Australia v South Africa | 1st Test - Day 4 | Perth | 20/12/08

Hmmmm....91 for 1. Another 50-100 runs from these two and i'm not so sure who will be hoping for rain more.

*wink

Everyone excited about australia tail enders. I see it another way...if those players could stay in and score runs then the pitch is playing easy. That 400 might not be too hard after all.

saffer said:
Everyone excited about australia tail enders. I see it another way...if those players could stay in and score runs then the pitch is playing easy. That 400 might not be too hard after all.

It is certainly possible, all 3 results are possible now.

saffer said:
Hmmmm....91 for 1. Another 50-100 runs from these two and i'm not so sure who will be hoping for rain more.

*wink

I think SA should already be fancying their chances. Amla and Smith look set, no reason for them not to put on another 100 runs. The pitch isn't showing any real demons except for some spin for Krezja.

Sparhawk said:
I think SA should already be fancying their chances. Amla and Smith look set, no reason for them not to put on another 100 runs. The pitch isn't showing any real demons except for some spin for Krezja.

Yes but they are South Africa :D

I think Australia will win the match comfortably. This is how they were going smoothly in the first innings also. Couple of wickets pressure will be right back on SA. Then things will start going south.

Ridiculous appeal be Krezja, pitched well outside legstump line. He's still bowling well though.

Yeah.,..if Haddin can get 94 and their number 9 etc 30...then our top order should all be able to get runs. Right now these two cruising at over 4 an over making it look easy. I think the big total might be helping take off the pressure. Nothing to lose like the 438 game.

With that said there's no sense talking about south Africa winning unless they can piece together another 150 runs without much damage.

Hmm 279 to get, 9 wickets in hand.

Partnership of 116 between Smith (highest ever score against Australia) and Amla the Indian/Pakistani/South African

Credit to South Africa it has been a long time since we played a Test this competitive first up in a series in Australia.

One issue Australia does have is that while I admire Krejza for constantly tossing it up, there is no way at this stage of his career he can really restrict the scoring so if we want to bowl him we have to be content with 4rpo.

to be fair 279 is still a big pile of runs. 1 wicket and they can start to crumble. I don't care if S.a lose too much , but i'll be p!ssed if I see them fizzle out. Go for it and go hard and the consequences be damned.

saffer said:
With that said there's no sense talking about south Africa winning unless they can piece together another 150 runs without much damage.
Have faith, Saffer. You tend to forget that Smith and Amla have performed this year.

If the Proteas can pick up 2 centuries and some 50's then they can get to a decent score. Remember records are meant to be broken.

As you can see ... Smith got the first goal ... a century for him.

Smith brings up his 100. Man for the big occassion you got to give him that. Aussie media might start to shut up a bit about him now.

saffer said:
Smith brings up his 100. Man for the big occassion you got to give him that. Aussie media might start to shut up a bit about him now.

Not a chance :D

Not until the series is over anyway

Johnson's first innings performance seems to have hidden how poorly Australia has batted in this match, at least half their wickets have been thrown away. Credit to South Africa, for hanging in their yesterday, that was key. Pitch doesn't look like it should hold any worries for the South Africans, if South Africa win this could we be seeing the changing of the guard? Yes I'm jumping early but for Australia to be unable to defend 400 at home let alone Perth would be telling.

diondublin said:
Johnson's first innings performance seems to have hidden how poorly Australia has batted in this match, at least half their wickets have been thrown away. Credit to South Africa, for hanging in their yesterday, that was key. Pitch doesn't look like it should hold any worries for the South Africans, if South Africa win this could we be seeing the changing of the guard? Yes I'm jumping early but for Australia to be unable to defend 400 at home let alone Perth would be telling.

No but if they win the series yes.

If it were not for the Aussie tail making about 200 runs this match would be South Africa's already though....

Random Aussie said:
No but if they win the series yes.

If it were not for the Aussie tail making about 200 runs this match would be South Africa's already though....

Yes. Or the freak spell where johnson got like 6 wickets for no runs. Yes the state of the match masks the fact aussie have batted badly and their bowlers apart frpom johnson in one spell have been very unaffective.

Needed smith to go on for another 50 odd runs. That's put a dampener on s.a hopes. I'm still pretty chuffed with what I've seen thus far. I really was not convinced with the aussie performance this game. That may sound wierd when your team are losing but I suppose what i mean is that with a tiny bit of different luck S.a have an excellent chance of beating this Aussie team. I'm more sure of that than ever.

saffer said:
Yes. Or the freak spell where johnson got like 6 wickets for no runs. Yes the state of the match masks the fact aussie have batted badly and their bowlers apart frpom johnson in one spell have been very unaffective.

Was it a freak spell of bowling or poor batting from SA?.

50 for Amla, well played. I think we are going to see a lot of this bloke in the next 5 games.

Fish said:
Was it a freak spell of bowling or poor batting from SA?.

Bit of both for sure. Put it this way , on a normal day the S.a batting wouldn't have been so abd or the bowling as good. The gods smiled on aussie for this session. If the god's stay out of it then I easily see s.a beating them consistantly the next 5 tests.

saffer said:
Bit of both for sure. Put it this way , on a normal day the S.a batting wouldn't have been so abd or the bowling as good. The gods smiled on aussie for this session. If the god's stay out of it then I easily see s.a beating them consistantly the next 5 tests.

The gods are on our side because we are the good guys :D

I remember there was a thread earlier about the fittest cricketers in the world and MJ's name came up, he's proving it in this match. Day 4 of the test match, SA have been batting for a while and he's still at their necks.

saffer said:

I think you are getting ahead of yourself to think that the Australian batting will not come back stronger from this match. I can see Australia improving its batting from this match so lets just see how consistantly SA beat Australia over the next 5 tests.

Finally the great superstar fast bowler takes his first wicket for the match

Lee gets Amla 3/179 and we are back on top

This game has twisted and turned the whole 4 days, been great viewing.

Amla is out ? Oh well , that's game over. Taking nothing away from the Australians , I think with a little less luck they're going to struggle a lot the rest of this series.

saffer said:
Amla is out ? Oh well , that's game over. Taking nothing away from the Australians , I think with a little less luck they're going to struggle a lot the rest of this series.

Where were the Aussies lucky.

The moment SA start finding themselves in decent position they start to choke.

saffer said:

Normal day? Please elaborate how a normal day according to you.

Xoib said:
Johnson bowling magnificantly and SA bowling like a u-12 girls school team to Aussie tail.

Not that I'm suprised but I think you underestimate MJ as a bowler, if you look at his career you will see the batsmen he has dismissed the most are Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag and Gambhir so for him to rip through the SA's is a surprise to you says it all.

also Australian bowlers are very much quality tailend batsmen that has been proven many times before so once again to call them lucky is says more about the person commenting than the Aussie tail.

Fish said:
Not that I'm suprised but I think you underestimate MJ as a bowler, if you look at his career you will see the batsmen he has dismissed the most are Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag and Gambhir so for him to rip through the SA's is a surprise to you says it all.

also Australian bowlers are very much quality tailend batsmen that has been proven many times before so once again to call them lucky is says more about the person commenting than the Aussie tail.

Good to see you have a good grasp on sarcasm.

The smart money would be on Johnson or Lee getting Kallis, but he did well in the first innings and contrary to popular belief in this forum he can bat! Don't write SA off yet.

SA 3/196, Kallis starting to get settled. If these two can hang around until close of play SA will come out tomorrow needing around 200 runs with 7 wickets in hand. Australia would still have the upper hand but not by much.

Sparhawk said:
SA 3/196, Kallis starting to get settled. If these two can hang around until close of play SA will come out tomorrow needing around 200 runs with 7 wickets in hand. Australia would still have the upper hand but not by much.

It will take a lot still. For S.A to win basically what's required is a 100 run partnership between either these two and duminy. Leavin boucher and the tail to get another 100. Not impossible ...but it will be a mighty feat if they can pull it off.

Kallis just pulled one for 666666666666666666!!

Followed by a pull for 4444444!!!

Magnificent :D

Kallis past 5 deliveries faced:

6, 4, 3, 4, 4

WOW! That's so rare to see

saffer said:
It will take a lot still. For S.A to win basically what's required is a 100 run partnership between either these two and duminy. Leavin boucher and the tail to get another 100. Not impossible ...but it will be a mighty feat if they can pull it off.

I haven't seen much of duminy so don't know how reliable he is...

(Kallis has just broken loose, another 444 and another!!!! damn!)

But boucher is a fighter and even harris could stick around.

Sparhawk said:
Kallis just pulled one for 666666666666666666!!

Followed by a pull for 4444444!!!

Magnificent :D

Peter Siddle on the fast path to being dropped. Will be very lucky to play the next Test.

hahahahahahah

What can I say ?

187 needed...from 91 overs....7 wickets in hand...pitch flat as anything.

This could well be a ripping game.

444444 off the last delivery of the day! What a way to finish. Set's up the last day beautifully... i'm gonna wake up early to catch every bit of it :D

Great contest taking place.

Still quite even for the last day - two quick wickets and it could be all over, but if South Africa get this or the next partnership going then you would probably back them.

Depends on whether South Africa have the self belief or not.

Must watch Test tomorrow from all the rest, this is going to be a good finish.

diondublin said:
Siddle seems to have lost his spark.

Aussie bowling attack has no spark. Honestly...take away johnsons little freak spell and the south africans have laughed off the aussies bowling.

that's not to say the s.a bowling has been great. The pitch has offered no seam and the conditions no swing....all that stands between s.a and a resounding win has been the johnson spell....not the "great" aussie middle order batting.....I bet even the s.a lower order will bat well given a second chance on this flat deck.

dblock said:
Great contest taking place.

Still quite even for the last day - two quick wickets and it could be all over, but if South Africa get this or the next partnership going then you would probably back them.

Depends on whether South Africa have the self belief or not.

So right....these two get 50 more and the aussies sweat...quick wicket and aussie could win by 100 or more.

It's worth a watch though for sure.

Pride and fighting qualities is something I associate the South African sides since re-admission, with. And they have certainly displayed those characteristics in this match.

Topsy-turvy Test, a good match.

This is how you need to bat when you face Australia, not that crap NZ tried. Bat fast adn aggressive because most their bowlers are clueless once they on the backfoot. Some are also very lucky like Johnson (honestly, how did that guy get 7 wickets when he bowls one delivery). Kallis looking like a man on a mission.

Amir said:
This is how you need to bat when you face Australia, not that crap NZ tried. Bat fast adn aggressive because most their bowlers are clueless once they on the backfoot. Some are also very lucky like Johnson (honestly, how did that guy get 7 wickets when he bowls one delivery). Kallis looking like a man on a mission.

True that. Anyone get the feeling that the Kallis and Smith critcism etc might be coming back to bite the aussies in the bum before long?

It's fun and games to throw insults at the opposition until eventually you reach a point where they're rubbing your faces in it.

What a brilliant test match this has been - one of the best I have seen in a long while. The match has ebbed and flowed and its still difficult to predict who will win this game.

A couple of early wickets tomorrow and the Aussies should take the game, but if Kallis and ABD can hang around then the South Africans could chase down the huge target.

Saj said:
What a brilliant test match this has been - one of the best I have seen in a long while. The match has ebbed and flowed and its still difficult to predict who will win this game.

A couple of early wickets tomorrow and the Aussies should take the game, but if Kallis and ABD can hang around then the South Africans could chase down the huge target.

Yeah. The trick will be the Saffers not getting conservative because they are getting close. They better just keep going ticking over the score and forget everything else. This way they can def win this. The top 6 have done this well this game (bar mcenzie ...who makes a case for a gibbs return right now and dumminy ...who I rate highly but it's his first game).... and the bottom order can do better than the first innings. Morkel and Harris can bat pretty well when they get it right and they may be needed.

It all comes down to kallis/de villiers/dumminy and whether or not they can together put on over 100 ...i back boucher and the tail to do the rest if need be.

I could all end with a quick few wickets tomorrow morning...but if not this could be an amazing test.

Saffer you make a good point about not getting conservative. I think the Aussies were today stunned at the counter attack by Amla and Smith and the rate at they scored at, especially Smith and then the hammering that Kallis gave the bowlers in the last few overs.

Brilliant viewing and I'm sure it will be an enthralling days play tomorrow.

Gotta give credit where its due, I never really rated Smith till today, awesome knock and that too playing with a dodgy elbow even though it was against a Mcgrath & Warne less aussie side it has been an amazing knock... Well played... RA if SA win this series you can be safe with us Indian supporters getting of your back for the time being :D......

Saj said:
Saffer you make a good point about not getting conservative. I think the Aussies were today stunned at the counter attack by Amla and Smith and the rate at they scored at, especially Smith and then the hammering that Kallis gave the bowlers in the last few overs.

Brilliant viewing and I'm sure it will be an enthralling days play tomorrow.

I know it's a good point , but don't expect it to happen. I predict in fact the opposite. S.A will get way too conserbative...absord all the pressure and drop like flies. When we have played attacking we've shown more than enougn ability to put the ausie bowlers away.

Not to mention the fact that they'll have to dilute the slipo cordon etc if we attack....but I'd rather see us lose having a good go than prodding away like nervous little hapless prey. Win or lose is not as important that playing with big B@lls.

SA will win this test and prove they r a worthy contender for the Best Team in the world crown.

Smith talked less this series and did more.he richly deserves a win in this test.
Amla was majestic.

Kallis proved he is a class act.
he had done well in the first innings too.
He had a pretty poor year compared to the other SA players as well as his own standards over the past few years. he is very accomplished in playing pace bowling and is very comfortable in playing spin. he just needs some more luck to see SA through. i trust he will win this for SA and Duminy even if ABD falls because in Boucher, SA have a first rate crisis man.shud be an interesting day. will watch this and just check mohali scores during SA advt.breaks.

in fact they can take a leaf out of Gilchrist & langer effort against pak in 1999. Gilchrist later told that they were just concentrating on scoring the next 10 runs and then another 10 runs at a time rather than looking at the target as a whole.

Dravid regained form with an useful century today at mohali, it would be kallis turn to repay the support provided by the other SA batsmen over the year, who covered him up nicely.

India chased 387 last week. SA can go one better tomorrow!

Kallis has once done this against Australia chasing a total of 340 plus. They successfully chased with 5 wickets to spare. Though it was a dead rubber they won it. That attack was far more challenging than this one. He knows how to do it. So Australia must be frantically planning.

Superb reply by the Saffers.

I had mentioned at the conclusion of Chennai set that it is gonna set some trends. This is some real good cricket. We'll soon see more and more scores in the vicinity of 400 being chased by the team.

This is SA's test for a taking. But they have to get over some past demons.

People will be scared to make the declaration from here on. More like Kolkatta test set the trend of teams not enforcing follow on for a while.

Have to give it to S.A they have a brilliant chance of getting this total. Partnerships are the key and someone may need to get a hundred to take S.A close to finishing line. Should be an exciting last day of the match!

Inshallah...Saffers will win by 6 wickets with Kallis not out on 100*...

S Africa just need to believe that they can do it, they have successfully chased a total larger than this in a ODI before. If this partnership can get the target down to under 3 figures then SA have a real chance. A south Africa win here will realy set the series up.

The match i believe is still evenly poised. The South Africans given the Australian team they are up against should win this easily. There are absolutely no demons in the pitch and there is no threat in the Aussie bowling attack barring Johnson but Johnson has had a huge workload this season and it has taken a tiring toll on him.

The only thing that goes in their favor is the South African history of choking and this is not a joke. The South Africans are their own enemies and they just mess up during those critical moments.

But overall i must say 60% South Africa, 40% Australia.

If i were an Aussie Selector i would be extremely worried about the future of the squad. For too long they have enjoyed the luxury of having Mcgrath, Warne, Gillespie, Gilchrist in the same team. Those guys were unbelievably consistent.

But Lee, Johnson, Siddle, Clarke, Kretza are not in the same league. And one person cannot carry the bowling attack forever. Some serious thinking required or perhaps the need is to accept that the Aussie side is no longer the only top team at the moment as it used to be.

I believe this match is in the hands of De Villiers and Kallis. If they get out early tomorrow, Australia will romp to a victory. If they play sensibly and remain not out till lunch, South Africa will easily get through. This partnership is incredibly crucial, because unless the South African lower-order dramatically fires, I cannot see them winning this match if this partnership is broken

Back