[VIDEOS] What criteria have been used to select the Pakistan squad for the upcoming Test series against England?

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Honestly, I'm yet to get my head around PCB's selection for the test series against England. The cricketing fan in me had been eagerly waiting and holding its breath for the squad to be announced, but what I got instead was a mixed bag of shock, confusion, and a bit of humor. They seem to have torn out a page from an almost mythical novel, where the characters are chosen by a roll of the dice, a whispered secret, and a pinch of magic dust.

Well, for real, who wouldn't want to know the logic behind the selection process? Was it a thorough analysis of the performances of players in the domestic circuit? Maybe it was just that their knowledge of English conditions gave them the much-needed edge. Or, I dare say, was it the case of "who you know, not what you know"? I have been following cricket for years and still do not make any sense of it. It's quite like trying to solve a jig-saw puzzle with pieces missing.

As I saw the squad, I couldn't help but imagine the selectors sitting in a smoke-filled room, surrounded by cricketing greats, Ouija boards, and a crystal ball. "And the winner of the coveted spot at number three is... Mohammad XYZ! Congratulations, you're playing against England!" It sounds ridiculous, but at this point, I wouldn't put it past them.

On a serious note, this selection process for the PCB does leave one wondering what kind of cricket future Pakistan can hope to achieve with this lot. Will this team surprise us with their skills on the field? Only time will tell. For now, I just have to take a deep breath, put my faith in the selectors, and hope that they know something we don't.

Can only blame selection so much. The players simply don't exist.

Although Shan can be easily replaced it's true.
Yes these are more or less the best domestic performers and players that Pakistan has. I don't know what Aamer Jamal's pace will be coming back from our injury, but barring him there is not a single bowler in there that can clock 140+ consistently. Damning indictment of the state of our cricket. You're right the selectors can't be blamed too much. With the exception of Shan Masood this is the best squad of players they could have selected.

Even if there are no new players worthy of being in playing XI , players like Abdullah , Shan , Shaheen and Saim still doesn't deserve to be in the playing XI.

It's extremely disappointing to see that upcoming U21 talent is simply far behind even when compare to minnow teams young talent like BD and SL , I am expecting a Pak becoming associate level team in the next decade.

Players like Azan , Saad Baig , Haseeb ,Ali Asfand etc will not even get in to BD and SL U19 teams.

WHat is the criteria for Shaheen's selection???

Jason wanted him to learn from his mistakes and he also mentioned that shaheen's mistakes were pointed out and he will work on those shortcomings. Has he done that???

He is probably the worst bowler in the one-day cup again. Still gets into the team.

Last edited:
WHat is the criteria for Shaheen's selection???

Jason wanted him to learn from his mistakes and he also mentioned that shaheen's mistakes were pointed out and he will work on those shortcomings. Has he done that???

He is probably the worst bowler in the one-day cup again. Still gets into the team.

@Saj can you please forward this question to Jason Gillespie about Shaheen? Yes interview has been done but..can you just get in touch with him and ask this question..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from Kamran Ghulam who else is missing that people think could have been selected?

Pakistan can win this series if they prepare spinning tracks and if Ben Stokes plays. Either of the two happening boosts Pakistan’s chances by 25%. Both happening means Pakistan’s chances increase by 50%.

There was no criteria, no strategy. As you can see, Kamran Ghulam has been ignored again.

Pakistan can win this series if they prepare spinning tracks and if Ben Stokes plays. Either of the two happening boosts Pakistan’s chances by 25%. Both happening means Pakistan’s chances increase by 50%.
Bro i am your huge fan of your posts what do you think i have a feeling if pak go with spinning pitches multan has some help for spinners you think that should be way to go?

Absolute nonsense.

Khurram Shehzad is by far the best Test bowler, but with this mentality of "this is the best available" then he would have never got a chance.

Same with Mir Hamza.

Ghulam is so far ahead of shan and Abdullah.

Zafar Gohar has picked up 3 5-fers in county cricket, but you're telling me a 40 yr old nauman and Abrar who is clueless about taking wickets in Tests better than him?

Ahmed Shehzad, speaking on his X account, said:

“Today, Pakistan has announced a 15-member Test squad for the series against England, and all the selected players must be thinking to themselves, 'Oh, I've been selected!' Yes, bhai, you have been selected. Mohammad Yousuf sahab has selected you again, but Kamran Ghulam has been ignored once more. And Mohammad Yousuf has not included Kamran Ghulam in the 15-member Test squad."

"You don't seem to understand that Khurram Shahzad is injured. In this squad, Aamer Jamal is not fully fit, and Shaheen Shah Afridi is also not fully fit, yet you haven't included Mohammad Ali in the squad. So it's beyond my understanding that you don't even have options, and secondly, whom should Kamran Ghulam and Sahibzada Farhan hold accountable for this? Just tell me this. How will you justify that you did not include his [Kamran Ghulam] name in the 15-member Test squad list? Why didn't you include his name? What is his sin? Is his only sin that he plays at the same position as Babar Azam? That if Babar Azam hasn't performed in the last 18 innings, then there would be pressure on him?"

"When Yousuf was the coach, he had also placed all responsibilities on 2-3 players. And now, he is sitting as a dummy on Pakistan’s selection board committee and is acting as the selector, along with Asad Shafiq. Just give me one logical reason why Kamran Ghulam is not a part of this team.”

Last edited:
Bro i am your huge fan of your posts what do you think i have a feeling if pak go with spinning pitches multan has some help for spinners you think that should be way to go?
Thanks for the compliment.

Pakistan should go for turning tracks because England batsmen are too comfortable on flat wickets. If the pitches are flat, they will score 450+ every time.

On spinning pitches, they only have Joe Root and to an extent Pope who have the technique to score runs. Pakistan can definitely win this series if they can restrict England to 250-300 type totals.

I think we will see a good performance from Pakistan in this series. No one is giving them a chance after the Bangladesh humiliation but this will not be a walkover for England that’s for sure.

How will Ben Stokes' presence increase Pakistan's chances by 25%?

Shafique should not have been picked on current form as the guy is currently lacking in every format he has played recently.

He's clearly down and out of his depth at the moment and needs proper coaching for a good 6-12 months to get his rhythm back and move his feet.

He needs to concentrate on 4 day cricket and maybe OD cricket and not bother too much with T20 for the time being.

As for Shan, he is another one who has not made his mark as a test captain and this could be a make or break series for him as if he again fails to make an impression, then it should be all over in terms of tests for him.

Yes these are more or less the best domestic performers and players that Pakistan has. I don't know what Aamer Jamal's pace will be coming back from our injury, but barring him there is not a single bowler in there that can clock 140+ consistently. Damning indictment of the state of our cricket. You're right the selectors can't be blamed too much. With the exception of Shan Masood this is the best squad of players they could have selected.
What are the both of you on about? On what basis are these guys your best domestic performers.

Saud, Abdullah, Rizwan, Shaheen and many others all faiked this tournament while players like kamran ghulam, Ali raza had no issue performing?

What are the both of you on about? On what basis are these guys your best domestic performers.

Saud, Abdullah, Rizwan, Shaheen and many others all faiked this tournament while players like kamran ghulam, Ali raza had no issue performing?
What does a Test series have to do with these players failing in a domestic One day Cup ?

I don't rate Abdullah but he has earned the right for one more series as PCB have invested too much in him.

What has Ali Raza done in QEA to be selected in a Test series?

The domestic performers after Khurram were guys like Ali Shafique.

I have no idea but I was assured that he was a trundler and not international standard.

So who will replace Shaheen ? There is no one credible not matter how bad he has been.

Also , which domestic spinner should be selected over an admittedly mediocre Abrar. The spin stocks are so bad they had to go back to Noman :ROFLMAO: .

The only questionable selection is Shan himself and I agree Kamran should come in ahead of him.

Replacing others wouldn't make any difference to this team

What does a Test series have to do with these players failing in a domestic One day Cup ?

I don't rate Abdullah but he has earned the right for one more series as PCB have invested too much in him.

I have no idea but I was assured that he was a trundler and not international standard.

So who will replace Shaheen ? There is no one credible not matter how bad he has been.

Also , which domestic spinner should be selected over an admittedly mediocre Abrar. The spin stocks are so bad they had to go back to Noman :ROFLMAO: .

The only questionable selection is Shan himself and I agree Kamran should come in ahead of him.

Yes it would, this different format drama is overblown. If you're domestic performers in list A ain't performing, then they won't perform in test either.

This isn't a Younis Khan situation lol. I already listed my squad of 15 in the other thread for ct 2025 and the sake squad should have been selected here. The only difference and change I'd make to my og ct 2025 squad is

A) Rizwan > Usman Khan (No choice really, UK is lacking in Test experience)

B) Sarfraz > Irfan Khan niazi for the same reason aka he's lacking.

Bowlers especially pacy bowlers but those who are inexperienced like ali raza should 100% be drafted

1) Kamran Ghulam
2) Babar Azam
3) Saim Ayub
4) Agha Salman
5) Tayyab Tahir
6) Usman Khan
7) Khushdil Shah
8) Haider Ali
9) Irfan Khan Niazi
10) Mubashir Khan
11) Fakhar Zaman
12) Mohammad Husnain
13) Ali Raza
14) Jahndad Khan
15) Naseem Shah

^^ This was my CT squad and it was solely based of who performed in champions one day cup.

Now yes certain tweeks are needed as we cannot play Usman Khan in test atm but based of my squad, how is the current squad any better?

My squad would mollywop what trash heap pcb has sent?

1) Kamran Ghulam
2) Babar Azam
3) Saim Ayub
4) Agha Salman
5) Tayyab Tahir
6) Usman Khan
7) Khushdil Shah
8) Haider Ali
9) Irfan Khan Niazi
10) Mubashir Khan
11) Fakhar Zaman
12) Mohammad Husnain
13) Ali Raza
14) Jahndad Khan
15) Naseem Shah

^^ This was my CT squad and it was solely based of who performed in champions one day cup.

Now yes certain tweeks are needed as we cannot play Usman Khan in test atm but based of my squad, how is the current squad any better?

Haider Ali can be replaced for Sarfraz Ahmed

Irfan Khan Niazi can be replaced by Imam ul Haq (No choice really, don't have a better option)

Usman can be replaced by rizwan

And khusdil can be replaced By abrar because again for lack of better term no choice.

These 4 replacements due to the other guys lacking Test experience but other then that how is my squad worse?

1) Kamran Ghulam
2) Babar Azam
3) Saim Ayub
4) Agha Salman
5) Tayyab Tahir
6) Usman Khan
7) Khushdil Shah
8) Haider Ali
9) Irfan Khan Niazi
10) Mubashir Khan
11) Fakhar Zaman
12) Mohammad Husnain
13) Ali Raza
14) Jahndad Khan
15) Naseem Shah

And that's a fairly decent ODI side . Kudos. I would pick a mostly similar squad too . But they'll get destroyed in Test cricket

I think you need to go look up last season's QeA Trophy stats before asking these kind of uninformed questions.

As for the others, Rizwan has been Pakistan's best batter in Tests over the past year. If anyone walks into this team it's him. I fail to understand why you keep bringing up the performances of players in other formats when talking about tests. This is not a T20 series, what relevance do Rizwan's T20 performances have here?

Saud Shakeel until recently was averaging close to 80 in tests. He had one of the greatest starts to a test career by any player ever. And Shaheen is basically the best or second best pacer that Pakistan has...current form aside. Whether you want to admit it or not, this is more or less the best side that Pakistan has. Contrary to popular belief there are no amazing talents being unjustly kept out of the team. Kamran Ghulam is the only one you can say should have been there.

Ali Raza is 16 years old. Until recently, he was playing the U-19 WC. He hasn't even played a single FC match. In what world does it make sense to select him for the test team? And what relevance do the performances of players in a List A/50 over tournament have on selection for a test match series?

And that's a fairly decent ODI side . Kudos. I would pick a mostly similar squad too . But they'll get destroyed in Test cricket
How so?

1) Saim Ayub (People are backing him anyway)

2) Fakhar Zaman (Dude has 6 FC hundreds and a high score of 205? Don't see why he can't play beyond pakistan's stubborn nature)

3) Kamran Ghulam (No sense in having Shan anyway)

4) Babar Azam (Already plays at 4)

5) Saud Shakeel (Replace Tayyab in my squad for saud as he's been good in domestic)

6) Rizwan/Sarfraz (Replace UK and irfan in my squad for these 2)

7) Agha Salman (Bats at no 7 anyway)

8) Mubashir Khan (Provides 2nd spin option and has 3 hundreds in fc?)

9) Muhammad Husnain (Looks a million dollars atm for pakistan standards and desperately needs more fc and test experience, he ain't a batter, he's a bowler so test will teach him accurate line and length)

10) Naseem Shah

11) Ali Raza (Same reason as husnain)

^^ How is my squad worse and on what basis will it get destroyed or get butchered any worse then what's occurring right now where Bangladesh is wiping their bums on pakistan in their own den?

How so?

2) Fakhar Zaman (Dude has 6 FC hundreds and a high score of 205? Don't see why he can't play beyond pakistan's stubborn nature)

5) Saud Shakeel (Replace Tayyab in my squad for saud as he's been good in domestic)

9) Muhammad Husnain (Looks a million dollars atm for pakistan standards and desperately needs more fc and test experience, he ain't a batter, he's a bowler so test will teach him accurate line and length)

10) Naseem Shah

^^ How is my squad worse and on what basis will it get destroyed or get butchered any worse then what's occurring right now where Bangladesh is wiping their bums on pakistan in their own den?
@RedwoodOriginal ^^

I think you need to go look up last season's QeA Trophy stats before asking these kind of uninformed questions.

As for the others, Rizwan has been Pakistan's best batter in Tests over the past year. If anyone walks into this team it's him. I fail to understand why you keep bringing up the performances of players in other formats when talking about tests. This is not a T20 series, what relevance do Rizwan's T20 performances have here?

Saud Shakeel until recently was averaging close to 80 in tests. He had one of the greatest starts to a test career by any player ever. And Shaheen is basically the best or second best pacer that Pakistan has...current form aside. Whether you want to admit it or not, this is more or less the best side that Pakistan has. Contrary to popular belief there are no amazing talents being unjustly kept out of the team. Kamran Ghulam is the only one you can say should have been there.

Ali Raza is 16 years old. Until recently, he was playing the U-19 WC. He hasn't even played a single FC match. In what world does it make sense to select him for the test team? And what relevance do the performances of players in a List A/50 over tournament have on selection for a test match series?
My thoughts exactly @mominsaigol

How so?

10) Naseem Shah

Hasnain played his last FC match in July 2022.

Mubasir averages 31 with the ball in FC

Ali Raza hasn't played a single FC match

And you want these guys in test cricket? :facepalm:

Blame PCB for not playing a FC season instead of the one day cup. Selecting any other squad would have been a knee jerk reaction except Kamran Ghulam should have been included

I fail to see anything here besides your opinions. Players are selected for international cricket based on performance, not based on what you or I think about them.
Sorry I didn't know I was on an opionated forumn and that every word you speak is an act of god spoken like a priest from the holy gospel.

The squad you sent BASED OF INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE got cremated by Bangladesh, so what's the plan against England? What performance are they showcasing?

Sometimes you need to take a leap and plunge plain and simple.

Ireland will beat you then even in tests
I don't see how any of this is different from what's already happening to pakistan test cricket.

People need to be innovative, not play it safe. You improve on the big stage after taking beatings and playing more. Not hiding and playing less.

First look at my squad before lecturing me, both of you are forgetting that QEA isn't recent, that's not the definition of recent.

What's recent is Bangladesh giving pakistan a horrific medical exam in their own den.
It's the most recently completed FC competition therefore it takes precedence over every other domestic competition. That's how it happens all over the world.

And you don't purge the entire team after losing a series. Even if its against Bangladesh. There is nothing to be gained from something like that. It will only make things worse. And believe me, things can still get much, much worse.

It's the most recently completed FC competition therefore it takes precedence over every other domestic competition. That's how it happens all over the world.

And you don't purge the entire team after losing a series. Even if its against Bangladesh. There is nothing to be gained from something like that. It will only make things worse. And believe me, things can still get much, much worse.
I'll take your word for it then. But I fail to see how things can get better and my goal is to make things get better not worse or stick to the same mantra. Obviously things can get worse, but pcb ain't doing themselves any favours by selecting an even more limited squad with the absence of some players like kamran to face an even stronger team then Bangladesh at their home den.

Sorry I didn't know I was on an opionated forumn and that every word you speak is an act of god spoken like a priest from the holy gospel.

The squad you sent BASED OF INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE got cremated by Bangladesh, so what's the plan against England? What performance are they showcasing?

Sometimes you need to take a leap and plunge plain and simple.
So let me get this straight, your solution to this is selecting guys who are even more inexperienced and unequipped for test cricket?

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. We lost to Bangladesh, so let's select a team of school children because "sometimes you need to take a leap of faith."

I don't see how any of this is different from what's already happening to pakistan test cricket.

People need to be innovative, not play it safe. You improve on the big stage after taking beatings and playing more. Not hiding and playing less.
Innovation is good but being too much innovative can ruin things further. Let them play FC cricket first else you will be without your 2 frontline pacers after first day of the test.

So let me get this straight, your solution to this is selecting guys who are even more inexperienced and unequipped for test cricket?

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. We lost to Bangladesh, so let's select a team of school children because "sometimes you need to take a leap of faith."
Only the bowlers are inexperienced but that's fine because bowlers improve by playing more test not less. Infact t20 cricket damaged pacers like shaheen, Naseem and rauf who no longer had the fitness to bowl 10 overs.

I fail to see how the batters are inexperienced. Players like kamram Ghulam, Fakhar Zaman and Mubashir khan(batting wise) have more then enough fc experience, infact they have more FC experience then Abdullah shafique?

Where was this logic of lack of experience for Abdullah when they brought him in test international and a frontline opener for an odi world cup despite barely playing any list A and having less test experience then his cohorts like kamran at the time?

Innovation is good but being too much innovative can ruin things further. Let them play FC cricket first else you will be without your 2 frontline pacers after first day of the test.
We're already without shaheen anyway, he barely has the fitness to bowl that many overs.

I'll take your word for it then. But I fail to see how things can get better and my goal is to make things get better not worse or stick to the same mantra. Obviously things can get worse, but pcb ain't doing themselves any favours by selecting an even more limited squad with the absence of some players like kamran to face an even stronger team then Bangladesh at their home den.
You need to understand that there are no shortcuts in red-ball cricket. A guy who has not played enough FC cricket is not capable of bowling test match spells. His body will breakdown after the first or second spell. Similarly a batter who has not played enough FC cricket will struggle to structure his innings properly or be able to bat effectively for long periods of time.

In Pakistan's case, besides the obvious lack of skills of the players and the mentally weak mindset, a big issue is the fact that most of them have not gotten ample red-ball match practice. Obviously losing a 2 match series at home to Bangladesh is inexcusable. But at the same time, the PCB does bear some responsibility for not organizing any red-ball cricket over the past year besides one A team series against Bangladesh. And even that did not feature all the first team players.

We're already without shaheen anyway, he barely has the fitness to bowl that many overs.
Picking players who haven't played any FC cricket in 2 years or not played any FC cricket at all isnt thr solution. By the end of Day 1, you will have Shan Masood sharing the second new ball with your 3rd pacer.

Only the bowlers are inexperienced but that's fine because bowlers improve by playing more test not less. Infact t20 cricket damaged pacers like shaheen, Naseem and rauf who no longer had the fitness to bowl 10 overs.

I fail to see how the batters are inexperienced. Players like kamram Ghulam, Fakhar Zaman and Mubashir khan(batting wise) have more then enough fc experience, infact they have more FC experience then Abdullah shafique?

Where was this logic of lack of experience for Abdullah when they brought him in test international and a frontline opener for an odi world cup despite barely playing any list A and having less test experience then his cohorts like kamran at the time?
I'm glad you brought this up because there was zero basis for selecting Abdullah Shafique for test or ODIs, back when he was first selected for Pakistan. And I remember saying this when he was selected. But now, based on his recent domestic performances as well as certain performances for Pakistan, he deserves to atleast be in the squad.

Mubasir Khan could be selected. He has done reasonably well in FC cricket as an all-rounder for a number of seasons now.

Fakhar Zaman has not played a FC match in 3 years so a big no on that one.

I'm glad you brought this up because there was zero basis for selecting Abdullah Shafique for test or ODIs, back when he was first selected for Pakistan. And I remember saying this when he was selected. But now, based on his recent domestic performances as well as certain performances for Pakistan, he deserves to atleast be in the squad.

Mubasir Khan could be selected. He has done reasonably well in FC cricket as an all-rounder for a number of seasons now.

Fakhar Zaman has not played a FC match in 3 years so a big no on that one.
Okay but you wouldn't have known that had the plunge not been taken?

Okay but you wouldn't have known that had the plunge not been taken?
Sure. But not every player may be as talented as him. And that does not change the fact that he skipped the line over other far more deserving performers.

Blame one guy and one guy only it’s Misbah. We should bar Misbah for even talking to our players.

There is no evidence that someone like Ali Raza can even bowl 17 overs a day , sustain pace and not break down.

You'll ruin his career even before it has begun by throwing him straight into Test matches against England.

There is no evidence that someone like Ali Raza can even bowl 17 overs a day , sustain pace and not break down.

You'll ruin his career even before it has begun by throwing him straight into Test matches against England.
Fine, but I still disagree with your squad in that it's the best one. It's total bogus.

Pakistan is shooting itself in the foot by putting all their spin hopes on Abrar. Barring his debut first innings, he has been useless in international cricket. He bowls so slowly that most international batters have enough time to negotiate with him even on a spinning wicket. Should have picked Zahid Mehmood, Zahid can go for runs but can also pick up wickets as well in a bunch.

Blame one guy and one guy only it’s Misbah. We should bar Misbah for even talking to our players.
This is turning into a seriously lame duck excuse. Blame Misbah for everything. It's funny you bring him up though because I don't remember the team being this damn awful under Misbah. For one thing, we were actually winning test series at home. Instead of going on a 10 match winles streaks. Don't recall any losses to USA under Misbah either.

Pakistan is shooting itself in the foot by putting all their spin hopes on Abrar. Barring his debut first innings, he has been useless in international cricket. He bowls so slowly that most international batters have enough time to negotiate with him even on a spinning wicket. Should have picked Zahid Mehmood, Zahid can go for runs but can also pick up wickets as well in a bunch.
I question the effectiveness of mystery spinners in test cricket. Especially long-term.

Also, Zahid is rubbish. Much better off giving chances to Mehran Mumtaz or Zafar Gohar.

One of the unluckiest and most poorly treated players
He is not playing much domestic cricket in Pakistan. If he can repeat his performances here then surely he is the one I would vote for. He is more experienced than all other spinners atm, playing a lot of county cricket for years now.

PCB used criteria that is beyond anyone's understanding. England is gonna feast on this team.

He is not playing much domestic cricket in Pakistan. If he can repeat his performances here then surely he is the one I would vote for. He is more experienced than all other spinners atm, playing a lot of county cricket for years now.

PCB used criteria that is beyond anyone's understanding. England is gonna feast on this team.
I think he doesn't have alot of hope of being selected again. But hey, atleast he is playing FC cricket. Even if its in England. He certainly seems like a more useful option than these journeyman uncles like Nauman Ali and Kashif Bhatti.

Criteria is that there's no one better. Selectors seem to know better than delusional posters who think random XYZ players are going to challenge England.

Criteria is that there's no one better. Selectors seem to know better than delusional posters who think random XYZ players are going to challenge England.
If Shan, Saim And abdullah + Shaheen are better selections made by so-called "KNOW BETTER" selectors after their constant failures then it is not us who are delusional.

Selectors don't know anything. You have no clue how pakistan works and how the system works if you're claiming such and such.

This is not a developed country. Connections determine success in such a nation which is why people seek to leave in three first place.

For example Abdullah was randomly drafted with barely any fc and list A experience and it clearly shows

Selectors don't know anything. You have no clue how pakistan works and how the system works if you're claiming such and such.

This is not a developed country. Connections determine success in such a nation which is why people seek to leave in three first place.

For example Abdullah was randomly drafted with barely any fc and list A experience and it clearly shows
I didn't lecture you at all.

How will Ben Stokes' presence increase Pakistan's chances by 25%?
Because he is finished. He offers nothing with both bat and ball and walks around as if he has escaped from a hospital.

England effectively play with 10 men when he is in the team. The added bonus is the dumb decisions he takes as captain in the name of woke aggression, so I sincerely hope he passes his fitness test and plays in this series.

Wouldn't be so sure
We will be all too happy to prepare pancakes that even a half fit stokes can make merry on

Back