Arsenal FC | 2021/22 Season

<b>Arsenal 2-0 Leicester</b>

Arsenal maintained their push to secure Champions League football as they beat Leicester City to earn a fifth successive Premier League win.

The deserved victory at Emirates Stadium lifted Arsenal back into fourth place, one point above Manchester United, who beat fellow top-four contenders Tottenham on Saturday.

Thomas Partey headed in unchallenged from Gabriel Martinelli's corner after 11 minutes as the hosts capitalised on their dominant start.

Partey also struck the crossbar as Arsenal pressed for a second, while goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale was twice called upon to deny Harvey Barnes - including a superb reaction save from a header - as the visitors threatened before half-time.

But, after Leicester defender Caglar Soyuncu was penalised for handball following a lengthy video assistant referee review, Alexandre Lacazette fired in a 59th-minute penalty to put the Gunners in control.

Soyuncu received only a yellow card as Partey's still goal-bound header was cleared off the line by the alert Luke Thomas.

However, there was to be no way back for Brendan Rodgers's side, who remain 12th in the table.

Seeking to end a five-year absence from Europe's elite club competition, Arsenal ensured they remain in pole position in the race to qualify with a ninth win in 11 league games.

With three games in hand over fifth-placed United from which to further strengthen their position, Mikel Arteta's men - unlike their immediate rivals - have achieved consistency in both performances and results to emerge as favourites for fourth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60635697

Arsenal could actually upset the balance of Liverpool’s season quite considerably this week!

Arsenal could actually upset the balance of Liverpool’s season quite considerably this week!

il take a point now from liverpool game, its best we can hope for.

Also think we need another 22/23 points from remaining games to get 4th spot which means 7 or 8 wins from last 12 games.

An expected loss to Liverpool, I'm not too beat up about it. Was massively encouraged by our performance in the first hour or so until their goal. We dominated for large periods of the game and were extremely well organised. Unfortunately, a team with Mane, Jota, Diaz, Salah, Firmino will eventually find the net. We do not have the luxury of such elite attacking players.

Our improvement in competitiveness in these big games is clear to see, but not showing in results yet sadly. Onto Villa, our fight is not with Liverpool/Man City, but with Man United, Tottenham and West Ham. We are better than them.

Mikel Arteta has confirmed Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale will be out of action for the next few weeks with a muscle injury, meaning the 23-year-old has also been forced to withdraw from the England squad.

"Aaron Ramsdale has got an injury, he had an injury in his oblique muscle and he will be out for a few weeks," Arteta said ahead of his side's Premier League clash at Aston Villa on Saturday.

— — —

Bit of a blow this.

He did let in an uncharacteristically soft goal against Liverpool but Ramsdale on the whole has had a brilliant season.

<b>Aston Villa 0-1 Arsenal</b>

Arsenal strengthened their grip on fourth place in the Premier League with a narrow victory at Aston Villa.

Bukayo Saka was the standout player as the Gunners secured a sixth win from seven games to move four points clear of fifth-placed Manchester United with a game in hand.

The England international scored the only goal in the first half with a low drive from the edge of the area after Villa failed to properly clear a cross into the box.

Villa improved after the break and went close when Ollie Watkins' deflected shot clipped the outside of the post, before substitute Danny Ings sent a looping header on to the roof of the net.

— — —

Big win for Arsenal.

4 points clear of Man Utd in 4th place.

Vast improvement in Arsenal recently.

I wonder if Auba moving on has united the squad?

Do Arsenal have any tricky away fixtures against top 6 in their last 10 games?

Do Arsenal have any tricky away fixtures against top 6 in their last 10 games?

Remaining 10 games:

4 Apr - Crystal Palace (A)
9 Apr - Brighton (H)
16 Apr - Southampton (A)
20 Apr - Chelsea (A)
23 Apr - Man United (H)
1 May - West Ham (H)
7 May - Leeds (H)
15 May - Newcastle (A)
22 May - Everton (H)
TBC - Tottenham (A)

All winnable games except perhaps the Chelsea game.

Remaining 10 games:

4 Apr - Crystal Palace (A)
9 Apr - Brighton (H)
16 Apr - Southampton (A)
20 Apr - Chelsea (A)
23 Apr - Man United (H)
1 May - West Ham (H)
7 May - Leeds (H)
15 May - Newcastle (A)
22 May - Everton (H)
TBC - Tottenham (A)

All winnable games except perhaps the Chelsea game.

Back to back games with Chelsea and United will be crucial for CL qualification

Back to back games with Chelsea and United will be crucial for CL qualification

Wednesday night to Saturday early kick off as well, as we have just done with Liverpool (H) and Villa (A).

This is what Arteta was furious about in a recent press conference.

Getting 4 points is a minimum from Spurs, Chelsea and United. Doubt they'll get one, maybe against United

Steven Gerrard: Bukayo Saka 'will have to learn to toughen up' after Arsenal forward asked for more protection

Steven Gerrard has warned Bukayo Saka he needs to toughen up after the Arsenal winger asked for more protection during the Gunners' victory over Aston Villa.

Saka told BT Sport after scoring the only goal in a 1-0 victory at Villa Park that he had talked to referee Andrew Madley about the treatment he was getting from the Villa players.

"I wasn't complaining to the ref but I just wanted to let him know that that's my game, running at players with pace, and sometimes I need a bit more protection when players are purposefully trying to kick me," Saka said.

Tyrone Mings was booked for catching Saka late with his studs, while the England man also earned numerous free-kicks before being substituted with 20 minutes to go.

Villa boss Gerrard had little sympathy, though, saying: "It's part of the game. The last time I checked it's not a no-contact sport. I think tackles are allowed, physicality's allowed.

"He's a good player, he's an outstanding talent and I love him. But he can't complain about that side. That's football.

"I'm sitting here now with screws in my hips, I've had about 16 operations, I'm struggling to go to the gym at the moment. That's all on the back of earning a living in English football. He'll learn and he'll learn quick."

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta had a different reaction to the same question, saying: "We have to listen to the players. They are the reason why we are all here."

The victory was Arsenal's sixth from seven games and moved them four points clear of Manchester United with a game in hand in the race to qualify for the Champions League.

"We have 10 games to go and what we did yesterday or today, it's not relevant, it's what we're going to do tomorrow, how we're going to prepare and how we're going to improve the team and play better to win more games," said Arteta.

"When we're so dominant like we were, we have to score the second and the third one."

Villa did not manage a shot until the hour mark and did not test Bernd Leno until injury time at the end of the game.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ter-arsenal-forward-asked-for-more-protection

Real Madrid are preparing a £50m bid for Arsenal and Scotland defender Kieran Tierney, 24. (Sunday Post)

3-0 defeat to Crystal Palace. Massive dent for the Gunners in the race for Champions League places.

Looked like a team who had one eye on the summer break and not a team challenging for a top 4 finish.

Terrible and lacklustre performance.

That was just a dreadful performance. Tierney injured beforehand, Partey injured during. Could be the day the top 4 charge falls apart, they have to show some mettle now.

That was men v boys. One of the worst thumpings that an Arsenal side has taken in a while.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] Do you think we'll get top 4? I think Spurs are favourites now. They have a much easier run in.

We still need to play Chelsea (away), Spurs (away), Man Utd (home) and West Ham (away). Assuming we win the other games, as a minimum we need to avoid defeat against Chelsea and Spurs then beat Man Utd and West Ham to guarantee 4th.

Last edited:
Arsenal defender Kieran Tierney is likely to miss the rest of the Premier League season with a left knee injury.

The Scotland left-back will undergo surgery in the "forthcoming days", a Gunners statement confirmed.

Tierney, 24, suffered the injury during a training session last week and missed Monday's 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace.

Chances of a UCL spot floating away from Arsenal at this rate

Arsenal handed the initiative in the race for Champions League qualification to rivals Tottenham as Brighton ended their own dire run of form with a deserved win at Emirates Stadium.

The Seagulls - seven games without a victory before kick-off - frustrated the home side with their organisation and efficient forward play in a game where Arsenal failed to look threatening until they mustered a desperate late push.

Leandro Trossard's curling first-half finish - after a fine assist by the impressive Enock Mwepu - gave Graham Potter's side something to build on.

And after Gabriel Martinelli appeared to have headed Arsenal level moments before the break - only for a four-minute VAR check to rule him offside - Brighton remained solid before doubling their lead with a superb Mwepu finish.

The Zambia midfielder side-footed home with power from the edge of the box to cap a rounded individual display and produce a look of disbelief on the face of Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta.

Arteta's side rallied late on with Martin Odegaard firing home from range via a deflection but they stay fifth - level on points with fourth-placed Tottenham with eight games to play - while Potter's Brighton move up to 11th after just a fourth win in 26 league games.

BBC

Arsenal have collapsed.

Could now miss out on the last CL place and be pipped to the post by their bitter rivals Spurs.

Think it's safe to say we've lost 4th spot. Arteta doesn't know what he's doing and the energy/intensity of his side has disappeared.

Think it's safe to say we've lost 4th spot. Arteta doesn't know what he's doing and the energy/intensity of his side has disappeared.

Not buying a striker in January could be the nail in his coffin.

How I wish we even had Giroud in the squad... watching Laca trying to jump with the various centre backs is like watching a scene out of Gullivers Travels.
Also, he simply can't score from open play.
So far too much pressure on our kids

Not buying a striker in January could be the nail in his coffin.

How I wish we even had Giroud in the squad... watching Laca trying to jump with the various centre backs is like watching a scene out of Gullivers Travels.
Also, he simply can't score from open play.
So far too much pressure on our kids

This is on Arterta. If you're gonna get rid of Aubameyang, you should have lined up an alternative first. Also, with such a thin squad, he needs to find a way of playing a system without the first team full backs and Partey.

Lacazette should not be starting. He has been awful. I call him "Lacofthreat".

Arteta must go. This is unacceptable. You don’t deserve CL anyways if your are going to put on horror shows like this against Palace and Brighton regardless of playing away or home

Big points lost by Arsenal, for the top 4 fight, last thing to happen is lose to Brighton with all due respect. It shows Arsenal lack in the same departments for past few seasons.

In vital games the team doesn’t step up.

0491e3a1-4b08-4b2a-93d3-1e4a68caefb9.png

Arsenal missed the chance to move level on points with fourth-placed Tottenham as Southampton won at St Mary's to inflict a third successive defeat on Mikel Arteta's team.

Jan Bednarek scored the game's only goal late in the first half after the Gunners had failed to adequately deal with a Saints corner.

Bukayo Saka was denied from point-blank range by Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster with the score still goalless, but further clear-cut openings proved hard to come by for the visitors until the closing stages of the second half.

Emile Smith Rowe forced another fine save out of Forster after latching on to Yan Valery's attempted clearance, before Martin Odegaard dragged a left-footed shot wide of the near post after cutting in from the right.

Forster produced yet another impressive stop to deny Granit Xhaka late on as Arsenal desperately piled forward in search of an equaliser.

The Gunners remain three points behind fourth-placed Tottenham - who were beaten at home to Brighton earlier on Saturday - although they do still have a game in hand on their north London rivals.

Southampton, meanwhile, climb to 11th after claiming their first league win since February.

Terrible run after it looked like they had turned things around.

Not enough quality in the squad and it looks like there are no strikers who know where the net is.

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has urged Alexandre Lacazette to focus on the Gunners after the player revealed he had opened talks with "a lot of clubs".

The France forward, 30, is out of contract in the summer and free to speak to other teams.

Arteta said Arsenal took a risk in delaying contract talks with Lacazette.

"The contracts start and end with the expiry date that you have agreed on that day that you put the pen down," added Arteta.

Speaking to Canal Plus earlier in the week, Lacazette said he was "missing" playing in the Champions League and that he had "never cut contact" with Lyon, who he left to join Arsenal five years ago.

Arsenal's hopes of finishing in the top four and qualifying for the Champions League have been dented by three straight defeats before Wednesday's London derby at Chelsea.

The Gunners, who have one game in hand, are three points behind fourth-placed Tottenham with seven matches left.

Lacazette has captained Arsenal since Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was stripped of the captaincy by Arteta in December for a disciplinary breach.

Aubameyang has since joined Barcelona where he has scored eight times in 10 La Liga games.

Asked about Lacazette's contract situation, Arteta added: "We have expressed clearly what our intention is - to speak in the summer once we know where we are, about what we are going to do in the future together.

"And for the rest, I just want him fully focused on his duty, which is now defend Arsenal in the best possible way, like he has done all the time he has been with us.

"That's why he has been wearing the armband of this football club, that's a big reason."

Lacazette is unlikely to feature at Chelsea after testing positive for coronavirus and Arteta admitted the player's time at Arsenal could be running out, with talks over a new deal having been left until the season is finished.

"It is the agreement that we made with him, that was our position and our position remains the same, that is what we are going to do," he said.

"The risk of that happening, it was always there since the moment we made that decision, then it is up to him."

BBC

One wonder if Lehmann was not sent off on that night in Paris thr future of Arsenal might had changed

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Worth staying up for <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BBCMOTD</a> for <a href="https://twitter.com/Arsenal?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Arsenal</a>’s 2nd goal. An absolute beauty.</p>— Gary Lineker &#55357;&#56473;&#55357;&#56475; (@GaryLineker) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1516857583289651205?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 20, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We're playing like the old Wenger days...
Defensively poor...

Just when you think Arteta is in trouble and Arsenal are awful they pull out a result like tonight's 4-2 win over Chelsea.

What a crazy team.

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal's 4-2 victory over Chelsea can give the Gunners belief in their important upcoming matches

Mikel Arteta believes Arsenal's stunning 4-2 victory over Chelsea will give his players the belief they can complete their top-four mission.

The Gunners bounced back from three consecutive defeats in style while ending their goal-shy form to move level on points with fourth-placed Tottenham after 32 games played each.

Arsenal face tough tests against Manchester United and West Ham in their next two matches ahead of a visit to Spurs next month, but Arteta reckons their win at Chelsea can play a significant role in their important fixtures to come.

"I think it will help because it gives you confidence and belief you can do it on the biggest stage, away from home against the top teams in this league," Arteta told Sky Sports. "Hopefully they can believe more in themselves.

"That's the game that we had in hand. I said to them if you want to play Champions League football you have to come to places like this and win. Tonight we've done it and I'm really proud of them tonight, but I'm more proud of how they've reacted to every defeat over the past few weeks. Not only the players but as a staff and a club, and that's what reinforces me and gives me a reminder of how lucky I am to be here.

"What I love is the spirit of these players. When you lose matches, you get punished, you get criticised but for these players I don't care because it's so worth it. They are phenomenal people and as a group they are really growing. To win a London derby away from home and how we did it, I am really happy."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...rs-belief-in-their-important-upcoming-matches

Arsenal are looking to bring Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, 25, to the Emirates, with the Gunners' technical director Edu having held discussions with the Brazil international's representatives. (Athletic)

Arsenal are looking to bring Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, 25, to the Emirates, with the Gunners' technical director Edu having held discussions with the Brazil international's representatives. (Athletic)
[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] [MENTION=138771]Firebat[/MENTION] [MENTION=491]IMMY69[/MENTION]

Thoughts? I think this would be a good signing. He's just turned 25. Don't think he'd be an expensive signing. Also he's a good finisher who deserved more game time at City especially because they don't even have a natural number 9.

Reaching top 4 with this bare thread squad would be quite an achievement

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] [MENTION=138771]Firebat[/MENTION] [MENTION=491]IMMY69[/MENTION]

Thoughts? I think this would be a good signing. He's just turned 25. Don't think he'd be an expensive signing. Also he's a good finisher who deserved more game time at City especially because they don't even have a natural number 9.

I agree.
I think it would be a good signing. He should thrive with our playmakers around him.
But I would like another striker option too.

Arsenal capped off a big week for their Champions League hopes by beating Manchester United to stay fourth in the Premier League.

Nuno Tavares capitalised on some poor defending to tap in the opener before Bukayo Saka converted a penalty.

Cristiano Ronaldo pulled a goal straight back on his return to the United side and Bruno Fernandes missed a second-half penalty for the visitors.

But Granit Xhaka's fine strike secured Arsenal's second win in four days.

BBC

Arsenal capped off a big week for their Champions League hopes by beating Manchester United to stay fourth in the Premier League.

Nuno Tavares capitalised on some poor defending to tap in the opener before Bukayo Saka converted a penalty.

Cristiano Ronaldo pulled a goal straight back on his return to the United side and Bruno Fernandes missed a second-half penalty for the visitors.

But Granit Xhaka's fine strike secured Arsenal's second win in four days.

BBC

Giant killer mode activated :D

Then couldn't muster a point from Brighton, Palace or Southampton. The damage's been done with their upcoming fixtures

Arsenal should actually go all out and try getting Deiogo Djota to play him as their no.1 striker

He is the one who will get them 20-30 league goals per season for the next 4-5 years

I agree.
I think it would be a good signing. He should thrive with our playmakers around him.
But I would like another striker option too.

Arsenal should actually go all out and try getting Deiogo Djota to play him as their no.1 striker

He is the one who will get them 20-30 league goals per season for the next 4-5 years

2 goals and an assist already from Jesus and it's not even half time!

Wow we need to sign him up now. Great audition for what Arsenal have been missing.

I would love to have Jota in our team but Liverpool will never sell him to us and I don't think he would even want to join us.

Great win today.
But also some awful refereeing...

We did get lucky especially with that penalty miss. Not sure why Bruno took it instead of Ronaldo. That was a big let-off.

Agreed. His goalscoring numbers don't flatter him as he usually plays different positions across the front 3, but his record when playing ST is very good. Just don't think he is that elite finisher that could lead a UCL club in 40+ games, but I could be wrong. Perhaps Arteta is not looking for just that, but an industrious system player that can take on some of (not all) the goal responsibility. In other words, a Lacazette that can run and score more.

There are clear positives: age, cost, PL-proven, Arteta knows him well, worked with Pep playing on the big stage all these years.

Ideally, he would be one of a couple attacking acquisitions to replace Lacazette and Nketiah and share minutes across the front 3 similarly to City. If he was the only attacker brought in I don't think that's enough, especially with increased funds from European football.

Very nervy game today but got the job done. Beat Chelsea and United in less than 72 hours, huge credit to them.

Cedric and Tavares dropped almost 0/10 performances, Tomiyasu and Tierney have been big misses this season. Hopefully with the former's return we can get back to a sturdier defence for the final leg of the season.

Most credit goes to Xhaka and a fasting Elneny, their composure and experience in pressure games and situations is top class.

Arsenal have taken steps to sign Napoli and Nigeria striker Victor Osimhen, 23. (Gazzetta dello Sport via HITC)

Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, 25, has refused to commit his future beyond the end of the season. (Guardian)

Arsenal believe they can complete a summer deal for the Brazil international. (Mail)

Arsenal have registered their interest in signing Manchester United and England forward Marcus Rashford, 24. (Football Insider)

Arsenal have registered their interest in signing Manchester United and England forward Marcus Rashford, 24. (Football Insider)

Rashford will be lucky to stay in the PL at all after this season.

He is not even Darren Bent level.

Last edited:
Rashford will be lucky to stay in the PL at all after this season.

He is not even Darren Bent level.

Arsenal have a reputation for taking on lost causes, and doing nothing with them :D

Arsenal have a reputation for taking on lost causes, and doing nothing with them :D

apparently £45m has been set aside for his potential transfer.

Game is mad. Outrageous money for a slightly above average player.

I think Rashford has been mismanaged over the last two to three years.
Does that mean he should come to Arsenal? I'm undecided on this one.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"There will still be twists and turns." &#55357;&#56576;<br><br>Mikel Arteta analyses the Top 4️⃣ run-in ahead of Sunday's match with West Ham &#55357;&#56628; <a href="https://t.co/5AbgVDNLC4">pic.twitter.com/5AbgVDNLC4</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1520015216305745926?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Battle continues for 4th place.

Fantastic win at West Ham today.

Somehow they keep defying their critics.

'Big teams win ugly' - Arsenal back into top 4

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said it was the sign of a big team to be able to win ugly as the Gunners beat West Ham at London Stadium to reclaim fourth spot in the Premier League.

The Gunners knew only a win would lift them back into the Champions League places after Tottenham beat Leicester earlier in the afternoon, but Mikel Arteta's side responded by grinding out an important three points.

It was Arteta's centre-backs who came up with the goods, with Gabriel Magalhaes nodding the winner early in the second half after Rob Holding had opened the scoring from Bukayo Saka's 38th-minute corner.

"We didn't play so well," Arteta said.

"If I have to use a word it would be we won ugly. Big teams have to find a way to win ugly when they don't play well."

Speaking on Sky Sports, he added: "We found a way through set pieces and defending strongly. To win here at West Ham is credit to boys and shows the spirit we have."

Jarrod Bowen did pull the Hammers level just before the break, controlling Vladimir Coufal's cross and squeezing a strike into the bottom corner in what was a reward for a strong first-half performance.

But David Moyes' outfit failed to reach those levels after going behind for a second time - and defeat leaves them seventh, three points behind sixth-placed Manchester United with three games remaining.

"I thought we had done well enough," Moyes said.

"We conceded a couple of set pieces which we are normally very good at, both attacking and defending. We also made a few changes which left out some of the bigger players who might have been involved in those situations.

"We knew that was a risk and we got punished for it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61205838

Brilliant result against West Ham.

I hope we don’t sign Trashford. This guy should be playing for a championship club.

Spurs will pip them for 4th place better squad better coach and perhaps better stadium 🏟

Spurs will pip them for 4th place better squad better coach and perhaps better stadium 🏟

If spurs lose to Liverpool and Arsenal beat Leeds

There is no way they will he able to catch up a 5 point deficit in the last two games of the season

4 Games left and need to just go 1 game at a time. Leeds is next and 3 points needed.

With no europe this season, there should have been no excuses not to challenge for top 4. Add to that the 2 poor cup exits, to so called focus on league again points to a top 4 finish is a must.

This squad still needs 5/6 quality players adding to squad to move forward.

Hoping that Leeds can spoil the Arsenal party.

It’s a forlorn hope.

:))

Arsenal and Manchester United target Paolo Dybala has had an offer to join Borussia Dortmund when the 28-year-old Argentina forward's Juventus contract ends in the summer

If spurs lose to Liverpool and Arsenal beat Leeds

There is no way they will he able to catch up a 5 point deficit in the last two games of the season

it would be 3 games, spurs play Arsenal on thursday. so lets not get carried away here.

Arsenal are closing in on a £40m deal for Leicester's Belgian midfielder Youri Tielemans but Real Madrid are ready to move for the 25-year-old if the Gunners fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Arsenal took a huge step towards securing Champions League football next season as they saw off an ill-disciplined Leeds United, with the 10-man visitors dropping into the Premier League relegation zone.

It was a fourth successive win for Mikel Arteta's side and one that puts them firmly in the driving seat for a top-four spot before Thursday's north London derby at Tottenham.

But Leeds' early capitulation was entirely of their own making, with goalkeeper Illan Meslier gifting the hosts an opener before captain Luke Ayling was sent off for a needless lunge on Gabriel Martinelli.

Eddie Nketiah pounced on Meslier's loose touch to open the scoring and then finished a swift move to double the Gunners' lead before Ayling's rash challenge left Leeds a man down for more than an hour.

The Elland Road outfit did not have an effort on goal until Diego Llorente headed past Aaron Ramsdale in the 66th minute to tee up more of a nervy finish than anyone inside Emirates Stadium would have anticipated.

Leeds applied some late pressure, sending Meslier up for set-pieces, but the fourth-placed hosts were never seriously in danger of losing their lead and now hold a four-point lead over Tottenham in fifth.

Defeat for Leeds, coupled with Everton's win at Leicester, means Jesse Marsch's side slip into the bottom three with three games remaining.

BBC

Leeds were a complete disaster in the first half but did well in the second half, got the goal and might have come back for a draw on another day (the sending off did not help them!) — Arsenal were sufficient value for the win in the end, but they almost got complacent and need to sharpen up at the back end of games.

Leeds were a complete disaster in the first half but did well in the second half, got the goal and might have come back for a draw on another day (the sending off did not help them!) — Arsenal were sufficient value for the win in the end, but they almost got complacent and need to sharpen up at the back end of games.

As soon as leeds when down to 10 men - Arsenal were awful after. Xhaka spent more time stupidly arguing trying to get himself booked or sent off then he did passing ball quickly.

Spurs will not be easy on thurs and is a must not lose game. il take a point now.

Are league record vs newcastle is good win 17 out of last 18 i think..but they are a different team now so going there and winning will be tough. so dont want team having to win last 2 games if we lose to spurs.

A draw thurs means we wud need to just win one of last 2 games left.

Surely Chelsea are in danger of missing top 4?

Their remaining games in the league are away to Leeds, home to Leicester and home to Watford.

You expect them to win them to seal top 4 at the very least with these games left.

If we can avoid defeat to Spurs, then we should have this in the bag but if we can win at Tottenham there would be no greater feeling than to beat them to sealing top 4.

Back