Australia vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Hobart | Dec 14-18, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I know he only got 30 today, but I say that 4 is the right position for Watson.

I'd prefer him at 6 to be honest. He's grossly overated as a test batsman.

It's interesting to not that both Warner and Hughes have scored more test centuries than Watson and I'm pretty sure that they both have higher averages as well.

I'd prefer him at 6 to be honest. He's grossly overated as a test batsman.

It's interesting to not that both Warner and Hughes have scored more test centuries than Watson and I'm pretty sure that they both have higher averages as well.

Nope Hughes averages 35 I think and Watson 36, Cowan averages 34

Interestingly Watson averages 43 as an opener,

Nope Hughes averages 35 I think and Watson 36, Cowan averages 34

Interestingly Watson averages 43 as an opener,

Watson was first selected to open when he was in the greatest batting form of his life.

He'd have scored runs batting anywhere.

It's really quite poor that he failed to convert all those 50s.

In shield cricket he was an abject failure as an opener whilst very strong in the middle order.

He's a better bowler than a batsman in my opinion.

I hate Ian Healy with the fire of a billion suns

4/234, for all the rubbish said about the SL bowlers, they have kept things tight here.

At least Healy doesn't pretend to be something he's not. Nicholas just sucks up to ch 9 and talks about the opposition as if he has complete knowledge about them, pseudo intellectual :facepalm:

Watson was first selected to open when he was in the greatest batting form of his life.

He'd have scored runs batting anywhere.

It's really quite poor that he failed to convert all those 50s.

In shield cricket he was an abject failure as an opener whilst very strong in the middle order.

He's a better bowler than a batsman in my opinion.

The Aussie top order isn't exactly spoiled for choice though. The middle order with Clarke and Hussey is solid, but I haven't seen any other options at the top. #4 seems about right for Watson, at the moment.

I think we can all agree that Channel 9 should outsource commentary to the ABC.

The Aussie top order isn't exactly spoiled for choice though. The middle order with Clarke and Hussey is solid, but I haven't seen any other options at the top. #4 seems about right for Watson, at the moment.

Ideally Khawaja and Burns will move in to the team.

At least Healy doesn't pretend to be something he's not. Nicholas just sucks up to ch 9 and talks about the opposition as if he has complete knowledge about them, pseudo intellectual :facepalm:

I dont love Mark Nicholas either. Actually, if you took a poll I would bet most Aussie cricket fans would say they hate the Channel 9 commentators. But we get no choice, they dont take feedback, its jobs for the boys.

During the SA tour he was doing commentary for both Channel 9 and SuperSport. I had access to both audio streams, and Nicholas would cheer on whichever country he was doing commentary for.

He's more tolerable than Ian Healy though, and he's a good writer.

During the SA tour he was doing commentary for both Channel 9 and SuperSport. I had access to both audio streams, and Nicholas would cheer on whichever country he was doing commentary for.

He's more tolerable than Ian Healy though, and he's a good writer.

Nicholas has toned it down over the past couple of years, his hyperbole used to be unbearable. These days its tolerable to me. But Healy is not.

4/242 this is pretty slow going

There's certainly uneven bounce in this pitch, some keep low some bounce high, AUS bowlers might be able to get more out of it I think. SL didn't have the pace but kept it tight, AUS have the edge but another wicket today for SL might have kept the match in balance.

It will be a different wicket when we come out to bat
:4 :6 :out :duck :yk

Need to somehow get Clarke and Hussey out first thing tomorrow otherwise will be chasing leather all day. That won't be any fun.

Need to somehow get Clarke and Hussey out first thing tomorrow otherwise will be chasing leather all day. That won't be any fun.
Good luck, I've been saying that all series when our guys were there.

This has to be quite an insult, Phillip Hughes replacing Ponting. Hussey too will be on his way out soon, at his age, it will take just one bad series to do the inevitable. Aussies need to be on the lookout for plenty of batsmen, tough future ahead, Clarke will have to play the Inzi role for the team.

Good luck, I've been saying that all series when our guys were there.

Them two were so damn lucky in that series. I remember so many close calls they managed to somehow survive. Bit of the same today. Clarke somehow manages to get a bit of bat on ball when the ball is just about to sneak through and Hussey also got away with a chance at slip. Here's hoping that by tomorrow they have run out of luck. We are the ones who need the luck dammit. Just look at our team :yk

Didn't see much of today but did see a bit of the partnership between Huss and Pup - geez those two must be close to the most potent middle order partnerships going around at the moment. As for Hughesy I'm not yet convinced.

Healy, Slats, Taylor. Easily the worst trio in the world.

I like M Nicholas a lot personally.

Proper the only commentator I find worse is Danny Morrison.

Didn't see much of today but did see a bit of the partnership between Huss and Pup - geez those two must be close to the most potent middle order partnerships going around at the moment. As for Hughesy I'm not yet convinced.

Hussey won't score in England in the Ashes, I think that will be his last series.

As expected Aussie batsmen feasting on feeble SL bowling. only question is can SL batsmen score just as well to make this test series competative.

This has to be quite an insult, Phillip Hughes replacing Ponting. Hussey too will be on his way out soon, at his age, it will take just one bad series to do the inevitable. Aussies need to be on the lookout for plenty of batsmen, tough future ahead, Clarke will have to play the Inzi role for the team.

Well seeing as we would concede our team is dead ordinary, we were doing pretty well to be competing with the Saffers for number one a week or so ago.....

Well seeing as we would concede our team is dead ordinary, we were doing pretty well to be competing with the Saffers for number one a week or so ago.....

Tbf the saffers aren't too ahead of the pack, the current quality of teams aren't really that great either.

Yes because SL batsmen can't handle bounce (aside from Sanga). It always takes them a few games.

Australian batsmen don't play bounce that well either. It's the only reason the WACA gets low scores in the first innings of matches. Eastern staters can't really handle the bounce and the Western Australians can't handle the Milo Have a Go bowlers.

Sri Lanka team

FDM Karunaratne, TM Dilshan, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene*, TT Samaraweera, AD Mathews, HAPW Jayawardene†, KMDN Kulasekara, HMRKB Herath, RMS Eranga, UWMBCA Welegedara

Australia team

DA Warner, EJM Cowan, PJ Hughes, Watson, MJ Clarke*, MEK Hussey, MS Wade†, PM Siddle, MA Starc, BW Hilfenhaus, NM Lyon

Top 100 by Mr Cricket. Man he's lucky these days. Dropped by Matthews on 96 as well :facepalm:

Very defensive field settings by MJ. Not much of a surprise really not that good of a captain in Tests. Easy singles every where. Good start to get rid of Clarke early in the day but Aus are well on top now.

Going to be very interesting to see how Aus bowlers go on this track. Pretty sure the wicket is going to come alive all of a sudden. :lee

Sanga is not in the best of form so others will have to chip in with big scores here. Need the top order to pile up the runs to have any chance of even drawing this one

Hope mystery boi is fit and is called up to replace Randiv in the upcoming Tests. Him and Herath would be a handy combo especially with DRS in place. We have nothing to lose any way. Need at least a bit of oomph in the attack.

Impressed with Karuna. Looked good before getting that beauty from Hilfy. Hope he can have a bit more luck and score a biggie in the 2nd dig.

Sanga goes. Time for the rest to show their mettle.

208 more to avoid follow on. I guess that should be the first target.

Sri Lanka have got great opportunity to win this series as Australia are in transition and are experimenting with the batting line up.

Sri Lanka have got great opportunity to win this series as Australia are in transition and are experimenting with the batting line up.

One draw and no innings defeats and I'll be over the moon

tumblr_lm6u1o14kp1qkwc9zo1_250.gif

Great sporting declaration by Clarke to keep the game moving along. SL were looking good to post a decent total but screwed it up big time with some poor batting. Now just like the NZ series it will be up to Matthews to rescue the sinking ship. Need to at least score another 160 odd to avoid the follow on. Hope to at least see some fight from the lower order.

both sri lanka and india need massive overhaul .......chandimal shd should hav been playing here,,,,,he relishes these condition,,,even if he would hav failed ,this tour cld hav been great learning exp 4 him,

Yeah true I reckon Chandimal would have done well in Aus. Did a good job in SA when he finally got an opportunity. Not sure why Mendis is not in the squad either. Good to at least see Paranavitana dropped.

Had the chance to watch Herath the Destroyer bowl a long spell yesterday. He is a very good bowler.

Good 100 from Dilshan too. Match delayed by rain.

Now Hilfy injured. Joins Harris, Cummins, Hazelwood and Pattinson on the sidelines.

Our medical staff need to be all fired, this is a joke.

Great effort by dilshan,deserved the hundred

Mathew doing a fine job again.This guy really has become a reliable player.

Btw Whats up with these new breed of fast bowlers? Dont seem to last long. They're built like tanks yet sustain an injury every other test match.

This new bowling programme introduced by CA isnt working at all. because bowlers aren't getting enough bowling fitness. Imran was right when he said that a bowler needs more bowling fitness then physical fitness.

Now Hilfy injured. Joins Harris, Cummins, Hazelwood and Pattinson on the sidelines.

Our medical staff need to be all fired, this is a joke.

Agreed

Great effort by dilshan,deserved the hundred

Mathew doing a fine job again.This guy really has become a reliable player.

Btw Whats up with these new breed of fast bowlers? Dont seem to last long. They're built like tanks yet sustain an injury every other test match.

This new bowling programme introduced by CA isnt working at all. because bowlers aren't getting enough bowling fitness. Imran was right when he said that a bowler needs more bowling fitness then physical fitness.

Agreed

Agree, I think bulky muscles will actually work against them. Too much emphasis on gym fitness and not on bowling fitness I feel.

Siddle has a big heart as a bowler, he keeps coming back .

I would like to see Bollinger also in the mix up , he can be effective.

Mathews got out just before Tea, bit unfortunate for SL, they need to bat till end of day's play if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back