Zainab Abbas leaves India after furore over ‘Anti-Hindu’ statements on social media

This is a flawed logic. Just because another country is secular you hold actions against them at lower standards while conveniently holding higher standards against Pakistan purely because of constitutional structure? So you expect others to be nice to you while you clutch at straws to justify showing hatred to others?

I'm vehemently against anyone who speaks bad of Pakistan or Islam but I also believe in calling a spade a spade and holding myself to the same standards that I hold others to.
What I meant was each country has its own laws, rules , customs - so if you are in that country you follow that nation's rules. Simple as that . Not a question of standards. That's all what I was saying.

KKWC Bro...remember Nupur Sharma and the threats she got from Islamists for her comments? I remember how you were supporting those threats in TPS. What happened to protecting females then?
Oh dont expect a straight answer for that.

There's no justification for this. Those are bigoted comments of the highest order. I do feel sad for her but she made these comments in her mid 20s ...not when she was a child.

Probably the end of her career.

The big difference between anything that Zainab has said and whatever Gambhir has said in the past is that I don't remember Gambhir EVER targeting Islam let alone the Prophet PBUH or Allah.

Zainab has outright made a disgusting comment against a revered Indian Goddess. That is blasphemy.

I hope she comes out and apologises but she can definitely kiss her career goodbye. What a fall from grace.

They are thousands of Muslims in India.

They are hundreds of Hindus in Pakistan.

These comments transcend borders and are not limited to India or Pakistan.

Once you make such comments, onus is on you to apologize if you made them being naive, or stick to what you said.

They are many Islamic extremists who are secrectly celebrating even on this forum for such mocking and probably celebrating Zainab being brave.

Until Zainab apologizes, most people will wonder which end of the spectrum she stands at.

Zainab is really stupid.

If something is said against Muhammad, thousands of Muslims protest.

She is a journalist and she decided to mock Kali?

I find it strange that Prophet spent his 30 plus years preaching kindness and his supporters spend their lives trying to enforce Islam by threats, mocking and blaspheming others religious sentiments.

Once you make such comments, onus is on you to apologize if you made them being naive, or stick to what you said.

They are many Islamic extremists who are secrectly celebrating even on this forum for such mocking and probably celebrating Zainab being brave.

Until Zainab apologizes, most people will wonder which end of the spectrum she stands at.

Zainab is really stupid.

I find it strange that Prophet spent his 30 plus years preaching kindness and his supporters spend their lives trying to enforce Islam by threats, mocking and blaspheming others religious sentiments.
There are in fact millions of Hindus in Pakistan. These comments were extremely problematic. I hope against hope she didn't actually make these comments but she probably did.

I just don't understand how they got access to those tweets? She has probably deleted them if she ever made them. Unless someone took a screenshot in 2014 and decided to bring them to the fore now.

Zainab is really stupid.

OF course the comment was disgusting, but you make a claim people are celebrating on this forum and thus calling them Islamic extremist. Show the post which is doing this. When did the Prophet(pbuh) say you should make up lies and use the term Islamist Extremist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Extremely disappointing comments from Zainab Abbas, irrespective of how long ago they were. An apology for the contents of her comments, even now, would be appreciable.

Whether or not she was formally deported, it’s apparent that she couldn’t stay as there would be a credible threat to her safety/life, after the tweets were exposed and spread to a wider audience.

I think it’s important for all Pakistani’s to remember that there are either roughly the same or more Hindu’s in Pakistan than the entire populations of countries such as New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Croatia etc. We must be better, collectively, in our attitudes towards, and respect to, their faith.

If Zainab Abbas loses future opportunities, or even her job, she would have no one to blame but herself. I hope she no longer harbours the views she evidently once had.

I was told by one of my indian friend that india is so liberal so isn't it a fundamental human right to have freedom of speech in India?
Do you know what freedom of speech means? Freedom of speech means government won’t prosecute its citizen for speaking their mind. In this case she is not a citizen of India and government has not arrested or stopped her. In fact government has made no official statement. It’s her employe who have said she has no further work. She is in india and on work visa issued by the work given by her employer. If her employer fires her, there is no underlying job on which she can legally stay.

also, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from its consequence, especially from private citizens and corporations

To be fair, this isn't just about India.

It's simply wrong because it's wrong. Those tweets (if authentic) are terrible for someone who was in her mid-20s at the time. She should apologize and hope her career isn't ruined internationally.

In my opinion, even the PCB needs to investigate and call her up on this.

Hmm. Let's be honest, the tweets are pretty bad in my honest opinion. I didn't expect her to write something like that. She seems very mature and sensible.

I understand she was a teenager at the time but Ollie Robinson was also punished for something similar.

To be fair, this isn't just about India.

It's simply wrong because it's wrong. Those tweets (if authentic) are terrible for someone who was in her mid-20s at the time. She should apologize and hope her career isn't ruined internationally.

In my opinion, even the PCB needs to investigate and call her up on this.
Wasn't she 19 at the time?

So there’s no apology yet

I’m sure she’s spending this time with her lawyer in finding a way to disown those tweets somehow.

It's disgusting that some people are trying to defend her actions on Twitter.

Pakistan, PCB & Pakistan media have to come clean on this as well. Why has it taken a Bharatiya lawyer to bring this matter to attention, how did Zainab build a media career while openly making such comments in her mid 20s with her real account and profile photo on Twitter.

I had a quick look on Pakistan mainstream media and all I heard was Bharat ki Saajish and chaalbaziyan. Do these media outlets have no shame and guts to bring the truth to the Pakistan public that what she’s actually alleged of rather than just putting it all on BCCI.

Zainab obviously has friends in the media and cricketing fraternity and they’ve all stayed silent so far and haven’t given her any public support because no one would want to be dragged into this. Defending her at this point would mean you indirectly support the Kim for stuff she allegedly support.

Trolling is one thing but to directly hurl derogatory remarks against diety of a religion is beghairati and besharmi of the highest order.

Pakistan
Pakistan, PCB & Pakistan media have to come clean on this as well. Why has it taken a Bharatiya lawyer to bring this matter to attention, how did Zainab build a media career while openly making such comments in her mid 20s with her real account and profile photo on Twitter.

I had a quick look on Pakistan mainstream media and all I heard was Bharat ki Saajish and chaalbaziyan. Do these media outlets have no shame and guts to bring the truth to the Pakistan public that what she’s actually alleged of rather than just putting it all on BCCI.
Pakistan ? Lol, why Pakistan

Let’s relax, she owns the tweet not rest of the Pakistan.

Pakistan needs to stand behind Zainab Abbas.
It’s forbidden to mock other religions in Islam.

It’s highly likely that she retracted the old tweet and wouldn’t post anything like that again.

Pakistan should stand by her and not let her be the target of racist propaganda.

But a serious question here: do Hindus not spray cow urine on their persons and living areas to bless them like Christian’s use holy water? I understand some modern Hindus might not do it but I am sure I have read in the past that cow urine is like holy water for some Hindus.

Perhaps some Hindus can shed some light on it.

Here is a link that states some Hindus believe in health benefits of consuming cow urine.

Technically what Zainab said has some grounding in truth, not fiction or made up, although I admit that her tone can be considered insulting.
That way what Nupur Sharma said is the truth as well written in scriptures. You seriously are trying to justify what she tweeted?

I don’t know what nupur Sharma said. I actually don’t even know who that is.

But a serious question here: do Hindus not spray cow urine on their persons and living areas to bless them like Christian’s use holy water? I understand some modern Hindus might not do it but I am sure I have read in the past that cow urine is like holy water for some Hindus.

yup. They even consume it, Akshay Kumar has admitted it.

While living there i heard rumors that some mithai shops sprayed on its mithai aswell

No we use ganga jal (water from ganga river) for that.

Use of cow urine is mostly or always medicinal.

Looks like the tweets are true. I am heartbroken. Did not expect this from Zainab Abbas.
I feel Rameez Raja and Waqar Younus should leave the commentary panel and go back to Pakistan. Have minimal number of Pakistanis in India. No Visa should be given to fans/journalists from Pakistan also.

The people to people touch/Aman kii Asha etc. will not work now. People are idiots and radicalized, even the educated ones.
Bharat and Pakistan are, and, will remain Enemies forever. No point in engaging with each other.

yup. They even consume it, Akshay Kumar has admitted it.

While living there i heard rumors that some mithai shops sprayed on its mithai aswell
What yup ? Lol

People consume cow urine for medical purposes. The rumors you heard is wrong and I have a strong feeling that you are just making up stuff at this point to further your agenda.

Here is a link that states some Hindus believe in health benefits of consuming cow urine.

Technically what Zainab said has some grounding in truth, not fiction or made up, although I admit that her tone can be considered insulting.

Pakistan needs to stand behind Zainab Abbas.

These comments are in very poor taste!

This is what Nupur Sharma of BJP said about Islam - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-61716241

Were you angry at her? I know I was (still am). How would you feel if the Hindus justified what she said was ok because their inference of Quran justifies Nupur's prejudiced comment?

So you want Hindus to respect Islam but would not return the same favor?

Even a racist entity like BJP suspended Nupur to save face but you want Pakistan to back Zainab in spite of her blatant hate comment? This would make Pakistan seem like Taliban or RSS, is this what you want?

Looks like the tweets are true. I am heartbroken. Did not expect this from Zainab Abbas.
I feel Rameez Raja and Waqar Younus should leave the commentary panel and go back to Pakistan. Have minimal number of Pakistanis in India. No Visa should be given to fans/journalists from Pakistan also.

The people to people touch/Aman kii Asha etc. will not work now. People are idiots and radicalized, even the educated ones.
Bharat and Pakistan are, and, will remain Enemies forever. No point in engaging with each other.
What nonsense

Then don't have the world cup there. Just wait for the day when we have a nuclear war so we can kill each other and be completely removed from this planet.

These comments are in very poor taste!

This is what Nupur Sharma of BJP said about Islam - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-61716241

Were you angry at her? I know I was (still am). How would you feel if the Hindus justified what she said was ok because their inference of Quran justifies Nupur's prejudiced comment?

So you want Hindus to respect Islam but would not return the same favor?

Even a racist entity like BJP suspended Nupur to save face but you want Pakistan to back Zainab in spite of her blatant hate comment? This would make Pakistan seem like Taliban or RSS, is this what you want?
I’m just trying to understand what part of what she said was offensive, that’s all.

I have already stated her tone seemed derogatory but did she really state something that was not true or inaccurate?

But regardless of whether Hindus consume cow urine or not, I do feel her statement was insulting in its context and overall nature. Insult is something that comes from intention and if the intention is there, I guess you can make a case that an insult was thrown regardless of the truthfulness of the content.

There are three level of bigotry

1. Making fun of one's nationality - This is something we have all done. Example: Gambhir

2. Making fun of someone's faith - This is unacceptable. Many continue to do this, though, claiming to be ignorant. Even though I don't like it, it's okay. Example: Afridi

3. Making fun of religious figures: This is something you should never do. One should quickly apologise and be prepared to deal with consequences, such as losing their jobs or being banned. Example: Zainab and Nupur

I’m just trying to understand what part of what she said was offensive, that’s all.

I have already stated her tone seemed derogatory but did she really state something that was not true or inaccurate?

But regardless of whether Hindus consume cow urine or not, I do feel her statement was insulting in its context and overall nature. Insult is something that comes from intention and if the intention is there, I guess you can make a case that an insult was thrown regardless of the truthfulness of the content.
Your comment and justification is BS and you know it too. How would you feel if the hindutva brigade starts questioning the contents of Islam's holiest text to justify Nupur Sharma's rants? How would you feel if they start questioning our prophet (pbuh) based on their contemporary interpretation of Islam's texts to justify racist hindutva claims?

I care less about hindutva brigades or India but I care a lot about Pakistan and Islam, and how the rants of insane few adversely affects Pakistan and Islam time and again. Internet trolls like yourself who feed the crazies like Zainab only add fuel to this insanity fire.

Nobody in my circle does it. Not even my grand parents' generation. For most, ganga water is holy, not cow urine. Sometimes rose water.

It depends on area, caste as well I guess. This cow urine thing is mostly lazy stereotyping of a billion Hindus. If you go to a place like Kerala almost all Hindus consume cow meat, so can't generalize.

Since BJP came to power, many of their loonies made statements about cow urine and it is being used to mock all Hindus.

Nonsense.

Was entire BJP sacked for Nupul Sharma comments?

Was Modi asked to resign because of her?

She did the crime and should be punished.

Not Waqar or Rameez.

Anti Hindu tweets by one woman does not represent entire population of Pakistan.

Nonsense.

Not Waqar or Rameez.

Anti Hindu tweets by one woman does not represent entire population of Pakistan.

I agree with you.

But Doctor Sahib

More and more tweets of other pakistani journalists are coming out which reveals their bigotry.

Your comment and justification is BS and you know it too. How would you feel if the hindutva brigade starts questioning the contents of Islam's holiest text to justify Nupur Sharma's rants? How would you feel if they start questioning our prophet (pbuh) based on their contemporary interpretation of Islam's texts to justify racist hindutva claims?

I care less about hindutva brigades or India but I care a lot about Pakistan and Islam, and how the rants of insane few adversely affects Pakistan and Islam time and again. Internet trolls like yourself who feed the crazies like Zainab only add fuel to this insanity fire.
Thanks for your cold and logical evaluation. That too for free. Maybe I should bow down to you. Lol

I have already stated her statement had insult intended so not sure why what I asked is being called “justification”
I have an honest question about the Hindu tradition of cow urine consumption. That’s all.

I agree with you.

But Doctor Sahib

More and more tweets of other pakistani journalists are coming out which reveals their bigotry.

When an Iraqi man burnt Quran expressing freedom of speech in Sweden, millions condemned him.

But there were many Swedish people who considered it freedom of speech.

MOST people will condemn religious mocking.

But obviously closet Anti Hindu leagues will come out and defend Zainab because for them only Islam is sacred.

Cant stop someone from showing their true face or nature.

As an Atheist, I always wonder how, in this day and age, people get worked about God's and religion. Humanity is reaching for Stars and some of us are just stuck in 1000 AD.

Having said that, nobody should attack any race of people. And what Zainab Abbas did was in fact racist to people of Delhi and India.

Nonsense.

Not Waqar or Rameez.

off course entire Pakistan populace is not like that. You are an example of that and being a sensible voice.

But, I feel, there is too much of differences between India and Pakistan to reconcile. So, just stay away from each other for foreseeable time.

I agree with you.

But Doctor Sahib

I’ll tell you it’s not considered bigotry because as Muslims we are taught that it’s our duty to smash idols and condemn idol worshipping. So of course ridiculing them is part of the deal. I know there is greater sensitivity around other religions, perhaps, these days but when I was in school, we were taught to idolize and revere those who destroyed idols in the name of Islam.

These days the translation of the Quran and Hadith and sunnah is easily accessible thanks to the internet so we know that insulting any religion is a big no no in Islam. But it’s a culture change and shift, nonetheless and it comes with time.

I’ll tell you though that the same people who will say such things about Indians, will probably not hold the same views about Pakistani Hindus because of the overall hated between the two countries.

Can you really blame us for this though when such people exist on your side as well?

Thanks for your cold and logical evaluation. That too for free. Maybe I should bow down to you. Lol

I have already stated her statement had insult intended so not sure why what I asked is being called “justification”
I have an honest question about the Hindu tradition of cow urine consumption. That’s all.
You never answered my question. Just as you are questioning them ... How would you feel if the hindutva brigade starts questioning the contents of Islam's holiest text to justify Nupur Sharma's rants? How would you feel if they start questioning our prophet (pbuh) based on their contemporary interpretation of Islam's texts to justify racist hindutva claims?

No need to bow or pay me for my cold logic, just answer my question if at least a modicum of my logic rubbed off on you.

Also consider - If such a statement was made against Islam in Pakistan by a non-muslim, many supporters of Zainab here will call for bringing out the blasphemy law.

When an Iraqi man burnt Quran expressing freedom of speech in Sweden, millions condemned him.

But there were many Swedish people who considered it freedom of speech.

MOST people will condemn religious mocking.

But obviously closet Anti Hindu leagues will come out and defend Zainab because for them only Islam is sacred.

Cant stop someone from showing their true face or nature.

Well put. For me it is the hypocrisy and double standards that are off putting.

Pakistanis do not realise how casually racist they are or have become over a period of decades living in a country with 96% Muslims or living abroad in European, American countries where the Christians aren’t getting touchy about these matters.

Frankly speaking this is just the beginning of a trend that is not going to die down. More such tweets and old comments will be dug out and people will be cancelled until Pakistanis learn to speak respectfully of Hinduism.

You never answered my question. Just as you are questioning them ... How would you feel if the hindutva brigade starts questioning the contents of Islam's holiest text to justify Nupur Sharma's rants? How would you feel if they start questioning our prophet (pbuh) based on their contemporary interpretation of Islam's texts to justify racist hindutva claims?

No need to bow or pay me for my cold logic, just answer my question if at least a modicum of my logic rubbed off on you.

Also consider - If such a statement was made against Islam in Pakistan by a non-muslim, many supporters of Zainab here will call for bringing out the blasphemy law.
I am all for free speech and I don’t feel I need to stand up and defend my faith contrary to how some people tend to behave about such things. If someone asks me directly, I’ll research and provide a strong answer to their queries. No need to get offended over what some people who don’t mean anything at all in your life can say and allow that to hurt your sentiment. If someone in a position of power does, that’s another matter but how often have you or anybody ever resulted in getting those views changed?

France, Scandinavian countries, etc will continue to burn Qurans and insult Prophet SAW and nobody can stop them. It’s up to Allah to punish them.

Very simple.

In Bharat, although comments against Muslims are often there but extreme care is taken in addressing the sacred figures of Islam and if some Hindu doesn’t do that he faces the criminal charges and also the public backlash/death threats etc. this is because of our demographics, we do not live in 96% Hindu country. We have to be careful and sensitivity, that’s how we have grown up. Something a lot of Pakistani kids lacked in their growing up days

Pakistanis do not realise how casually racist they are or have become over a period of decades living in a country with 96% Muslims or living abroad in European, American countries where the Christians aren’t getting touchy about these matters.

Frankly speaking this is just the beginning of a trend that is not going to die down. More such tweets and old comments will be dug out and people will be cancelled until Pakistanis learn to speak respectfully of Hinduism.
That’s inaccurate. We are racist. We just don’t think any other religions count for crap and we also think dark skin is inferior to lighter skin and these are both traits common with North Indians to be honest. Gujarati and Punjabi Hindus feel the same way about Islam. They are just not stupid enough to say it publicly.

Nobody in my circle does it. Not even my grand parents' generation. For most, ganga water is holy, not cow urine. Sometimes rose water.

It depends on area, caste as well I guess. This cow urine thing is mostly lazy stereotyping of a billion Hindus. If you go to a place like Kerala almost all Hindus consume cow meat, so can't generalize.

Since BJP came to power, many of their loonies made statements about cow urine and it is being used to mock all Hindus.
Well that’s great. It sounds very disgusting. Some actor proudly said he drinks it. I mean come on! Haha

That’s inaccurate. We are racist. We just don’t think any other religions count for crap and we also think dark skin is inferior to lighter skin and these are both traits common with North Indians to be honest. Gujarati and Punjabi Hindus feel the same way about Islam. They are just not stupid enough to say it publicly.
I meant to say “we are NOT racist”

Note:
Please stick to the topic of the thread. There is no need to be involved in the personal conflict. All such posts will be removed. Thank you

I am all for free speech and I don’t feel I need to stand up and defend my faith contrary to how some people tend to behave about such things. If someone asks me directly, I’ll research and provide a strong answer to their queries. No need to get offended over what some people who don’t mean anything at all in your life can say and allow that to hurt your sentiment. If someone in a position of power does, that’s another matter but how often have you or anybody ever resulted in getting those views changed?

France, Scandinavian countries, etc will continue to burn Qurans and insult Prophet SAW and nobody can stop them. It’s up to Allah to punish them.

Very simple.
France or Scandinavian countries are equally fine having books or content about their native cultures and religions being burned. But Pakistan and Islam in general are not ok with this, which also means that the standards for reverse hold true as well.

France or Scandinavian countries are equally fine having books or content about their native cultures and religions being burned. But Pakistan and Islam in general are not ok with this, which also means that the standards for reverse hold true as well.
I can only speak to how I feel. I think we have a problem if we are not ok with others practicing their freedoms. Quite frankly it’s hypocritical of us to feel they owe us to respect our book, our Prophet, our faith. We don’t owe each other anything. You want respect from them of your beliefs then educate them and make an impression.

If Zainab had said something like this about Christianity would the British kick her out of an assignment there?

I can only speak to how I feel. I think we have a problem if we are not ok with others practicing their freedoms. Quite frankly it’s hypocritical of us to feel they owe us to respect our book, our Prophet, our faith. We don’t owe each other anything. You want respect from them of your beliefs then educate them and make an impression.

If Zainab had said something like this about Christianity would the British kick her out of an assignment there?
If an Indian journalist said something similar about Islam or your Prophet, and then applied for a Pakistani visa 10 years later, would he/she been allowed entry?

What yup ? Lol

People consume cow urine for medical purposes. The rumors you heard is wrong and I have a strong feeling that you are just making up stuff at this point to further your agenda.
so YUP they consume it. Now you can give any reason whether its for medical or faith. BUT THEY CONSUME it.

Disgusting.

If an Indian journalist said something similar about Islam or your Prophet, and then applied for a Pakistani visa 10 years later, would he/she been allowed entry?
No, and that’s why I criticize both sides for their farsooda thinking and sensitive ideologies.

This is a good time for Pakistani media to reflect on it's behaviour. We are a nation of people that demand respect for our traditions and icons. It's about time we realise that other religions demand and deserve the same respect for theirs.

This is a good time for Pakistani media to reflect on it's behaviour. We are a nation of people that demand respect for our traditions and icons. It's about time we realise that other religions demand and deserve the same respect for theirs.
We don’t respect traditions and icons of people belonging to a different group than ours from our own country. How can you expect us to do it when it comes to enemy nations? Haha

We don’t respect traditions and icons of people belonging to a different group than ours from our own country. How can you expect us to do it when it comes to enemy nations? Haha
Sadly you are right....but when money is on the line then people will start to fall into line.

It's quite likely Zainab will be dropped fron her Sky gig too.

The next person who wants to be will now hopefully think twice.

Not sure what an apology will achieve from her?

Damage is done.

Welcome to the world of showbiz...

I would hope she isn't. In fact, ideally, even if a foreign person had insulted a Hindu God, she should no be allowed into Pakistan to respect our 5 million Hindu brothers and sisters.

The hypocrisy of Pakistanis in this matter is sad. We are so disturbed by blasphemy but literally defend against others.

But trust me bro, I've spoken to people about this in my circles and everyone is very disappointed/outraged at Zainab.

We really appreciate your new mature stance on such matters. Need more posters to embrace your level of maturity and sensitivity.

Brother, she has hurt the sentiments of not only Indian Hindus but Pakistani Hindus. Islam does not teach us this. She should apologise.

She can do that but all I am saying is that in our part of the world, they will not forgive her.

It's justified.

I would get angry too if Pakistan were hosting a tournament and some presenter's old tweets criticizing or abusing our holy prophet came to light during the tournament. Pakistanis shouldn't forget how much they cried about Dean Jones' comment.

You can hate or criticize India for thousands of reasons, but this is not one of them.

It's justified.

I would get angry too if Pakistan were hosting a tournament and some presenter's old tweets criticizing or abusing our holy prophet came to light during the tournament. Pakistanis shouldn't forget how much they cried about Dean Jones' comment.

You can hate or criticize India for thousands of reasons, but this is not one of them.
Dean jones later became the favourite foreigner for us and would have been our national coach

Dean jones later became the favourite foreigner for us and would have been our national coach
He didn't disrespect our prophet. I am sure the response would have been completely different from Pakistanis.

Back