Australia v England | 3rd ODI | Sydney | 23/01/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another abject defeat in the end.

One thing I will say that no matter how badly England lose this series, nobody anywhere will remember or care. We don't need seven-game ODI series in our calendar.

England's biggest problem is the fact they just dont take ODI cricket as seriously in comparison to test matches. You look at the players and its clear they have stepped of the pedestrial. I dont really see any urgency amongst the players. Plus they play too many bits and pieces cricketer.

Boy is Luke Wright rubbish.

england won the ashes! the biggest tournament in the world! involving a whooping 2 teams.... who cares about the world cup thats nothing......

Collingwood is a very handy bowler and has constructed match-winning knocks in ODIs at times, unlike Trott (to date). No comparison in fielding of course.

Dunno though, Collingwood or Trott is a toss-up because Trott will probably get more runs, but will be actually add to the side overall and help them win games?
Trott did it again. It was just like the 2nd ODI against Bangladesh http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/426404.html

He simply just stuck in there, without really trying to up the strike rate when he was well set. Only 3 fours in the entire innings.

This is why I dislike Trott as an ODI batsman. Yes he made a big score, but he failed to accelerate and put on a big total. When you don't do that as a top order batsmen, it increases pressure on the lower order and forces them to try and hit out to up the run rate (and get out).

The guy really needs to open. No question. He can't accelerate into the last overs if his life depended on it.

He simply just stuck in there, without really trying to up the strike rate when he was well set. Only 3 fours in the entire innings.

This is why I dislike Trott as an ODI batsman. Yes he made a big score, but he failed to accelerate and put on a big total. When you don't do that as a top order batsmen, it increases pressure on the lower order and forces them to try and hit out to up the run rate (and get out).

The guy really needs to open. No question. He can't accelerate into the last overs if his life depended on it.

That's why I call him The New Athey. I remember the '87 WC final when Athey should have won it for England but seemed unable to hit it off the cut strip.

Kieswetter (wkt)
Strauss (c)
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Bopara
Broad
Bresnan
Swann
Anderson

We might start winning some games again with that lineup.

Bit of a downer today when practically your whole first-choice team is injured, but Australia have their fair share as well. The current England 'all-rounders' are very questionable, our batting has been useless and our second-string bowlers aren't good enough to win games consistently. I think we will lose this series 5-2, and without our entire bowling lineup we might even be lucky to win 2 games.
To be honest I can't believe England picked such a world cup squad. I'm surprised.

Poor Tremlett out there is bowling his heart out and outperforming the rest of your bowlers, but it's pretty much all in vain as he's not in the world cup squad. I think in my opinion he probably would have been better than ajmal. But he won't play anyway.

But some of these other selections don't make any sense. Tredwell? Really? Can't bowl or bat. I understand he was picked in case England wanted an extra spin option. But he's really not worth it.

Wright, Yardy both can't bat or bowl. Can't believe they're in the squad.

Prior ain't a good ODI bat, and Kieswetter never got a proper run to cement himself in the ODI side. Even then he averages 27, which is more than Prior. Kieswetter would have been an aggressive option at the top and was one of your best performers in the T20 world cup. Even if Davies were selected I'd understand, but Prior is a terrible selection.

Speaking on test form (which is why Prior was selected) why didn't they use the same logic to select Cook? Now Cook I may have taken a punt at. If you're getting double centuries and centuries in Australia with ease, you're in damn good form.

Bopara could have been the perfect no.7, good form and can bowl a bit. At least he can bat unlike Wright and Yardy. Yardy's a good T20 player but not in ODIs. Wright isn't good in any format.

There's so many selection blunders I can't believe it. There's more than Pakistan made for goodness sake. You'd be hard to find an England fan who is totally pleased with that squad.

Congratulations Australia.

Commiserations England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back