in Antigua while the “A” team will play Pakistan A in three T20s and three One-Day games.

https://trinidadexpress.com/sports/...cle_95bc5826-d6d9-11eb-9880-db5ba038ef63.html

Anam Amin made her debut for Pakistan in T20Is in 2014 and since has been a regular feature in the national side because of her exploits with the ball.

Her ability to deliver results with the new ball by making inroads early on make her a potent weapon for any captain and when Pakistan begin their tour with the first of the three T20Is at the picturesque Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Javeria Khan will be hoping that the left-arm orthodox rises to the occasion.

Anam has been Pakistan’s most successful bowler against the West Indies – taking 13 wickets at a phenomenal 10.53 runs per dismissal. Her strike rate of 12.4 is the best she has against any opposition.

Her best bowling figures in T20Is have also been against West Indies when she took four wickets for 16 runs at Chennai in an ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2016 fixture. Such was her brilliance with the ball that despite her team losing the contest, Anam was awarded the player of the match award.

While captains at both international and domestic levels have relied heavily to deliver the results, the 28-year-old becomes even more threatening when her side is defending a total.

In the matches Pakistan have successfully defended scores, Anam has taken 19 wickets at 11.57, has struck every 17th ball and given only 4.07 runs an over. These numbers are more than eight runs, five balls and 1.33 runs better, respectively, compared to her overall T20I career.

Anam re-entered the top-ten of the ICC Women’s T20I Player Rankings following the South Africa T20I series in which she took four wickets at 16.50 and was the leading wicket-taker from her side. The 28-year-old is looking forward to taking on the West Indies.

“My strength is bowling dots upfront,” Anam, who is 9th in the ICC Women’s T20I Player Rankings, told pcb.com.pk. “The key is bowling with accuracy and keep the batter guessing. The new ball turns and skids so there is a lot of reward for hitting the right lines and lengths. I make sure that I continue to target my areas on the pitch and mix up my spells with variations here and there to make sure that the batter does not settle.”

The two sides last met in ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 in Australia in what was Pakistan’s tournament opener. The national side won that contest comfortably thanks to a team effort which saw the bowlers restrict West Indies to 124 for seven and chase it down with ease with eight wickets and 10 balls spare.

Anam, brought into the attack to deliver her final over, provided the crucial breakthrough with the wicket of wicketkeeper-batter Shemaine Campbelle on the first ball. That lbw put an end to a 63-run partnership between the top scorers of the match Stafanie Taylor, the West Indies skipper, and Campbelle and sparked a middle-order collapse which reduced the opposition from 91 for three to 123 for seven.

She is now looking forward to playing West Indies again and hopes that she will be able to live up to the expectations of her teammates and fans.

“West Indies are a quality international side and playing against them is always challenging. I have always enjoyed the challenge that that opposition brings and I am looking forward to making an impression in the West Indies. This will be the first time our team will play in Antigua and this brings me an opportunity to leave a mark there.

“This tour will play a crucial role in our preparations for three major events – ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifiers, ICC Women’s World Cup and Commonwealth Games 2020 – in which we have to participate in the next year.

“I have been working on my skills under Arshad Khan and his mentorship has certainly helped me better my skills. It is indeed a great pleasure to have a Test cricketer as a coach. I am really excited to go out there and perform for my team.”

Pakistan squad for the tour:

Javeria Khan (captain, national team), Rameen Shamim (One-Day captain, ‘A’ team), Sidra Nawaz (T20 captain, A team), Aliya Riaz, Aiman Anwar, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Ayesha Zafar, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Iram Javed, Jaweria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Kaynat Hafeez, Maham Tariq, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui (wk), Nahida Khan, Najiha Alvi (wk), Nashra Sundhu, Natalia Parvaiz, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal, Sidra Amin, and Syeda Aroob Shah

Matches schedule:

In its bid to continue to reward and incentivise top-performing women cricketers, the Pakistan Cricket Board added three more spots in the central contracts for women cricketers for the 2021-22 season. These contracts, which come into effect from 1 July, include 12 spots, divided between A, B and C categories, while eight cricketers have been retained in the emerging contracts list.

In total, the PCB has awarded 20 contracts for the 2021-22 cricket season, which is two more than the previous.

Monthly retainers across all rungs – including the emerging category – have been increased by 10 per cent and the national women’s selection committee has kept one spot open in the central contracts that will be awarded in the year based on on-field performance.

Central contracts for women’s cricketers for 2021-22 season:

Category A – Bismah Maroof and Javeria Khan
Category B – Aliya Riaz, Diana Baig and Nida Dar
Category C – Anam Amin, Fatima Sana, Kainat Imtiaz, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Omaima Sohail and Sidra Nawaz

Emerging contracts for women’s cricketers for 2021-22 season: Ayesha Naseem, Kaynat Hafeez, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Najiha Alvi, Rameen Shamim, Saba Nazir, Sadia Iqbal and Syeda Aroob Shah

The central contracts have been awarded after factoring in the on-field performances in the past one year at both international and domestic level, and with an eye on the future engagements. The national women’s team host England for two T20Is and three ODIs in October, before they play ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier in December and feature in ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup and Commonwealth Games next year.

The national women’s side returned to action in January 2021 with the tour of South Africa for three ODIs and three T20Is after the Covid-19 pandemic had put a halt on the game around the world. They then played a 50-over fixture against Zimbabwe at Harare before the tour had to be cut-short because of the national team’s carrier’s decision to halt its flight operations in the region.

The 2020-21 season also saw the PCB organise National Triangular T20 Women's Cricket Championship, a three-team competition, played at Pindi Cricket Stadium, Rawalpindi from 22 November till 1 December.

All-rounder Nida Dar – who is the only batter to hit two half-centuries and is the second highest run-getter in the three ODIs Pakistan played against South Africa– has been promoted to category B from C.

Fatima Sana, the recipient of PCB Women’s Emerging Cricketer of the Year Award last year, has been bumped up from the emerging list to category C of the central contracts. The 19-year-old emerged into a regular feature in Pakistan’s ODI line-up and played all three matches against South Africa in Durban earlier in the year.

She had an impressive outing in the domestic T20 competition as the right-arm pacer took four wickets in three matches at 21.25 run per dismissal and remained unbeaten in three innings as she accumulated 95 runs with her highest score being 41 not out.

Kainat Imtiaz, who was the player of the tournament for scoring 111 runs at the average of 111 in four innings and taking three wickets, has also been given a category C contract. The 29-year-old remained the top run-getter in T20Is for Pakistan as she scored 79 runs at 26.33 and a strike-rate of over run-a-ball (101.28).

Left-arm orthodox Nashra Sandhu has also been handed a category C contract after she finished the season as Pakistan’s second best ODI bowler with six scalps – behind Diana Baig’s nine wickets in three innings – at an average of 16.66 and economy rate of 3.44.

Javeria Khan, who captained Pakistan in Africa and will continue leading the national side in the three T20Is and five ODIs against West Indies in Antigua, is retained in the top category. She is joined by Bismah Maroof, who is on a maternity leave as per the recently announced PCB’s Parental Support Policy

All eight cricketers who received emerging contracts last year have been retained in the category.

Meanwhile, wicketkeeper Sidra Nawaz has been demoted to category C from B.

Urooj Mumtaz, the chair of the national women’s selection committee, said: “I want to take this opportunity to congratulate all the players who have received central contracts for the 2021-22 season. The Pakistan Cricket Board has increased the list of central contracts from nine to 12 as it continues to value and reward the best performers on the circuit.

“The emerging category retains eight players after Fatima Sana, who has shown some outstanding on-field performances and promise, has been awarded category C contract. Over the next year, the PCB, in total, will contract 20 women cricketers, which is an increase of two from the 2020-21 season.

“To ensure that the players who have not earned central contracts stay motivated, we have announced an open spot in the central contracts to be awarded to one player for outstanding performances during the year. I am sure this will act as an incentive for the players, who are gearing up for what promises to be an exciting series against West Indies in Antigua.

“The last year has been an extremely challenging one owing to the Covid-19 pandemic, despite that, the PCB continued to significantly invest in the women’s game and organised international and domestic cricket for the women cricketers, with the tours of South Africa and Zimbabwe and a domestic T20 competition. The board also invested in three high performance camps over the 2020-21 season, which also included one camp for 27 emerging players.

“Though the sample size of the on-field performances is small due to the limited number of matches, we, while awarding the contracts, have also incorporated the feedback from the national coaching staff in regards to fitness and skill levels displayed at the high performance camps.

“Nida Dar has earned the promotion from category C to B after impressive outings in South Africa. I congratulate her and remain optimistic that she will continue to take the responsibility as a senior member of the side and produce match winning knocks, which is what we expect from her.

“I also want to congratulate Kainat Imtiaz and Nashra Sandhu, who have earned category C contracts after impressing the selectors at both the international and domestic stage.

“While we have rewarded players for their good performances, we also had to take tough decisions. Sidra Nawaz has been demoted to category C after a lacklustre run in the 2020-21 season. However, she has been named captain of the Pakistan Women’s ‘A’ side for the three T20 matches against their West Indian counterparts and remains an integral member of the Pakistan ODI squad.

“To negate the element of complacency, the national selectors will hold a review after six months, and, if needed, the committee might revisit the categories. However, we are hopeful that these players, who are currently on the historic tour of West Indies, will continue to raise the standard of competitive cricket as we aim to become strong contenders at the international level.”

397a5235-d8f3-4a3b-9221-5b9f0f4aef50.jpg

Pakistan Women ‘A’ begin West Indies tour with commanding win

An unbeaten 40 runs from Ayesha Zafar and two wickets apiece from Aimen Anwar and Rameen Shamim guided Pakistan Women ‘A’ to a seven-wicket win over West Indies ‘A’ in the first of three T20 match series on Wednesday.

The visitors chased down the 97-run target in the 19th over courtesy a solid 40-run opening partnership between Ayesha and Umaima Sohail (21 off 33, two fours).

After the departure of Umaima, Ayesha was joined by Kainat Imtiaz and the pair knitted 23 runs for the second-wicket before Kainat fell to Kaysia Schultz for six with scoreboard reading at 63 for two.

Captain and wicketkeeper-batter Sidra Nawaz (0 off one) was next to go without troubling the scoreboard.

Ayesha’s unbeaten innings included four fours which came off 45 balls.

Earlier, a disciplined bowling performance by Pakistan had restricted the hosts to 96 for eight after Sidra’s decision to bowl first after calling correctly at the toss.

The hosts were provided what looked a promising start by captain Reniece Boyce and Rashada Williams before the former was dismissed by pacer Aimen Anwar in the fifth over.

Rameen’s two wickets in her successive overs – 10th and 12th – initiated a collapse as West Indies lost three wickets for seven runs. She finished with two for 10 from four overs.

The 13th over brought the crucial wicket of Williams, who top-scored in the innings with 33 off 39, thanks to pacer Maham Tariq.

The hosts had lost their half of the batting line-up for 70 and were 74 for five after 16 overs when rain briefly interrupted the play.

Upon the resumption of the play, they could add only 22 more runs and lost three wickets. Following a string of dots, Aimen picked up her second wicket as she dismissed Cherry-Ann Fraser, Steffie Soogrim was stumped off Sadia Iqbal and Caniesha Isaac was run out on the last ball.

Aimen’s figures were two for 22 from four overs

The next match between the two countries’ ‘A’ teams will be played on Friday, which will be followed by the second T20I between West Indies Women and Pakistan Women

Scores in brief:

Pakistan Women ‘A’ beat West Indies Women ‘A’ by seven wickets

West Indies Women ‘A’ 96-8, 20 overs (Rashada Williams 33, Shakibi Gajnabi 20 not out; Rameen Shamim 2-10, Aimen Anwar 2-22)

Pakistan Women ‘A’ 98-3, 18.5 overs (Ayesha Zafar 40 not out, Umaima Sohail 21)

Pakistan Women are 40/5 off 9 overs chasing 137 for victory in the first twenty20 international against the West Indies Women at Antigua. It's going to take a momumental effort for the Pakistanis to win from here.

Back