[VIDEOS] Saim Ayub - Young Pakistani batting prospect

Now that we're just below half way though our matches, thoughts on whether Saim Ayub have been the answer to our slow starts or too early to draft him in ?

Saim Ayub >>>> Imam

It would be divine justice if Babar and Imam continue their of failures for the remainder of the WC.

Scandalous.

If I'm not wrong, Pakistan doesn't play a ODI for 1 whole year after the World Cup. It's ridiculous really. Saim needs opportunities to play at the highest level and if you are not scheduling any ODI for the next 1 year, how will he ever make the cut?

The best bet for Pakistan is to schedule ad hoc series even if it means against Ireland/Scotland/Bangladesh and give Saim all the games irrespective of failures. He definitely should play either in place of Fakhar and Imam. Fakhar and Imam are still your first-choice players but it's imperative to build a backup so that you have no hesitation in dropping either Imam or Fakhar once they go out of form.

If I'm not wrong, Pakistan doesn't play a ODI for 1 whole year after the World Cup. It's ridiculous really. Saim needs opportunities to play at the highest level and if you are not scheduling any ODI for the next 1 year, how will he ever make the cut?

The best bet for Pakistan is to schedule ad hoc series even if it means against Ireland/Scotland/Bangladesh and give Saim all the games irrespective of failures. He definitely should play either in place of Fakhar and Imam. Fakhar and Imam are still your first-choice players but it's imperative to build a backup so that you have no hesitation in dropping either Imam or Fakhar once they go out of form.

Sorry but I thought Imam was the most important player in the team?

I think ODIs will be dead after this tournament in general. There’s a reason why so many top players announce retirement from ODI and continue to play other forms of cricket - de Kock for example.

The truth is there is no one better in Pakistan and that’s just a fact. Unfortunately, we as fans always think the person who is not selected is always the better player but most of our aggressive openers we have tried end up being exposed as leg side hacks.

The truth is there is no one better in Pakistan and that’s just a fact. Unfortunately, we as fans always think the person who is not selected is always the better player but most of our aggressive openers we have tried end up being exposed as leg side hacks.

Saim Ayub is better. Technically far superior and he can actually play the short ball very well. Unlike Imam, his shot range isn't so limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still top scorer in today's game. He should be livid for getting out in the manner he did. Made a huge dent to Pakistan winning chances. Imam comfortably is the best opener in the country as of now. If Saim can reproduce his CPL heroics in the ODI game, then Imam should make way. There's no doubt that. And Saim should absolutely get multiple chances to prove himself.

I think ODIs will be dead after this tournament in general. There’s a reason why so many top players announce retirement from ODI and continue to play other forms of cricket - de Kock for example.
The magic of a World Cup still rests with the 50 over format. No one cares about the T20 world cup.

Saim Ayub is better. Technically far superior and he can actually play the short ball very well. Unlike Imam, his shot range isn't so limited.

Imam is a fraud.
I’m not sure, I like his striking and skills but his List A and FC records are not breath taking or anything like that. Who knows how he will be in international cricket. He should certainly he our opener in T20 though.

The magic of a World Cup still rests with the 50 over format. No one cares about the T20 world cup.
Most fans don’t care about either World Cup. The fascination with LOIs is mostly in the subcontinent. England and Australia would rather win an Ashes than win an ODI World Cup for example.

Also just look at how dead/meaningless ODI’s have been the last few years before the tournament. I think attention spans are just becoming too short.

Still top scorer in today's game. He should be livid for getting out in the manner he did. Made a huge dent to Pakistan winning chances. Imam comfortably is the best opener in the country as of now. If Saim can reproduce his CPL heroics in the ODI game, then Imam should make way. There's no doubt that. And Saim should absolutely get multiple chances to prove himself.

I get your rationale for rating Imam above openers who've yet to play any ODIs for Pakistan but you really rate Imam above Abdullah Shafique?

I get your rationale for rating Imam above openers who've yet to play any ODIs for Pakistan but you really rate Imam above Abdullah Shafique?
It just depends on what you value. If you’re looking for the kind of innings Warner played today, then Imam does not have the power to ever play anything like that. But I don’t see any opener in Pakistan that could play an innings like Warner did - aside from maybe Fakhar and it seems that Fakhar is out of form and has been found out.

I rate Imam highly over Abdullah Shafique in ODIs because of Imam's consistency and the ability to put a price tag on his wicket. He tries to ensure that he stays on the wicket for the full 50 overs which means he holds up an end to allow the likes of Fakhar, Babar, Rizwan to bat at the other end with a higher SR. Which is why I'm highly disappointed with him today. He could've marshaled the chase so well but slashed out.

I do not for one moment believe Imam has the shot making ability of Shafique. Shafique is technically far superior to Imam and even Fakhar but technically superior means nothing if you cannot score consistently. Imam is not the player that can play at a SR of 130, but over the past 2 years he has shown the ability to play at 92-93 SR. Combine that with an average of 50, you have the best opener Pakistan has ever had.

Abdullah Shafique has played two good innings now. He needs to build on this and consistently score to displace Fakhar and Imam.

I rate Imam highly over Abdullah Shafique in ODIs because of Imam's consistency and the ability to put a price tag on his wicket. He tries to ensure that he stays on the wicket for the full 50 overs which means he holds up an end to allow the likes of Fakhar, Babar, Rizwan to bat at the other end with a higher SR. Which is why I'm highly disappointed with him today. He could've marshaled the chase so well but slashed out.

I do not for one moment believe Imam has the shot making ability of Shafique. Shafique is technically far superior to Imam and even Fakhar but technically superior means nothing if you cannot score consistently. Imam is not the player that can play at a SR of 130, but over the past 2 years he has shown the ability to play at 92-93 SR. Combine that with an average of 50, you have the best opener Pakistan has ever had.

Abdullah Shafique has played two good innings now. He needs to build on this and consistently score to displace Fakhar and Imam.

Amazing consistency that has led to consistent under par performances in tournaments and the only hundred he’s made was against Bangladesh in 2019 when Pakistan was already out.

Openers are there to score at over 100 strike rate and give quick starts in the first 20 overs in today’s ODI cricket but all our top order batsmen seem to want to be the anchor and in any big match they fail to even do that properly.

I would rate Imam's consistent run if it was able to accomplish this against first string bowling attacks but he's literally cashed in on minnows + B/C string bowling attacks of the major sides. Are there any memorable innings that you've seen from him that come to mind after his 70 appearances in ODI cricket for Pakistan? The impact of his runs are literally so negligible. Also, his strike rate during the first 10 overs is in the low 70s which is awfully bad.

I know you think he's currently out of form. But that's simply not the case. He's always been woeful against the short ball. That's why he got bounced out by Dutch and Sri Lankan trundlers on slower wickets.

I appreciate it's still early days for Shafique however I strongly believe after 70 ODIs, he would be well ahead of where Imam is now if he can average in the mid-40s and maintain a 90+ strike rate because unlike Imam he won't be stat padding/playing for milestones. He'll actually win matches for the team.

You have to give 15-20 games to Abdullah before you can compare. Imam has been playing ODIs since 7 years

This man should be a consistent part of Pakistan limited overs cricket. I don't mind open him in ODI and T20I cricket. He can replace Imam in the ODIs and Babar in T20I cricket. Babar should play at number 3 in T20I cricket as well like he has been doing in ODI cricket.

After spending time in the Carrabean he even plays like a certain West Indian great now haha

1697989385913.png

Saim Ayub becomes the first batter to score a double 100 and a century in the final of Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

1698147677659.jpeg

Kids in great form recently. Should have been in the WC squad should have played Asia cup before that. No point thinking of it now as we don’t play Odis for a while now what I read somewhere

Looks like ''Saim vs Jaiswal'' thread will be made soon enough after this World cup.
There is already a thread on this.

Saim Ayub is the one who can provide u a quick fire start in power plays, he has that kind of ability.

He can adjust his gears as per the situation of the game.

He is going to be a next superstart for Pakistan Cricket.

Hope the kid delivers for Pakistan. He has to be part of our plans going forward.

Saim Ayub is the one who can provide u a quick fire start in power plays, he has that kind of ability.

He can adjust his gears as per the situation of the game.

He is going to be a next superstart for Pakistan Cricket.

Just like Haider Ali was right?

Some Great shots in Saim Ayub's 100 in 2nd innings of the Quaid-e-Azam trophy final. Double century in 1st innings and century in 2nd innings for Saim Ayub. The young guy is in some form.

He seems to be improving all the time and it is very likely that we will see him play for Pakistan consistently for a long time.

Would you guys want to see him in the test squad against Australia? He plays the short ball well and could be useful on those bouncy wickets.

Or would you want him to play more FC cricket first? He has only played 14 FC matches

seen so many players do it at domestic and league level, as soon as they come up, either they feel too insecure to express themselves, or dont have the self belief that they are good enough, they just fail to progress. i hope saim breaks the trend but ive been around too long to get my hopes up.

Saim Ayub has smashed a remarkable 179 off 125 balls, hitting 11 sixes and 15 fours against Rawalpindi in the ongoing Pakistan Cup. Saim ayub is in some form. Not far away from a national call.

Should be brought into the pakistan odi and t20 squad for Imaam ul Haq

Saim Ayub has smashed a remarkable 179 off 125 balls, hitting 11 sixes and 15 fours against Rawalpindi in the ongoing Pakistan Cup. Saim ayub is in some form. Not far away from a national call.
Imam out- Saim Ayub in

100% deserving of a spot and the right player type too.

Saim Ayub smashed an outstanding 179 featuring 11 sixes and 15 fours against Rawalpindi.

No brainer drop imam and bring in saim for both odi and t20s. And it's high time we move on from Rizwan babar t20 opening experiment as they won't win you any big tournament with that type of old style batting. Bring in saim ayub and not matter how many times he fails give him full year

The same story will continue. He is the next saviour for now, Will be found out in International Cricket.
In 2027 WC people will be calling for his head and calling for him to be dropped after a few failures in WC matches.

He is the only decent young batting talent I have seen in domestic cricket. It is sad to see very little or no talent in Pakistan cricket.
there are few but very raw who need good coaching but our nca is nowhere near as good as Indian nca

It's really foolish to think that he would have caused miracles in this 2023 campaign. He's a talent, no doubt. One for the future, no doubt. But international cricket is a different matter.

It's really foolish to think that he would have caused miracles in this 2023 campaign. He's a talent, no doubt. One for the future, no doubt. But international cricket is a different matter.

No. It was a crime to not include this kid in the WC squad. Especially on Indian pitches. This is what Pakistan lacked compared to other teams. Nothing to intimidate other bowlers so they ran circles around us.

There is a long history of teams playing young inexperienced players that tend to do well in big tournaments. Inzamam is a classic example.

All the more reason to include confident young players because they don't have baggage and play freely.

This was a huge mistake. World cups don't come around often and who knows what things will be like 4 years from now.

It was a choice between Saim and Imam I guess.

No. It was a crime to not include this kid in the WC squad. Especially on Indian pitches. This is what Pakistan lacked compared to other teams. Nothing to intimidate other bowlers so they ran circles around us.

There is a long history of teams playing young inexperienced players that tend to do well in big tournaments. Inzamam is a classic example.

All the more reason to include confident young players because they don't have baggage and play freely.

This was a huge mistake. World cups don't come around often and who knows what things will be like 4 years from now.
Imagine yourself in Imam's shoes and someone tells you that you are being dropped after scoring at an average of 50 for the past 2 years

Because we have to test an unproven nobody

We should avoid apples-to-oranges comparisons of different eras. See how India resisted the temptation to pick Tilak Varma and Yashasvi Jaiswal when KL and SKY were struggling. They gave them confidence and developed their bench. That's what we need to do with Saim and all the other talents in the country.

But if you want to compare Saim with Inzy, then we should note that Inzy had racked up 400+ runs in his first 7 ODIs before the '92 WC. He was not unknown. He had proved himself at the International level. Saim has not (CPL and PSL do not count).

Even if Imam had done in ths 2023 WC what he had been doing all his career, we would be way better off. The problem is that so many (Imam, Babar, Shadab, Rauf, SSA) dropped their game in this WC simultaneously. A couple of players being out of form is okay. But when everybody fails at the same time, you become like England - a total disaster.

saim not playing the world cup is the best thing to happen to him, he played the cpl, domestic and list a and is getting confidence, meanwhile haris, zaman and abrar have been on a holiday.

he'll only answer as many problems for pak as his potential captain lets him, we've had far too many false dawns with aggressive players having a few failures and being curbed into "occupying the crease"

id rather he average 35 odd with a s/r of 100+ than 50 with a s/r of 80

Teams don't include a literally rookie in a WC squad out of nowhere and instead of throwing a rookie in the fire and potentially ruining him & his confidence if he struggles in a pressure situation, he instead got to continue playing in CPL, played in FC & now List A to get the proper domestic experience under his belt.

He will surely be in the T20 squad for the WC.

Saim Ayub scored a brilliant 95 for Karachi Whites against Multan Region in the 2nd Semi-final of Pakistan Cup 2023. He was dismissed by Zahid Mehmood. This young lad is all set for a selection and much needed one to be honest. He has been phenomenal throughout this season.

Played another wonderful no-look shot for six in this innings. Proper dynamic batsman at such a young age.

Lot of clamor around him to be the next big thing. Select him in international cricket now for all formats @Rana
Let's see what he is made off.

No he should not be dumped into Intl cricket because a poster called Rana said it!

He is not ready for Red-ball cricket, yet.

Needs a good FC season.
But for white ball cricket he should be right?
He played a good fast knock in emerging cup vs India in finals..

The same story will continue. He is the next saviour for now, Will be found out in International Cricket.
In 2027 WC people will be calling for his head and calling for him to be dropped after a few failures in WC matches.
Some people might, cause Pakistani awaam is jazbati, however I stand by my players,

I stood by fakhar for this cup, constantly advocating for even am put of form fakhar to replace clown imam lol.

Saim plays for the crest on his chest and that's all I care about.

Reason we hate imam, Babar, Rizwan, Shadab, Nawaz etc is that they all play for themselves,

All the talk about unity, Bro Pakistan cricket team had zero unity amongst itself, you expect fans to be united?

Difference between 2017 and 2023 was that their was unity.

In 2018 to 2019 it became clear Pakistan became overconfident and became this we think we are bigger then we actually are unit and just stopped improving altogether. Then when Babar came the fate was sealed altogether.

But for white ball cricket he should be right?
He played a good fast knock in emerging cup vs India in finals..
He is still very young for that pressure. His performance is undoubtedly been brilliant but will he be able to cope with the pressure of the internationals? Too soon to say he will.

No he should not be dumped into Intl cricket because a poster called Rana said it!

He is not ready for Red-ball cricket, yet.

Needs a good FC season.
Sending him into Australia would be suicide because ik Pakistan management.

India management: KL Rahul is not performing at opening? Hmm, maybe bring him in the middle cause he doesn't play swing well?

If Rahul was in Pakistan

Pcb management: Rahul isn't performing well hmm? Okay let discard him forever and bench him for water boy tours.

They'll just do the same with saim. They already shoved him at no 4. In test opening, he'll obv fail on bilo bouncy pitches however the kid is ready.

You build players on recognising your X factors and giving them 4-5 year runs while working in improving their game.

Talent management is a huge huge insanely difficult process which is why talent management agencies get paid so much. Pcb thinks its a joke. That's the problem with our cricket. That's ironically the entire root cause.

I want Saim to step in the Pakistan Test team with solid performances in FC so that he has the confidence and swagger of a proven performer, not someone who will be constantly looking over his shoulder because some selector brought him in on a whim and he has to prove himself.

Play the lad and let him play for the next 2 years without fear of permanent exile. If he has a bad trot, temporarily relieve him but keep bringing him back.

A great talent. Probably the one of the top or even the best upcoming talent Pakistan currently has batting wise.
The thought of Saim Ayub and Fakhar (when in full flow) opening the batting together is mouth watering.

We should gear him up for the T20 world cup so his focus for now within the international setup should be limited overs cricket.

Saim Ayub scored a brilliant 95 for Karachi Whites against Multan Region in the 2nd Semi-final of Pakistan Cup 2023. He was dismissed by Zahid Mehmood. This young lad is all set for a selection and much needed one to be honest. He has been phenomenal throughout this season.
Decent knock but failed to accelerate after getting set. Started the innings aggressively but after that looked more interested in getting a hundred

Play the lad and let him play for the next 2 years without fear of permanent exile. If he has a bad trot, temporarily relieve him but keep bringing him back.
We tried this with Haider. We tried this with Asif Ali. We tried this with Khushdil.

It doesn’t work. In fact it has the opposite effect and how we destroy talented players completely.

Instead of looking at this failed model of producing players why don’t we look at one that actually worked?

Saud Shakeel was allowed to cook for multiple years in domestics. The outcome was that when he was finally picked he hit the ground running.

Saim is a great talent and will probably make it, but if you rush him you risk losing him forever.

Haider isn’t entirely blameless because we absolutely ruined that kid by mismanaging him completely. We robbed the country of a genuine batting talent.

He will be the next big Thing in Pakistan cricket, his batting is so soothing to eyes. People comparing him to Haid
We tried this with Haider. We tried this with Asif Ali. We tried this with Khushdil.

It doesn’t work. In fact it has the opposite effect and how we destroy talented players completely.

Instead of looking at this failed model of producing players why don’t we look at one that actually worked?

Saud Shakeel was allowed to cook for multiple years in domestics. The outcome was that when he was finally picked he hit the ground running.

Saim is a great talent and will probably make it, but if you rush him you risk losing him forever.

Haider isn’t entirely blameless because we absolutely ruined that kid by mismanaging him completely. We robbed the country of a genuine batting talent.
Sorry Haider Ali's technique is useless and his temperament lets not even talk about it, Saim on other hand is a prodigy. Like we rushed Mo. Amir, I would take him to all International tours and make him play for at least 2yr with or without performance.

Saim Ayub falls five short of a century.He managed to score 95(86) in second semi final of Pakistan cup 2023-24 against Multan.

He is now the highest run-scorer of the tournament with 386 runs (55 average, 121 strike rate)

As good as he is, I don’t think his bat speed is as quick as Imran Nazir and Fakhar Zaman who are more of his build.

With time I think he will get more grip, we can utilize him better in ODIs.

Doubt I am the only one getting Haider Ali vibes.

Same amount of hype and expectation, honestly even less hype and expectation than what Haider had, identical age during the respective times, same so called aggresiveness, same hope from fans that Pakistan cricket is about to change.

Hope I am wrong but things certainly aren't looking good.

Can they give this kid an extended run, what is the hold up.

They are quick to give 50 matches to medicore over the hill 30 somethings.

Doubt I am the only one getting Haider Ali vibes.

Same amount of hype and expectation, honestly even less hype and expectation than what Haider had, identical age during the respective times, same so called aggresiveness, same hope from fans that Pakistan cricket is about to change.

Hope I am wrong but things certainly aren't looking good.
Haider didn’t perform anywhere at his level in Domestic or franchise T20 level.

Saim is improving by the day. Haider thought he was the finished article having achieved nothing

Can they give this kid an extended run, what is the hold up.

They are quick to give 50 matches to medicore over the hill 30 somethings.
They put saim at 4 in t20 so that Bobby and rizzu could be protected from another embrassment

He needs to keep doing well as shows no consistency.In 9 matches in paksitan cup he has made 160 ....95 today and rest of the innings were 20s

He needs to keep doing well as shows no consistency.In 9 matches in paksitan cup he has made 160 ....95 today and rest of the innings were 20s

Have you seen the tournament... it's been a very low scoring tournament with pedestrian SR. Despite some games with low scores, he still has a good SR which is what you want to see. It's good indication that he begins aggressively and stays aggressively and when its his day, he can be destructive.

I am sure he could accumulate runs with lower SR but no one wants that.

What a brilliant pull shot at fine leg by Saim Ayub.

This shot has become a trademark for him.

1700253829414.jpeg

Back