Will we ever see a batsman who'll average 50 in all three formats?

The answer to this thread yet again, is Babar Azam. Kohli can become the second batsman to get to this landmark though.

Thanks Mate,looks like Babar might be the second batsman to do it now,you could still create prediction that Babar might hold on to it for longer time if you like.

Last edited:
Hail the master King Kohli.....First Batman to have 50+ average in all the formats...Undoubtaly best batsman in the generation...
Can we ever see a batsman having no.1 ranking in all the formats.???

Thanks Mate,looks like Babar might be the second batsman to do it now,you could still create prediction that Babar might hold on to it for longer time if you like.

Umm Babar Azam was the first one to get there....

Once you become first to get there and then lose that average later it doesn't mean you didn't get there in the first place

Hail the master King Kohli.....First Batman to have 50+ average in all the formats...Undoubtaly best batsman in the generation...
Can we ever see a batsman having no.1 ranking in all the formats.???

Again.. Not the first one

Obv Kohli is a better batsman but strictly speaking to the point of the thread then Babar Azam was first

Lol cmon guys Babar has played like 3 T20Is :))

Kohli :bow:

we're just talking about a record here

whose saying babar is in anyway better or maybe better than kohli?

we're just talking about a record here

whose saying babar is in anyway better or maybe better than kohli?

Never said anyone was comparing.

I really rate Babar (think it's obvious), but don't see him maintaining a 50+ average in T20Is over a long period of time. Could average 35-40+ maybe.

Once you become first to get there and then lose that average later it doesn't mean you didn't get there in the first place

Fair enough,Kambli s bowling average is better than imran,wasim ,marshall,Starc,Mcgrath just speaking in statistics pov.

yes but in records that doest matter

so Jaded or anyone else in wrong in saying Kohli was first

Every cricket record be it cricinfo articles or TV analysis (Star, Sky, etc) comes with a qualification criteria. The ones that don't are records of who was the fastest to score XYZ runs or take XYZ wickets.

Every cricket record be it cricinfo articles or TV analysis (Star, Sky, etc) comes with a qualification criteria. The ones that don't are records of who was the fastest to score XYZ runs or take XYZ wickets.

i meant in such kind of records

here it was being talked about being the first one to average 50+. in that context it is defintely Babar.

Fair enough,Kambli s bowling average is better than imran,wasim ,marshall,Starc,Mcgrath just speaking in statistics pov.

Dont know but if it was then yes that is a fact

But its not a record or anything is it?

Im not even talking about who is better. Im talking about getting a record first.

Its same as first ever bowler to take take 100 wickets will always be the first to do that. Ofcourse that doesnt make him better than others who did it later.

I was just pointing out the factual inaccuracy from you and few others. thats it

Yep. This is that kind of record

Most importantly some common sense. For instance nobody will consider Andy Ganteaume as the batsman with highest batting avg.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...batting_average;template=results;type=batting

Babr azams "Record" falls in the same category.

Dont know but if it was then yes that is a fact

But its not a record or anything is it?

Im not even talking about who is better. Im talking about getting a record first.

Its same as first ever bowler to take take 100 wickets will always be the first to do that. Ofcourse that doesnt make him better than others who did it later.

I was just pointing out the factual inaccuracy from you and few others. thats it

True as i said in my earlier post,its my bad I guess I was ignorant about it.

hats off to him.
even though i dont like him.
will be good to see hownhrbgoes against amir n asif in the chpions trophy in england next year!?

Yep. This is that kind of record

Any record about averages comes with a qualifier.

Which player takes a 5fer or 100 in debut test...which player has 3 100s in his first series...are the kind of records where there is no need for qualifier. Pure runs or wickets are the ones without qualifiers.

If we discuss, which player averages sub 20 with the ball and 50+ with the bat.....the first thing that everyone would do is decide on a qualifier (whatever it may be).

Or else you will have people like Jayant Yadav making the list.

Also did Babar Azam get to remain 50-50-50 once a match was over? Wasn't he above 50 during an innings and dropped below it once the test ended.

There are 2 ways to looking at it.

Both sides understand both point of views.

But its just that Babar played 3 tests...4 T20s and 18 ODIs.

With such low samples in 2 out of 3 formats, you won't say they are first cos numbers wildly fluctuate (for many) at the start of career.

Again comprehension fail...

Nobody ever considers Avg of a batsman half way thru his first test match as any sort of record. ( If they do then Andy certainly holds the "record" for being the first batsman to **finish** with 100+ avg ... ) Prove it and then I will happily re-cant my post with an apology. Your word or anybody else here on PP isn't proof. Try contacting some professional cricket statisticians to get started. Fair ?

Well we did know Kohli will eventually get here and this despite the no. of games he's played across formats is tremendous achievement. He's really living up to his potential and probably exceeding it as well. Dear god, why isn't an England tour in the near future :( It would have been so exciting to see red hot Kohli avenge the 2014 horrors

i meant in such kind of records

here it was being talked about being the first one to average 50+. in that context it is defintely Babar.

Babar got there first. Congrats.

With such low samples in 2 out of 3 formats, you won't say they are first cos numbers wildly fluctuate (for many) at the start of career.

Well technically he has been the first batsman to average 50+ in 3 formats at same time. Doesn't matter if its just 1 game each.

However when you analyse it, obviously no one will give Babar's achievement much weightage except that it just shows what potential he's got.

As far as Kohli doing the same thing carries more weight because of his no. of games.

But first one to reach there will remain Babar although seeing the thread if Virat maintains it then its a big thing and he qualifies for the thread,I guess a lot of users including myself didn't even realize Babar actually hit that mark irrespective of matches he is first however unfair it may seem.

Well we did know Kohli will eventually get here and this despite the no. of games he's played across formats is tremendous achievement. He's really living up to his potential and probably exceeding it as well. Dear god, why isn't an England tour in the near future :( It would have been so exciting to see red hot Kohli avenge the 2014 horrors

We are not yet ready for an English tour but we are getting there.

Many chinks in our armour (batting and bowling). Will take a while to sort out and figure out who stands where in our lineup.

We are not yet ready for an English tour but we are getting there.

Many chinks in our armour (batting and bowling). Will take a while to sort out and figure out who stands where in our lineup.

I agree, it is just I would love to see Kohli in this form tour England. 2018 is just too damn far away.

But first one to reach there will remain Babar although seeing the thread if Virat maintains it then its a big thing and he qualifies for the thread,I guess a lot of users including myself didn't even realize Babar actually hit that mark irrespective of matches he is first however unfair it may seem.

First of all, no issues if Babar really did reach there first (from a technical...non sample set point of view).

But did he AFTER a match ended and not during his innings?

Don't think so.

Also for all intent and purposes.....I don't see why we are having this debate.

Either ways...it matters so little. :))

Babar Azam got there for one innings. But as soon as that match was over (after his second innings), he lost the record. What matters is who has held the record after a completed match.

Even Kohli hasn't gotten the record yet because the match isn't over.

Last edited:
First of all, no issues if Babar really did reach there first (from a technical...non sample set point of view).

Don't think so.

It was only after the first innings. After the match, his test average was below 50.

Nobody ever considers Avg of a batsman half way thru his first test match as any sort of record. ( If they do then Andy certainly holds the "record" for being the first batsman to **finish** with 100+ avg ... ) Prove it and then I will happily re-cant my post with an apology. Your word or anybody else here on PP isn't proof. Try contacting some professional cricket statisticians to get started. Fair ?

Well then that just blows the whole theory of Kohli being the first one as well lol

Atleast pick your points before the argument than picking and choosing what suits you

Babar Azam got there for one innings. But as soon as that match was over (after his second innings), he lost the record. What matters is who has held the record after a completed match.

Even Kohli hasn't gotten the record yet because the match isn't over.
That is fair

I was replying to posters celebrating Kohli getting the record so by using their yardstick he didn't reach it first

Don't think so.

Lol so much debate over the record.:yk

Anyway records involving career averages are always measured with a qualification period to filter out the outliers. Which is why you don't talk about Voges' career average so much because the small sample size negates its legitimacy. Records involving aggregate runs are measured as such as they record who is the fastest to which landmark.

None has achieved it yet including Kohli (mometary records don't count) but he has the best chance of doing it out of anyone present atm.

Well then that just blows the whole theory of Kohli being the first one as well lol

Atleast pick your points before the argument than picking and choosing what suits you

If you look at my post earlier ... I have asked to wait .... so yeah I agree that Kohli hasnt gotten there yet.

All of us have together jinxed Kohli :))) by end of the match he won't be at the same stat

Even for the briefest period nobody has achieved this. To be fair to other greats many did not get to play T20. But averaging 50 in T20 is lot harder than in ODI .

No one has reached 50 average in all formats yet. If Kohli has 50+ average in tests after the completion of this match, then he will be the first and the only one to achieve this feat. I don't think this will record be broken ever any any other player with a good enough sample set.

I hope Kohli scores triple century today.

I have way too much respect for Kohli. I hope he achieves this by the end of this inning. :kohli

In T20 the gulf between Kohli and other batsman is massive.
Player Mat Runs Ave SR 50 4s 6s
V Kohli (INDIA) 45 1657 57.13 135.48 16 176 32
AJ Finch (AUS) 28 974 38.96 150.07 6 101 42
JP Duminy (SA) 70 1654 38.46 123.61 9 122 56
MEK Hussey (AUS) 38 721 37.94 136.29 4 58 25
KP Pietersen (ENG) 37 1176 37.93 141.51 7 119 32
F du Plessis (SA) 35 1093 37.68 132.64 7 101 32
Misbah-ul-Haq (PAK) 39 788 37.52 110.2 3 45 26
JE Root (ENG) 21 600 37.5 137.29 4 64 14
MS Dhoni (INDIA) 73 1112 35.87 122.33 0 75 34
BB McCullum (NZ) 71 2140 35.66 136.21 13 199 91
CH Gayle (WI) 50 1519 35.32 145.49 13 130 98
JH Kallis (SA) 25 666 35.05 119.35 5 56 20

Last edited:
All of us have together jinxed Kohli :))) by end of the match he won't be at the same stat

Needs 29 more (Or needs to remain Not out). At Lunch time Day 4 he has 4171 career runs in 89 inngs 7 Not outs. If he gets 29 more in this Test his avg wont go below 50 (Even if he gets out in both inngs of this Test ).

Not that it was actually a serious discussion

50.53 Kohli's Test average after his 235, the first time his Test average has gone past 50. He also averages 52.93 in ODIs, and 57.13 in Twenty20 internationals, making him the first batsman to simultaneously average more than 50 in all three formats in international cricket.

What if he gets out for a duck in 2nd innings ? :srt

Still his average wont go below 50 in this test. He has 94 runs in the bank to maintain a 50 average. So even if he gets out for 0 in the 2nd innings and 6 runs in the 1st innings for the next test, he will maintain a 50 average. Would need to score a 50 in the 2nd innings of the final test to maintain an average 50 at the end of the next test.

Still his average wont go below 50 in this test. He has 94 runs in the bank to maintain a 50 average. So even if he gets out for 0 in the 2nd innings and 6 runs in the 1st innings for the next test, he will maintain a 50 average. Would need to score a 50 in the 2nd innings of the final test to maintain an average 50 at the end of the next test.

Awesome.Officially the first then :kohli

Huh? Didn't this play out exactly like I said it would?

No. Kohli is the only player to achieve this record. Records at certain moments of time (like in the middle of an innings or a match) don't matter.

No. Kohli is the only player to achieve this record. Records at certain moments of time (like in the middle of an innings or a match) don't matter.

False. Babar averaging above 50 in all three formats in the middle of a match.

Of course, these sort of batting records are given much more importance in India than anywhere else in the world. Reminds of how much hype there was for Kohli breaking Viv's fastest to 5000 ODI runs mark and then Amla breaks it comfortably but there wasn't much coverage.

No thats not true .... if he scores a duck in the 2nd inngs today .. his avg will drop to 49.90. = 4194 / (90 - 6) = 4194/84 = 49.93.

Thats why it wont be official till the match ends.

Kohli needs to score 6 runs in 2nd innings to have 50 average and thus become the first ever player to achieve it.

No thats not true .... if he scores a duck in the 2nd inngs today .. his avg will drop to 49.90. = 4194 / (90 - 6) = 4194/84 = 49.93.

Thats why it wont be official till the match ends.

Sorry. I got it wrong. He has 44 runs in the bank, and not 94.

In the next test, of he scores 56 in both innings combines, he will maintain that average.

Officially Kohli does it.

And Babars doesnt count because at the end of the match his avg was below 50 in tests.

False. Babar averaging above 50 in all three formats in the middle of a match.

Of course, these sort of batting records are given much more importance in India than anywhere else in the world. Reminds of how much hype there was for Kohli breaking Viv's fastest to 5000 ODI runs mark and then Amla breaks it comfortably but there wasn't much coverage.

Records are updated at the end of a match and not in middle of it.So Babar never had the record.

Its amusing to read your bitter posts about Ashwin and Kohli and India as a whole.Makes it sweeter.

Officially Kohli does it.

And Babars doesnt count because at the end of the match his avg was below 50 in tests.

Where is the rule which says that it counts at end of match and not completed innings :nehra

Congrats to Kohli for being only the second batsman to achieve this feat. Great moment for him.

As a converse, where is it written that in game avg is gonna be considered as a solid instance?

A winner is never declared/decided in the midst of a race. Only when the tape is breached the final picture shows up.

Where is the rule which says that it counts at end of match and not completed innings :nehra

Because stats are updated post completion of a match not an innings.This is because outs or not outs and each ball bowled or played or and each run scored changes the stats.

Because stats are updated post completion of a match not an innings.This is because outs or not outs and each ball bowled or played or and each run scored changes the stats.

Gee, I was just trying hand at some ridiculous theories a la bilal and slog :ajmal,
but if this is indeed the case, it could be fun :kp

Records are updated at the end of a match and not in middle of it.So Babar never had the record.

Its amusing to read your bitter posts about Ashwin and Kohli and India as a whole.Makes it sweeter.

You're missing out on a lot of sweetness. :))

Back