A question about cricket balls

PakPrince

First Class Captain
Runs
Which cricket balls will be used in the WC matches. Will it be the normal Kooka Burra Balls or will the Indians hold the WC with their own SG balls? Is there any chance of there being the Duke Balls?

Secondly how does the ball affect the match? I know Duke swings more.:asif
What about the other 2?

Since it is ICC event then it is Kookaburra balls, no way SG balls could be used in World Cup.

I think Dukes only make red balls so no Dukes.

Last edited:
Dukes made the World Cup balls in 1999, ah those were the days.

I'm pretty sure that Kookaburra balls are used in all ODIs these days.

Last edited:
Duke balls are still being hand made, while Kookaburras are machine stitched as far as I know.

Still surprised they can't make a white ball that will last 50 overs - not just the colour but that they seem to get scuffed and roughed very quickly as well.

90MPH Bhai, I once saw a video and I think Kookaburra balls were hand stitched as well.

Will look for the video and post it here.

I have one red Dukes ball and it is very good, much much better than Kookaburra's in my opinion.

It's all about the Readers County Supreme. Pocketed a fair few match balls for nets, hold their shape rather nicely.

The low end ones like Super Crown and Club are, but the higher up models are still made in England as far as I know.

Here's a Gold 'A' that hasn't seen much use yet.
DSC00931.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

90MPH Bhai, I once saw a video and I think Kookaburra balls were hand stitched as well.

Will look for the video and post it here.

I have one red Dukes ball and it is very good, much much better than Kookaburra's in my opinion.

I have heard Kookaburras are machine made so the seam does not stay as hard and proud compared to Dukes. (I think Kookaburras are designed for abrasive and hard pitches)Of course a lot depends on the pitch and outfield you play on, not just the quality of the ball.

I have also been told Readers are very good quality balls - and are much cheaper compared to Kookaburras.

Last edited:
Guys here is the video;

[UTUBE]hpEUKjTo6BQ[/UTUBE]

There are two stitching processes, one is machine and other is hand.

Exapln guys! :)

PS: I don't know anything about cricket balls :(

By the way, that Readers ball looks quite good and looks kinda like Dukes.

Will post pictures of my Dukes ball later.

^^The seam itself is machine stitched (where as dukes it is hand stitched) - the only bit where the hand is used is to stitch the ball together.
Anyway first time seen that video, good watch.

Ahh okay, got it! JazakAllah Khair for explaining it guys, I appreciate your help :):)

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the red ball has a longer life compare to white ones, right ?

Red balls generally last much longer than white ones, but a lot depends on the outfield and pitch - if the outfield/pitch is green then the ball will retain its colour and shine for some time but if its abrasive or rough then it will get scuffed very quickly - both red or white.

Also, the making of the balls is different.

Red does last longer than white. Also, white balls gets dirty earlier than red and thus cant be used as long as a red one.

If they get the pink ball right - that might be a good alternative.

hand stiched lasts longer than machine as well.

The pink ball of my league is sooo poor that the colour (pink) starts to come off and it becomes a white ball :))

For some reason CD, that video in particular isn't embedding on here.

Strange, given that every other video I've embedded from youtube has worked.

Also not sure what this means but those Readers balls (one pictured and one in the video) has "three lines" on both side of the ball, does more means better?

All cricket balls should have six rows of stitching, the innermost ones are quite pronounced on the Readers ball because it's been hand stitched. I'd imagine this is because they do the other four rows of stitching after the ball has been joined at its 'equator', and they thread it through to the other side, with raises it.

Compare this with the Kookaburra video, where it looks like they do it the other way round, stitching the two quarters which make a half together, and then joining them in the middle.

Last edited:
I was surprised because the Kookaburra balls have four rows of stitching instead of six.

What do these row of stitching do? The more the better I presume ? I am assuming they hold the ball together and make it last longer :20: ?

Like I said, watch the vid of the Kookaburra Turf being made further up the page, they sew the centre row last. And since they don't thread the other four rows of stitching underneath this centre row, it doesn't become as raised as it would on the Dukes/Readers balls.

Back