Arsenal FC | 2021/22 Season

Their remaining games in the league are away to Leeds, home to Leicester and home to Watford.

You expect them to win them to seal top 4 at the very least with these games left.

Who knows with the type of form they're in. They've lost to Brentford and Everton, drawn to Wolves in the last 7 games.

The Leeds and Watford games should logically be walkovers though.

Arsenal team and fanbase are a nervous wreck.

The talent and ability is clearly there, we battered Leeds all game, 19 shots, 64% possession, 2.85 xG, yet we almost didn't even win.

Same thing in that 1-0 loss to Southampton. We were finishing chances and finishing these games off with far more ease earlier in the season.

Only Elneny, Xhaka and Odegaard have ever played a single UCL minute in that team today, the youngest in the league, in a club that hasn't done so in 6 years and a manager that has never managed a UCL game.

Everyone is clearly very nervous and really wants to get it. We have the ability, just need to keep our heads and we will do it easily. The mentality is something this young side clearly need to develop.

Mikel Arteta on Arsenal's clash with Spurs: 'It can be a defining moment'

Mikel Arteta is ready to lead Arsenal into what could be the "defining moment" of their season when they travel to Tottenham on Thursday knowing victory will seal a return to the Champions League.

A double from Eddie Nketiah was just about enough to secure a 2-1 victory over 10-man Leeds on Sunday to leave the Gunners on the cusp of ending a five-year wait for top-tier European football.

Leeds rallied despite having Luke Ayling sent off before the half-hour and pulled one back through Diego Llorente but have slipped into the Premier League bottom three.

Arsenal now sit four points clear of their neighbours in fourth place and move to within just a single point of Chelsea ahead of them.

Victory in Thursday’s rearranged north London derby would be enough to seal a Champions League berth for the first time since 2017 and Arteta is excited by the prospect.

“We are going to go for that match with the same enthusiasm that we always do but knowing that this can be a defining moment,” he said.

“It can be another layer of motivation for us to really go for it. I can’t wait for the game.

“We have earned the right to play that game in that context. We started the season with nine or 10 players out and playing the best two teams in Europe.”

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-defining-moment-marsch-leeds-need-to-regroup

Arsenal team and fanbase are a nervous wreck.

The talent and ability is clearly there, we battered Leeds all game, 19 shots, 64% possession, 2.85 xG, yet we almost didn't even win.

Same thing in that 1-0 loss to Southampton. We were finishing chances and finishing these games off with far more ease earlier in the season.

Only Elneny, Xhaka and Odegaard have ever played a single UCL minute in that team today, the youngest in the league, in a club that hasn't done so in 6 years and a manager that has never managed a UCL game.

Everyone is clearly very nervous and really wants to get it. We have the ability, just need to keep our heads and we will do it easily. The mentality is something this young side clearly need to develop.

Your raving on about how many chances we created against the worst defensive side in the league :)))

Most other teams would have won 6 or 7 nil once leeds went down to 10 men. yet we conceeded a goal and got lucky that last minute leeds header didnt go in.

Your raving on about how many chances we created against the worst defensive side in the league :)))

Most other teams would have won 6 or 7 nil once leeds went down to 10 men. yet we conceeded a goal and got lucky that last minute leeds header didnt go in.

Where am I raving? I was making an observation followed by a criticism if you actually read it. I'm literally agreeing with you :)))

Earlier in the season we were killing off and finishing games against these sides, whereas recently we have been creating bucket load of chances and not finishing them, while conceding nervy goals. The pressure is clearly taking a toll on them, none of our recent wins have been in any way straightforward, when some of them ought to have been.

Our front 4 (avg age 21) clearly lack the killer instinct and cutting edge under pressure right now. As I stated. This is a mentality I'd hope they will develop with more experience playing at the elite level.

Where am I raving? I was making an observation followed by a criticism if you actually read it. I'm literally agreeing with you :)))

Earlier in the season we were killing off and finishing games against these sides, whereas recently we have been creating bucket load of chances and not finishing them, while conceding nervy goals. The pressure is clearly taking a toll on them, none of our recent wins have been in any way straightforward, when some of them ought to have been.

Our front 4 (avg age 21) clearly lack the killer instinct and cutting edge under pressure right now. As I stated. This is a mentality I'd hope they will develop with more experience playing at the elite level.

Yes we have a young team and forward line, most of these players have been over played this season so its clear why there has been inconsistant performances with the teams results.

We are still 7 players behind having a good squad lets see if European games money + kronke investments bring those players in.

We need:-
RB to provide competition for Tomi

LB to provide competition for Tierney (as he cant stay fit) and Tavares is rubbish

we need 2 CM including an upgrade on xhaka

we need maybe another Attack midfielder to support oddegaard / ESR

wingers - pepe will be sold so we need a replacement also to provide competition for saka on right

strikers - we will be left with balagun, so we need 2 strikers or 1 striker and 1 wide forward

Thats alot of recruitment for EDU who always takes about a full TW just to sign 1 player normally

Club cant afford a slow TW like the summer just gone when we got all players in after losing 3 games.

Yes we have a young team and forward line, most of these players have been over played this season so its clear why there has been inconsistant performances with the teams results.

We are still 7 players behind having a good squad lets see if European games money + kronke investments bring those players in.

We need:-
RB to provide competition for Tomi

LB to provide competition for Tierney (as he cant stay fit) and Tavares is rubbish

we need 2 CM including an upgrade on xhaka

we need maybe another Attack midfielder to support oddegaard / ESR

wingers - pepe will be sold so we need a replacement also to provide competition for saka on right

strikers - we will be left with balagun, so we need 2 strikers or 1 striker and 1 wide forward

Thats alot of recruitment for EDU who always takes about a full TW just to sign 1 player normally

Club cant afford a slow TW like the summer just gone when we got all players in after losing 3 games.

Agree with your list but I think it's wishful thinking that we can get all those in this window.

For me, the 4 top priorities are: ST, wide forward/winger, CM (all starting XI level) + full back cover.

I'd rather we focus budget on getting quality additions in those areas that will raise the level of the squad, as realistically we will not splash the cash like a Man City. Hopefully European money will give us a boost there.

If we get UCL, it's unlikely we will go so deep into it like we usually do in the Europa League, so I don't think it will add a much larger burden on the squad for the next season at least.

However, we should think longer term.

Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney, Tavares (not so good), Lokonga (will improve, has good qualities), Saka, Smith Rowe, Odegaard, Martinelli all 24 and under.

Look around the teams at the top of the table. Where was Alisson at Ramsdale's age? The Brazilian league. Where was Van Dijk at Gabriel's age? Celtic. I'm not comparing them necessarily, but making a point about how we are accustomed to these players that we don't realise how good they can actually become down the line. Yet, at this age, they're already a top 4 team.

When all were fit, our side was a comfortable top 4 team (as opposed to scraping it right now), and we'd probably comfortably be in 3rd place right now if Partey, Tierney, Tomiyasu had played 38 games.

This team is going to really going to come into it's own in 3-4 windows. If we can continue to add quality additions over that time, while maintaining top 4, I really believe that this squad can be really very good.

The reason I believe in the manager is because I believe in the squad he has built, after overhauling one of mercenaries and mediocre uncles that had downed tools on Emery at the first sign of trouble, and because the squad clearly believe in and revere him (which is why they stuck with him in those low lows). He is on track to better the points total of Emery and Wenger's final season, and get us into the UCL for the first time in 6 years (hopefully). He might even better Arsenal's 71 points finishing 2nd in 15/16.

Yes it's true that he spent big in the summer, but the majority of this team have been coached up to this level by him. Saka, ESR, Odegaard, Martinelli have been unstoppable at times, they've all racked up bags of goals and assists (Saka 18, ESR 13, Odegaard 11, Martinelli 10).

The likes of Xhaka (though you may disagree), Elneny and Nketiah have been mediocre for years yet are suddenly playing the best football of their Arsenal careers and at a crucial time too. They all speak in glowing terms of Arteta's influence and improvement on them. Hell, we beat Chelsea, Man Utd and West Ham in a row when we needed it most with the likes of Cedric, Nketiah, Elneny, Tavares, Holding. Would we have lost those previous 3 with Partey, Tierney, Tomiyasu?

We just need Edu now to actually earn his paycheck and get the recruitment keeping up with the progression of the side. The last line I totally agree with, it was quite pathetic to have only brought in those players when 3 games had been wasted. With no tournament this summer, there really is no excuse to not have the new recruits in time for pre-season.

Last edited:
I agree with both AJ and Firebat.

We have nucleus of very good young players and need maybe three or four more players to build up the squad. However, two of these four players have to be absolutely world class. A top striker and another creative world class midfielder is absolutely a must.

With regards to Arteta, before his appointment we could have secured the services of a proven world class manager but for whatever reason the board bought in to Arteta's vision. So now that we're stuck with an inexperienced and unproven manager I think it would be prudent to give him more time to see where he can take these youngsters.

The test for Arteta will come if we ever do buy a proven world class player because history tells us that he hasn't done well with managing them. Ozil and Auby come to mind. Both were mismanaged and we really ought to have re-couped some money from them. Auby going on a free was a complete disaster.

[MENTION=138771]Firebat[/MENTION]

i dont think we need to break the bank to get in 5 or 6 signings, reality is we aint going to spend like man city/chelsea or newcastle (like you mentioned) but doesnt mean we cant shop smartly.

This is where i feel club is let down by Edu who only knows Brazilian Players or Agent kia players. We need to recruit smart like liverpool.

We can easily identify players who can do jobs in Different positions.

Aaron Hickey at bologna - can play LB or RB would be good option
Tyler Adams - RB and CM can play in 2 postions
Spencer Djed - RB

Midfield club should look at players who are in final years of contract or maybe ones clubs dont want - Tielemems & bissouma (both 12 months left on contracts. Douglas Luiz - these type players wont be expenensive

Strikers / wingers - Jesus, gapko, jonathan David, Luis Sinisterra

These would all fit the profile of players the club wants so signing 5/6 of the players wont break bank and will add a lot of quality to side.

One big worry club must address is the poor fitness of tierney, partey and to a slight extent Tomi. The 1st two players i can see continually missing lots of games each season and when they do the quality of team drops, balance of team is effected and most of all the system arteta wants to play with ball progression falls away. so players of similar quality need to be brought into squad.

[MENTION=138771]Firebat[/MENTION]

i dont think we need to break the bank to get in 5 or 6 signings, reality is we aint going to spend like man city/chelsea or newcastle (like you mentioned) but doesnt mean we cant shop smartly.

This is where i feel club is let down by Edu who only knows Brazilian Players or Agent kia players. We need to recruit smart like liverpool.

We can easily identify players who can do jobs in Different positions.

Aaron Hickey at bologna - can play LB or RB would be good option
Tyler Adams - RB and CM can play in 2 postions
Spencer Djed - RB

Midfield club should look at players who are in final years of contract or maybe ones clubs dont want - Tielemems & bissouma (both 12 months left on contracts. Douglas Luiz - these type players wont be expenensive

Strikers / wingers - Jesus, gapko, jonathan David, Luis Sinisterra

These would all fit the profile of players the club wants so signing 5/6 of the players wont break bank and will add a lot of quality to side.

One big worry club must address is the poor fitness of tierney, partey and to a slight extent Tomi. The 1st two players i can see continually missing lots of games each season and when they do the quality of team drops, balance of team is effected and most of all the system arteta wants to play with ball progression falls away. so players of similar quality need to be brought into squad.

It's true to be fair that we could get 5 or 6 done for little money with some smart recruitment, but I just feel that some positions need some higher level additions which need more money.

The club seem to agree with you on Tielemens, as Ornstein is reporting him to be the top midfield target, but I have reservations on that. As you've said in your 2nd point, we need a midfielder that can cover the Partey ability set. Tielemens may be skilled on the ball but he does not have nearly the physicality nor the athleticism that Partey possesses. In his peak in the Jan-March period before the injury he was covering the midfield almost by himself. Bissouma is a great shout in that regard and one I have loved for the past few years.

My broader point though, is that the players mentioned are good players but in my opinion don't raise the level of the XI that much higher than what it is (with the exception of Jesus, I think he is brilliant and would be a huge coup). At some point in this rebuild, we need to invest inevitably larger sums into elite players that transform the XI. Another Partey signing, another Aubameyang signing. I look at the CM and ST positions especially and think a Vlahovic-type killer is needed in front of goal, or an elite ball-progressor to sit next to Partey. Wishful thinking perhaps.

With the example of Liverpool, they made a number of very smart under-the-radar signings, and brought quality from the academy. We've done a lot of the same. Ramsdale, White (to an extent), Gabriel, Tierney, Martinelli, Tomiyasu, and Odegaard were are all fantastic smart additions. The latter 2 I'd call absolutely spectacular business. Of course, not to mention our academy graduates.

But at some point you need the Van Dijk-Allisson window, the attacking equivalent in our case. Maybe it's not this window, but it needs to come in order to make the next step.

If it was up to me, we'd get Jesus, Bissouma (I'll compromise on elite midfielder), Hickey (I like his versatility) and a striker who they really believe is elite/close to elite. Whether that be Nunez, Gakpo, David, I'm not fully convinced by any of them but I'd trust the club to scout properly. If Edu still has any competency left to do more work, I'd go for another full back cover like you mentioned but I reckon we could live without if necessary.

Arsenal are ready to explore a move for England forward Raheem Sterling if Manchester City agree to sell the 27-year-old this summer, when he will have one year left on his contract. (Telegraph)

The Gunners have opened talks with 29-year-old Egypt midfielder Mohamed Elneny, whose present deal with them expires in the summer. (Athletic)

<b>Jose Mourinho confirms he WILL sell Tammy Abraham this summer, if Arsenal target wants to leave Roma</b>

Jose Mourinho has claimed that he would sell Tammy Abraham this summer, if the striker wants to leave Roma.

Arsenal are strongly linked with a move for the England international as he nears the end of a strong first season in Italy, in which he has scored 24 goals and could lift the Europa Conference League trophy.

Chelsea hold a buy-back option on Abraham that can be enacted in a year’s time and Lupi boss Mourinho has outlined his confidence that the player will want to stay in Rome.

“Against Leicester he was absolutely amazing and at this moment I joke and say, ‘I refuse to praise him’ because he can always do better,” he told Sky Sports.

“He knows how happy I am. He knows how much I love the kid and the player and I'm proud of what we are doing and I'm so happy for Tammy. We have got into this situation where I demand a lot from him because I know he can do amazingly well.

“I don't think it's an easy decision for a young player to leave his club, his house, his city, his country and to leave the Premier League which is of course a competition that when a player is in its hard to leave.

“He took that option and I think he took it because he trusted me. And I think in this moment, if he wants to go back to England - I don't think he wants to no - but if he wants to go back to England he just needs to click his fingers and I'm so happy for him.”

Abraham is not the only English player to enjoy success in Serie A and Mourinho believes he serves as evidence that youngsters can improve their game away from the Premier League.

“He's back in the national team and is loved in Rome,” he continued.

“I don't say proven everybody wrong, because I think everyone knows he's a good player and I think also, with [Chris] Smalling, [Fikayo] Tomori and Tammy, showing the English boys that there is life outside the Premier League and in Italy there's a life that makes them even better players.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...sedgntp&cvid=da27b425e793448993544d7807479d9e

[MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=147314]topspin[/MENTION] [MENTION=491]IMMY69[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

Thoughts or predictions on tomorrow's game? The biggest NLD in a long long time, the first at their new stadium with fans in. It will be a very rowdy atmosphere.

Personally think we should go on the defensive similar to Stamford Bridge.

The pressure and onus is on them to win as we're 4 points ahead, anything less is a failure for them. We should aim to frustrate them until the team gets desperate and the fans get nervous, when more opportunities on the counter will arrive.

As long as we don't give Son any space to run in behind nor give Kane time on the ball, they have a lot of trouble breaking teams down.

Going for a 1-1 draw.

[MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=147314]topspin[/MENTION] [MENTION=491]IMMY69[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

Thoughts or predictions on tomorrow's game? The biggest NLD in a long long time, the first at their new stadium with fans in. It will be a very rowdy atmosphere.

Tottenham will most likely win

If they can go to Anfield and secure a point in their pursuit of CL, then Arsenal regardless of form will have a major uphill task against spurs in their home turf

Spurs favourites to win. Yes all the pressure is on them but I think Conte knows how to get manage these games as he's well established and a top tier coach. His calibre was evident from their game against Liverpool.

Arsenal have so far lost at least one game against the big 6 this season except for Spurs and I think therefore we are due to lose this one unfortunately.

Don't have a great feeling.

If we do lose, the tough away trip to Newcastle will decide whether we make top 4. I reckon we'll beat Everton at home.

I hope I'm wrong and we go on to beat Spurs and seal top 4 at their home ground. I'd be happy to take a point as well.

I'm going for a 2-1 win for Spurs.

Last edited:
<b>Jose Mourinho confirms he WILL sell Tammy Abraham this summer, if Arsenal target wants to leave Roma</b>

Jose Mourinho has claimed that he would sell Tammy Abraham this summer, if the striker wants to leave Roma.

Arsenal are strongly linked with a move for the England international as he nears the end of a strong first season in Italy, in which he has scored 24 goals and could lift the Europa Conference League trophy.

Chelsea hold a buy-back option on Abraham that can be enacted in a year’s time and Lupi boss Mourinho has outlined his confidence that the player will want to stay in Rome.

“Against Leicester he was absolutely amazing and at this moment I joke and say, ‘I refuse to praise him’ because he can always do better,” he told Sky Sports.

“He knows how happy I am. He knows how much I love the kid and the player and I'm proud of what we are doing and I'm so happy for Tammy. We have got into this situation where I demand a lot from him because I know he can do amazingly well.

“I don't think it's an easy decision for a young player to leave his club, his house, his city, his country and to leave the Premier League which is of course a competition that when a player is in its hard to leave.

“He took that option and I think he took it because he trusted me. And I think in this moment, if he wants to go back to England - I don't think he wants to no - but if he wants to go back to England he just needs to click his fingers and I'm so happy for him.”

Abraham is not the only English player to enjoy success in Serie A and Mourinho believes he serves as evidence that youngsters can improve their game away from the Premier League.

“He's back in the national team and is loved in Rome,” he continued.

“I don't say proven everybody wrong, because I think everyone knows he's a good player and I think also, with [Chris] Smalling, [Fikayo] Tomori and Tammy, showing the English boys that there is life outside the Premier League and in Italy there's a life that makes them even better players.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...sedgntp&cvid=da27b425e793448993544d7807479d9e

We shouldn't buy Abraham.

I think Eddie Nketiah has a much higher ceiling and for me they're pretty much the same level.

The agent of Brazil and Manchester City forward Gabriel Jesus has confirmed that the 25-year-old has held talks with Arsenal over a possible transfer. (Guardian)

Exactly

Arsenal can do much better if they reach CL.

Yeah and Gabriel Jesus is so much better. He needs to be our top priority as he'd be an excellent addition to this squad.

If we can keep Nketiah that would be a huge plus for this team.

Can't wait for this one. Biggest game of our season!

It's a must win game for Tottenham and a draw for us will do.
So they will expect us to sit back and look to counter them, I expect them to play a high pressing game like Leeds tried against us. This is where our mindset has to be one of counter pressing as I honestly believe we're better at pressing than Tottenham. We're at our best when pressing and attacking, but keeping our shape so we remain defensively strong (this is what Arteta has instilled in to our team).

Keeping eveythinbg crossed for an Arsenal victory.

Tottenham will be favourites at home and especially with Saka a doubt for tonight. However, if we play with the right mindset then we have every chance of winning this game and securing our place in the CL.

Where is the guy who predicted Arsenal manager is the next Pep; the same guy who predicted Messi would score 25 goals in the farmers league this season?

That penalty was not on ... disappointing refereeing

A needless red card for Rob Holding.
Poor defending.

I knew we'd lose but not this badly. Completely lost our heads.

Rob Holding should never start for Arsenal again. Son somehow got to his head without actually doing anything.

We need to put this game behind us and get a win at Newcastle which will not be an easy game.

I have a horrible feeling that Spurs are favourites for top 4 even though it's in our hands. Their 2 x remaining fixtures aren't as difficult as ours.

If we beat Newcastle then I'm confident we'll seal top 4 by beating Everton on the last day of the season.

Monday night will be nerve wracking.

Last edited:
Lack of experience in Arsenal's starting Xi showed tonight. There were too many weak links with not much experience out there who lost their heads.

They made it easy for Spurs and were never in the match.

Very poor performance.

That was just awful.

I'm too livid at the moment so will wait until tomorrow before commenting on the game.

Arsenal like Utd are also a proper mid table club now shades of future Newcastle

If anyone genuinely expected Arsenal not to get beat at Spurs, then they clearly have no understanding of the game.

Spurs will almost certainly win their last 2 games.

Arsenal will most likely win one of the two but they are prone to make silly, costly mistakes all the time.

13 league games lost last season and 12 this season, more goals conceded this season compared to last. Its pretty shambolic, yet managers given new contract.

If Arsenal dont make top 4 manager and Edu are to blame and its a failed season..This team will not compete for top 4 next season playing europa league and a lack of investment.

Last night it felt like the Champions League next season slipped away from Arsenal.

Tomorrow has now arrived. What is your analysis?

I'm still trying to get over it.
The penalty, whilst correct if you go by the letter of the law, was extremely soft.
Son played Holding like a child's toy and was going down theatrically with every foul.
It worked and Holding was extremely naive.

After that what more is there to say?
We won't know what could have happened had it remained 11 vs 11.

13 league games lost last season and 12 this season, more goals conceded this season compared to last. Its pretty shambolic, yet managers given new contract.

If Arsenal dont make top 4 manager and Edu are to blame and its a failed season..This team will not compete for top 4 next season playing europa league and a lack of investment.

I've always maintained that I would give Arteta until the end of this season before casting judgement.
Not that it matters now since he's just earned a five year extension.

Last night it felt like the Champions League next season slipped away from Arsenal.

It makes no difference if it does

Arsenal can’t compete past the group stage, that’s if they get a lucky group

I'm still trying to get over it.
The penalty, whilst correct if you go by the letter of the law, was extremely soft.
Son played Holding like a child's toy and was going down theatrically with every foul.
It worked and Holding was extremely naive.

After that what more is there to say?
We won't know what could have happened had it remained 11 vs 11.

10 men or 11 men, I knew we'd lose.

I just think with Conte, Kane + Son on current form + depleted Arsenal defence, it was always going to be a big ask for this inexperienced Arsenal team to avoid defeat to Spurs at their home ground (let alone beat them).

Prior to this game, I always had in mind that the away trip to Newcastle was going to decide our fate. If we win this game, we should win our last game of the season.

Make or break for Arteta in the next two games.

If they beat Newcastle, top 4 is secured imo.

The problem is Newcastle played really well against Liverpool, we just won 0-1. They will do the same again, not threaten to score but will try being rock solid at the back. Arsenal without two strikers could struggle.

Good news is the match is Monday evening. Enough time to rest and prepare. Arsenal also have a good couple of away results recently.

Please do not let Spurs get into the Champions League!

10 men or 11 men, I knew we'd lose.

I just think with Conte, Kane + Son on current form + depleted Arsenal defence, it was always going to be a big ask for this inexperienced Arsenal team to avoid defeat to Spurs at their home ground (let alone beat them).

Prior to this game, I always had in mind that the away trip to Newcastle was going to decide our fate. If we win this game, we should win our last game of the season.

See logic goes out of the window when it comes to me supporting Arsenal.
Whoever we play, whatever the odds, I always keep hope.
Yes on paper we Spurs were perhaps favourites but let's not forget that their own form has been up and down... they also lost to Brighton at home..

So was hopeful, that with some luck, we could come away with something.

But the big build up to the game, the anticipation, all that hope evaporated after that oenalty and then the sending off. So three quarters of the game was destroyed.

That's what left me angry.

Newcastle are on a high at the moment, their fans are going to be so up for it.
I fear for the worst... but of course will keep hoping.

It makes no difference if it does

Arsenal can’t compete past the group stage, that’s if they get a lucky group

Perhaps not, but then you can't buy top world class players without the lure of CL football and ofcourse the money that comes with it.

This is why it was crucial to qualify.

See logic goes out of the window when it comes to me supporting Arsenal.
Whoever we play, whatever the odds, I always keep hope.
Yes on paper we Spurs were perhaps favourites but let's not forget that their own form has been up and down... they also lost to Brighton at home..

So was hopeful, that with some luck, we could come away with something.

But the big build up to the game, the anticipation, all that hope evaporated after that oenalty and then the sending off. So three quarters of the game was destroyed.

That's what left me angry.

Newcastle are on a high at the moment, their fans are going to be so up for it.
I fear for the worst... but of course will keep hoping.

I was hoping we'd catch Spurs on a bad day or we'd start well to find a way to unsettle them or have some luck but it wasn't to be.

We can beat Newcastle and if we play well we should get 3 points. I just hope Ben White is 100% fit otherwise we have big problems in our defence.

Now is the time for Arteta to justify his contract extension. The game on Monday will define his Arsenal future.

Perhaps not, but then you can't buy top world class players without the lure of CL football and ofcourse the money that comes with it.

This is why it was crucial to qualify.

3 things are certain

Death
Taxes
Arsenal never buying the players you need to compete with the worlds best teams

We were lucky to develop a side into an invincible team under Wenger nearly 2 decades ago, they didn’t go out and buy a fully made Henry, Pires, Viera.

Cambell was a great signing. It’s like signing a £100m CB like Van Dyke in this day and age. Overall, Arsenal will always be one tier below Madrid, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus, PSG etc.

If you want to be the best, buy the best players from the best teams like the best teams do! Go out there and buy the Haalands and Grealishes when they are hot property. Go out there and buy the Most in demand talents in Europe! Arsenal won’t do that.

3 things are certain

Death
Taxes
Arsenal never buying the players you need to compete with the worlds best teams

We were lucky to develop a side into an invincible team under Wenger nearly 2 decades ago, they didn’t go out and buy a fully made Henry, Pires, Viera.

Cambell was a great signing. It’s like signing a £100m CB like Van Dyke in this day and age. Overall, Arsenal will always be one tier below Madrid, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus, PSG etc.

If you want to be the best, buy the best players from the best teams like the best teams do! Go out there and buy the Haalands and Grealishes when they are hot property. Go out there and buy the Most in demand talents in Europe! Arsenal won’t do that.

Lol Grealish has been a flop. He failed in the CL semi-final when they needed him the most.

We have the youngest team in the PL and even if we miss out on the CL, they've done well. I'm optimistic about our future. The likes of Saka, Tiereny, Martinelli, Odegaard, Ben White, Ramsdale, Smith-Rowe and perhaps Nkeitah will become some of the best players in the league and in 3-4 years time.

For now we have to accept that we're nowhere near to mounting a serious title challenge but I rather be in Arsenal's camp than Man Utd's camp. The latter is at least 4-5 years away from even competing for the PL whereas Arsenal can do it within 2-3 years if Arteta can bring new strikers and enhance the bench strength.

Last edited:
Lol Grealish has been a flop. He failed in the CL semi-final when they needed him the most.

We have the youngest team in the PL and even if we miss out on the CL, they've done well. I'm optimistic about our future. The likes of Saka, Tiereny, Martinelli, Odegaard, Ben White, Ramsdale, Smith-Rowe and perhaps Nkeitah will become some of the best players in the league and in 3-4 years time.

For now we have to accept that we're nowhere near to mounting a serious title challenge but I rather be in Arsenal's camp than Man Utd's camp. The latter is at least 4-5 years away from even competing for the PL whereas Arsenal can do it within 2-3 years if Arteta can bring new strikers and enhance the bench strength.

I agree Utd are a real mess. Their top branch is too focused on player branding, big names rather than building a team.

But imo the issue for Arsenal is if you fail to make top 4 and then have a poor start next season, Arteta wont last.Then back to square one.

I agree Utd are a real mess. Their top branch is too focused on player branding, big names rather than building a team.

But imo the issue for Arsenal is if you fail to make top 4 and then have a poor start next season, Arteta wont last.Then back to square one.

Agreed.

For me the game against Newcastle will define Arteta's career. If we beat them I back us to win our last game against Everton (at home).

Agreed.

For me the game against Newcastle will define Arteta's career. If we beat them I back us to win our last game against Everton (at home).

Good luck. I think it will be close but Arsenal will find a winner late.

By Grealish I meant to say the player every team wants to buy. Not the left over who will be replaced by the player everyone wants to go for in their team. Arsenal are picking up left overs and nobodies for quite some time now.

In regards to the young side argument, we have been there before in the past. When guys like Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie, Rosicky, Gibbs, Walcott, Sagna, Adebayour were all supposed to stay and Arsenal was to become the Barcelona of EPL. What happened? They all became restless and knew they would not win anything at Arsenal, hence they all left one by one and most of them ended their careers with at least 1 Premier league winner’s medal. The same thing will happen to these boys (especially Saka and Smith Rowe) when they will realise Arsenal are not as ambitious as clubs like City and Liverpool are. They won’t waste their careers knowing that they could be multiple times league medal winners or playing Champion’s league finals/semi finals every season at certain clubs.

Arsenal have already got the ball rolling in their quest to improve the squad in this summer's transfer window with the signing of young Brazilian talent Marquinhos expected soon. Express Sport understands that the Gunners are set to complete the signing of the Sao Paulo teenage sensation in the coming weeks for a fee of roughly £2.5million.

The forward made his professional debut for the club in July at the age of just 18 and has displayed his huge potential since across 39 appearances. However, Sao Paulo run the risk of losing him on a free transfer. While he signed a five-year deal in 2019, FIFA refuse to recognise first professional contracts as longer than three years and so the club need to sell this summer.

And Express Sport understands that the winger is set to join Arsenal in the coming weeks with Mikel Arteta set to lose two strikers in the summer. A fee of £2.5m will be paid for his services with the north London outfit set to prise him away from the Brazilian giants for relative peanuts.

However, Marquinhos will only initially be considered on the fringes of the first team with the club looking to develop his talents before regularly relying on him as a senior player. Alexandre Lacazette and Eddie Nketiah are expected to leave the club on free transfers in the summer, leaving the north Londoners with a void to fill.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ws-Sao-Paulo-fee-agreed-Premier-League-latest

Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool and Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea are interested in signing Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah in the summer transfer window, according to 90min.

90min have reported that both Liverpool and Chelsea are monitoring the situation of the Arsenal striker, who is out of contract at the Gunners at the end of the season.

West Ham United, Newcastle United, Everton and Crystal Palace all are keen on the 22-year-old striker, according to the report, which has added that the former Leeds United loanee is increasingly likely to leave Arsenal on a free transfer this summer.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/13/liverpool-arsenal-chelsea-eddie-nketiah-summer-transfer/

Lets see what Arsenal are really made of!

Loss against Newcastle and its curtains for the UCL spot I feel.

0-0 HT vs newcastle

lucky to still be in the game. Midfield 3 have been poor as has ESR.

Tomi off injured as usual. lack of squad depth costing Arsenal here and Peps ball boy and Edu are to blame for that.

The wait for UCL football goes on, next season will be our 6th consecutive season without it.

Would we ever get a better chance than what we have just blown? Not sure. The league will only get harder from here.

Need to switch off from football for a few days now.

Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal: We don't deserve Champions League spot on this display - Granit Xhaka

Arsenal do not deserve to qualify for the Champions League on the basis of their performance in Monday's 2-0 defeat at Newcastle, says Granit Xhaka.

The midfielder felt his side's display showed they could not handle the pressure of chasing a top-four spot.

Victory for the Gunners would have moved them above Tottenham into fourth with one game remaining, but they were second best at St James' Park.

"We wanted to have a big game but it didn't happen," Xhaka told BBC Sport.

"People speak always about leaders. We're not playing tennis, we're playing football. If someone is not ready for this pressure, stay at home.

"You can't come here and play like this. We looked very bad today. The game plan was totally different. We played a totally different game.

"They were running us over from the first minute to the 96th. When you play like this, you don't deserve to play in the Champions League.

"The thing is the pressure. If you can't handle the pressure, it ends like today. It looks like we can't do something against the pressure."

Ben White's own goal gave Newcastle the lead early in the second half before Bruno Guimaraes added a deserved second late on.

The result means Arsenal must beat Everton at home on Sunday (16:00 BST) and hope Tottenham - two points ahead and with a much better goal difference - lose at relegated Norwich.

"If Tottenham lose and we win, you never know in football," added Xhaka.

"We have to hope. Before the game everything was in our hands. It's a totally different game now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61474232

This is probably the most upset I've been as an Arsenal fan since the 2006 CL final loss.

Emotions are running high among our fan base and everyone will turn on us for losing the last two games but do not forget the reason why we've missed out on top 4 is the difference between how Arsenal and Spurs have fared against the top 2 sides.

Arsenal have lost all their games against City and Liverpool in the league this season whereas Spurs beat City twice and drew both of their games against Liverpool. That has given them an extra 8 points. Conte has proven his credentials as a top tier manager and brought an elite mentality to this Tottenham team.

Conte's appointment has turned out to be a masterstroke by Levy.

Some of our fans will demand Arteta to be sacked but the problem lies with our lack of ambition during the January transfer window. Look at how Newcastle spent. Arsenal didn't buy anyone.

We have an excellent group of younger players in Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, Ben White, Ramsdale etc. They will hit their peaks in 2-3 years' time. Arteta needs to be backed in the summer transfer window. Arsenal need to spend big. If he's backed, there's no reason why we can't seal top 4 or win Europa next season.

Arsenal need to sign ready made quality players in late 20s with experience. Instead Edu is out buying brazilian 19 year olds. This club will keep going backwards.

I rarely watch full matches of Arsenal but having watched on Monday night, it was shockingly poor.

It felt Newcastle were gunning for 4th while Arsenal were playing for their upcoming holiday.

Never seen a such a lifeless performance with so much to gain!

Spurs deserve to be with 4th.

This is probably the most upset I've been as an Arsenal fan since the 2006 CL final loss.

Emotions are running high among our fan base and everyone will turn on us for losing the last two games but do not forget the reason why we've missed out on top 4 is the difference between how Arsenal and Spurs have fared against the top 2 sides.

Arsenal have lost all their games against City and Liverpool in the league this season whereas Spurs beat City twice and drew both of their games against Liverpool. That has given them an extra 8 points. Conte has proven his credentials as a top tier manager and brought an elite mentality to this Tottenham team.

Conte's appointment has turned out to be a masterstroke by Levy.

Some of our fans will demand Arteta to be sacked but the problem lies with our lack of ambition during the January transfer window. Look at how Newcastle spent. Arsenal didn't buy anyone.

We have an excellent group of younger players in Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, Ben White, Ramsdale etc. They will hit their peaks in 2-3 years' time. Arteta needs to be backed in the summer transfer window. Arsenal need to spend big. If he's backed, there's no reason why we can't seal top 4 or win Europa next season.

Seal top 4?

Lets be openly honest. Man city and liverpool are going to be the top 2 teams again next season. so in reality there will be 2 top 4 spots up for grabs.

Depending on who buys chelsea will dictate what funds they have to freshen up their squad, even so they still a gap in quality in the leagur between them and teams below them.

Spurs will have champions league money and a world class manager to help improve their squad.

United we dont know how Ten Haag will settle at united but i cant see them being as poor as they were this season.

Arsenal will have to bank on 2 of united/spurs/chelsea not doing well next season that wont happen.

You then have west ham, wolves who will be good enough to be pushing for Europa spots.

Newcastle if they spend well will push for a european spot as well.

Arsenal will not get top 4 next season, all other teams have world class managers ot even good managers. Arsenal can not afford a go slow so called rebuild/project what ever fancy name you want to call it right now, there are to many teams with set foundations around us.

Arsenal will be scrapping for 6th or 7th thats the reality.

Just like in 2015/16 season when united finished 5th, liverpool 8th and chelsea 10th. these occurrence happen once in a blue moon and season Arsenal bottled the title race in feb and leicester won league. Arsenal chose not to buy a much need top striker and defender to help cross the line. Same thing happened this season with top 4.

Europa league is longer competition then CL and Arsenal squad will not cope even with new players to balance the to. The damage done this season with pathetic poor risks with squad management will effect club for a long time.

Seal top 4?

Lets be openly honest. Man city and liverpool are going to be the top 2 teams again next season. so in reality there will be 2 top 4 spots up for grabs.

Depending on who buys chelsea will dictate what funds they have to freshen up their squad, even so they still a gap in quality in the leagur between them and teams below them.

Spurs will have champions league money and a world class manager to help improve their squad.

United we dont know how Ten Haag will settle at united but i cant see them being as poor as they were this season.

Arsenal will have to bank on 2 of united/spurs/chelsea not doing well next season that wont happen.

You then have west ham, wolves who will be good enough to be pushing for Europa spots.

Newcastle if they spend well will push for a european spot as well.

Arsenal will not get top 4 next season, all other teams have world class managers ot even good managers. Arsenal can not afford a go slow so called rebuild/project what ever fancy name you want to call it right now, there are to many teams with set foundations around us.

Arsenal will be scrapping for 6th or 7th thats the reality.

Just like in 2015/16 season when united finished 5th, liverpool 8th and chelsea 10th. these occurrence happen once in a blue moon and season Arsenal bottled the title race in feb and leicester won league. Arsenal chose not to buy a much need top striker and defender to help cross the line. Same thing happened this season with top 4.

Europa league is longer competition then CL and Arsenal squad will not cope even with new players to balance the to. The damage done this season with pathetic poor risks with squad management will effect club for a long time.

Spurs have an ageing team. Kane will be 29 this summer and isn't exactly blessed with pace. Son will turn 30 in July.

Chelsea's future is uncertain and lies on this takeover to be completed on time.

Man Utd have far bigger problems than Arsenal. They need a complete overhaul. As mentioned before only 3 of their players would make Arsenal's first XI.

Newcastle have a long way to go before they can catch up with Man U, let alone Arsenal.

To make top 4, we just need 2 x decent strikers (ideally one of them being Jesus) and bolster the rest of our deadwood (Tavares, Cedric, Holding, Pepe and Lacazette).

Well as long as the Gunners give Everton a right walloping on the last day, I’ll be happy.

GOAL - Arsenal 1-0 Everton
Gabriel Martinelli (27 mins)

This will be in vain unless Spurs lose to Norwich, but Arsenal are ahead.

Asmir Begovic tries various tricks to delay the penalty but Gabriel Martinelli sends him the wrong way.

GOAL - Arsenal 5-1 Everton
Martin Odegaard

Arsenal missed out on Champions League qualification for a sixth successive season despite a comfortable win over Everton on the final day.

The Gunners needed to defeat Frank Lampard's side and hope Tottenham would lose at already relegated Norwich, but with Spurs winning 5-0 at Carrow Road theirs was a forlorn task.

Mikel Arteta's side took the lead midway through the first half as Gabriel Martinelli stroked home a penalty after his shot struck Alex Iwobi's arm, with the spot-kick awarded after a video assistant referee check.

Eddie Nketiah nodded in following a corner to extend the hosts' lead after 31 minutes, before substitute Donny van de Beek, in what is likely to be his last game for Everton, side-footed in.

It proved to be a short reprieve as two second-half goals in three minutes ended the game as a contest. Both came from corners as Cedric Soares slotted in, then Gabriel poked in after Everton had initially cleared.

Martin Odegaard added a late fifth as Arsenal finished in fifth place, two points behind Tottenham, but despite missing out on the top four, their fans were at least able to celebrate a return to the Europa League after missing out this season.

Everton's record-equalling 13th away defeat meant they finished four points clear of the relegation zone.

BBC

Disappointing for Arsenal to miss out on the CL. Only got themselves to blame in the end.

Arteta "in pain" despite Arsenal finishing with a win

Manager Mikel Arteta said he was "in pain" after Arsenal missed out on Champions League qualification despite a comfortable victory over Everton on the final day.

Arteta's side needed to beat Frank Lampard's men and hope Tottenham lost at already relegated Norwich, but Spurs' 5-0 win at Carrow Road meant the Gunners missed out on a top four-spot for a sixth successive season.

The hosts took the lead midway through the first half as Gabriel Martinelli stroked home a penalty after his shot struck Alex Iwobi's arm, with the spot-kick awarded after a video assistant referee check.

Eddie Nketiah nodded in following a corner to extend the hosts' lead on 31 minutes, before substitute Donny van de Beek, in what is likely to be his last game for Everton, side-footed in.

It proved to be a short reprieve as two second-half goals in three minutes ended the game as a contest. Both came from corners as Cedric Soares slotted home, then Gabriel poked in after Everton had initially cleared.

Martin Odegaard added a late fifth as Arsenal finished in fifth place, two points behind Tottenham.

Their fans were in good spirits as the players did a lap of the pitch to mark their return to the Europa League after missing out this season.

But Arteta said he took no satisfaction from that achievement, with a 2-0 defeat at Newcastle on Monday having handed the crucial advantage.

"I'm still in a lot of pain after what happened on Monday," he said. "We have tried to squeeze the lemon as much as we possibly can to get every single drop.

"We know where we have to go and we're not going to stop. I'm extremely disappointed. We came up short and that feeling of guilt and not reaching that level is painful.

"We needed a miracle today. The league table at end of season doesn't lie. It's true that last year with 67 points Chelsea were in the Champions League, and we have 69 and we are out of it. That's the demand of the league now."

Arteta said he was "very grateful" for the support he and the players had received.

"I'm a winner and I hate losing and we lost something that we could win and that's why I'm in pain," he added. "I'm sorry."

For Everton, meanwhile, a record-equalling 13th away defeat meant they finished four points clear of the relegation zone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61453544

Arsenal have held talks over a move for Napoli and Nigeria striker Victor Osimhen, 23, and are also continuing their attempts to land Brazil forward Gabriel Jesus, 25, from Manchester City. (Goal)

Spurs have an ageing team. Kane will be 29 this summer and isn't exactly blessed with pace. Son will turn 30 in July.

Chelsea's future is uncertain and lies on this takeover to be completed on time.

Man Utd have far bigger problems than Arsenal. They need a complete overhaul. As mentioned before only 3 of their players would make Arsenal's first XI.

Newcastle have a long way to go before they can catch up with Man U, let alone Arsenal.

To make top 4, we just need 2 x decent strikers (ideally one of them being Jesus) and bolster the rest of our deadwood (Tavares, Cedric, Holding, Pepe and Lacazette).

Spurs have a world class manager and CL money now to freshen up their team so they will get better.

Chelsea takeover is done and i doubt they will change much at club. They have good structure in place and recruitment, plus world class manager.

Yes united will take time to rebuild, Newcastle will take time to get better but both will challenge Arsenal and west ham for european spots.

You will see exact same struggles with Arsenal once we have to start playing on sundays and mondays again after europa games. Also watch Arteta make a mess of the league cup and FA cup again next season.

So looks like Eddie Nketiah signing a new 5 year deal :)))

Joke of a club and will remain europa league standard which such decisions. 5 goals vs chelsea reserves, leeds and everton.

reward mediocrity.

Joke of a club and will remain europa league standard which such decisions. 5 goals vs chelsea reserves, leeds and everton.

reward mediocrity.

Leeds fans would have taken him back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah is now set to stay at the club and is finalising details on a new contract. <a href="https://t.co/BVKtYileeD">pic.twitter.com/BVKtYileeD</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1529506257115258880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 25, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

reward mediocrity.

I disagree, we couldn't afford losing him. Name me one game other than the Nottingham Forest FA Cup tie where Nketiah has disappointed? Ever since he replaced Laca he's dazzled.

As I've said before he's a better than Werner, Lukaku and Abraham who have a combined worth of £150m - £200m.

For me he's our Tammy Abraham but with a higher ceiling.

Back