Dinesh Chandimal Discussion Thread

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
Looks a very talented young batsman. Future of Lankan batting ? :13:

Match winning hundred at Lords today :14:
134755.jpg

He played well but he should put his country ahead of his century next time. SL balcony looked seriously pissed. :sachin

And did it in style

Bresnan to Chandimal, SIX, finally! There's the hundred, Chandimal smashing the ball over wide long-on! Sri Lanka's fans are delirious with joy, as is Chandimal - who gets a big hug from a relieved Mathews - but there are some stony faces on the Sri Lanka balcony

This is his second hundred in only his 6th ODI

SL fans now understand what Indian fans have to go thru for last 20 years....milestones over team :sachin

He played well but he should put his country ahead of his century next time. SL balcony looked seriously pissed. :sachin

That's all i wanted to know , so this man loves scoring the hundreds :13:
Sri Lanka you are safe :19:

I didn't see him go up to Matthews and ask to play as many dot balls as he (Matthews) did.

Infact he wanted to get on with the game.

playing out 9 dot balls at fag end of innings with win not quite in bag. What for? To get your precioussss century. Well done Gollum

Yeah a 10 ball 15 would have been better than this effort? :afridi
They won with 10 balls remaining, what else do you want :13:

Seems a decent bat, though they won with quite a few balls to spare, the tactics were pretty bizarre close to the end.

It would have been HILARIOUS if SL had lost that due to this guy wanting to get a century!

If anything it was Matthews that wanted to give him the century. There was a point at which Chandimal was willing to take singles and Matthews turned them down.

No biggie.

Alastair Cook scored at less than a run a ball, Bell made 30 off 46 and Trott made 2 off 13 balls (!) in the powerplay.

Three playes who always value runs ahead of strike rate and posting a decent total in ODIs. I understand the argument that will be made regarding the importance of posting a score as wickets are tumbling, but only KP and Morgan have looked to bat to win matches. The other guys are just trying to cement their places with high quantity low-risk runs.

I don't know if any of you have played cricket, but if you were playing in that situation and your team mate was on the verge of a milestone, would you not make sure he gets there?

I don't know if any of you have played cricket, but if you were playing in that situation and your team mate was on the verge of a milestone, would you not make sure he gets there?

No.

But thats kinda ironic, considering your probably a massive fan of :sachin

If anything it was Matthews that wanted to give him the century. There was a point at which Chandimal was willing to take singles and Matthews turned them down.

No biggie.

Alastair Cook scored at less than a run a ball, Bell made 30 off 46 and Trott made 2 off 13 balls (!) in the powerplay.

Three playes who always value runs ahead of strike rate and posting a decent total in ODIs. I understand the argument that will be made regarding the importance of posting a score as wickets are tumbling, but only KP and Morgan have looked to bat to win matches. The other guys are just trying to cement their places with high quantity low-risk runs.

Totally agree with your post.

Nervous ninety's slowed him down, anyway well play though !

SL fans now understand what Indian fans have to go thru for last 20 years....milestones over team :sachin

True and We ( Indian fans ) absolutely love it . Every run that Sachin scores gives us tremendous joy and even when INDIA loses we celebrate his century and forget about the team's loss. Hope you are happy naw.

Btw this occasion is soon in the line , Imagine the Great Man scoring his 100th ton in England. Will be massive celebrations in India and lot of hype will be generated .

Yeah Lankans should be pleased to know that their talented youngster has got big ambitions

well played

both tons brings win for lanka :19:
thats the things matters most.

Looks like a fine prospect for the Lankans. Have heard that he is the next whizkid bat from Serendip.

However, the shambolic last few overs took some gloss off the victory.

Looks like a fine prospect for the Lankans. Have heard that he is the next whizkid bat from Serendip.

However, the shambolic last few overs took some gloss off the victory.

To be honest, he was trying to take singles.

It was Mathews declining it. Unreal.....

But yea, the kids got a great attitude, and is a good shot maker. One for the future, and will learn a LOT from the likes of Jaywardne and Sangakara.

To be honest, he was trying to take singles.

But yea, the kids got a great attitude, and is a good shot maker. One for the future, and will learn a LOT from the likes of Jaywardne and Sangakara.

There was one single chandimal turned down the over before, after which the dressing room started gesticulating and he stopped doing that. I'm also not too sure of his attempted dilscoops and six hitting when the required RR was 3 an over.

Last edited:
Lol at the end moments...what a nutter...Angelo.

Played some lovely shots and thoses smoking sixes were Razzaq-esque, left leg out of the way and crunching through the line of the ball. :razzaq

havnt seen him play but sounds too selfish!

risking a win for a century in a chasing effort.... thats over the top!

Since Salman Butt was made the captain of Pakistan's national test team.

Good bat.

I didn't mind him being selfish for his century. I don't mind any player being selfish for his century as long as the team wins.

No one should be minding that, anyway!

Good bat.

I didn't mind him being selfish for his century. I don't mind any player being selfish for his century as long as the team wins.

No one should be minding that, anyway!

we can go down the "all's well that..." path and give him a pat on the back.

or we could think "what ifs" and burn him down.

The thing is if SL were setting a target or he got under pressure and couldnt find gaps in his 90s (happens all the time to many players) would have been different kind of selfish and is understandable...

refusing singles and getting the nonstriker to stop scoring so that his century could be completed while RISKING a Win is tough to look over....

Chandimal's first hundred against India
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wysS8g8fpi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No doubt, great innings and definitely one for the future, looks very calm and plays nice cover drives too. hope he performs consistently and so happy srilanka wonnn the match

They won the match so it is ok. However, such behavior close to a century should not be endorsed.

This kid seems to have some serious talent. Looks like Mathews, Upul Tharanga and Chandimal may carry Sri Lanka's ODI batting into the future.

Can we add "Vs Umar Akmal" to the title as that seems to be the trend over here on pp.

No.

But thats kinda ironic, considering your probably a massive fan of :sachin

Blahhh

100 at Lords, doesn't come every day, Sachin has tried it a few times and even couldn't do it (well once in a charity match)

i think mathews was trying to do everything so that chandimal had enough runs to score so that he could get his century. the reason behind this is, because mathews missed out on his maiden century in tests, he even cried abt it, so thats probably the reason why mathews was so eager to let chandimal get his century, he knew how it was to get out in the 90's....

^^
guess who ran him out??? :sachin

karma is a b___. sachin is kinda stuck on 99 100s for the moment.

yes indeed is a very talented and i totally understand what he did in this match. A century at Lords is a gr8 honour and tbh SL never looked liked they were going to lose anyway.

@OP

Y do u keep starting threads for one match wonders.I think u even started a thread for nobodies like paul valhaty and some others

BUMP

Looks to be a real find for Sri Lanka. Compact technique and a genuine stroke player. Add to it his more than decent keeping and Lanka may have found a gem in him.

A ODI 100 in England and now twin 50s at Kingsmead in his debut test.

just a bit rash with his strokeplay, if he can rein himself in he can be their heir to Mahela, plays some lovely shots.

To me, alongside Kohli this lad, Dinesh Chandimal is the biggest talent from Sub continent.

He is so consistent and very reliable so early in his career!

Will be a key wicket to get in the Asia Cup for all teams.

yes he along with kohli are the best young upcoming batsman in world cricket currently.

Been following him since his test debut - very consistent player. Glad SL have found a young batsman for the future, was beginning to worry bout their batting after MJ and KS. The fact that he's scored a lot of his runs in conditions deemed most difficult for subcontinental batsman bodes well for the young man as well.

Great Talent. Though Ajmal and Afridi had him in their pocket whenever he played them but apart from that he has been amazingly consistent.
Good work by SL that they promoted him. Seems to be a typical middle order run-accumulator.

Probably the most consistant performer from the new comers in SL side. They will need a few more as they will seriously struggle otherwise once Mahela and Sanga go.

He is an excellent young player. I have been especially impressed with his temperamental strength in this CB series.

the thing very likeable about him is that he is getting better and better . definitely one to look for in the future.

Umar Akmal is no where near them two...

with Akmals talent he could have been ahead of both

thats the most hurting thing of it all

Take a look at how Kholi and Chandimal have been handled and then compare it to Umar. Those two also struggled while developing but they were not jerked around all over the lineup,

Me likes this batsman. He has arrived! Now only if Mathews become consistent with bat, SL is strong side once again then.

Mathews looks more fluent in his strokeplay to me but he hasn't really delivered. Yet to score a century in almost 70 games. In contrast, Chandimal already has two in 28 matches and scores 50s regularly. These two are SL's future and will form the core once Mahela and Sanga hang their boots.

There is a big differene when you bat number 6 and someone who bats at number 4.

Bump. Very good batting yesterday. If only other batsmen had supported him...

Seems to be very good in England, Australia and South Africa but mediocre in slow, spinning conditions.

Nevertheless, seems to be able to bat with the tail. I guess Lankans have found another promising keeper batsman after Sanga. If only they find some pacers who average under 40 for a start...

Holy thread resurrection etc etc.

What a horrible and selfish ODI and T20 player Chandimal has turned out to be. This year he’s played 13 odis and has a strike rate of 59 to go with a pathetic average of 20.

In T20s in 2016 and 2017 he has a strike rate of 107 lol.

Why is he still in the Lankan team when it comes to the shorter formats of the game?

Back