Arsenal FC | 2021/22 Season

Arsenal are in advanced talks with Real Madrid over the permanent signing of attacking midfielder Martin Odegaard.

There is still work to be done on a deal thought to be worth an initial £30m, which could rise to £34m, but personal terms are not expected to be a problem.

Arsenal need to have Odegaard registered by midday on Friday to have him available for Sunday's game against Chelsea.

The Gunners had also been working on a deal for Leicester's James Maddison in this window while also negotiating for Odegaard. Attention was fully on Odegaard once it became apparent how difficult it would be to sign Maddison.

Arsenal 'still building'

Lukaku's thoughts about the current Arsenal team compared to the Gunners sides he's faced in the past: "It's difficult to compare, I think they are a team that's building.

"At the end of the day, I just focus on my team and the players I have. It's going to be a tough game at the weekend, a London derby, but we are preparing ourselves for a battle because they didn't have the best start, and we want to keep building after our good result."

Arsenal have agreed a deal with Real Madrid for attacking midfielder Martin Odegaard.

The Norway international, who will join for an initial £30m fee plus bonuses, was in London on Wednesday undergoing a medical.

Personal terms are not expected to be a problem and Sky Sports News has learnt Odegaard is fully vaccinated, so will not have to quarantine.

If he is registered by midday on Friday, Odegaard will be available to face Chelsea on Sunday.

Arsenal have agreed a deal in principle with Sheffield United for goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale worth an initial £24m.

The fee could rise by another £6m in add-ons depending on whether Ramsdale becomes the Gunners' long-term No 1.

Ramsdale has been on boss Mikel Arteta's radar this summer, having originally joined Sheffield United from Bournemouth in 2020.

Bournemouth are entitled to a 15 per cent sell on of anything over £19m, and the 23-year-old's arrival at the Emirates Stadium would likely see back-up goalkeeper Alex Runarsson be allowed to leave the club.

The Odegaard signing should give Arsenal a boost. He was pretty good from what I saw near the end of last season. If they can get Lacazette and Auba interested again, they might start putting some results together.

So far our squad is actually weaker then last season, even if you add Odegaard to it

Does the club actually believe that the fans will buy the Aubameyang & Lacazette are “injured” excuse?

BREAKING: Martin Odegaard has completed his Arsenal medical ahead of his move from Real Madrid.

Just heard four players had tested positive for Covid including Auby and Laca

Chelsea will brush Arsenal aside. Thereafter Arsenal will be fighting relegation it seems:)):))

Arsenal have signed midfielder Martin Odegaard from Real Madrid for a fee in the region of £30m while goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale has completed a medical before a move from Sheffield United.

Norway international Odegaard, 22, spent the second half of last season on loan at the Emirates.

He made 20 appearances in all competitions and scored two goals.

England Under-21 international Ramsdale made 38 Premier League appearances for the Blades last season.

He will join Bernd Leno and Runar Alex Runarsson as Arsenal's goalkeepers.

"There is still some paperwork but his medical is done, still a few things to sort with Sheffield," Gunners boss Mikel Arteta said.

"Aaron is a talented young keeper with huge experience and has international experience for England. He will bring competition and that's what we want to create - healthy competition, quality competition in every position. We identified Aaron as the ideal option."

Odegaard joins Ben White, Albert Sambi Lokonga and Nuno Tavares as Arsenal's signings this summer.

He will not be available for Sunday's Premier League match with Chelsea as he waits for visa clearance.

Asked what Odegaard would add to his squad, Arteta added: "A lot of things that he brought last season, he made us better, we needed more options and alternatives for creativity.

"He is still a really young man but he has huge experiences in clubs already and has unique talents for the way we want to play so I am really pleased the club have made the effort."

The Norwegian joined Real Madrid from Stromsgodset in 2015 but only made eight league appearances for the Spanish side. He also spent time on loan at Heerenveen, Vitesse and Real Sociedad.

Arteta had made it clear at the end of last season that he wanted Odegaard to return to the Emirates on a permanent basis, and has since spoken about wanting to add more new signings to his squad before the transfer window closes on 31 August.

BBC

Mikel Arteta says he was "surprised" Arsenal's Premier League game at Brentford was not postponed after several members of his squad tested positive for coronavirus.

Arsenal have signed Sheffield United goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale on a long-term deal.

The fee could rise to £30m including add-ons depending on whether Ramsdale becomes the Gunners' long-term No 1.

Ramsdale has been on boss Mikel Arteta's radar this summer, having originally joined Sheffield United from Bournemouth in 2020.

Does the club actually believe that the fans will buy the Aubameyang & Lacazette are “injured” excuse?

Sounds pretty similar to how Ozil missing games in the past as he was "sick".

Ramsdale might not be the most talented young GK around but I think he will become a fan favorite because of his attitude and passion.

He is a fighter and very mature for his age. I was very impressed with his interview.

There is no reason he cannot improve and displace the mentally weak Leno as the first-choice keeper.

Chelsea up next and then Man City, can it get any tougher than that?!

On current from could end up with zero points after 3 games, so they're going to need a drastic improvement if they going to get anything out of these games.

Arsenal defender Ben White has been ruled out of their London derby against Chelsea on Sunday - live on Sky Sports - after testing positive for Covid.

The defender becomes the latest Gunners player to test positive for the virus, after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette, Willian and Alex Runarsson were forced to miss their defeat by Brentford last week.

Mikel Arteta later said he was "surprised" the fixture was not postponed following the outbreak in his squad.

Have to feel for Arsenal. They can't even score a goal never mind winning a match. Arsenal have had a tough start to the season being made to play Chelsea and Man City in the opening few matches. I expected great things from the likes of Nicloas Pepe who has thus far greatly disappointed. Previously most Arsenal fans wanted the owner out where as now they want Arteta gone as well.

I was surprised to see a rookie appointed as the manager in the first place when at the time much better ones were available. Arteta has been given sufficient money since he arrived so the fans have every right to expect improvement but instead they are deteriorating further. It seems to be a matter of time before Arteta is gone.

Arsenal 0-2 Chelsea: Gunners situation 'difficult and unprecedented', says Mikel Arteta

Arsenal are in a "difficult and unprecedented situation" after their record-breaking poor start to the season, according to Mikel Arteta.

After 2-0 defeats by Brentford and now Chelsea, Arsenal have lost their first two league games without scoring for the first time in their history.

The squad has been hit by Covid and injuries in the opening two weeks.

"I don't think the club in their history have faced something like this," boss Arteta told BBC Sport.

"We have to face the challenge. The league or table is not decided in August. The worst thing you can do is throw in the towel. We certainly are not going to do that."

Romelu Lukaku - on his first appearance since joining Chelsea for £97.5m - and Reece James scored the goals and the Blues could have added more.

Arsenal are in the relegation zone at the end of a day - excluding on the opening day of a season - for the first time since August 1992.

Arteta added: "You have to understand the situation we have. We are missing nine players, and it is difficult. It is not just nine players - they are some big, big players."

Arteta's record v Arsenal's other Premier League managers
Games Wins Goals for Points per game
George Graham 112 41 124 1.44
Bruce Rioch 38 17 49 1.66
Arsene Wenger 828 476 1561 1.96
Unai Emery 51 25 91 1.73
Mikel Arteta 60 27 87 1.57
They were without their two star forwards - Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette - plus Willian and back-up keeper Alex Runarsson because of Covid against Brentford.

Aubameyang was back on the bench against Chelsea, but £50m centre-back Ben White was out after testing positive.

Thomas Partey, Gabriel and Eddie Nketiah are all injured too.

"There are a lot of positives," Arteta said. "Five players who are 19 or 20 years old playing at this level for the first time - that will have a positive impact but at the moment it is difficult.

"I don't like to feel sorry for myself. I think everyone can see at the moment we don't have the squad that we want and it seems to be more difficult by the day."

Arsenal were booed off at full-time in front of their biggest crowd in 533 days - but Arteta had no problem with that.

"The crowd were right behind the team from the beginning," he said. "When you are losing you cannot expect them to be happy. They have given all the support they could. When we don't win, they have to show that and that is natural."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58300570

Man City away next, another defeat on the cards looks likely.

Ben White is set to miss Arsenal's Premier League game away to Manchester City next weekend after testing positive for Covid.
The defender was ruled out of the Gunners' defeat to Chelsea on Sunday after he became their latest player to test positive for the virus.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette, Willian and Runar Alex Runarsson were forced to miss Arsenal's loss at Brentford last weekend after also contracting Covid.

Heartbreaking! This is so messed up ���� | London Morning News - A 15 year old boy was at the center of a Old Bailey courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible. The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to Arsenal Football Club, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

£130m spent but the squad doesn’t look any better. People can blame Arteta but the bigger issue is recruitment.

I would get rid of Edu and that Indian guy before thinking about replacing Arteta.

Those who are dreaming of Conte, well there is no doubt he is an elite manager, but he will be needing another hair transplant if he has to work under such idiots who are incapable of closing out deals.

Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira is close to joining Fiorentina on loan and has arrived in Italy for a medical.
The clubs have agreed a deal for the 25-year-old which includes an option to buy for £12.8m.

Eintracht Frankfurt made an offer but Torreira's preference was a return to Italy.

The Uruguay international joined Arsenal in July 2018 from Sampdoria and has made 63 appearances for the club.
However, he spent last season on loan at Atletico Madrid and is not in Mikel Arteta's plans.

EFL Cup

West Brom v Arsenal.

Arsenal are playing their best XI lol.

Manager under immense pressure

He knows the bench and reserves are so weak that they will lose away from home. Arteta would effectively be out of 2 competitions (PL and Caraboa cup) within the first 3 games of the season.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Watching Pepe, Auba and Lacazette running havoc against that poor, poor defence reminded me of the days when Henry, Pires, Wiltord, Ljunberg etc would actually run riot against some of the best in the league and the best in Europe!

Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira is close to joining Fiorentina on loan and has arrived in Italy for a medical.
The clubs have agreed a deal for the 25-year-old which includes an option to buy for £12.8m.

Eintracht Frankfurt made an offer but Torreira's preference was a return to Italy.

The Uruguay international joined Arsenal in July 2018 from Sampdoria and has made 63 appearances for the club.
However, he spent last season on loan at Atletico Madrid and is not in Mikel Arteta's plans.

He is going for peanuts at his age.

Arsenal have ruined the potential this guy had, he could have been our Mascherano but he fell into a sinking ship that was being steered by amateurs like Emery and Arteta. Very sad story

Manager under immense pressure

He knows the bench and reserves are so weak that they will lose away from home. Arteta would effectively be out of 2 competitions (PL and Caraboa cup) within the first 3 games of the season.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Watching Pepe, Auba and Lacazette running havoc against that poor, poor defence reminded me of the days when Henry, Pires, Wiltord, Ljunberg etc would actually run riot against some of the best in the league and the best in Europe!

Apart from the fact Arsenal were playing a bunch of kids. :afridi

Arteta knew Baggies would play kids but still started with a strong squad. Poor managment again, imagine if a kid injured a couple of players.

Lets not take it away from Arsenal. Some of their missing players like Aubameyang and Pepe scored today finally giving them something to cheer about. Was rather disrespectful that West Brom played their second side against a supposed top EPL one. It is the calm before the storm for Arsenal with Man City next to hammer them:)):))

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's hat-trick helped Arsenal to a welcome first win of the season as they beat a young West Bromwich Albion side to reach the Carabao Cup third round.

Aubameyang marked his first start of the season with two first-half tap-ins and a curling finish after the break.

He also acrobatically set up Nicolas Pepe for the third, with Bukayo Saka slotting in the Gunners' fourth.

Alexandre Lacazette came off the bench to fire in his side's sixth.

The win could have been even bigger too, with Martin Odegaard hitting the outside of the post from a tight angle and Pepe striking the bar with a chip.

Best action and reaction from Wednesday's Carabao Cup second-round ties
West Brom fielded six debutants, five of them teenagers, but showed spirit right to the end on what was a difficult night for them.

The Baggies, who have made a superb start to this season under new boss Valerian Ismael, pressed high, got the ball forward quickly and would have taken an early lead had goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, on his Arsenal debut, not pushed Tom Fellows' whipped shot aside.

Even with the tie clearly decided they continued to carve out chances, with Taylor Gardner-Hickman twice denied by Ramsdale in the second half.

Ultimately, though, Arsenal - who now face AFC Wimbledon - were a class above, with the ruthless Aubameyang looking sharp after recovering from coronavirus.

He could hardly miss in scoring both of his first two goals, firstly following up Saka's saved shot to slot in before turning the ball in again after Pepe had hit the post.

His third was much harder to execute, but he did so with aplomb, curling in from 18 yards after cutting into the box.

With the Gabon striker among the goals, Pepe and Saka opening their own accounts for the season and Lacazette adding to the competition up front, Gunners boss Mikel Arteta can be more optimistic about facing Manchester City in the Premier League this coming weekend.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta: "When you lose a game, as quick as possible you have to win.

"Today's game is going to give us some confidence. We had players who played some first minutes.

"Auba [Aubameyang] after his Covid, to get some minutes and score three goals for his confidence is going to be great. Overall I think a really positive night.

On Aubameyang: "Obviously he is a really happy character and he needs that connection with people; with family, with friends, with fans.

"You could see the interaction when he left the pitch and I think that is something really positive for him, yes."

Arsenal striker Aubameyang, speaking to Sky Sports: "Great feeling. I'm happy we won this game. It's good to build confidence of the team.

"The commitment of every player is always there 100%. We try our best to give the fans what they want.

"This hopefully can give us something to build our confidence for the next games. We had to work hard and keep pushing.

"Everyone knows I like the space [in behind a defence]. My team-mates played very well. It was a good game today.

"We still have 36 (league) games left so we will give our best for a good season."

Willian is saving Arsenal £20m by walking away from the club to join Brazilian side Corinthians on a free transfer.

Willian has two years left on his £240,000-a-week Arsenal contract but instead of staying at the Emirates or asking for a pay-off, he will tear up his contract and sign for Corinthians in the next 48 hours.

Not only is the 33-year-old saving Arsenal £20m, he is also taking a 70 per cent pay cut to return to his former club.

Arsenal directors are said to be amazed by Willian's gesture.

Willian has been an exemplary professional since he moved to the Premier League eight years ago and he wants to leave English football with his head held high.

The Brazilian accepts his move to Arsenal from Chelsea last summer has not worked out and he wishes everyone at the club all the very best for the future.

Speaking earlier this week, Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta confirmed Willian has held talks over a move to Corinthians.

"We are having some conversations with him and the agent, and we are evaluating the position that we are in at the moment," Arteta said ahead of Saturday's 5-0 defeat by Premier League champions Manchester City.

"I don't know [why it hasn't worked out for him here].

"At the moment, he is an Arsenal player, and we are trying to get the best out of him while he is here. Anything different is just things that can happen."

SKY

Still no talk whatsoever in the Media of Arteta potentially being sacked

Looks like the Arsenal manager’s job is the most secure job in the world!

Ainsley Maitland-Niles has made a plea on social media for a move to gain first-team football, but Arsenal have insisted the midfielder stay and fight for his place.

The 23-year-old is keen to leave the Emirates and secure more minutes, particularly ahead of the 2022 World Cup.

However, Arsenal, who were initially prepared to let the utility player leave, now appear to be unwilling to sanction a move so close to the deadline and want the player to fight for his place.

Writing on Instagram, Maitland-Niles said: "All I wanna do is go where I'm wanted and where I'm gonna play."

He spent the second half of last season on loan at West Brom, but was unable to help keep the club in the Premier League.

Another temporary move was on the cards and, as Sky Sports News exclusively revealed last week, Maitland-Niles was attracting interest from Everton.

The Goodison Park club submitted a loan offer with an option to purchase the player permanently, but Arsenal have had second thoughts about letting him leave this summer.

Arsenal remain in the market for a right-back - a position Maitland-Niles can play - before the window closes on August 31.

SKY

Still no talk whatsoever in the Media of Arteta potentially being sacked

Looks like the Arsenal manager’s job is the most secure job in the world!

If they were going to sack him, it should have been done last season. They'll probably give him a few more games as they'll say players were out, weren't expected to lose against Chelsea and Man City etc.

Arsenal have some low end teams to play now and they must make the most of it. Notice I didn't say easier though.

Also, its the moths of October/November that tend to be the traditional sacking months of Premier League managers.

Willian: Forward saves Arsenal £20.5m after terminating his contract as move to Corinthians nears

Willian has walked away from £20.5m and terminated his Arsenal contract in order to secure a move to Brazilian side Corinthians.

Willian had two years left on his £240,000-a-week Arsenal contract but instead of staying at the Emirates or asking for a pay-off, he has decided to tear up his contract.

"Following positive and constructive recent discussions with him and his team, he will be leaving for a new opportunity with Corinthians in Brazil, where he began his career," the club said in a statement.

"Everyone at Arsenal wishes Willian and his family well for the future."

Not only is the 33-year-old saving Arsenal £20.5m, he is also set to take a 70 per cent pay cut to return to his former club.

Willian has been an exemplary professional since he moved to the Premier League eight years ago and he wants to leave English football with his head held high.

The Brazilian accepts his move to Arsenal from Chelsea last summer has not worked out and he wishes everyone at the club all the very best for the future.

Before his move to Arsenal, Willian scored 63 goals in 339 appearances in a trophy-laden spell with Chelsea after arriving from Russia's Anzhi Makhachkala in 2013.

He leaves England having won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup, the League Cup and the Europa League.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ing-his-contract-as-move-to-corinthians-nears

Willian: Forward saves Arsenal £20.5m after terminating his contract as move to Corinthians nears

Willian has walked away from £20.5m and terminated his Arsenal contract in order to secure a move to Brazilian side Corinthians.

Willian had two years left on his £240,000-a-week Arsenal contract but instead of staying at the Emirates or asking for a pay-off, he has decided to tear up his contract.

"Following positive and constructive recent discussions with him and his team, he will be leaving for a new opportunity with Corinthians in Brazil, where he began his career," the club said in a statement.

"Everyone at Arsenal wishes Willian and his family well for the future."

Not only is the 33-year-old saving Arsenal £20.5m, he is also set to take a 70 per cent pay cut to return to his former club.

Before his move to Arsenal, Willian scored 63 goals in 339 appearances in a trophy-laden spell with Chelsea after arriving from Russia's Anzhi Makhachkala in 2013.

He leaves England having won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup, the League Cup and the Europa League.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ing-his-contract-as-move-to-corinthians-nears

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/p/CTNl5UplP_H/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" data-instgrm-version="13" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);"><div style="padding:16px;"> <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/CTNl5UplP_H/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" background:#FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank"> <div style=" display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: center;"> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;"></div></div></div><div style="padding: 19% 0;"></div> <div style="display:block; height:50px; margin:0 auto 12px; width:50px;"><svg width="50px" height="50px" viewBox="0 0 60 60" version="1.1" xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><g stroke="none" stroke-width="1" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><g transform="translate(-511.000000, -20.000000)" fill="#000000"><g><path d="M556.869,30.41 C554.814,30.41 553.148,32.076 553.148,34.131 C553.148,36.186 554.814,37.852 556.869,37.852 C558.924,37.852 560.59,36.186 560.59,34.131 C560.59,32.076 558.924,30.41 556.869,30.41 M541,60.657 C535.114,60.657 530.342,55.887 530.342,50 C530.342,44.114 535.114,39.342 541,39.342 C546.887,39.342 551.658,44.114 551.658,50 C551.658,55.887 546.887,60.657 541,60.657 M541,33.886 C532.1,33.886 524.886,41.1 524.886,50 C524.886,58.899 532.1,66.113 541,66.113 C549.9,66.113 557.115,58.899 557.115,50 C557.115,41.1 549.9,33.886 541,33.886 M565.378,62.101 C565.244,65.022 564.756,66.606 564.346,67.663 C563.803,69.06 563.154,70.057 562.106,71.106 C561.058,72.155 560.06,72.803 558.662,73.347 C557.607,73.757 556.021,74.244 553.102,74.378 C549.944,74.521 548.997,74.552 541,74.552 C533.003,74.552 532.056,74.521 528.898,74.378 C525.979,74.244 524.393,73.757 523.338,73.347 C521.94,72.803 520.942,72.155 519.894,71.106 C518.846,70.057 518.197,69.06 517.654,67.663 C517.244,66.606 516.755,65.022 516.623,62.101 C516.479,58.943 516.448,57.996 516.448,50 C516.448,42.003 516.479,41.056 516.623,37.899 C516.755,34.978 517.244,33.391 517.654,32.338 C518.197,30.938 518.846,29.942 519.894,28.894 C520.942,27.846 521.94,27.196 523.338,26.654 C524.393,26.244 525.979,25.756 528.898,25.623 C532.057,25.479 533.004,25.448 541,25.448 C548.997,25.448 549.943,25.479 553.102,25.623 C556.021,25.756 557.607,26.244 558.662,26.654 C560.06,27.196 561.058,27.846 562.106,28.894 C563.154,29.942 563.803,30.938 564.346,32.338 C564.756,33.391 565.244,34.978 565.378,37.899 C565.522,41.056 565.552,42.003 565.552,50 C565.552,57.996 565.522,58.943 565.378,62.101 M570.82,37.631 C570.674,34.438 570.167,32.258 569.425,30.349 C568.659,28.377 567.633,26.702 565.965,25.035 C564.297,23.368 562.623,22.342 560.652,21.575 C558.743,20.834 556.562,20.326 553.369,20.18 C550.169,20.033 549.148,20 541,20 C532.853,20 531.831,20.033 528.631,20.18 C525.438,20.326 523.257,20.834 521.349,21.575 C519.376,22.342 517.703,23.368 516.035,25.035 C514.368,26.702 513.342,28.377 512.574,30.349 C511.834,32.258 511.326,34.438 511.181,37.631 C511.035,40.831 511,41.851 511,50 C511,58.147 511.035,59.17 511.181,62.369 C511.326,65.562 511.834,67.743 512.574,69.651 C513.342,71.625 514.368,73.296 516.035,74.965 C517.703,76.634 519.376,77.658 521.349,78.425 C523.257,79.167 525.438,79.673 528.631,79.82 C531.831,79.965 532.853,80.001 541,80.001 C549.148,80.001 550.169,79.965 553.369,79.82 C556.562,79.673 558.743,79.167 560.652,78.425 C562.623,77.658 564.297,76.634 565.965,74.965 C567.633,73.296 568.659,71.625 569.425,69.651 C570.167,67.743 570.674,65.562 570.82,62.369 C570.966,59.17 571,58.147 571,50 C571,41.851 570.966,40.831 570.82,37.631"></path></g></g></g></svg></div><div style="padding-top: 8px;"> <div style=" color:#3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram</div></div><div style="padding: 12.5% 0;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row; margin-bottom: 14px; align-items: center;"><div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);"></div></div><div style="margin-left: 8px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 2px solid transparent; border-left: 6px solid #f4f4f4; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)"></div></div><div style="margin-left: auto;"> <div style=" width: 0px; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);"></div></div></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center; margin-bottom: 24px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 224px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 144px;"></div></div></a><p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;"><a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/CTNl5UplP_H/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Willian Borges Da Silva (@willianborges88)</a></p></div></blockquote> <script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

Takehiro Tomiyasu has agreed terms on a four-year contract, plus the option of a fifth, with Arsenal and his medical in Italy is coming to its final stages this evening.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles has held clear-the-air talks with Arsenal and will remain at the club until at least January.

Sky Sports News exclusively revealed last week that Everton were keen on signing the 24-year-old, but a potential loan move to the Toffees will not happen in this window.

Instead, Maitland-Niles will stay and fight for a place in Mikel Arteta's Arsenal side.

Arsenal transfer news: Takehiro Tomiyasu joins, Hector Bellerin loaned to Real Betis

Arsenal have signed Japanese defender Takehiro Tomiyasu from Bologna, after right-back Hector Bellerin joined Spanish side Real Betis on loan.

The Gunners have also allowed winger Reiss Nelson to complete a season-long loan move to Dutch side Feyenoord.

Tomiyasu, 22, who can play at either centre-back or right-back, has been signed for £16m on a four-year deal.

He made 31 Serie A appearances last season but has featured just once for Bologna this campaign.

Manager Mikel Arteta said: "Takehiro is a strong defender with good experience in Serie A and at international level.

"He is a versatile defender with great defensive qualities, high technical ability and composure on the ball. He will be an important member of our squad."

Calum Chambers and Cedric Soares have started at right-back in the north London club's three league games this season, all of which have ended in defeat.

Bellerin has not been a regular starter for the Gunners since suffering a serious knee injury in 2019 but made 25 Premier League appearances last season.

The 26-year-old Spain international, signed from Barcelona's academy in 2011, has yet to feature for the club in this campaign and has two years left on his current contract.

Winger Nelson, 21, has played 48 times for Arsenal, scoring four goals.

The England Under-21 international spent 2018-19 on loan at Hoffenheim in Germany.

"I'm looking forward to playing in this beautiful stadium," said Nelson. "Feyenoord is a wonderful club and a great challenge for me. I hope I can get the fans cheering soon."

Arsenal have recruited heavily this summer with buys such as centre-back Ben White for £50m, midfielder Martin Odegaard for £30m and goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale for an initial £24m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58401545

Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka has tested positive for Covid-19 while on international duty with Switzerland.

Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka has tested positive for Covid-19 while on international duty with Switzerland.

He's banned for three games for us anyway due to the red card...

He's banned for three games for us anyway due to the red card...

Whether or not he deserves it and there's lots of hidden bias not very obvious, he had to go.

That he's been the only holding midfielder in a team of squares begs more questions. Wenger's last signing?. Torreira.

skysports-arsenal-spending_5496917.jpg

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Arsenal have rejected a bid from Turkish side Galatasaray for midfielder Mohamed Elneny.

Galatasaray made contact with Arsenal to ask about the possibility of signing the midfielder this week, but the Gunners see Elneny as part of their plans for the season.

The Turkish giants have until the close of their domestic transfer window on Wednesday to conclude a deal for the 29-year-old.

Here at the Arsenal vs Norwich game. Lot of frustration and anger in the stands from a pretty mediocre first half of football. Pedestrian attacking play, Aubameyang missing easy chances and Pepe struggling to control a ball.

771E65DF-3812-4D0B-8489-15F0C8BC4D94.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58436972

Arsenal lifted the pressure on manager Mikel Arteta as they secured their first points of the Premier League season with victory over Norwich City at Emirates Stadium.

Arteta was under mounting scrutiny after a miserable start to the campaign with three defeats that left the Gunners at the foot of the table, so a win that was workmanlike rather than spectacular will be gratefully received.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was back on target to set Arsenal on their way after 66 minutes, with a finish from almost on the goal-line after Canaries' keeper Tim Krul turned Nicolas Pepe's shot on to the post and the same player then struck the woodwork again.

Arsenal had an anxious moment as referee Michael Oliver conducted a VAR check for offside before the Emirates Stadium celebrate with a mixture of elation and relief.

Arteta used his programme notes to call for patience after his side's poor start to the season but he will know as well as anyone that the clock ticks on any manager who struggles to get points on the board, especially at a club with high aspirations.

He wrote: "We are trying to build a medium- to long-term project, which also needs immediate results. That only happens in elite sport and most importantly in football."

And that immediate result was at least achieved to get Arsenal off the mark this season, even if it was hardly a convincing victory margin and achieved against a Canaries side who have now taken the Gunners' place at the bottom of the table after a fourth consecutive league loss.

Arsenal, on the balance of play, deserved the win and Arteta will have been encouraged by getting new £50m summer signing Ben White in the side, seeing new goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale mark his league debut with a clean sheet and the sight of key midfield man Thomas Partey coming on as substitute.

The home fans, despite those poor early season results and performances, were vociferously behind their team from even before the first whistle, the news of Tottenham's defeat at Crystal Palace putting them in good heart having gone into this round of fixtures propping up the table with their north London rivals at the summit.

Emile Smith-Rowe was bright and breezy after coming on as substitute, forcing a fine save from Krul that could have settled matters while Bukayo Saka demonstrated once again that he is a real symbol for Arsenal, now and in the future.

Arteta will be thankful for any small mercies given the paucity of Arsenal's efforts this season and this will provide a much-needed lift when measured both by their performance and the result.

The Gunners had a difficult opening set of fixtures but Arteta knew this was a must-win to stop the pressure mounting even more.

He will also know this is just a start but he will accept it with both hands and move on to the potentially hazardous visit to Burnley to try and consolidate on these three points.

Scraped a narrow win against Norwich which will reduce the pressure on Arteta for a few days.

Some of the injured players coming back, so who knows maybe this is the start of better times for Arsenal.

Free agent David Luiz has completed a move to Brazilian club Flamengo after leaving Arsenal at the end of last season

Scraped a narrow win against Norwich which will reduce the pressure on Arteta for a few days.

Some of the injured players coming back, so who knows maybe this is the start of better times for Arsenal.

After watching Arsenal beat Norwich 1-0, Mikel Arteta hailed it as "the best week of my career" as the Gunners got their season up and running.

I didn’t expect Leno to get dropped yet. I thought it would happen later in the season if Leno made mistakes. Ramsdale certainly has something about him. Putting him in now is a brave move from Arteta. It’s better he does things his way rather than just persist with experience players for the sake of it.

In the first half the build up play was good but just not enough chances created and poor decisions made in the final 3rd. Defensively we look solid with the back 4 and Ramsdale in goal. Need to sort out the attack now.

Arsenal's revival gathered pace as Tottenham's recent decline continued in an entertaining north London derby at Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners propped up the table after three games while Spurs were top under new manager Nuno Espirito Santo - how things have changed as a rampant Arsenal ripped their shambolic rivals to shreds in a brilliant first half.

Emile Smith Rowe started the celebrations for the Arsenal fans when he arrived unmarked to sweep home Bukayo Saka's cross after 12 minutes before the scorer turned provider as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang got the second midway through the half.

Spurs were producing a horror show and nothing summed it up better than Arsenal's third after 34 minutes. Harry Kane fell over the ball in a Spurs attack then missed two tackles on Saka as he raced back into his own penalty area to try to rescue the situation. Saka compounded the agony with a calm finish.

Inevitably, Spurs improved after the break, Kane bringing a good save from Aaron Ramsdale and wasting a good chance, before Son Heung-min pulled one back.

Ramsdale spared Arsenal any late anxiety with another superb stop, touching Lucas Moura's shot on to the bar as Mikel Arteta's side closed out a richly deserved win.

What a brilliant derby win. This really is Arteta's team now - 6 of the starting XI were signed by him, and the other 5 he gave new contracts to.

Great win against Spurs. I knew we would win. This is by far the best win of Arteta's managerial career so far.

Defence and GK look great.

Ramsdale and Tomiyasu look like good upgrades over Leno and Bellerin (respectively).

Don't want to get carried away but this is team that should be looking to finish in the top 5. The way I see it the top 4 is settled and there will be a battle for 5th place between Arsenal and Spurs.

As I have been saying for 2 years, have faith in Arteta and back him in the market. He will make Arsenal great again.

He has all the qualities to be a world class manager.

As I have been saying for 2 years, have faith in Arteta and back him in the market. He will make Arsenal great again.

He has all the qualities to be a world class manager.

Agreed.

I know it's still early days but what are your initial thoughts on Ramsdale and Tomiyasu?

Double T (Tierney and Tomiyasu) are awesome, could end up being the best two wing backs in the league.

Sunday's victory was superb. Any victory over Tottenham is fantastic.
However, let's keep it in perspective.
Tottenham are in disarray. Their midfield was non existent and other teams won't allow us to cut through them like butter..

I hope this is the beginning of a new dawn for us and Saturdays game against Brighton at Hove will be a huge test. If we win that game then I'll truly start to believe.

Agreed.

I know it's still early days but what are your initial thoughts on Ramsdale and Tomiyasu?

Both are highly impressive. I am convinced that Ramsdale will be Arsenal best GK since Seaman and also a future England number 1.

He has character and passion. Leno has more ability but he has none of the qualities that Ramsdale has.

Tomiyasu is a huge upgrade on Bellerin because he is a natural defender. The way he dealt with Son was incredible. Son has destroyed Bellerin numerous times and Spurs would probably have won if Bellerin was marking him.

Granit Xhaka has been ruled out for up to three months after suffering a knee injury in the north London derby.

Arsenal will offer France forward Alexandre Lacazette, 30, to Sevilla as part of a deal to sign 25-year-old Morocco striker Youssef En-Nesyri.

Brighton were left to rue several missed opportunities as Arsenal claimed a point at Amex Stadium.

Graham Potter's side were more comfortable and confident in possession but failed to turn their first-half dominance into goals, with Dan Burn heading the Seagulls' best opportunity over the crossbar from point-blank range.

Leandro Trossard and Neal Maupay were also guilty of missing the target from promising positions, while Shane Duffy headed against the side-netting from Pascal Gross's corner.

The Gunners' best first-half opportunity fell to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who nodded against the outside of the post from Bukayo Saka's looping cross.

Emile Smith Rowe shot straight at Brighton goalkeeper Robert Sanchez in a rare second-half attack, but an Arsenal winner would have been harsh on the hosts.

Lucky to get a point at Brighton but they're in good form as evident from their position in the PL table.

Tomiyasu has been very good so far but yesterday he looked poor and was getting sh1t on by Brighton's left wing midfielder. Hopefully he'll bounce back from this.

The more I see of Ramsdale, the more he impresses me. I'm sure he'll be England's no.1 soon.

Jack Wilshere training with Arsenal as club show support for former midfielder's future

Jack Wilshere is training with Arsenal as his former club support him with his future in the game.

The 29-year-old has been a free agent since his deal at Bournemouth expired at the end of last season.

He spent a short time last month training with Serie B outfit Como having spoken about his lack of offers and the impact it was having on his mental health.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta was then asked if Wilshere would be welcome back to the club to train, replying "the door is always open".

Now Wilshere, who played 197 games for Arsenal over 10 years, is training predominantly with the under-23s at the club's London Colney training centre.

The PA news agency understands he will occasionally join in with the first team and use the opportunity to study coaching approaches in an agreement that will run until the end of January.

"What you should believe is that we want to help Jack prepare for his next stage, physically, mentally," Arteta told the club's official website.

"He wants to do his coaching badges again and we are prepared to fulfil all the needs that he wants. That is basically the idea and it is no further than that.

"I am very happy to have him back.

"We had a conversation with Jack and understand the needs that he has, the period that he is going through and I think everyone at the club agreed it was the right moment to help him.

"We sat down with him and we listened to what he wanted to do and what stage he is and we are prepared to do anything we can to help him.

"He is going to be training sometimes with us. He is going to be around the place. He is going to be continuing his coaching badges that he is very interested in.

"(We will) try to get him fit, try to get his experiences across to our players, our young players, our academy and I think it is a great influence to have around."

When speaking about a potential link-up with Wilshere last month, Arteta played down any chances of him signing for the club.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...re-training-with-arsenal-as-club-show-support

Real Madrid and Wales forward Gareth Bale, 32, will receive an offer from Arsenal in the January window. (Defensa Central)

Up to 9th after today's 3 1 win over Villa.

Crisis over for now.

Brilliant performance from start to finish, full of energy, pressing and drive. If only we could see that attitude more often.

Cue getting rolled over with 1 shot away to Leicester next weekend.

Brilliant performance from start to finish, full of energy, pressing and drive. If only we could see that attitude more often.

Cue getting rolled over with 1 shot away to Leicester next weekend.

Leicester will be the real test.
Villa were absolutely awful as bad, if not worse, then Tottenham we're when they visited the Emirates.

Leicester will be the real test.
Villa were absolutely awful as bad, if not worse, then Tottenham we're when they visited the Emirates.

I disagree, we deserve far more credit in this Villa game. With the introduction of a fired-up Lacazette our pressing game went up a notch and we pinned them back all match, hunted the ball and strangled them so we won the ball back high.

They had no out-ball because the front line were giving them no time, White and Gabriel dominated the Villa strikers and won every duel, Partey and Lokonga dominated the midfield.

The Spurs game was different as they played literally without a midfield, so just one pass to Partey or Xhaka and the game was open. This time, we sustained high pressure and energy and attacked their 5 low block wave after wave.

I agree though that Leicester will be a bigger test than those 2.

I disagree, we deserve far more credit in this Villa game. With the introduction of a fired-up Lacazette our pressing game went up a notch and we pinned them back all match, hunted the ball and strangled them so we won the ball back high.

They had no out-ball because the front line were giving them no time, White and Gabriel dominated the Villa strikers and won every duel, Partey and Lokonga dominated the midfield.

The Spurs game was different as they played literally without a midfield, so just one pass to Partey or Xhaka and the game was open. This time, we sustained high pressure and energy and attacked their 5 low block wave after wave.

I agree though that Leicester will be a bigger test than those 2.

I'm still to be convinced.
You are right in that Tottenham had no midfield but Aston Villa is still trying to build their new misfield and we're coming back off of a horrendous game against wolves. We started the same way as we did against Palace with the high pressing. Just that we dropped off against Palace and kept it going against Aston Villa.

Really we should be sitting in 4th position today albeit having played one game extra...
let's see if we can maintain the high press and energy against Leicester

Unbeaten in our last 9 games now after that 2-0 win over Leicester, and into 5th (level on points with 4th). The show goes on!

Arsenal continued their recent resurgence with a comfortable Premier League win over Leicester City at King Power Stadium.

The visitors capitalised on a lacklustre start from the hosts to dominate the early exchanges and were rewarded with a two-goal lead inside 20 minutes.

Gabriel put the Gunners in front, climbing above several static Leicester defenders to head in from Bukayo Saka's corner, while Emile Smith Rowe picked his spot when the ball broke to him after good work from Saka and Alexandre Lacazette.

Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale also produced several fine saves as Mikel Arteta's side showed defensive resolve to record a seventh league game without defeat.

They climb from 10th to fifth in the table, level on points with fourth-placed West Ham, before Saturday's other fixtures.

It was a disappointing afternoon for Leicester who remain in mid-table.

Brendan Rodgers' side were roared on by an enthusiastic home crowd but struggled to find the rhythm and poise that helped them to successive victories over Manchester United and Brentford.

James Maddison's curling free-kick just before the break brought an excellent save from Ramsdale but despite a significant improvement after the break they were unable to claw themselves back into the contest.

After starting the campaign with three consecutive defeats, which included a dismal display at Manchester City, Arsenal are beginning to look like a well-oiled machine.

Their fifth victory in seven matches has propelled them into the mix for European places and ensured any pressure on Arteta has eased.

This performance followed the template laid out against Aston Villa just over a week ago, with the Gunners setting a tempo that the hosts struggled to deal with early on.

Nuno Tavares charged forward from left-back while the likes of Saka, Smith Rowe and Thomas Partey largely controlled midfield.

England winger Saka was particularly impressive, dancing through the home defence within two minutes to almost lay on a chance for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and then contributing to both goals.

Arsenal's resilience is also likely to have pleased their Spanish boss, with Ramsdale key to that.

Aside from denying Maddison, the former Sheffield United player made a superb save from Foxes substitute Ademola Lookman - although credit should also go to Ben White and Gabriel for a series of important clearances as Leicester pressed forward.

Rodgers' side had all the momentum after the interval but Luke Thomas drove a good chance wide, while Jamie Vardy's missed header summed up their day.

BBC

Back