2nd Test, St Lucia: West Indies v India - score updates and discussion thread

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Captain Brian Lara claims West Indies still have a mental edge over India going into the second Test in St Lucia.

India, who lost the one-day series 4-1, overcame a first innings deficit of 130 in Antigua to set West Indies 392 but failed to take the last wicket in time.

"We put our heads in front, and if we had done so in a proper manner would have won that Test," said Lara.

"We have won more matches over the last two to three weeks, so we still have the psychological advantage."

India spent a relaxed practice session on Thursday swimming in the sea at nearby Rodney Bay.

Captain Rahul Dravid drew a line under their performance in the first Test and emphasised the need to start strongly.

"West Indies will be confident (after) they saved that match, but we can take heart from some of the things we did," he said.

"It is important for us to start this Test well, and see if we can create some pressure on the West Indies early in the match.

"That's something which can hopefully make them crack."

Both set to make enforced changes to their pace bowling corps on a grassy pitch at Beausejour Stadium.

India's Sri Sreesanth has been ruled out with a left heel injury so left-armer Irfan Pathan, who missed the opener, will return.

Fidel Edwards (hamstring) is replaced by his half-brother Pedro Collins, who has a knack of dismissing key batsmen.

In 2002, the left-armer played three Tests against India and got Sachin Tendulkar out in all of them, twice for ducks.

When England toured the Caribbean in 2004, he claimed Michael Vaughan twice in three Tests and again in the first Test in Lord's three months later.

His last two Tests were against South Africa last year and he got Herschelle Gibbs in both of them.

Collins targeted Dravid this time around, saying: "He is one of the best players in the team and kind of a marked man for us."

"If you get him early, you can put a lot of pressure on the rest."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Indies (from): B Lara (capt), I Bradshaw, D Bravo, S Chanderpaul, P Collins, C Collymore, D Ganga, C Gayle, D Mohammed, R Morton, D Ramdin (wkt), M Samuels, R Sarwan, J Taylor.

India (from): R Dravid (capt), M Dhoni (wkt), W Jaffer, Mohammed Kaif, D Karthik, A Kumble, VVS Laxman, M Patel, I Pathan, R Powar, S Raina, V Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Vikram Singh, Yuvraj Singh.

(bbc sport)

Dont really know what edge he is speaking of - WI narrowly survived on the last day after leading in the first 2 days - If Indian bowling attack can sort themselves out, WI wont stand a chance ( I suppose same can be said about the WI bowling as well)

I guess pedro collins will be upset his last series bunny sachins not playing!

India should win this test match, the WI narrowly survived the last test after India made a strong fightback.

if it's a sporting wicket india are doomed !!!

if on the other hand the Windies make the same mistake Pakistan made and prepare a dead wicket then it's advantage India.

MenInGreen said:
Dont really know what edge he is speaking of - WI narrowly survived on the last day after leading in the first 2 days - If Indian bowling attack can sort themselves out, WI wont stand a chance ( I suppose same can be said about the WI bowling as well)

If WI bowlers can have make out Jaffer in first 10 overs I think India would had struggling for drawn. ;-)

Its been a very good ODI and Test series so far, lets see what happens this time.

i hope collymore is fit to bowl for west indies as he and collins could cause problems if the wickets a green one.

Cricinfo says "Mr Chorrri Nassaan Man is out with a bruised Heel"

Am I the only one who thinks he has some more strategic parts that are bruised, after the phainty he got :D

Beast Sehwag
11.6 Bravo to Sehwag, SIX, over-pitched delivery, Sehwag puts his feet forward and lofts it well and over the long on fence, another wonderful strike.
11.5 Bravo to Sehwag, FOUR, Sehwag lofts this one down the ground to long on fence, good shot.
11.4 Bravo to Sehwag, FOUR, short and wide outside the off stump, Sehwag cuts it hard to backward-point fence, smashing shot.
11.3 Bravo to Sehwag, no run, good line this time, Sehwag lets it go
11.2 Bravo to Sehwag, SIX, That is Maximum! width outside the off stump and bit fuller, Sehwag comes forward and lofts it high and over the long off fence, brings up his 50 in style.
11.1 Bravo to Jaffer, 1 run, on the pads, Jaffer nudges to deep backward square leg for a single

Batsmen R B 4s 6s SR
V Sehwag (rhb) 64 37 10 2 172.97

11.6 Bravo to Sehwag, SIX
11.5 Bravo to Sehwag, FOUR, Sehwag lofts this one down the ground to long on fence, good shot.
11.4 Bravo to Sehwag, FOUR, short and wide outside the off stump, Sehwag cuts it hard to backward-point fence, smashing shot.
11.3 Bravo to Sehwag, no run, good line this time, Sehwag lets it go
11.2 Bravo to Sehwag, SIX, That is Maximum! width outside the off stump and bit fuller, Sehwag comes forward and lofts it high and over the long off fence, brings up his 50 in style.
11.1 Bravo to Jaffer, 1 run, on the pads, Jaffer nudges to deep backward square leg for a single
End of over 11 (7 runs) - India 58/0

V Sehwag 44* (32b 8x4) JE Taylor 5-0-24-0
W Jaffer 11* (35b) DJ Bravo 1-0-6-0

10.6 Taylor to Sehwag, FOUR, Sehwag gets his 8th boundary, plays it between the gully and slips to thirdman fence.

Sehwag blasting the WI attack, in this type of form he is easily the best Test Match Opener.

Sehwag destroying the West Indies as if they are Sunday league bowlers. Brilliant batting. That's the Sehwag India have been looking for.

Sehwag is goin great here!, hopefully he stays that way, Indias run rate is high at the moment for a test match.

fastest century is by Viv Richards in 56 balls ... it's safe .. sehwag has already consumed 60 balls.

India 116/0 @ moment.

rocket powered start...

West indies bowlers have bowled to many hit me balls.

The wicket has tufts of grass on it but overall looks a belter for batting!

India 129/0

Auntie slowing down for the sake of her century

this is boring - i'm watching the other windies match now (wc trinidan vc sweden)

lunch

140/0

sehwag - 99*

should have got his hundred b4 lunch ... what a gr8 knock though !!!

When he plays like this he normally ends up with big scores. Pitch looks green ... don't know what's been wrong with WI bowlers.

100 for sehwag.

12th test ton.

off just 78 balls, awesome stuff.

Tupac said:
huh? it's off 80 balls, give credit where credit is due

:)) You Indians keep taking the bait.

By the way..she slowed down noticably when she reached 85 or so.

India 147/0

500-600 likely here..

two previous tests on this ground have been high scoring affairs.

Hash said:
:)) You Indians keep taking the bait.

By the way..she slowed down noticably when she reached 85 or so.

looks like india playing for the draw :p

JAFFER gone caught behind off pedro collins.

India 159/1

should be the snail dravid in next.

If it is Dravid then we can safely say it is fall asleep time

great ball by collins, lacchu in now, good move by dravid to keep momentum going

Hash you must show respect towards players .. It has been one of the high points of this forum. Putting your opinion gracefully is well respected by everyone.

chuck said:
Hash you must show respect towards players .. It has been one of the high points of this forum. Putting your opinion gracefully is well respected by everyone.

I am fully aware of the high and low points of this forum thank you very much. Been here since the NZ tour of 2003/2004.

At the end of the day, I am just having some fun and if the mods want me to cool it then I am sure they will say so.

It was just a friendly advise .. let's keep it healthy... while keeping the fun factor alive.

Laxman gone to pedro collins caught behind!

india 161/2

chuck said:
It was just a friendly advise .. let's keep it healthy... while keeping the fun factor alive.

Thanks for the advice bhai but I aint going to lie. If I hate the Indian and English cricket teams then I hate them. No point in pretending I respect them when I don't :19:

Hash said:
Thanks for the advice bhai but I aint going to lie. If I hate the Indian and English cricket teams then I hate them. No point in pretending I respect them when I don't :19:

A heart moving post! :14: p.o.w

always speak the truth no mata how harsh!

WINDIES DRAW AGAIN !!!

this time against another lame attack in another sport !!

:D :D

Expect Sehwag to come out with the line - "I love West Indian bowling" after this innings. He's bossing the game right now.

if sehwag makes a triple century by today (which im sure he wont)

he will equal Don Bradmans Record.

He needs to pass 200 by tea

Laxman is under pressure now from Raina, a duck for him today.

shavedwag has slowed down alot - once he goes indian RR will dip back down to ~3

sehwag hits yet another boundary....west indian commentators just sigh

kashif77 said:
shavedwag has slowed down alot - once he goes indian RR will dip back down to ~3

you mean shavedwig! :))

kashif77 said:

especially wen snail dravid comes :11:

India 228/2

should be around 370-400 at close of play.

I don't understand why WI insist on playing Bradshaw.

No matter how many runs he went for in the last game, Dave M has some potential. He should be playing.

Back