Doug Bollinger announces his retirement [Update Post #21]

Happy birthday ruggy !, OH and btw the perm i brought you is on its way through the post - keep an eye out for the post-man now wont you.

Good of Pakistan team to give Azhar ali wicket as gift to Bollinger very thoughtful

Doug Bollinger might be recalled for Pakistan Test series in UAE

Forgotten First-Class side New South Wales’ (NSW) fast bowler Doug Bollinger is reportedly in line for a shock recall to the Australian side, following waves of injuries that are diminishing the side’s fast bowling stocks.

Bollinger is currently front of mind with the selectors if they decide to take four fast bowlers to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for a two-Test series against Pakistan in October.

The first three obvious choices are Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle and Mitchell Starc, with the battle for a fourth spot looming between Bollinger and another forgotten Test paceman, Tasmania’s Ben Hilfenhaus, the Daily Telegraph reported.

But Bollinger’s experience and variation bowling on a flat Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) wicket gives him a significant advantage, with similar slow, low, spinning conditions expected in the UAE.

At 33, he appears in the twilight zone for a fast bowler, having not played Test cricket for almost four years and ODIs for three. But he was the most impressive paceman for NSW last season, claiming 31 Sheffield Shield wickets at 24 in eight games, impressing NSW coach Trevor Bayliss.

Bayliss said that last season Bollinger was the leader of the attack, playing the aggressive role, taking plenty of wickets at a good strike rate and a good economy rate.

Bollinger has also just come off a successful stint at Kent, claiming 27 wickets at 26 in eight games while Hilfenhaus claimed 21 Shield wickets at 34 last season, the report added.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...called-for-pakistan-test-series-in-uae-180841

He is a hostile bowler and will ruffle the feathers of our players who pretend to be batsmen.

Anyone who moves the ball even by a fraction of an inch will trouble our batsmen.

Bollinger IIRC took plenty of wickets against us when we toured Australia in 2010.

If we can make Thisara Perera look like Steyn, even their second tier pace bowlers will cause us problems.

Bollinger will become Wasim remember he has destroyed us in the past.

I'd have him over Starc.

Ideally he wouldn't be in line but with our sizeable injury list he deserves consideration.

I'm still holding out for Bird regaining fittness

The way our team played against Sri Lanka. The australian series is making me cry. :afaq

The way our team played against Sri Lanka. The australian series is making me cry. :afaq

Did you see the Australian batting today against spinners?

It's looming as a fight over who can collapse the least

Did you see the Australian batting today against spinners?

It's looming as a fight over who can collapse the least

Yes i agree that spin is the only hope but with a captain like misbah you dont hope anything.

Ajmal is finished in Tests, there is almost 0% chance of us toppling Australia.

Doug Bollinger Congratulated

Cricket Australia has congratulated Australian cricketer Doug Bollinger on his career, following his announcement to retire from the game today.

Bollinger represented Australia on 60 occasions across all three formats of the game in his international career, between 2009 and 2014.

The left-arm fast bowler from New South Wales played 12 Test matches, 39 One-Day Internationals (ODI) and nine T20 Internationals (T20I).

He made his international debut in the Test arena, on home soil at the SCG against South Africa in January 2009, before making his ODI debut a couple of months later against Pakistan in Dubai.

In 2011, Bollinger made his first appearance at T20I level, against South Africa in Durban.

The 36-year-old finishes his career with a bowling average under 28 in all three formats, including 50 Test wickets at an average of 25.92 and 62 ODI wickets at an average of 23.9.

Bollinger has also made a significant contribution at First-Class level in a career spanning 16 seasons, having made his debut in 2002-03, representing New South Wales and multiple Big Bash League franchises.

Cricket Australia chief executive officer James Sutherland paid tribute to the fast bowler:

“Doug has had a fantastic career, and we congratulate him on his achievements at international and domestic level,” Mr Sutherland said.

“He was a fierce competitor on the field who gave his all every time he represented his country. He was a skilful bowler who claimed more than 100 international wickets and enjoyed success against the best in the world.

“Doug has made a tremendous contribution to cricket in Australia across more than 15 years - we thank him for his service, and hope he remains involved in the game following his playing career.”

Back