West Indies v India | 1st Test | Kingston | 20-24 June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raina dropped twice in a row!

He is really being shown up here, not playing the quick men well at all.

Why was PK sent ahead of Mishra ?

Because he CAN bat.

Just doesn't apply himself, and frankly I'm quite surprised why the coaching staff have not sorted that out yet.

Hell even Bhajji looks like a batsman these days.

:out

Bahahaha, screwed by the umpire.

Where's the UDRS now, BCCI? :)))

hes played them well enough to score 80+ , just trying score quickly now with wickets falling at the other end

Because he CAN bat.

Just doesn't apply himself, and frankly I'm quite surprised why the coaching staff have not sorted that out yet.

like you said I would rather have some one who tries to stay at the wicket .

not really he knows now that he has to start hitting otherwise wickets will keep falling

Because he CAN bat.

I agree PK is similar to bhajji needs a few aggressive shots to come off before settling down

like you said I would rather have some one who tries to stay at the wicket .

He just missed a straight one, its not like he threw his wicket away. He has made some decent contributions recently in ODIs. BTW, he started his cricket as an opening batsmen

woah what a collapse

Well done WI limiting India to under 250.

India have done well here to be 89/6 and end up with 246 all out is a decent effort

Against a pretty poor W.I team a total of 246 is more likely to feel like 400!

W.I should have had India all out for 150 if they had more killer instinct!

hes played them well enough to score 80+ , just trying score quickly now with wickets falling at the other end

has barely tried to play them, really.

Code:
FH Edwards	19	3	0	0	1	0	0	0		7	23	30.43
R Rampaul	37	3	1	0	3	0	0	0	caught	17	44	38.63
DJG Sammy	13	1	1	0	3	0	0	0		15	18	83.33
D Bishoo	11	6	1	0	8	0	0	0		40	26	153.84
LMP Simmons	1	1	0	0	0	0	0	0		1	2	50.00
BP Nash	0	2	0	0	0	0	0	0		2	2	100.00

all against Bishoo and Sammy, and looked distinctly troubled by Edwards.

I expect W.I to be down 3 wickets atleast by close of play, there batting is their weaker suit!

Still a nice effort from India after that Pathetic start!!

W.I should have really limited India to 140.

Now India should bowl better than what they did in ODI series!!! :imran

has barely tried to play them, really.

Code:
FH Edwards	19	3	0	0	1	0	0	0		7	23	30.43
R Rampaul	37	3	1	0	3	0	0	0	caught	17	44	38.63
DJG Sammy	13	1	1	0	3	0	0	0		15	18	83.33
D Bishoo	11	6	1	0	8	0	0	0		40	26	153.84
LMP Simmons	1	1	0	0	0	0	0	0		1	2	50.00
BP Nash	0	2	0	0	0	0	0	0		2	2	100.00

all against Bishoo and Sammy, and looked distinctly troubled by Edwards.

That shows he can play test cricket . its not about strike rates , but that you can stay at the wicket .

West Indies should be all out for 100 to 120. India is no 1 after all :sachin

Bhajji to take 5fer, whenever he bats well he takes 5fer

Great recovery by India to get almost 250 after being 80 -6.
India have the upper hand now especially with WI brittle line up

WI have a weak batting side so it's not disaster for India. Let's see how Sharma bowls.

Sharma better have radar on him or he will go for plenty against Simmons. If he gets it right he should get plenty of bounce.

Kumar could be a handful in England but needs to up his pace. 78mph isn't going to bother proper test batsmen regardless of it swinging and seaming both ways.

edit. unless you're Asif.

Last edited:
Guys, I can't believe Harper is still umpiring at test level. Hasn't he been omitted from the elite panel?

Must have been masala news, Harper still there grinning away. Hasn't made a howler today though.

Kumar could be a handful in England but needs to up his pace. 78mph isn't going to bother proper test batsmen regardless of it swinging and seaming both ways.

edit. unless you're Asif.

He looked less deadly when his pace dropped tbh. He was past his best in England.

Last edited:
Kumar has an awful run up. Skips, runs,skips and runs again. His pace is going down to 75mph but he bowling a decent line and length.

If only PK was 7-8 mph faster on average, with that kind of swing and control :(

If only PK was 7-8 mph faster on average, with that kind of swing and control :(

I'm sure if he works on his run up his pace will go up. With this is pace the batters can just wait for the ball to pitch and adjust to the movement to play the ball away in the middle of the bat.

Dhoni standing up to opening fast bowler of a number 1 ranked team ....What embarrassment :facepalm: India is making mockery of no 1 test rank

Praveen has bowled a long and tremendous spell. Ishant has bowled well in patches but has been wayward a lot in the last few overs.

Praveen will be handful in English conditions, swinging both ways. Only thing he lacks some 10 miles of pace:(. Good bowling display by the Indian bowlers overall.

I'm seeing Adrain Barath play for the first time, but the guy looks out of depth and has played and missed a lot. Lucky not to nick some close deliveries.

Massive turn and bounce from Mishra but very well played by Sarwan. It will tough for WI against spinners again.

I'm sure if he works on his run up his pace will go up. With this is pace the batters can just wait for the ball to pitch and adjust to the movement to play the ball away in the middle of the bat.

Absolutely agree with this observation.

It is like even if batsmen are squared up by the movement they are able to drag their bats in time to defend at the last moment. Adrain Barath survived at least 3 times like that. If he had a bit of pace, would have either knocked out stumps or got LBWs for those deliveries.

PK needs to be atleast around 82-83 to be a test bowler ...he can be a handful in helpful conditions

Absolutely agree with this observation.

It is like even if batsmen are squared up by the movement they are able to drag their bats in time to defend at the last moment. Adrain Barath survived at least 3 times like that. If he had a bit of pace, would have either knocked out stumps or got LBWs for those deliveries.

Has he been quicker in the past? Also who is India's bowling coach? The guy has a lot of talent, can shape it both ways and seam it both ways at will but isn't using this properly.

Last edited:
Dhoni standing up to opening fast bowler of a number 1 ranked team ....What embarrassment :facepalm: India is making mockery of no 1 test rank
Hey, you cannot classify Praveen Kumar as a fast bowler. He is a medum pace bowler not even Fast Medium. Basically, a decent swing bowler with medium pace. You don't need WK to stand 30 yards behind at his pace.

Has he been quicker in the past? Also who is India's bowling coach? The guy has a lot of talent, can shape it both ways and seam it both ways at will but isn't using this properly.
not really was always around 78-80 someone needs to fine tune his run up and intent . He has a decent build to generate 82-83

Has he been quicker in the past? Also who is India's bowling coach? The guy has a lot of talent, can bring shape it both ways and seam it both ways at will but isn't using this properly.

No KKWC. I have never seen Praveen bowl even at a lively pace. As you said, this guy definitely has the skills to seam and swing and when conditions are helpful can create damage. But, limited amount of pace is his undoing.

India's bowling coach is Eric Simmons. Earlier, we had Venkatesh Prasad as a bowling coach.

As you said in another post, may be he can try with different run-up to improve his pace. At this pace, good batsmen even when they are beaten in the air, can adjust to him of the pitch due to slow pace.

Good pressure by the Harbajhan which gets Barath hitting one, 4 runs but not the bowler wins.

so far I'd say advantage West Indies

Simmons was poor today, he was just trying to last as long as possible until end play. He's best when he's aggressive, looking for runs as we saw in the ODIs. Should have played his natural game today. Just threw his wicket away today. Not such a big loss for West Indies, Simmons hasn't exactly performed to test level anyway. Definitely the one to go in tests, though should be kept for limited overs, when Chris Gayle comes back.

If Sarwan gets out, West Indies might start to panic me thinks

Eric Simmons needs to start earing his wages then. An 82-85 mph Kumar would be lethal in England.

Windies doing well here after the first wicket. Going one down at stumps will be a great day for them.

the track is starting look like a 4th day track ...250 seems a very tough score

34/1 Stumps. Superb day of test match cricket. A good pitch offering something for bowlers and batsmen. WI just ahead but a long way to go yet. Harbajhan was very good, saved the day for India.

Haha FTB's rolled for 246 by the weakest real side in cricket.

Go WestIndies!!! Spliff up maaan!!

Normal service should resume shortly though....

Great Test match wicket, WI need to get a lead and kick on from there. India have work to do.

cricinfo headline - teams even after see-saw day

:))) WI still on top

evens @ EOD .
actually West Indies slightly ahead, I'm a bit shocked that Windies limited them to such a score

Pitch will flatten out a bit when play starts again, and WI have done well to lose just one wicket in tricky conditions. Should cash in tomorrow.

I'm seeing Adrain Barath play for the first time, but the guy looks out of depth and has played and missed a lot. Lucky not to nick some close deliveries.[/QUOTE]

he has not played any competitive cricket since february I think, only the odi against india....that is why he is out of sorts.
when he settles down im sure you will think differently.

looking forward to see bharat score a ton, he is a quality player but plagued by injuries.
This is a perfect opportunity for our batsmen to cash in the pitch is expected to be best for batting over the next 2 days.

Superb day of test cricket.

Pity about our makeshift openers. Thats where we know the value of Sehwag-Gambhir combo.

Mishra/Bhajji now hold the key to this test. If they can get WI out within 100 runs of Ind's first innings total, WI won't stand a chance in this test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back