Australia (197 & 78/1) defeat India (109 & 163) by 9 wickets to win the 3rd Test

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Australia need 76 runs to win this 3rd Test and make the series 2-1.

1.jpg

How will it play out? Do India have an outside chance here?

Aussies should win it comfortably. If Aussies can't win this, they should go home.

If Aus fails to win this, it would quite possibly be the worst moment for the Aussie team in their cricketing history.

They will mess it up is seems, the most incompetent Aussie side in the history!

They need to score, take risks if needed, replicate what Ayer did.This pointless blockathon will reduce them to 20 all out. When Eng won the series a decade ago, they chased down both times. Targets were something around 60 & 40 I presume. Cook & Compton had gone on an all out attack to chase that 60,I think they did it within 10 overs.Next chase,they lost 3 for 5 or 6 & then Bell proceeded to counter attack. Eng had realized even then that defending on this sort of tracks against such spinners will not win you the game. They need to attack & finish it quickly, if they lose more than 4, they expose the flood gate.

Last edited:
Congrats to Aussies, Pakistanis and [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] on this momentous win.

The Aussies should get things done by the 15th over, by the way how they are again looking to survive and doing tuk tuk, looks like they are again playing safe and looking to bat out 30-35 overs which may backfire.

Aussies chasing it easy without any fuss. So many incorrect predictions yesterday about how Australia will collapse.

Well there is a difference between collapsing when you are trailing by 100 runs after the first innings and when you are only chasing 70 runs.

No team is going to collapse chasing 70-80 runs no matter the wicket, there's no pressure to trigger a collapse.

Since the ball change Australia are flying. Ashwin wanted ball change now regrets I bet!

Anyway. Not enough runs. Needed 150 minimum to have any chance.

Khawaja's superlative catch to dismiss Iyer who was threatening to take the game away from Aussies, may have proved to be the difference.

This pitch is an absolute disgrace to test cricket. Ball pitching on middle stump and going to second slip 2 balls in a row. India got scared of SENA when Eng beat them badly in Chennai 2021.
Honestly its funny to see Ashwin and Jadeja picking up so many wickets without even trying. The batters should stand up for themselves. They are ruining their careers on these Kabbadi pitches.

This pitch is an absolute disgrace to test cricket. Ball pitching on middle stump and going to second slip 2 balls in a row. India got scared of SENA when Eng beat them badly in Chennai 2021.
Honestly its funny to see Ashwin and Jadeja picking up so many wickets without even trying. The batters should stand up for themselves. They are ruining their careers on these Kabbadi pitches.

Turn is not issue , the uneven bounce right from day one , is not good . You need to have proper bounce at least in international games.

India don't have the expertise and ability to produce a good cricket wicket. It requires a skilled ground staff to make and prepare a good cricket wicket.

Great to see a well deserving defeat to India. This is awesome!

He who digs a pit for others, falls himself into it.

Shove that shame of a pitch, up your rear ends now.

Great to see a well deserving defeat to India. This is awesome!

He who digs a pit for others, falls himself into it.

Shove that shame of a pitch, up your rear ends now.

Bhajji was saying even if it was a 10 match series Aus will lose 10-0 LOL.

Aussies should have turned up and practiced on these wickets for atleast a month in advance. They needed to get aclimitsized to these conditions

3rd Test • Australia tour of India, 2023
AUS 197 & 78/1 (18.5)
IND 109 & 163 (60.3)
Australia won by 9 wkts

India don't have the expertise and ability to produce a good cricket wicket. It requires a skilled ground staff to make and prepare a good cricket wicket.

Nah I think its an excuse. They intentionally under prepare their pitches. When Eng beat them on a typical indian pitch in Chennai. They prepared bunsen burners for the next 3 tests

The first session on day 1 where there was moisture on the pitch made it almost unplayable track. Otherwise this track was pretty similar to Delhi and Nagpur. Either ways such pitches are very high risk, can go either way.

Australia's convincing nine-wicket triumph over India in the third Test has helped them book a place at this year's ICC World Test Championship Final, but just who joins them in the decider remains wide open.

Australia have been the dominant side during this World Test Championship period (2021-23), with Pat Cummins' side having won 11 of the 18 Tests they have featured in.

Their latest triumph came on the back of a superb bowling performance from veteran off-spinner Nathan Lyon, who collected 11 wickets for the match to more than make up for the unexpected absence of Cummins due to family reasons.

While batting collapses for Australia throughout the series might have made for a nervy run chase, especially after Usman Khawaja fell for a duck in the second innings, Travis Head (49*) and Marnus Labuschagne (28*) steered them to the stirring win.

That victory has helped Australia amass an impressive 68.52 of their possible WTC points and that means they will finish the current period in first place on the World Test Championship standings regardless of the result in the final Test of their ongoing series against India.

While India hold on to second place on the standings with 60.29 of their possible WTC points and are in the box seat to qualify for the one-off Test at The Oval in June, they can still be overtaken by Sri Lanka should results go against Rohit Sharma's side over the coming weeks.

ICC World Test Championship Predictor
A victory in the fourth Test against Australia in Ahmedabad will ensure India's spot in the WTC Final, but another victory for the visitors or a draw will leave the door open for Sri Lanka to overtake Rohit's side and snatch the last spot.

Sri Lanka have two Tests to play away from home against New Zealand this month and know they have to complete a 2-0 series sweep over the Kiwis to have any chance of snatching a spot in the WTC Final

Remaining ICC World Test Championship Fixtures

South Africa v West Indies (Second Test) – Johannesburg, South Africa, 8-12 March
New Zealand v Sri Lanka (First Test) – Christchurch, New Zealand, 9-13 March
India v Australia (Fourth Test) – Ahmedabad, India, 9-13 March
New Zealand v Sri Lanka (Second Test) – Wellington, New Zealand, 17-21 March

Icc

Last edited:
I am always so surprised by how few Indians show up on the day they get beaten badly.

Well done Australia, outstanding win and a monumental effort by one of the finest finger spinners in the history of cricket.

I am always so surprised by how few Indians show up on the day they get beaten badly.

Well done Australia, outstanding win and a monumental effort by one of the finest finger spinners in the history of cricket.

Because most of my fellow indian fans are glory hunters. They become John Cena whenever India loses any match. :inti

The first session on day 1 where there was moisture on the pitch made it almost unplayable track. Otherwise this track was pretty similar to Delhi and Nagpur. Either ways such pitches are very high risk, can go either way.
We got so many chances to get back in this test but our incompetent bats fluffed all of them.

They prepare good flat tracks like Adelaide in LOIs on the same grounds. These are intentionally under prepared pitches.

They prepare good flat tracks like Adelaide in LOIs on the same grounds. These are intentionally under prepared pitches.

Preparing a test pitch to last 5 days is much more complicated than preparing a road for LO'Is, India do not have the expertise to produce pitches that provide good wickets for 5 days. Its no big drama, if you can't prepare a decent cricket wicket then you can't, in time they will gain experience and be able to do it.

Proper thrashing this. Their 2017 tour here was the most competitive by any visiting team as well.

If Kohli doesn’t get dropped and form stays same he will end up in the same tier as Azharuddin and Vengsarkar when at one stage it looked he will threaten Sachin for Goat Indian batsman and go above dravid and Sunny G.

If Kohli doesn’t get dropped and form stays same he will end up in the same tier as Azharuddin and Vengsarkar when at one stage it looked he will threaten Sachin for Goat Indian batsman and go above dravid and Sunny G.

No matter how hard some fans try, Kohli is nowhere near Sachin in test cricket. :inti

I hope Indian selectors are keeping an eye on how over reliant they are on Ashwin and Jadeja for winning test matches and both are not getting younger. In fact next year England could be a difficult series for India givin sometimes how quickly you lose skills post 35.

The big problem is their test batting minus Pant this is the worst Indian batting line up i have seen since I started watching in 89. Intact series could have have been 2-1 right now in Aus favour had Jaddu , Ashwin and Axar not shown resilience with the bat also .

High time India fixes the number of venues for hosting test matches (6 to 8 maximum). Then curators can monitor these pitches and bring some norm (of course by retaining home advantage, no issues with that). Even Australia (a bigger country) have restricted all international matches well within 8 to 10 grounds!

No matter how hard some fans try, Kohli is nowhere near Sachin in test cricket. :inti
I think this lean run is too long to be just called a lean patch and is more likely an earlier then expected decline of a great player. Also I am unsure if Kohli is not an age fudger givin how rapidly his batting declined post 30

Chennai & Kolkata have always been traditionally & consistently good pitches for test standards... They have to choose another 4 to 6 such stadiums and bring some norm. (Ahmedabad can be another candidate considering the quality of stadium, but they need to work on the pitch). No point in including every region, every random city to host test matches... Seems more like quota system than pitch doctoring...

I think this lean run is too long to be just called a lean patch and is more likely an earlier then expected decline of a great player. Also I am unsure if Kohli is not an age fudger givin how rapidly his batting declined post 30

Lean patches don't last for so long. I am a big fan of him but his test batting was never of the same caliber as Sachin.

Lean patches don't last for so long. I am a big fan of him but his test batting was never of the same caliber as Sachin.

If he had replaced Pujara & Rahane with other youngsters well in time, probably he would have improved himself by working around them. But he opted for a wrong method of hiding behind them & feeling superior that he can perform better than them and so he can keep his place safe in the team. Pant got groomed only because he was a wicket-keeper batsman. Players like Gill, Iyer, etc, should have got groomed long back! Yes, they might have failed in the beginning (and people would have asked for Pujara, Rahane & their experience again), but they could have got polished by now! Giving fair chances to youngsters is always good because it can pay you back eventually! We should not drop Gill & Iyer, they should be given an extended opportunity...

If he had replaced Pujara & Rahane with other youngsters well in time, probably he would have improved himself by working around them. But he opted for a wrong method of hiding behind them & feeling superior that he can perform better than them and so he can keep his place safe in the team. Pant got groomed only because he was a wicket-keeper batsman. Players like Gill, Iyer, etc, should have got groomed long back! Yes, they might have failed in the beginning (and people would have asked for Pujara, Rahane & their experience again), but they could have got polished by now! Giving fair chances to youngsters is always good because it can pay you back eventually! We should not drop Gill & Iyer, they should be given an extended opportunity...

I think Gill had had fair opportunities he’s 23 with 13 tests already . I think better home pitches would have bedded him nicely in test cricket

Amid the rising criticism, India skipper Rohit was asked to assess the Indore pitch after another three-day finish to a Test match and he responded in blistering manner saying that none of those former cricketers ever played on pitches like this. He further explained that it was a collective decision from the Indian team to play on such surfaces despite knowing the challenges and opined that had the team not produced results, there would be an introspection.

“Former cricketers did not play on pitches like this. So I don't know. Like I said, this is the kind of pitch we wanted to play in and this is our strength. When you play in home, you want to play to your strength and not worry about what people outside are speaking about. And had we not gotten results, we would have thought otherwise,” he said.

Rohit also expressed his displeasure at the constant talk around pitches after every match and said that he would rather be interested in talking about Nathan Lyon, who picked 13 wickets to claim the Player of the Match award, or performance of batters like Cheteshwar Pujara and Usman Khawaja in the Indore Test.

“This pitch talk is getting too much. Every time we play in India, the focus is only on pitch. Why are people not asking me about Nathan Lyon and how well he bowled? Or, how well Pujara batted in the second innings? Or, how well Usman Khawaja played? Those are the things I can give you a details on, but not on pitch because it is absolutely not necessary,” he said.

HindustanTimes

So whats change for ahemdabad test ?
If they want to play on Turner then only one pacers is enough

KL, Rohit, Pujara and Kohli should be dropped after this series. Need a complete overhaul of Indian top order. :inti

I think Gill had had fair opportunities he’s 23 with 13 tests already . I think better home pitches would have bedded him nicely in test cricket

Yes, that is also an important point. Home test pitches should give advantage to our team, and not just to bowlers but batsmen too... It is important that we have seasoned batsmen in our team, that will help us compete even better in overseas too... We lost the last test match against England (we could have at least drawn it), and lost an opportunity to beat South Africa last two times (especially the one before) - all because of lack of batsmen!

Home test matches should definitely improve the confidence of home batsmen! Even if it results in some matches getting drawn (opposition batsmen finding it easy), that's at least better than losing some test matches like it happened today!

As you say Gill is our prominent batsman at the moment and he should be our prime batsman in tests (like Root is for England!), he should replace Kohli in that responsibility (and that should ease up Kohli).

Even Iyer should be persisted, just because he has issues against pace doesn't mean that he should be negelected. He has the skills to become a quality No.5 or No.6 batsman (Usually these batsmen need not be too good against pace! They anyhow come at a time when the ball has got older OR the pitch has lost its spice!) Even SENA had such batsmen (weak against pace) like Hansie Cronje, Steve Waugh, etc. These batsmen are needed to dominate against old ball and spinners. I am sure Iyer would have fared even better had he played on easier pitches (actually he was on the way of becoming a reliable batter in previous few series)

Problem is there should be no passengers in the team. This will rub an effect even on other guys too... Gill & Iyer can do well if they are part of a formidable team in all respects!

Why test matches in 2000-2010's in India used to last till 5 days? They were also spinning wickets. Does T20 cricket has eroded the survival game of modern day batsman?

Yes, that is also an important point. Home test pitches should give advantage to our team, and not just to bowlers but batsmen too...

I think this is where India don't fully grasp the concept of home advantage. Most countries will have the pitches prepared for the match to last 5 days and give opportunities for all types of players. Get the consistency right and you players will adapt to the conditions and have the advantage from playing on these pitches. India try to adapt the pitch to the players which will give good results but stifles the versatility of the team when playing outside their comfort zone.

KL, Rohit, Pujara and Kohli should be dropped after this series. Need a complete overhaul of Indian top order. :inti

Rohit is doing well.

Kohli, Rahul should be dropped. Iyer also is not a lambi race ka ghoda, better to try other youngsters.

Dismal batting from India batters in the 3rd Test

k821nhZ.png

Why test matches in 2000-2010's in India used to last till 5 days? They were also spinning wickets. Does T20 cricket has eroded the survival game of modern day batsman?

The pitches in that era were flat.
If today's pitches were served up back then, those batters would've struggled as well.

Those pitches were bit flatter, but still with proper application by everyone we used to still win matches! In those matches everything used to come to play (like our seamers - at times we have even played 3 seamers in home tests!) We used to win matches even when opposition won the toss & scored 400+ in 1st innings! I think Rohit is saying that those matches were boring and these matches are entertaining! I think it is "us" who should decide what is what! (What do you say?)

India - Australia series from 2015 is most competitive test series in world cricket .it's pitty we only have 4 test ,should have 5 Match test series in this year .

Does this win count?

India is playing without Bumrah and the greatest cricketer in the world Rishabh Pant.
This is similar to how Indian won in 2018, both carry an asterisk.
But atleast India won the series, at best Australia can draw this.

Humiliation completed. Now stop rolling out lottery pitches BCCI. Let the talented individuals shine on sporting pitches.

Rohit is doing well.

Kohli, Rahul should be dropped. Iyer also is not a lambi race ka ghoda, better to try other youngsters.

Iyer is good for subcontinent pitches. Just don't select him when playing in Aus or Eng or SA. He will be brutally exposed against short ball.

Those pitches were bit flatter, but still with proper application by everyone we used to still win matches! In those matches everything used to come to play (like our seamers - at times we have even played 3 seamers in home tests!) We used to win matches even when opposition won the toss & scored 400+ in 1st innings! I think Rohit is saying that those matches were boring and these matches are entertaining! I think it is "us" who should decide what is what! (What do you say?)

I would prefer flat pitch which starts to break on third day and becomes rank turner on last day. These rank turner pitches are ruining the career of batsman like Iyer, Mayank , Gill etc. Its unplayable to be honest.

I would prefer flat pitch which starts to break on third day and becomes rank turner on last day. These rank turner pitches are ruining the career of batsman like Iyer, Mayank , Gill etc. Its unplayable to be honest.

But it is difficult to exactly prepare a pitch like that! There is every chance that the pitch goes flat and results in a draw. It is a difficult task! That's why SENA teams stick onto selected venues, so that the pitches can be monitored properly. Time has come BCCI also to follow this suit. They should stick onto selected cities (Chennai, Kolkota have fair pitches), then curators will have better control over them... These smaller cities should be given IPL matches... It is indeed a tough job to prepare a pitch to last for 5 days, if you make it flat - they will remain flat for all 5 days, if you tweak it to hold the ball they will start turning sharply giving uneven bounce. Indian soil absorbs moisture quickly & also releases it quickly...

Iyer is good for subcontinent pitches. Just don't select him when playing in Aus or Eng or SA. He will be brutally exposed against short ball.

That is not the way to groom a batsman (no country in its history has done that). You can select different batsmen for different formats, yes - understandable. But not for different conditions! Because batsman should always be ready to face any kind of bowling (pace/spin) in any given match! You can select different bowlers based on conditions, because they know to bowl only one type (pace/spin). So usually batsmen will be a constant (at the most you may drop a batsman & play an extra bowler if needed and vice versa).

Coming to Iyer, its OK if he has issues against pace. He is No.5 or No.6 and if he gains confidence in playing spinners & handling softer balls that will come in handy even in overseas matches! Always we will not be facing seaming firing balls in SENA. There will be times when bowlers are tired, ball gets old, pitch lost its spice... Then you will need such batsmen who can dominate the bowling. In this way I can say we lost both the previous south african test series because Pujara/Rahane/Kohli lost all the confidence in scoring runs even on easy balls/easy juncture of the game!

But for that, yes, he needs to be groomed (the way to groom is give an ideal batting surface in home matches & grow up his confidence!) That's how Pant grew his confidence (fortunately he got some true pitches in Australia to improve his batting skills!) and became better & confident batsman than every batsmen in the team (even the opposition team sometimes) If we hesitate to play players like Iyer in overseas matches (hoping that at least there are better batting conditions there compared to India), then we will never develop any batsmen and we will forever destroy our historical batting culture! (Even Gill has more success in overseas tests compared to home in his short career so far)

It was a comfortable win in the end. I thought there would be some dramas.

Aussies now have an opportunity to make it 2-2 (which would be a great outcome given they were down 0-2).

But it is difficult to exactly prepare a pitch like that! There is every chance that the pitch goes flat and results in a draw. It is a difficult task! That's why SENA teams stick onto selected venues, so that the pitches can be monitored properly. Time has come BCCI also to follow this suit. They should stick onto selected cities (Chennai, Kolkota have fair pitches), then curators will have better control over them... These smaller cities should be given IPL matches... It is indeed a tough job to prepare a pitch to last for 5 days, if you make it flat - they will remain flat for all 5 days, if you tweak it to hold the ball they will start turning sharply giving uneven bounce. Indian soil absorbs moisture quickly & also releases it quickly...

They will have to do something for sure. These 2 day test matches are no fun, for me at least. Change in the behavior of the pitch as test match goes on is one of most interesting aspect of test cricket. When bowl spins square in first session on first day, it kills the interest for me.

Back