[VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - Young Pakistani batting prospect

This is what will inevitably happen with someone not ready for international cricket. You can’t keep playing someone and failing forever.

They should have played him for the entire series. And they should have opened with fakhar instead of giving another youngster to fail.

They seem to keep picking Iftikhar though

They seem to keep picking Iftikhar though
He will get dropped soon and rightly so. But Saim averages under 15 at a worse SR. Iftikhar averages over 25. Not anything to scream about but that’s quite a big difference. And Saim was opening for a bit too. These sort of stats are tolerated for Haris and Saim. If it were iftikhar he’d be dropped forever.

Not even saying I support Saim getting dropped I don’t. I just think maybe you avoid situations like that debuting him when you’re pretty sure he will perform and is ready. Not like this where it “doesn’t matter when he fails”. Seen so many times it does tend to matter. Look at Farhan I remember him a long while back on debut, it took him that long to get another try. Others didn’t get it back at all. I don’t think Saim has reached his potential, and his state right now might not be good enough for international cricket.

He will get dropped soon and rightly so. But Saim averages under 15 at a worse SR. Iftikhar averages over 25. Not anything to scream about but that’s quite a big difference. And Saim was opening for a bit too. These sort of stats are tolerated for Haris and Saim. If it were iftikhar he’d be dropped forever.

Not even saying I support Saim getting dropped I don’t. I just think maybe you avoid situations like that debuting him when you’re pretty sure he will perform and is ready. Not like this where it “doesn’t matter when he fails”. Seen so many times it does tend to matter. Look at Farhan I remember him a long while back on debut, it took him that long to get another try. Others didn’t get it back at all. I don’t think Saim has reached his potential, and his state right now might not be good enough for international cricket.

He's played over 50 T20i's and has pretty much been a massive failure, he seems undroppable to me

Saim should have been backed. He has shown enough talent throughout his short career so far to warrant that.

I guess he has PSL now to reaffirm his spot before the WC.

Saim is good enough but he needs to work on his approach. His problem is that he is not as good as he thinks he is.

There is a fine line between confidence and over-confidence and he needs to curb his over-confidence.

That stupid no look shot needs to be binned for now. It is too early in his career for that and the embarrassing dismissal in the third T20I should serve as a wake up call for him.

Why not drop Iftakhar Ahmad, why do they keep playing him and drop Saim. Saim actually shows intent to score, Ifttakhar is a waste of space in this team.

Why not drop Iftakhar Ahmad, why do they keep playing him and drop Saim. Saim actually shows intent to score, Ifttakhar is a waste of space in this team.
Today is why they don’t drop iftikhar. Saim needs a bit more refining for international level.

Today is why they don’t drop iftikhar. Saim needs a bit more refining for international level.

He'll get more refinement by playing and with good advice from senior batsmen. Not sure any are actually capable of giving it, but that's all he really needs, he's just a young hot head at the moment but he has the right intent.

If Pakistan wanted to test Hasibullah, they could have done it by dropping some oldie that can use some rest. Saim Ayub I feel is the best batting talent to come out of Pakistan after Babar Azam. He needs as many games as possible under the belt. He can be sometimes over aggressive like Jaiswal. But their style of play involves lots of risks. Teams need to back such players in the modern game.

Nice compact player with style.He needs to put some weight on bearly clearing the boundary.

A poor decision to drop Saim. If was good enough to be picked, he is good enough to be persisted with
I’m all for Saim but it was clear that his confidence had been eroded , so probably a wise thing to do to drop/rest him for the last game .
He failed to bat through even one power play in the 4 innings he had.

He’s had 11 games now , all in the space of the last 12 months , and is yet to pass 50 and he averages only 14.

I think the PCB have given him a fair run .

I’m all for Saim but it was clear that his confidence had been eroded , so probably a wise thing to do to drop/rest him for the last game .

He’s had 11 games now , all in the space of the last 12 months , and is yet to pass 50 and he averages only 14.

He doesn't look like he lacks confidence so disagree there. Maybe he needs to work on shot selection but Pakistan has so few match winning batsmen I feel if they see a genuine talent they should just play him until it's obvious he has significant flaws.

He needs to stop going for a 6 every time he goes aggressive. Just play on the ground.

He's a good stroke maker but needs temperament.

He doesn't look like he lacks confidence so disagree there. Maybe he needs to work on shot selection but Pakistan has so few match winning batsmen I feel if they see a genuine talent they should just play him until it's obvious he has significant flaws.
Every batsman has flaws but his last few innings his shot selection cost him his wicket He scored 1,10, 1 . Saim has yet to display his match winning capabilities for Pakistan , no doubt he has potential but it don’t mean he gets unprecedented run , when the output is simply not there.

The reason he averages 14 after 11 games because he simply has not delivered .

I am always of the belief that you always give the players that extra game. We had nothing to lose by playing him and if he failed, well then you move on for the near future. He has enough talent to come back.

Every batsman has flaws but his last few innings his shot selection cost him his wicket He scored 1,10, 1 . Saim has yet to display his match winning capabilities for Pakistan , no doubt he has potential but it don’t mean he gets unprecedented run , when the output is simply not there.

Fakhar Zaman couldn't score a run to save his life for a year but because he was a match winner we ended up bringing him back and he won matches.

11 games is quite a small sample size for a young player. I believe in the eye test above all else, to me the lad looks like he has what it takes. I'd give him priority over guys who have shown they can't cope in high level games when the pressure is on.

Saim is good enough but he needs to work on his approach. His problem is that he is not as good as he thinks he is.

There is a fine line between confidence and over-confidence and he needs to curb his over-confidence.

That stupid no look shot needs to be binned for now. It is too early in his career for that and the embarrassing dismissal in the third T20I should serve as a wake up call for him.
Just chill dude. Its T20 cricket, let the guy just play the way he knows. What will be good for him is to actually play 4 day cricket and work hard in order to improve. Playing as much as possible will help. Issue Rizwan and Babar want to play every single game.

Fakhar Zaman couldn't score a run to save his life for a year but because he was a match winner we ended up bringing him back and he won matches.

11 games is quite a small sample size for a young player. I believe in the eye test above all else, to me the lad looks like he has what it takes. I'd give him priority over guys who have shown they can't cope in high level games when the pressure is on.
You can’t compare FZ to Saim at this stage . FZ has rightfully earnt a long rope due to his match winning performances which began right from the start of his international career .
Even still he’s been dropped a few times.
Saim has had a longer rope then a few of the other youngsters selected recently.

Having said that they can still give Saim another go in the next t20 series after the PSL, but so far he’s fluffed his lines .

He is extremely raw and it is not his fault that Pakistan is so devoid of talent that we threw him into international cricket with such limited experience.

In India, Australia etc. Saim would not have seen international cricket for several years.

When you identify that a youngster has the talent to survive at international level you should back them. You should appreciate there is a learning curve within which they may struggle but the reason you picked them is the belief that they can succeed.

By picking Saim for 4 games then dropping him we’ve sent him a message that we don’t think he is good enough for this level and he won’t be given chances to adapt in the future.

In that case we should have picked him in 2-3 years and not now.

You can’t compare FZ to Saim at this stage . FZ has rightfully earnt a long rope due to his match winning performances which began right from the start of his international career .
Even still he’s been dropped a few times.
Saim has had a longer rope then a few of the other youngsters selected recently.

Having said that they can still give Saim another go in the next t20 series after the PSL, but so far he’s fluffed his lines .

So in your own words he earned a longer rope because he won a match at the start of his career. This is why stats can be misleading. I would judge a player on his general ability over a short term success.

He didn't do very well in the past few games but he deserves more chances.

He seems like a natural hitter.

So in your own words he earned a longer rope because he won a match at the start of his career. This is why stats can be misleading. I would judge a player on his general ability over a short term success.
FZ took the world by storm at the highest level in an ICC tournament.
He scored match winning 50s and an ATG knock in the final .

There really is no comparison.

Saim as a standalone has bags of potential, is only 21 but it can’t be ignored that in his first 11 t20 matches he simply is not upto the mark.
No one is writing his career of, but I think at this stage he’s had a good run .

If he has a good PSL then he can come back into the reckoning .

Because of his young age & Pakistan's lack of attacking batsman, Pakistan draft in a incomplete batter like Saim Ayub. Yes he can play innovative shots, but ultimately he still has some major areas he needs work on which will only come with proper match experience, domestic cricket & proper coaching.

He could be a big player for Pakistan in the future but needs to give a long rope & patience. Not hung to dry out over a few poor performances.

Utilising youngsters has been one of many Achilles heels for Pakistan cricket.

He didn't do very well in the past few games but he deserves more chances.

He seems like a natural hitter.

Indeed, he will get more chances for sure but he needs to come out from that no-look shot supremacy otherwise he will ruin his career.

Saim is just being careless and not putting value on his wicket. Maybe he is told to play like he did on this tour but really, he should do better than that. Put money on your wicket and he will shine like he did in franchise cricket.

You guys need to show some patience. He's just 21. He'll get some inevitable failures but him and Haris is just the right step for Pakistan cricket.

He needs consistent chances to gain some confidence but at the same time he also needs to be more cautious while playing his shots.

I noticed he goes for wild shots early in his innings which is wrong. He needs to be calm initially to get used to the wicket, once you settle down then you can play ur shots.

Saim Ayub has joined Durdanto Dhaka for the ongoing Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) season.

And has now arrived

bSaGm6G.png

It's typical Desi culture to undermine guys for overconfidence.

It's better to be overconfident than under confident

Look at Zak Crawley. Utter rubbish defensive technique and his Test record looks absolutely mediocre but England have backed his aggressive instincts and he came good in the Ashes after 3 years of consistent backing.

You have to back your best talents.

Let them fail and get better .

Saim Ayub struggled to make an impact in BPL 2024, scored just 17 (14) runs for Durdanto Dhaka against Rangpur Riders.

One of the biggest over hype job going around atm in pakistan cricket alongwith that muhammad zeeshan.

The way these 2 have been hyped is like saim ayub is the new Warner and zeeshan is curtly ambrose who needs to be fast tracked to intl team and bowl out the opposition .
Even the u19 captain won't give him the new ball 😄

It's typical Desi culture to undermine guys for overconfidence.

It's better to be overconfident than under confident

Look at Zak Crawley. Utter rubbish defensive technique and his Test record looks absolutely mediocre but England have backed his aggressive instincts and he came good in the Ashes after 3 years of consistent backing.

You have to back your best talents.

Let them fail and get better .
Crawley already had a mammoth 267 to his name before his lean patch started. He did spend time in and out of the team under Root. It was under Stokes that he got a consistent run as an opener. Plus England batting lineup is quite deep with Broad batting at 10. Pakistani test team is already on a poor run of losses so everything will be under the scanner and more added pressure.

But I do hope Saim forges a good international career.

Saim Ayub failed to make a significant impression in the BPL 2024. In the match against Khulna Tigers for Durdanto Dhaka, he scored only 35 runs off 37 balls.

Imagine if rizwan played an innings like that for Dhaka in a second rate league he would be getting slaughtered by the anti rizwan brigade .

Last edited by a moderator:
The PCB are mishandling Saim.

He was crushing the CPL and QeA but after struggling down under he suddenly looks lost in BPL.

This situation can be rectified but the management need to go one of two ways now.

1. Tell him very clearly that they believe he is a quality player. No matter what he scores he will be picked. He will be assured as opener for every game until the WC.

2. Leave him alone. Let him cook and don’t even think about selecting him for another 2-3 years.

Knowing Pakistan we will do something in the middle which benefits nobody.

Imagine if rizwan played an innings like that for Dhaka in a second rate league he would be getting slaughtered by the anti rizwan brigade .
Oh yes. But it would always be justified.

Oh yes. But it would always be justified.

Because when rizwan averages 130 strike rate he usually averages 40+ with the bat and makes big scores and wins matches for his team he also gives the team an excellent utility by being a top class wicketkeeper .

When saim ayub averages 130 strike rate he usually averages 10-15 with the bat and has yet to play a gun innings at the top.
I hope he eventually plays these big innings and makes his mark but pakistan cricket can be ruthless you don't take your opportunity and make your mark early when selected you can get discarded pretty quickly.

cause when rizwan averages 130 strike rate he usually averages 40+ with the bat and makes big scores and wins matches for his team he also gives the team an excellent utility by being a top class wicketkeeper .
No, because Rizwan doesn't deserve an opening spot whilst the entire team is unbalanced because of no proper middle order.

Rizwan the opener is a poor decision

Last edited by a moderator:
No, because Rizwan illegally occupies an opening spot whilst the entire team is unbalanced because of no proper middle order.

Rizwan the opener is a con act.

Stats prove otherwise

And replacements for that riz bar combination have failed miserably they got their backsides handed over by afghanistan recently.

Pakistan cricket is in the doldrums atm and I don't think pcb has any plans or can afford to discard 2 of its top players anytime soon or otherwise they will be struggling to beat zimbabwe very soon and end up a proper minnow status.

Pakistan have yet to replace misbah and yk in test matches.

Azhar ali and shafiq time called on their careers they didn't step into yk and misbahs shoes.

There is still hope in babar but it doesn't look to good for him in tests atm. But he still hands down the best pakistan have .

Because when rizwan averages 130 strike rate he usually averages 40+ with the bat and makes big scores and wins matches for his team he also gives the team an excellent utility by being a top class wicketkeeper .

When saim ayub averages 130 strike rate he usually averages 10-15 with the bat and has yet to play a gun innings at the top.
I hope he eventually plays these big innings and makes his mark but pakistan cricket can be ruthless you don't take your opportunity and make your mark early when selected you can get discarded pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how they can be ruthless when they have so little genuine talent available. Even if Ayub's numbers don't add up, a selector should be able to see from one glance that he is more gifted than someone like Shan Masood. Worth persevering with if you want to win limited overs games in the modern era.

If his strike rate has dropped it's likely he's been getting advice to be more careful from his seniors, but that's not his game and will put him in two minds.

True, he needs to play as he naturally does and stick with his role which is to utilize the power play.

But with such a mindset he is currently playing will surely not help him.

Last edited:
Mosaddek Hossain has also joined the Dosti Yaari clique of Babar Rizwan and played Saim at no.3 on their orders.

One of the biggest over hype job going around atm in pakistan cricket alongwith that muhammad zeeshan.

The way these 2 have been hyped is like saim ayub is the new Warner and zeeshan is curtly ambrose who needs to be fast tracked to intl team and bowl out the opposition .
Even the u19 captain won't give him the new ball 😄

Rizwan and Babar have instructed him to play at a low SR

I think Zaka Ashraf has made sure through his magical influence that Babar and Rizwan continue to strike at around 100-110 in the powerplay…in the BPL too

Saim Ayub has yet to deliver in BPL 2024. Today, once again, he flopped to perform for Durdanto Dhaka, scoring only 13 (9) against Sylhet Strikers.

I said all along he is nothing special but we need to persiat with new players as we have no choice

If he cannot perform In BPL then may be SindPL is his level

Just because the league is weaker doesn't mean its easy runs in BPL. Scores are always very low in their leagues with these slow poor pitches. It's like playing on Pakistani road pitches with easy 200-250+ runs as a regular basis.

Don't think its a bad ploy for him and other Pakistani players to be playing this league with the upcoming WC likely to be on similarly slow pitches in WI. Unsure what pitches will be like in US though.

Just because the league is weaker doesn't mean its easy runs in BPL. Scores are always very low in their leagues with these slow poor pitches. It's like playing on Pakistani road pitches with easy 200-250+ runs as a regular basis.

Don't think its a bad ploy for him and other Pakistani players to be playing this league with the upcoming WC likely to be on similarly slow pitches in WI. Unsure what pitches will be like in US though.
Bangladeshi pitches aren't same as West Indies. Saim just had a great CPL Season. Every country is different

Saim Ayub is rated very highly but his performances are below par. As I said earlier, he is not putting value to his wicket and is pretty careless. He is taking this hype for granted.

Saim Ayub is rated very highly but his performances are below par. As I said earlier, he is not putting value to his wicket and is pretty careless. He is taking this hype for granted.
Another failure for him today against Rangpur Riders in BPL. He was given a chance when his catch was dropped but still, he ended up with just 2 runs on 8 balls.

What value does Fin Allen put on his wicket? He is supposed to go out and play freely. The issue is that his body, bat and head are just not in line at the moment. He’s a good player, he will come through.

a6We3kY.jpeg

Recent Scores of Saim Ayub in BPL:

2 off 8 balls

13 off 9 balls

35 off 37 balls

17 off 14 balls

SO far he has been a total failure. Not good for him at all.

I don't think saim is watching the ball.he completely missed line of a spinner on a flat track.

Saim is just an overhyped player always trying to play shots more stylishly rather than focusing on the game plan.

So after 15 international games, is it safe to say he is over rated? Or do we need more games for that.

15 games is more than enough i would say, that too when alot of the teams faced are B and C sides

He is coming near to that point where people might say Awais Zia was better than Saim Ayub

He been given plenty of chances and needs a lot more since he has potential but he needs to start playing some decent knocks in between the failures. At the moment he's not doing anything of note.

Azhar Mahmood just confirmed the top 4

Saim
Babar
Rizwan
Fakhar

You might as well pull out of the World Cup now

Please focus on the basics instead of attempting these cute Tiktok reel shots. Inexcusable dismissal today having already received a life. Ball should've been deposited into the stands instead of trying a flick.

So there is no methodology in our batting we don't have an accelerator even pinch hitter and we ain't working on this , If Shadab wants to.shine in batting then he should come.at no 4

Saim Ayub at this stage is simply not good enough. 15 games , an average of 16 a SR of under 130 and not even a single 50.

Nobody can blame the PCB on this occasion. He has had plenty of chances compared to others .

Whilst he has a high ceiling because of his anything less than 50 if he plays the final game and he should be dropped .

Saim Ayub at this stage is simply not good enough. 15 games , an average of 16 a SR of under 130 and not even a single 50.

Nobody can blame the PCB on this occasion. He has had plenty of chances compared to others .

Whilst he has a high ceiling because of his anything less than 50 if he plays the final game and he should be dropped .
agreed!

he already had enogh chances, better to give Sahibzada farhan a chance to open with Fakhar, things will start getting better for pakistan.

Back