Who will win the FIFA World Cup 2022 final between Argentina and France?

Who will win the FIFA World Cup 2022 final between Argentina and France?

• Total voters

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
France will be playing in their 4th WC final, hoping to become only the 3rd ever nation to win consecutive titles (Italy '34 & '38, Brazil '58 & '62).

Argentina, meanwhile, will be playing in their 6th final, their last triumph coming in 1986 courtesy of Diego Maradona. This will be a 2nd final for his successor Lionel Messi to win his country a World Cup, the 1st coming in 2014 when they lost in ET to Germany. It will also be the 35-year-old's last ever WC match, and the one in which he will become the most capped player in World Cup history.

The 2 sides met in the RO16 in Russia 4 years ago, when a Pavard Goal of the Tournament and an iconic Mbappe masterclass ripped through Argentina, as France won 4-3.

Will Messi finally reach the promised land to give himself that fairytale farewell? Or will Mbappe and co. spoil the party once more?

Either way, it's sure to be a fantastic final. Vote and discuss!

It is 50-50. Can go either way.

Since France has a weakened side, I say Argentina may win this.

Not convinced about France. Been lucky against England and Morocco so far.

Not sure if Argentina will allow them that luxury.

France is a generational team that has an unrivalled academy. For all the talk of England, France is only just getting started!.

They have way more firepower then any other team and even if Morocco got back in the game, Deschamps has so many options

For a supposedly weaker team, it's still the strongest squad of the tournament

Last edited:
I’m hopping for a Argentina win, but will not mind if France take it home either. France is also a very likeable team

I would like France to win, but don't see them getting past Messi.

That man is a beast. He can possibly win the WC single-handed.

who are France missing besids Pogba that you guys are saying they are a weakened side? Did someone get injured that I dont know of?

Heart says Argentina, mind says France. France is a very very good and fast team overall. They will test Argentina's defense. I have a feeling France will win.

who are France missing besids Pogba that you guys are saying they are a weakened side? Did someone get injured that I dont know of?

Kante and Benzema are missing, but they still have a great side though.

t1EokJ6EjCyloDkfdhkDTa30YuRL3fmNWNibin6iiZAiT5vu6OX4H1i7eA6iXLaqhjFevcqhg4dHj1knhdNneduMWkpu2HqAG92lje693UX8vEP5j5VssfalRQMo5mi2bgGWqO7Wo6-TBxLrqg6jXJE4dv-NoOGnmckCt1OHyEU5mFogB7OxSScccUA=s0-d-e1-ft

France are too strong for Argentina, even in last WC they thumped them 4-1, the pace of Mbappe is too much for old fashioned sluggish Argentina defenders, on paper apart from Messi none of their player is better than France. Barring something special its 1-0 to France

Kingsley Coman is the latest player in #FRA's World Cup camp to fall ill before the final

Karim Benzema could feature for France in the World Cup final against Argentina, despite missing the rest of the tournament through injury.

Benzema was ruled out of the World Cup after picking up a thigh injury in training in Qatar on the eve of the tournament. He flew back home to Madrid to begin work on his recovery and that appeared to be the end of his chances of playing in the tournament.

The 34-year-old’s muscle tear was given a three-week healing time and he left Doha believing he was going to be replaced in the squad. He joined the likes of Paul Pogba, Lucas Hernandez, Presnel Kimpembe, N’Golo Kante and Christopher Nkunku in missing the tournament through injury.

"I've never given up in my life but tonight I have to think of the team, as I have always done," he wrote on Instagram at the time. "So reason tells me to give my place to someone who can help our squad have a great World Cup.”

However, manager Didier Deschamps opted not to replace Benzema on the eve of France’s first game against Australia. Instead, he has worked with 25 players in Qatar, rather than 26, and has taken Les Bleus to the final following a 2-0 win over Morocco on Wednesday night.

Benzema remains listed on the official FIFA squad for the World Cup. After recovery sessions and a holiday, the Ballon d’Or winner is now back in full training with Real Madrid and, according to Mundo Deportivo, he could return to Qatar before the final.

There is Benzema, Kante, one Hernandez brother, Coman, Nkunku, though not sure how much Maignan and Kimpembe are being missed.

Hoping for France to win their 2nd WC on the trot, what an achievement it be for the future GOAT Mbappe at such a young age.

Hugo has been wonderful and that will be an issue for Argentina to score, the best thing is both are pretty offensive teams and hopefully play to their strengths, althought Argentina has to have a plan for France's midfield.

Irrespective two best teams have made it to the Finals , hoping Argentina can win it but again France are not there to make the numbers they would also want to part of history.

World Cup 2022: How Julian Alvarez is proving key for Argentina

Argentina captain Lionel Messi has called Julian Alvarez "spectacular" and "extraordinary" after the 22-year-old's double against Croatia helped them into the World Cup final.

Manchester City's Alvarez took his goal tally to four, one behind joint top scorers Messi and Kylian Mbappe.

Argentina, who last won the World Cup in 1986, face France on Sunday.

"Nobody imagined Julian would have the participation and importance he has shown," said Messi.

"The help he has given us has been absolutely spectacular."

Messi, 35, has dominated the headlines in Qatar, with a string of starring performances in what he has confirmed is his fifth and final World Cup.

He has scored five and created three of Argentina's 12 goals - leaving Alvarez's contribution to go a little under the radar.

The young striker was not expected to feature prominently for Argentina this tournament and only made substitute appearances in their shock opening defeat by Saudi Arabia and the win over Mexico, with coach Lionel Scaloni initially preferring Inter Milan's Lautaro Martinez.

Alvarez has started the four matches since, though, culminating in his impressive display in the 3-0 semi-final victory, in which he was brought down for Messi's penalty opener, before scoring the next two goals himself.

"During the whole World Cup, but also on Tuesday, he was extraordinary," added Messi. "He ran everything. He fought for everything - creating chances, fighting. For us, he was the surprising discovery, and he deserves everything that has happened to him because he is a lovely guy."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63970188

The France national football team was given a huge blow right before the start of the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar as their superstar striker Karim Benzema was ruled out of the tournament without playing a single game. France decided not to pick a replacement for Benzema and the official Les Bleus squad still has his name on the roster. Now, a rumour has emerged suggesting Benzema could be fit to play in the Final between France and Argentina. When France coach Didier Deschamps was asked about the same, he wasn't happy.

During a press conference, Deschamps was asked if Benzema could be available for the title-decider on December 18. The coach outrightly refused to entertain the question, saying: "I don't really want to answer that question. Next question."

Earlier, when he was asked about Benzema's situation, Deschamps gave a sharp retort, suggesting the journalist knows a lot more about the striker's situation, in comparison to him.

"Wow. Well, I'm not sure [what to say], that's really not something that I'm thinking about. You seem to know a lot about the situation but I haven't really been following who has been saying what," he said as per GOAL.com.

If there's even a ray of doubt over Benzema's fitness, France wouldn't want to risk him, considering how well Olivier Giroud has done in the tournament so far, while leading the attack line for the defending champions.

Benzema would also want to be fully fit for the resumption of the 2022-23 club season with Real Madrid, who face Real Valladolid in La Liga on December 30.

NDTV

The gnome-sized Argentinians should get ready for thrashing of a lifetime from dynamite France. I call it 4-0 to Les Blues.

Heart says Argentina, head says France. Two of the best national sides in the world, two of the most deserving teams in the world.

Also a passing of the torch moment between the greatest of all time & the next great player in world football, although Messi at 23 was way, way better than Mbappe at 23.

Mbappe will never by anywhere near Messi & I doubt if he would even reach Ronaldo level who is also not fit to lace Messi’s boots.

Whatever happens in the final, Messi can walk away with pride. He will also become the first player in history to win two Golden Balls at the World Cup.

He couldn’t have done anything more to win a World Cup but if it is not meant to be, it will not happen.

Heart says Argentina, head says France. Two of the best national sides in the world, two of the most deserving teams in the world.

Also a passing of the torch moment between the greatest of all time & the next great player in world football, although Messi at 23 was way, way better than Mbappe at 23.

Mbappe will never by anywhere near Messi & I doubt if he would even reach Ronaldo level who is also not fit to lace Messi’s boots.

Whatever happens in the final, Messi can walk away with pride. He will also become the first player in history to win two Golden Balls at the World Cup.

He couldn’t have done anything more to win a World Cup but if it is not meant to be, it will not happen.

I also think Julian Alvarez is also in contention for winning the Golden Ball but only if he scores at least 2 goals in the final and sees his team over the line. But Messi and Mbappe are favourites to earn this reward.

Maybe at club level. But I guess Mbappe does have a supporting cast of 6-7 world class players unlike Messi.

I also think Julian Alvarez is also in contention for winning the Golden Ball but only if he scores at least 2 goals in the final and sees his team over the line. But Messi and Mbappe are favourites to earn this reward.

I disagree, there is virtually no chance of Alvarez winning the Golden Ball. He is not even in contention.

Messi has won 4 Man of the Match awards. The only player who has an outside chance of eclipsing him for the Golden Ball is Mbappe, but for that he will need to produce a Man of the Match display in the final & he would also need Messi to have a stinker.

As things stand, Messi is pretty much guaranteed & no other Argentinian player has even a 0.1% chance. If Alvarez scores two goals he will get the Golden Boot provided that Mbappe doesn’t score, but there is no possible way he has the slightest of chance of beating Messi to the Golden Ball.

Messi & Mbappe were neck to neck in the Golden Ball race after R16, but Messi did much better in the QF & SF.

Maybe at club level. But I guess Mbappe does have a supporting cast of 6-7 world class players unlike Messi.

Messi was as old as Mbappe is today in the 2010 World Cup, & that Argentinian team was a disaster. The fact that they were being coached by Maradona only made matters worse.

Argentina improved from 2013 onwards, & they have been a top team since 2020 when they finally found a competent goalkeeper & a couple of solid defenders.

This Argentinian side is better than the one that lost the final to Germany 8 years ago & got eliminated by France in the R16 4 years ago.

23 year old Messi would have ran riot if he was playing for this French team. He would be producing Barcelona like numbers.

Mbappe is a phenomenal player but in terms of ceiling, he is more of a Thierry Henry than a Messi or even Ronaldo.

The gnome-sized Argentinians should get ready for thrashing of a lifetime from dynamite France. I call it 4-0 to Les Blues.

If you think France can beat Argentina 4-0 without 5 of their main players, you live in an alternative reality.

Man v Man, France top it....would be a fairytale if Af
Argentina wins it, when was the last time an underdog won a a WC

France’s World Cup final preparations were rocked as three more players were forced to miss training with cold-like symptoms on Friday just two days before their showdown with Argentina.

Raphael Varane, Ibrahima Konate, and Kingsley Coman were all sidelined as Les Bleus prepare to take on Lionel Messi and Argentina in Sunday’s final at Doha’s Lusail Stadium.

The trio of absentees sparked further fears of a mystery virus in the French camp after two players — Adrien Rabiot and Dayot Upamecano — were ruled out of the semi-final win over Morocco.

Rabiot and Upamecano both returned to training on Friday.

Coman, the Bayern Munich winger, had already been forced to miss a training session on Thursday because of a “light viral syndrome”, the French Football Federation (FFF) said.

France forward Randal Kolo Muani sought to play down the illnesses on Friday.

“There is a little bit of flu going around but nothing serious,” he said.

Earlier this week, France coach Didier Deschamps suggested frigid air conditioning might be to blame for the illnesses in the French squad.

“The air conditioning is on all the time and so we have had a few cases of flu-like symptoms but we will try to avoid it spreading,” Deschamps said.

“The players put in so much effort on the pitch and so their immune systems suffer. Your body is weakened and you are more prone to getting infected.”

France is aiming to become the first team to win back-to-back World Cups since Brazil achieved the feat in 1962 as Argentina captain Messi looks to crown his glorious career with the one major title that has eluded him.

Anticipation for the showdown between the European and South American heavyweights is reaching fever pitch, with the cheapest tickets on the secondary market changing hands for more than $4,000.

Ticket protests
On Friday, Argentina fans who have flooded into Qatar for the tournament staged the second day of demonstrations outside a Doha hotel, demanding their country’s national federation help them find tickets for Sunday’s showpiece.

Cintia Echanis, 51, told AFP the protesters wanted access to tickets at face value.

“We don’t want problems. What we want as Argentines is to have the chance to cheer for Argentina again,” she said.

Sunday’s final will bring the month-long football tournament, one of the most controversial World Cups in history, to a close.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino shrugged off criticism of the event on Friday, describing it as the “best World Cup ever”.

“The World Cup has been an incredible success on all fronts,” Infantino added.

“The main one being the fans, the behaviour, the joyful atmosphere, the bringing of people together. The fans meeting the Arab world has been very important for the future of all of us.”

Infantino said the tournament had exceeded revenue predictions in the four-year cycle leading to 2022, rising to a record $7.5 billion — $1bn more than the previous four-year period leading to the 2018 World Cup.

He said FIFA expected revenues to increase to $11bn in the years leading to the 2026 tournament, which will expand from 32 to 48 teams. The 2026 tournament is being jointly hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

“We are bullish about the power of football,” Infantino said. “We are convinced the impact of the game will be massive … It has been massive here and it will be incredible in North America.”

AFP

The entire world is waiting with bated breath to see Lionel Messi come out in the famous blue and white stripes of Argentina in the final of the 2022 FIFA World Cup against France on Sunday. It could be the biggest match of the Argentine superstar's career as he tries to win the coveted trophy on his fifth attempt. Messi, with 5 goals and 3 assists, has already left an indelible mark on this tournament. But the crowning glory of his decorated career would definitely be winning the World Cup, if he goes on to lift it on December 18.

But Argentina fans were left worried as reports surfaced that Messi had skipped training on Friday. A report in The Mirror stated that Messi was seen leaving the pitch, after the 3-0 semi-final win over Croatia, moving awkwardly and clutching his hamstring.

Although no concrete reports of any injury to the superstar have come out of the Argentina camp, several media outlets have suggested that many players who were part of the semi-final were given an extended recovery period and that is the reason some of the skipped practice and instead took part in a gym session instead.

Argentina's goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez had earlier dismissed suggestions that Messi was suffering from an injury. "No, no [he's not injured]. We played 120 minutes against Holland, it was a hard game for him but you can see he wants to finish every game," he told reporters.

"Physically he's really good and he's man of the match every game," he added.

Messi is locked in a battle with French star Kylian Mbappe for the Golden Boot as both men have scored 5 goals so far. France's Olivier Giroud and Argentina's Julien Alvarez are also in the mix, having netted 4 goals respectively.

NDTV

Several France players have caught colds, with Raphael Varane and Ibrahima Konate the latest to fall ill and miss training, the French Football Federation has confirmed.

Defender Dayot Upamecano and midfielder Adrien Rabiot were unavailable for the semi-final win over Morocco on Wednesday because of the illness.

Striker Randal Kolo Muani said the infected were isolating in their rooms.

France face Argentina in the World Cup final at 15:00 GMT on Sunday.

"Those who are sick stay in their rooms," said Kolo Muani. "They're being taken care of by the doctors and we've been enforcing social distancing. We're very strict about it."

Forward Ousmane Dembele agreed, saying the squad "were not scared" of the virus: "We've been taking precautions and I think everyone will be ready."

Boss Didier Deschamps had said on Wednesday he expected Upamecano and Rabiot to be well enough for the final.

However, should Konate and Varane be ruled out, he will have a selection dilemma as he would be without two of his top three defenders.

BBC

I disagree, there is virtually no chance of Alvarez winning the Golden Ball. He is not even in contention.

Messi has won 4 Man of the Match awards. The only player who has an outside chance of eclipsing him for the Golden Ball is Mbappe, but for that he will need to produce a Man of the Match display in the final & he would also need Messi to have a stinker.

As things stand, Messi is pretty much guaranteed & no other Argentinian player has even a 0.1% chance. If Alvarez scores two goals he will get the Golden Boot provided that Mbappe doesn’t score, but there is no possible way he has the slightest of chance of beating Messi to the Golden Ball.

Messi & Mbappe were neck to neck in the Golden Ball race after R16, but Messi did much better in the QF & SF.

I don't expect it to happen but if Alvarez was to produce a hat-trick with Argentina going on to win then I'm certain he'd get the Golden Ball (and Golden Boot). To dominate in a final is worthy of multiple MOTM performances in knockout games.

If he was to score 2 goals or less with Argentina to lift the World Cup then yes I'd still expect Messi to win it instead.

Last edited:
I don't expect it to happen but if Alvarez was to produce a hat-trick with Argentina going on to win then I'm certain he'd get the Golden Ball (and Golden Boot). To dominate in a final is worthy of multiple MOTM performances in knockout games.

If he was to score 2 goals or less with Argentina to lift the World Cup then yes I'd still expect Messi to win it instead.

Even if he Alvarez scores a hat-trick in the final, he has zero chance of getting the Golden Ball. No player has ever won the Golden Ball based on 1-2 performances no matter how great. You need to produce throughout the World Cup to get it.

In 2002, Ronaldo did not win the Golden Ball in spite of scoring twice in the final. Oliver Kahn did who let in two goals in the final & the first one was a huge blunder on his part.

In 1998, Zidane did not win the Golden Ball in spite to scoring twice in the final. Ronaldo did, who lost the final & did not score in the final.

Would Ronaldo have won the Golden Ball in 1998 had he scored 3 instead of 2? Maybe, but the fact that scoring two goals & the eventual winner making a huge error in one of the goals was enough to sway the decision in his favor shows that performing in the final does not have a huge say.

Your performance throughout the World Cup matters more, which is why we have a separate Man of the Match award for the final.

Messi has a 99% chance of winning the Ballon D’Or even if he has a stinker in the final like Oliver Kahn in 2002 and Ronaldo in 1998.

Mbappe has a 1% chance if he does something incredible in the final, considering he has been the distant second best player of the World Cup.

Everyone else, including Alvarez, has a 0% chance regardless of what heroics they might do in the final. No other player has come anywhere close to Messi & to an extent Mbappe when it comes to producing throughout the tournament.

Nonetheless, Alvarez is on a hot streak & his confidence must be sky high. He definitely has a chance, albeit a slim one, of getting the Golden Boot.

France manager Didier Deschamps said it does not bother him "many people" want Argentina and Lionel Messi to lift the World Cup when they meet on Sunday.

Deschamps is aiming to become just the second manager to win successive World Cups after Les Bleus' triumph in 2018.

He also said there was no update on a virus in the French camp, but confirmed all players had trained.

"We are trying to live with it, without going too far and getting carried away, but doing what is necessary," he said.

Deschamps, who also captained France to victory in 1998, was asked whether his squad's injuries, the virus and the "will for Messi to win" had left him feeling "alone in the world".

"I often get that feeling," he replied. "But I am fine being alone. That doesn't bother me.

"I don't have any particular worries or stress about the game. When you prepare for a game like this you need to keep your focus, remain composed, but, of course, in a World Cup final especially you have the match and the whole context behind that.

"Of course, the objective is to come out with the title.

"I know Argentina and many people around the world, and maybe some French people as well, would hope that Lionel Messi could win the World Cup, but we're going to do everything to achieve our objective."

Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema was one of the players Deschamps lost to injury before the tournament kicked off and there have been rumours the Real Madrid forward could return for Sunday's final.

"I don't like talking about this," Deschamps said. "Since that injury and Theo Hernandez's injury in the first game, I've had 24 players and those are the players at my disposal.

"It isn't fair for me to talk about injured players. It is not up to me who comes to watch the game.

"My focus is on the 24-player squad I have and those will be the players at my disposal tomorrow."

BBC

Even if he Alvarez scores a hat-trick in the final, he has zero chance of getting the Golden Ball. No player has ever won the Golden Ball based on 1-2 performances no matter how great. You need to produce throughout the World Cup to get it.

In 2002, Ronaldo did not win the Golden Ball in spite of scoring twice in the final. Oliver Kahn did who let in two goals in the final & the first one was a huge blunder on his part.

In 1998, Zidane did not win the Golden Ball in spite to scoring twice in the final. Ronaldo did, who lost the final & did not score in the final

Would Ronaldo have won the Golden Ball in 1998 had he scored 3 instead of 2? Maybe, but the fact that scoring two goals & the eventual winner making a huge error in one of the goals was enough to sway the decision in his favor shows that performing in the final does not have a huge say.

Your performance throughout the World Cup matters more, which is why we have a separate Man of the Match award for the final.

Messi has a 99% chance of winning the Ballon D’Or even if he has a stinker in the final like Oliver Kahn in 2002 and Ronaldo in 1998.

Mbappe has a 1% chance if he does something incredible in the final, considering he has been the distant second best player of the World Cup.

Everyone else, including Alvarez, has a 0% chance regardless of what heroics they might do in the final. No other player has come anywhere close to Messi & to an extent Mbappe when it comes to producing throughout the tournament.

Nonetheless, Alvarez is on a hot streak & his confidence must be sky high. He definitely has a chance, albeit a slim one, of getting the Golden Boot.

Yeah I actually agree with you now. Alvarez has been good but not even as good as Rodriguez in 2014 who was good but not good enough to earn the Golden Ball in that tournament.

Expecting an absolute classic.

Fingers crossed for Messi and Argentina!

Everyone on this forum wants Argentina to win :))

I support Argentina since 1998.

Why? It is because it is mostly either Europe or South America who dominate World Cups. I tend to support South America more.

Lionel Messi the greatest of all time, says Emiliano Martinez ahead of World Cup final

Emiliano Martinez is ready to fight for glory alongside "the greatest player of all time" Lionel Messi as Argentina take on France in the World Cup final.

Argentina are bidding to emulate the heroes of 1978 and 1986 in Sunday's final at Lusail Stadium, where the reigning champions stand between Lionel Scaloni's side and footballing immortality.

France are looking to become just the third team in history to win successive World Cups and go into the final as slight favourites, but with last year's Copa America triumph and Messi's inspirational quality to call upon, Argentina goalkeeper Martinez is unfazed by such labels.

"Obviously when we won in Brazil the favourite was considered to be Brazil and it happens the same right now," Martinez said. "People can say that the favourites are France, but we have the great advantage to have the greatest player of all time.

"We always like to hear that the opponent is the favourite because we don't feel either superior or inferior to anyone. But, as I always say, we have the greatest player of all time. And with a good defence, we have many chances to reach our goal."

Messi is playing at his fifth and final World Cup and looking to crown a glittering career with victory in Qatar.

"I see him very happy," Martinez said of the Argentina skipper. "He feels very well on the pitch. I saw a great Messi in Copa America. He was an exceptional player, one of the best undoubtedly in Copa America - and in this World Cup he took a step forward compared to Copa America.

"He's playing very well, and this gives so much energy to the whole squad because we have the greatest player. He's excited, he is full of joy and this helps us very much."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ys-emiliano-martinez-ahead-of-world-cup-final

Didier Deschamps: Karim Benzema questions are awkward as France prepare for World Cup final

Didier Deschamps branded questions regarding a potential return for Karim Benzema to the France squad as "awkward" ahead of Sunday's World Cup final against Argentina.

France beat Morocco 2-0 on Wednesday to set up a mouth-watering showdown with Argentina. Straight away, there was plenty of talk around Kylian Mbappe's battle with PSG team-mate Lionel Messi in the final, but also rumours began to emerge about a shock return for striker Karim Benzema.

The Real Madrid forward was ruled out of the World Cup after suffering a thigh injury in France's first training session in Qatar.

Deschamps did not replace him in the squad and it was thought the Real Madrid striker could be available for selection, if he was deemed fit enough.

In his post-match press conference after the semi-final win against Morocco, Deschamps refused to rule out what would be a sensational return for Benzema. The France boss was asked: "There's a report today that Benzema could come back to Qatar. First of all, is it true? And is there any possibility that you could use him for a few minutes if you needed him?"

Deschamps looked exasperated, then smiled and replied: "I don't really want to answer that question. Next question. I do apologise."

Benzema himself appeared to pour cold water on the idea of a return with an Instagram post, saying in French: "Not interested".

Instagram Due to your consent preferences, you’re not able to view this. Open Privacy Options
And in a press conference ahead of Sunday's World Cup final, Deschamps ruled out a return for the Ballon d'Or winner, saying questions regarding Benzema were awkward.

He said: "I have players who have been injured before. Karim is one of them. The last to be injured is Lucas Hernandez.

"Since then, I have 24 players to manage. Asking the question vis-à-vis (with regard to) these players, it's awkward to say the least, if not a little more. The group is there.

"I don't care about invitations from players, former players or injured players. I don't know who will be there. We had a group at the start and who, from what happened... We lost three, with Nkunku at the beginning. They were part of the beginning of the adventure.

"They will be 24 important players for France tomorrow".

Injured France trio N'Golo Kante, Paul Pogba and Presnel Kimbempe are expected to be on France president Emmanuel Macron's flight to Doha to watch the World Cup final.

Christopher Nkunku has received clearance from RB Leipzig to attend the showpiece match against Argentina and could travel with them.

However, it remains unclear whether Benzema will also fly out to support the national team.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...stions-are-awkward-france-fully-fit-for-final

Messi is the Tendulkar of Cricket. A naturally gifted player with zero personality, but 100% stats.

This is Messi's 5th Word Cup? Law of averages says he will win this time, just like Tendulkar did in 2011, not single handedly, but with the help of his team.

This is why Maradonna will remain THE GOAT.

Messi is the Tendulkar of Cricket. A naturally gifted player with zero personality, but 100% stats.

This is Messi's 5th Word Cup? Law of averages says he will win this time, just like Tendulkar did in 2011, not single handedly, but with the help of his team.

This is why Maradonna will remain THE GOAT.

C.Ronaldo is more of the Tendulkar type — a strictly limited interest in team success; more focused on individual records, stat padding, and maximum personal adulation.

Messi is Maradona’s heir apparent.

Argentina's fate been settled

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Drake betting on Argentina to win the World Cup while wearing a Napoli top 🇦🇷 <a href="https://t.co/EfP8OmmMRr">pic.twitter.com/EfP8OmmMRr</a></p>— Italian Football TV (@IFTVofficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/IFTVofficial/status/1604117904018264064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Atmosphere building up at the stadium

aabd40fd-ff09-41f2-9dc2-6d361e33ae77.jpg

Messi sets record appearance
Argentina v France (15:00 GMT)

Lionel Messi becomes the all-time record holder for most games played at the World Cup (26), overtaking Lothar Matthaus (25).

France's Hugo Lloris becomes the first goalkeeper to make 20 appearances at the World Cup.

Messi sets record appearance
Argentina v France (15:00 GMT)

Lionel Messi becomes the all-time record holder for most games played at the World Cup (26), overtaking Lothar Matthaus (25).

France's Hugo Lloris becomes the first goalkeeper to make 20 appearances at the World Cup.

Probably last World Cup for Lloris too. He is 35 now.

Argentina looking sharp in these opening minutes.

France looking a bit static so far.

Argentina winning a lot of the 50/50s.

Clumsy from Dembele that.

Messi was never going to miss that.

Man, Argentina always gets lucky with these penalties, I knew France would concede a penalty.

I don't think that was a clear penalty, I think fifa want messi to have his wish.

Penalty video

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/wgqm3q" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Even if you think it wasn't penalty, Argentina have been the better team thus far. They are attacking more.

That was a penalty. Di Maria tripped. French guy did a foul.

That contact was not hard enough to trip him, he kinda made it look way worse than it was as clearly seen in replays, VAR should have overturned it.

That contact was not hard enough to trip him, he kinda made it look way worse than it was as clearly seen in replays, VAR should have overturned it.

These generally are given penalties.

French guy touched Di Maria's leg and Di Maria fell. That's good enough for a penalty.

Back