Will the batting-friendly pitch in Multan become the worst rank turner for batters in Pakistan's second innings against England in the first Test?

Wil the batting-friendly pitch in Multan become the worst rank turner for batters in Pakistan's seco

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The abrupt change in nature of pitch is not new for Pakistan of late. Just recently they engineered a comical collapse on the 5th Day of the 2nd Test in September. And now when we are observing a run galore at Multan on one of the world's flattest pitch in the first Test between England and Pakistan. A big question is will the pitch remain the same when Pakistan team comes again to bat or like usual we shall witness a typical batting collapse from the Pakistan side under pressure.

So will the history repeat itself or we may see a new version of Pakistan defying the odds of defeat and adamant to play the fire with fire?

It will be a draw and this will give Pakistan a confidence boost for the coming matches

If England gets a lead of 150 plus then Pakistan may collapse. No relationship with pitch. Pressure gets Pakistan all the time.

They have about what 90 overs. 180 overs game left. They are like 64 behind at this point. If they score 5 an over for 60 overs they will get a lead of 200 plus. Precisely 236 runs. Lot of time left in this game.

I had been predicting an innings defeat on the morning of the 5th day.
England will score close to 800 runs and Pakistan will bundle out around 200 in the 2nd innings.

It would have to be a dramatic change in conditions.

Right now that pitch looks like a highway and won't be changing on day 5, 6, or 10. England might position themselves well here but taking 10 wickets in a day looks impossible.

But then again it is Pakistani batting we're talking about.

Don’t think that players will become nervous, they know they have nothing to lose and nothing will happen to them just like nothing happened after BD series , so they will just come out and bat like it in net session and end up the match in draw.

Even if some how they lose the match which is highly unlikely the only changes will be Saim and Abrar because all others have performed in the first innings

Even if it is not a rank turner, Pakistani batsmen have a habitual habit of collapsing in the third or fourth innings pressure.

Even if it is not a rank turner, Pakistani batsmen have a habitual habit of collapsing in the third or fourth innings pressure.
After geting whitewashed by BD, I think Pakistan shouldn't take pressure. Just play like first inning.

It will be a draw and this will give Pakistan a confidence boost for the coming matches

If it’s a draw for Pakistan —

Positive: It stops the losing streak
Negative: Pakistan won a good toss, batted, scored 550, and still couldn’t win. So exactly how or when will they win?

This will be shameful defeat If Pakistan loses after scoring 550 in first innings. A test of the character for many cricketers in next two days both for Pakistan and England. If England wins with this bowling line up, will be a great achievement. Obviously a day 5 pitch will offer some assistance to the spinners but if Pakistan loses it will be due to weaker mindset of this team.

Pakistan will give England hope after a couple of early set backs and it will turn out to be a dull draw with middle order and lower-middle order hodling fort . Maybe a little bit of drama at the end but overall draw.

Seen this many times before on such pancake wickets.

Pakistan will give England hope after a couple of early set backs and it will turn out to be a dull draw with middle order and lower-middle order hodling fort . Maybe a little bit of drama at the end but overall draw.

Seen this many times before on such pancake wickets.
A draw will be a good performance from this position despite scoring 550+

Based on the recent performance chances of draw are less. Pitch will do a bit more for sure

this is a bowler's graveyard. Nothing in it for bowlers. The pitch is playing the role of a bowling machine only.

Pakistan have rolled out the flattest highway of the 21st century. Will make an Arab Sheikh proud.

A draw will be a good performance from this position despite scoring 550+

Based on the recent performance chances of draw are less. Pitch will do a bit more for sure
Nasser Hussain playing mind games on commentary saying pitch is starting to grip a bit with Agha bowling

It’s actually not doing much, but the gorey know how to say things that start playing into the minds of Pakistanis.

Update: This has to be the worst pitch in the history of test cricket.

I want England to score 1000.

Update: This has to be the worst pitch in the history of test cricket.

I want England to score 1000.

Pakistani test pitches truly are the worst and this is one of the worst of all time.

It's been the same for decades.

Pakistan cannot last 80-90 overs in the second innings on any pitch, anywhere in the world.

6 Pakistani bowlers conceded 100 runs each!

That is 1 more than the number of centuries scored in this Test!

MlCMaWg.jpg

1728560019447.png

Teams scoring 550+ in first innings and losing a test match! Pakistan's 556 will be joint 2nd highest.

Pakistan High Performance Coach Tim Nielsen addressed a press conference after day 4 of the 1st Test between England and Pakistan:

"I think you've probably seen over the three Test matches that we've had some really positive moments. We batted very well in the first Test against Bangladesh. We batted very well in the first innings here against Bangladesh. We had them 6 for 26 at one stage in the first innings. Unfortunately, we just haven't been able to play our best cricket for long enough over the five days. That is the challenge of Test match cricket. The team that can play the most consistent and efficient cricket for five days is usually the one that has the best chance of winning. We've made mistakes either with the bat, the ball, or in the field at times in all three games that have ended up being crucial, and in the end, we haven't been able to recover from those positions."

"I think everyone's pretty clear that our best cricket is competitive cricket, but there is quite a big gap between our best cricket and the rest of our cricket, and we need to close that gap so that we're playing closer to our best for longer periods."

"I think we probably thought, with the forecast heat, that the wicket might have deteriorated quicker. It's held together pretty well, hasn't it, over the four days so far? Even this evening with the new ball, the hard new ball hit the surface hard, and there was some movement. A couple of deliveries didn’t bounce, and a couple bounced a bit more. But overall, I think it's been pretty consistent."

"So, I would suggest we would have liked a surface that maybe offered a bit more deterioration so both the spinners and fast bowlers had more of a chance. But once again, we made 550 runs, and then we couldn’t bowl the opposition out for less than 800. They played so well. You know, they were too good for us today. So, while the pitch is important, we just need to play better on whatever surface we are presented with."

Harry Brook during post Day-4 press conference:

“It was an unreal wicket to bat on. I’d probably roll it up and take it with me, especially (how it was on) the third day.”

Jason Gillespie's reaction following Pakistan's defeat to England in the 1st Test:

“I wasn’t upset with the surface here. It’s pretty much what we expected and what we thought was going to be the best opportunity to play well in the game. If you look at our first innings, we put up a score of 550 and that part was fine. No one was saying anything about the surface then. It was only when we didn’t get our plans right and execute our skills with the ball that everyone started to talk about the surface.”

Jason Gillespie's reaction following Pakistan's defeat to England in the 1st Test:

“I wasn’t upset with the surface here. It’s pretty much what we expected and what we thought was going to be the best opportunity to play well in the game. If you look at our first innings, we put up a score of 550 and that part was fine. No one was saying anything about the surface then. It was only when we didn’t get our plans right and execute our skills with the ball that everyone started to talk about the surface.”
is Gillespie trolling or out of his mind? how is this their best opportunity to win a test match? In what world do they have batting class to match that of England. On a flat surface, England will pretty much out bat anyone and their bowling is same as Pak with a better spinner. Where is the edge for Pakistan to win "pull forward" as he was indicating? Pakistan's best chance is on a slight turner or a Spicer pitch where their local bowlers can exploit the conditions more than the opposition. I will also trust Pak to out bat England on a slightly spinning pitch.

We all knew it all along Pakistan team would collapse under pressure. The current lot are ruining the legacy of Pakistan cricket.

is Gillespie trolling or out of his mind? how is this their best opportunity to win a test match? In what world do they have batting class to match that of England. On a flat surface, England will pretty much out bat anyone and their bowling is same as Pak with a better spinner. Where is the edge for Pakistan to win "pull forward" as he was indicating? Pakistan's best chance is on a slight turner or a Spicer pitch where their local bowlers can exploit the conditions more than the opposition. I will also trust Pak to out bat England on a slightly spinning pitch.
I think he is just using boiler plate language here and can be ignored.

Pakistan is not likely to pick 20 wickets on super flat tracks. Chance of picking 20 wickets will a whole lot higher on balanced pitches.

Pakistan's cricket is struggling due to a major problem, poor pitch quality. This issue makes matches boring and fans unhappy.

Pakistan's pitches are usually flat and slow, favoring batters. This leads to high-scoring draws with no thrilling moments.

This hurts our fast bowlers, who can't develop their skills without helpful conditions. Our historic strength in fast bowling is declining. Spin bowlers also struggle on these pitches, making it hard for them to grow.

Batters get high scores, but it's misleading. They don't develop skills to face top bowlers on challenging pitches. When they play internationally, they struggle.

Pakistan's cricket future depends on solving this pitch problem. The board must prioritize pitch quality to revive exciting matches, grow player talent, and win back fans.

What a pity, it is reverse swinging now and we don't have any credible seamer. Naseem Shah must be laughing now
Their genius team-selection strategy has been exposed before they have even bowled a ball. They are without a doubt the dumbest team playing test cricket.

Still looks flat once the ball gets older.
400 is something Pakistan should target bare minimum to have a chance of taking lead.

Back