Australia vs Sri Lanka | 1st Test | Hobart | Dec 14-18, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good fight from Sri Lanka I'd say, but was always gonna be tough for them to avoid defeat when the 1st Test was at Hobart.

Going to be tough for SL. Too many runs IMO

Lankan tactic should be to get Clarke to bowl Siddle to injury again so they have no spearhead for the remainder of the series.

The pitch has bit of variable bounce .Does any one think SL can chase this down ?

They'll play for the draw, especially if they lose Sanga early on tomorrow.

Lol no way they're going for the target, they'll be trying to block like their life depended on it lol

Siddle should be careful here, might injure himself with already Clarke and Hilfenhaus out for Boxing day :))

With Aussies 1 bowler short already i didnt understand why SL didnt have a go at this total. I think if sanga and Mahela are still there at lunch tomorrow they should look to have a go at this total as there arent any demons in this pitch.

With Aussies 1 bowler short already i didnt understand why SL didnt have a go at this total. I think if sanga and Mahela are still there at lunch tomorrow they should look to have a go at this total as there arent any demons in this pitch.
did you even see a few overs today ? Variable bounce is apparent .

did you even see a few overs today ? Variable bounce is apparent .

The odd ball was misbehaving but otherwise there isnt much to worry bout and the Aussie attack is down to 3.5 bowlers, better to be positive in such situations.

The odd ball was misbehaving but otherwise there isnt much to worry bout and the Aussie attack is down to 3.5 bowlers, better to be positive in such situations.

Who is the half bowler?

Starc?

Great bowling by Herath another 5-fer to add to his tally. Other bowlers also supported him well and kept things tight. Still a lot of work to do for the batsmen. Not the type of wicket you can get in and consolidate. Cracks and rough patches every where. Hopefully the guys can hang in there and save this one.

Gonna be tough for SL to save.

Personally I think the pitch is gonna be tough (as a 5th day pitch should be) and they'll be bowled out early in the last session.

If they are good enough to hang on for a draw then I'll tip my hat to SL.

Big chance for Starc & Lyon to show they are worth their place, Sids can't be left to do it all on his own again.

Chance of a draw, especially if there are a few showers. But I'd still say an Aussie win is the likeliest result.

Who is the half bowler?

Starc?

watson, as hes just comeback from injury i doubt the aussies will risk over bowling him.

Lyon will be asked to pretty much bowl one end tomorrow and also clarke being injured wont help the aussies as he would have been a handy bowler as well.

SL 88/2 - Sanga and Jayawardene out in the middle. Aus need 8 wickets to win on the final day here.

Chris Board says no official complaint received, it's only the media I guess

Daniel Brettig ‏@danbrettig

SL media report team concerns Siddle picked seam on day 3. ICC Ref Chris Broad aware of reports but says no official complaint #cricket

Oh they are going NZ style. No official complaint, no report but leak it to the media anyway.

Siddle off as soon as he gets a wicket. At least we are not confused about who our strike bowler is. Imagine that will be the pattern all day.

Jaya is such an elegant and classy player but almost always fail outside asia . I dont think it has to do with his technique or skills. Maybe he needs some counselling :rashid

Samara how many years has he been a professional cricketer. Walking around when the ball is in play. Ball watching when running. Wake up!

My main man Samaraweera, after smashing Steyn and Morkel for a century in SA, is once again showing he's no FTB. Brutal innings so far.

I think it's a hard pitch to bat against the old ball than the new ball

Some decent support by Sanga but he's playing at half the pace.

My main man Samaraweera, after smashing Steyn and Morkel for a century in SA, is once again showing he's no FTB. Brutal innings so far.

He's still got a lot to prove though.

Games in the balance so far. Sanga playing a good knock needs some support though.

flat deck, pants bowling attack. when you're only 3 down you can still afford to go for it a little bit, and i'd hate to see them not eye up the target at some point, it's a bit less than 4 an over required from here. if you lose a wicket fair enough, retreat for a while.

flat deck, pants bowling attack. when you're only 3 down you can still afford to go for it a little bit, and i'd hate to see them not eye up the target at some point, it's a bit less than 4 an over required from here. if you lose a wicket fair enough, retreat for a while.

This pitch is not flat at all, some people just follow the game on cricinfo scorecards

i'm watching, it's quite flat.

A lot of consistent variable bounce on offer, some roll along the ground, some jump off a good length, chasing the target is out of the question, you're deluded if you think so, saving the Test is going to be a struggle for SL even with a bowler short.

Far from a flat deck. Cracks and rough every where. Besides in the entire history of 5 day Tests teams have only put up 390+ in the 4th innings 19 times. SL did make 410 in the 4th innings last time they were here though. Could have sneaked a win or at least a draw there had it not been for substandard umpiring.

Last edited:
DRS is a must. The ump at least gets 1 out of 3.

Lol hopefully he can have a good rest here. Time to do the rain dance.

raindance.jpg

Just saw the replay. Hitting in front of middle, half way up, and going on to hit middle. Good review mate.

Mitchell Starc, although having promise, swing, pace and bounce, has been no good at all this game. Cant bowl line and length.

Ha they are showing the highlights from 1999 v Pakistan again. I watched some of it over the weekend and I have to admit..............................................Pakistan were robbed. Some of those LBW were so plumb and not given.

Ha they are showing the highlights from 1999 v Pakistan again. I watched some of it over the weekend and I have to admit..............................................Pakistan were robbed. Some of those LBW were so plumb and not given.

What about Langer's edge as well. Aus cheating as always. :warne

Mitchell Starc, although having promise, swing, pace and bounce, has been no good at all this game. Cant bowl line and length.

He hasn't bowled too badly though imo. He has bowled some beauties. Just need a bit of consistency.

What about Langer's edge as well. Aus cheating as always. :warne

Teams that have made cricket change two of the oldest laws (chucking and the runner) due to their exploitation of the rules, perhaps shouldnt accuse others of cheating :)

Langers edge was just one decision. And he is within his rights not to walk. But there were a bunch of LBW shouts in our first innings that were totally plumb.

Lyon lol..

Not sure why the Ch9 commentators need to make it sound like he's some sort of Warne every time he's bowling and looking crap, sounds like they're trying to convince themselves he's the spinner Australia crave.

People are harsh on Lyon, Australia is where off spinners see their careers die and he averages around 30. No he isnt Saqlain Mustaq.

I think the Lion is doing a great job. He has bowled well every time I have seen him play. Plus handy with the bat and on the field as well.

Teams that have made cricket change two of the oldest laws (chucking and the runner) due to their exploitation of the rules, perhaps shouldnt accuse others of cheating :)

Langers edge was just one decision. And he is within his rights not to walk. But there were a bunch of LBW shouts in our first innings that were totally plumb.

We didn't exploit. We updated. ;-)

I agree, people are harsh on Lyon. He's not that bad.. plus I see him improving match by match. He is working on that away drift which is developing nicely. Finger spinners have never enjoyed much success in Australia anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back