[VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - Young Pakistani batting prospect

I don't think he should be anywhere near the Test squad right now. He needs 2-3 years in FC cricket where he is among the leading run scorers and develops consistency for a longer duration.

Saim is one of their better prospects and they need to develop him properly.

However, he's definitely ready to become a T20I opener for Pakistan and should be a fixture in the ODI squad too.

Have you seen the tournament... it's been a very low scoring tournament with pedestrian SR. Despite some games with low scores, he still has a good SR which is what you want to see. It's good indication that he begins aggressively and stays aggressively and when its his day, he can be destructive.

I am sure he could accumulate runs with lower SR but no one wants that.
Whats your opinion on todays game then i rest my case . Need to understand cricket not look how difficult the pitches are. Half decent attack today and struggled big time was also dropped. I like the guy but needs lotsof hard work

Whats your opinion on todays game then i rest my case . Need to understand cricket not look how difficult the pitches are. Half decent attack today and struggled big time was also dropped. I like the guy but needs lotsof hard work

Yes, he had a bad day today, but overall, he was good, he was still the leading run scorer of the tournament.
But yes, he needs still have work to do, especially against spin.

Yes, he had a bad day today, but overall, he was good, he was still the leading run scorer of the tournament.
But yes, he needs still have work to do, especially against spin.
Indeed whats required is consistency. Today Gill had a bad day thats fine everybody has them. What we need is consistency from our batters so they can be relied upon. All the world calls us unpredictable team. I would actually take that as an insult and improve to be more consistent.

Indeed whats required is consistency. Today Gill had a bad day thats fine everybody has them. What we need is consistency from our batters so they can be relied upon. All the world calls us unpredictable team. I would actually take that as an insult and improve to be more consistent.
If you play the way Saim and Haris play you won't be as consistent as the risk levels are higher.

If you play the way Saim and Haris play you won't be as consistent as the risk levels are higher.
Agreed that is very true. But in hindsight it was fakhars form which cost us he is in the same boat as haris and saim. 4 years we invested in him and even gave him the first match despite his poor form

Agreed that is very true. But in hindsight it was fakhars form which cost us he is in the same boat as haris and saim. 4 years we invested in him and even gave him the first match despite his poor form

That's because he's an X Factor hence why he got an extended run even thou he wasn't in form and I hope they give the two names above an extended run once they in the xi

Saim needs a run of 20 games in a row. Same with Huraira. Who cares what happens in bilaterals, they are meaningless but the international experience is vital when it comes time to play in a WC.

We should be trying out youngsters constantly.

Saim needs a run of 20 games in a row. Same with Huraira. Who cares what happens in bilaterals, they are meaningless but the international experience is vital when it comes time to play in a WC.

Huraira is not a limited overs player at all. He was so poor even his domestic team dropped him. On what basis does he deserve run?

Right we need to stop worrying about losing matches we are crap anyway so why not just give long runs to the youngsters. Time to move on from imam, shadab, agha, Usama, hassan ali, Haris Rauf type of players from the odie team and even in t20s

Left-handed opening batter Saim Ayub has earned his maiden call-up to the Test team after an impressive run in Quaid-e-Azam Trophy 2023-24. The 22-year-old scored 553 runs in four matches for Karachi Whites and had three centuries to his name, including a match-winning double century against Faisalabad in the final of the tournament. He continued his form in the Pakistan Cup (one-day tournament), where he was named the best batter of the tournament, ending as the competition’s highest run-getter.

This is what Wahab Riaz had to say about Saim Ayub during his press conference today after he was selected in the Pakistan test squad for the Australia tour.

"Saim Ayub is an impact player. I feel that the tour will really help his game by providing him the relevant exposure and hopefully when he gets to play, he will deliver as he has in the past."

I'm really happy for Saim that he got selected for the Australian tour. He might not get a chance to play, but it's very good for him to get the exposure out there.

This lad is going to be a next super star after babar azam.

Saim Ayub's selection has been justified because of his performances but I guess he still needed another season to make himself more comfortable. I guess he has been rushed into the side for a difficult tour. He might not even play a single match on this tour but surely he has performed and deserved to be acknowledged.

This is a very good tour for Saim even just carrying etc. I remember him going to Aussieland as under 19 captain and got all single digit figures. There will be lots of things to learn over there for him

Saim Ayub's performance at the Test series training camp

Australian tour coming and getting out on a short ball that too in Pakistan, I don't know if he was careless or what.
Even though it is a practice match, he should be worried about this dismissal. Good learning experience for him.

Saim Ayub's performance at the Test series training camp

As great a talent as he is, he's not looking too comfortable out there.
Think he will need some training with the main team and a season or so of more experience.

The worst thing for him would be to dent his confidence by playing him in Australia where the conditions might be a bit more challenging for him. Could set him back quite a bit.

Australian tour coming and getting out on a short ball that too in Pakistan, I don't know if he was careless or what.
Even though it is a practice match, he should be worried about this dismissal. Good learning experience for him.
Predominantly a front foot player he'll have a horrid time if he gets a chance in Aus

Babar is also a front foot player and he is doing fine with it. Saim must have a habit which he has developed and this is a part of his technique now. He can surely succeed as a front-foot player as well. Just need to be more focused. In his last five List A matches, he has shown consistent performance with scores of 11, 95, 23, 179, and 28. Not bad to be honest.

Babar is also a front foot player and he is doing fine with it. Saim must have a habit which he has developed and this is a part of his technique now. He can surely succeed as a front-foot player as well. Just need to be more focused. In his last five List A matches, he has shown consistent performance with scores of 11, 95, 23, 179, and 28. Not bad to be honest.
Babar too had a horrid first tour of Australia.
Saim does not use his backfoot to get on top of short rising deliveries. Also he plays with an open blade and away from the body to deliveries that leave him.
But he's definitely got the hunger to improve and Aus tour should be a great exposure for him

Saim does not use his backfoot to get on top of short rising deliveries. Also he plays with an open blade and away from the body to deliveries that leave him.
But he's definitely got the hunger to improve and Aus tour should be a great exposure for him​
Yep, it’s true that Babar Azam had a challenging first tour of Australia, but many great players have had similar experiences early in their careers.

As for Saim Ayub’s technique, he may currently struggle with short-rising deliveries and tends to play with an open blade, it is not like these issues cannot be improved with coaching and practice. He can overcome these problems with practice and experience if he can play more games at such venues.​

But he's definitely got the hunger to improve and Aus tour should be a great exposure for him
Saim should play. I doubt he will though.
Shan Masood and Abdullah are guaranteed 2 slots. Saim is competing with Imam so let’s see if Shan will replace Imam with Saim. Doubt it

I don't think he should be anywhere near the Test squad right now. He needs 2-3 years in FC cricket where he is among the leading run scorers and develops consistency for a longer duration.

Saim is one of their better prospects and they need to develop him properly.

However, he's definitely ready to become a T20I opener for Pakistan and should be a fixture in the ODI squad too.

If he is in white ball team he will never get chance to play 4 day cricket and develop that game
When you bring a new prospect blood him in all 3 formats or else his red ball game stagnates this is one of the main reason Yuvraj never developed in to an elite test batter

Saim Ayub, during a media talk at Pindi Stadium today, said:

"My approach will always be fearless, but sometimes you have to play according to the conditions and respect the opposition bowlers. Momentum swings in the match, so you have to adjust accordingly and not be reckless."

Saim Ayub, who is part of the squad for the Australia Test tour 2023-24, during a media talk today at Pindi Stadium:

"My approach will always be fearless, but sometimes you have to play according to the conditions and respect the opposition bowlers. Momentum swings in the match, so you have to adjust accordingly and not be reckless."

Saim Ayub, who is part of the squad for the Australia Test tour 2023-24, during a media talk today at Pindi Stadium :

"InshaAllah, we expect to go, and I always try to seize any chance for the team, striving to win matches and prove myself as a match-winner. MashaAllah, preparations are good, and the crucial aspects are in our minds. Accordingly, we are working to embed those things in our subconscious mind.

For the approach, it should always be fearless, but sometimes you have to adapt to the conditions, showing respect. Momentum in the match can shift, with bowlers or batters dominating, so adjustments are necessary. Sometimes we play with a run rate of 3, and other times at 5, depending on the session.

I believe a player creates difficulty but can also ease it by being mentally prepared. As a team, I'd say nothing is impossible in cricket. The approach should be fearless, and good results will follow.

In our minds, we aim for good intentions and have practiced accordingly. Regarding the discussion about wickets there, I'm inexperienced and haven't toured or played there. However, I watch cricket of them. They have fast pitches, but on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th days, it also gets spin, and the ball slows down. We've practiced for these conditions, considering bounce and seam, and InshaAllah, we're going after thorough preparation here.

I haven't claimed to be my own ideal. Instead, I aspire to create an identity like the legends who were my age once. They've been through what I am going through now, serving as motivation. I take on the role of being my own coach, learning from everyone but focusing on developing the things that suit me best for improvement."

Saim Ayub's positive outlook for the Australia Test tour is impressive. He has game awareness which i see from his quotes

You can tell Saim is wise and well in tune with his game from his words.

This type of controlled confidence will help him in the long term when there are bad patches.

This guy is an exceptional prospect and simply has to be in the team for the next world t20 - not least because he was sensation on those pitches during the CPL.

Reactions: IAJ
Pakistan youngster eager to grasp Test chance in Australia

Boom youngster Saim Ayub has promised to stay fearless should he earn a first Test cap for Pakistan during next month's tour of Australia.

Pakistan travel to Australia for a three-match series as part of the ongoing ICC World Test Championship and Ayub is in the running for selection after he was named in an 18-player squad earlier this month.

While Ayub is yet to earn a Test debut, the 21-year-old has already featured for Pakistan in eight T20I contests this year and has further impressed at domestic level with a large sum of runs for Karachi Whites in the recently concluded Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

The next step for Ayub will be to translate that strong form in Pakistan to the international arena and the confident left-hander is adamant he won't change his aggressive approach should he earn selection in Australia.

“The approach should stay fearless but sometimes you have to play according to the conditions, you’ve to give respect to the bowlers when they are dominating," Ayub said.

"The momentum keeps shifting during the match, sometimes it’s with the bowlers and other times it’s with the batters and you have to adjust accordingly.

“Having a fearless approach doesn’t mean that you always have to hit the ball hard. Some sessions have to be played with a run-rate of three, some with that of five.

“As far as expectations are concerned, I am looking forward to the opportunity of playing for Pakistan and win matches for the team."

Pakistan seemingly have a wealth of options within their top-order, with Ayub battling it out with regular openers Abdullah Shafique and Imam-ul-Haq to tackle the new ball and new skipper Shan Masood and former captain Babar Azam likely to round out a strong top four.

Ayub will get chances to impress though, with Pakistan scheduled to take on an Australian Prime Minister’s XI in a four-day contest from December 6 ahead of the first Test in Perth commencing on December 14.

And while Pakistan haven't won a Test match in Australia for almost 28 years, Ayub is looking forward to the challenge as his side attempts to remain unbeaten in the current World Test Championship cycle.

“I think it will be fun playing cricket there (in Australia),” Ayub said.

“You’ve to push yourself out of your comfort zone and when there are challenges, there is growth as well and that excites me as a player.

“Players decide for themselves if they want to look at conditions as easy or difficult. What’s more important is the clarity of thought and being fearless with your approach.”
ICC

In the presence of Abdullah, shan and Imam, I doubt that he is going to get any chance on this tour. Until or unless shan decides to play at number 3 and Abdullah opens with saim, I do not see this happening.

In the presence of Abdullah, shan and Imam, I doubt that he is going to get any chance on this tour. Until or unless shan decides to play at number 3 and Abdullah opens with saim, I do not see this happening.
Be prepared to be surprised as he will be thrown to the wolves once Imam fails.

Sydney is one of the best places away from home to debut for sub cont batsman

I hope for once we can go to Sydney with series still alive.

SHan can easily be drafted on number 3 with Babar at 4 and saud and Sarfraz at 5 and 6. Saim can open with Abdullah and leave imam on the bench. But the Australian tour is not the perfect event to debut a young talent.

Imagine - Saim hits a fast-paced hundred in his debut Test in Australia? and then my alarm rings...

Saim Ayub is getting praised for his style of batting by the new captain. But the real question is will he be playing any game or will just be sitting on the bench for the whole tour?

-------------------------------------------------

Pakistan Test Captain Shan Masood about Saim Ayub during a press conference ahead of Australia Tour:

"As far as Saim Ayub is concerned, he is an exciting prospect for Pakistan. Saim Ayub is sending a message to the entire domestic cricket scene, that he possesses the ideal way of playing. We want the batting approach of all batter playing in domestic cricket to be of this type. In this way, Saim Ayub has received his reward."​

Last edited:
Saim Ayub is getting praised for his style of batting by the new captain. But the real question is will he be playing any game or will just be sitting on the bench for the whole tour?

-------------------------------------------------

Pakistan Test Captain Shan Masood about Saim Ayub during a press conference ahead of Australia Tour:

"As far as Saim Ayub is concerned, he is an exciting prospect for Pakistan. Saim Ayub is sending a message to the entire domestic cricket scene, that he possesses the ideal way of playing. We want the batting approach of all batter playing in domestic cricket to be of this type. In this way, Saim Ayub has received his reward."​
enough of this praising by management, question is that when he wil get a chance to play for pakistan?

why dont team management realize that they are wasting his prime years.

enough of this praising by management, question is that when he wil get a chance to play for pakistan?

why dont team management realize that they are wasting his prime years.
Saim Ayub needs to be included in the side ASAP as he seems to play a modern brand of cricket which Pakistan desperately needs.

2nd ball duck for saim ayub, a tough start of the career for young lad.

Ramiz was right about him he is talented but raw at the moment.

Well, Yasir Hameed hit two centuries in his debut match

He didn’t amount to much. Good going Saim, your on the right track

Saim is a stroke maker. This is a tough spot he is put in, he won't survive in this test match. The only way out for him is to bat attacking from ball 1

If they wanted to play him they should have sent him in at 5/6. Sending him out against Starc and Hazlewood on their home strip with a fresh cherry is just setting him up for failure.

This guy literally took it as literally possible when people said there were no expectations from him in this test match.

At least put up a fight, weak stuff from him.

That wasnt the tour for him to debut infact any youngster wont feel confident playihg his very first test in Australia

1 or 2 more failures and he is out from the scene, that is how we spoil the careers

This guy literally took it as literally possible when people said there were no expectations from him in this test match.

At least put up a fight, weak stuff from him.
He got unlucky. It was a cracking ball, it’s his first game here,
Never faced or played on this type of this pitch with these bowlers. Give him a chance

I'm all for giving him sizeable opportunities, but as ever the hype bubble busted in 2 deliveries

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha…maybe a debut duck is the best kind of starting fuel for a promising career. Saim is here to stay and he will blossom under Shan’s captaincy. Brush this off and try again in the second innings.

That was a peach of a delivery for a debutant. It would have troubled many batters. He will be disappointed that he got a superb delivery so early. Hoping for him to do well in the 2nd innings.

The Debutant, Saim and Babar. Saim might have not liked the way he was welcomed by the Aussies but hopefully he can do well in the 2nd Innings.

1704257391283.png

He's already played 7 t20s for Pakistan

Made 2 reasonable 40 scores but no proper gun innings or match winning innings.

Either stand up or deliver because pakistan selectors are ruthless they will discard you, m haris gone , tayyab tahir gone after 3 t20s against afghanistan , zafar gohar discarded .

So you either step up and show your value and do something or get discarded.

Imam ul haq backers are strong , imo only fakhar zaman is the biggest threat to displace him in tests
In odis I think shan masood can replace imam and open with fakhar.

This is the best chance saim has to showcase himself or like m haris he will be gone

He played 2 balls! Got a cracker! Clearly you’ve never ever played cricket on any level in your life
Before assuming what level of cricket i played, maybe you need calm down.

Do you present the same logic for other players? Offcourse not.

You might like him, or he might be your favourite, doenst matter.

That was a poor debut by him no matter how you put it, just accept it. If he continues with such performance, he will be dropped like Mohammad Harris.

I know its his first test game, but it was a poor show by him

Before assuming what level of cricket i played, maybe you need calm down.

Do you present the same logic for other players? Offcourse not.

You might like him, or he might be your favourite, doenst matter.

That was a poor debut by him no matter how you put it, just accept it. If he continues with such performance, he will be dropped like Mohammad Harris.

I know its his first test game, but it was a poor show by him

First of all he isn’t my favourite player and neither do I like or dislike him. I have never seen him play. So why would I not hold that logic for other players? The same rule applies for any player they shouldn’t be judged on one performance.

if you did play cricket you’d know anyone can get out early and get a good ball or even play a bad shot. He only faced two balls and got a good ball, he’s never played against Australia in Australia on a test surface, it’s alien to him. so you can’t judge him or any of the new players performance based on one innings! It happens. People should be given more than one innings before you jump on their back.

I am not backing his selection or am I against it, the point is one innings doesn’t give us any indication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs to toughen up

If he wants to be Pakistan’s all format opener, he will have to lift his intensity in the field

Too soft at the moment

Saim would be so down and out because he got a duck on his debut and now he dropped the easiest of the catches. I don't know what is wrong with our slip-catching.

First of all he isn’t my favourite player and neither do I like or dislike him. I have never seen him play. So why would I not hold that logic for other players? The same rule applies for any player they shouldn’t be judged on one performance.

if you did play cricket you’d know anyone can get out early and get a good ball or even play a bad shot. He only faced two balls and got a good ball, he’s never played against Australia in Australia on a test surface, it’s alien to him. so you can’t judge him or any of the new players performance based on one innings! It happens. People should be given more than one innings before you jump on their back.

I am not backing his selection or am I against it, the point is one innings doesn’t give us any indication.

To even know what the word proven means? just assume something doesnt mean its proven.

Where did i claim he is a bad player? He played a bad innings, but for some reason people dont want to hear criticism.

Now he drops a catch.

Oh but wait, he is making a debut, his drop catches should be ignored because fan will than come out saying catches can be dropped.

I have always believed that debutant should be allowed to debut first in home conditions, and I am still sure Saim will come good after few innings but dropping a llolypop catch is a crime at this level of cricket. It is Abdullah & Saim this time and there were many others in the past, Pakistan has lost many golden moments because of pathetic fielding standards.

Pakistan is the least talented cricket nation for a reason. Guys like Ayub are good but they are good for our standards and our standards are awful.

Ayub is tipped to be our next star but there are probably 30 batsmen in India alone who have more ability and skill than he does.

Therefore, stop this unnecessary cricitism. It will be very harsh on Ayub to expect him to perform immediately in such circumstances.

He is making his debut against one of the all-time great Test bowling attacks. You can’t expect him to make much of an impact in these circumstances.

He is clearly good enough to play for Pakistan and get an extended run across formats. He will definitely come good.

You can get jhonty Rhodes teaching these guys but they still will make these howlers

This is bread and butter stuff one should have learned at junior level , it was an absolute dolly .

How do you get to international cricket and not know how to catch a ball?
Pakistan has the lowest bouncing pitches in the world. Slips don't come into play often enough in FC cricket so these guys just don't get the practice.

That spells trouble as in AUS a high % of wickets are behind the stumps, i.e. keeper and slip catches.

Pakistan is the least talented cricket nation for a reason. Guys like Ayub are good but they are good for our standards and our standards are awful.

Ayub is tipped to be our next star but there are probably 30 batsmen in India alone who have more ability and skill than he does.

Therefore, stop this unnecessary cricitism. It will be very harsh on Ayub to expect him to perform immediately in such circumstances.

He is making his debut against one of the all-time great Test bowling attacks. You can’t expect him to make much of an impact in these circumstances.

He is clearly good enough to play for Pakistan and get an extended run across formats. He will definitely come good.
bro no one is critisizing ayub. Its just those annoying fans that are coming in and think they have to defend him at all cost and who cant admit he had a bad debut

Just too young and not ready yet. And we’re rushing him in to the team regardless because we are desperate. Should only be playing t20s at most.

The only batsman from Pak I’ve seen at that young age who was talented enough at that age was umar akmal. And he still probably debuted too early with too much expectations.

This is not how to develop young players allowing them to rack up awful career stats early on in their career.

There is only a small number of players who are talented. It’s the same for most nations. You do your absolute best to make it easier for that talent to be fulfilled. You can’t just keep trying new people from domestic all the time, it doesn’t work.

Saim and Abdullah are clearly our best batting talents from domestic. It becomes less on whether they are good enough to play, more how can we make sure they succeed. I think we’ve mismanaged both their careers so far. Harris’s too, but honestly I don’t think he’s the same level as those other two.

So he is a terrible fielder also Alas! Pakistan cricket there is no hope

I watched him for some 15 minutes and he looked very comfortable and his technique was also very sound. It's a very difficult wicket to bat on, at least 3-4 balls kept very low. Good experience for him this. Needs to do something with his fielding though.

I watched him for some 15 minutes and he looked very comfortable and his technique was also very sound. It's a very difficult wicket to bat on, at least 3-4 balls kept very low. Good experience for him this. Needs to do something with his fielding though.
There is absolutely no excuse for being a poor fielder for a young guy in this day and age.

Saim clearly is clearly a lazy fella who has done zilch work on this fielding. He needs to be told off.

I would love to see him open the innings on NZ tour and let's hope he doesn't lose the opportunity.

Mentioned this in November last year.These weaknesses are visible in most of his dismissals so far in Aus n NZ

Yes he dropped a catch on Test debut but he has taken some great catches after that.

And Southee and Henry have got him swiping across the line to balls that were moving away from an off stump line .

But I don't see the issue. He's clearly not the finished product and has a couple of issues. Surely he's better than the rest of the guys. That should be obvious to anyone watching

A generational T20 talent like Jos Buttler only started performing consistently in his 17th T20I , 14 months after his debut, and he came from a better domestic system than PAK.

Knives are out way too early for young Saim.

Give him a year and then drop him if he hasn't improved

It's a myth that they'll improve playing low quality bowlers in PAK domestic.

This is what will inevitably happen with someone not ready for international cricket. You can’t keep playing someone and failing forever.

They should have played him for the entire series. And they should have opened with fakhar instead of giving another youngster to fail.

Back