Bangladesh announce their squad for ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Najmul Hossain Shanto, who was appointed as Bangladesh captain in all formats earlier this year, is poised to lead his team in the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

On the back of a solid 4-1 win over Zimbabwe in the recently-concluded T20I home series, Bangladesh announced their 15-member squad for next month's marquee event.

The squad also features experienced all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, who returned to T20I cricket after a gap of nearly a year. Shakib was named in the squad for Bangladesh's final two T20Is against Zimbabwe and impressed with a four-wicket haul in the fourth game.

There were no major surprises in Bangladesh’s 15-player squad for the T20 World Cup, with young quick Tanzim Hasan Sakib earning selection after two appearances against Zimbabwe.

Selectors also included left-arm quick Shoriful Islam, after the 22-year-old was rested for the final two matches with Zimbabwe. Afif Hossain Dhrubo and Hasan Mahmud will travel to the tournament as reserves.

Bangladesh are drawn in Group D alongside South Africa, Sri Lanka, Netherlands and Nepal for next month's event, with their first contest coming against Sri Lanka in Dallas on June 7.

Bangladesh squad: Najmul Hossain Shanto (c), Taskin Ahmed, Litton Das, Soumya Sarkar, Tanzid Hasan Tamim, Shakib Al Hasan, Tawhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah Riyad, Jaker Ali Anik, Tanvir Islam, Shak Mahedi Hasan, Rishad Hossain, Mustafizur Rahman, Shoriful Islam, Tanzim Hasan Sakib. Travelling reserves: Afif Hossain, Hasan Mahmud

ICC

They will be once again relying on the experience of Shakib Al Hasan who will be playing in his last T20 world cup. Surprised to not see Mushfiqur Rahim in the squad.

Bangladesh considering top-order switch at T20 World Cup

The Asian side are yet to lock in positions for their batters at the T20 World Cup, with the promotion of a veteran all-rounder to No.3 still being considered.

Bangladesh are tossing up whether to use veteran all-rounder Shakib Al-Hasan in their top-order during next month's ICC T20 World Cup.

Shakib has batted mainly at No.5 or No.6 at T20I level in recent times, but has performed well when coming in at first drop for Bangladesh in the past.

Shakib Al-Hasan T20I performance by batting position

PositionTotal RunsAverageStrike-rate
Opener9975
No.3108529.32123.15
No.488022.56127.16
No.530916.26110.75
No.69130.33130
No.7301093.75

The 37-year-old has scored seven of his 12 half-centuries at T20I level when batting at No.3 and even appeared in this position against India at the most recent T20 World Cup in Australia.

Skipper Najmul Hossain Shanto has batted at No.3 for Bangladesh over the last 12 months, but the 25-year-old was utilised as an opener in Australia at the last edition of the 20-over showcase.

Bangladesh coach Chandika Hathurusingha suggested on Wednesday that none of his batters were locked into set batting positions for the T20 World Cup and Shanto said the option of promoting Shakib to No.3 was a possibility they were seriously considering.

"It depends on the condition and the strength of the opposition but it can happen (Shakib batting at No.3)," Shanto told Cricbuzz.

Litton Das, Tanzid Hossain, Soumya Sarkar are other top-order batters Bangladesh have in their 15-player group for the T20 World Cup and Hathurusingha said all players will need to be ready to bat in any position, based upon the status of the game and the conditions of the pitch.

"In T20 cricket, yes. Batting order will be changing. That's normally cricket. It's about where you bat and how best you bat," he said.

Bangladesh are drawn in Group D at the T20 World Cup alongside Sri Lanka, South Africa, Nepal, and the Netherlands, with their opening match of the tournament coming against Sri Lanka in Dallas on June 7.

Bangladesh have progressed to the second round of competition at the last four editions of the T20 World Cup, but are yet to earn a semi-final berth despite having appeared at every tournament since its inception in 2008.

While Hathurusingha would love to see that change this time around, the former Sri Lanka international has set his side the first goal of making it into the Super 8s stage of the tournament.

“I understand as a country now, we have high aspiration because we have been playing good cricket generally out of ICC events and it's the same (here)," he said.

"We have high expectation as players and the staff and as well as the fans and the country. The first step is to get through this difficult group stage. We are in a very strong group. Then we take, if we get through that one, that's the main target, first one, and then we'll take it from there."

ICC

Probably the weakest team in world cup. Besides the obvious associates ofcourse.

Probably the weakest team in world cup. Besides the obvious associates ofcourse.
Yeah, I guess you are right here. Not looking like a good unit when compared to the likes of Afghans or lankan team.

Yeah, I guess you are right here. Not looking like a good unit when compared to the likes of Afghans or lankan team.
Bangladesh gave up after 2016 tbh.

2011 to 2016 they were improving especially after that Pakistan whitewash.

Rn it's clear as day they don't even wanna be here. Bas dil kush rakhnei kei lyei yei boys ai hain

Their probs have the worst mindset ampungst all teams as even teams like Nepal play with passion and for their crest with amazing love from their supporters, knowing full well they won't win or even have a chance but they enjoy and are passionate.

Actually Bangladesh is probs the only team to have an even worse mindset then Pakistan atm

Why Mushfirur Raheem is not the squad? has he retired?
New selection panel and new coach wants all the legacy players to retire. Mahmudullah is still there because BD pipeline for batsmen is really bad.

Mushfiq is replaced by Jaker Ali I think, who is a better T20 player with calmer head than Mushy.

Bangladesh bowler reprimanded for violation of ICC Code of Conduct

Bangladesh seamer Tanzim Hasan Sakib has been fined 15 percent of his match fee for his code of conduct violation on Sunday.

The incident took place in the third over of the Nepal chase, where amidst a spirited spell Tanzim had a mid-pitch conversation with Nepal skipper Rohit Paudel.

Tanzim bowled exceptionally well in the game and finished with a match-winning spell of 4/7. Bangladesh took the game by 21 runs.

Tanzim was found to have breached Article 2.12 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to “inappropriate physical contact with a Player, Player Support Personnel, Umpire, Match Referee or any other person (including a spectator during an International Match".

The charges were levelled by on-field umpires Ahsan Raza and Sam Nogajski, along with third umpire Jayaraman Madanagopal and fourth umpire Kumar Dharmasena.

Tanzim admitted to the offence and accepted the sanction proposed by Richie Richardson of the Emirates ICC Elite Panel of Match Referees, and there was no need for a formal hearing.

ICC

Bangladesh bowler reprimanded for violation of ICC Code of Conduct

Bangladesh seamer Tanzim Hasan Sakib has been fined 15 percent of his match fee for his code of conduct violation on Sunday.

The incident took place in the third over of the Nepal chase, where amidst a spirited spell Tanzim had a mid-pitch conversation with Nepal skipper Rohit Paudel.

Tanzim bowled exceptionally well in the game and finished with a match-winning spell of 4/7. Bangladesh took the game by 21 runs.

Tanzim was found to have breached Article 2.12 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to “inappropriate physical contact with a Player, Player Support Personnel, Umpire, Match Referee or any other person (including a spectator during an International Match".

The charges were levelled by on-field umpires Ahsan Raza and Sam Nogajski, along with third umpire Jayaraman Madanagopal and fourth umpire Kumar Dharmasena.

Tanzim admitted to the offence and accepted the sanction proposed by Richie Richardson of the Emirates ICC Elite Panel of Match Referees, and there was no need for a formal hearing.

ICC

Fine is justified. Tanzim started to sledge and it got out of hands quickly.

I was expecting a 1-match ban (there was physical contact). Glad there is no ban.

Whenever Bangladesh pops up in cricket forum, it is always about bangladeshi players misbehaving.

They seem like that class in a school which neither have talent or skills but bullys the juniors. They never reached the stage of "maturity" unlike the other teams. "Man-child" comes to mind when referencing to the bangladeshi cricket players.

Whenever Bangladesh pops up in cricket forum, it is always about bangladeshi players misbehaving.

They seem like that class in a school which neither have talent or skills but bullys the juniors. They never reached the stage of "maturity" unlike the other teams. "Man-child" comes to mind when referencing to the bangladeshi cricket players.

Do Indian players not misbehave? LOL. Kohli? Gambhir? Ashwin?

Not all Bangladeshi players misbehave. Most are gentlemen. Mustafiz is a big gentleman.

Things can get heated during a cricket game. Bangladesh was defending a low total. Players were charged up.

Again, not defending Tanzim's action. That was unnecessary.

It is way more common in under-19. They are known for ugly send offs. In 2020 Bangladesh captain apologized in press conference for their acts. Big fight broke out after the final.

Not all Bangladeshi players misbehave. Most are gentlemen. Mustafiz is a big gentleman.

Things can get heated during a cricket game. Bangladesh was defending a low total. Players were charged up.

People will tolerate you as long as you have a utility.

You think all those people, who wanted amir even after spot fixing, would have forgiven or wanted him back had he been talentless?

It all depends upon how much you can offer. As I have already mentioned, Bangladesh have nothing to show as their achievement yet it wants to match with the big boys in terms of aggression.

O bhai, if you want to match, then match the big teams against batting or bowling or fielding.... But you took the only negative qualities and that too modified in a cringex100 level.

This Bangladesh team has something... They always successfully makes people irritated. That's their speciality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here comes the PP's resident insecure BD fan (and a rabid Anti India fella at the same time) with an ego bigger than what BD achieved all these years as a cricket team in any format to defend the indefensible (that is BD players and their antics on the field).

Bangladesh have nothing to show as their achievement yet it wants to match with the big boys in terms of aggression.

Should BD players giggle and dance like Kareena Kapoor just because they didn't win any silverware? I am not understanding your point.

This is men's cricket. A little heat here and there is to be expected.

They made it to Super 8 by eliminating Sri Lanka. They haven't done too bad in this tournament.

Should BD players giggle and dance like Kareena Kapoor just because they didn't win any silverware? I am not understanding your point.

This is men's cricket. A little heat here and there is to be expected.

They made it to Super 8 by eliminating Sri Lanka. They haven't done too bad in this tournament.

I suggest keeping composure and not feeding trolls/poor posts.

Are you saying a person can misbehave and do whatever if he is good at something? That's a problematic view.
Yes. Because norms are set by societies and this is what most societies accept in exchange of skills/asset that the person have.

Problematic is a subjective interpretation. For you, it is problematic. But for me, it isn't.

If you want to misbehave, then at least earn that position where one cant question your lack of any skill to ignore the rest.

Most Bangladeshi players behave like manchild to be honest.

Yes. Because norms are set by societies and this is what most societies accept in exchange of skills/asset that the person have.

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion. I doubt any Bangladeshi would be losing sleep over it.

Back to cricket.

Bangladesh need to win 2 out of 3. They can maybe beat the Afghans as they often beat them during ICC events. Even in 2023 World Cup, Afghanistan lost to BD.

They have to find a way to get one more win against either the Aussies or India. Easier said than done of course.

Back to cricket.

Bangladesh need to win 2 out of 3. They can maybe beat the Afghans as they often beat them during ICC events. Even in 2023 World Cup, Afghanistan lost to BD.

They have to find a way to get one more win against either the Aussies or India. Easier said than done of course.
Bangladesh is not going to win any. Afghanistan is not as bad this time as they were in the ODI world cup. Bangladesh needs a miracle to pull off a heist otherwise no chance.

Bangladesh is not going to win any. Afghanistan is not as bad this time as they were in the ODI world cup. Bangladesh needs a miracle to pull off a heist otherwise no chance.

Let's see.

Bangladesh generally always defeat Afghanistan in ICC events. I believe the record is something like 5-1. You can check the records.

Hoping for a good Super 8.

Let's see.

Bangladesh generally always defeat Afghanistan in ICC events. I believe the record is something like 5-1. You can check the records.

Hoping for a good Super 8.
4-0 in icc events. 3-0 in Odi and 1-0 in t20. But that may change this world cup

Bangladesh is out of this World Cup I believe. Yet another early exit for them.

Back