Windies already beaten: why aren't the players already in New Zealand?

Junaids

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Pakistan drew the series in England 2-2 in part because they arrived 4 weeks before the First Test started.

They have already won the series against the West Indies. And the First Test in New Zealand starts in 19 days' time. Just 14 days after the Sharjah Test finishes.

This is a comedy of errors.

The Tests should have preceded the ODI and T20i series, and the Test players should already be in New Zealand (or Australia) while we watch Sharjeel Khan and Hasan Ali play against the West Indies in the Limited Overs series.

But even with that mistake having occurred, this should not be happening now.

In my opinion, the Pakistan Test team tomorrow should retain very few of the first choice players.

I would be fielding the following team against the West Indies, coached by Steve Rixon:

1. Salman Butt
2. Mohammad Hafeez (yes, seriously)
3. Younis Khan
4. Mohammad Rizwan
5. Misbah
6. Iftikhar Ali
7. Kamran Akmal (wk)
8. Mohammad Nawaz
9. Zulfiqar Babar
10. Imran Khan
11. Mohammad Asif

Meanwhile, the following players would - and should - already be in New Zealand or, preferably, Australia, under Mickey Arthur.

1 Azhar Ali
2 Sami Aslam
3 Asad Shafiq
4 Babar Azam
5 Umar Akmal
6 Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
7 Aamer Yamin
8 Yasir Shah
9 Wahab Riaz
10 Mohammad Amir
11 Rahat Ali

Even if Pakistan sweeps the West Indies 3-0, their Test ranking can't improve.

But winning in New Zealand and Australia is everything. So why are they fielding the full team in Sharjah?

Pakistan drew the series in England 2-2 in part because they arrived 4 weeks before the First Test started.

They have already won the series against the West Indies. And the First Test in New Zealand starts in 19 days' time. Just 14 days after the Sharjah Test finishes.

The Tests should have preceded the ODI and T20i series, and the Test players should already be in New Zealand (or Australia) while we watch Sharjeel Khan and Hasan Ali play against the West Indies in the Limited Overs series.

In my opinion, the Pakistan Test team tomorrow should retain very few of the first choice players.

I would be fielding the following team against the West Indies, coached by Steve Rixon:

1. Salman Butt
3. Younis Khan
4. Mohammad Rizwan
5. Misbah
6. Iftikhar Ali
7. Kamran Akmal (wk)
8. Mohammad Nawaz
9. Zulfiqar Babar
10. Imran Khan
11. Mohammad Asif

Meanwhile, the following players would - and should - already be in New Zealand or, preferably, Australia, under Mickey Arthur.

1 Azhar Ali
2 Sami Aslam
3 Asad Shafiq
4 Babar Azam
5 Umar Akmal
6 Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
7 Aamer Yamin
8 Yasir Shah
9 Wahab Riaz
10 Mohammad Amir
11 Rahat Ali

But winning in New Zealand and Australia is everything. So why are they fielding the full team in Sharjah?

First time I have heard this. Kinda flattering. Thanks. :)

Totally agree with this, but what if Hafeez gets a daddy hundred vs West Indies?! Then we'd HAVE to play him..

Sorry but this is not the way to treat a visiting team.

We need to show respect and play close to our best XI. The schedule might be wrong but that is what it is.

1. Salman Butt
3. Younis Khan
4. Mohammad Rizwan
5. Misbah
6. Iftikhar Ali
7. Kamran Akmal (wk)
8. Mohammad Nawaz
9. Zulfiqar Babar
10. Imran Khan
11. Mohammad Asif

1 Azhar Ali
2 Sami Aslam
3 Asad Shafiq
4 Babar Azam
5 Umar Akmal
6 Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
7 Aamer Yamin
8 Yasir Shah
9 Wahab Riaz
10 Mohammad Amir
11 Rahat Ali

A little correction, if PAK don't win 3-0, they'll lose 1 point & the team you posted for 3rd Test, if the series ends up 2-1, PAK will lose 3 points.

Must say, the idea is innovative though - that'll help Butt & Asif play one more Test at least.

Kamran, Zulfiqar, Iftikhar, Hafeez, Butt?

Yeah, no.

We'll actually lose with such a team.

The 3rd test has an implication on the rankings.

You have to play your best team because a loss is going to harm us. It's as simple as that.

Lmao OP thinks cricket is a video game where you fly off people one place and play a totally different team

Also nice way to sneak in Salman Butt into the team :)))

Maybe for most Asian teams he would be correct

But prolly NZ is one team we've always had the number over away. I mean in last 15 years we've won two series in NZ itself and drawn one. And in 80s and 90s it often used to be a riot there

If Pakistan think tank only put half the effort Junaids does

Some of the players, around 3-4 you can possibly rest and fly to New Zealand early but the whole team ? Your having a laugh, we're not some ATG outfit that has world class players waiting in the reserves.

Fawad Alam and Umar Akmal can hardly be described as potentially great players at this point in their careers.

But prolly NZ is one team we've always had the number over away. I mean in last 15 years we've won two series in NZ itself and drawn one. And in 80s and 90s it often used to be a riot there

Haven't lost a Test series vs NZ since 1985.

Winning vs them doesn't really mean much.

Pakistan never beat NZ in the 80's , when NZ were at their strongest.

Lool such unrealistic expectations here. That team you have picked to play west indies is rubbish. Seriously Kamran Akmal and Iftikhar :))).

Amer Yamin,Salman Butt,and Mohammad Asif won't be playing on these tours so select a realistic team.

No point in disrespecting the visiting team by sending the integral members of your team for preparation of away tours.

Visiting teams should atleast spend 15-20 days and play 2 warm up matches before the first official match. Had england came straight to india before playing in Bangladesh they too would have lost the first test.

To me NZ conditions are pretty similar to English conditions

Pak played England not long ago. They only got a 1 month period where they played 3 Test Matches in UAE against WI.

These days, teams do not play 3 or 4 tour games before the start of a series. The schedules for most countries is pretty packed. May be 1 practice game and thats it.

Back