Australia vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Hobart | Dec 14-18, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia are favourites due to that lead they've earned, but SL could get a draw and at Hobart that would be a good result for them.

Top knock by Dilly and great support by Matthews as well. A very good comeback in the end but it was a bit disappointing to see the tail give it away too easily. What's even more disappointing is MJ's defensive mindset. Could have got Cowan out had a plumb LBW been referred and should have also had Warner out if a third slip was in place. MJ stop being so damn defensive and negative! Cut down the easy singles and put a 3rd slip in place for the new ball dammit! It's not rocket science

Top knock by Dilly and great support by Matthews as well. A very good comeback in the end but it was a bit disappointing to see the tail give it away too easily. What's even more disappointing is MJ's defensive mindset. Could have got Cowan out had a plumb LBW been referred and should have also had Warner out if a third slip was in place. MJ stop being so damn defensive and negative! Cut down the easy singles and put a 3rd slip in place for the new ball dammit! It's not rocket science

I have to agree with you.

I was amazed about how timid he was. I recall him having more confidence in his previous stint as skipper

I have to agree with you.

I was amazed about how timid he was. I recall him having more confidence in his previous stint as skipper

It looks to me like he has just given up on trying to get Aus out. So it's all about saving runs for him. Did the same thing the first innings. He has always been an average Test captain imo. Just waiting for things to happen rather than being proactive. But yeah as you say he has taken that to a whole new level in his second stint as captain. To be fair to him though that has pretty much been the case for basically all our Test captains that I have seen during the last decade and a half or so. That sort of defensive mindset is probably why SL have remained an ordinary Test side outside of home.

Is Watto having issues with Clarke? Averages 26 under him with the bat. Averaged 42 under Ponting.

100 run opening partnership, we dont see many of these in Australia from our team these days

Australia looking strong. Good work by Cowan and Warner.

Warner starting to up the rate now, a six and some boundaries. Its been a good innings from him, the situation called for caution first up.

Good fightback from the Lankans. Phillip the failure Hughes walks back to the shed.

Aus still in a good position but 350 could be chased down.

SL beat SA in South Africa so it's a bit arrogant of Aussies thinking they can't also do them over once. Maybe not this test but there isn't a huge difference between teams.

Good fightback from the Lankans. Phillip the failure Hughes walks back to the shed.

Aus still in a good position but 350 could be chased down.

SL beat SA in South Africa so it's a bit arrogant of Aussies thinking they can't also do them over once. Maybe not this test but there isn't a huge difference between teams.

Please, Oz will declare with a lead of 400+ or be bowled out for 450.

Pitch is starting to play tricks. Even playing this match a strike bowler down, Oz will win in last session or have SL 7 down or so at the draw.

Gap between the two teams is pretty big IMO. Oz are/will be challenging for the top spot in the next 2/3 years.
SL will be battling it out with WI & NZ for spots 6, 7 & 8 with WI getting on top.

Back to Pup and Mr Cricket to save us again

Please, Oz will declare with a lead of 400+ or be bowled out for 450.

Trying to score quick could see them short as another departs. Sure with a little good batting 450 lead is very much on but if SL somehow bowl them out for another 50, it's can be chased, being the point here.

Pitch is starting to play tricks. Even playing this match a strike bowler down, Oz will win in last session or have SL 7 down or so at the draw.

Gap between the two teams is pretty big IMO. Oz are/will be challenging for the top spot in the next 2/3 years.
SL will be battling it out with WI & NZ for spots 6, 7 & 8 with WI getting on top.

This isn't predict the future but current line ups. Lankans at their best can beat Aus at home as they did against SA. Or do you think Aus is better than SA? :msd

This isn't predict the future but current line ups. Lankans at their best can beat Aus at home as they did against SA. Or do you think Aus is better than SA? :msd

Not sure why you want to use SA as a yardstick. Lankans couldnt beat us in Sri Lanka last year, let alone ever in their history looked like winning a Test out here.

Anything is possible but if you want to use past performance as any guide, SL have no hope.

I think Oz is still harder to beat at home than SA and the records show it.

I also think this SL team is awful (Sanga aside).

The gap between the teams will be shown by Oz declaring 50% or more of their innings over the course of the series.

Last edited:
I think Oz is still harder to beat at home than SA and the records show it.

I also think this SL team is awful (Sanga aside).

You go with history and future predictions, I prefer looking at the current teams. Australia are not the team of old, they are nothing like the great Australian side which dominated the game for years in all formats. This team isn't even close! The current Saffers team is the undisputed no.1 team in the world now. Only 12 months ago Lanka won a test match against them. Watch the game it was a brilliant performance with many of the same players here today. An inspired Lanka can beat Australia at home, it's daft to rule it out.

The draw is still on here for Lanka.

You go with history and future predictions, I prefer looking at the current teams. Australia are not the team of old, they are nothing like the great Australian side which dominated the game for years in all formats. This team isn't even close! The current Saffers team is the undisputed no.1 team in the world now. Only 12 months ago Lanka won a test match against them. Watch the game it was a brilliant performance with many of the same players here today. An inspired Lanka can beat Australia at home, it's daft to rule it out.

Like I said, this current SL team is awful (one fluke win excepted).

This current Oz team will declare 50% + of their innings in this series because SL lack any serious bowlers. There we will see the strength of the current lineups.

PS. lol at disregarding some history but quoting wins from a year ago to make your case. Strong logic.

So did we. And we ran the Saffers very close in the series just gone.

But ok then. I will await the Sri Lankan dominance.

Australia would declare soon , they would like to bowl at least 20 - 25 overs tonight at SL.

Like I said, this current SL team is awful (one fluke win excepted).

You think it's possible to fluke a test match victory against the no.1 team?

[]B]This current[/B] Oz team will declare 50% + of their innings in this series because SL lack any serious bowlers. There we will see the strength of the current lineups.

PS. lol at disregarding some history but quoting wins from a year ago to make your case. Strong logic.

lol. History is the distant past when teams had different personnel. If you want to remember Alan Border's mustache then it's faired income but it would make more sense to discuss the current set of players, their strengths and form.

Australia have yet to take 20 wickets yet. Sri Lanka are very much capable of putting up a fight to save this game.

Good knock by Clarke, shame he went of injured.

Siddle goes edged behind. Only 3 wickets needed now.

SL have been performing overseas much better than they were expected. They will take the game to last day.

Impressive by Herath, looks to be under rated around the world, first time I've seen him bowl properly. Clever guy

Last edited:
Watoo is the one who gets wicket again ........

what a bowler he is. Purely golden arm.

Balls are starting to keep very low. It will take a miracle, or more likely another Aussie injury for SL to draw this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back