[VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - Young Pakistani batting prospect

He’s just too young and not ready. That is the issue. Talent wise he’s actually superior to the rest. His shots are so immature.

Picked too early before he’s ready. Same with Haris, same with Haider. Same as Umar akmal who we probably derailed his career. We never learn.

There was no rush to get this guy in. He was still developing in PSL. Fakhar should have been tried first at opening. Perhaps even Farhan.

He needs more chances, but obviously will need far more than the rest because he isn’t ready yet. When the others fail it is more to do with them being not good enough (or never will). That isn’t Saim’s case.

Are you trying to tell me that Saim Ayub is pure talent and he is something big in the future? No bro he is not something big in the coming future because he has missed the train too many times.

It took Rohit Sharma 5-6 years before he actually started to deliver on his talent for India. The CT 2013 and the decision to open the innings turned his career around. Mind you Rohit before that was averaging way lower than even Umar Akmal atleast 10 runs average difference.

Now Rohit is a 50 runs averaging opening batsman and will likely go down as one of their top ODI and T-20 legends.

Will Pakistan ever give even a 1 year run atleast to any marked prospect?

Pakistan frustratingly invests for far too long on the wrong players i.e. Rizwan, Babar and dumps promising players after 3-4 failures too early.

He keeps going for the high risk shots. He needs to balance his game with striking on the ground more.

Talent wise the most natural I've seen since Umar Akmal.

It took Rohit Sharma 5-6 years before he actually started to deliver on his talent for India. The CT 2013 and the decision to open the innings turned his career around. Mind you Rohit before that was averaging way lower than even Umar Akmal atleast 10 runs average difference.

Now Rohit is a 50 runs averaging opening batsman and will likely go down as one of their top ODI and T-20 legends.

Pakistan frustratingly invests for far too long on the wrong players i.e. Rizwan, Babar and dumps promising players after 3-4 failures too early.
Pakistan have given Saim an extended run . Hes played 14-15 games . How many more should he be given. This is a national team and he’s playing in a key position.

We are not talking about 3-4 failures . We are talking about a player who’s has 15 games . No 50. An average of 15 and SR of less that 130.

Rohit sharma is a pathetic example as his promotion was in the one day set up , and he had already played numerous innings in the middle order .

If it was 3-4 games I would say he should be given further run but he debuted in 2022 and so far simply is not good enough.

Check out what Rohit did in domestic cricket during those lean years in international cricket. You would get the answers about why he was persisted with.

Saim need to set fire to domestic cricket. He needs to keep evolving his game. There is no magic move or strategy or batting position or captain that will make a better player.

Saim needs to learn that not every time you have to play a lofted shot. No-look shot is not going to succeed every time to he needs to develop his ground game as well.

This guy is overhyped. He needs to understand that cricket doesn't revolve around the no-look shot... he has to score big if he wants to keep himself relevant in Pakistan cricket,

This guy is overhyped. He needs to understand that cricket doesn't revolve around the no-look shot... he has to score big if he wants to keep himself relevant in Pakistan cricket,
The no look shot is overrated. Its a gimmick.

I watched saim interview on the nadir Ali podcast. Kid has heart but he needs to stop trying to mimick de villers.

He literally said that he plans to eventually develop more unorthodox shots in the future. Bhai phalei orthodox shots khelna seikh lo? 😂😂

He looks a tiny guy. He uses the pace on the ball. Is there any stat on how he does when the pace is taken off. There must be a reason why his strike rate is low despite trying to hit everything. Bit like Pant who swings wildly often doesn't connect in T20. That is why his strike rate is low too.

hahahhaha and that is the most difficlut thing for him to do
Saim said he wants to become like de villers but when he retires people will consider him a legend, so the next Pakistani opener will say things like I wanna be the next saim ayub.

Like bro if you wanna be the next saim ayub, then please make me the next Muhammad Rizwan, Might as well lower our standards.

He looks a tiny guy. He uses the pace on the ball. Is there any stat on how he does when the pace is taken off. There must be a reason why his strike rate is low despite trying to hit everything. Bit like Pant who swings wildly often doesn't connect in T20. That is why his strike rate is low too.

NZ have obviously watched his videos and they know he loves to play the hook, pull and flick off his legs, they are taking pace off the ball and have strategically kept the fielder on the boundary knowing full well Saim cannot resist going for it. Saim will simply have to make the adjustment.

NZ have obviously watched his videos and they know he loves to play the hook, pull and flick off his legs, they are taking pace off the ball and have strategically kept the fielder on the boundary knowing full well Saim cannot resist going for it. Saim will simply have to make the adjustment.

He lacks the brute force. Those kind of guys can even mistime those shots for sixes. So he has to absolutely nail it every time. Either that or he has to pull infront of the wicket like Gill. But Australia set a fielder specifically for that pull in the world cup final and nailed him. Nowadays you have ot play the field like Surya.

Saim said he wants to become like de villers but when he retires people will consider him a legend, so the next Pakistani opener will say things like I wanna be the next saim ayub.

Like bro if you wanna be the next saim ayub, then please make me the next Muhammad Rizwan, Might as well lower our standards.
All that hype after CPL & PLS has clearly gone to his head. He is already thinking of some player wanting to" become the next Saim Ayub ". Height of delusion !

He lacks the brute force. Those kind of guys can even mistime those shots for sixes. So he has to absolutely nail it every time. Either that or he has to pull infront of the wicket like Gill. But Australia set a fielder specifically for that pull in the world cup final and nailed him. Nowadays you have ot play the field like Surya.

Aussies in the ODI WC final even worked out Surya, they knew Surya's main go to shot is the scoop behind the keeper so they kept a unique fielder behind the keeper to take that shot out of the picture and they kept peppering him with slower ball bouncers, the plan worked perfectly as eventually Surya gloved a slower ball bouncer to the keeper.

The no look shot is overrated. Its a gimmick.

I watched saim interview on the nadir Ali podcast. Kid has heart but he needs to stop trying to mimick de villers.

He literally said that he plans to eventually develop more unorthodox shots in the future. Bhai phalei orthodox shots khelna seikh lo? 😂😂
You are making fun of him just after a few failures. He is just 22 and needs to be backed.

And there's nothing wrong in what he stated. He should try to discover new shots. As a cricket fan, i have always been excited by new discoveries.

All that hype after CPL & PLS has clearly gone to his head. He is already thinking of some player wanting to" become the next Saim Ayub ". Height of delusion !
He said this during the nadir Ali podcast yes. It was a bit arrogant.

You are making fun of him just after a few failures. He is just 22 and needs to be backed.

And there's nothing wrong in what he stated. He should try to discover new shots. As a cricket fan, i have always been excited by new discoveries.
I'm not against him, nor am I making fun of him.

I just think he needs to focus on his game as a player rather then mimick de villers which is what he himself claimed.

Mimicking devillers is not an easy task and certainly not easy for someone who's atm struggling to make a mark for pakistani standards rather then ATG standards.

Aussies in the ODI WC final even worked out Surya, they knew Surya's main go to shot is the scoop behind the keeper so they kept a unique fielder behind the keeper to take that shot out of the picture and they kept peppering him with slower ball bouncers, the plan worked perfectly as eventually Surya gloved a slower ball bouncer to the keeper.

But he is not a ODI batsman. He is a different beast in T20. Generally the strategy in T20 is different from ODI. IN ODI you have a lot of time. Surya's domestic List A stat is also mediocre.

I'm not against him, nor am I making fun of him.

I just think he needs to focus on his game as a player rather then mimick de villers which is what he himself claimed.

Mimicking devillers is not an easy task and certainly not easy for someone who's atm struggling to make a mark for pakistani standards rather then ATG standards.

Pakistan probably needs a Razzaq first.

He just has a shot selection issue due to inexperience.

This can easily be worked on and his numbers will improve. The general talent is there and that is something they can continue to work on as they develop his game at the international level.

Pakistan probably needs a Razzaq first.
No Pakistan needs an overhaul which its not willing to achieve.

Pakistan for t20 needs

A) 3 Aggressive top orders and consistent ones. Aka find players and groom them and stick with them constantly but also ensure healthy competiton amongst each other to nurture best talent.

B) More allrounders and proper allrounders, Not these shadab, chacha etc, only actual allrounder the team has is imad who's not long term and won't be around. Chacha and shadab and usama are not allrounders. Allrounders need to be developed and occupy 4-7 lol.

And by all rounders they don't inheritantly have to bat + bowl, someone like haris who is willing to bat anywhere from 1 to 7 is fine. For me an allrounder is anyone who's flexible. So anyone who can makeshift is fine by me, someone like maxwell.

C) Proper spinners( we only have abrar)

D) Actual pacers. These 131 kph losers ain't cutting it.

Yikes.. his confidence after today is probably at an all time low.. all the air is gone from the balloon. Time to bring back Haider Ali 😂

He will and needs to be dropped. Has had plenty of chances . His numbers are embarrassing . Anyone who says otherwise is not a Pakistan fan.

He will and needs to be dropped. Has had plenty of chances . His numbers are embarrassing . Anyone who says otherwise is not a Pakistan fan.
Batsmen like him are high risk and high reward types. You need to back him to come good.

He just has a shot selection issue due to inexperience.

This can easily be worked on and his numbers will improve. The general talent is there and that is something they can continue to work on as they develop his game at the international
Batsmen like him are high risk and high reward types. You need to back him to come good.

At the moment there’s no reward . He’s had 16 games . Averages 14. SR of 128. Not even a single 50. There is a nothing further to back him on .

One thing he has had is plenty of backing . Time to move on for now . He’s 22. If he works on his game enough he can come again.

I think we’ve invested too much to discard him right now. They’ll likely give him the Ireland and England series.

At the moment there’s no reward . He’s had 16 games . Averages 14. SR of 128. Not even a single 50. There is a nothing further to back him on .

One thing he has had is plenty of backing . Time to move on for now . He’s 22. If he works on his game enough he can come again.

The problem is Pakistan is already a one paced batting line up, if you take Ayub out of the batting line up we'll be hitting scores of 160 max. Pakistan needs more strikers not less. I doon't think there is any choice but to back him and hope he develops with experience.

He's a talent, no doubt. With his form at an all-time low, now is the time to persist with him. He's a good knock from showcasing that talent.

The problem is Pakistan is already a one paced batting line up, if you take Ayub out of the batting line up we'll be hitting scores of 160 max. Pakistan needs more strikers not less. I doon't think there is any choice but to back him and hope he develops with experience.
You’re basing this on his performances in domestic cricket . Saim Ayub has done zilch in international cricket .

There is no recall factor with Saim Ayub either. He’s not even scored a single 50 in 15-16 games . So the selectors can’t back an unproven player who has never performed going into a World Cup at a prime spot .

Give him the England series too. If he can get going then PP SR will go back to being acceptable. Rizwan and Babar together are too slow.

Saim also proved to be a PSL hack now. He just not getting a go in his batting atm. He needs to learn and learn fast else he will be out of this team soon. I will still take him in the team for the England series but IMO that should be his last chance.

-----------------------------

Pakistan captain Babar Azam speaking about Saim Ayub in post-series presser:

"Saim Ayub is extremely talented. The way he changes the game in the first six overs is commendable. He's struggling but I feel he just needs one innings to get going. Sometimes you need to give some extra time to special talents like him. Hopefully, he will do well in the future."​

Last edited:
Back