Zainab Abbas leaves India after furore over ‘Anti-Hindu’ statements on social media

She can do that but all I am saying is that in our part of the world, they will not forgive her.

Dean Jones called Amla a terrorist. He apologized. Went on to become a fan favourite amongst both Indians and Pakistanis.

But it seems she isn't going to apologise, rather she will be defiant.

So the tweets were planted?

What is this!

Not one Journalist from Pakistan has condemned this. Rather many have defended her.

Who is this guy?
If I am not wrong this is the guy who said to Gambhir on a tv show that Kohli is afraid of playing against Pak after CT17. When Kohli wasn't playing in Asia cup 2018.

Gambhir showed him his place by replying something like - "4-5 match khelne wale 70 centuries banane wale pe sawaal nahi uthate". Lol.

Of all players this guy said that about Kohli. You can imagine his mental condition.

The big difference between anything that Zainab has said and whatever Gambhir has said in the past is that I don't remember Gambhir EVER targeting Islam let alone the Prophet PBUH or Allah.

Zainab has outright made a disgusting comment against a revered Indian Goddess. That is blasphemy.

I hope she comes out and apologises but she can definitely kiss her career goodbye. What a fall from grace.
I cannot believe that some people are actually trying to defend the comments.

Zainab obviously has friends in the media and cricketing fraternity and they’ve all stayed silent so far and haven’t given her any public support because no one would want to be dragged into this. Defending her at this point would mean you indirectly support the Kim for stuff she allegedly support.

Trolling is one thing but to directly hurl derogatory remarks against diety of a religion is beghairati and besharmi of the highest order.
How anyone can defend such behaviour is beyond me.

Only an idiot would try to defend such comments.

I must be living under a rock.. have no idea what this lady and the controversy is about

How anyone can defend such behaviour is beyond me.

Only an idiot would try to defend such comments.

Bro, you have seen the professionalism and cancel culture of UK. But majority of these people don’t know of such ramifications.

It’s a subcontinental thing which Bharatiyas are also guilty of and now we have started seeing the backlash.

Last year , two BJP young leaders went into trouble for their similar Islamophobic tweets and BJP had to go on backfoot and had to do a lot of image saving through back door channels.

I think this will serve as a timely reminder to many who indulge in casual abuse. As long as you’re not in a position of absolute power and do not need any foreign support, there’s no way you can afford to do this.

Yogi Adityanath can stay Islamophobic now but if at all he becomes a PM in future , he will have to do a lot of corrections in himself to seek support of Arab nations and all. Ironically Modi doesn’t abuse publicly despite the allegations of masterminding riots. So he plays safe in that regard.

And those turning this into a India v Pakistan thing need to give their heads a shake.

It doesn't matter who the person was, or where they were from, it would be right that they are told to pack their bags and head for the airport now.

I’ll tell you it’s not considered bigotry because as Muslims we are taught that it’s our duty to smash idols and condemn idol worshipping. So of course ridiculing them is part of the deal. I know there is greater sensitivity around other religions, perhaps, these days but when I was in school, we were taught to idolize and revere those who destroyed idols in the name of Islam.

These days the translation of the Quran and Hadith and sunnah is easily accessible thanks to the internet so we know that insulting any religion is a big no no in Islam. But it’s a culture change and shift, nonetheless and it comes with time.

I’ll tell you though that the same people who will say such things about Indians, will probably not hold the same views about Pakistani Hindus because of the overall hated between the two countries.

Can you really blame us for this though when such people exist on your side as well?

@Saj

May be this is why she is being defended

@ExpressPacer

Your opinion on this.

@Saj

@ExpressPacer

Your opinion on this.
maybe you can ask yourself that question too. You have a history of defending anything and everything your government and board does against Pakistan and sometimes even your own countrymen who are Muslims. If you can ponder over that and answer why all the ethics, logic, sensitivty flies out the window when it comes to that, perhaps you will be able to see why.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's a liberal Muslim and these types have zero knowledge of Islam.

Allah explicitly forbids Muslims from cursing the false gods of idol-worshippers so if this woman, who doesn't wear the hijab, took it upon herself to curse those held in reverence by Hindus, she is rightfully being panned.

That said, I haven't seen the tweets so if she is innocent then I apologize. The BJP and extremist Hindus have a habit of lying.

Also, I hope that BJP spokeswoman who insulted the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is still being condemned, by Indians of all faiths.

and if that does not help explain it, think why

Allah explicitly forbids Muslims from cursing the false gods of idol-worshippers so if this woman, who doesn't wear the hijab, took it upon herself to curse those held in reverence by Hindus, she is rightfully being panned.

That said, I haven't seen the tweets so if she is innocent then I apologize. The BJP and extremist Hindus have a habit of lying.

Also, I hope that BJP spokeswoman who insulted the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is still being condemned, by Indians of all faiths.
Somthings cannot be hidden behind poor knowledge of Islam or whatever, there is common decency and humanity and sensitivity bhai.

i am a liberal and even I know what Islam says about respecting other people's religion and insulting their beliefs. Let us not hide behind that. Even if you are not that well educated about Islam, this sort of thing should come from education and overall sensitivity training.

I grew up in Pakistan and most cleaning women and low wage labor class is Christian there. I dont think anybody from our family ever say anything derogatory about Christianity and their beliefs in our dealings with them.

The point I am trying to make and in case none of us have been able to clearly see, this goes double for our indian friends here: is that cross border hatred runs deep. we are quick to hate and dismiss anything belonging to the other side. which is why everytime a hindu indian wants to really throw a muslim indian under the bus, Pakistan is dragged into the discussion "pakistan chaley jao, ye ker lo wo ker lo" etc. the seeds of this hatred have been sown for close to 3/4 of a century now and the roots have gone deep. everything seems to be kosher when attacking each other and justifying such attacks.

hope that makes my earlier and previous statements clear.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I guess it's another propaganda by the Hindutvas, right?

and if that does not help explain it, think why

Somthings cannot be hidden behind poor knowledge of Islam or whatever, there is common decency and humanity and sensitivity bhai.

i am a liberal and even I know what Islam says about respecting other people's religion and insulting their beliefs. Let us not hide behind that. Even if you are not that well educated about Islam, this sort of thing should come from education and overall sensitivity training.

I grew up in Pakistan and most cleaning women and low wage labor class is Christian there. I dont think anybody from our family ever say anything derogatory about Christianity and their beliefs in our dealings with them.

The point I am trying to make and in case none of us have been able to clearly see, this goes double for our indian friends here: is that cross border hatred runs deep. we are quick to hate and dismiss anything belonging to the other side. which is why everytime a hindu indian wants to really throw a muslim indian under the bus, Pakistan is dragged into the discussion "pakistan chaley jao, ye ker lo wo ker lo" etc. the seeds of this hatred have been sown for close to 3/4 of a century now and the roots have gone deep. everything seems to be kosher when attacking each other and justifying such attacks.

hope that makes my earlier and previous statements clear.
Her ignorance as a liberal Muslim and liberal Pakistani is why she made these comments.

If she really said those things then she should be ashamed to even go to India in the first place.

I see many young people say such things openly nowadays, there used to be a lot of respect before irrespective of dislike or bias.

Nowadays everyone thinks it’s cool to hate on other religions and mock them for few likes and laughs.

While primitive Pakistanis keep advocating for honor and fair play, India and Afghanistan continue to make gains via unfair means. Tax-evaders and sister's-inheritance-usurpers from Pakistan feel the sudden urge to excrete truth about their country on international forums, while India and Afghanistan always appear united on even the most ridiculous of propositions.

Allah also forbids negative assumptions, backbiting, and slandering, and you labeling Zainab as a liberal Muslim falls into one or two of those.

What does being a liberal have to do with Islam? So now if a person is a liberal he has zero knowledge of Islam?

Zainab saying something about Hindu gods and Zainab being forced to leave India are two different subjects. The former is not ok whether you're liberal or conservative, but the latter is yet another addition to the list of humiliations India keeps adding to our bucket, without any tangible reaction. When it comes to one of their addictions (like cricket) or personal profit, Pakistanis suddenly become some of the most pragmatic creatures on the planet. But when it comes to the delusion of Muslim nationalism on the state level, Pakistan exhibit their usual hypocrisy where they vehemently oppose trade relations with Israel, while being one of the top countries on Israeli platforms like Fiverr or platforms by Jews such as Facebook.

@Saj

@ExpressPacer

Your opinion on this.
He is not wrong. Such is the culture of the Sub-Continent that people are extremely religious and need to prove their religious faith through destroying others holy idols or burning holy books.

However, in my personal experience of both India and Pakistan as well as expat communities of both nations, such individuals are in the minority.

I definitely was never taught this in school or ever saw it being encouraged to disrespect others Gods. Neither does Islam teach us this. I acknowledge that there are Islamic stories of idols being destroyed but this was when they were wrongfully placed in mosques and Islamic holy sites.

For instance, I don’t necessarily have a problem with a Hindu temple being reclaimed if a mosque was forcibly built on top of it. Of course, this should be done in a peaceful manner where possible and not in the way the Babri masjid fiasco occurred.

He is not wrong. Such is the culture of the Sub-Continent that people are extremely religious and need to prove their religious faith through destroying others holy idols or burning holy books.

However, in my personal experience of both India and Pakistan as well as expat communities of both nations, such individuals are in the minority.

I definitely was never taught this in school or ever saw it being encouraged to disrespect others Gods. Neither does Islam teach us this. I acknowledge that there are Islamic stories of idols being destroyed but this was when they were wrongfully placed in mosques and Islamic holy sites.

For instance, I don’t necessarily have a problem with a Hindu temple being reclaimed if a mosque was forcibly built on top of it. Of course, this should be done in a peaceful manner where possible and not in the way the Babri masjid fiasco occurred.
I think people aren't getting the fundamental issue. I think it's perfectly OK to be publicly critical of ANY religion .

That is part and parcel of freedom of speech . I don't think Zainab or anybody should be punished in any manner for such views.

If Zainab thinks Hinduism is irrational or regressive , she is perfectly entitled to voice it.

//ly, Anybody can call out the Prophet/Christianity and it should be perfectly OK. Others simply have to live with it.

The issue with her comments is the not so subtle supremacist/racist mindset where she clearly thinks that people who have a set of beliefs(irrational in her opinion) are "untermenschen" of some kind . 25 is too old to have such beliefs and to be publicly portraying them .

That's the crux of the matter and that's what people seem to be defending.

I think people aren't getting the fundamental issue. I think it's perfectly OK to be publicly critical of ANY religion .

That is part and parcel of freedom of speech . I don't think Zainab or anybody should be punished in any manner for such views.

If Zainab thinks Hinduism is irrational or regressive , she is perfectly entitled to voice it.

//ly, Anybody can call out the Prophet/Christianity and it should be perfectly OK. Others simply have to live with it.

The issue with her comments is the not so subtle supremacist/racist mindset where she clearly thinks that people who have a set of beliefs(irrational in her opinion) are "untermenschen" of some kind . 25 is too old to have such beliefs and to be publicly portraying them .

That's the crux of the matter and that's what people seem to be defending.
I disagree. It is not perfectly OK to be publicly critical of any religion. If the Law of a country forbids it, as it does against Islam in Pakistan, it is not OK. The Law of a country is enacted in a Parliament and represents the viewpoint of the electorate. As such, it is NOT OK. If there is no such law in India, then I suppose it would be OK to do so in India but I would avoid to publicly criticise a mainstream religion anyway.

Having said that, I agree that her comments were not merely critical but also insulting and mocking. I think she may have done this in the heat of the moment but that is no excuse. Having said that, if she apologises and has grown as a person, and is able to actually show that she has, she should be forgiven.

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

I disagree. It is not perfectly OK to be publicly critical of any religion. If the Law of a country forbids it, as it does against Islam in Pakistan, it is not OK. The Law of a country is enacted in a Parliament and represents the viewpoint of the electorate. As such, it is NOT OK. If there is no such law in India, then I suppose it would be OK to do so in India but I would avoid to publicly criticise a mainstream religion anyway.

Having said that, I agree that her comments were not merely critical but also insulting and mocking. I think she may have done this in the heat of the moment but that is no excuse. Having said that, if she apologises and has grown as a person, and is able to actually show that she has, she should be forgiven.

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.
Yeah. Let's agree to disagree here. Mocking of a religion itself is fine. Demeaning people who practice a belief system is absolutely not.

I get where you are coming from though so fair enough

Yeah. Let's agree to disagree here. Mocking of a religion itself is fine. Demeaning people who practice a belief system is absolutely not.

I get where you are coming from though so fair enough
Disrespecting someone's belief system is wrong. I personally don't care about religion, and I believe it is unnecessary. But if I become intolerant, that is when the problem arises.

Someone mentioned "false Gods". I don't believe it is the right thing to say. In Hinduism, there is one God. They believe that God is omnipresent. The statues/idols are to illustrate different concepts to the devotees. For example, every known object in the universe is made up of a combination of the five elements. And these elements are worshiped in different forms (as they believe everything is part of God).

A person's lack of knowledge could tempt them to mock others' religion, but the right thing to do is to respect everyone's right to their belief system.

A friend of mine who is Indian said this to me and he makes a fair point:

"If an Indian journalist had said something disgusting about Islam and had the nerve to go to Pakistan, I would expect that journalist to be thrown out of Pakistan straight away."

"If an Indian journalist had said something disgusting about Islam and had the nerve to go to Pakistan, I would expect that journalist to be thrown out of Pakistan straight away."
He wouldn't have been able to land in Pakistan

Glad she is thrown out of India. We won't endure any kind of disrespect to any religion in India. She is should be banned for life for entering.
Good job BCCI.. Fully supporting you this time 👍🏻

Zainab saying something about Hindu gods and Zainab being forced to leave India are two different subjects. The former is not ok whether you're liberal or conservative, but the latter is yet another addition to the list of humiliations India keeps adding to our bucket, without any tangible reaction. When it comes to one of their addictions (like cricket) or personal profit, Pakistanis suddenly become some of the most pragmatic creatures on the planet. But when it comes to the delusion of Muslim nationalism on the state level, Pakistan exhibit their usual hypocrisy where they vehemently oppose trade relations with Israel, while being one of the top countries on Israeli platforms like Fiverr or platforms by Jews such as Facebook.
My guess.

ICC told her to pack her bags and not the BCCI or the Indian Govt.

Saj bhai,

To be honest , he would have barely survived in even Bharat. Some local muslim mechanic or butcher would have slit his throat in Bharat itself, let alone going all the way to Pakistan only to be served as ghosht on a plate.

Such is the fear of speaking against Islamic idols because Muslims have rightly created this image that it’s an absolute no no and they would go to any lengths to kill such people. I used to despise this trait of Muslims while growing up. But now i support this. This is the only way people will ever take your religion seriously. Andrew Tate opened my eyes in this regard when he said you could say Jesus is gay and walk out of the room just fine anywhere in the world but say the same about Islamic prophets and you would not walk out alive even in a Christian country. People will only take your religion seriously if you yourself take it extremely seriously.

I don't know what's worse, the tweets or the people trying to defend her.

Both are appalling.

So are we now saying those tweets were indeed tweeted by her, from her actual account? My understanding was, these were still allegations and no investigation has been conducted or concluded to validate those allegations.

So are we now saying those tweets were indeed tweeted by her, from her actual account? My understanding was, these were still allegations and no investigation has been conducted or concluded to validate those allegations.
Zainab silence on this issue is enough to understand that those were her tweets

I feel like her silence suggests that she is trying to imply that these are not her tweets. No need to apologise for something you didn’t do perhaps?

I’m just speculating. The screenshots could be doctored since they are not from her actual twitter.

That could be possible but you can’t say that with certainty. The other possibility is, she’s been advised by her management to not comment anything for now, wait for investigations etc to take place or right time to put out statement.

Assuming the allegations are validated, she should apologise and take initiatives to educate herself on courses related to diversity, religion and equality etc. If the allegations prove to be false, and it was a social engineer drive to defame her, then she should seek defamation.

I feel like her silence suggests that she is trying to imply that these are not her tweets. No need to apologise for something you didn’t do perhaps?

I’m just speculating. The screenshots could be doctored since they are not from her actual twitter.
Those were from actual Twitter account as she changed her username which we have already seen from her mother reply.

Those were from actual Twitter account as she changed her username which we have already seen from her mother reply.
Yes but that doesn't mean they can't be doctored. Very easy to make a fake tweet with any username. I can make it too.

Yes but that doesn't mean they can't be doctored. Very easy to make a fake tweet with any username. I can make it too.
Don't you think if those were doctored tweets she should would have already talk about becouse her entire career on the line now .his silence is proved that those were her tweets nothing else .

Can't condone those tweets, but it's a loss for advancement of women in Pakistan. Also not a good look for Indian cricket as those tweets were from 9 years ago and it seems churlish to hold onto grudges this long.

Can't condone those tweets, but it's a loss for advancement of women in Pakistan. Also not a good look for Indian cricket as those tweets were from 9 years ago and it seems churlish to hold onto grudges this long.
Even Ollie Robinson had tweeted islamophobic tweets in 2013 but was penalised for it. Things wouldn't have escalated if she had immediately apologized and expressed regret which she hasn't done till now. Imagine if a non-muslim had made these tweets about islamic figures would he/she be forgiven because they were 9 years ago?

It seems she has decided to not apologize. No explanation about her actions. Nothing.

Transcript of the Weekly Media Briefing by Spokesperson Thursday 12 October 2023

Question: Can you please comment on the issue of Zainab Abbas, who went to India from Pakistan to cover the World Cup and was forced by Indian authorities to leave the country?

Secondly, Pakistan’s Cricket Team is also facing security issues in India. The Chairman of PCB also discussed security risk issues.

Yesterday, the standing committee of the Senate for Foreign Affairs passed a resolution of condemnation and demanded that the Pakistan Cricket Team should be called back to Pakistan immediately. How do you comment? (Ghazala Noreen, Suno Tv)

Supplementary Question: There is a match between Pakistan and India on Saturday, and as Ms. Ghazala said, the PCB Chairman met the Foreign Secretary, and the Indian High Commission has also contacted some journalists.

Has the issue of the non-issuance of visas been taken up? Or is it in your notice that Pakistani journalists and spectators have been issued visas? (Naveed Siddiqui, Dateline Islamabad)

Answer: As I have said in the past. We believe that India as the host of the World Cup has the responsibility to provide seamless security for Pakistan’s cricket team and our officials who are in India for the World Cup.

We also believe that it is their responsibility to offer a conducive environment for all cricketing teams including the Pakistan cricket team and other individuals who are visiting India in connection with this tournament.

Regrettably, Pakistani sports presenter Ms. Zainab was intimidated through the registration of an FIR against her on the basis of some attributed tweets made several years ago.

Such developments reflect the growing level of intolerance in Indian society and set a wrong precedent in the ICC sports tournaments.

With regards to visas, Pakistan has remained in contact with the Indian authorities and we have impressed on them to issue visas to all Pakistani journalists who have been accredited by the ICC and to Pakistani spectators who are in possession of valid tickets for these cricket matches.

We hope that India will fulfil its responsibilities as the host nation.

Last edited:
She's admitted she did them.

What else do you want!

Zainab Abbas officially apologizes for her past tweets and for the hurt she has caused. It's good that she has done so, but perhaps she should have sent this out a day or two ago

nZxiFPz.png

Zainab Abbas officially apologizes for her past tweets and for the hurt she has caused. It's good that she has done so, but perhaps she should have sent this out a day or two ago

nZxiFPz.png

That’s a very ordinary apology to be honest. More like screw you guys. I don’t need you.

It’s ok.
Wishing her the best in work elsewhere.

Transcript of the Weekly Media Briefing by Spokesperson Thursday 12 October 2023

Question: Can you please comment on the issue of Zainab Abbas, who went to India from Pakistan to cover the World Cup and was forced by Indian authorities to leave the country?

Secondly, Pakistan’s Cricket Team is also facing security issues in India. The Chairman of PCB also discussed security risk issues.

Yesterday, the standing committee of the Senate for Foreign Affairs passed a resolution of condemnation and demanded that the Pakistan Cricket Team should be called back to Pakistan immediately. How do you comment? (Ghazala Noreen, Suno Tv)

Supplementary Question: There is a match between Pakistan and India on Saturday, and as Ms. Ghazala said, the PCB Chairman met the Foreign Secretary, and the Indian High Commission has also contacted some journalists.

Has the issue of the non-issuance of visas been taken up? Or is it in your notice that Pakistani journalists and spectators have been issued visas? (Naveed Siddiqui, Dateline Islamabad)

Answer: As I have said in the past. We believe that India as the host of the World Cup has the responsibility to provide seamless security for Pakistan’s cricket team and our officials who are in India for the World Cup.

We also believe that it is their responsibility to offer a conducive environment for all cricketing teams including the Pakistan cricket team and other individuals who are visiting India in connection with this tournament.

Regrettably, Pakistani sports presenter Ms. Zainab was intimidated through the registration of an FIR against her on the basis of some attributed tweets made several years ago.

Such developments reflect the growing level of intolerance in Indian society and set a wrong precedent in the ICC sports tournaments.

With regards to visas, Pakistan has remained in contact with the Indian authorities and we have impressed on them to issue visas to all Pakistani journalists who have been accredited by the ICC and to Pakistani spectators who are in possession of valid tickets for these cricket matches.

We hope that India will fulfil its responsibilities as the host nation.
So the intimidation was the FIR? Not the alleged death threats that one poster alleged was sent to her?

That’s a very ordinary apology to be honest. More like screw you guys. I don’t need you.

It’s ok.
Wishing her the best in work elsewhere.

What would you have liked her to say?

Seems that she probably hoped nobody would find and dig out the tweets.

Caught red-handed when in the country of the people/religion that you mocked. That's not a good look is it and frankly embarrassing.

If only she had apologized 1o days earlier when these tweets were circulated she would have still been presenting at teh WC abd bygones would ahve been bygones.

She's admitted she did them.

What else do you want!

Well her statement of admitting it came out at 4-5 hours after my post.

Now she’s admitted it and apologised, the allegations that circulated online are validated. So now she should show she means her apology by joining a programme on equality, diversity and religion. I’m sure she’s regretful and will learn from this.

Her apology tweet suggests otherwise. On the 2nd half of your sentence, how about Salman Rushdie getting stabbed 34 years later :)

I don't get the connection. Are you saying it was a good thing that some Muslims were ready to stab Rushdie 34 years later? Is that how you justify holding onto grudges on whatever it was Abbasi said?

Seems that she probably hoped nobody would find and dig out the tweets.

Caught red-handed when in the country of the people/religion that you mocked. That's not a good look is it and frankly embarrassing.

To be fair, I don't think most people would remember what they posted a decade ago from their previous account.

To be fair, I don't think most people would remember what they posted a decade ago from their previous account.
To be fair, most people wouldn't write that sort of stuff and then pretend like nothing happened when the revelations came out.

If only she had apologized 1o days earlier when these tweets were circulated she would have still been presenting at teh WC abd bygones would ahve been bygones.
You can see from my posts that I completely condemn her actions.

But I think you are being unrealistic when you say bygones would have been bygones.

The Indian online rage machine is menacing, due to the sheer numbers of people.

I think she would have genuinely been fearful for her life.

India is not some cultured place that would accept an apology and move on.

You can see from my posts that I completely condemn her actions.

But I think you are being unrealistic when you say bygones would have been bygones.

The Indian online rage machine is menacing, due to the sheer numbers of people.

I think she would have genuinely been fearful for her life.

India is not some cultured place that would accept an apology and move on.
In India people like Akbaruddin Owaisi have said much worse things and gotten away. More than her life I think she was worried about the court case that was file against her. She didn't want to get into the legal tussles. There were no protests against her on the ground by BJP/VHP/RSS except for tagging ICC, BCCI with her tweet screenshots.

Allah also forbids negative assumptions, backbiting, and slandering, and you labeling Zainab as a liberal Muslim falls into one or two of those.
No, it doesn't. We can only deal with, and judge people by their looks and actions. Their intentions aren't something that human beings can know.

nZxiFPz.png
I think we should accept her apology even if it came after a week.

Back